Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1687 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288526Likes

post #50581 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Last time I checked DNS severs has nothing to do with this forum or talks about TCL and other brands but when others do it's ok. There is a lot of hypocrites on this page
sonoftumble likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50582 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndieArmy View Post
Essentially, this only matters if one device has a much better decoder than the other. PCM is decoded by the TV, bitstream will send the data to your soundbar to do the decoding.

In this situation, you most likely won't notice a difference with either choice and can pick either one.

Another situation where you'd want to pick PCM is on Blu-Ray players when watching a Blu-Ray with narration over top. In order to get this secondary audio, you need to select PCM on the Blu-Ray player.
Would it handy or even practical to present scenarios below that reflect the TV capabilities it seems there could be too many possibilities and scenarios to consider.

DTS-MA/Dolby TruHD: since the TV ARC wont handle HD audio

(HDMI 1-out) --> (HDMI) TV {speakers off)
Blu-Ray (set to PCM if your AVR cant decode or Bitstream is AVR can decode)
(HDMI 2-out) --> (HDMI) AVR

Casting:
TV (Bitstream) {ARC} --> (HDMI) AVR
imobilizer likes this.
post #50583 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post
Not in the beta and received update today on my P65-C1. I did order the remote yesterday.
From what was posted earlier in this thread, it seems that if you request the remote, they go ahead and add your serial to the beta. That, or it's a one-time entry for your display to receive the 3.3.18.1 update. Without the update, you wouldn't really be able to put the extra functionality of the new remote to use anyway, so makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50584 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoReVeR0515 View Post
From what was posted earlier in this thread, it seems that if you request the remote, they go ahead and add your serial to the beta. That, or it's a one-time entry for your display to receive the 3.3.18.1 update. Without the update, you wouldn't really be able to put the extra functionality of the new remote to use anyway, so makes sense.
I've requested and received the XRT135 and XRT136 remotes. I'm still at 3.2.13.3 on my P65-C1. Patiently waiting but appreciating the free software upgrade on a year old display.
mpgxsvcd and blatz8 like this.

Vizio P65-C1
Vizio SB4551-D5
post #50585 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOKeeffe View Post
I agree, as consumer preferences change the metrics (and weightings) used to evaluate products should shift similarly. We are currently working on a mid-season update to the test bench (will be released August 10th) and as part of this, 720p upscaling will be removed from the 'Movies' score completely and 480p input will reduce in weight (due to DVDs). For TV shows, 480p upscaling will be removed completely from the scoring. You're right that we don't currently test for de-interlacing performance. It's on our list of things to add, but we've got limited resources so tend to prioritize higher demand updates. Feedback from consumers helps us to figure out the right prioritization of tests.
@DanielOKeeffe

One last thing. The TCL p607 has a native contrast ratio of 6437 : 1 which is great and a local dimming contrast ratio of 7269 : 1 which is good. The 2017 P-series has a native contrast ratio of 4675 : 1 which is sub par and a local dimming contrast ratio of 9271 : 1 which is OUTSTANDING. However, the Contrast score is 100% based on Native contrast ratio.

There is almost no reason to ever use the Vizio P-series with local dimming turned off. At the very least this score should be 50%:50% between Native and with local dimming. However, Local dimming is so prevalent now I really think that if you are recommending using the display with it on then the contrast ratio score should be 100% based on the way you recommend using the TV.

I understand that local dimming wasn’t always desirable in the past. I believe that has changed now though.

It is important to understand that the only changes to the scoring that I have recommended will only significantly help the Vizio displays. There will be no significant change to any of the other brands with these changes. In light of that fact I went through all of the other categories for all of the brands in the same way I did for the Vizio displays. The interesting thing is that I literally could not find anything else I would recommend changing except for the things that I have already stated.

I think that besides those few exceptions the reviews are fair and balanced and accurately represent the capabilities of the TVs and displays. It is important to understand that with these changes the scores of the Vizio displays will be significantly altered. In my opinion that will finally give these Vizio displays the fair shake they deserve.
blatz8 likes this.
post #50586 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith2007 View Post
In other news. Just got my 4th P65 from Vizio as a replacement. Dead/stuck pixels in the top left, bottom right, and bottom left. Onto number 5?

#venting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish there was a "Dislike" button for posts like this. Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. I know how tough that is. It was such a pain to deal with for me earlier this year. In the end I got the display I wanted and had paid for but it was frustrating before that.

I hope it gets resolved for you. It truly is a great display.
shoman94 likes this.
post #50587 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:01 PM

Here goes The TCL talks again.... LOL. But i guess it's ok 4 that dude to do that right? Smh
post #50588 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Why are u crying about what another tv brand score was 4 there tv when this is a Vizio p series 2016/17 Forum? Who cares about TCL!! U should just enjoy the Great tv vizio has developed 4 us owners! If u mad go buy a TCL then this way u can stop the crying about why they have a better score than the vizio. I love my p series
Rico167 likes this.
post #50589 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'neil026 View Post
Does anyone have a 2016 or 17 P series tv and also a Vizio smartcast sound bar? If so what should i set my tv audio to, should i select PCM, Dolby digital, bitstream or leave it on auto when it comes to watching 5.1 movies from Netflix. Which option will get me the best sound?

