Originally Posted by brownknuckles
From my understanding Atmos will only work over arc if:
1) The tv has built in Dolby Atmos decoding and outputs DD+ with Atmos metadata (converting from lossless source to lossy DD+)
2) The Source Format is DD+ with Atmos metadata and the soundbar/receiver can handshake + decode with metadata.
In most cases you need to connect the Atmos source directly to the soundbar via HDMI.
This is why I'm holding off from buying Atmos soundbars until HDMI 2.1 and eARC go mainstream.
Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I was able to spend some more time with this over the weekend, and confirmed the following:
- Under no circumstance was I able to get Atmos to work "from" the TV, lossy or otherwise. After reset of TV and soundbar, different cables and sources, under no circumstances will it output Atmos from the ARC port. It looks like it tries (the green light pops on for a second, sometimes there is stuttery sound, then it is silent again.)
- If I change the settings on the TV to PCM, audio works over ARC but no Atmos. This makes me thing the ARC port isn't defective, which I initially considered.
- As mentioned before, the Chromecast Ultra and Xbox One X, connected to the HDMI In in the soundbar, then from HDMI OUT ARC on soundbar to back of TV will output HDR (including DV for Chromecast) and Atmos to the speaker. But as their is only one port, they can't both be hooked up. I watched Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom through the Chromecast and it looked and sounded incredible, with the display indicating DV was active and the SmartCast app indicating the soundbar was running Atmos. The fact this worked without incident makes me feel like there is nothing "wrong" with the soundbar.
My guess would be that there is some sort of... software issue (if that is right way to say it) with the HDMI ARC on the TV passing through Atmos to the soundbar, maybe just to this soundbar since others indicated it worked for them.
The big question for me now is if anyone with this soundbar has it working
since that would indicate that there is something wrong my setup.