Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288450Likes

post #5131 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
I bought it assuming picture quality for things most folks watch (NBC, ABC, CBS dramas and comedies) would be dead-on perfect. My old set upscaled SD content to HD remarkably well. I can watch a DVD on it and it looks stunning. I'm after a similar level of clarity for current HD network content and with all the raves about image quality I thought this was the right answer.

I will try the picture tweaks mentioned and see what that looks like. I originally wanted a Sony 850C because everybody was raving about how good it upscaled, and that's really the big thing for me. Then came the reviews for this and it looked even better. Maybe not. I have no intention of using streaming anything--I cannot figure out that tablet remote and don't intend to spend months of my life learning how to watch things on it. I'm an old dude with old tastes, but I will pay anything for stunning picture quality for the things I watch.
It sounds to me like you need to downgrade to a 55" or smaller TV. I would actually suggest you look for a 1080P plasma, maybe a last run Panasonic or Samsung? If not, there isn't one 4K TV that makes compressed 720P cable look great. You need a smaller screen to hide the lack of details.
thomasfxlt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
It sounds to me like you need to downgrade to a 55" or smaller TV. I would actually suggest you look for a 1080P plasma, maybe a last run Panasonic or Samsung? If not, there isn't one 4K TV that makes compressed 720P cable look great. You need a smaller screen to hide the lack of details.
So there's no equivalent of the upscale quality in my old TV? I'd have thought after 5 years the ability to take 720/1080 and bump it up to 4k would have already been there. Like I said earlier, that old set took SD 480i and made it look gorgeous; I thought we were far enough along for a similar jump in quality in this generation.

Sadly, plasmas are out for me, much to my dismay. Their quality is the best I ever saw, but they generate too much RF interference and as a ham radio operator, they wipe out the bands I need. LCD/LED is my only option.
post #5133 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have the P75 and so far I have no complaints about the PQ. When watching Marco Polo it looked great. I did notice some weird artifacting issues now and then. It's hard to say if this is the fault of the source or the TV's interpretation of the source. The most common scenario for this is on a scene with a bright sky with a lot of dark horses/shadowed faces on the bottom. The beard of the main focus will get what appears to be groupings of stuck on pixels. Its somewhat rare and not terribly distracting. (This is using settings similar to the OP Calibrated Dark).

So far but the user experience has been very disappointing. I expect some roughness as an early adopter but right now it is to the point where I would not recommend the TV to anyone except a patient enthusiast willing to have to spend a significant amount of tinkering depending on what they plan to use the set for.

The set came from firmware 1.0.0.0 so understandably I needed to upgrade. In order to play Netflix it said I needed to upgrade. The instructions on the screen asked me to link to the TV but unlike the initial setup it would link. It said otherwise power off the set and let it update. I power off the TV and wait 30 min. After powering it back on there wasn't an update message but Netflix no longer gave the error that I needed to upgrade. However casting still did not work. It would get to the Ready to Cast screen but never start when trying to play but it would not start. I then downloaded the latest firmware and used that to upgrade. I was then able to get a little further but Netflix casting was still having issues. It would start playing and I would get audio but no sound. Pausing from the tablet would show the progress bar but no picture. I skipping to the end and it showed the 'starting in 30 seconds message' with just the border around where the image for the title should be. After a full power off by disconnecting the TV (using the power button on the back of the TV seems like a soft power off) I was able to start casting successfully. However I still have constant issues where sometimes when I start to cast I get audio but no video. When it gets into this state I have to restart the TV. This is something that software updates can probably fix but for now other family members using the TV call to me to get it working again. Youtube has a stuttering issue. Also switching to a different youtube video and trying to cast it while a video is already playing reslts in the first video being re-casted instead of the newly chosen video. Also software issues that can be worked through. These aren't rare edge case scenarios that made it past QA though...

My next issue is the quality of the network adapters themselves. At same location as the TV, the tablet completes a speedtest consistently with 120+Mbps (5x the recommended to stream HD) However while using the TV with WiFi at 75-80% signal strength I would constantly see Netflix streaming and go to loading, and it would stay in 480p/1080p and not reach 4k (Marco Polo/Daredevil) I tried 2.4g and 5g connections with the same results. This looks like a hardware issue that can't be resolved. It looks like they chose a cheap wifi/soc solution. As a comparison I have a PS4 and a recent but cheap model Sony BR player with Wifi at the same location. The PS4 streams w/o issues (gamers wouldn't put up with bad network connectivity) however the cheap Sony player does not operate as well. I switched to a wired connection to the TV and I started getting 4K streams within 5 seconds of starting (my internet connection gets 300Mbps results from speedtest ) Unfortunately the NIC for the P75 is a 100Mbps card which is a disappointment and doesn't seem good from a long term future proof perspective but for now it is sufficient.

