Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2083 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #62461 of 64119 Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I’m getting Atmos through the built-in Amazon app all the way through to my receiver too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
My Onkyo RX710 AVR reports Atmos via ARC for Jack Ryan. This is using the Vizio "built-in" Amazon Prime Video app. Haven't tested casting with the tablet or other device.

I don't know.... I just tried it again and it's working now.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 09-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62462 of 64119 Old 09-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Well then..... Do you have a screenshot of the info screen of the AVR? Pioneer the Onkyo are basically the same so they should work similarly.
Not at the moment. I probably could though if I needed to prove the case in court.

Sounds like you've got it working now anyway without any photo documentation that it works for me.
shoman94 and blatz8 like this.
post #62463 of 64119 Old 09-16-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
Not at the moment. I probably could though if I needed to prove the case in court.

Sounds like you've got it working now anyway without any photo documentation that it works for me.
I just wanted to see how you're was showing so I could look into it. Don't get sensitive in me.

Anyways it's just working now.

Pennhaven likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62464 of 64119 Old 09-17-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Brunswick. About 40 minutes north of you
When were you looking to do this?... PM if you'd like.

post #62465 of 64119 Old 09-17-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Off topic but if anyone is looking for a Harmony Hub deal... Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Smartphone App and Simple All In One Remote - Black..... On Amazon

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by shoman94; 09-17-2018 at 07:00 PM.
post #62466 of 64119 Old 09-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
When were you looking to do this?... PM if you'd like.

LOL sorry, not any time in the next month or two. I've been traveling a lot for work and there's too much I need to get done around the house on the weekends.

Thanks, though. I'll ping you when life gets a little closer to normal
shoman94 likes this.
post #62467 of 64119 Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
LOL sorry, not any time in the next month or two. I've been traveling a lot for work and there's too much I need to get done around the house on the weekends.

Thanks, though. I'll ping you when life gets a little closer to normal
No problem, I'm just putting feelers out....

post #62468 of 64119 Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hi,

Just received my replacement P65-E1. Seems I've exchanged a TV with some clear jail bars for a set with worse overall DSE and black level uniformity (flicking off FALD, it's seriously awful).

With FALD on and watching regular content, everything looks tolerable so far, however.

I'm wondering though, is there much variation in the brightness setting on these? With the display I just sent back, brightness was perfect at 50. With the replacement, black level is clearly elevated at 50, with a slight brown/red tint. Turning down to 49 fixes this (and any setting 49 and below does not change the black level). The weird thing is, this is only on HDMI inputs - the built in casting is perfect with brightness at 50.

I don't imagine this is much of an issue, but just wondered, as between this and the calibration thread, it seems pretty much universal to keep brightness at 50.
post #62469 of 64119 Old 09-18-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post

...With the display I just sent back, brightness was perfect at 50. With the replacement, black level is clearly elevated at 50, with a slight brown/red tint. Turning down to 49 fixes this (and any setting 49 and below does not change the black level). The weird thing is, this is only on HDMI inputs - the built in casting is perfect with brightness at 50... ...it seems pretty much universal to keep brightness at 50.

It's universal to keep the Contrast at 50. With Brightness, I knock it down as needed for added contrast before I make a Gamma switch. I normally keep Gamma at 2.2. During a rainy/foggy Ohio State football game, I set the Brightness down in the 30-to-40 range for that game. Additionally, if needed, I'll set Gamma to 2.4.

Sometimes, certain NetFlix content will be too milky/foggy/washed-out for my liking, so I lower Brightness. For my P50-C1, I get some additional, bigger steps to a Blacker Level from 49-to-45. From 45 downward, the steps are finer, hence at times, I need to go to a rare setting as low as 40 or 30.

Picture quality can vary among devices, so the color, brightness, contrast can be quite different from NetFlix streaming. This is why I have Custom Picture Modes for my devices and for NetFlix to make quick selections for the source I'm using. Example: My Channel Master Tuner needs more contrast.

- Pj
post #62470 of 64119 Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
It's universal to keep the Contrast at 50. With Brightness, I knock it down as needed for added contrast before I make a Gamma switch. I normally keep Gamma at 2.2. During a rainy/foggy Ohio State football game, I set the Brightness down in the 30-to-40 range for that game. Additionally, if needed, I'll set Gamma to 2.4.

Sometimes, certain NetFlix content will be too milky/foggy/washed-out for my liking, so I lower Brightness. For my P50-C1, I get some additional, bigger steps to a Blacker Level from 49-to-45. From 45 downward, the steps are finer, hence at times, I need to go to a rare setting as low as 40 or 30.

Picture quality can vary among devices, so the color, brightness, contrast can be quite different from NetFlix streaming. This is why I have Custom Picture Modes for my devices and for NetFlix to make quick selections for the source I'm using. Example: My Channel Master Tuner needs more contrast.

