Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2093 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288720Likes

post #62761 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Is there a list of changes in the recent firmware updates? I haven't updated since the early spring and I wanted to see if there was anything worth updating for.
Thanks!

Theater: 2x JTR 215 RT's, 1x 215 RM, 10x JTR S8's, 2x UXL-18 GSG Full Martys, Onkyo NR3002, D-Sonic 7 Channel, 3x Inuke 6000DSPs, Oppo-203, HTPC, Roku Ultra, Harmony Elite, JVC NX-7
Second System: Philharmonitors AA, UXL-18 Mini-Marty, Denon X1300, Sony X700 UHD Player, Harmony, Vizio P65-E (This setup to be upgraded this year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62762 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Is there a list of changes in the recent firmware updates? I haven't updated since the early spring and I wanted to see if there was anything worth updating for.
Thanks!
No recent firmware updates, there have been updates to smartcast however.

http://blog.vizio.com/post/179...es-...tcast-home-the

The ability to reorder apps is finally here.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
leojj25 likes this.
post #62763 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
It'll still play those titles, your server will just have to transcode the audio into ac3 or eac3 format. Also most movies with an Atmos or ma track will generally have an AC3 track to accompany it.

Our tv's don't have TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS ma processing, and only eARC will be able to pass-through those formats. It can pass through DD+ Atmos when a compatible receiver or soundbar is connected though.

Thanks, I realize the Smartcast is using the TV source for audio on my AVR but I was hoping when using a Plex server, the app and Vizio would just pass through the audio from the source. I guess "Westworld" season 1 which is tried to play using the Plex app is not DD+ Atmos because it didn't pass that through. The disc is Dolby TrueHD Atmos so it is not passing Atmos over to the AVR. I'll have to wait for eARC but I won't be buying any new AVR or display just for eARC any time soon.

lujan
694 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62764 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Thanks, I realize the Smartcast is using the TV source for audio on my AVR but I was hoping when using a Plex server, the app and Vizio would just pass through the audio from the source. I guess "Westworld" season 1 which is tried to play using the Plex app is not DD+ Atmos because it didn't pass that through. The disc is Dolby TrueHD Atmos so it is not passing Atmos over to the AVR. I'll have to wait for eARC but I won't be buying any new AVR or display just for eARC any time soon.
Yes Plex for "X" will limit itself to formats supported on the device it's installed on.

For native audio formats I'd recommend using the Plex add-on for Kodi 18 on an android box since that supports 4k HDR and lossless audio formats, regardless of the devices capability to process them. It would just have to be connected to the avr directly.

post #62765 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Toggle your country, soft power cycle, toggle region back, soft power cycle.

I got it to work only using 1 Soft Power Cycle:

• Toggled to Canada.
  • Soft Power Cycle.
  • Sort Option Showed-up.
  • Set Country Back to USA.

- Pj
post #62766 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai G0SU View Post

I've been having a really weird issue with my P55-C1 lately. About a month ago the TV's screen would go blank after initial start up. So i did the soft reset by turning it off, unplugging and then holding the power button for 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

Now today, i just randomly thought maybe if i try and to a factory reset, maybe it would work? It was working intermittently time to time when i did the soft reset. But days ago it just stopped working. However, when i did the factory reset with the Vizio Tab after pairing, it started to work again.

So i thought it was fixed, but i wanted to see and i turned off the set, turned it back on and the issue was back. Black screen after the start up logo. Keep in mind, i can go to any app and still use it where as sound does go through but the video is black, like the screen is shut off.

So i did the factory reset one more time, got it to work and now I'm afraid to turn off the TV...

Could be a failing Power Supply. If so, it's possible to keep it going if the Display is left on. Use the Blank Screen feature when not in use. Change Power option to 'Economy'. You might get extra time for it to keep working by weeks or months, but if it's a dying PS or other component(s), it'll go eventually. You could try replacing the Power Board(s) or replace all the boards inside. (I'd replace all the boards at the same time if self-fixing a TV/Display - especially if a few years or more in age.)