Another disappointment is the input selection. My 2 year old Vizio M series will show the name of the device connected instead of HDMI-1 HDMI-2 etc. It appears this set does not support that feature. So anyone that picks up the remote to change input needs to understand how I've wired up my connections instead of reading 'DirectTV Genie' etc.

I like the direction of the tablet/casting methodology to control the TV. I think this TV was rushed to market when much more testing and refinement is needed in this aspect. I expect some device combinations to have issues. I couldn't expect them to account for every device out there. But these are core features with the provided hardware that aren't functioning properly. Maybe others have had smooth experiences with casting and never run into these issues I've seen? Otherwise for the average user the TV is going to be a frustrating experience as they try to work through these issues. I wouldn't expect there to be much difference and I don't have enough usage for a good comparison but it did seem like casting from my own tablet device was more successful than using the one provided with the set.
GorillaBot, buju22 and Hal DeVaney like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
So there's no equivalent of the upscale quality in my old TV? I'd have thought after 5 years the ability to take 720/1080 and bump it up to 4k would have already been there. Like I said earlier, that old set took SD 480i and made it look gorgeous; I thought we were far enough along for a similar jump in quality in this generation.

Sadly, plasmas are out for me, much to my dismay. Their quality is the best I ever saw, but they generate too much RF interference and as a ham radio operator, they wipe out the bands I need. LCD/LED is my only option.
You can pick up a 55" 1080p OLED for $1300-1400 right now if you know where to look. If you do not plan on viewing 4k/Dolby Vision content that this Vizio was designed to take advantage of, that 1080p OLED might be another option for you to consider.
post #5135 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Quote:

Crap in, Crap out. Remember it's not just a clean 720p/1080i signal you're getting via cable. It's a compressed mess most of the time. If you made a 720p file from a good source such as a Blu-Ray it would probably look better. You're not going to get a 4K TV to make lower resolution look 4K (pipe dream).

As its been said you made close to 50% jump in viewing area. That is a HUGE jump and you are going to notice things that you didn't before (good and bad). What I have seen posted again and again is that people think that TV will look the same "only bigger" this is just not the case however.

If you choose a TV with better upscaling you may be trading off for something else. If you're not afraid of spending more than you might try to get one of last years Sony 940c. Samsung/Sony tend to have better processing, but you'll make sacrifices somewhere to get it. With your required feature set, it seems you may be able to get away with one of the lower models or previous years models that's 1080p. If you don't stream, watch Blu-Rays and have no plans on watching 4K content, a higher end 4K TV is sort of a waste (IMO).
post #5136 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachima View Post
I have the P75 and so far I have no complaints about the PQ. When watching Marco Polo it looked great. I did notice some weird artifacting issues now and then. It's hard to say if this is the fault of the source or the TV's interpretation of the source. The most common scenario for this is on a scene with a bright sky with a lot of dark horses/shadowed faces on the bottom. The beard of the main focus will get what appears to be groupings of stuck on pixels. Its somewhat rare and not terribly distracting. (This is using settings similar to the OP Calibrated Dark).

I like the direction of the tablet/casting methodology to control the TV. I think this TV was rushed to market when much more testing and refinement is needed in this aspect. I expect some device combinations to have issues. I couldn't expect them to account for every device out there. But these are core features with the provided hardware that aren't functioning properly. Maybe others have had smooth experiences with casting and never run into these issues I've seen? Otherwise for the average user the TV is going to be a frustrating experience as they try to work through these issues. I wouldn't expect there to be much difference and I don't have enough usage for a good comparison but it did seem like casting from my own tablet device was more successful than using the one provided with the set.
Thanks for the detailed overview. It's important to get this stuff on the table.

I will say that I've been very stable since .12 firmware and updates to all the apps. Not perfect, but very good.

YouTube is glitchy. 4k stuttering is an issue.

