Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1758 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288722Likes

post #52711 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
Please confirm the order of your pics..... Is the first(left) one dv 50 or dv 30. IMO, the one on the left is way brighter that the right. Though in your other pics, the dv 30 is brighter. I just wanted to make sure you didn't switch them up accidentally.

SO its kind of a double edge sword. If

you lower the backlight it dims the overall brightness level of the screen but at the same time it seems to be brightening the brightest portions of the screen.
That is a crazy difference!
Looking at those 2 pics on my phone, the one on the looks like it has a gray film over it. And the right is with DV 30??! Makes no sense!
Yep you got it. That is why I've been going nuts here talking about DV being broken.

I can understand if tweaking the backlight messes up the picture for Dolby vision since it's supposed to be automatic and left at default. However, if the default that it resets to every time is giving overexposed dull dim highlights then skmething isn't right. We need as many people as possible to identify the issue on their own sets and report to Vizio so they know my report isn't just a fringe outlier.
What would work well on Netflix for me to recreate this?
I only have Pacific rim in uhd hdr10
Well that's the thing, Netflix I believe grades differently so the issue is less severe for whatever reason. I found a spot in a movie I'd have to go check tonight though

If you own the uhd Blu of Pacific rim you can always redeem the digital code of it on Vudu and you'll get the Dolby vision verison
toonj64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52712 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please

So after further testing, I need to make something clear: DV content played with 50 backlight still has that “haze” over the highlights. They do appear brighter, but lowering backlight to 30 seemingly removes the haze and makes highlights pop more. So that hasn’t been fixed with the latest update. It’s the same as it was before.

Just wanted to clear that up.
shoman94 and toonj64 like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #52713 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
So after further testing, I need to make something clear: DV content played with 50 backlight still has that ?haze? over the highlights. They do appear brighter, but lowering backlight to 30 seemingly removes the haze and makes highlights pop more. So that hasn?t been fixed with the latest update. It?s the same as it was before.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Ugh. Come on Vizio. They're not going to fix this unless enough of us make a fuss about it. It's apparently been this way since January. Our best hope is to make noise on Reddit since that's where Vizio actively monitors now.

Does it at least save the custom Dolby vision setting of 30 now if the tv is powered off?
DAB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52714 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 76
So what is the ACTUAL firmware all non beta users/testers should be on at this time?

I thought I was on the beta test group but apparently I'm not as I'm pretty much late with every update that comes thru.

2017 Vizio P65
2015 Vizio M50
post #52715 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Try 'Cosmos Laundromat'. Go 8:08 into it and pause at the swirl with its bright center. It's tricky. You might have to try a few times to land on the right frame/scene.

It was either this short or some other content I found the peak is under 30... more like 25. I had to try a number of peak-brights in various content to find the brightest one where it didn't 'bloom-out'. My first find was 30ish, and later it's more like 25 (at least on my P50). I'll have to dig-up one of messages about it late last year or in Jan when I first discovered this 'phenomenon'.

- Pj
toonj64 likes this.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #52716 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Quote:

Try 'Cosmos Laundromat'. Go 8:08 into it and pause at the swirl with its bright center. It's tricky. You might have to try a few times to land on the right frame/scene.

It was either this short or some other content I found the peak is under 30... more like 25. I had to try a number of peak-brights in various content to find the brightest one where it didn't 'bloom-out'. My first find was 30ish, and later it's more like 25 (at least on my P50). I'll have to dig-up one of messages about it late last year or in Jan when I first discovered this 'phenomenon'.

- Pj
Can you go post this on Reddit and submit a report to Vizio support on their website? I did both to try to get the ball rolling.

Hell I emailed rtings too to see if they can investigate since it's clear the new firmware doesn't fix anything.
post #52717 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernzilla88 View Post

So what is the ACTUAL firmware all non beta users/testers should be on at this time?

3.3.18.1 is what most have now. 3.4.8.5 is now just rolling out in batches.

- Pj

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #52718 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Can you go post this on Reddit and submit a report to Vizio support on their website? I did both to try to get the ball rolling...

Yeah, but I first got to dig up my past posts on it and gather up some info to post on it. Didn't Vizio respond already and is aware and looking into it?

I also want everyone who has some 'squealing' / 'Beep' / 'Tone' still going on to report. This has been going on since the 3.xx Firmware series came out. It's coming up on ONE YEAR with this problem! One more collective try on Reddit before I open a 'Ticket'.

- Pj

post #52719 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Can you go post this on Reddit and submit a report to Vizio support on their website? I did both to try to get the ball rolling...

