Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288472Likes

post #5161 of 63937 Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
We've seen some issues with external boxes syncing correctly. Mostly HTPC's and getting the video cards set right. I would think the Fire would just work.

I posted about my HTPC having issues. I thought it was isolated to that device. Turns out my bluray player and Apple TV exhibit the same issues. Random white horizontal lines and lookups. Usually runs great after the first lockup.

I don't thinks it's anything to do with the HTPC settings. I've tried literally every single video output setting there is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 63937 Old 04-10-2016, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
You're missing my point entirely. I believe you are placing too much responsibility on the scalar and not enough on the simple assertion that blowing up a compressed image produces a much less desirable image. How about an LG OLED? How about a 55" P series? How about any decent 55"? I can assure you that your Sharp's scaling was average at best.
55 is really too small for my space. I'm all about full immersion into the source. I worked as a projectionist for over 20 years and was used to watching content from 35mm film on 40 and 50' screens with razor-sharp focus and clarity. I like my field of vision to be full. I know when I was in the various shops near me and their demo sets were playing content on 65" screens it looked like I could reach out and touch them they were so lifelike, and that's what the promise clearly was. I thought tech would be able to take a 720p source and blow it up to 4k with reasonable interpolation, or at worst, keep it close to what my old set did. This is decidedly worse.

I even tried watching House of Cards on Netflix tonight. First time I every streamed anything. If that was 4k (I read somewhere it was shot in 4K), everything was soft; like a film was over the screen, blacks not deep at all, faces soft focus. This using the calibration on post #1 of this thread.
post #5163 of 63937 Old 04-10-2016, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 93
You need to have the upgraded package on Netflix to watch 4K as well.

You have the set, it's installed. Why not try casting a vudu UHD/DV movie? Rent one. If you don't like it, I have a 2007 panny plasma I'll sell ya...
Anago and def11 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 63937 Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Guy View Post
You need to have the upgraded package on Netflix to watch 4K as well.

You have the set, it's installed. Why not try casting a vudu UHD/DV movie? Rent one. If you don't like it, I have a 2007 panny plasma I'll sell ya...
Best television image I ever saw in my life was the last Superbowl on a friend's 50-odd inch Pioneer Elite Plasma. Nothing comes even close. Wish I could go that route. I have the $12/month 4k Netflix package. I just upgraded earlier tonight before trying House of Cards. I'd only ever watched one show on Netflix before (Longmire last fall) and it looked fantastic from my Roku-2 box to my Sharp in 1080. I'm only keeping Netflix for that series (and now House of Cards too--what a great show!). But I'm not getting anywhere near the quality I was expecting. My Internet connection is 75/75Mbps which should be more than enough for a 4k Netflix feed.

Is there something specific I need to do to tell the TV I'm streaming a 4K show, or does Netflix have a separate feed for 4k content?
post #5165 of 63937 Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
Best television image I ever saw in my life was the last Superbowl on a friend's 50-odd inch Pioneer Elite Plasma. Nothing comes even close. Wish I could go that route. I have the $12/month 4k Netflix package. I just upgraded earlier tonight before trying House of Cards. I'd only ever watched one show on Netflix before (Longmire last fall) and it looked fantastic from my Roku-2 box to my Sharp in 1080. I'm only keeping Netflix for that series (and now House of Cards too--what a great show!). But I'm not getting anywhere near the quality I was expecting. My Internet connection is 75/75Mbps which should be more than enough for a 4k Netflix feed.

Is there something specific I need to do to tell the TV I'm streaming a 4K show, or does Netflix have a separate feed for 4k content?
Make sure your playback settings on your Netflix account is set to high.
Did you watch House of Cards Season 1 episode because they are only 1080p.
You can check on the tablet if it's 4k...System/system info/system info.
Lot's of 4k shows on Netflix, try Sense8, not the best show but some of the location shots (especially the opening credits) look great.
thomasfxlt likes this.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 6.0.18.1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra

Last edited by Anago; 04-10-2016 at 11:44 PM.
post #5166 of 63937 Old 04-10-2016, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachima View Post

