Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2088 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288466Likes

post #62611 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM707 View Post
Have they said anything else about Dolby vision on Xbox one?
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/11/...ision-features

"Xbox One October update available today with new avatars, Dolby Vision, and Alexa support"

"Microsoft is also adding Dolby Vision to the Xbox One today. It’s limited to the Netflix app for now, but Microsoft promises more Dolby Vision apps will be supported in the coming months. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62612 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM725 View Post
Thanks for the advice. All of the cables I bought that were Monoprice checked out. I bought 4 3 foot cables and 2 10 foot tables and they all scanned successfully.
The 3 foot HDMI cables can cause all sorts of problems, HDMI 2.0 circuitry is equalized for a 6 foot cable, cables less then 6 feet can cause handshake and loss of signal problems.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #62613 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/11/...ision-features

"Xbox One October update available today with new avatars, Dolby Vision, and Alexa support"

"Microsoft is also adding Dolby Vision to the Xbox One today. It’s limited to the Netflix app for now, but Microsoft promises more Dolby Vision apps will be supported in the coming months. "
I think the "they" GCM707 was referring to is Vizio. To which the answer is a sad "no."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62614 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
I think the "they" GCM707 was referring to is Vizio. To which the answer is a sad "no."
It was my understanding that DV was in limited testing (now publicly rolling out) on the Xbox one + Netflix and that's on them to get it working first and then Vizio after its release of somehow there are compatibility issues.
post #62615 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
It was my understanding that DV was in limited testing (now publicly rolling out) on the Xbox one + Netflix and that's on them to get it working first and then Vizio after its release of somehow there are compatibility issues.
Microsoft and Dolby created a new low latency profile for Dolby Vision. In order for it to work on TVs, they would first need to update to the new profile via firmware updates. So for the time being Dolby Vision from Xbox will not work on any Vizio TV.
a61688 likes this.
post #62616 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Microsoft and Dolby created a new low latency profile for Dolby Vision. In order for it to work on TVs, they would first need to update to the new profile via firmware updates. Vizio has yet to do so, so for the time being Dolby Vision from Xbox will not work on any Vizio TV.
Interesting. And that's going to be just for that console or is it a new and improved way to use DV that other companies will use? They need to standardize these things so TV companies can catch up........
post #62617 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. And that's going to be just for that console or is it a new and improved way to use DV that other companies will use? They need to standardize these things so TV companies can catch up........
The rumors are that the announced "low latency" part of the profile means we could see an implementation of Dolby Vision HDR for gaming.
a61688 likes this.
post #62618 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The rumors are that the announced "low latency" part of the profile means we could see an implementation of Dolby Vision HDR for gaming.
Scanning every frame is going to be a bitch to compensate for. DV all the way if they can get it working though. I (hopelessly) hope that Sony can/will do the same.
post #62619 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 2443
Quote:
Microsoft and Dolby created a new low latency profile for Dolby Vision. In order for it to work on TVs, they would first need to update to the new profile via firmware updates. So for the time being Dolby Vision from Xbox will not work on any Vizio TV.
Does this also have to do with some 4k Vudu titles where they don't offer Dolby Vision anymore where they used to work before? For instance, I tried to watch Baywatch 4k on Vudu the other day and couldn't get Dolby Vision (HDR) on the Smartcast app, the Apple TV 4K or the Nvidia Shield. However, I finally got Dolby Vision working when using the Chromecast Ultra on this title.

lujan
513 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #62620 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Does this also have to do with some 4k Vudu titles where they don't offer Dolby Vision anymore where they used to work before? For instance, I tried to watch Baywatch 4k on Vudu the other day and couldn't get Dolby Vision (HDR) on the Smartcast app, the Apple TV 4K or the Nvidia Shield. However, I finally got Dolby Vision working when using the Chromecast Ultra on this title.
There have been many revisions to the profile since Dolby Vision debuted. The profile update that caused the Vudu and other streaming service debacle is older than the revision created between Microsoft and Dolby. We can only hope there won't be the same issue, but this is still being developed, so these kinds of things come with the territory.
a61688 likes this.
post #62621 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
How can they add DV to the Xbox?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #62622 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I kinda figured out how to fix some of the CEC issues.
1) Connect the shield to HDMI 1 and let it handshake with the tv by pressing the home button (or equivalent) on the shield remote.