Bit stream.

post #50590 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Why are u crying about what another tv brand score was 4 there tv when this is a Vizio p series 2016/17 Forum? Who cares about TCL!! U should just enjoy the Great tv vizio has developed 4 us owners! If u mad go buy a TCL then this way u can stop the crying about why they have a better score than the vizio. I love my p series
I was giving them feedback on why their scoring system unfairly penalizes the Vizio displays especially the P-series. I used another brand's TV to demonstrate that unfair penalty. Like I said in my post I feel that their scores have been unfairly misrepresenting just the Vizio displays for the last several years. I don't think they are doing it maliciously but I do think the problems with their scoring system has been shelved for long enough.

I trust that their scoring update will finally treat all TVs and displays equally and fairly.
post #50591 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6572 Post(s)
Liked: 6341
Quote:
Why when ever someone talks about the vizio p series and there sound bars it's not ok but it's ok for u guys to have like 20 pages long about DNS severs really guys? Smh what are u GOD?

DNS settings affect the functionality of the TV. That is VERY useful for someone that is having issues casting with their TV. Asking what some random settings should be used on the soundbar would fit what should be discussed in that soundbars owners thread. Your initial question was OK (what setting should I use on the TV). It's like if someone came in and said what gas should I use with my car (it's valid since I went and picked up with TV with it). Trying to keep the thread focused on the P series so that when current owners and prospective owners browse it is difficult enough.
Also, making random sarcastic comments doesn't help your case.
post #50592 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Remote

How long did it take for you guys to get the remote from Vizio? I got a thank you for my order from Vizio over a month ago and still no remote. It is sooo frustrating cause I got the new firmware.
post #50593 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamoon View Post
How long did it take for you guys to get the remote from Vizio? I got a thank you for my order from Vizio over a month ago and still no remote. It is sooo frustrating cause I got the new firmware.
Vizio stated that the requests from about that time frame were nullified as it wasn't intended to be accessed yet. You have to resubmit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #50594 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamoon View Post
Both remotes were in my hands within a week of ordering. 5 and 6 days, respectively, IIRC. You may want to contact Vizio to see where yours nipped off to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
There is almost no reason to ever use the Vizio P-series with local dimming turned off.
*cough*STARFIELDS!!!*cough* Anyone using ALZ is missing out on the pure gray beauty of STARFIELDS as Lemmy intended them!!! Turn it off!!!!
Ph8te and shoman94 like this.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #50595 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I don't understand what this fuss is about having the correct DNS settings for casting. I cant imagine DNS lookup time really affecting performance experience. DNS queries take milliseconds.

Now what would affect one experience is an improperly configured routers DHCP server handing out bad name servers or a router blocking DNS lookup or forwarding. Using a nameserver that doesn't allow lookups from devices not assigned to their network would hinder proper lookups or if your ISP's name server was overloaded and/or returning old or bad data.

If your device is behind your router (as most are) and your router is obtaining its ipconfig via DHCP from your ISP (as most are) then just configure your routers DHCP server using the same DNS. put in your routers IP address as preferred DNS server if needed. Many routers DHCP servers will default to resolving addresses for their clients.

I am interested in hearing a reasonable explanation why using miscellaneous name servers is resolving people casting issues other than the real culprit being improperly configured router and or their DHCP server.
reallynotnick likes this.
post #50596 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I gave up on casting DirecTV Now. It sucks no matter what you cast on. It's DirecTV's fault IMO.
I bought a Fire TV for DirecTV Now and haven't looked back.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
I know I'm a week late... Casting DirecTV Now through the included Vizio tablet works fine for me. Just chiming in.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #50597 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Covering grey bezel

So my replacement panel is here. Honestly, not sold on it yet. Some significant banding. But what struck me -- now that it's mounted -- is that the grey bezel is very distracting. I'm so used to black.

Has anyone covered the grey bezel? I sit 12-13' away. Electrical tape wouldn't be noticeable. But that's a little low brow... I read a thread/post about a guy who taped off his screen and sprayed the bezel black. No shot I'm trying that!

Somewheee in he middle maybe.
post #50598 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmikey12 View Post
So my replacement panel is here. Honestly, not sold on it yet. Some significant banding. But what struck me -- now that it's mounted -- is that the grey bezel is very distracting. I'm so used to black.

Has anyone covered the grey bezel? I sit 12-13' away. Electrical tape wouldn't be noticeable. But that's a little low brow... I read a thread/post about a guy who taped off his screen and sprayed the bezel black. No shot I'm trying that!

I honestly can't understand how people even notice the color of the bezel, especially in a darkened room. If whatever you're watching is so uncompelling and incapable of holding your interest that you're more concerned with fretting about those darn distracting strips of frame around the bright glowing rectangle of entertainment, then perhaps a more scintillating entertainment option is required. Good thing you didn't get one of those Cylon chrome Samsung sets. So shiny!