Download speed reported by Vizio's internal test app is inaccurate. This is well known. It doesn't resolve your network issues though. Are you connected via ethernet or wireless? Hardwire is best if it's possible.

The only way your internet connections on the M would have shown the names of connected devices is if you had HDMI CEC on. Is it enable on your P series? Do you really want it on?

The tablet as a sole device to operate your home theater needs some advancement. You make valid points.

In summary, hardwire your internet, update the firmware and all apps on the table. Do a full reset of the TV. I think it will improve. Some things need updates (YouTube, tablet function). The TV looks amazing when using for 4k/DV and high quality bluray and cable sources.
Spine Guy likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5137 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

I can't speak for the upscaling abilities of this new 2016 P series, but do know that some TV's upscale much better than others. I have a 75" Sony X850c, which does a great job upscaling--DVD's and lower-resolution OTA look quite good...surprisingly good, actually. On the other hand, I saw that the Vizio 2015 M series did a much poorer job with upscaling. The difference was easily enough for me to cross the Vizio M series off my list, since upscaling capability is quite important to me. Perhaps Vizio isn't very concerned with displaying non-HD content?
post #5138 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If you're interested in getting a possible fix, I would start with Visio Support. Then I would go to BB for a replacement. Where do you stand in their return period?
Unfortunately I'm on day 10 of ownership. I contacted Vizio and they requested a couple of pictures, so I will send them along their way - while at the same time speaking with Best Buy tomorrow regarding an exchange possibility.

Vizio stated it was extremely rare, so that's good. I don't see any reason to not believe them - and I don't remember seeing any mentions about my issue on this thread either.
post #5139 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Renaming Inputs...

Quote:
Another disappointment is the input selection. My 2 year old Vizio M series will show the name of the device connected instead of HDMI-1 HDMI-2 etc. It appears this set does not support that feature. So anyone that picks up the remote to change input needs to understand how I've wired up my connections instead of reading 'DirectTV Genie' etc.
Click on Settings/Inputs/Name Input. Then select name of Input you would like to rename. Mine actually automatically renamed itself to Receiver. I think it asked me if it could rename it. I thought this was pretty cool!

Good Luck
post #5140 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On the other hand, I'm watching cable tonite and am absolutely in awe of how good the P looks. With a good signal, it's near Bluray quality.

Also, if you desire to add to add to your P series DolbyVision demo quality material, Pacific Rim is off the charts.
jjackkrash and Kruppa like this.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5141 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My xfinity box (xg1-a) has 3 output options: 720p, 1080i and 1080p60. I'll not sure I want the xfinity box to change 24fps to 60fps then send to the 120fps tv, but I'll play with it on Wednesday and report back.
post #5142 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Got a P50

My local Best Buy in Boise had several units of all 4 sizes in stock to my surprise. I picked up a Sammy UHD BD player along with my P50. I shockingly love the tablet remote, the setup was pretty easy. Not sure why I'm still shocked this set is a Vizio. But I love it! Streamed the 4K Marco Polo with Dolbyvision, and it was amazing. I was honestly blown away. I watched Pan via UHD BD, and it was pretty good but am anxiously awaiting the HDR upgrade Vizio has promised. I sure hope it is sooner than 90 days. I'm convinced that the Dolbyvision and HDR10 are what will really endear us all to this new UHD format. Anyway well done Vizio! And at a very reasonable price point!
Ph8te and thomasfxlt like this.
post #5143 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by def11 View Post
My xfinity box (xg1-a) has 3 output options: 720p, 1080i and 1080p60. I'll not sure I want the xfinity box to change 24fps to 60fps then send to the 120fps tv, but I'll play with it on Wednesday and report back.
I think it would serve us better if we could feed the P with native. Unfortunately there's not native mode on the X1 platform. I use 1080i.
def11 likes this.

post #5144 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
My local Best Buy in Boise had several units of all 4 sizes in stock to my surprise. I picked up a Sammy UHD BD player along with my P50. I shockingly love the tablet remote, the setup was pretty easy. Not sure why I'm still shocked this set is a Vizio. But I love it! Streamed the 4K Marco Polo with Dolbyvision, and it was amazing. I was honestly blown away. I watched Pan via UHD BD, and it was pretty good but am anxiously awaiting the HDR upgrade Vizio has promised. I sure hope it is sooner than 90 days. I'm convinced that the Dolbyvision and HDR10 are what will really endear us all to this new UHD format. Anyway well done Vizio! And at a very reasonable price point!
Did you know that you can redeem your Pan code from the UHD BR disk on Vudu and get the streaming UHD DolbyVision version right now?
Scoob likes this.

post #5145 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Download speed reported by Vizio's internal test app is inaccurate. This is well known. It doesn't resolve your network issues though. Are you connected via ethernet or wireless? Hardwire is best if it's possible.
I never tried their test app, I just experienced issues when actually using the TV with WiFi(even though signal strength and tests on other devices are ok). After switching to Ethernet I haven't had any loading or low resolution streaming issues.