Another disappointment is the input selection. My 2 year old Vizio M series will show the name of the device connected instead of HDMI-1 HDMI-2 etc. It appears this set does not support that feature. So anyone that picks up the remote to change input needs to understand how I've wired up my connections instead of reading 'DirectTV Genie' etc.
You can rename the HDMI's using the tablet app. As far as your other issues I haven't really experienced them but my tv is probably only 17 feet from my router and I bought my own router (my fios router was terrible). Some with netflix issues had recommended reinstalling the app. Also would running an ethernet cable be possible, many of your issues may be from your wifi speeds
post #5167 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by def11 View Post
My xfinity box (xg1-a) has 3 output options: 720p, 1080i and 1080p60. I'll not sure I want the xfinity box to change 24fps to 60fps then send to the 120fps tv, but I'll play with it on Wednesday and report back.
Quote:
I think it would serve us better if we could feed the P with native. Unfortunately there's not native mode on the X1 platform. I use 1080i.
That's a good reason for me to keep the old Comcast box which will do native resolutions which for me is either 720p or 1080i passed through the Denon to the Pioneer Kuro.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #5168 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse View Post
I seem to be getting some video stuttering in Kodi on my Amazon Fire box.

It's not the video that's necessarily stuttering, the audio plays fine but the image on the screen seems to go into slow motion for a few frames/seconds.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the input being 2160/60? On my M70, using the non 2160/60 HDMI input for my firebox, never had any issues.

Need to experiment to see if it's a specific set of files - the video I was watching was 720p mkv
This will be a little long winded and possibly stream of consciousness but I'm gonna put it out there the best I can and just share my experience in case others are in a similar predicament with similar equipment and setup . I've had the P65-C1 since Thursday and have tried to test my current setup with this display. I am coming from a Samsung 52" LCD LN52A650 which was run as a PC display at [email protected] 4:4:4: 8bit, it's also an excellent television IMO. I really have to make a decision in the next week as to whether or not I want to return this TV or keep it and hope it's possible to work through some issues I've been having. I am mainly a PC user that watches content from my own media library on my HDD's from DVD's or Blu-rays I've ripped, YouTube content and some other video sites. I watch minimal cable content from DirecTV and I play games on a couple platforms, mainly being PC & PS4, some PS3 but to a lesser extent.

I'm using this as a PC monitor with Windows 7 and a GTX970 on HDMI-1 and HDMI-5 from dual HDMI outs on my Denon X4200W, no video processing applied. On HDMI-1 running at [email protected] 4:4:4 8bit (I couldn't not select a 10bit option in the NVIDIA program) and the colors are not bad. Everything is so tiny, and yes, I knew it would be but to visualize it and then try to use it, it's very difficult from 9 feet away. Not a knock on the display at all, just and observation. I haven't messed with any calibration aside from turning most features off, like judder and blur reduction, all noise reduction, just to see how it performed most raw. I never used any such features on the Sammy either. My complaints aren't with the looks of the display but in how the performance has been for me with the equipment I have.

--------

HTPC EXPERIENCE:
When using the display for normal Windows use it is seems rough, movements of the mouse, dragging windows or other things, etc. Nothing seems really fluid when I compare it to my older TV. I'd have to imagine it's due to the larger resolution but I really don't know. My main gripe is in using KODI and MPC-HC as media players. I get stuttering/slow motion type of artifacts when playing movies that are 23.967fps, typically your blu-rays and such. Usually videos and movies will play fine for a minute or so, sometimes more, and then inevitably hit a point where the stutter/slow down, then it will rectify itself and repeat. This seems to happen in KODI more than MPC-HC as far as I can tell. Again, my setup is the same as it was with my old TV, which was nice and smooth, and the only thing really changing is the resolution, no? Up from 1080p to 2160p, same 60Hz, same 4:4:4 8bit. I'm also experiencing anomalies with the sound.

Within KODI I had a option "sync playback to display" (picture below) selected for my 1080p Sammy and the video and sound were fine, perfect. If I have that box checked in KODI with the Vizio the video will run fine but I get audio glitches and dropouts. If I uncheck it, it is the opposite, the audio is fine and the video gets stuttery at times. The option to "adjust display refresh rate" within KODI just makes a mess of everything, which I expected but I don't remember if I tested on my Samsung. MPC-HC seems to play files a little bit better but still with the same video issues and occasional audio issues. This makes me thing it could be a software related issue but I can't understand why it's happening with this TV. For me personally, whether it's the display, software, or a combination of both, I am not getting along with it on that front.