- Pj

I retested the built in apps and both netflix and amazon show elevated black level with brightness at 50. Need to knock it down to 49. Unfortunately that seems a bit too coarse, really i need 49.5 lol (gamma 2.2). With the previous set, 50 was spot on.

I think it's something to do with the picture presets. If i switch to the computer preset, 50 is black. Switch back to calibrated dark, and black is elevated at 50.

Brightness down to 30, surely that would cause massive black crush?

On another note, watching jack ryan on built in amazon app (DV), near black dark areas have a strong blue colour. I saw this with the previous set too. Anyone else see that?
post #62471 of 64119 Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 AM

So here's a pic of the black uniformity. FALD is off for the shot, however, the splotches are still there when on (much darker of course). What is normal for these? I don't remember noticing it on the unit I had replaced with this one, but on this I noticed it right away (and the elevated black level at brightness 50).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180919_083403.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2456980  

Last edited by iSeries; 09-19-2018 at 04:05 AM.
post #62472 of 64119 Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have a P65-C1. Recently the display began to flicker while using my Xbox One S set to output at 4K. The problem only occurred if the Xbox was set to 4K. If I changed it to 1080P the flicker cleared up. Normally the Xbox runs through my AV receiver (Marantz SR6012), but for troubleshooting I hooked it up directly to the TV using three different HDMI inputs and three different HDMI cables. I made sure at least two of them were marked as premium. All HDMI cables are from Monoprice. Anyway the flicker persisted on every input and with every cable, only with the Xbox set to 4K. I ended up exchanging the Xbox for a refurbished unit and everything seemed good for a couple of days and then the flicker began again. I tried all the same troubleshooting steps as before with no luck. I did a factory reset on the TV this time and that seemed to help for an evening, but the next day the flickering returned. I took the Xbox to work and hooked it up to a brand new Samsung 4K TV and made sure it was set to output at 4K with UHD color turned on and there is no flicker on this TV. This leads me to believe the problem is with the TV itself. Unfortunately I don't have another external 4K source to test it with. There is no flickering if I stream through any of the TV's apps at 4K. Could this indicate that my TV has some sort of problem with the HDMI board?

ETA: I have a video of the flickering on my phone. I'll see if I can upload it to YouTube or something so I can share the link here.

Update: I uploaded the video to YouTube.

Steve

Last edited by fireman325; 09-20-2018 at 07:15 AM.
post #62473 of 64119 Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post

I retested the built in apps and both Netflix and amazon show elevated black level with brightness at 50. Need to knock it down to 49. Unfortunately that seems a bit too coarse, really I need 49.5 LoL (gamma 2.2). With the previous set, 50 was spot on.

I think it's something to do with the picture presets. If I switch to the computer preset, 50 is black. Switch back to calibrated dark, and black is elevated at 50.

On another note, watching Jack Ryan on built in amazon app (DV), near black dark areas have a strong blue colour. I saw this with the previous set too. Anyone else see that?

So here's a pic of the black uniformity. FALD is off for the shot, however, the splotches are still there when on (much darker of course). What is normal for these? I don't remember noticing it on the unit I had replaced with this one, but on this I noticed it right away (and the elevated black level at brightness 50).

Have you used the built-in Vizio Test Patterns? Try the 'White' Ramp. See if the darker bars have that 'blue' in them. To check the last bar, being black, turn-up the Brightness to see if that dark bar is gray or does it have 'blue' in it?

Look up gray test pattern on YouTube and a Black Test Screen. Your screen should be jet black with Calibrated or Calibrated Dark. If you still see some splotchy light areas, then there's something wrong. Bring Brightness down to 49. Did the screen go black or is there still lit areas? If 49 works, then you could try Gamma 2.1 or 2.0.

Quote:

Brightness down to 30, surely that would cause massive black crush?

Yes it would with most content. Not with certain content that's 'foggy' or 'milky' looking, like the OSU game I mentioned. The point I'm making about the Brightness control is that it can be used to add contrast by going below the 50 setting - when needed - especially when Gamma 2.4 is not enough.

- Pj
post #62474 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Have you used the built-in Vizio Test Patterns? Try the 'White' Ramp. See if the darker bars have that 'blue' in them. To check the last bar, being black, turn-up the Brightness to see if that dark bar is gray or does it have 'blue' in it?

Look up gray test pattern on YouTube and a Black Test Screen. Your screen should be jet black with Calibrated or Calibrated Dark. If you still see some splotchy light areas, then there's something wrong. Bring Brightness down to 49. Did the screen go black or is there still lit areas? If 49 works, then you could try Gamma 2.1 or 2.0. - Pj
Hi, yep tested patterns from PC, bluray player, and with built in apps, black is not black at brightness 50. I've taken a video of the issue and sent to Vizio. At 49 it's black (well as black as it will get), and at 50 a full black screen is visibly brighter.

