Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1843 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #55261 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
That was the issue. Very sneaky hiding the HDR option under brightness. Destiny looks amazing with HDR on!
The problem is that it adds alot of input lag. I play so much Destiny that I instantly noticed it and I immediately turned it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55262 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Let’s put aside all of our(@mpgxsvcd, @shoman94 , @AirborneMaikai ) differences on the original post. Arguing about that post is kind of pointless now. I think we should concentrate more on doing future well controlled tests of this.

The test shouldn’t be done with an iPhone or any phone for that matter. It really has to be done with a proper camera on a fixed tripod with the exact same settings.

The issue you can run into with tests like this is that a brighter screen can cause the image captured by the camera to “blow out” simply because it is too bright for the camera to capture the detail that is actually there.

For instance, if one format is displaying the highlights darker than another format then it might appear properly exposed while the brighter format blows out the highlights in the captured image even though it has all of the details in real life. Brighter highlights are typically considered desirable but the camera can distort this fact and make it look like the brighter format is actually worse.

I have the proper equipment to do the test. However, I can only do it with the factory defaults for “Calibrated” and “Calibrated Dark”. Someone else will have to do the test with properly calibrated DV and HDR10. I think all tests would give us valuable information if they are done properly.

I will try to do the factory defaults test tonight. Is there anyone who can to the calibrated test with a proper camera?
I don't have any problem with the post at all. I understood what I understood it to be. If I misunderstood then I misunderstood and that's fine. I don't appreciate being called a troll when I'm far from that.

Anyways, My cell has a full manual mode camera but I'm not sure how to use it to it's full capacity. I also have a tripod. I could try and see what I come up with. I also don't think we should be comparing HDR10 disc to DV stream. It should be stream to stream or disc to disc IMO. I don't have an HDR disc player so I can do that one.
Torqdog likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #55263 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I don't have any problem with the post at all. I understood what I understood it to be. If I misunderstood then I misunderstood and that's fine. I don't appreciate being called a troll when I'm far from that.

Anyways, My cell has a full manual mode camera but I'm not sure how to use it to it's full capacity. I also have a tripod. I could try and see what I come up with. I also don't think we should be comparing HDR10 disc to DV stream. It should be stream to stream or disc to disc IMO. I don't have an HDR disc player so I can do that one.
I see why you thought he was saying it is SDR vs. HDR. I get that. I am just hoping we can move on from that discussion and get to what is really productive.

It is possible to use a phone for this test even though it is not recommended. However, you must make sure that nothing is getting clipped by the camera in the phone for either example. Find the point that both examples clip at. Then use the settings for the format that clips first for both examples. That way you guarantee that the camera is capable of capturing all of the highlight data that is being presented.

Doing this will make one example look underexposed but that is ok. It will highlight that one format is displaying considerably darker than the other format. That is definitely a piece of information that would be valuable to know.

Honestly, the difference between streaming bit rates and disc bit rates should be the least of our worries. The H.265 codec is so efficient that it won’t be the limiting factor here. Your camera phone will add WAY more compression to the captured image than the difference between disc bit rates and streaming bit rates.

