Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2079 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288720Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #62341 of 64736 Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I rented Ready Play One from my phone in 4k HDR on Google play.

I open the Google Video app on my phone and cast the video to P75. I get the loading screen but no video, only audio.

This is my first time running a Google video and casting. I can't believe it won't work...


Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 09-02-2018 at 06:56 PM.
ffactoryxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62342 of 64736 Old 09-02-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Ok, after turning off and turning on the TV, my 4k UHD movie from Google play starts however it's in 1080p. Why isn't it playing in 4k like I ordered?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #62343 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Ok, after turning off and turning on the TV, my 4k UHD movie from Google play starts however it's in 1080p. Why isn't it playing in 4k like I ordered?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ATM Google Play movies are only in 4k on select 4k Android tv's. Unfortunately casting is limited to 1080p SDR unless you use a Chromecast ultra . Then there's a chance you can get the 4k version due to the codec used. I learned the hard way when I ordered "The last Jedi" expecting 4k dv. If you're in the states, use VUDU since there's a large collection of 4k DV movies with Atmos support but their compression is kinda bad. Otherwise apple tv is unfortunately the best way to go (unless you wanna buy physical media again)

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
blatz8 likes this.
brownknuckles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62344 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SW USA
Posts: 9,775
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Ok, after turning off and turning on the TV, my 4k UHD movie from Google play starts however it's in 1080p. Why isn't it playing in 4k like I ordered?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
ATM Google Play movies are only in 4k on select 4k Android tv's. Unfortunately casting is limited to 1080p SDR unless you use a Chromecast ultra . Then there's a chance you can get the 4k version due to the codec used. I learned the hard way when I ordered "The last Jedi" expecting 4k dv. If you're in the states, use VUDU since there's a large collection of 4k DV movies with Atmos support but their compression is kinda bad. Otherwise apple tv is unfortunately the best way to go (unless you wanna buy physical media again)

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
It should have played in 4k on the Vizio. The only thing that is limited to Chromecast Ultra is HDR.

lujan
693 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #62345 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 02:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It should have played in 4k on the Vizio. The only thing that is limited to Chromecast Ultra is HDR.
It's based on whether the device supports 4k playback, it's if Google enables 4k movie playback from their app. I have an android tv box (piktv box) that outputs 4k @60fps , but since Google hasn't added it to it's "4k supported devices" list, it don't work. I've only seen 4k playback from Play movies on select Sony tvs

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62346 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It should have played in 4k on the Vizio. The only thing that is limited to Chromecast Ultra is HDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
It's based on whether the device supports 4k playback, it's if Google enables 4k movie playback from their app. I have an android tv box (piktv box) that outputs 4k @60fps , but since Google hasn't added it to it's "4k supported devices" list, it don't work. I've only seen 4k playback from Play movies on select Sony tvs

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I read random posting last night and I seem to get mixed information. Some people were saying it should play in 4k and works for them while others say it doesn't because this 2016 TV doesn't have vp9

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 09-03-2018 at 05:02 AM.
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #62347 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SW USA
Posts: 9,775
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I read random posting last night and I seem to get mixed information. Some people were saying it should play in 4k and works for them while others say it doesn't because this 2016 TV doesn't have vp9

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I tried "Ready Player One" on my Vizio using the Smartcast input and casting from the app on my iOS device and yes, it only plays back in 1080p. That's one reason I don't like to use Google Play because you never know what resolution you're going to get with them. I use Vudu mostly because it's very easy to tell what resolution I will get and it has been like this since Vudu first started.
blatz8 and Oldways7 like this.

lujan
693 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #62348 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Hi, seeing minor lip-sync issues playing 24p (weirdly no issues at higher refresh rates). Turning on game low latency fixes it. I notice this option turns off motion processing and noise reduction, but does it turn anything else off? If I turn off game low latency and also manually turn off all motion processing (judder/blur and film mode) and also noise reduction, I still see the lip sync issue. So it makes me think that turning game low latency on must turn off some unseen processing.


