Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288460Likes

post #5101 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my Vizio P50-C1 and so far I am loving it for all that I have tested on it. No banding on the 50 that i'm seeing...Also i'm running mine through my xbox one and it works great. Gaming looks amazing and i'm having not having any streaking problems others have mentioned. The only thing I need some help on is that I'm seeing some what looks like brightness changing between shots. When the video switches from a dark to a light scene, occasionally you can see it adjust the brightness quickly. Is there a setting for this? I've tried most of them but haven't had much luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steba View Post
I plug my xfininty box into my Xbox one and watch TV through my Xbox. Do you think that would upscale to 1080p?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
It does upscale and looks good.
post #5103 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiddy54 View Post
Just got my Vizio P50-C1 and so far I am loving it for all that I have tested on it. No banding on the 50 that i'm seeing...Also i'm running mine through my xbox one and it works great. Gaming looks amazing and i'm having not having any streaking problems others have mentioned. The only thing I need some help on is that I'm seeing some what looks like brightness changing between shots. When the video switches from a dark to a light scene, occasionally you can see it adjust the brightness quickly. Is there a setting for this? I've tried most of them but haven't had much luck. Any help would be appreciated.
This is the FALD in action. It's what makes this set the best PQ of most any LED. As a side affect, you may see it in action from time to time. You'll just have to get used to it. Give it a week and I bet you'll rarely notice it.
shoman94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
I have, and although some looked pretty good I wondered if there was even higher bit rate files available. I'll be scouring YouTube for some more but I thought maybe you guys had a secret stash somewhere
I posted a link to my google drive that has 50mbit hevc files in mp4 format that works directly on the set via usb a few pages back
post #5105 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post
So, my "sound issue" is getting to the point of being annoying now.

For those who didn't see my previous post, I randomly get an on-screen message that "The Receiver has been detected and setup..." (or something close to that).

Occasionally it causes the sound to cut out momentarily, but usually it just continues on as before.

This afternoon, when my wife was watching Dish, the message appeared and the sound suddenly became very loud, then cut completely out.

I have a Pioneer VSX-90, which is connected to the P75 via HDMI-1.

Dish hopper 3, XBox-One, and Sammy K8500 UHD blu-RAy are all connected to the P75 directly via HDMI.

I have the CEC settings set to "Arc Only", and have no issues controlling the sound with the Tablet, though I usually use the Harmony One.

The Hopper 3 has some CEC settings on it as well. Maybe I should try turning it off there. Could that be causing trouble with the P75's ARC connection to the AVR?

Short of that, it may be time to contact Vizio Support.

I would connect most sources to the AVR, not the TV, and connect the AVR to the TV. I'd use ARC only for the Smartcast feature.

Steve Goff
post #5106 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thumbs down BAD upscaling on 65" from 720p source

OK guys,
My 65 was just installed this afternoon. I only watch network television. No games, no "cast" stuff, nothing else. 100% network television. I had been using a 53" Sharp Aquos LCD from 2011 and things generally looked OK on it, but here it looks like everything I recorded off the cable system in HD is in SD. Rtings had it right that it does a horrible job of upscaling.

Did I just make a colossal mistake in selecting this unit? Like I said, other than maybe 1 or 2 Netflix original shows, I have no interest in movies or streaming this or that. No "cord cutter" here. Is there any way to improve the quality of material that's not released above 720p or 1080i? I don't own a BR-D player either so I can't see if it's a problem with the Vizio or something else, and I refuse to pay $15 to rent a movie to "test" 4k. Suggestions?
post #5107 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5018 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
If you are looking for something to be better than the P series you'll need to look into a mid to high end receiver or an external processor. Here's one from a pretty reputable brand

http://www.amazon.com/DVDO-DVDO-4KSV...ords=4k+scaler

I can't vouch for it but it should be better than the P series if you don't have a good receiver. The Xbox One wouldn't be what you are looking for.
Maybe a good option for someone but I would put that money towards a new AVR for sure.
GardenVariety likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5108 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Um, so I think I may have a defective panel?

I was watching Netflix for about 30 minutes and during that time, the right half of the screen like glitched out and displayed like a static-y image for a millisecond or two then went back to normal.