I'm not sure if people using PLEX have any of these issues but I really don't want to have to change my whole user experience if I don't have to. I've never used PLEX but I just don't see why it's not running fine with KODI and MPC-HC to some extent.

Playing blu-rays from the PS3 or PS4 seems fine to me. I don't get the issues above, but this isn't ideal for what I've created and immediately is the biggest deal breaker.

PC GAMING:
I used HDMI-5 for this at [email protected] 4:4:4 8bit with "game low latency" ON. I didn't play anything hard core but tested Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, and a couple others. I think it was pretty good for gaming, lag times seemed pretty good, fluid motion, nice detail. I really don't have any complaints there. Again though, I really only tested some games out and didn't have any extended sessions. YMMV

PS4 GAMING:
HDMI-5 again, pretty much the same as above. Games seemed to play pretty nice.

TELEVISION/DIRECTV:
I haven't been totally impressed with the way satellite looks on this display. The Vizio doesn't do any favors upscaling the picture from 52" from 65". To my eyes it definitely looks worse than on my 52". Again, I didn't expect it to look amazing or anything but I did hope it would look a little better than it does. I'm not sure exactly how to describe what I'm seeing but maybe it's what people call ghosting. Like you're 22 again and at a Floyd show or something and you are catching trails off of objects and people because you ingested some sort of something lol, hey lighten up While passing through 720p & 1080i from my STB I did try upscaling with my AVR both on and off and I like the picture better when the VIZIO did the heavy lifting. YMMV. I didn't notice it as much on my old panel as I do now and I suppose it could be attributed to the larger screen and resolution. I don't know. I know I don't like the SOE feature, which is "judder reduction". My old TV had this but only low, med, high & off. At least here you have a 10 point step and keeping it on 0-2 was not too distracting to me and even looked pretty decent. Even with this on though I still noticed this ghosting effect.

I watch 80-90% hockey on satellite and tennis as well. Once I saw the yellow band while watching hockey I can't unsee it, and it bothers me. If everything else on this TV worked for me the way I wanted it to I might overlook this, but it really just adds to the reasons I don't think this TV is for me yet.

4K:
I've had limited experience with actual 4K content. In fact, it's only limited to stuff that was on YouTube in 4K. I did this through the CASTING feature and on my PC directly off the YouTube website. Overall the results were much the same, the content I viewed looked really very good for what it was, better than 1080p for sure. I was quite impressed viewing all the 4K footage I could. I have the TV hardwired to ethernet but the ramp up time to get the 4K while casting was a bit hit and miss, it would take some time to enable it and then might lower resolution for a little bit and come back. I didn't really have this issue from the PC side. No movies in 4K for me, nor have I experienced DV yet. I just couldn't spend the money to demo 4K in DV when I was having those other issues I mentioned above.

I'm not totally sold on the tablet usage for controlling the TV but it is interesting. I like minimal display while making certain adjustments and I can see this could be a huge benefit if you are calibrating your set. It definitely has benefits but I just found it more involved than a standard remote, a little clunky. It does work though. I like it, but I'm also not entirely sold on it. The casting feature is very cool I think. If you subscribe to streaming services I can see this being really sweet, I don't have any at the moment.

--------

In closing, I really want to love this TV. Can someone tell me why I should keep it? Is none of this the TV's fault? Are any of you PC users experiencing similar issues as I am? I'm curious to hear about them. I don't want to return this TV but I feel I might have to. I also know there are a lot of people who seem to love the TV but might also not have the same type of media configuration as I do, so I understand this. Just interested to hear from the masses out there.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	359
Size:	955.2 KB
ID:	1371378  
TinyRK likes this.

