Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1696 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288560Likes

post #50851 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brufus View Post
Well, that's a shame but I thank you for your quick reply.

It's too bad that I have this 4k display, and two of my favorite streaming services that ACTUALLY offer quality 4k content aren't quite working with the SmartCast services. I'm sure it'll get fixed in the future, I'm a patient person.
Matt says HDR for Amazon is coming, we just have to wait for Amazon to certify it. But Hulu only supports 4k on the Xbox and PS4. So I guess we're waiting on them to update their apps for all other devices.
Ph8te and blatz8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50852 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brufus View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been sifting through this thread as best I can and I want to see if any of you can verify what I'm pretty sure is accurate in regards to the issues that I'm having with the Amazon "app" and the Hulu "app" within the new SmartCast interface. This is what I see to be true based on my experience:

1) Amazon video will display in 4k but will NOT display anything with HDR (yes I confirmed that the show is in HDR).

2) Hulu when played through the new interface will not display any show higher than 720p, but will display in 1080p when using the tablet (the "old" method). Hulu will not display anything in 4k unless you use a gaming console.

If anyone can confirm that these statements are true/false or whatever I would be VERY grateful. Thanks everyone!
Is there anything I can stream for FREE on this tv to see what HDR looks like? I've never tried ir or tested it. Just wondering if there's a way to see it somehow with all the thousands of chrome cast apps without paying a fee to try it. I don't have any add on items like a firestock, etc. Can I?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #50853 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If I order the new remote through the website link that was shared on here, do I get automatically added to the beta?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50854 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytommy View Post
if i order the new remote through the website link that was shared on here, do i get automatically added to the beta?
yes. I think this is correct form for remote
https://support.vizio.com/s/remote?language=en_US

Attachment 2264418 <<< picture of all remotes

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #50855 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@Jasonn B

When you sign up for Netflix you get the first month free.
You can also download some HDR demo videos, put them on a flash drive or cast them via PLEX or any other DLNA server with LocalCast.
Jasonn B and smhealey like this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #50856 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Is there anything I can stream for FREE on this tv to see what HDR looks like? I've never tried ir or tested it. Just wondering if there's a way to see it somehow with all the thousands of chrome cast apps without paying a fee to try it. I don't have any add on items like a firestock, etc. Can I?
Sure, just Google "4K HDR Demo" There's some great NASA and LG stuff out there FTW!
post #50857 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Got the new remote shipped and the new firmware popped up today, all updated. Now I realized my Harmony remote doesn't have a functioning back button! What's the best Vizio TV to add to the My Harmony activity so I get all the proper functions, back button, and direct buttons to some of the apps?
post #50858 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Yes, did that, it still says up to date with 3.2.13.3. I just got the remote today so I'll give it a few days.
I'd keep trying. I ordered the remote yesterday and got an email today saying that it shipped. Just tried the "Check for updates" option on the TV now and am currently downloading 3.3.18.1.
blatz8 likes this.
post #50859 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Vizio sponsored some short films that are available for free on Vudu. You need a Vudu account to add them to your collection and watch them, but they are free.

https://filmchallenge.vizio.com

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, there are some free demos you can download and play via USB. Check the first post of this thread to find a few: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...ted-often.html
him7403 likes this.
post #50860 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@Pyronaut

You can install LE on the SD card, and dual boot it with Android. That's the setup I use with mine, even though I never really go into Android.
My box refuses to do [email protected] HEVC and VP9, but does everything else perfectly. Hope it works for you too.
I recommend using the latest LE 7.0.12 rather than LE 8, as I haven't tested that version, can't say if it works or not.
Just wanted to say that I got the latest version of LibreELEC a little while back (8.something) and my box finally plays 4k HEVC HDR content! I'm pretty sure some of it is 60fps too. Thanks again for the suggestion. It's the only hardware that I've actually been able to get to play 4K HDR. Now I just gotta figure out how to get those 4k VP9 HDR files off YouTube. :-)
post #50861 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Vizio sponsored some short films that are available for free on Vudu. You need a Vudu account to add them to your collection and watch them, but they are free.