Has this happened to anyone yet?
post #5109 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
OK guys,
My 65 was just installed this afternoon. I only watch network television. No games, no "cast" stuff, nothing else. 100% network television. I had been using a 53" Sharp Aquos LCD from 2011 and things generally looked OK on it, but here it looks like everything I recorded off the cable system in HD is in SD. Rtings had it right that it does a horrible job of upscaling.

Did I just make a colossal mistake in selecting this unit? Like I said, other than maybe 1 or 2 Netflix original shows, I have no interest in movies or streaming this or that. No "cord cutter" here. Is there any way to improve the quality of material that's not released above 720p or 1080i? I don't own a BR-D player either so I can't see if it's a problem with the Vizio or something else, and I refuse to pay $15 to rent a movie to "test" 4k. Suggestions?
Get something else.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 6.0.18.1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #5110 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
YepYep, I did download those files, extracted them and played them on my computer but the results were less than ideal. Very choppy and a bit glitchy for the 4K stuff. Not sure if it is something in the way I have MPC-HC set up with madvr or if the files were poorly encoded then remuxed to mp4. It's one of the reasons I was looking for different 4K material to test out.
They dont play on my computer at all, they have to be on a thumbstick and and plugged into the tv where they play perfectly.
Anago likes this.
post #5111 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK guys,

What provider? What are the settings (Video output) on the box? Going thru AVR?

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5112 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelDragon1993 View Post

I was watching Netflix for about 30 minutes and during that time, the right half of the screen like glitched out and displayed like a static-y image for a millisecond or two then went back to normal.

If it's only happened once and just for a second I wouldn't worry about it. If you notice it happening on multiple inputs and/or apps the more you watch, then might be worth talking to Vizio about. Or if you just need the peace of mind, hit up their support email and let them know. The more they know about the better those firmware updates can be
post #5113 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Has anybody else had an issue with the tablet remote dying extremely quickly? For instance, after a full charge mine dies in less than a day with probably less than 10 mins of use on it and the rest in standby mode. I have made sure that the apps are not running in the background. It seems odd that I can charge it to 100% and come home 6 hours later and it is at 53%. I am getting a replacement from Best Buy on Tuesday anyways for a few stuck pixels, but just wanted to see if this has been common with anyone else. Other than that, I am really happy with the TV and the only annoyance with firmware bug has been black screen saying "the receiver has been found..." which seems to happen on all sources.
post #5114 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
What provider? What are the settings (Video output) on the box? Going thru AVR?
FiOS in NJ. I have no idea how to set anything on either the "cable" box or the TV for that matter. I haven't gotten that far yet. I have the FiOS box connected to HDMI-1 and just using the internal speakers until my refurbed Onkyo 646 arrives on Tuesday. My understanding is that AVR doesn't upscale either.
post #5115 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
OK guys,

I came from a 65" 2014 sharp aquos and this Vizio kills it on direct tv. You need to realize you made a big jump in size and quality. Your old small dim TV hid most defects. You can adjust settings to help the crappier channels look better. On a side note why buy this tv if you had no plans on watching the best quality content out there? That's what this tv is all about
k124, Ph8te, shoman94 and 4 others like this.
post #5116 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
OK guys,

Turn the backlight down to 60 or less for starters, having it maxed out looks horrible for SDR content as its not meant for that brightnightness (I know it's tempting to crank it, but try to avoid it unless your room is crazy bright). Put it in calibrated mode. Put sharpness at 20 plus or minus ~10. Turn reduce signal and block noise on (if you have to put these on medium or high you might want to up sharpness to compensate). You can also try the black detail setting, but I wouldn't go above low, but again that's personal preference.

