Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288720Likes

post #63451 of 64736 Old 01-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Looks like mine has died. I bought it in March of 2016 upon intial release. Couple nights ago it was on a screen saver for the Apple TV for around ten minutes. It then displayed this mulit colored frizzed blur, kinda hard to explain. I cut it off with the remote and now I can get it to power back on. Tried power cycling to no avail, appears to be completely dead. Have there been any common failure points I can look at? Was hoping to run this thing for a few more years and look into 4K projectors, really don't want to buy a another TV right now especially as this has been a fantastic set.

Thanks guys and gals for any recommendations.
I guess I'm in the same boat as you, boomhower. Got my P55-C1 in April 2016, just died with the same symptoms as yours. Although, I find it odd that I'm still getting power out of the USB ports on the side of the TV. Were you ever able to get the power LED to come on? Just before mine died for good, I would turn the TV on and get a solid white power LED, but then it just went off after about 10 seconds without the TV coming on. It did that a couple times before becoming totally unresponsive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #63452 of 64736 Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ylinen View Post
I guess I'm in the same boat as you, boomhower. Got my P55-C1 in April 2016, just died with the same symptoms as yours. Although, I find it odd that I'm still getting power out of the USB ports on the side of the TV. Were you ever able to get the power LED to come on? Just before mine died for good, I would turn the TV on and get a solid white power LED, but then it just went off after about 10 seconds without the TV coming on. It did that a couple times before becoming totally unresponsive.
I believe it did once or twice. Haven't tried the USB as I've never used them for anything. I've tried about everything and at this point about given up. Going to pick up a cheap $500ish 65" to get me by for a while and pick up something nice in 2020.
post #63453 of 64736 Old 01-27-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
I believe it did once or twice. Haven't tried the USB as I've never used them for anything. I've tried about everything and at this point about given up. Going to pick up a cheap $500ish 65" to get me by for a while and pick up something nice in 2020.
FWIW, I had similar symptoms and it was the main board. Found a replacement online for less than $150 and put in in myself. For a trained repairman the difficultly is 1/10, IMHO, and the toughest part is removing the zillion screws on the rear of the TV.

I would say that pretty much anybody that has ever replaced computer components (video card, hard drive, etc) could do it themself. And if not, it's a simple job for a repairman.
blatz8 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #63454 of 64736 Old 01-27-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Sorry about that.

Still Super Bowl week is the best time of the year for TV deals. Check out the B8 OLED prices.

As an FYI, consider an extended warranty on your next set, TVs are fragile nowadays. My P65-C1 is still beautiful, but I have 3 years left on my warranty. Good luck.
post #63455 of 64736 Old 01-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
FWIW, I had similar symptoms and it was the main board. Found a replacement online for less than $150 and put in in myself. For a trained repairman the difficultly is 1/10, IMHO, and the toughest part is removing the zillion screws on the rear of the TV.

I would say that pretty much anybody that has ever replaced computer components (video card, hard drive, etc) could do it themself. And if not, it's a simple job for a repairman.

Could you link the part? As long as there isn’t any soldering needed I should be fine with it. I’ve built more computers over the years than I care to count but any soldering is a non starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #63456 of 64736 Old 01-27-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could you link the part? As long as there isn’t any soldering needed I should be fine with it. I’ve built more computers over the years than I care to count but any soldering is a non starter.
Zero soldering. I simply placed the set screen down on my carpeted floor and went to town. There are ton of Phillips screws on the back of the set, and I'm serious, that was the worst part. The only very minor gotcha is disconnecting the on/off switch wire before fully lifting the rear panel off.

Once the rear cover is off, it's all pretty self explanatory. Just several cables to disconnect. Swap out the board, and then do everything again in reverse.

I have a P65-C1 and the part was listed as:

VIZIO P65-C1 MAIN BOARD 756TXGCB0QK044, XGCB0QK044010X

(I'm not sure which is actually the part #)

post #63457 of 64736 Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FWIW, this is the old main board from my P65-C1. The power supply is a separate board but otherwise pretty much everything else is integrated on this single board.