Image quality problems, banding, DSE, poor uniformity, dead pixels, wacky colors - all legitimate concerns. Bezel color, not so much IMNSHO. It's like complaining about how Emily Ratajkowski is hanging all over you, but, you know, the color of the dish rack next to her sink doesn't really go with the color of the backsplash and you think you're gonna break up with her as if as if anyone is looking at the DISH rack!

Just my 1/50th of dollar.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #50599 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunka View Post
I know I'm a week late... Casting DirecTV Now through the included Vizio tablet works fine for me. Just chiming in.
I've been casting DirecTV Now from the tablet remote and my phone without issues for a couple months now. I just wish the guide would auto update when you open the app back up.
post #50600 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Has anyone experienced an issue when switching from the casting input to Input 5? I often game on Input 5 unless a game features HDR. Here lately, and more often than not, when switching from "Cast" to "Input 5," the TV will freeze for about 20 seconds then reboot itself. What's strange is that if I try to recreate it, I can't get it to happen again for the rest of the night. I'm on firmware 3.2.13.1.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #50601 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:

The grey bezel is very distracting. I'm so used to black.
Has anyone covered the grey bezel? I sit 12-13' away...

Someone a while back posted a link to some 'special' tape
from Amazon.

It's not so much the color...

There is a legit concern for the 'jeweled' bezel that I've already
seen give off reflections with bright objects/scenes. However,
it's not normally noticed with my night viewing overall, so I never
taped mine. (Now I'll see it tonight, because of yours and my post.)

The worst is certain daylight scenarios producing intense
Iridium Flare-like reflections.

Give it some time. You're mostly likely to get use to it, if most or all
your viewing is at night.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #50602 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Quote:

I honestly can't understand how people even notice the color of the bezel, especially in a darkened room. If whatever you're watching is so uncompelling and incapable of holding your interest that you're more concerned with fretting about those darn distracting strips of frame around the bright glowing rectangle of entertainment, then perhaps a more scintillating entertainment option is required. Good thing you didn't get one of those Cylon chrome Samsung sets. So shiny!

Image quality problems, banding, DSE, poor uniformity, dead pixels, wacky colors - all legitimate concerns. Bezel color, not so much IMNSHO. It's like complaining about how Emily Ratajkowski is hanging all over you, but, you know, the color of the dish rack next to her sink doesn't really go with the color of the backsplash and you think you're gonna break up with her as if as if anyone is looking at the DISH rack!

Just my 1/50th of dollar.
Thank you for this worthless slew of words. I notice it because it is in a dark cherry media center that is pretty dark. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially on content with black bars at the top and bottom. The contrast is quite striking.

Like my post said, it's a problem for me. Perhaps 99% of people love the thing. I don't, and, accordingly, was looking to the group for some suggestions. Thank you to the other poster who actually contributed something meaningful
post #50603 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Quote:

The grey bezel is very distracting. I'm so used to black.
Has anyone covered the grey bezel? I sit 12-13' away...

from Amazon.

Thanks! I'll find that post
post #50604 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
from Amazon.

You asked for a screen shot of the odd format of your postings. Here you go. Paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences. This is via the Tapatalk android app.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.
post #50605 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Last time I checked, DNS severs has nothing to do with this forum...

Check again. There are DNS settings in the Tablet/Display.
If the discussion drifts into detailed chat about DNS in general, then
yeah... it should be done in a DNS/Router Thread.

Since there are Sound Bar Threads on the AVS site, detailed feature
chat about a specif Sound Bar would best be there. Brief mention about
the hookup to the P-Series and PCM vs Bitstream seems ok here.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #50606 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang66 View Post

You asked for a screen shot of the odd format of your postings.
Here you go. Paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences.

This is via the Tapatalk android app.

Wow. Looks goofy alright.
But that's not what I see on my desktop/FireFox browser!

post #50607 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Wow. Looks goofy alright.
But that's not what I see on my desktop/FireFox browser!

It looks like you are manually entering returns in your post?

To keep this on topic. My replacement P65-E1 immediately updated to the newest firmware with apps. So that's cool. Still waiting on that remote I ordered though.

shoman94 likes this.
post #50608 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My 2016 P-series thread Haiku:

One hundred new posts!
New firmware or some big news?
Alas, more drivel...

Meant (mostly) in good fun

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #50609 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 03:50 PM

For anyone curious, I think it's called Gaffer's Tape. Looks like a nice flat black. If I use it, I'll put it over the factory plastic tape that's currently lining the bezel. Should ease removal.
post #50610 of 64213 Old 08-03-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Matt McRae
@shoman94

I noticed better motion if I leave Pure Cinema Off and Reduce Judder on 3.

Shoman94, are your motion issues the same on all VFs? (23.9x, 24, 25, 29.9x, 30, 59.9x, and 60.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page