If it does something it's not supposed to at its default settings, I do consider it defective. Between this and the very very poor black uniformity (many blue misty clouds), I am pushing to have this replaced.

Shame. The first set was perfect apart from the two huge vertical bars that were visible too much of the time. I'll roll the dice once more and if it doesn't work out, I'll return for refund and get something else.

UPDATE: the display is now intermittently flickering along the very bottom. Vizio scheduling second replacement.

Last edited by iSeries; 09-20-2018 at 07:06 AM.
post #62475 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post
I have a P65-C1. Recently the display began to flicker while using my Xbox One S set to output at 4K. The problem only occurred if the Xbox was set to 4K. If I changed it to 1080P the flicker cleared up. Normally the Xbox runs through my AV receiver (Marantz SR6012), but for troubleshooting I hooked it up directly to the TV using three different HDMI inputs and three different HDMI cables. I made sure at least two of them were marked as premium. All HDMI cables are from Monoprice. Anyway the flicker persisted on every input and with every cable, only with the Xbox set to 4K. I ended up exchanging the Xbox for a refurbished unit and everything seemed good for a couple of days and then the flicker began again. I tried all the same troubleshooting steps as before with no luck. I did a factory reset on the TV this time and that seemed to help for an evening, but the next day the flickering returned. I took the Xbox to work and hooked it up to a brand new Samsung 4K TV and made sure it was set to output at 4K with UHD color turned on and there is no flicker on this TV. This leads me to believe the problem is with the TV itself. Unfortunately I don't have another external 4K source to test it with. There is no flickering if I stream through any of the TV's apps at 4K. Could this indicate that my TV has some sort of problem with the HDMI board?

ETA: I have a video of the flickering on my phone. I'll see if I can upload it to YouTube or something so I can share the link here.

Update: I uploaded the video to YouTube. https://youtu.be/UOih61vPBIk
Update: I tested it out on another 4K Samsung TV this morning. No flickering. That's a total of three displays I've tested it on. The only one with an issue is my Vizio.

Steve

post #62476 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Update: I tested it out on another 4K Samsung TV this morning. No flickering. That's a total of three displays I've tested it on. The only one with an issue is my Vizio.
I have the same issue occasionally with my P65-C1 when using my PS4 Pro. Usually a soft reset via the Vizio Menu fixes it for me. Have you tried that?
fireman325 likes this.
post #62477 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
I have the same issue occasionally with my P65-C1 when using my PS4 Pro. Usually a soft reset via the Vizio Menu fixes it for me. Have you tried that?
I did a full factory reset on it and it fixed it for the evening, but the following day it resumed with the flickering. I haven't tried the soft reset.

Steve

post #62478 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I did a full factory reset on it and it fixed it for the evening, but the following day it resumed with the flickering. I haven't tried the soft reset.
I had the same issue myself with shield ps4 etc.... only with 4k did a soft reset fixed it it comes back ever so often so far it's been 2 resets.
post #62479 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
I had the same issue myself with shield ps4 etc.... only with 4k did a soft reset fixed it it comes back ever so often so far it's been 2 resets.
Thanks. I'll try the soft reset tomorrow when I get home and see what happens.

Steve

post #62480 of 64119 Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

New person here in the forums.

I just purchased a 2017 Vizio P55-E1 today. It's on firmware 3.3.18.1 and I did not hook it up on wifi or Ethernet due to current firmwares breaking certain things. My question is, should I update to the latest 4.x.x.x.? I know there's no going back once I do.

I will be using this panel with an Apple 4K, ps4 pro, an Lg sound bar, and a frame Meister (for my older consoles).

Also. Does anyone have any calibrations settings for this firmware and this panel? I've searched but came up with nothing. Thanks everyone!
post #62481 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Update: I tested it out on another 4K Samsung TV this morning. No flickering. That's a total of three displays I've tested it on. The only one with an issue is my Vizio.[/QUOTE]

I have the Xbox One X and a receiver too it happens when i play in hdmi 5 and then switch to hdmi 1. I just soft reset the tv and problem solved
fireman325 likes this.
post #62482 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretagentman007 View Post
Hi everyone,

New person here in the forums.

I just purchased a 2017 Vizio P55-E1 today. It's on firmware 3.3.18.1 and I did not hook it up on wifi or Ethernet due to current firmwares breaking certain things. My question is, should I update to the latest 4.x.x.x.? I know there's no going back once I do.

I will be using this panel with an Apple 4K, ps4 pro, an Lg sound bar, and a frame Meister (for my older consoles).

