Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1624 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288557Likes

post #48691 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Having an AVR does change things. Many manufacturers implement it differently. My Pioneer for instance automatically engages and allows HDR pass-through unlike Yamaha which you have to go in the settings and enable it.
Then there are cables......nuff said....lol.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
All BJC cables. Since before day 1. Your memory is failing you. This was the early days of the P-65 & Shield. Maybe things have stabilized for those two after a few firmware updates, but the DirecTV 4K box does not like having sub sampling enabled. Drop outs, black outs and various other handshake issues occur. Noted by @Matt McRae way back in the day.

Oops, I mean Full UHD Color.
rockaway1836 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48692 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Saw the firmware announcement ncement on set the other day but didn't get a chance to play yet. Will check it out, thanks Matt!

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
post #48693 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Just because you are getting a 4k channel doesn't indicate a good HDMI cable.

There have been others with similar issues that replaced cables with new ones and it fixed the issue.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's not the reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Where did I say that cables aren't the cause of a lot of problems? In fact, that's exactly what I did say. If changing a cable fixed someone's problem, then they must have had a bad cable.

O.K. fine.

I have a Murideo SIX-A signal analyzer that can tell me whether I'm getting a 4:2:0/24 signal, all the way up to a 4K 4:4:4/60 signal, indicate HDR metadata, and display signal bandwidth.

As an added bonus it has a cable test function. All my cables passed the 18Gb test.

There is still an issue that will cause sporadic black screens with UHD Full Color turned ON while there's an absence of a 4K 4:4:4/60 signal. The ONLY reason to turn that on is when you are actually getting that kind of signal. The DTV example I used was almost ideal in that neither the 4K channel, nor the 720P channel put out anything close to the data rates that 4K 4:4:4/60 put out. My cables are good, but I still get this issue unless I turn OFF the - totally not needed for my setup - Full UHD Color. Then I never see that problem again.

What's causing it is a mystery, with a ton of variables in the mix, but it isn't because of a cable.

Happy Fourth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48694 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Where did I say that cables aren't the cause of a lot of problems? In fact, that's exactly what I did say. If changing a cable fixed someone's problem, then they must have had a bad cable.

O.K. fine.

I have a Murideo SIX-A signal analyzer that can tell me whether I'm getting a 4:2:0/24 signal, all the way up to a 4K 4:4:4/60 signal, indicate HDR metadata, and display signal bandwidth.

As an added bonus it has a cable test function. All my cables passed the 18Gb test.

There is still an issue that will cause sporadic black screens with UHD Full Color turned ON while there's an absence of a 4K 4:4:4/60 signal. The ONLY reason to turn that on is when you are actually getting that kind of signal. The DTV example I used was almost ideal in that neither the 4K channel, nor the 720P channel put out anything close to the data rates that 4K 4:4:4/60 put out. My cables are good, but I still get this issue unless I turn OFF the - totally not needed for my setup - Full UHD Color. Then I never see that problem again.

What's causing it is a mystery, with a ton of variables in the mix, but it isn't because of a cable.

Happy Fourth!
"Bad cables can be the cause of a lot things, but they won't cause an unrecoverable black screen"

straight from your own words. Bad cables can cause this issue. Not sure where you got your information.

"If it was a bad cable, I wouldn't be getting the 4K channel in the first place."

Again this is false information. Just because you are able to pass information over the cable, does not eliminate it from being defective.

There are a lot more variables at play than you give credit for.

Last edited by skschatzman; 07-04-2017 at 12:21 PM.
post #48695 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Quote:

O.K. fine.

Happy Fourth!
"Bad cables can be the cause of a lot things, but they won't cause an unrecoverable black screen"

straight from your own words. Bad cables can cause this issue. Not sure where you got your information.

"If it was a bad cable, I wouldn't be getting the 4K channel in the first place."

Again this is false information. Just because you are able to pass information over the cable, does not eliminate it from being defective.

I agree. I had constant black screens while watching 4k content and never thought it would be my cables cause they were high dollar high speed cables. Switched to the monoprice certified and I haven't had a single issue since.
shoman94 and SamuraiXSendai like this.
post #48696 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
I have always had subsampling on, so I can't answer the first question. Last I remember, the Pro wouldn't allow HDR to be selected under its settings without subsampling on, so I dunno if that changed. I can certainly check later, as I also have FFXV.

Clear Action. Incoming long post hidden behind the spoiler tags.
Spoiler!
Thanks for the detailed response! My PC can run Witcher 3 in 4K but I cap it at 30 since certain times it will dip (and I actually think it still looks quite nice at 30 and the benefits of 4K on the game are very noticeable, especially with aliasing). There is also a motion blur option in the game (and just a "blur" option as well), would you recommend turning that on or off when using CA?
post #48697 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:

Admittedly, I could have worded that better. I was in a hurry. So there's your gotcha for the day!!