2) Connect it back to the original HDMI port and have it handshake

3) Scan for CEC devices in Vizio settings

4) Turn off the shield, turn off the tv, then turn on the shield and see if it turns on the tv as well.

You may have to do this a few times and reboot some of the devices to get it to handshake properly. I got CEC control working for my PS4 working again like this. Still working on getting CEC control for my Nintendo Switch after turning off the tv tho.

Goodluck

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #62623 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
How can they add DV to the Xbox?
I have no clue.
post #62624 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I asked VizioService about this. And was sent this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch.../#779380174539
leojj25 likes this.
post #62625 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 98
@rightintel

The Xbox one will use software Dolby vision where the media will be rendered and processed in the console before sending it to the display. This is similar to how Sony added Dolby vision to their tvs running the X1E chip. Dolby noted that devices with "capable" processing chips can be DV compatible without having a dedicated DV processing chip fr Dolby. This was also confirmed by a Sony rep who explained how Sony handles DV vs LG/Vizio/etc. That's why hardware manufacturers had to issue a firmware update for their devices to work with Sony TVs.

Basically we gotta cross our fingers and hope the chips that Vizio got from Dolby will be able to process the low latency DV implemented by XB1. However Vizio P 2016s do work with PC Dolby vision (tested with Battlefield 1 on a GTX 970) so there is hope.

rightintel, a61688 and leojj25 like this.
post #62626 of 63934 Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamHandMan View Post

I was watching a movie on Netflix and it felt like some frame smoothing or something was going on. (soap opera effect) I thought the TV didn't have a feature like that, I tried playing with the clear action setting, but no difference.

This is Netflix using the built in app on a 2016 p50 watching "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". I also noticed the black levels of that movie are a little strange.

This "Potato Peel" movie is in 4K (2160p). If you're not use to watching 4K movies in 24VF, in can look 'smoother' with the motion than movies in Standard Def (480). Check your Noise settings. Have both of them OFF. Best to watch most HD content with Sharpness at 0. Sometimes I use 11.

Otherwise, due to intermittent motion problems with these Vizios, I leave Film Mode Off. Check the Reduce Judder setting. I have it at 0. If yours was set to 3 or especially higher, you'll see the SOAP/smoothing effect.

Best contrast with these Vizio VA panels is eye-level straight-on viewing. If the Display is below eye-level and/or your viewing is off-axis (left or right angle viewing), this reduces contrast and changes the color.

Do you have Calibrated Dark Picture Mode selected? (For night viewing.)

This movie does look a little foggy, so you can make one or the other or a combo adjustment to increase Contrast with two setting modes:

I like to first reduce the Brightness setting away from 50. 43-to-40 for this movie. Or, you can start by changing the Gamma from 2.2 to 2.4 for more contrast. If 2.4 is not enough, reduce the Brightness setting from 50. Contrast should always be left at 50 unless meter-calibrated.

- Pj (2016 Pea-Fiddy-See-One)
leojj25 likes this.
post #62627 of 63934 Old 10-12-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

So what TVs out there support this new profile? It seems if this is just created, and given the speed at which TVs are updated, I am surprised any TV can support this.
post #62628 of 63934 Old 10-12-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
@rightintel

The Xbox one will use software Dolby vision where the media will be rendered and processed in the console before sending it to the display. This is similar to how Sony added Dolby vision to their tvs running the X1E chip. Dolby noted that devices with "capable" processing chips can be DV compatible without having a dedicated DV processing chip fr Dolby. This was also confirmed by a Sony rep who explained how Sony handles DV vs LG/Vizio/etc. That's why hardware manufacturers had to issue a firmware update for their devices to work with Sony TVs.

Basically we gotta cross our fingers and hope the chips that Vizio got from Dolby will be able to process the low latency DV implemented by XB1. However Vizio P 2016s do work with PC Dolby vision (tested with Battlefield 1 on a GTX 970) so there is hope.

I don't think it's as complex as all that.