- Pj
post #62767 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I got it to work only using 1 Soft Power Cycle:

• Toggled to Canada.
  • Soft Power Cycle.
  • Sort Option Showed-up.
  • Set Country Back to USA.

- Pj
Yea it worked like that for me as well. I put the extra steps in case someone cries about it not working the first time lol.

post #62768 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Thanks!

Actually they just posted a new firmware update coming out on the reddit forums. So should be around in the next few weeks.

1. Fixed an issue where a sound bar connected via HDMI ARC could power on by itself after several hours.
  2. Fixed an issue where a video could display artifacts when switching from YouTube to an HDMI input.
  3. Fixed an issue where Color Space settings and HDMI Color Space setting may not be carried over to SmartCast apps.
  4. Fixed the missing audio type and Wi-Fi information in SmartCast App.
  5. Fixed an issue where you will see an infinite spinner when checking for software updates.
  6. Fixed an issue where the remote control may not be able to move from left to right on the on-screen keyboard when entering a password.
  7. Fixed an issue where a user may not be able to select an Access Point after entering the incorrect password.
  8. Fixed an issue where a television may lose all Wi-Fi access points if the TV is in Quick Start mode and it is powered on/off.
  9. Fixed an issue where HDR content being passed through an AVR may not be recognized.
  10. Picture Mode will not display the video type of Dolby Vision, HDR10, or HLG if video is being displayed in an HDR format.
  11. System information menu now displays the Audio Out type and Wi-Fi Module information.
  12. Overall performance improvements.
We will be rolling this firmware out slowly over the next couple of weeks to the models listed above.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #62769 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtcobrastang View Post
Actually they just posted a new firmware update coming out on the reddit forums. So should be around in the next few weeks.

1. Fixed an issue where a sound bar connected via HDMI ARC could power on by itself after several hours.
  2. Fixed an issue where a video could display artifacts when switching from YouTube to an HDMI input.
  3. Fixed an issue where Color Space settings and HDMI Color Space setting may not be carried over to SmartCast apps.
  4. Fixed the missing audio type and Wi-Fi information in SmartCast App.
  5. Fixed an issue where you will see an infinite spinner when checking for software updates.
  6. Fixed an issue where the remote control may not be able to move from left to right on the on-screen keyboard when entering a password.
  7. Fixed an issue where a user may not be able to select an Access Point after entering the incorrect password.
  8. Fixed an issue where a television may lose all Wi-Fi access points if the TV is in Quick Start mode and it is powered on/off.
  9. Fixed an issue where HDR content being passed through an AVR may not be recognized.
  10. Picture Mode will not display the video type of Dolby Vision, HDR10, or HLG if video is being displayed in an HDR format.
  11. System information menu now displays the Audio Out type and Wi-Fi Module information.
  12. Overall performance improvements.
We will be rolling this firmware out slowly over the next couple of weeks to the models listed above.
What were the above listed models?
post #62770 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Hello All,

We have started to release a new firmware version 5.0.14.1 for the 2016 and 2017 E, M and P Series SmartCast models.

Updates:

Fixed an issue where a sound bar connected via HDMI ARC could power on by itself after several hours.

Fixed an issue where a video could display artifacts when switching from YouTube to an HDMI input.

Fixed an issue where Color Space settings and HDMI Color Space setting may not be carried over to SmartCast apps.

Fixed the missing audio type and Wi-Fi information in SmartCast App.

Fixed an issue where you will see an infinite spinner when checking for software updates.

Fixed an issue where the remote control may not be able to move from left to right on the on-screen keyboard when entering a password.

Fixed an issue where a user may not be able to select an Access Point after entering the incorrect password.

Fixed an issue where a television may lose all Wi-Fi access points if the TV is in Quick Start mode and it is powered on/off.