My Home Theater Set-Up 2011... http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...atre%20Set-Up/

PC/HTPC: Xeon X5650 > ASUS Strix GTX970 >
RECEIVER: Denon X4200W (5.1.4 setup) >
TV: Samsung LN52A650 >
SPEAKERS: Energy RC-70 x 2, RC-LCR, RC-30 x 2, RC-10 x 4, Mirage Prestige S10

Last edited by buffalofloyd; 04-11-2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling errors, probably still some
post #5169 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
I have a 2004 Plasma that will be joining your loved one soon!
And that would have cost a "pretty" penny.
thomasfxlt likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #5170 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
I even tried watching House of Cards on Netflix tonight. First time I every streamed anything. If that was 4k (I read somewhere it was shot in 4K), everything was soft; like a film was over the screen, blacks not deep at all, faces soft focus. This using the calibration on post #1 of this thread.
I've rented the House of Cards on Blu-ray which is 1080p. I can't tell you what shape the Netflix streaming version of House of Cards is in. My impression is that it is intentionally soft. They do that these days. Check the forum that reviews Blu-ray releases here at AVS. There should be information about the director's intent when they shot House of Cards.

Did you like your job as a projectionist? Did you like watching the movies at work?

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 04-11-2016 at 12:38 AM.
post #5171 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
HTPC EXPERIENCE:
When using the display for normal Windows use it is seems rough, movements of the mouse, dragging windows or other things, etc. Nothing seems really fluid when I compare it to my older TV. I'd have to imagine it's due to the larger resolution but I really don't know. My main gripe is in using KODI and MPC-HC as media players. I get stuttering/slow motion type of artifacts when playing movies that are 23.967fps, typically your blu-rays and such. Usually videos and movies will play fine for a minute or so, sometimes more, and then inevitably hit a point where the stutter/slow down, then it will rectify itself and repeat. This seems to happen in KODI more than MPC-HC as far as I can tell. Again, my setup is the same as it was with my old TV, which was nice and smooth, and the only thing really changing is the resolution, no? Up from 1080p to 2160p, same 60Hz, same 4:4:4 8bit. I'm also experiencing anomalies with the sound.

Within KODI I had a option "sync playback to display" (picture below) selected for my 1080p Sammy and the video and sound were fine, perfect. If I have that box checked in KODI with the Vizio the video will run fine but I get audio glitches and dropouts. If I uncheck it, it is the opposite, the audio is fine and the video gets stuttery at times. The option to "adjust display refresh rate" within KODI just makes a mess of everything, which I expected but I don't remember if I tested on my Samsung. MPC-HC seems to play files a little bit better but still with the same video issues and occasional audio issues. This makes me thing it could be a software related issue but I can't understand why it's happening with this TV. For me personally, whether it's the display, software, or a combination of both, I am not getting along with it on that front.

I'm not sure if people using PLEX have any of these issues but I really don't want to have to change my whole user experience if I don't have to. I've never used PLEX but I just don't see why it's not running fine with KODI and MPC-HC to some extent.

Playing blu-rays from the PS3 or PS4 seems fine to me. I don't get the issues above, but this isn't ideal for what I've created and immediately is the biggest deal breaker.
The problems you are experiencing with the desktop to me sound like some sort of issue with the HDMI bandwidth or TV processing and not just the result of a larger, higher resolution display. That right there is a deal breaker, but further problems with MPC-HC, my main player, makes this completely unappealing. This is the exact information I was looking for, now the question is do I want a 2015 Sony before they are all gone, a 2016 Sony, or does anyone think these issues be improved with future firmware updates?
post #5172 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I know most of these threads are about picture quality and settings, my question relates to audio options and this TV. I'm probably going to buy the 65 inch model of this P series this summer. What I want to know is....if I end up getting one of those Vizio 5.1 surround systems (I don't want to mess with running cable), do you hook it up via an HDMI ARC option? Seems like the Vizio bars have limited inputs, but I thought I also read from an article a couple of years old that not all TVs will send 5.1 audio via ARC. Can this P series tv do this? If so that would be great.....if not, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and find a way to run speaker wires under carpet. Thanks everyone!
post #5173 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Best television image I ever saw in my life was the last Superbowl on a friend's 50-odd inch Pioneer Elite Plasma.
The Elite Kuro sets came in 50" and 60" sizes, and were the best in the world until the last Samsung and Panasonic plasma's were released. At that point the generation 9 Elite sets were still being used as the reference for grading other sets.

The Superbowl signal probably isn't compressed for one thing, and the the 50" Elite is tiny compared to any 65" set which means there is a lot of magnification. The 60" Elites were known to be "softer" than the Elite 50" sets. It's like gravity. It's a law of nature. Most HDTV programs have better picture quality in the commercials.