I know more about this stuff than you give me credit for. Most people don't run around with a Murideo SIX-A in their back pockets.

What I know for certain is that in my particular setup, the cable is not the problem, and I'm not the only one who found that by turning off the mostly un-necessary UHD Full Color, the issue went away without swapping cables. I used the word 'mostly" because I know that there is various gear out there that requires that setting.

First world problems.
post #48698 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon11 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response! My PC can run Witcher 3 in 4K but I cap it at 30 since certain times it will dip (and I actually think it still looks quite nice at 30 and the benefits of 4K on the game are very noticeable, especially with aliasing). There is also a motion blur option in the game (and just a "blur" option as well), would you recommend turning that on or off when using CA?
For 30fps, yes, I still recommend turning on motion blur even with CA on. 30fps looks HORRIFIC without motion blur, due to excessive judder. Embedded motion blur is a nice effect compared to pixel response blur and eye tracking motion blur. Depending on the game, I even turn it on at 60fps, though most of the time, 60fps look better with motion blur off. It depends if the game is using motion blur that blurs the whole screen, or partial/object motion blur. Partial/Object motion blur looks great. Full screen, not as often as it smears everything.

In all gaming situations, I still personally prefer CA always being on, despite the motion blur setting.
Daemon11 likes this.

Mad Lust Envy
post #48699 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@Matt McRae

Hey you’re working too hard Matt! It’s the 4 of July, take some time off for you and family.

On a side note, thank you for adding me to the beta, TV is updating now.

-Curt
post #48700 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I love that the new update allows you to use the directional buttons to move through input selection and picture mode selection left and right and more quickly select the input or mode you want without having to cycle all the way through, really a great improvement.
reallynotnick likes this.
post #48701 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Nice! You can hide inputs that you don't use now in the input settings.
This is something added in the beta, or regular current firmware?

Regarding doing a full reset after a firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
It is not necessary but sometimes it can clean up issues after a major update.
Just wondering how many of you do a reset after a new firmware hits? It's also fixed issues for me.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #48702 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachima View Post
Do you know what the link is for the offer that would have been shown? I wasn't around when my TV was upgraded and it was just skipped. I've e-mailed [email protected] for now. When I tried chat support they said:

and they also said they are a bit slow in processing requests right now due to the holiday. In the meantime I am able to use an XRT510 remote from another set with the new SmartCast app.
Here's a pic of the old and new remote.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #48703 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 5143 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Quote:
My Sammy K8500 would disagree with that statement. It's more content related, but I just streamed a bit of Amazon "Mozart in the Jungle" HDR-10 @ 4K/24, and then I tried some Flix "Iron Fist" and got the same signal/reading. "Meridian" was HDR-10 4K/60, but Full UHD Color is still turned OFF.

Bad cables can be the cause of a lot things, but they won't cause an unrecoverable black screen ( unless I soft reboot ) after simply switching from a DTV 4K channel to a DTV 720P channel with Full UHD Color turned on. Most likely a FW bug. Maybe 3.3.16.1 has addressed this, but I haven't tested it yet. If it was a bad cable, I wouldn't be getting the 4K channel in the first place. That's why I recommend leaving it off unless you've got some of that hardware you listed above, and have no choice.
I don't have a k8500 so I can't test that for sure but @thomasfxlt does and previously he needed it on for HDR streaming from it. Maybe things have changed where all HDR10​ casting content from Netflix was 60hz.

I have been able to enable HDR10 using HDR10 samples from http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/rm-uhdhdr-10.html on my Nvidia Shield with Full UHD Off. While the tv did show HDR yes, WCG was not enabled. Running color sweeps showed it was still in rec709 mode. Then I enabled Full UHD color and reran the color sweep and verified rec2020.
So while you are getting HDR yes from streaming content I don't think you are getting WCG, which you wouldn't see anyway since you don't own a WCG tv? Did you get a P?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post
All BJC cables. Since before day 1. Your memory is failing you. This was the early days of the P-65 & Shield. Maybe things have stabilized for those two after a few firmware updates, but the DirecTV 4K box does not like having sub sampling enabled. Drop outs, black outs and various other handshake issues occur. Noted by @Matt McRae way back in the day.

Oops, I mean Full UHD Color.
I'm sure there are hardware (device) incompatibilities as well.
Of course I don't remember......lol
But I have seen someone here swap out their bjc cable for monoprice certified to fix their issue. 😜
sonoftumble likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 07-04-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #48704 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
This is something added in the beta, or regular current firmware?

