Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1654 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #49591 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoReVeR0515 View Post
@Matt McRae I know you're a busy guy, but I wanted to see if you could add my replacement display's serial to the beta. I had my original added, but have since had to have it replaced. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post
Let me know if you beta please. I have sent Matt my replacement (mainboard) serial numerous times, both here on he forum and private message and no reply and no beta. Wonder if having the mainboard replaced is creating some sort of issue...but I can't figure out why it would.
Try sending an email to [email protected]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49592 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I dunno... Game or HDMI cable problem?

Yeah, I don't know...probably me
I did happen to place an order a couple of days ago for several 10ft Monoprice certified premium high speed cables...they were on sale for only $2.81 a piece. I'll see what these do...
post #49593 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon11 View Post
How can you be sure they'll work with the P-Series, it's a web based OS for the apps that they haven't used on previous models... Also, the point was not having to buy anything else..
Because I use this XRT500 remote with my P65-C1 and the beta software.
$9 worth it, has a keyboard too, nice for typing in Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49594 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Question

Joined this club, ordered a P55-E1 from Costco Canada, hopefully it will arrive within a week
Now, I would like to know -
Do I need to enroll beta for 4k HDR streaming? Is the smartcast equivalent to Chromecast 'Ulta'?
Can someone suggest some 4k HDR content for testing it (I don't have any 4k hdr bluray player)?
post #49595 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
+1

I find it interesting that folks will have no problem spending big bucks on a display and then get all crazy about a free 3 dollar remote. 10 bucks for a much better remote with a keyboard is mere pittance when put in perspective of the money spent for the display. The free remote surely isn't worth 4 or 5 pages of posts in this thread we've had to tread through recently.
Mustang66, tdwilli1, jinj and 2 others like this.
post #49596 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin82485 View Post

Yeah, I don't know...probably me
I did happen to place an order a couple of
days ago for several 10ft Mono Price certified
premium high speed cables...they were on sale
for only $2.81 a piece. I'll see what these do.

Oh, a sale. I may have to get me some cables, too.

I suppose the 10-footers would work for you,
but some time back, there was talk that HDMI
ports were designed/tuned for 6-foot lengths,
optimally. Just something to keep in mind.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #49597 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
+1

I find it interesting that folks will have no problem
spending big bucks on a display and then get all crazy
about a free 3 dollar remote. 10 bucks for a much better
remote with a keyboard is mere pittance when put in
perspective of the money spent for the display.

The free remote surely isn't worth 4 or 5 pages of posts in
this thread we've had to tread through recently.

I guess the 'Remote Thread' didn't catch the signal.
Nor did the idea of a P-Series Gamers Thread.
(I better run and hide.)

If that's the same 'keyboard' remote I used before, I didn't
like the button response. The recent remotes are much
better.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #49598 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Been getting more than a comfortable amount of "soft reboot" behavior as the TV blacks out but the power LED remains on. Sometimes the picture comes back, other times the set full reboots (big V icon), but have had a couple of instances where it refuses to responded to the X135 remote or Harmony. It has happened with both SmartCast and HDMI1. I'll pay closer attention to specifics if it happens again.
Quote:
I'll tell you one thing, after watching the first scene after the cold open of GoT last night (with the cloud of snow) I appreciate HDR even more and wish HBO Now had it in some shape or form. The banding on the cloud was so prominent it really did not look good, although I do think the compression HBO Now has is partly to blame, as it looked pretty bad when snow was falling in front of characters later in the episode (the dreaded confetti effect). GoT is a series I think would greatly benefit in general from HDR though, even without 4K (since it's not possible with the Arri Alexa they shot most of the series with).
The problem isn't the lack of HDR, but the savage levels of compression HBO GO/NOW is applying. We watched it on GO on Roku 3 to my Sharp Aquos at the g/f's place the banding was appalling. Also noticed issues with Twin Peaks on Showtime Anytime and some months back there were screenshots of Green Room from Amazon showing banding. This is a supply-side issue and what makes me mad that physical media is being killed off for inferior streaming just as CDs got whacked by Spotify and iTunes.