You've gotten some very consistent advise here, now all you can do is assimilate it.

You've told us that all you want is 720p and 1080i TV. Now you're dipping your toe into Netflix streaming. Next you may try renting some Blu-ray movies. Good Blu-ray players start at around $70.

Almost everyone that wants a bigger screen is looking for immersion. And that's why they were interested in Blu-ray when it first came out, and it's why they are hot for HDR10 and Dolby Vision -- extended colors, higher peak contrast, and four times the pixels to fill those bigger screens. Only thing is that if you feed a TV signal to a 4K set, it's going to take several pixels to simulate one pixel from the original source.

The early days of HDTV and Blu-ray were rough. We're in the same kind of conversion right now.
zeekle and Anago like this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 04-11-2016 at 01:19 AM.
post #5174 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic71789 View Post
The problems you are experiencing with the desktop to me sound like some sort of issue with the HDMI bandwidth or TV processing and not just the result of a larger, higher resolution display. That right there is a deal breaker, but further problems with MPC-HC, my main player, makes this completely unappealing. This is the exact information I was looking for, now the question is do I want a 2015 Sony before they are all gone, a 2016 Sony, or does anyone think these issues be improved with future firmware updates?
This is very worrying for me as well. I watch a lot of my content through my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro through MKV via HDMI / lightning into my panny plasma. Whichever TV I choose to purchase must be compatible to that end.

-Vader
post #5175 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
I'm probably going to buy the 65 inch model of this P series this summer. What I want to know is....if I end up getting one of those Vizio 5.1 surround systems (I don't want to mess with running cable), do you hook it up via an HDMI ARC option?
This is an impression, and you should look at Visio's description of their speaker system when it's released. My understanding that the surround speakers are wireless. For all I know the sub and the sound bar (FL, C, FR) are wireless. I don't see any reason to involve ARC because there is no AVR involved. I think it's very unlikely that you will have to run speaker wires using the speakers Visio is releasing for the P-Series.

By this summer all should be clear. If not, wait a bit and all will be clear. Maybe all is clear already and only you and I don't know about it.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #5176 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'm using this as a PC monitor with Windows 7 and a GTX970 on HDMI-1 and HDMI-5 from dual HDMI outs on my Denon X4200W, no video processing applied.

HTPC EXPERIENCE:
This is worrisome for me, too. I plan on using my P65 in the same way... no cable/internet content.

Just curious, have you tried to connect your HTPC directly into the set, bypassing your Denon? I am planning to use my Denon, too, but I'm curious if it isn't the culprit.
post #5177 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Quote:
I advised my Father-in-Law to pick up the P75 and BB advised him to go with an edge lit Samsung. He ended up picking up an edge lit from Costco for the same price as the P75. He got it home and realized the PQ wasn't as good as it had lines across the screen. He now has a P75 on order. Vizio should really lean on BB to stop the spread of misinformation.
Old habits die hard. It doesn't help BB's case to keep the exclusive for very long does it?
This was what I was trying to tell Matt when he was here, I understood the explanation he gave to me about why they are using BB exclusively at the moment (I had asked about Amazon) but the truth is places like bestbuy have no reason to recommend Vizio over any other tv they have unless they are getting extra commission money under the table from Vizio.....

Also there's also the fact that for less informed shoppers they may take the word of a BB employee as gospel if they are not the type to do their own online research etc.

I know if I was shopping for a tv and I didn't have a clue what technical things are I would steer clear of a tv that I was told wasn't good just by virtue of thinking that the BB employee would have more knowledge than I do especially if he's working in the electronics section.

I'm just still shocked that Vizio chose to go with this limited approach. It's almost like the case of someone starting to become famous & popular and then forgetting about the little things that got them there.... In this case for Vizio it would be places like Walmart, Costco, maybe to some extent online outlets like Amazon as well.