https://filmchallenge.vizio.com

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, there are some free demos you can download and play via USB. Check the first post of this thread to find a few: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...ted-often.html
Can the vizio tv play the hdr videos cast from youtube? Your link says "Currenly, only the newest google Chromecast can access YTHDR."
My P55-E0 has arrived but yet to unbox, waiting for my tv stand. So I'm also looking for some demo content to test my new display
post #50862 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by him7403 View Post
Can the vizio tv play the hdr videos cast from youtube? Your link says "Currenly, only the newest google Chromecast can access YTHDR."
My P55-E0 has arrived but yet to unbox, waiting for my tv stand. So I'm also looking for some demo content to test my new display
A Chromecast Ultra is required for YouTube HDR. Or there are a few other devices like some Rokus and 4k blu-ray players that can do it as well. But the Vizio cannot cast YouTube HDR by itself.
callworth likes this.
post #50863 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5146 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.Archer View Post
@SHOMan

Is 11 point still non-functional on the latest firmware. I can't get to it.
Yes they work just fine now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Got the new remote shipped and the new firmware popped up today, all updated. Now I realized my Harmony remote doesn't have a functioning back button! What's the best Vizio TV to add to the My Harmony activity so I get all the proper functions, back button, and direct buttons to some of the apps?
You can program it easily.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #50864 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My 2016 Vizio P-75 just received the firmware update to add the built in streaming apps. Seems like a great upgrade overall. Here's my question:

Up until now, I've been using an NVIDIA Shield TV to stream Netflix, Amazon, etc. My Shield TV is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha AVR, and displays 4K video and bitstreams all the high-def lossless audio codecs like DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby Atmos. My Vizio is connected to the Yamaha AVR by HDMI with ARC enabled.

What are the advantages & disadvantages of 1) continuing to stream with my Shield TV, or 2) instead, start streaming from the Vizio's built in apps???
- Ex) Is there any way to get the high-def lossless audio codecs via the Vizio built-in apps, or will I lose that capability?
- Ex) Would the UHD picture be better via the Vizio built-in apps, since the image would not need to be transfered through 2 HDMI cables? (first from the shield to the AVR, and then from the AVR to the Vizio)

Seems like streaming from the built in Vizio apps would certainly be "easier" since I can just hit the Netflix or Hulu button on the new remote control Vizio sent me; No need to change inputs on my Yamaha AVR like I do when I use my Shield TV. But I'm interested in getting the best possible video & audio when I stream, so just trying to understand all the advantages & disadvantages for both options.

Thanks for your time and advice!
post #50865 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
My 2016 Vizio P-75 just received the firmware update to add the built in streaming apps. Seems like a great upgrade overall. Here's my question:

Up until now, I've been using an NVIDIA Shield TV to stream Netflix, Amazon, etc. My Shield TV is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha AVR, and displays 4K video and bitstreams all the high-def lossless audio codecs like DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby Atmos. My Vizio is connected to the Yamaha AVR by HDMI with ARC enabled.

What are the advantages & disadvantages of 1) continuing to stream with my Shield TV, or 2) instead, start streaming from the Vizio's built in apps???
- Ex) Is there any way to get the high-def lossless audio codecs via the Vizio built-in apps, or will I lose that capability?
- Ex) Would the UHD picture be better via the Vizio built-in apps, since the image would not need to be transfered through 2 HDMI cables? (first from the shield to the AVR, and then from the AVR to the Vizio)

Seems like streaming from the built in Vizio apps would certainly be "easier" since I can just hit the Netflix or Hulu button on the new remote control Vizio sent me; No need to change inputs on my Yamaha AVR like I do when I use my Shield TV. But I'm interested in getting the best possible video & audio when I stream, so just trying to understand all the advantages & disadvantages for both options.