Lastly just remember your TV is 22.6% bigger diagonally. So try sitting 22.6% further away than you did with the old set to make a fair comparison. I went from a 40in to a 65in and it's been a real eye opener to the picture quality (or lack there of) of a lot of the sources I normally watch.
post #5117 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic4877 View Post
Has anybody else had an issue with the tablet remote dying extremely quickly? For instance, after a full charge mine dies in less than a day with probably less than 10 mins of use on it and the rest in standby mode. I have made sure that the apps are not running in the background. It seems odd that I can charge it to 100% and come home 6 hours later and it is at 53%. I am getting a replacement from Best Buy on Tuesday anyways for a few stuck pixels, but just wanted to see if this has been common with anyone else. Other than that, I am really happy with the TV and the only annoyance with firmware bug has been black screen saying "the receiver has been found..." which seems to happen on all sources.
After I use mine it goes right back in the charger so it's always at 100%. Vizio says this will be the new normal.
I did notice that it took a long time to charge but maybe I'm spoiled by my S6 charging so fast.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 6.0.18.1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #5118 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
After I use mine it goes right back in the charger so it's always at 100%. Vizio says this will be the new normal.
I did notice that it took a long time to charge but maybe I'm spoiled by my S6 charging so fast.
It's just odd. I made sure it was fully charged when I first got it and let it run down to empty as I do with all of my devices. It took a few days for it to die. Then once charged again it had the same battery life. But on the third charge and now every charge after it dies rapidly.
post #5119 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I really hope we get a firmware update soon. My tv just locked up 3 times while watching a movie. It's totally random. Sometimes it works flawless after the first lockup about 10 minutes in. Sometimes it keeps doing it. I've tried changing cables, ports, etc. The only thing I haven't done is taken the AVR out of the equation. Because even if that fixes it, it's not a real fix. The AVR has worked perfect with two other TVs. I know it's fine.
post #5120 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 2700
Quote:
OK guys,

Okay based on the info you provided...why on earth would you spend the money on a 4k set???

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #5121 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelDragon1993 View Post

What were you watching at the time?

Mine has done this several times, but it's only been while 4k content has been ramping up. Seems to happen as the 4k actually kicks in.

Just a little bug imo. I'm not worried about it personally.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #5122 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord 4 me View Post
If it's only happened once and just for a second I wouldn't worry about it. If you notice it happening on multiple inputs and/or apps the more you watch, then might be worth talking to Vizio about. Or if you just need the peace of mind, hit up their support email and let them know. The more they know about the better those firmware updates can be
Yeah it seemed to only happen on the Cast source.

So I assume its not a defective panel but something in the firmware?
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5123 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboedsupe View Post
I came from a 65" 2014 sharp aquos and this Vizio kills it on direct tv. You need to realize you made a big jump in size and quality. Your old small dim TV hid most defects. You can adjust settings to help the crappier channels look better. On a side note why buy this tv if you had no plans on watching the best quality content out there? That's what this tv is all about
I bought it assuming picture quality for things most folks watch (NBC, ABC, CBS dramas and comedies) would be dead-on perfect. My old set upscaled SD content to HD remarkably well. I can watch a DVD on it and it looks stunning. I'm after a similar level of clarity for current HD network content and with all the raves about image quality I thought this was the right answer.

I will try the picture tweaks mentioned and see what that looks like. I originally wanted a Sony 850C because everybody was raving about how good it upscaled, and that's really the big thing for me. Then came the reviews for this and it looked even better. Maybe not. I have no intention of using streaming anything--I cannot figure out that tablet remote and don't intend to spend months of my life learning how to watch things on it. I'm an old dude with old tastes, but I will pay anything for stunning picture quality for the things I watch.
post #5124 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
This can't be blamed on the tablet really as it could just be an app eating up battery life. If you pull down on the top bar twice and tap the battery icon it'll show you what's consuming battery since the last charge.

MichiganTim and claypool0 like this.
post #5125 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
I bought it assuming picture quality for things most folks watch (NBC, ABC, CBS dramas and comedies) would be dead-on perfect. My old set upscaled SD content to HD remarkably well. I can watch a DVD on it and it looks stunning. I'm after a similar level of clarity for current HD network content and with all the raves about image quality I thought this was the right answer.