1. First, Sony flexed its muscles and got Dolby to agree to a Dolby Vision "lite" since its new whoopdee do processing boxes for their new displays were incapable of implementing the full Dolby Vizion specification
  2. The fact the Sony was coming out with displays that used this crippled version of DV put pressure on the player / streamer community to take on a chunk of the processing that all of the other displays did (including Vizio) because of Sony's market share even though they already supported the full DV spec. Oppo and a couple of others did this in Firmware, no hardware changes.
  3. Now the same trick has been reversed by Microsoft, they apparently want to do part of the processing of the DV signal. This leaves the displays that process the full signal in the dark, since they expect the full protocol.
  4. They need to be modified to accept partially processed signals, not the full spec.
  5. No idea what that would take, but I don't think it's hardware limited, since the chips already implement the full spec. You need to find an entry point for the partially digested stream.

I wouldn't think that having already designed a DV "Light" Dolby would design yet another version of the same thing. They added a huge effort to player / stream companies to accommodate Sony's displays, they seem to be doing the same to display companies to accommodate the XBox.

Money talks, and the other manufacturers are handed a fait accompli. Not fair, but there you have it.
post #62629 of 63934 Old 10-12-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
So what TVs out there support this new profile? It seems if this is just created, and given the speed at which TVs are updated, I am surprised any TV can support this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GG9AeuGRHwrhaM
post #62630 of 63934 Old 10-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM725 View Post
Ok so I ordered a few of these Premium Certified High Speed Cables

Do you believe this could solve my issues? Should I being changing my CEC settings as well?

Did you get your cables? Im thinking of ordering some just want to make sure they are legit premium certified and not fakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #62631 of 63934 Old 10-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 103
CEC and ARC seem to come up regularly as issues in this thread. I've just started using both with a new receiver and am wondering when/if problems will start to appear ...

I just replaced my Onkyo TX-SR606 with a TX-NR787. I wanted something that would support ATMOS and simplify the connections to my P75-C1. I previously fed the optical out from the display to the TX-SR606, but decided to try ARC with the new one.

So far, so good. CEC seems to be working fine, I'm not getting any audio glitches, but then again I'm not sure I'm exercising the receiver/TV the way some of the other folks on this thread do. I'm currently configured for a 3.1 speaker setup since I still need to run wire for the rear surrounds and height speakers (I'm going to have a 5.1.4 configuration). So no ATMOS or DTS:X yet.

Content sources are the TV itself for Netflix and Amazon Prime, XBox1X for Blu-Ray/gaming, and a TiVo Bolt+ for live TV/time-shifting. I haven't seen any issues with the XBox1X for the HDR games I've played in 4K, but they're HDR10, not DV. The TiVo upscales everything to 4K, but the source content so far is 2K or lower. The only issue I've seen with the TiVo is with Netflix, where the display would periodically go black momentarily. Netflix has always been sub-optimal through the TiVo, though, so we just don't use it and I can't say for certain that the behavior was introduced with the new receiver.

The HDMI cables are all recently purchased "Amazon Basics High Speed (Latest Standard)" 6 footers.

Is there a storm a' brewin' here, or am I just having better luck than other folks?
post #62632 of 63934 Old 10-13-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
CEC and ARC seem to come up regularly as issues in this thread. I've just started using both with a new receiver and am wondering when/if problems will start to appear ...

The HDMI cables are all recently purchased "Amazon Basics High Speed (Latest Standard)" 6 footers.

Is there a storm a' brewin' here, or am I just having better luck than other folks?
The real issue is CEC which manufacturers implement as they see fit. Plain ARC is defined by standards so that part should always work fine. The problem is most people like one remote for on/off and volume control so they enable CEC. Amazon Basics (latest standard) aren't premium certified like the equally inexpensive Monoprice cables but should work fine. I use both brands without issue.
Dodge DeBoulet and leojj25 like this.
post #62633 of 63934 Old 10-14-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 70
My 2016 P series 50 inch has developed a horizontal purple line(looks to be a number of pixels wide) at the very most top of the screen. On many TVs, you can move or change slightly the scanning or expand the picture to compensate. I do not see how to do this on the Vizio.
post #62634 of 63934 Old 10-14-2018, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
My 2016 P series 50 inch has developed a horizontal purple line(looks to be a number of pixels wide) at the very most top of the screen. On many TVs, you can move or change slightly the scanning or expand the picture to compensate. I do not see how to do this on the Vizio.
If it's an LCD defect or failure, changing what's referred to as "overscan" won't make a difference. The P-series TVs don't have a global overscan setting anyway.