Streaming Netflix from the Vizio will get you Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 from the Shield. So yes, higher quality. But the audio codecs will be the same on either. No site streams lossless, only lossy.
shoman94 and reallynotnick like this.
post #50866 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

To my knowledge, no streaming service uses lossless audio. Vudu (and a few titles on Netflix through Xbox One only) supports DD + Atmos, which you can get through ARC. As far as I'm concerned, using the built in apps is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.
post #50867 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
Just wanted to say that I got the latest version of LibreELEC a little while back (8.something) and my box finally plays 4k HEVC HDR content! I'm pretty sure some of it is 60fps too. Thanks again for the suggestion. It's the only hardware that I've actually been able to get to play 4K HDR. Now I just gotta figure out how to get those 4k VP9 HDR files off YouTube. :-)
Yea libreelec is great. If you have a keyboard and press the o key during playback it will show resolution as well as fps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #50868 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've lost the original small Vizio remote and I'm not on the beta list. I'm still on firmware 3.2.13.3. when I get the update I'll be getting Amazon video. When I search the play store on Vizio tablet I can't tell which is the official Amazon video app. Will I be able to set up an Amazon video account through the display?

Its taken me a few weeks as time permits to catch up on 50pages worth of posts and I did not want to post untill I've caught up!hah.

Vizio p65-c1, Onkyo TX-RZ900, Ps4, Andrew Jones 5.1.2 speaker set, Blue jeans cables. LG up970 Uhd Blu-ray player.
post #50869 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses760 View Post
I've lost the original small Vizio remote and I'm not on the beta list. I'm still on firmware 3.2.13.3. when I get the update I'll be getting Amazon video. When I search the play store on Vizio tablet I can't tell which is the official Amazon video app. Will I be able to set up an Amazon video account through the display?

Its taken me a few weeks as time permits to catch up on 50pages worth of posts and I did not want to post untill I've caught up!hah.
If you're looking for Amazon "Prime" video, you'll have to get a Prime account at Amazon (assuming you don't have one already). Once you do that, you'll be able to log into your Amazon account via the SmartCast Amazon on-screen "app" and view Prime content at no additional cost beyond that of the Prime membership annual fee.

You won't be able to cast Amazon video from the tablet to the TV. You'll only be able to select your content by choosing SmartCast on the TV, then selecting the Amazon "app." It will then take you to the Prime library, and for non-Prime titles will display options for purchase or rental. Those will be charged against your Amazon account automatically.
post #50870 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Quote:
Not sure what remote you're using, but my Harmony has a "back" command for the P65.
post #50871 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
If you're looking for Amazon "Prime" video, you'll have to get a Prime account at Amazon (assuming you don't have one already). Once you do that, you'll be able to log into your Amazon account via the SmartCast Amazon on-screen "app" and view Prime content at no additional cost beyond that of the Prime membership annual fee.

You won't be able to cast Amazon video from the tablet to the TV. You'll only be able to select your content by choosing SmartCast on the TV, then selecting the Amazon "app." It will then take you to the Prime library, and for non-Prime titles will display options for purchase or rental. Those will be charged against your Amazon account automatically.
Ok I see thanks for the help.

Vizio p65-c1, Onkyo TX-RZ900, Ps4, Andrew Jones 5.1.2 speaker set, Blue jeans cables. LG up970 Uhd Blu-ray player.
post #50872 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post

This is all accurate but FYI for the OP: Amazon Prime Video is available for $8.99 separate from a regular Amazon Prime subscription, but the latter is a much better value

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Moses760 likes this.
post #50873 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Up until now, I've been using an NVIDIA Shield TV to stream Netflix, Amazon, etc. What are the advantages & disadvantages of 1) continuing to stream with my Shield TV, or 2) instead, start streaming from the Vizio's built in apps???

You've already been told about the "no such thing as lossless audio via streaming services" piece - everything is DD/DD+/Atmos, but for the last ONLY UHD titles on Vudu have it. You don't lose any quality running through two HDMI cables over one unless there is a quality issue with the cable, handshake issues because all that totally effective against piracy copy protection mumbo jumbo, or ridiculous lengths. It's not like analog - it either works and delivers the 1s and 0s or it doesn't. The bad old days of Monster and Beast Buy selling $100 Monster-brand HDMI cables is long over.

As for the SHIELD vs SmartCast options, I'm in the same boat as you, having used the SHIELD for 99% of non-disc content and with the following exceptions, I'm still using the SHIELD for everything except:

* Netflix HDR shows - Dolby Vision just looks better, sometimes shockingly so, but for SDR content, go for the SHIELD's speed.

* Vudu UHD movies (all three of mine!) - because Vudu is strictly DV meaning while SHIELD (and everything else) can hit 4K, it's stuck in SDR.