Fixed an issue where HDR content being passed through an AVR may not be recognized.

Picture Mode will not display the video type of Dolby Vision, HDR10, or HLG if video is being displayed in an HDR format.

System information menu now displays the Audio Out type and Wi-Fi Module information.

Overall performance improvements.

Please let me know what you think and if you see any other issues occur.
post #62771 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post

Picture Mode will not display the video type of Dolby Vision, HDR10, or HLG if video is being displayed in an HDR format.

I feel a little dense, but does this mean you removed the ability to see what type of HDR is being played on the TV or that you fixed a bug where it would not display? I feel like I am reading this sentence incorrectly...

Also shame that the lower input lag HDR has yet to return, makes me wish I could roll back my set to an older version. Glad to see my TV is still getting support though.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
post #62772 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:

Please tell us you’re not getting rid of the ability of the TV’s Info bar to show whether DV, HDR10, or HLG is being displayed. This is an incredibly useful feature...why in the world would you remove it? If so, that is INCREDIBLY frustrating. Get ready for an uproar from the user community!

Maybe I’m misunderstanding...you said something about “Picture Mode,” so hopefully the Info bar will continue to show HDR type. I can’t imagine why you’d deprecate this feature.

Last edited by Schwa; 10-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #62773 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dammit - I think they are taking away display of HDR10, DV, or HLG from the Info Bar! Check out the attached thumbnail from the P65-E1 manual -- that area of the display is called "Picture Mode."

Man, this really pi$$es me off! Why would they take that away? Matt McRae actually got that added for us after many user requests!! I use that function constantly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 12.40.40 AM.png
Views:	79
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	2476424  
Ken McPherson, stikle and leojj25 like this.

Last edited by Schwa; 10-31-2018 at 09:57 PM.
post #62774 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Hello All,

We have started to release a new firmware version 5.0.14.1 for the 2016 and 2017 E, M and P Series SmartCast models.

Updates:

Fixed an issue where a sound bar connected via HDMI ARC could power on by itself after several hours.

Fixed an issue where a video could display artifacts when switching from YouTube to an HDMI input.

Fixed an issue where Color Space settings and HDMI Color Space setting may not be carried over to SmartCast apps.

Fixed the missing audio type and Wi-Fi information in SmartCast App.

Fixed an issue where you will see an infinite spinner when checking for software updates.

Fixed an issue where the remote control may not be able to move from left to right on the on-screen keyboard when entering a password.

Fixed an issue where a user may not be able to select an Access Point after entering the incorrect password.

Fixed an issue where a television may lose all Wi-Fi access points if the TV is in Quick Start mode and it is powered on/off.

Fixed an issue where HDR content being passed through an AVR may not be recognized.

System information menu now displays the Audio Out type and Wi-Fi Module information.

Overall performance improvements.

Please let me know what you think and if you see any other issues occur.
That's great and all but can we get separate SDR and Dolby Vision Picture profiles for Calibrated and Calibrated Dark modes???

Also clarification request: Are you removing the ability to see HDR types from info bar such as when it's HDR10 or Dolby Vision? It would be incredibly stupid if that gets removed. It's would like removing the resolution and replacing it with SD and HD for 1080p or 2160p.

Oldways7 likes this.
post #62775 of 64736 Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Please tell us you’re not getting rid of the ability of the TV’s Info bar to show whether DV, HDR10, or HLG is being displayed. This is an incredibly useful feature...why in the world would you remove it? If so, that is INCREDIBLY frustrating. Get ready for an uproar from the user community!

Maybe I’m misunderstanding...you said something about “Picture Mode,” so hopefully the Info bar will continue to show HDR type. I can’t imagine why you’d deprecate this feature.
I'm hoping it's a typo and it was supposed to say:

Picture Mode will [NOW] display the video type of Dolby Vision, HDR10, or HLG if video is being displayed in an HDR format.