Picked up an open box Sony UDP-X800 yesterday and one very nice feature is it has YouTube HDR so suck it, CCU!!! I didn't have much time to test it, but it was having frequent blackouts so I suspect I have a duff cable in there; I've ordered some replacements and will report back.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #49599 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Doesn't have a Hulu button, and I don't recall seeing any Vizio remote having one until the new yet to be released XRT136, so that button will be brand new (Crackle too I believe)
post #49600 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 117
So has anyone outside the beta group received the firmware with the onscreen apps yet?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #49601 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Been getting more than a comfortable amount of "soft reboot" behavior as the TV blacks out but the power LED remains on. Sometimes the picture comes back, other times the set full reboots (big V icon), but have had a couple of instances where it refuses to responded to the X135 remote or Harmony. It has happened with both SmartCast and HDMI1. I'll pay closer attention to specifics if it happens again.
The problem isn't the lack of HDR, but the savage levels of compression HBO GO/NOW is applying. We watched it on GO on Roku 3 to my Sharp Aquos at the g/f's place the banding was appalling. Also noticed issues with Twin Peaks on Showtime Anytime and some months back there were screenshots of Green Room from Amazon showing banding. This is a supply-side issue and what makes me mad that physical media is being killed off for inferior streaming just as CDs got whacked by Spotify and iTunes.

Picked up an open box Sony UDP-X800 yesterday and one very nice feature is it has YouTube HDR so suck it, CCU!!! I didn't have much time to test it, but it was having frequent blackouts so I suspect I have a duff cable in there; I've ordered some replacements and will report back.
Yeah I know, but honestly, the quality of these streaming apps (especially Netflix and Amazon) blow away traditional live TV service like cable and satellite in terms of quality, bandwidth, and compression. I remember watching Dish and seeing artifacts on any fast moving images or even around score bugs and logo bugs. We've come along way, and honestly HBO Now has been pretty decent (for a network 1080p streaming app), watching True Detective and older GoT episodes have looked quite good, not Netflix level but I think they'll get there eventually. I'm sure the HUGE hit HBO's servers took for the premiere had a lot to do with it, they had to choke down on the bandwidth considerably in order to keep everyone streaming, which is understandable, and again, still better than HBO signal from Cable or Satellite as far as I've seen. I'm not too worried about the future of streaming, Netflix and Amazon are a big reason why 4K HDR content is growing as rapidly as it is, the adoption is instantaneous, people don't have to buy new discs or players so long as their TV is compatible. And as the rate of internet speeds continues to get faster and faster across the nation we'll only see less compression and better quality as time goes on. Hopefully HBO sees the success Netflix is having and adopts 4K HDR for their apps very soon, I think it would boost their rep as a true streaming competitor.
D.R.Archer likes this.
post #49602 of 64096 Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
+1

I find it interesting that folks will have no problem spending big bucks on a display and then get all crazy about a free 3 dollar remote. 10 bucks for a much better remote with a keyboard is mere pittance when put in perspective of the money spent for the display. The free remote surely isn't worth 4 or 5 pages of posts in this thread we've had to tread through recently.
Again, it's not about just getting and using the remote, I need it to learn IR commands to my harmony without having to take up one of the 8 devices it's arbitrarily limited too... So this remote with a new crackle and hulu button is important to me for programming functions only.
post #49603 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by him7403 View Post
Joined this club, ordered a P55-E1 from Costco Canada, hopefully it will arrive within a week
Do I need to enroll beta for 4k HDR streaming? Is the smartcast equivalent to Chromecast 'Ulta'?
Can someone suggest some 4k HDR content for testing it (I don't have any 4k hdr bluray player)?
You don't need the beta for 4K and HDR.
The SmartCast is not identical to the CCU, but it's close. It doesn't support YouTube HDR and it doesn't support [email protected] Dolby Vision content (only up to [email protected]).

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #49604 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4582 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
@Matt McRae

A few of things on the current pre-release FW:

1) On Saturday I watched Fate of the Furious UHD from beginning to end, and didn't experience a single issue. DV engaged on my Vizio and all was excellent with one exception. I paused the movie for a short break. When I came back, the Oppo screensaver was on. Hit a key on the remote and found the Universal screensaver. When I got out of that, the movie was all purple. I simply stopped, restarted, and finished the movie without issue. I'm running split HDMI out with new Monoprice Premium Certified cables (no previous issues), video direct to the Vizio and audio to my Denon. Current release FW on the 203, and current beta/prerelease FW on the Vizio, which I suspect is where the issue is.