I know back in 2009 when Vizio was still relatively unknown I took a chance & got my tv from Walmart... So limiting yourself to just your online store and BB doesn't exactly strike me as a smart or bright idea, but then again I don't work for the company so nothing I say will matter much.
post #5178 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboedsupe View Post
Quote:
OK guys,
My 65 was just installed this afternoon. I only watch network television. No games, no "cast" stuff, nothing else. 100% network television. I had been using a 53" Sharp Aquos LCD from 2011 and things generally looked OK on it, but here it looks like everything I recorded off the cable system in HD is in SD. Rtings had it right that it does a horrible job of upscaling.

Did I just make a colossal mistake in selecting this unit? Like I said, other than maybe 1 or 2 Netflix original shows, I have no interest in movies or streaming this or that. No "cord cutter" here. Is there any way to improve the quality of material that's not released above 720p or 1080i? I don't own a BR-D player either so I can't see if it's a problem with the Vizio or something else, and I refuse to pay $15 to rent a movie to "test" 4k. Suggestions?
I came from a 65" 2014 sharp aquos and this Vizio kills it on direct tv. You need to realize you made a big jump in size and quality. Your old small dim TV hid most defects. You can adjust settings to help the crappier channels look better. On a side note why buy this tv if you had no plans on watching the best quality content out there? That's what this tv is all about
I don't think people realize the effects that size has on resolution. When you go from a crappy 40inch tv to a 65inch of course it's not going to look as "sharp" especially when you're playing lower resolution content on it. Agains the severity of the issue can be helped a little by having an excellent scaler...

So I'm not going to complain that my PlayStation 2 games look crappy when playing games on P65-c in comparison to some 30 inch 480p tv. And for people like the guy above that only watches poor low resolution content anyway they are in for a rude awakening. I also don't understand why spend that much money wasted on a tv like to underutilize it.

That would be like me buying a GTX 980 only to play Uno and solitaire with it :-|
post #5179 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
I don't think people realize the effects that size has on resolution. When you go from a crappy 40inch tv to a 65inch of course it's not going to look as "sharp" especially when you're playing lower resolution content on it. Agains the severity of the issue can be helped a little by having an excellent scaler...

So I'm not going to complain that my PlayStation 2 games look crappy when playing games on P65-c in comparison to some 30 inch 480p tv. And for people like the guy above that only watches poor low resolution content anyway they are in for a rude awakening. I also don't understand why spend that much money wasted on a tv like to underutilize it.

That would be like me buying a GTX 980 only to play Uno and solitaire with it :-|
That is not really the issue though. The TV does not have a good upscaler, plain and simple. It personally does not affect me, but it is well below the average.

For example, I was watching trainwreck last night. The beginning of the movie is suppose to look "old"....well it just looked awful b.c of the upscaler.
post #5180 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:

That is not really the issue though. The TV does not have a good upscaler, plain and simple. It personally does not affect me, but it is well below the average.

For example, I was watching trainwreck last night. The beginning of the movie is suppose to look "old"....well it just looked awful b.c of the upscaler.
So then get a different tv..... It's really that simple my friend.
post #5181 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know if this thread is the proper place to make a suggestion or if there is way to make suggestions to Vizio.

I think it would be much better if we could cycle through each display setting individually on the tablet, with the ability to use the volume keys to adjust the setting. It is very difficult to make setting adjustments using the slider bars. It is not accurate and there is also a delay which increases the difficulty. I can imagine it being nearly impossible for a person who does not have completely steady fingers. If you shake at all it's going to be next to impossible to accurately adjust the settings with slider bars.
post #5182 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So then get a different tv..... It's really that simple my friend.
It is an owners thread, and owners are making people aware of issues they have with the set. I have owned 4 or 5 4K sets and it is easily the worst with upscaling. I think people need to know that. It may or may not effect you. I am a cord cutter, so it really does not affect me. If you mainly watch cable though you do not want this set IMO.
fvbounty and pos1121 like this.
post #5183 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Quote:

I've had the p75 for over a week now, I think i felt the same way as many people when I first turned on the set after comming from a Samsung 4K tv with a glossy screen(makes a big difference) and noticed that that cable picture wasn't what I was used to.I think I was also subcontiously biased toward the vizio since I was a life long Samsung guy up until this one, and only associated Vizio as those budget tvs families bought from target. I had read all the user reviews and how great and "future proof" this tv was but still somehow wanted this that I had bought ... To fail. MY best friend who is as "techy" as I am predicted that I would eventually decide to come crawling back to Samsung, even if it meant losing 10 inches and DV.