Yeah, but I first got to dig up my past posts on it and gather up some info to post on it. Didn't Vizio respond already and is aware and looking into it?

I also want everyone who has some 'squealing' / 'Beep' / 'Tone' still going on to report. This has been going on since the 3.xx Firmware series came out. It's coming up on ONE YEAR with this problem! One more collective try on Reddit before I open a 'Ticket'.

- Pj
All Vizio did was essentially thank me for my information and they would pass it on to the appropriate team. So basically nothing at this point. The more people that fuss, the better so it doesn't seem like one isolated instance
blatz8 likes this.
post #52720 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

- Pj
Actually, I've noticed the 'click' sound as well. It doesn't happen all the time, normally when everything is silent. Thought it was my Shield doing it, but heard it yesterday while in the Smartcast menu.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #52721 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Actually, I've noticed the 'click' sound as well.

Clicks. Always heard them. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! That's something else. They can be soft, medium, or LOUD!

- Pj
blatz8 likes this.

post #52722 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

All Vizio did was essentially thank me for my information and they would pass it on to the appropriate team. So basically nothing at this point. The more people that fuss, the better so it doesn't seem like one isolated instance

I saw the reply from Vizio Support, "We are working with our team to see if we have any further information on this." And I see you sent them some pics. I posted a brief message on it, just moments ago.

- Pj

post #52723 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see over on Reddit that the 3.4.8.5 Firmware Release is limited. The post didn't use the word 'Beta'. Also, for anyone with 3.4.8.5, do you have any Aspect Ratio problems? That's one bug being reported.

- Pj

post #52724 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I saw the reply from Vizio Support, "We are working with our team to see if we have any further information on this." And I see you sent them some pics. I posted a brief message on it, just moments ago.

- Pj
Yep I saw. Thanks. I've been sending prrivate messages too as I'm not sure how much they browse the threads after they initially view it. Might not be a bad idea to do the same. I basically double post to keep public file of what I send privately in case strangers stumble across.

Wouldn't really be necessary with Matt given his track record, but this is unknown territory I guess.
post #52725 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Ugh. Come on Vizio. They're not going to fix this unless enough of us make a fuss about it. It's apparently been this way since January. Our best hope is to make noise on Reddit since that's where Vizio actively monitors now.

Does it at least save the custom Dolby vision setting of 30 now if the tv is powered off?
It does retain the settings used Dolby Vision, so powering off and then back on the backlight stays at whatever you set it to. I always create a Dolby Vision labeled setting, so I’m unsure if that applies to Calibrated Dark or not.

I also just grabbed Man of Steel and Pacific Rim from VUDU. Hard to pass up for $15 each. The explosions in the beginning of Man of Steel (when ships are blowing up in the sky behind Jor-El) at 30 backlight, heck even 50, were so bright it was like looking into the sun. Haha. Haven’t checked out Pacific Rim yet.
DAB and shoman94 like this.

Last edited by Big Brad; 10-12-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #52726 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It does retain the settings used Dolby Vision, so powering off and then back on the backlight stays at whatever you set it to. I always create a Dolby Vision labeled setting, so I?m unsure if that applies to Calibrated Dark or not.
Yeqh but does it switch to different settings for SDR and hdr or just stay the same?

In current firmware it will stay it based on standard pic mode, but the same backlight will apply to SDR hdr and dv. While Calibrated/calibrated dark change backlight depending on source.
post #52727 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeqh but does it switch to different settings for SDR and hdr or just stay the same?

In current firmware it will stay it based on standard pic mode, but the same backlight will apply to SDR hdr and dv. While Calibrated/calibrated dark change backlight depending on source.

It will change depending on if it’s HDR10, Dolby Vision or SDR.

post #52728 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

hope is to make noise on Reddit since that's where Vizio actively monitors now.
Never been on Reddit{too much politics}-- Vizio-- come back here-- this is your selling base...
rjspring and blatz8 like this.
post #52729 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5751 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
It does retain the settings used Dolby Vision, so powering off and then back on the backlight stays at whatever you set it to. I always create a Dolby Vision labeled setting, so I’m unsure if that applies to Calibrated Dark or not.

I also just grabbed Man of Steel and Pacific Rim from VUDU. Hard to pass up for $15 each. The explosions in the beginning of Man of Steel (when ships are blowing up in the sky behind Jor-El) at 30 backlight, heck even 50, were so bright it was like looking into the sun. Haha. Haven’t checked out Pacific Rim yet.
Yes I use that into a lot.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #52730 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

hope is to make noise on Reddit since that's where Vizio actively monitors now.

Vizio-- come back here-- this is your selling base...