I saw Fate of the Furious in DV last night and didn't have a single problem either. I didn't pause the movie long enough for the Oppo screen saver to come on, sorry. Thought the movie was very good.

lujan
558 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #49605 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by him7403 View Post
In Canada, Netflix and Amazon. No VUDU.
pashine likes this.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
post #49606 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I know, but honestly, the quality of these streaming apps (especially Netflix and Amazon) blow away traditional live TV service like cable and satellite in terms of quality, bandwidth, and compression. I remember watching Dish and seeing artifacts on any fast moving images or even around score bugs and logo bugs. We've come along way, and honestly HBO Now has been pretty decent (for a network 1080p streaming app), watching True Detective and older GoT episodes have looked quite good, not Netflix level but I think they'll get there eventually. I'm sure the HUGE hit HBO's servers took for the premiere had a lot to do with it, they had to choke down on the bandwidth considerably in order to keep everyone streaming, which is understandable, and again, still better than HBO signal from Cable or Satellite as far as I've seen. I'm not too worried about the future of streaming, Netflix and Amazon are a big reason why 4K HDR content is growing as rapidly as it is, the adoption is instantaneous, people don't have to buy new discs or players so long as their TV is compatible. And as the rate of internet speeds continues to get faster and faster across the nation we'll only see less compression and better quality as time goes on. Hopefully HBO sees the success Netflix is having and adopts 4K HDR for their apps very soon, I think it would boost their rep as a true streaming competitor.
Hbo now/go is terrible with banding and compression and my particular setup is 200 down and 20 up speeds. If you want to watch GOT in all its splendor, you have 2 choices...
1. Wait for the entire season to come out on bluray.
2. Watch on demand ... Comcast and Directv always stream/download in 1080p for this show. I can't speak for other cable/satellite services.
post #49607 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I haven't been in here for a while, but i want to add that the zones dim the whole screen with subtitles again since this update.

P55

Ill take a search and see if Matt has commented recently.
post #49608 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg2006 View Post
have the same problem no much difference with hdr gaming i also have the Xbox One X
Xbox One X? Are you a special person or something? If so I'm a little jealous
SamuraiXSendai likes this.
post #49609 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Ok this is for those watching broadcast media and want a better experience. I watched GOT season premiere and I saw what everyone else saw as far as banding goes. There is only so much you can do to reduce the severity of it.

1. Use Calibrated Dark. By using a lower backlight setting, you are reducing the space between banded colors, effectively making it less visable. The higher your backlight, the more visible. I used 15 for watching GOT in a dark room. If you run into crushed black issues(everything looks too dark), then #2 can help.

2. Set the correct brightness level. Even though a lot of these displays the default is the right setting, sometimes you may need to make small adjustments. Go to the following link to set brightness.
Make sure you are sitting at your normal sitting position while you adjust this. Do not stand close to the display or at an off-angle. Adjust brightness up or down until 16 becomes invisible, but 17 is visible. If you can't, it's always better to see 17 at the cost of seeing a little bit of 16 than it is to not see 17 at all.

3. Set your contrast as well with the following link.
Make sure you can see 234 and not 235. If you can't, it's always better to see both than it is to not see 234.

4. Check brightness again. Check contrast again. Until you make no more adjustments. Then go to 5.

5. Adjust sharpness. For me I usually leave it at 0 for most content, but some broadcast media may need a nudge here. I do not recommend going over 10 here.

6. Get a professional calibration. Even though there are a lot of posted settings by some of us, it will not be perfect as no display is exactly alike. Even if it's the same model/size.

7. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Skunka likes this.
post #49610 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anyone experience faint looking white blotchs in random area's of the screen if you turn the TV on without a signal?

Also when it says for instance no signal HDMI 5 or whatever there white from the lettering bleeds everywhere.

When i turn on my AVR and the splash screen comes up for the Yamaha, these while blotches disappear.