After messing with the settings and getting and just getting used to the new tv, I can honestly say I don't even notice the differences in picture anymore , which is just like some of the other members of this forum said would happen. Yes, the upscaller is not the best, but with a little work you can get the picture to be to your liking, at least I could.
post #5184 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
If you are looking for something to be better than the P series you'll need to look into a mid to high end receiver or an external processor. Here's one from a pretty reputable brand

http://www.amazon.com/DVDO-DVDO-4KSV...ords=4k+scaler

I can't vouch for it but it should be better than the P series if you don't have a good receiver. The Xbox One wouldn't be what you are looking for.
I'm about 99% sure those DVDO scalers are not HDCP 2.2 compliant. That means you'll have to take them out of the loop when you want to pass through 4K content (and eventually HDR10 content because they're not HDMI 2.0a either). Not a huge deal but something to consider if you only want to run one HDMI cable from your HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0a receiver to your TV. The scalers probably won't pass ARC back to the receiver either so if you do a lot of casting you'll have to run an optical connection and/or another HDMI cable anyway.
post #5185 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
This was what I was trying to tell Matt when he was here, I understood the explanation he gave to me about why they are using BB exclusively at the moment (I had asked about Amazon) but the truth is places like bestbuy have no reason to recommend Vizio over any other tv they have unless they are getting extra commission money under the table from Vizio.....

Also there's also the fact that for less informed shoppers they may take the word of a BB employee as gospel if they are not the type to do their own online research etc.

I know if I was shopping for a tv and I didn't have a clue what technical things are I would steer clear of a tv that I was told wasn't good just by virtue of thinking that the BB employee would have more knowledge than I do especially if he's working in the electronics section.

I'm just still shocked that Vizio chose to go with this limited approach. It's almost like the case of someone starting to become famous & popular and then forgetting about the little things that got them there.... In this case for Vizio it would be places like Walmart, Costco, maybe to some extent online outlets like Amazon as well.

I know back in 2009 when Vizio was still relatively unknown I took a chance & got my tv from Walmart... So limiting yourself to just your online store and BB doesn't exactly strike me as a smart or bright idea, but then again I don't work for the company so nothing I say will matter much.
So I just spent the majority of sat & sun at BB and they pushed Sony extra hard. I bought the 850D and returned it on Sunday as it was highly disappointing. I see the Vizio P75 sitting in the farthest corner of magnolia and ask about it and 3 separate reps could not tell me a thing about it other than "don’t do it, it’s not good, you need to go Sony or Samsung".

(FYI...my Vizio arrives tomorrow and if it’s anything like what I saw in store I will be very happy)
pos1121 likes this.
post #5186 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGONZ825 View Post
So I just spent the majority of sat & sun at BB and they pushed Sony extra hard. I bought the 850D and returned it on Sunday as it was highly disappointing. I see the Vizio P75 sitting in the farthest corner of magnolia and ask about it and 3 separate reps could not tell me a thing about it other than "don’t do it, it’s not good, you need to go Sony or Samsung".

(FYI...my Vizio arrives tomorrow and if it’s anything like what I saw in store I will be very happy)
Crazy that they do this. A good scene I like to Demo in the dark is Oblivion where morgan freeman lights his cigar and is in the dark talking. It looks so amazing on this set. I also have an LG EA9800 OLED and the blacks are so very similar. The Vizio wins b.c of uniformity and shadow detail. OLEDs really struggle with near dark scenes.
post #5187 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Crazy that they do this. A good scene I like to Demo in the dark is Oblivion where morgan freeman lights his cigar and is in the dark talking. It looks so amazing on this set. I also have an LG EA9800 OLED and the blacks are so very similar. The Vizio wins b.c of uniformity and shadow detail. OLEDs really struggle with near dark scenes.
I spent hours setting up the Sony 850D and tested the Daredevil Season 2 Staircase fight scene. Very dark scene with great action and the Sony could not handle it. I had a few people over and we could barely make out the action. I even used the rtings.com settings to set it up the best way possible for this kind of viewing and with the lights out it was disappointing.