Coming back here? Don't count on it. I asked about AVS over there.

The answer goes like this from Vizio:

"We do not have any active monitoring of AVS Forums, and are moving towards support on our subreddit here. We have no information to provide towards beta firmware at this time. If we have further information on this, we'll provide it at that time. -Collin"

- Pj

post #52731 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My P65-C1 is arriving on Monday. I didn't realize until after I ordered it that HDR input lag for gaming is around 45ms.

Those that have an Xbox One, is this an issue for you?

I'm upgrading from a M60-C3 which has low lag but I'd like be able to game with 4K HDR.

I play mainly shooters.
post #52732 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by inocent View Post
My P65-C1 is arriving on Monday. I didn't realize until after I ordered it that HDR input lag for gaming is around 45ms.

Those that have an Xbox One, is this an issue for you?

I'm upgrading from a M60-C3 which has low lag but I'd like be able to game with 4K HDR.

I play mainly shooters.
Difference is noticeable, but not bad. You adjust rather quickly.
post #52733 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

- Pj
Hmmmm....I just got my P55-E1 last month. I decided to update the video card in my HTPC to a nVidia GT 1030 from an ATI 4550. First I was made to move the HDMI connection from my Denon 2112 directly to the TV as content protection blocked the picture from showing.

So with the HTPC plugged into HDMI 2 we started to notice the noises you describe. It only happens on 2-3 channels and mainly during the commercials. So after 1.5 hours yesterday of trying different settings and drivers I moved the HTPC to HDMI 5. Eureka....the noises went away. I tried HDMI 3 and 4 and they both produced the noise. Moved it back to 5 and have not heard the noise since.

tl;dr
Did you try moving the device causing the noise to a different HDMI port?

*Edit*
Now if only I could enable CEC/ARC and set the display to bitstream or DD for audio output and not get the squirrel sounds I'd be totally happy with this set.
post #52734 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steba View Post
Difference is noticeable, but not bad. You adjust rather quickly.
Cool, thanks

Also can I calibrate the TV right away or should I wait for a bit before I do it?
post #52735 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3106 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by inocent View Post
Cool, thanks

Also can I calibrate the TV right away or should I wait for a bit before I do it?
I wouldn't worry about calibration til you are 100+ hours in. Some wait 200+.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.
post #52736 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Is there a way to switch to a different language audio when viewing a movie via USB?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
post #52737 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
Is there a way to switch to a different language audio when viewing a movie via USB?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I'm afraid not. USB playing capability is very limited.
fmedrano1977 likes this.
post #52738 of 64739 Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattison View Post
I had this issue with my P65 as well. My Plex server is not sufficient to transcode h265 so the video would just freeze. Someone else posted a custom profile that corrected the issue for me. Since we all have different setups and encode differently, this may not work for everyone.

1. Go to your Plex profile directory:c:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles
2. Make a backup of the Chromecast.xml in another directory
3. Copy the following code into the Chromecast.xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Client name="Chromecast">
<!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
<TranscodeTargets>
<VideoProfile protocol="http" container="matroska" codec="h264,HEVC" audioCodec="eac3,ac3,aac" context="streaming">
</VideoProfile>
<MusicProfile container="matroska" codec="mp3" />
<PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
</TranscodeTargets>
<DirectPlayProfiles>
<VideoProfile container="mp4,mkv" codec="h264,HEVC" audioCodec="ac3,eac3,aac" />
<MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
<MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
<PhotoProfile container="jpeg,gif,bmp,png" />
</DirectPlayProfiles>
</Client>
4. Save the file, stop and start your Plex server. You should be good to go.

You should keep a copy of the working xml file for later use because these profiles are overwritten each time Plex updates. You can create a user profile as well that is supposed to override the standard profile, but I didn't have luck with that.
@mmattison or anyone else. I've seen some posts that plex can't do H265 without making some kinds of change. I casted some h265 today for the first time with plex and it played fine. I'm guessing the latest version of plex fixed this and we don't need to hardcode anything? I just want to be sure I'm getting best quality. What settings can I check to make sure I'm getting the best quality? Why didn't I have to do a custom profile?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #52739 of 64739 Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5206 Post(s)
Liked: 3219
Quote:
Hmm don't have that on the e series. Oh well
I couldn't find it on the "P" series either but it used to be there. Don't know why they removed it?

lujan
696 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #52740 of 64739 Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Quote:
Hmm don't have that on the e series. Oh well
I couldn't find it on the "P" series either but it used to be there. Don't know why they removed it?
Sorry I meant P-E series. 2017 P. Whoops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page