Also. Does anyone have any calibrations settings for this firmware and this panel? I've searched but came up with nothing. Thanks everyone!
If you are going to game fsp shotter with ps4 pro I don't recommend you to do the update because now you have 42ms of input lag with 4k hdr which is high but playable but if you do the update the input lag will be over 50 ms which is unplayable in fps. You can play in hdmi 5 is only 15 ms excellent but you can't play in that port in HDR and the reason I bougth the tv Is to play 4k hdr with my Xbox One X and Plastation 4. Is so bad the input lag that I just purchased Vizio Quantum which have good input lag. My advice if you are going to play in this tv don't update it or purchase another tv the new Vizio P or Quantum have good input lag with 4k hdr 27 ms.
post #62483 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretagentman007 View Post

See this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...on-thread.html

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #62484 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the same flickering if the lower half of the screen when using an HDMI input. Toggling full UHD doesn't help. Swapped cable still the same.
Soft reboot always fixes it.

fireman325 likes this.

post #62485 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg2006 View Post
If you are going to game fsp shotter with ps4 pro I don't recommend you to do the update because now you have 42ms of input lag with 4k hdr which is high but playable but if you do the update the input lag will be over 50 ms which is unplayable in fps. You can play in hdmi 5 is only 15 ms excellent but you can't play in that port in HDR and the reason I bougth the tv Is to play 4k hdr with my Xbox One X and Plastation 4. Is so bad the input lag that I just purchased Vizio Quantum which have good input lag. My advice if you are going to play in this tv don't update it or purchase another tv the new Vizio P or Quantum have good input lag with 4k hdr 27 ms.
Thanks so much! I will deff not update then because I do play fps and some fighters. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
post #62486 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 03:46 AM

[quote=lujan;56841980]See this thread:

Thank you Lujan I will check this out! : )
post #62487 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg2006 View Post
I have a p65-c1 from 2016 and am fully updated. I play shooters just fine on my PS4 pro.
BIGJOHNB20 likes this.
post #62488 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey all. Hope this is the right place for this, if not please direct me!

So basically my question is about Atmos passthrough over HDMI ARC on the 2017 P series.

I just picked up the new Vizio Atmos soundbar (5.1.2) and set it up, but am having some weird issues.

Long story short, I'm trying to get a lean Dolby Vision/Atmos setup running.

If I connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI Arc, it detects itself and sets up, but the audio output is hit or miss. The Xbox One X works normally BUT you cannot switch to Atmos. When you do you get an error message. What is weird though is that when you first select it, the green light on the soundbar (that indicates Atmos) flashes for a second before going back to blue and prompting the Xbox error.

What is stranger is when I try to play a movie with Atmos through Vudu directly on the TV (using the built in "app" which is basically Chromecast) the sound just... doesn't work. It initially pops up Atmos in the top, but then switches toe just Dolby, and the sound itself cuts in out and every few seconds, but is mostly silent.

At this point I was thinking oh maybe the soundbar is defective.

But when I hook either the Xbox One X or the Chromecast Ultra up to the soundbar, in the HDMI IN port, and the connect the TV to the soundbar using the soundbar's HDMI out port, the Atmos audio works and the HDR10 or Dolby Vision passes through to the TV. So using this setup, I am able to watch or play content with both HDR and Atmos - but only from ONE source at a time.

This also seemed to indicate that the HDMI ports on the soundbar are working, all the speakers are working, the HDMI cables are working, etc. The issue seems to be with the Atmos being passed through the P series and out of the ARC port.

So, the first obvious question is this: does the 2017 P series support Atmos out from the ARC port? Just based on the forum posts I saw when seeing if someone else had asked this, it seems like it does? But maybe I am mistaken?

If it does, has anyone had any similar experiences that might indicate that the TV (maybe the ARC out) is defective? Or is it more likely to be a setting? Or something that may need to be updated by Vizio?

Thanks for the help and again, if this is in the wrong place just let me know where it should go.
post #62489 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hitchcock View Post
Hey all. Hope this is the right place for this, if not please direct me!

So basically my question is about Atmos passthrough over HDMI ARC on the 2017 P series.

I just picked up the new Vizio Atmos soundbar (5.1.2) and set it up, but am having some weird issues.

Long story short, I'm trying to get a lean Dolby Vision/Atmos setup running....
Maybe try changing the Audio setting on the P series from Auto to bitstream.
a61688 likes this.
post #62490 of 64119 Old 09-21-2018, 10:23 AM

I have a p65-c1 from 2016 and am fully updated. I play shooters just fine on my PS4 pro.[/QUOTE]

If you are a casual player, you will probably not feel the difference but I play a lot and I can tell the difference between hdmi 5 and hdmi 1 when you play over 50 ms it is quite noticible but if you play RPG etc. really this TV is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page