* YouTube HDR - I have that in my Sony X800 UHD BD spinner, but since it's just demo porn and travel stuff, I only peep it when I'm coming out of a disc watching session.

Other than those, until Amazon gets HDR working, the SHIELD simply crushes the current meager offering of the on-screen SmartCast; you can tablet/phone cast so much more and get DV Netflix and Vudu all the same. As others have noted, Hulu's got some weird rez caps depending on device.
blatz8 likes this.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.2.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #50874 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Nope. Matt says it's something wrong with Plex. Until they fix it, turn on DLNA in the Plex server and use a different app to cast. I'm using Localcast. It casts HEVC HDR MKVs easily with no transcoding.
Is this the same case in the latest FW (3.3.18.1)? I heard the last FW update broke HEVC direct streaming with Plex and was hoping the new one would fix it, but I just tried after getting the new FW and it keeps trying to convert even though I tell it to play the file directly with no conversion.

If I were to use LocalCast, are you saying I could just install that on my phone and read the Plex server content and play it to the TV directly w/o conversion?
post #50875 of 64317 Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're welcome.
Note the VP9 HDR files don't kick the TV into HDR mode.
I used to start a HEVC file, then go back to the list and then play a VP9 file while the TV is in HDR to get it to play in HDR.

Last edited by The Coolest; 08-09-2017 at 11:56 PM.
post #50876 of 64317 Old 08-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Quote:
Up until now, I've been using an NVIDIA Shield TV to stream Netflix, Amazon, etc. What are the advantages & disadvantages of 1) continuing to stream with my Shield TV, or 2) instead, start streaming from the Vizio's built in apps???

You've already been told about the "no such thing as lossless audio via streaming services" piece - everything is DD/DD+/Atmos, but for the last ONLY UHD titles on Vudu have it. You don't lose any quality running through two HDMI cables over one unless there is a quality issue with the cable, handshake issues because all that totally effective against piracy copy protection mumbo jumbo, or ridiculous lengths. It's not like analog - it either works and delivers the 1s and 0s or it doesn't. The bad old days of Monster and Beast Buy selling $100 Monster-brand HDMI cables is long over.

As for the SHIELD vs SmartCast options, I'm in the same boat as you, having used the SHIELD for 99% of non-disc content and with the following exceptions, I'm still using the SHIELD for everything except:

* Netflix HDR shows - Dolby Vision just looks better, sometimes shockingly so, but for SDR content, go for the SHIELD's speed.

* Vudu UHD movies (all three of mine!) - because Vudu is strictly DV meaning while SHIELD (and everything else) can hit 4K, it's stuck in SDR.

* YouTube HDR - I have that in my Sony X800 UHD BD spinner, but since it's just demo porn and travel stuff, I only peep it when I'm coming out of a disc watching session.

Other than those, until Amazon gets HDR working, the SHIELD simply crushes the current meager offering of the on-screen SmartCast; you can tablet/phone cast so much more and get DV Netflix and Vudu all the same. As others have noted, Hulu's got some weird rez caps depending on device.
Do you get any issues playing HDR on your UBP-X800? I get random flickering at times even though I'm running monoprice certified premium cables. Works great at times, but sometimes it likes to throw fits!
post #50877 of 64317 Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
yes. I think this is correct form for remote
https://support.vizio.com/s/remote?language=en_US

Attachment 2264418 <<< picture of all remotes
I'm sorry but I'm confused. What are you saying "yes" to?
post #50878 of 64317 Old 08-10-2017, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@mytommy

To your question about your set being added to the beta.

post #50879 of 64317 Old 08-10-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this the same case in the latest FW (3.3.18.1)? I heard the last FW update broke HEVC direct streaming with Plex and was hoping the new one would fix it, but I just tried after getting the new FW and it keeps trying to convert even though I tell it to play the file directly with no conversion.

If I were to use LocalCast, are you saying I could just install that on my phone and read the Plex server content and play it to the TV directly w/o conversion?
Correct. The problem is with Plex, not the Vizio. Using another app works.
post #50880 of 64317 Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Quote:
Just manually add controls in the Harmony app. I had to manually add the arrow keys so I could navigate the interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page