As one can see, there are locations for a handful of screws and several wiring harnesses. Once the TV is opened, it takes less than 5 mins to remove and replace this board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	2517408  
rjspring and rightintel like this.

post #63458 of 64736 Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And here's a closeup of the connectors for some flat ribbon style cables. Note that one is open and one is closed in the photo. Just lift up to open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2517414  

post #63459 of 64736 Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
And here's a closeup of the connectors for some flat ribbon style cables. Note that one is open and one is closed in the photo. Just lift up to open.
Thanks for posting the photos. Did you have to replace both the main and power supply boards? Can you elaborate any on the symptoms your set was having?
post #63460 of 64736 Old 01-29-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting the photos. Did you have to replace both the main and power supply boards? Can you elaborate any on the symptoms your set was having?
Just the main board.

There were some very momentary periods of screen “corruption” when everything became jumbled. Over a matter of days the short bursts became more common, and at first I thought it might be a HDMI handshake issue. But it persisted even when forcing lower bandwidth video streams.

Very quickly the situation deteriorated with more frequent glitches, and even some reboots, and then the screen went black and the tv appeared non-responsive.

The USB ports, however, remained powered so I made the calculated assumption that the main board was still providing current. It was a good presumption to try the main board first. Been working fine ever since.
JamHandMan likes this.

post #63461 of 64736 Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Just the main board.

There were some very momentary periods of screen “corruption” when everything became jumbled. Over a matter of days the short bursts became more common, and at first I thought it might be a HDMI handshake issue. But it persisted even when forcing lower bandwidth video streams.

Very quickly the situation deteriorated with more frequent glitches, and even some reboots, and then the screen went black and the tv appeared non-responsive.

The USB ports, however, remained powered so I made the calculated assumption that the main board was still providing current. It was a good presumption to try the main board first. Been working fine ever since.
This is great information. I wonder if all the 2016 TV start to fail if Vizio will do a free repair? There was an issue a while back where Samsung has defective power supplies and replaced then for free years after purchase. .. I'm ok with replacing a broad, but I would expect 10 years out of a TV considering the fact that it's a stationary electronics.
post #63462 of 64736 Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamHandMan View Post
This is great information. I wonder if all the 2016 TV start to fail if Vizio will do a free repair? There was an issue a while back where Samsung has defective power supplies and replaced then for free years after purchase. .. I'm ok with replacing a broad, but I would expect 10 years out of a TV considering the fact that it's a stationary electronics.
You're ok with replacing the "broad".
rjspring, a61688 and DrBrFrJr like this.

lujan
693 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #63463 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
An interesting and cool feature update I received on my P's

Apparently Vizio has enabled/advanced Google assistant commands by linking their tvs to a Vizio Smartcast service in the Google home app. You must have a Vizio account, tv linked to it, and also link your Google account to the Vizio account (even if you used the Google account to make the Vizio one lol), and add them again to your respective room(s).

After that it's cool to be able to launch smartcast apps like Plex n Netflix via voice as well as change inputs.

Sadly I still gotta specify which tv I wanna turn on/off even though each tv and home are linked to different rooms which default tvs set LOL. But pretty sure that's because of the lackluster harmony integration tho.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
a61688 likes this.
post #63464 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post

Apparently Vizio has enabled/advanced Google assistant commands by linking their tvs to a Vizio Smartcast service in the Google home app. You must have a Vizio account, tv linked to it, and also link your Google account to the Vizio account (even if you used the Google account to make the Vizio one lol), and add them again to your respective room(s).

After that it's cool to be able to launch smartcast apps like Plex n Netflix via voice as well as change inputs.

Sadly I still gotta specify which tv I wanna turn on/off even though each tv and home are linked to different rooms which default tvs set LOL. But pretty sure that's because of the lackluster harmony integration tho.