Regarding doing a full reset after a firmware update.

Just wondering how many of you do a reset after a new firmware hits? It's also fixed issues for me.
I do it every time because I saw a difference in calibration when I didn't do ever since then I have done it religiously.

Mustang66 and Jasonn B like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #48705 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Here's a pic of the old and new remote.

Yea and now there is a new new remote. (XRT136)

post #48706 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon11 View Post
I love that the new update allows you to use the directional buttons to move through input selection and picture mode selection left and right and more quickly select the input or mode you want without having to cycle all the way through, really a great improvement.
Nice, I'll try that....

wolfanoodle likes this.

post #48707 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Question

WHERE did you notice that? And what is new with this remote, over the XRT135?

Quote:
As a side note... Anyone notice that a new remote is coming out?
XRT136.....
I tried to get it but it said my TV doesn't have SmartCast.
post #48708 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
WHERE did you notice that? And what is new with this remote, over the XRT135?
On a full reset it will pop up first thing with a link.

post #48709 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the link for the XRT136 remote.
Link removed
@Matt McRae why is this not available to me when I enter the given code? Says my device isn't compatible.

zer0cool2007 and naustin like this.

Last edited by shoman94; 07-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
post #48710 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks. When I enter my SN at that link, I get no reply, it simply bumps me to the Support search page.

My guess is this link will only fully work once the next firmware is release...

Update: Odd, I just noticed the Smartcast app adds a couple #s in front of the SN when compared to the sticker on the TV. Now I get:

"Thank You.
Your TV/Home Theater Display is not eligible for SmartCast TV or a free remote control. If you feel that this is in error, you can hit the back button to try again. If you’ve already done so, you can click here to contact a VIZIO customer service agent."

The title of this page is "Remote Not Affected".

Quote:
https://full-vizio.cs70.force.com/s/...language=en_US
@Matt McRae why is this not available to me when I enter the given code? Says my device isn't compatible.

Last edited by libertyforall; 07-04-2017 at 03:48 PM.
post #48711 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Doesn't seem to like my serial number either.
rockaway1836 likes this.
post #48712 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
For the Xbox when you go into the app it is switching modes which is why it happens on the apps. The problem is likely your cables.

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the P75-C1 and the cable that with the PS4 Pro.
post #48713 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. When I enter my SN at that link, I get no reply, it simply bumps me to the Support search page.

Update: Odd, I just noticed the Smartcast app adds a couple #s in front of the SN when compared to the sticker on the TV. Now I get:

"Thank You.
Your TV/Home Theater Display is not eligible for SmartCast TV or a free remote control. If you feel that this is in error, you can hit the back button to try again. If you’ve already done so, you can click here to contact a VIZIO customer service agent."
I get the same ineligible message.

post #48714 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It says I'm not eligible when using my P75-C1 serial number. Based on that webpage it looks like this remote has app specific buttons on it unlike the XRT135.
post #48715 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Admittedly, I could have worded that better. I was in a hurry. So there's your gotcha for the day!!

I know more about this stuff than you give me credit for. Most people don't run around with a Murideo SIX-A in their back pockets.

What I know for certain is that in my particular setup, the cable is not the problem, and I'm not the only one who found that by turning off the mostly un-necessary UHD Full Color, the issue went away without swapping cables. I used the word 'mostly" because I know that there is various gear out there that requires that setting.

First world problems.
The problem with those cable testers is they are only able to tell you what the cable can or can't do. Pass or fail.

The one thing they can't do is guarantee a cable is free of defects that cause abnormal behavior. There are many things that can make a cable defective, even if your cable tester shows all tests pass.

Skunka likes this.
post #48716 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post
Same here. Enter it and land at basically a blank page
post #48717 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunka View Post
I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the P75-C1 and the cable that with the PS4 Pro.
I would recommend that you get some monoprice 18gbps certified cables. They have worked beat for me in all instances. The included Vizio cable didn't work for me.

taz291819, dsertedsun and Skunka like this.

post #48718 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post
Nor mine
post #48719 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4771 Post(s)
Liked: 2801
Quote:

"Thank You.
I got the same thing but don't care as I use a Harmony remote.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #48720 of 64317 Old 07-04-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

@shoman94 Thanks for the link for the remote, just got the new firmware.

When I enter my sn (P65-E1)I get this message;

"Thank you for your interest in the XRT136 remote control. Our records indicate that you are able to access SmartCast TV from your current remote by using the input button. If you would like to upgrade to the XRT136 remote control, you can click here to purchase it for only $5.99".
When I try to purchase I get a 404 page not found.

What does the XRT136 have that the XRT135 dosn't?
For that price a spare would be great.

I'll call tomorrow!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page