Also, I see the 'computer' preset doesn't change backlight and color for HDR as it does in the 'calibrated' presets. Just wondered if someone could confirm that in the 'computer' preset, if I change backlight to 50 and color to 58 (and of course replicate all the other settings from the 'calibrated' preset), HDR would be the same as the 'calibrated' presets?

Last edited by iSeries; 09-03-2018 at 10:18 AM.
iSeries is offline  
post #62349 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I read random posting last night and I seem to get mixed information. Some people were saying it should play in 4k and works for them while others say it doesn't because this 2016 TV doesn't have vp9

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Our tvs support vp9 profile 1, not profile 2. Depending on which format the play movies are encoded in, that'll determine whether it plays the 4k or 1080p. If you use play movies, buy a Chromecast ultra.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Ken McPherson likes this.
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62350 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
leojj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have my P65-E1 fs on the fs thread part of the forum in case anyone is interested.

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
leojj25 is offline  
post #62351 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hi guys,
(Delete if not allowed)

I've kinda given up on the glitchy smartcast interface and am in need of advice from other p-series owners on choosing a streaming player:

Note: I'm in Canada so Vudu is out of the question

1) Apple TV (has Dolby vision support)
2) Nvidia Shield (has lossless audio support and game streaming from my pc)
3) Wait for new Shield that does it all *says in dreaming*

My main dilemma is an apple tv would be my only apple device (first also) and it would stand out from my full Google ecosystem. Its also much more of a closed system from my research.

The Nvidia Shield on the other hand would have great media streaming support from the likes of Plex, terrarium, etc. Game streaming is also a plus so I can couch game from my pc library. Only downside is no Dolby vision support (yet but probably never).

I have a stb (Telus PikTV) running Android OS 7.1.1 but it's Plex transcoding is terrible for anything over 1080p, and is constantly locked at 2160p 60hz output. Steam link is broken af on it also.

TDLR: I want a new streaming box: apple tv or Nvidia shield. Dolby vision is super nice, lossless audio is also nice, game streaming could be cool. House is very Google integrated.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62352 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
TDLR: I want a new streaming box: apple tv or Nvidia shield. Dolby vision is super nice, lossless audio is also nice, game streaming could be cool. House is very Google integrated.
Probably a better question for a different section, but I'll mention that I've had the 4K ATV, 2017 Shield TV, and Roku Ultra since I also don't like the "smartcast" apps in the TV.

After trying all those streamers I'm down to the ATV 4K and the others are sitting in boxes. For my local content I'm using the Infuse Pro app which has Dolby and DTS licenses so even though the ATV won't bitstream lossless, it can decode and output lossless PCM. (ATMOS is coming in tvOS 12 but only the DD+ streaming version and not the higher bitrate disc based version). The Plex client also works great on the ATV.

YMMV.
naustin likes this.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI
bluechunks is offline  
post #62353 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,436
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
Hi guys,
(Delete if not allowed)

I've kinda given up on the glitchy smartcast interface and am in need of advice from other p-series owners on choosing a streaming player:

Note: I'm in Canada so Vudu is out of the question

1) Apple TV (has Dolby vision support)
2) Nvidia Shield (has lossless audio support and game streaming from my pc)
3) Wait for new Shield that does it all *says in dreaming*

My main dilemma is an apple tv would be my only apple device (first also) and it would stand out from my full Google ecosystem. Its also much more of a closed system from my research.
I use a Roku and an AppleTV4K. While I use an iPhone & Google tablets, I avoided the ATV4K because I didn't want to get into the iTunes "ecosystem". That was an error on my part as I now love iTunes movies. 4K Dolby Vision movies are inexpensive esp if you buy or rent during daily sales. YMMV.
leojj25 likes this.
naustin is offline  
post #62354 of 64736 Old 09-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Probably a better question for a different section, but I'll mention that I've had the 4K ATV, 2017 Shield TV, and Roku Ultra since I also don't like the "smartcast" apps in the TV.

After trying all those streamers I'm down to the ATV 4K and the others are sitting in boxes. For my local content I'm using the Infuse Pro app which has Dolby and DTS licenses so even though the ATV won't bitstream lossless, it can decode and output lossless PCM. (ATMOS is coming in tvOS 12 but only the DD+ streaming version and not the higher bitrate disc based version). The Plex client also works great on the ATV.