This sounds awesome, I tried, authorized Vizio via the gHome app. But nothing happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #63465 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
This sounds awesome, I tried, authorized Vizio via the gHome app. But nothing happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
First you have to link the tv to your Vizio account on the tv itself. Then add the Vizio service on the ghome app. It'll redirect you to login with your Vizio account, there you authorize it to link to the Google account. It worked on my 2nd try

blatz8 likes this.
post #63466 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
@brownknuckles

Did you try my posted settings?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #63467 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamHandMan View Post
The only way Vizio would consider doing free repairs on a 2 year old model is a major amount, over 25% of a model all fail with exactly the same device on a board failing. Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years, if you get more life then that out of a device you are very lucky, expecting a 10 year lifespan from a device is a dream people had 30 years ago and it is long gone. The Vizio 2016 P series has a acceptably low failure rate, you cannot count people playing the panel lottery trying to find a display with less banding or DSE those are not failures they are common manufacturing flaws that ALL LCD displays have, some are better then others but they are not a failure.
DAB and naustin like this.
post #63468 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Firmware version?

I ask because I link my Vizio account but I don't see that number of devices like you do when I explore services again after linking.

Last edited by a61688; 01-31-2019 at 04:55 AM.
post #63469 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
The only way Vizio would consider doing free repairs on a 2 year old model is a major amount, over 25% of a model all fail with exactly the same device on a board failing. Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years, if you get more life then that out of a device you are very lucky, expecting a 10 year lifespan from a device is a dream people had 30 years ago and it is long gone. The Vizio 2016 P series has a acceptably low failure rate, you cannot count people playing the panel lottery trying to find a display with less banding or DSE those are not failures they are common manufacturing flaws that ALL LCD displays have, some are better then others but they are not a failure.
I'd like to see documentation proving that "Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years" Who exactly are these infamous designers? Can you prove some grand conspiracy of planned obsolescence among electronics manufacturers? When exactly did this conspiracy begin? Is "hardware" manufactured in the good old day of, say, pre-conspiracy 2000, still performing to spec, while "hardware" manufactured in post-conspiracy 2013 is now precipitously failing?

Anyone can assert anything, hey just look at certain Twitter accounts! However, an assertion is only as strong as the evidence available to support it.

Now, this is all not to be confused with recent trends regarding how often people upgrade or replace their electronics, due to improvements in tech or simply disposable income burning a hole in their pockets. I swapped a perfectly fine two year old 60" Samsung for my "65 Vizio just 'cause I wanted a bigger screen and better specs. I'm confident that the guy who bought the Samsung off me on Craig's will enjoy it for as long as he wants it, barring abuse or the inevitable random failure that any and all electronics gear suffer.
JamHandMan likes this.
post #63470 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
You're ok with replacing the "broad".
post #63471 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3098 Post(s)
Liked: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years, if you get more life then that out of a device you are very lucky, expecting a 10 year lifespan from a device is a dream people had 30 years ago and it is long gone.
I disagree. I work in homes every day. There is an older neighborhood I work in sometimes and I constantly see devices 30+ years old that function very well. Tube TVs, refrigerators, mixers, record players, etc. Planned obsolescence/lifespan is something manufacturers started doing with newer devices.

Edit: After rereading your post maybe that is what you meant?
DAB likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 01-31-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #63472 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 89
[QUOTE=skschatzman;57529010]I disagree. I work in homes every day. There is an older neighborhood I work in sometimes and I constantly see devices 30+ years old that function very well. Tube TVs, refrigerators, mixers, record players, etc. Planned obsolescence/lifespan is something manufacturers started doing with newer devices.

I agree-- just replace a 20yr old front loader washing machine- {1st off the line}.
Replaced in the last 2yrs>>>- 2 Refig/dishwasher/

Purchase a VP65 c-1 /2016-- issues and was replaced with 2017 E-1.
2018 motherboard was replaced. My VP65 E-1 is very beautiful- [coming from a Plasma Monitor]. State of the art is not what "it's states"
*Costco/citi CC has saved me a lot of $$$issues.
post #63473 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
This looks interesting:

Coming Soon!