I will try the picture tweaks mentioned and see what that looks like. I originally wanted a Sony 850C because everybody was raving about how good it upscaled, and that's really the big thing for me. Then came the reviews for this and it looked even better. Maybe not. I have no intention of using streaming anything--I cannot figure out that tablet remote and don't intend to spend months of my life learning how to watch things on it. I'm an old dude with old tastes, but I will pay anything for stunning picture quality for the things I watch.
My P65 looks great with my RCN cable content, both 720p and 1080i. I went into video settings on my cable box and made sure I selected all resolutions as output formats so it's always outputting the native format of the channel. It takes a little longer for the video to appear when you switch channels that have different formats but well worth it. Also, using shoman94's calibration settings (post #3) , I saw a large improvement in picture quality. Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...on-thread.html
post #5126 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy3501 View Post
This can't be blamed on the tablet really as it could just be an app eating up battery life. If you pull down on the top bar twice and tap the battery icon it'll show you what's consuming battery since the last charge.

I haven't used a single app since I charged it this morning and also make sure all apps are killed from running in the background after I am done using it. I also have checked the battery usage stats. For instance, I have not used the tablet for anything since fully charging it this morning and taking it off the charger at 11am est. when it was fully charged. I look at it now and it is 38% when in standby mode all day. The battery usage function only lists one thing using battery which is the screen at 3%. There is nothing else listed on the battery usage screen. I believe the battery on the tablet may be defective. I had an iPhone 5 do this exact same thing a few years back. I would understand if I left apps running in the background and using it for hours. But not using it at all today and having it left in standby mode does not make sense. Especially as it is claimed to be able to last 14 days on a full charge when left in standby mode by Matt during the first week the tv was released.
post #5127 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
OK guys,

Agreed w/ the other poster. Get something else.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my P65.
BUT if you are going to watch primarily 720p broadcast, why bother?
There's probably settings you could make to improve upscaling, but again, why bother?
Just save yourself some money and drop all the way down to a decent 55" 1080p.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-t...p-full-hd/best
hughh likes this.

Last edited by k124; 04-10-2016 at 07:57 PM.
post #5128 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I did have a lot of motion blur while gaming on my P50. I already returned it. Hopefully it was just a defective TV, as others have e stated they haven't had the issue.

The ghosting was more apparent on light backgrounds. Especially white ones. Maybe some can test a game against white background and let me know.

The motion blur looked like a dimmer ghost image approximately 2/4 inch in the opposite side of the objects being rendered when the field of view was being panned. Forward movement did not produce the artifacts. It was most notable in The Elder Scrolls Online in Skyrim on my PS4.

I am hoping maybe it was just a defective display, because other than gaming the picture was absolutely outstanding. I attempted to remedy the situation by testing HDMI 1-5 and toggling game low latency, led lighting, and the motion controls.

I would really like for this display to work out for me. Picture quality is second.to none right now.
Hal DeVaney likes this.
post #5129 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's just odd. I made sure it was fully charged when I first got it and let it run down to empty as I do with all of my devices. It took a few days for it to die. Then once charged again it had the same battery life. But on the third charge and now every charge after it dies rapidly.
Usually a reboot on the tablet will take care of any apps that maybe be running rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
I really hope we get a firmware update soon. My tv just locked up 3 times while watching a movie. It's totally random. Sometimes it works flawless after the first lockup about 10 minutes in. Sometimes it keeps doing it. I've tried changing cables, ports, etc. The only thing I haven't done is taken the AVR out of the equation. Because even if that fixes it, it's not a real fix. The AVR has worked perfect with two other TVs. I know it's fine.
I would try a reset and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'd call Vizio.

Quote:

I would dig through the setting and see if you can change it to 1080i. I'm happy with the upscale from there on a P75. Your new 65 is quite a bit larger so the pixels are larger.

post #5130 of 63902 Old 04-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
It seems like any screens 65inches and bigger seems to have the most banding problems. Is it an issue with manufacturing bigger sizes? how many people that buy these tvs really return them for banding? You would think that the TV makers would tighten quality control to minimize losses.
Seems like every tv brand has problems with any screen over 60 inches. I have been following this thread, sony and Samsung . Bound and determined that I'm not going to buy a new set till the bugs are worked out. Almost all the issues, on all three threads, the 55 seems to have way less problems. If the the new m-60 is saved from a yellow band down the center, Wich is a deal breaker for me being I watch a lot of hockey , I guess I'd give up the w.c.g. and 5 inches for less problems . Seems like the 65 or bigger from all three brands has there share of issues . It sucks because 55 is just not big enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page