I really want to know if there is considerable color differences and brightness differences between DV and PQ(HDR10). Those are the factors that are most likely to make a significant difference in the viewing experience between the two formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55264 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I spent the weekend putting my recertified replacement P65-C1 (on the latest firmware) through its paces. I hesitated to state this definitively but it seems perfectly fine. It performed as it should all weekend, casting worked perfectly, no white lines or window blinds or random reboots on any sources. Didn't change anything in the setup, just swapped out the display and power cable with the replacement. Added bonus that the DSE/uniformity is better on this set too. Fingers crossed that it stays this way.
Glenee and blatz8 like this.
post #55265 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
I spent the weekend putting my recertified replacement P65-C1 (on the latest firmware) through its paces. I hesitated to state this definitively but it seems perfectly fine. It performed as it should all weekend, casting worked perfectly, no white lines or window blinds or random reboots on any sources. Didn't change anything in the setup, just swapped out the display and power cable with the replacement. Added bonus that the DSE/uniformity is better on this set too. Fingers crossed that it stays this way.
I think your C1 issues were an outlier and unrelated to the E1 white line issues. I think you're the only person who experienced any kind of lines on the C1. Seems like everyone experiencing it lately have bought in the 2nd half of 2017.
kluken likes this.
post #55266 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Well it look sliek the Sony X900E is close enough to the Vizio that I am back to trying to decide what to do about these Vizio quirks. I am debating 1 or 2 paths, get a X900E and see how it looks and if it works fine, take the Vizio back, or Order a new Vizio from Costco (sinceprice is back to what is was when I bought this one) and see if it truly has the white flashing lines again and then decide to either live with it or bring them both back and go Sony.

My 2 biggest issues are the flashing white lines and constant HDCP handshake issues. Both Roku Ultra (2016) and my Shield have constant issues with no input detected. I have all brand new Monoprice cables and even a Blue Jeans on the Roku but every time I turn TV on if the last input was Shield or Roku I have to switch input back to SmartCast then back tot he desired input to get the handshake to properly establish again. Same device on my LG C7 are flawless with HDCP.

To bad as this TV is really a nice TV, but needs to have issues resolved.

I’m having an issue where my upon initial startup, my Denon avr (1300x), Comcast 4k box and Vizio p65-c1 never sync 100% of the time. If I turn the tv on before the avr, there’s a good success rate, but not every time. Sometimes the only way to fix it, is by unplugging and plugging back in the cable box.

Is this a hdcp handshake issue as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #55267 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walddo View Post
I’m having an issue where my upon initial startup, my Denon avr (1300x), Comcast 4k box and Vizio p65-c1 never sync 100% of the time. If I turn the tv on before the avr, there’s a good success rate, but not every time. Sometimes the only way to fix it, is by unplugging and plugging back in the cable box.

Is this a hdcp handshake issue as well?
No, but it could be a dodgy cable. HDCP failure results in no video or no audio.
post #55268 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSlakoR View Post
I think your C1 issues were an outlier and unrelated to the E1 white line issues. I think you're the only person who experienced any kind of lines on the C1. Seems like everyone experiencing it lately have bought in the 2nd half of 2017.

Nope, my C1 has reboot, white line and occasional picture freezing issues.

post #55269 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
No, but it could be a dodgy cable. HDCP failure results in no video or no audio.

Great, because it’s done it on two separate cables. So that leaves me with no idea how to fix it.

post #55270 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walddo View Post
Great, because it’s done it on two separate cables. So that leaves me with no idea how to fix it.
If you're using nothing but Certified Premium cables in the entire HDMI chain, then its probably not a cable issue.
If your Vizio is not in "quick start" mode, try that. If it is in quick-start, try turning that off.
post #55271 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post

Good to hear. I’ll probably call Vizio. I’m tired of some restart or reboot being required every day. Some days it’s just the display resetting itself once. Others 10-15 seconds of white lines flashing - that never return that session. Or it’ll be the image completely freezing and requiring the display be unplugged. Sick of it.

post #55272 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:11 AM

Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If you're using nothing but Certified Premium cables in the entire HDMI chain, then its probably not a cable issue.
If your Vizio is not in "quick start" mode, try that. If it is in quick-start, try turning that off.

Yep on cables and definitely not quick start, I guess I’ll try putting it in quick start.

post #55273 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not seen the windows blinds in months but last night, I had FireTV going.... all of a sudden my sounds mutes and my receiver visual info says muting..... then I see the windows blinds pop up for a sec then disappear. Then the TV's onscreen volume bar says muted. SO then I unmute it and the TV restarts. After that all is well the rest of the night.