YMMV.
I've been reading about infuse. How else is it better than the Plex app other than for supporting lossless audio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I use a Roku and an AppleTV4K. While I use an iPhone & Google tablets, I avoided the ATV4K because I didn't want to get into the iTunes "ecosystem". That was an error on my part as I now love iTunes movies. 4K Dolby Vision movies are inexpensive esp if you buy or rent during daily sales. YMMV.
That's for the replies. I went ahead with the atv4k since I saw some good movies for pretty cheap in DV.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62355 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,961
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post

Does it actually do anything when playing 24p over a 24hz connection or does it only activate when the display 'sees' 24p content over a 60hz connection?

Playing from a Blu-Ray player (24p at 24hz) I cannot see any difference in motion with film mode on vs off.


If your device has a 'Cinema/Film/24VF' output (like many Blu-Ray players), I'd use that feature and perhaps turn off Vizio's Film Mode, if it's not working right. If you see no difference, maybe you can leave Vizio's Film Mode On with devices that can output at 24VF.

Since I stream mostly from NetFlix and other Apps, someone else needs to jump in here about 24VF from a 60Hz device (that doesn't have a 24VF output option). I believe it's messed up also or can't or never did Film Mode with 60Hz devices?


- Pj
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #62356 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
I've been reading about infuse. How else is it better than the Plex app other than for supporting lossless audio?
Not better, just different.

Plex requires a Plex Server somewhere on your network to push the content to the Plex app. Meanwhile Infuse pulls the content directly off the network (a NAS box, for example.). Since the ATV can play almost any video codec natively even low powered units work as Plex servers. Thus, it becomes more of preference.

From a wife acceptance factor (WAF) standpoint, the 4K ATV is an awesome companion to the P65.

Just leave in in 4K DV @ 60Hz all the time and all the content looks great and the UI is very fluid. The ATV really has both high quality scaling and tone-mapping to DV dialed in. When I’m home and we want to really “watch” something I’ll switch the ATV to frame and color space matching.

Either way, it still looks great and really demonstrates what a value the P-series represents.
blatz8 likes this.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI

Last edited by bluechunks; 09-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.
bluechunks is offline  
post #62357 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Not better, just different.

Plex requires a Plex Server somewhere on your network to push the content to the Plex app.
I'm not sure this is correct. You don't actually need the server to reside on the same device as the stored media. Pretty sure you can map said network locations to the device(I know it can be done on Windows/OSX/Linux) running the server and point Plex to said locations. It can then pull media off of the network as well.
a61688 is offline  
post #62358 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
I'm not sure this is correct. You don't actually need the server to reside on the same device as the stored media. Pretty sure you can map said network locations to the device(I know it can be done on Windows/OSX/Linux) running the server and point Plex to said locations. It can then pull media off of the network as well.
Please re-read what I wrote.
Ken McPherson likes this.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI
bluechunks is offline  
post #62359 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Please re-read what I wrote.
I get what you probably intended but I wasn't 100% sure and the original could be considered misleading to some that read it as: plex can do this meanwhile, infuse can pull content from the network. Just wanted to make that clear.
a61688 is offline  
post #62360 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
I get what you probably intended but I wasn't 100% sure and the original could be considered misleading to some that read it as: plex can do this meanwhile, infuse can pull content from the network. Just wanted to make that clear.
I'm not sure how you could interpret "somewhere on your network" any other way.
bluechunks, stikle and smhealey like this.
Ken McPherson is offline  
post #62361 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
I'm not sure how you could interpret "somewhere on your network" any other way.
It could be read as the plex server being somewhere on the network versus getting media from the network with infuse. Someone with a limited understand of Plex could interpret that as the server being the host of the media files when in fact, that doesn't have to be true. As with all things, different people reading the same things can still come to different interpretations and I wanted to be sure that anyone reading got the best possible information.
a61688 is offline  
post #62362 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
It could be read as the plex server being somewhere on the network versus getting media from the network with infuse. Someone with a limited understand of Plex could interpret that as the server being the host of the media files when in fact, that doesn't have to be true. As with all things, different people reading the same things can still come to different interpretations and I wanted to be sure that anyone reading got the best possible information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
I'm not sure how you could interpret "somewhere on your network" any other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Not better, just different.