The individual inputs (HDMI-1/2/3 etc.) have picture size/position adjustments, but I'm skeptical that those will do what you want.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; 10-14-2018 at 07:35 AM.
post #62635 of 63934 Old 10-14-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
That is usually a HDCP 2.2 synch issue or loose cable. Try changing inputs and doing a system power down.
reallynotnick likes this.
post #62636 of 63934 Old 10-15-2018, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

Looking for some help/guidance here. I've had a Vizio P-55 C1 since October 2016 and just a few weeks ago my XRT-135 remote stopped working. I've done everything to troubleshoot it (changing batteries, resetting the TV to factory defaults, checking the IR output with a phone camera) and even ordering a new XRT-136 remote and still the same issue. I'm suspecting the IR sensor on the TV for some reason has gone faulty or stopped working

What are my choices here? Any quick fixes? Is this an easy/cheap fix? Can I order a new IR sensor and have someone come replace it for me? I really don't need to buy a new TV just now as I really see no need for that.

For now I'm using the TV with the mobile app. which is kind of annoying.

Thanks.
post #62637 of 63934 Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooda View Post
Hi all,

Looking for some help/guidance here. I've had a Vizio P-55 C1 since October 2016 and just a few weeks ago my XRT-135 remote stopped working. I've done everything to troubleshoot it (changing batteries, resetting the TV to factory defaults, checking the IR output with a phone camera) and even ordering a new XRT-136 remote and still the same issue. I'm suspecting the IR sensor on the TV for some reason has gone faulty or stopped working

What are my choices here? Any quick fixes? Is this an easy/cheap fix? Can I order a new IR sensor and have someone come replace it for me? I really don't need to buy a new TV just now as I really see no need for that.

For now I'm using the TV with the mobile app. which is kind of annoying.

Thanks.
I'd say your choices are finding an ir sensor, and/ or the motherboard.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #62638 of 63934 Old 10-15-2018, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I'd say your choices are finding an ir sensor, and/ or the motherboard.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help, do you happen to know the model of the IR sensor or the motherboard?
post #62639 of 63934 Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Sorry I don't know off hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #62640 of 63934 Old 10-16-2018, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
This "Potato Peel" movie is in 4K (2160p). If you're not use to watching 4K movies in 24VF, in can look 'smoother' with the motion than movies in Standard Def (480). Check your Noise settings. Have both of them OFF. Best to watch most HD content with Sharpness at 0. Sometimes I use 11.

Otherwise, due to intermittent motion problems with these Vizios, I leave Film Mode Off. Check the Reduce Judder setting. I have it at 0. If yours was set to 3 or especially higher, you'll see the SOAP/smoothing effect.

Best contrast with these Vizio VA panels is eye-level straight-on viewing. If the Display is below eye-level and/or your viewing is off-axis (left or right angle viewing), this reduces contrast and changes the color.

Do you have Calibrated Dark Picture Mode selected? (For night viewing.)

This movie does look a little foggy, so you can make one or the other or a combo adjustment to increase Contrast with two setting modes:

I like to first reduce the Brightness setting away from 50. 43-to-40 for this movie. Or, you can start by changing the Gamma from 2.2 to 2.4 for more contrast. If 2.4 is not enough, reduce the Brightness setting from 50. Contrast should always be left at 50 unless meter-calibrated.

- Pj (2016 Pea-Fiddy-See-One)
Sorry for the late reply. I've been using the TV in Game Low Latency mode. this disables film mode and jutter settings. I did try a toggle of game mode on/off and played with the settings mentioned, but didn't see a difference.

The gama setting for my TV is adjust correctly, there's just something odd about this movie with the black levels. Maybe it was done on purpose... not sure... I typically have Clear Action on, black light strobing, to get a gama between 2.2 and 2.4. I find 2.4 is far to dark on my panel.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Let me try a DV marvel show to see if it's localized to this movie. I'm not sure what else to check out, but it basically makes the movie unwatchable for me. -- SIDE NOTE -- when I watch the movie using my roku Ultra, I do not have this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page