This alone is making me believe it has something so do with ARC.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #55274 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4607 Post(s)
Liked: 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I have not seen the windows blinds in months but last night, I had FireTV going.... all of a sudden my sounds mutes and my receiver visual info says muting..... then I see the windows blinds pop up for a sec then disappear. Then the TV's onscreen volume bar says muted. SO then I unmute it and the TV restarts. After that all is well the rest of the night.

This alone is making me believe it has something so do with ARC.
This is what was happening last week on my P75 but it kept power cycling every 10 minutes or so for 2 days. When it started I was watching content on my Oppo 203 on HDMI 1 so I wasn't using ARC at all. Then on the 3rd day it was back to normal. What could cause this? I'm still waiting for the repair company who tells me that they're waiting on a part. They're scheduled to come tomorrow if the part comes in.
blatz8 likes this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #55275 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
This is what was happening last week on my P75 but it kept power cycling every 10 minutes or so for 2 days. When it started I was watching content on my Oppo 203 on HDMI 1 so I wasn't using ARC at all. Then on the 3rd day it was back to normal. What could cause this? I'm still waiting for the repair company who tells me that they're waiting on a part. They're scheduled to come tomorrow if the part comes in.
Yea I've had it mute on me before (maybe once or twice) but never do what it did yesterday.

Sent from my LG-V30 using Tapatalk

post #55276 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
At this point, we don't know if it's a firmware or a hardware issue. Are you positive it's occurring less since the FW upgrade? I noticed no difference in the incidence rate of flashing white lines when using smartcast.

One other user reported on reddit that Vizio told him the latest firmware solved the white line issue, but that's definitely not true.
I have latest firmware and I get white lines. I had a good streak on my Shield where I went without any white line for 5 straight NetFlix episodes then yesterday turned on my TV and while on the Shield menu got a white lien then 2 more during the first episode on Punisher on NetFlix. I am real close to going the Sony X900E route as I can't be sure Vizio will ever get this resolved. I was willing to tray another Vizio, but then it will be January before I know and TV prices will be back to their regular prices, I am tempted to cut my losses and live without DV.

Such a shame becasue for the money this is an awesome set.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #55277 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My apologies if this has been asked before, but when setting up my TV with my Xbox One X, I need to choose 10 or 12 bit color. Which does this TV do? Also, if the TV is 10, is there a downside to selecting 12? Thanks in advance for the help!
post #55278 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
At this point, we don't know if it's a firmware or a hardware issue. Are you positive it's occurring less since the FW upgrade? I noticed no difference in the incidence rate of flashing white lines when using smartcast.

One other user reported on reddit that Vizio told him the latest firmware solved the white line issue, but that's definitely not true.
I'm not positive it's less. In fact, it almost seemed worse for a 1 hour stretch last night. Maybe it depends on the app and content. I'm taking it back to Costco tonight. Really bummed, though, because you really can't beat the feature set of this TV for $1300. Not sure what to get insead
post #55279 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
I have latest firmware and I get white lines. I had a good streak on my Shield where I went without any white line for 5 straight NetFlix episodes then yesterday turned on my TV and while on the Shield menu got a white lien then 2 more during the first episode on Punisher on NetFlix. I am real close to going the Sony X900E route as I can't be sure Vizio will ever get this resolved. I was willing to tray another Vizio, but then it will be January before I know and TV prices will be back to their regular prices, I am tempted to cut my losses and live without DV.