One other problem I ran into with Netflix casting was the 'Are you still there? Press play to continue' popup they do(while watching 3 episodes back to back). I understand their need to do this to prevent long streaming when no one is there but I had no way to answer it. The drop down swipe on the tablet still showed the original episode I started for some reason. Pressing pause, stop or 30 second rewind were the only options. None of those did anything. In the actual Netflix app it show my updated progress on the seasons list with the Play button still there. Pressing that just resulted in 'error sending command to device.' and the cast icon went back to white. I re-established the cast connection and was able to start casting again.

Last edited by hachima; 04-10-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #5146 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic4877 View Post
I haven't used a single app since I charged it this morning and also make sure all apps are killed from running in the background after I am done using it. I also have checked the battery usage stats. For instance, I have not used the tablet for anything since fully charging it this morning and taking it off the charger at 11am est. when it was fully charged. I look at it now and it is 38% when in standby mode all day. The battery usage function only lists one thing using battery which is the screen at 3%. There is nothing else listed on the battery usage screen. I believe the battery on the tablet may be defective. I had an iPhone 5 do this exact same thing a few years back. I would understand if I left apps running in the background and using it for hours. But not using it at all today and having it left in standby mode does not make sense. Especially as it is claimed to be able to last 14 days on a full charge when left in standby mode by Matt during the first week the tv was released.
Yeah, that's a hardware issue then.

Didn't know your Android experience so had to mention it. One thing to remember as well is that with Lollipop the apps are all loaded in the background which did eat up a little extra, but not that much. With Marshmallow they changed that to be priority apps only and then kicked in Doze now. Once this tablet gets that update, the standby time will be insane, assuming the hardware is good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5147 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never tried their test app, I just experienced issues when actually using the TV with WiFi(even though signal strength and tests on other devices are ok). After switching to Ethernet I haven't had any loading or low resolution streaming issues.

One other problem I ran into Netflix casting was the 'Are you still there? Press play to continue' popup they do(while watching 3 episodes back to back). I understand their need to do this to prevent long streaming when no one is there but I had no way to answer it. The drop down swipe on the tablet still showed the original episode I started for some reason. Pressing pause, stop or 30 second rewind were the only options. None of those did anything. In the actual Netflix app it show my updated progress on the seasons list with the Play button still there. Pressing that just resulted in 'error sending command to device.' and the cast icon went back to white. I re-established the cast connection and was able to start casting again.
Could have been a number of things with the wifi. Glad you hardwired it.

The casting thing is 2 weeks old and in it's first implementation. I'm pretty pleased since the updates. It will be on a fast track to get better fast because all the new generation Vizio's are going to this interface. If you're a little patient, I think it will stabilize quickly. I totally understand the sentiment about the family "ease of use" and reliable use. It has to be there. My kids use Netflix more than anything else. I've got it programmed in my Harmony remote to just use the version on the AppleTV for now. I'll be showing the kids the whole casting interface soon. They'll get it.

post #5148 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Pacific Rim is off the charts.
Finally watched it? About time...lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
thomasfxlt and Kruppa like this.
post #5149 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
My 65 was just installed this afternoon. I only watch network television. (
Going from a 55" set to a 65" will show you more faults in the picture image than you are used to seeing. That's the nature of going to a bigger screen. It is possible that you bought a monitor that doesn't match your interests or needs. It doesn't seem that you will make use of the most important features that attract others to the P-Series.

How your set will look to you may depend in part on how much bigger it is that what you're used to, and it will depend on the quality of your incoming TV signal.
Ph8te and thomasfxlt like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.

Last edited by htwaits; 04-10-2016 at 08:57 PM.
post #5150 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I seem to be getting some video stuttering in Kodi on my Amazon Fire box.