That would actually be really useful.

zer0cool2007 and Oldways7 like this.
post #62776 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtcobrastang View Post

Thanks!
post #62777 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping it's a typo and it was supposed to say:

Picture Mode will [NOW] display the video type of Dolby Vision, HDR10, or HLG if video is being displayed in an HDR format.

That would actually be really useful.

I sure hope you're right. That makes more sense, but dumber things have happened. If they remove it from the Info Bar then you'd have to dig into the System Info (I think) menu...and that's only if they don't also remove it from there too.

I guess we'll find out soon enough once one of the forum members gets the update.
post #62778 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I sure hope you're right. That makes more sense, but dumber things have happened. If they remove it from the Info Bar then you'd have to dig into the System Info (I think) menu...and that's only if they don't also remove it from there too.

I guess we'll find out soon enough once one of the forum members gets the update.
Not sure how it could be a typo. Doesn't the info bar already display the type of HDR? Not like they can add what is already there.
post #62779 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
Not sure how it could be a typo. Doesn't the info bar already display the type of HDR? Not like they can add what is already there.
Well if you read what the post says, it doesn't mention anything about an info bar... It says picture mode.

My deduction for the typo would be that under picture mode settings, it would say: Calibrated, Calibrated (HDR), Calibrated (Dolby Vision).

Or at least that's what I'm hoping happens lol

a61688 likes this.
post #62780 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
That's great and all but can we get separate SDR and Dolby Vision Picture profiles for Calibrated and Calibrated Dark modes???

Also clarification request: Are you removing the ability to see HDR types from info bar such as when it's HDR10 or Dolby Vision? It would be incredibly stupid if that gets removed. It's would like removing the resolution and replacing it with SD and HD for 1080p or 2160p.

We are not removing the HDR information from the information bar. This addition will be displayed after the picture mode is displayed allowing you to see what content you are receiving and that picture mode (HDR10, DV) you are adjusting.

Last edited by VizioService; 11-02-2018 at 12:38 PM.
post #62781 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
We are not removing the HDR information from the information bar. This addition will be display after the picture mode is display allowing you to see what content you are receiving and that picture mode (HDR10, DV) you are adjusting.
Bless up!!! Thanks for the clarification. Several of the members were getting worried that it would be removed from the info bar.

leojj25 likes this.
post #62782 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We are not removing the HDR information from the information bar. This addition will be display after the picture mode is display allowing you to see what content you are receiving and that picture mode (HDR10, DV) you are adjusting.
I'm still not sure what this means but glad the Information bar will still be available!
leojj25 likes this.

lujan
694 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #62783 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'm still not sure what this means but glad the Information bar will still be available!
In picture settings: profiles will no longer just say "Calibrated" for all content types. It will say Calibrated HDR or Calibrated Dolby Vision.

reallynotnick and leojj25 like this.
post #62784 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In picture settings: profiles will no longer just say "Calibrated" for all content types. It will say Calibrated HDR or Calibrated Dolby Vision.

Ok, but what will it say when viewing SDR material, just "Calibrated"?
leojj25 likes this.

lujan
694 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 11-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #62785 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like there was a typo in the firmware release notes where "not" should've been "now." The addition of that info to the Picture Mode is a very welcome one.

Rage mode off and Thank You mode on!
post #62786 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, but what will it says when viewing SDR material, just "Calibrated"?
Probably lol. Just wait for the firmware to be rolled out

post #62787 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Looks like there was a typo in the firmware release notes where "not" should've been "now." The addition of that info to the Picture Mode is a very welcome one.

Rage mode off and Thank You mode on!
Told ya lol

Schwa, radckh and a61688 like this.
post #62788 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Told ya lol

You, sir, win the internet.
post #62789 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
You, sir, win the internet.
At times like this I wish this was reddit

a61688 likes this.
post #62790 of 64736 Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5751 Post(s)
Liked: 3845
Quote:

Maybe they are separating everything like I asked for?.....over 2 years now.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page