Such a shame becasue for the money this is an awesome set.
Do you just prefer to watch Netflix through Shield or it doesn't matter the source, the white lines appear either way?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
post #55280 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmofro View Post
I'm not positive it's less. In fact, it almost seemed worse for a 1 hour stretch last night. Maybe it depends on the app and content. I'm taking it back to Costco tonight. Really bummed, though, because you really can't beat the feature set of this TV for $1300. Not sure what to get insead

Yeah if I paid $1300 I would get the $1498 Sony 900 no doubt. The sony just hit that price point again today, I’d jump on it if you can. I paid $999.97 for my p65 tho, so can’t make the jump.

kluken likes this.
post #55281 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
My apologies if this has been asked before, but when setting up my TV with my Xbox One X, I need to choose 10 or 12 bit color. Which does this TV do? Also, if the TV is 10, is there a downside to selecting 12? Thanks in advance for the help!
Put it on 8 bit. Read why here (on the last page of the thread)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xb...hread-134.html

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #55282 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
8bit(this is currently being discussed in the X thread). The lowest common denominator is the best, because apparently(according to several select in the thread) the X switches to 10bit automatically. If you select 10bit it can cause rounding errors and some other weird glitches that people mentioned(when going from 10bit to 8bit).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #55283 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Do you just prefer to watch Netflix through Shield or it doesn't matter the source, the white lines appear either way?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
I prefer the Shield since it is far faster and load videos faster as well, plus I can use SPMC or Kodi to watch my MKVs.

I rarely use any TV apps, only because it is the only way to get DV right now, as soon as Shield supports DV I will never use built in apps again.
AirborneMaikai likes this.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
post #55284 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Proud Owner or was!

I was a proud owner of a P75-C1, today. Apparently it's the last one they had in stock across Canada and for some stupid reason it only took 12 days to arrive at the house.

Unfortunately It arrived Broken.

I already sent it back with courier but Costco can't rectify until the New Year.

Last edited by Bull_Auger; 12-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #55285 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3739
^^^Oh I would be furious. Hopefully the next one gets their quickly.
post #55286 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Auger View Post
I was a proud owner of a P75-C1, today. Apparently it's the last one they had in stock across Canada and for some stupid reason it only took 12 days to arrive at the house.

Unfortunately It arrived Broken.

I already sent it back with courier but Costco can't rectify until the New Year.

First world problem..but it's the worst having your new TV arrive broken...excitement arrested!

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #55287 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
I prefer the Shield since it is far faster and load videos faster as well, plus I can use SPMC or Kodi to watch my MKVs.

I rarely use any TV apps, only because it is the only way to get DV right now, as soon as Shield supports DV I will never use built in apps again.
You get this line on other HDMI connected sources?

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
post #55288 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmschwa View Post

I bought a 2017 P55-E1 during black Friday sale and just set it up tonight.

Netflix doesn't seem to start. Sometimes it will display the Netflix logo, but it never gets to a sign in screen. I got Amazon started and signed in, but every time I go to watch something, it says there's a problem. I also can't seem to cast to it from my Galaxy S8 or my wife's iPhone SE. The firmware says it's 3.3.18.1 and when I go to check for updates it says the display is up to date.

Was this brand new, factory sealed box? Otherwise, it is 'possible' you may have inherited a problem Display someone else returned.

I'd do a Factory Reset. Start over.

But first, make sure WiFi signals are strong to the Display (and to phone - and WiFi-only). Perhaps if you have dual Freq WiFi, set it to one Freq in the SmartCast Mobile App. First try 2.4GHz instead of 2.4/5GHz auto-switching.

The Display should soon update to a later Firmware each time you have the Display cycle on/off daily, if it hasn't already by the time I post this. 3.3.18.1 is older. 3.4.8.5 is more recent and 3.4.8.15 is the latest and is now rolling out in batches.

- Pj

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #55289 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please

2nd factory reset. Finally get it up, and nothing but white lines. Leave tv on and come back to stuck image window blinds. Calling Vizio tonight for a replacement.
Edit:
They want a picture of the white lines...shocker!

And they are going to send a tech for the power issues and resets. So new power supply maybe? Hoping I can catch a picture of the white lines to get a recertified display. She said those pictures would possibly result in a new display.

Last edited by Walddo; 12-18-2017 at 06:22 PM.
post #55290 of 64116 Old 12-18-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
You get this line on other HDMI connected sources?

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Yes, internal apps, and multiple input sources.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page