CalMAN Home Color Calibration Solutions

Pleasanton, CA USA - January 31, 2019 - Portrait Displays®, Inc. is excited to announce a new suite of color calibration solutions releasing soon. CalMAN Home calibration solutions are specifically created for consumers seeking a superior viewing experience with optimized color.

CalMAN Home features AutoCal support at a more affordable price. With AutoCal, calibrations take less time and are far more consistent. Each version of CalMAN Home supports TVs from a specific manufacturer.

CalMAN Home provides consumers the ability to more easily calibrate their TVs for their specific environment and viewing preferences. Consumers can now enjoy films, TV shows, and other media with best-in-class picture quality based on the latest in color science and display technology.

Each CalMAN Home version features a workflow optimized for accomplishing its one specific goal. "CalMAN is an extremely powerful collection of calibration capabilities," said Jason Ramirez, CalMAN Senior Product Manager at Portrait Displays. "CalMAN Home calibration solutions strip away the complexity and presents just what is needed to conduct a color calibration," Ramirez continued.

The recent announcement of built-in pattern generators in the upcoming 2019 LG and Panasonic TVs further reduces the cost of calibration. With a built-in pattern generator, consumers no longer need to purchase an external device to create video test patterns. These technological advancements by LG and Panasonic paired with CalMAN Home offer an extremely low-cost solution for color calibration.

"Portrait Displays recognizes that consumer color standards are becoming increasingly sophisticated," said Eric Brumm, President and CEO of Portrait Displays. "We are now able to offer consumers calibration solutions that are lower in cost, specific to their needs, and provide the ability to create fantastic calibration results at a professional level," Brumm continued.

CalMAN Home will be released soon. More info will be available as we get closer to launch. Follow us on social media to be the first to know when these products are available for purchase.

About Portrait Displays, Inc.

Portrait Displays, Inc., since 1993, provides color display solutions that combine the latest in color science with advanced display control. The Portrait Displays team now includes SpectraCal, the world’s leading provider of color calibration solutions. The combined companies offer value-added, feature-rich solutions to both display manufacturers and consumers seeking improved accuracy and manageability of their displays.

Portrait Displays, an Intel Capital Portfolio company, is a private corporation with headquarters in
Pleasanton, California, USA, with representatives in Europe, Taiwan, China, Japan, and Korea.
post #63474 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
@brownknuckles

Did you try my posted settings?

Yes I'm currently using them and the colors are similar to the p50 now Thanks for the settings.

post #63475 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
Firmware version?

I ask because I link my Vizio account but I don't see that number of devices like you do when I explore services again after linking.
So I just checked and even though I'm running firmware 5.0.16.1, I have smartcast version 3.0.190131.37971|21.4

Guess they automatically push the beta update to anyone who signed up for it without any confirmation email LOL

post #63476 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I'm currently using them and the colors are similar to the p50 now Thanks for the settings.

Having any issues with blacks, lifted or crushed?

post #63477 of 64736 Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Uh-Oh. Appears to be a dead Power Supply. Unplug all devices from the TV.

You can try to unplug it, Press-n-Hold the Power button on back for 20 seconds. Leave unplugged for 12+ hours. Plug in. Try to power it up. If no go, wait another 24+ hours with it plugged-in before powering-up. See if that works. You can repeat and lengthen these procedures a few more times, if you're patient.

If it does now work, it's only temporarily. You can leave it on 24/7 until it dies. Either way, it needs service or replaced. (You could risk and buy a PS board, or better yet, purchase and replace all the boards at the same time. If just replacing the PS board - and the problem is another board - there's a risk of messing-up the new PS board.)