Plex requires a Plex Server somewhere on your network to push the content to the Plex app. Meanwhile Infuse pulls the content directly off the network (a NAS box, for example.). Since the ATV can play almost any video codec natively even low powered units work as Plex servers. Thus, it becomes more of preference.

From a wife acceptance factor (WAF) standpoint, the 4K ATV is an awesome companion to the P65.

Just leave in in 4K DV @ 60Hz all the time and all the content looks great and the UI is very fluid. The ATV really has both high quality scaling and tone-mapping to DV dialed in. When I’m home and we want to really “watch” something I’ll switch the ATV to frame and color space matching.

Either way, it still looks great and really demonstrates what a value the P-series represents.
Thankfully I have a fairly deep understanding of Plex as I've played around with it quite a bit.

I think I'm going to stick with Plex since I run the server on my gaming pc for my household and other p-series too.

Thanks for the input though, I learned a bit more about infuse

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
bluechunks likes this.
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62363 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Member
 
W2IRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All of a sudden my P65-C1 (2016) is not receiving 4k from Amazon. I finished Jack Ryan in DolbyVision+Atmos and it was quite good from a technical standpoint, but when I went back in to re-watch the final episode it was only in 1080p (but Dolby Vision was still enabled). No other Amazon titles had the 4k flag either. I was able to stream Netflix and Vudu in 4k/DV (with Atmos on Vudu), but not Amazon.

Any ideas what could have happened?
W2IRT is offline  
post #62364 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Dodge DeBoulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
All of a sudden my P65-C1 (2016) is not receiving 4k from Amazon. I finished Jack Ryan in DolbyVision+Atmos and it was quite good from a technical standpoint, but when I went back in to re-watch the final episode it was only in 1080p (but Dolby Vision was still enabled). No other Amazon titles had the 4k flag either. I was able to stream Netflix and Vudu in 4k/DV (with Atmos on Vudu), but not Amazon.

Any ideas what could have happened?
I had a problem playing anything reliably from my P75-C1's SmartCast choices tonight. Netflix HD would downshift to a pixelated mess and many of the thumbnails would not load, Hulu was kicking out errors, and the SmartCast menu would simply do the throbber spin. I gave up and switched over to my XBox1X and had zero issues.

I checked the 5GHz wifi in the media room and got 170Mb/s downstream from Xfinity's Boston servers on my phone, so if it's a bandwidth issue it's not on my end.
blatz8 likes this.
Dodge DeBoulet is offline  
post #62365 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
All of a sudden my P65-C1 (2016) is not receiving 4k from Amazon. I finished Jack Ryan in DolbyVision+Atmos and it was quite good from a technical standpoint, but when I went back in to re-watch the final episode it was only in 1080p (but Dolby Vision was still enabled). No other Amazon titles had the 4k flag either. I was able to stream Netflix and Vudu in 4k/DV (with Atmos on Vudu), but not Amazon.

Any ideas what could have happened?
Weird it's working fine for me (p55-c1).
Also I barely used prime video in the past so is this their first Dolby vision show?

Edit: I'm getting a weird double subtitle for the translations. Captions are off on settings so idk what's up

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited by brownknuckles; 09-04-2018 at 08:38 PM.
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62366 of 64736 Old 09-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Member
 
W2IRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
I had a problem playing anything reliably from my P75-C1's SmartCast choices tonight. Netflix HD would downshift to a pixelated mess and many of the thumbnails would not load, Hulu was kicking out errors, and the SmartCast menu would simply do the throbber spin. I gave up and switched over to my XBox1X and had zero issues.