It's not the video that's necessarily stuttering, the audio plays fine but the image on the screen seems to go into slow motion for a few frames/seconds.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the input being 2160/60? On my M70, using the non 2160/60 HDMI input for my firebox, never had any issues.

Need to experiment to see if it's a specific set of files - the video I was watching was 720p mkv
post #5151 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse View Post
I seem to be getting some video stuttering in Kodi on my Amazon Fire box.

It's not the video that's necessarily stuttering, the audio plays fine but the image on the screen seems to go into slow motion for a few frames/seconds.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the input being 2160/60? On my M70, using the non 2160/60 HDMI input for my firebox, never had any issues.

Need to experiment to see if it's a specific set of files - the video I was watching was 720p mkv
We've seen some issues with external boxes syncing correctly. Mostly HTPC's and getting the video cards set right. I would think the Fire would just work.

post #5152 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelDragon1993 View Post
Um, so I think I may have a defective panel?

I was watching Netflix for about 30 minutes and during that time, the right half of the screen like glitched out and displayed like a static-y image for a millisecond or two then went back to normal.

Has this happened to anyone yet?

I posted yesterday about a similar issue. Happened 5 times, all while using Netflix.
In my case it was both halves going haywire, followed by the TV rebooting. Hasn't happened on anything but Netflix, and only when I was using The Netflix app on something other than the Vizio tablet.
post #5153 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post
I posted yesterday about a similar issue. Happened 5 times, all while using Netflix.
In my case it was both halves going haywire, followed by the TV rebooting. Hasn't happened on anything but Netflix, and only when I was using The Netflix app on something other than the Vizio tablet.
So just use the Vizio Netflix app on the tablet for now. Thanks for the heads-up.

post #5154 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelDragon1993 View Post
Um, so I think I may have a defective panel?

I was watching Netflix for about 30 minutes and during that time, the right half of the screen like glitched out and displayed like a static-y image for a millisecond or two then went back to normal.

Has this happened to anyone yet?
I've had this happen a few times while streaming Marco Polo on Netflix also. It was almost like a picture in a picture that filled maybe 75% of just the right half of the screen. The image contained a staticy version of the main content scaled down in size and sometimes a large amount of purple as part of the image as it briefly flashed.
post #5155 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
I bought it assuming picture quality for things most folks watch (NBC, ABC, CBS dramas and comedies) would be dead-on perfect.
Unfortunately network HDTV is not the best picture quality. Movies on Blu-ray have been the best, and not every Blu-ray movie is among the best for picture quality.

HDR10 and Dolby Vision are the new best and again that's mostly for movies. It will be a long time, if ever, before Network TV can do HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Your best bet is to match your TV with what you watch. In my case, I only watch TV for sports and movies are my main interest. For most people, and for the foreseeable future, 4K is a sales pitch to get folks to update there TV sets for something "better."

I will probably buy a P-Series, but only when my current TV dies. May it rest in peace.
Ph8te likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #5156 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Unfortunately network HDTV is not the best picture quality. Movies

I will probably buy a P-Series, but only when my current TV dies. May it rest in peace.
I have a 2004 Plasma that will be joining your loved one soon!

post #5157 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
So there's no equivalent of the upscale quality in my old TV?
Upscaling or deinterlacing has not gotten worse. Your new set is much bigger in terms of sq inches of screen, and it's showing you things that your 55" set couldn't show you because the images are magnified. The same thing happened to folks during the switch from SDTV to HDTV. Many people had new HDTV sets and were watching SDTV signals. They were seeing problems that had always been there, but now they could see them.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #5158 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Now thats a tight fit!
The M80 box is actually the same size as the P75 box. The huge guys at Best Buy who loaded the TV both said "Oh H$LL No that TV ain't gonna fit in that little car". I said give it a try and it slid right in without any problems.
post #5159 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
The M80 box is actually the same size as the P75 box. The huge guys at Best Buy who loaded the TV both said "Oh H$LL No that TV ain't gonna fit in that little car". I said give it a try and it slid right in without any problems.
Well, I hope you plugged it in!

post #5160 of 63863 Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:

You're missing my point entirely. I believe you are placing too much responsibility on the scalar and not enough on the simple assertion that blowing up a compressed image produces a much less desirable image. How about an LG OLED? How about a 55" P series? How about any decent 55"? I can assure you that your Sharp's scaling was average at best.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page