- Pj
Hey, had a question because it was ignored when I brought it up before. Here are the symptoms and I'm wondering if you could point me to a better narrowing down of what is needed:

1) Turned off the TV to wash the display. Standard just lightly damp rag, etc.
2) Turned on, backlight was active, about a 20 or 30% gray on the display. No text or image with it. Turned off the display.
3) Turned it on, this time backlight active but pure black on the display. It matched the symptoms of others here, with the power light coming on, then going off, nothing displayed.
4) After fussing with it, I unplugged the set for 24 hours and drained the caps for the PS board.
5) After doing this, the screen turned on and went to the V logo splash screen, but went into a boot loop.

Now, I have a suspicion that I turned the set on during the firmware update and a bad flash occurred to the bios chip on the mainboard (hence that gray screen described in number 2 above). Due to me interrupting the process, then fussing with turning it off during a potential update after powering it on during such a thing would corrupt the firmware without a doubt (that is computer tech thing, so sure on that).

Another possibility comes up with me unplugging the set for 24 hours and draining the caps. On older models than this, the caps would not discharge and would hold a state and cause the screen to remain black, from my research and if I'm remembering those pages correctly. They recommended to unplug for an extended period of time and holding the power button for excessive time while unplugged to fully discharge. This would point to a potential PS issue. But, it could have also just been transient and arose at the same time as the other issue. Otherwise, this points to the PS needing replaced.

The bad flash refers to needing a new mainboard, if I am correct, or desoldering the bios chip, using an eeprom programmer to load a fresh rom image onto the bios chip, then resoldering the chip to the board.

So my question comes in whether Vizio implements a safety dual bios to reload a firmware in the event of a bad flash, or have another way to load a firmware in the event of a bad flash and whether this description on how to factory reset the TV could also cause it to look for a fresh bios on, say, a USB drive plugged into the non-USB 3.0 port on the device, or if you think the factory reset may resolve the boot loop issue?

Considering the instructions on how to do the factory reset, I figured I would ask.

I have the P50-C1 LTMWTNAS serial variant.

BTW, Vizio, if you frequent this thread, ADD A SECOND BIOS CHIP TO PREVENT BAD FLASH ISSUES! Either that or implement a safety reflash for the TVs similar to what modern MBs for PCs implement! Then just give us access to the firmware in like an FTP so we can select the firmware version we like in the event of issues with a newer firmware. Users will come to a consensus on which firmware works best for them!
post #63478 of 64736 Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Having any issues with blacks, lifted or crushed?

Unfortunately I don't have the best eye for something like that. Naturally the ips panel won't deliver near perfect blacks like the VA panel does. With the colors being a bit dark on 2.2 gamma I use 2.0 for calibrated, BL 65,, color 55 clearaction on, BL 55 for calibrated dark, color 53, gamma 2.1, clearaction on. I find enabled CA helps with blacks in a dark room but really helps with motion clarity.

I haven't noticed any blue or red hues in the blacks when watching DV content via the apple tv though

post #63479 of 64736 Old 02-01-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have the best eye for something like that. Naturally the ips panel won't deliver near perfect blacks like the VA panel does. With the colors being a bit dark on 2.2 gamma I use 2.0 for calibrated, BL 65,, color 55 clearaction on, BL 55 for calibrated dark, color 53, gamma 2.1, clearaction on. I find enabled CA helps with blacks in a dark room but really helps with motion clarity.

I haven't noticed any blue or red hues in the blacks when watching DV content via the apple tv though

Are you using Offset settings for DV?

I am now, there is so much highlight detail revealed when they are there. Blacks look fine and I can use sharpness at 30.

Backlight at 40, and the CMS settings without color brightness. Picture is amazing.

post #63480 of 64736 Old 02-01-2019, 07:05 PM

I do plan on replacing both boards in my set to see if I can bring it back to life for a damned good bedroom TV as our decade old Sony LCD is starting to have some issues. Today I caved and bought a P65-F1, I just couldn't resist for what they are selling for. Paid $900 and if memory recalls the C1 was almost $2k. Obviously even with the failure I don't believe Vizio builds an inferior product. I'll keep the thread updated once I begin the repair process.
bluechunks and blatz8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page