I checked the 5GHz wifi in the media room and got 170Mb/s downstream from Xfinity's Boston servers on my phone, so if it's a bandwidth issue it's not on my end.
I've normally been running on hardwired Gigabit Ethernet. Tonight I watched Sully on Vudu, my first-ever purchase from them. Everything was fine for about 45 minutes then I started losing audio (3 second dropouts happening regularly), and then the whole thing lost contact. Only shutting off the TV and restarting it got things going, but the audio problems persisted. After the second time it lost contact I disconnected the wired connection (Verizon FiOS, 75 Mbps throughput measured) and went on to WiFi. Same issue.

Any time I've used casting for DolbyVision on the P65-C1 in combination with a Denon AVR-X3300W and 18 Gbps cables I've had the audio dropouts. I get better results on my 2016 Roku Ultra, but without Dolby Vision or Atmos sound, which quite frankly is the whole reason I spent as much as I did on home theater gear. I'm not sure if this is an AVR problem or a problem with the display.

At last try (2:15am), still no 4k content on Amazon.

I'm about to give up (again) on streaming with the P65. Anybody know what's the best streaming box on the market right now? Must do Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon, 4k, DolbyVision and Atmos. Price is not an object, but I don't want to revert to physical media unless there's no choice.
W2IRT is offline  
post #62367 of 64736 Old 09-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
pwishart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
All of a sudden my P65-C1 (2016) is not receiving 4k from Amazon. I finished Jack Ryan in DolbyVision+Atmos and it was quite good from a technical standpoint, but when I went back in to re-watch the final episode it was only in 1080p (but Dolby Vision was still enabled). No other Amazon titles had the 4k flag either. I was able to stream Netflix and Vudu in 4k/DV (with Atmos on Vudu), but not Amazon.

Any ideas what could have happened?
I am watching Jack Ryan Episode 8 again at this moment and it is in 4K Dolby Vision.


Your problem is most likely your internet provider, several of the US providers are very poor quality (Verizon, Comcast and Cox are 3 of the worst).
pwishart is offline  
post #62368 of 64736 Old 09-05-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,961
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post

I've normally been running on hardwired Gigabit Ethernet. Tonight I watched Sully on Vudu, my first-ever purchase from them. Everything was fine for about 45 minutes then I started losing audio (3 second dropouts happening regularly), and then the whole thing lost contact. Only shutting off the TV and restarting it got things going, but the audio problems persisted. After the second time it lost contact I disconnected the wired connection (Verizon FiOS, 75 Mbps throughput measured) and went on to WiFi. Same issue...


Have you run NameBench to see if your local DNS ranks at top or lower on the list? ISP speed isn't always enough. So I found.


- Pj
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #62369 of 64736 Old 09-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
I've normally been running on hardwired Gigabit Ethernet. Tonight I watched Sully on Vudu, my first-ever purchase from them. Everything was fine for about 45 minutes then I started losing audio (3 second dropouts happening regularly), and then the whole thing lost contact. Only shutting off the TV and restarting it got things going, but the audio problems persisted. After the second time it lost contact I disconnected the wired connection (Verizon FiOS, 75 Mbps throughput measured) and went on to WiFi. Same issue.

Any time I've used casting for DolbyVision on the P65-C1 in combination with a Denon AVR-X3300W and 18 Gbps cables I've had the audio dropouts. I get better results on my 2016 Roku Ultra, but without Dolby Vision or Atmos sound, which quite frankly is the whole reason I spent as much as I did on home theater gear. I'm not sure if this is an AVR problem or a problem with the display.

At last try (2:15am), still no 4k content on Amazon.

I'm about to give up (again) on streaming with the P65. Anybody know what's the best streaming box on the market right now? Must do Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon, 4k, DolbyVision and Atmos. Price is not an object, but I don't want to revert to physical media unless there's no choice.
Nvidia shield if you want lossless audio support (dtsX/Atmos).
Apple tv if you want Dolby vision, but only has lossy DD/DD+. Atmos coming in tvOS12 but still gonna be lossy.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
brownknuckles is offline  
post #62370 of 64736 Old 09-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Member
 
W2IRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Have you run NameBench to see if your local DNS ranks at top or lower on the list? ISP speed isn't always enough.
Never heard of NameBench. My router's external DNS settings are 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary.
W2IRT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off