I was really surprised how the Vizio looked, even with the store demo they had, and how much effort BB put into not selling/pushing it. They were actually trying to get me into floor model Sony’s for a better price because it was still "so much better" than vizio.
post #5188 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
A few general comments after reading some posts from the last few hours:

1. 4k/60 4:4:4 10bit. It's not part of the HDMI 2.0 spec. Anything at 4k/60 above 8bit is going to be difficult to push. You can waltz over the the Samsung UBD K8500 Bluray player thread for the best information on the site. There is ONE cable over 15' feet that they've proved to work... $899. There are going to be a lot of short cables that are not going to work.

2. Hooking up to HTPC's and video cards. Drivers matter. Anyone that's tinkered with PC's knows that there's a world of hurt out there with compatibility and getting systems tuned to max out performance. When you push any system to it's outer extents of capability, your going to have some issues. This set is brand new.

3. Cable/Satellite/Source quality.... When I did my mini-review on page 1, day 1, cable upscaling was accurately and honestly rated. Rtings.com's comments are consistent with mine. There's been nothing said in the last 2 weeks that doesn't confirm the observations. It's not Vizio's focus with the P series to be an "average cable" upscaling television. It's just a fact that highly compressed sources are not going to be processed to look as good as some things folks are use to. When you get to good sources, it's amazing. My cable source looks better than good. Don't buy this TV to watch average cable if that is your primary use. If you're going to encounter a bad signal occasionally, perhaps you can live with it. I know I can but my cable provider is outstanding and getting better by the week. Recent switch to MPEG4 for many major networks has dramatically improved things.

4. DSE, banding, screen uniformity and VA panels. The best encapsulated primer on the subject is on rtings.com. It's inherent in LCD manufacturing and technology. There's a fairly broad band of what you can/should expect. Your tolerance for it is certainly a personal thing and nobody's judging whether you should or shouldn't tolerate it. Screen uniformity is exacerbated by off-angle viewing. Bigger screens seem to amplify the issue for some. Regardless, it's going to be there to some degree. If you want to see how good or bad your set is for DSE, watch some hockey. It's the torture test. For me, it's no issue. When I watch hockey, I ether sit at a direct angle to the viewing plane or I angle my wall mount to minimize it. That's me. It's not going away by swapping sets. You might get ones that's better than the first (or you might get one that's worse). It's called the panel lottery. OLED is your way out of screen uniformity issues.

5. Casting and the Tablet. It's Vizio's future. All of their televisions released from the P series on out will be using this interface. With the volumes they deal with, it HAS to work. I am 100% convinced that it's a primary engineering focus for them.

6. Early adoption: Yup, we're early adopters. It's got some pain involved. I'm so happy with this TV it would take a lot to get me to return it. So far, I'm nowhere near that threshold. Update firmware if you haven't. Update all your apps daily if a patch comes down the pipe. If you're having consistent issue, call Vizio right away. They don't want you to have problems. They've been very good to me with my old M and so far so good with the P. This tv is going to do nothing but improve by the week. If you don't want to live with the growing pains, it's ok, return it. You can always come back to it later. If you have to have something now and you can't live with the issues in your integration and setting, that's ok.

Thanks for all the quality feedback. Lots of good info shared.
Schwa, htwaits, VBB and 16 others like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 04-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.
post #5189 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
A few general comments after reading some posts from the last few hours:.

You should add this to post #1
htwaits, zeekle, shoman94 and 1 others like this.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #5190 of 63937 Old 04-11-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
My use-case is a bit different than yours but since you mentioned PLEX I can speak to that since I use it.

Anyway, I have my roughly 1200 Blu-rays ripped to my 20TB Drobo 5N using Handbrake's Apple TV 3 preset. They're ripped as 1080p H.264 encodes in MP4 containers, all with stereo AAC and 5.1 DD soundtracks. Each rip also has metadata that I've downloaded and installed from the iTunes Store using Subler. My Drobo runs the PLEX server but it doesn't do any transcoding - everything is streamed natively to the TV using the tablet remote's PLEX app.

This works flipping fantastically. It surprisingly works much better than I expected it to. All the metadata shows up on the tablet remote and the TV just as I'd expect. Any hiccups or stutters I've encountered are pretty rare and usually only occur if there is congestion or interference on my wi-fi network. It's really a pretty slick setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page