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 07-18-2017 at 09:56 AM.
post #49611 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can get HBO/GoT through Amazon's Prime streaming. A lot better picture quality.
post #49612 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
New Beta Firmware available

We are enabling 3.3.18.1 for AVS Forum testers... The updates include:

1. Ethernet connectivity fixes
2. Improved CEC/ARC behavior
3. UHD support on Amazon Video
4. Improvements to MEMC
5. New info for different Dolby audio standards
6. Long folder/filename support in USB player
7. Final fixes to retain color tuner settings for all resolutions/inputs

Many of these were pointed out or suggested by testers here on the forum. VIZIO truly appreciates your testing and feedback! This is a candidate release to the wider audience and we are rolling up additional fixes into a minor release in the coming weeks (this will inlaced blue shift using Xbox, Google play blinking/flickering, 25/50/100 EDID support, and other minor items).

I am on a flight right now... but will also be scrubbing my private messages for serials to get the added to the group later today.

Thank you again!

Matt
post #49613 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post

4. Improvements to MEMC

Many of these were pointed out or suggested by testers here on the forum. VIZIO truly appreciates your testing and feedback! This is a candidate release to the wider audience and we are rolling up additional fixes into a minor release in the coming weeks (this will inlaced blue shift using Xbox, Google play blinking/flickering, 25/50/100 EDID support, and other minor items).

I am on a flight right now... but will also be scrubbing my private messages for serials to get the added to the group later today.

Thank you again!

Matt
This is most excellent @Matt McRae !!! I'm sure I speak for most, thank you and the Vizio Co. brand as well. We also appreciate the consistent thorough support you've shown this model line!
post #49614 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6510 Post(s)
Liked: 6225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Anyone experience faint looking white blotchs in random area's of the screen if you turn the TV on without a signal?

Also when it says for instance no signal HDMI 5 or whatever there white from the lettering bleeds everywhere.

When i turn on my AVR and the splash screen comes up for the Yamaha, these while blotches disappear.

No input and when the TV 1st starts are usually when FALD is disabled. This is why you see what you do. When your AVR is sending a signal, FALD is active. You can test this by turning FALD off and see the results
post #49615 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:

4. Improvements to MEMC

Thank you again!

Matt
Matt, I'm not home to test yet. But do the Amazon app updates now include HDR and DV support?
post #49616 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:

4. Improvements to MEMC

Thank you again!

Matt
4. Motion Estimation/Motion Compensation
Better motion handling. Awesome. A lot of people wanted that.
7. My number 1 issue. I hope it's fixed. I'll test tonight.

Exciting times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
shoman94, rightintel and Skunka like this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 07-18-2017 at 10:43 AM.
post #49617 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Matt, I'm not home to test yet. But do the Amazon app updates now include HDR and DV support?
HDR is waiting on Amazon certification... it is coming shortly but I don't have a defined date. Might be tied to our next release but will keep you updated.
post #49618 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM

Liked: 8
Quote:
HDR is waiting on Amazon certification... it is coming shortly but I don't have a defined date. Might be tied to our next release but will keep you updated.
Just tested @puddy77 . As @Matt McRae just stated, navigating to "The Grand Tour" for instance, menu specs describes UHD and HDR. During the stream it only got to (UHD) 2160p: Normal. No HDR. Hopefully next update.
post #49619 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
We are enabling 3.3.18.1 for AVS Forum testers...
Thanks Matt. Patch Tuesday
post #49620 of 64096 Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Quote:
I'll tell you one thing, after watching the first scene after the cold open of GoT last night (with the cloud of snow) I appreciate HDR even more and wish HBO Now had it in some shape or form. The banding on the cloud was so prominent it really did not look good, although I do think the compression HBO Now has is partly to blame, as it looked pretty bad when snow was falling in front of characters later in the episode (the dreaded confetti effect). GoT is a series I think would greatly benefit in general from HDR though, even without 4K (since it's not possible with the Arri Alexa they shot most of the series with).

I get blackouts with YouTube hdr also on the x800. I'm running monoprice ultra high speed certified cables too. I turn off full uhd color and it stops. You will still get hdr on Netflix and discs, but the flickering is so annoying. I haven't found a fix yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page