Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288471Likes

post #63481 of 63936 Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I do plan on replacing both boards in my set to see if I can bring it back to life for a damned good bedroom TV as our decade old Sony LCD is starting to have some issues. Today I caved and bought a P65-F1, I just couldn't resist for what they are selling for. Paid $900 and if memory recalls the C1 was almost $2k. Obviously even with the failure I don't believe Vizio builds an inferior product. I'll keep the thread updated once I begin the repair process.
Great price! And the C1 is definitely worth fixing.

As for the Vizio products, if you ever feel like spending around $2K again, the Quantum P series got *really* good reviews from rtings. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...series-quantum ; https://www.vizio.com/pq65f1.html

Don't get me wrong, I own plenty of Vizio TVs. My main frustration is I think some of these failures with the same symptoms around the same period in time may have come from a bad flash of the new firmware. There was a person or two that had the same symptoms before mine died, then when the new firmware rolled out generally within 1 week of my post, we see a couple more have the same symptoms. Now, there are some differences in our symptoms, and I haven't verified if yours or others sets still had a backlight going or if that died on those sets, etc. So still could just be a coincidence. But, there is correlation to the update and the effect, which makes me question whether something else happened (which is why my suggestion of a secondary BIOS with a factory safe firmware on it that can reflash the main chip if a bad flash occurs or to have the chips necessary to do a "BIOS flashback" like on modern motherboards was suggested, both of which would potentially save money on Mainboard replacements due to bad flashes over the period of the product, even if only implemented on the "P" series and above; although these failures may be unrelated to the firmware update).

I do look forward to seeing your results, as I was planning on purchasing the mainboard and PS in a week or two. My P50-C1 is used as a monitor in my home office, so it is more of an inconvenience than anything (I swapped in a different 50" set I had, but that doesn't have 4:4:4 chroma and has less features). And all this as I just picked up a used i1pro2 to go with my i1display pro....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #63482 of 63936 Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
So I just checked and even though I'm running firmware 5.0.16.1, I have smartcast version 3.0.190131.37971|21.4

Guess they automatically push the beta update to anyone who signed up for it without any confirmation email LOL

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I'm on the same version of SmartCast and I'm NOT in the beta program.
post #63483 of 63936 Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
I'm on the same version of SmartCast and I'm NOT in the beta program.
Yea I'm thinking it's a normal push, just the other mate couldn't access the features when I could.

a61688 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #63484 of 63936 Old 02-02-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
P75-C1 purchased Oct 2016. Haven't turned on the set in a few weeks. Decided to watch some TV tonight, so pressed the button on the remote.

*BANG* *SPARK* *BANG* *SPARK*

And there goes my TV, just barely out of the extended warranty. I don't mind DIY replacing parts (someone above said it's as easy as replacing a laptop motherboard, etc), but I wouldn't know which parts to replace unless I open it up and they are clearly burnt.
post #63485 of 63936 Old 02-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediastuff View Post
P75-C1 purchased Oct 2016. Haven't turned on the set in a few weeks. Decided to watch some TV tonight, so pressed the button on the remote.

*BANG* *SPARK* *BANG* *SPARK*

And there goes my TV, just barely out of the extended warranty. I don't mind DIY replacing parts (someone above said it's as easy as replacing a laptop motherboard, etc), but I wouldn't know which parts to replace unless I open it up and they are clearly burnt.
That is the issue and is the reason I've waited on buying certain parts yet (I have the 50" in a side bedroom waiting for when I have the time to open it). Even with that, and it seems with the sparks you will have an easier time figuring out which components may have burnt out for you, there are other ways of testing board components (using a digital volt meter and checking) which I could do IF I was more familiar with those components (I've been building my own computers since the early 90s, so doing component replacement or checking voltages vs software readings is not unfamiliar to me). But without schematics or working knowledge of TV component boards, I'm roughly in the same boat and made my statements on which components may be wrong for me off of guesses from researching regular problems with this model or earlier models of Vizio TVs without having the certainty I would like (replacing parts willy nilly generally isn't the best way of fixing something, nor the most cost effective). Also, there can be times when a component on one board dies, but it died due to a faulty power supply that caused a surge, so replacing, say, the mainboard could result in another dead mainboard because the underlying issue of the power supply was not resolved, as an example.
post #63486 of 63936 Old 02-03-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
Great price! And the C1 is definitely worth fixing.

As for the Vizio products, if you ever feel like spending around $2K again, the Quantum P series got *really* good reviews from rtings. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...series-quantum ; https://www.vizio.com/pq65f1.html

Don't get me wrong, I own plenty of Vizio TVs. My main frustration is I think some of these failures with the same symptoms around the same period in time may have come from a bad flash of the new firmware. There was a person or two that had the same symptoms before mine died, then when the new firmware rolled out generally within 1 week of my post, we see a couple more have the same symptoms. Now, there are some differences in our symptoms, and I haven't verified if yours or others sets still had a backlight going or if that died on those sets, etc. So still could just be a coincidence. But, there is correlation to the update and the effect, which makes me question whether something else happened (which is why my suggestion of a secondary BIOS with a factory safe firmware on it that can reflash the main chip if a bad flash occurs or to have the chips necessary to do a "BIOS flashback" like on modern motherboards was suggested, both of which would potentially save money on Mainboard replacements due to bad flashes over the period of the product, even if only implemented on the "P" series and above; although these failures may be unrelated to the firmware update).

I do look forward to seeing your results, as I was planning on purchasing the mainboard and PS in a week or two. My P50-C1 is used as a monitor in my home office, so it is more of an inconvenience than anything (I swapped in a different 50" set I had, but that doesn't have 4:4:4 chroma and has less features). And all this as I just picked up a used i1pro2 to go with my i1display pro....
My next one will likely be in the $1500-$2000 range, just right now didn't want to go that high again. The main reason I say that is size. I'm at about a 12' distance and believe I'd benefit more from a 75" P75 than a PQ65 or whatever the equivalents are in a few years. Even if prices drop will likely go with the bigger size or a projector if 4K and nice HDR are in that price range. Lets hope for a longer life on this one and a successful repair on the old one.
ajc9988 likes this.
post #63487 of 63936 Old 02-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
That is the issue and is the reason I've waited on buying certain parts yet (I have the 50" in a side bedroom waiting for when I have the time to open it). Even with that, and it seems with the sparks you will have an easier time figuring out which components may have burnt out for you, there are other ways of testing board components (using a digital volt meter and checking) which I could do IF I was more familiar with those components (I've been building my own computers since the early 90s, so doing component replacement or checking voltages vs software readings is not unfamiliar to me). But without schematics or working knowledge of TV component boards, I'm roughly in the same boat and made my statements on which components may be wrong for me off of guesses from researching regular problems with this model or earlier models of Vizio TVs without having the certainty I would like (replacing parts willy nilly generally isn't the best way of fixing something, nor the most cost effective). Also, there can be times when a component on one board dies, but it died due to a faulty power supply that caused a surge, so replacing, say, the mainboard could result in another dead mainboard because the underlying issue of the power supply was not resolved, as an example.
I haven't cracked my open yet but from what I've seen the basic make up is two main powers. Replace them both and you've got the majority of the system. Nothing is 100% of course. But that is my plan. If it doesn't work and don't toast the parts I resell them and at most lose $50, worth the risk to me. For you, I definitely would be looking for the burnt parts. I'm mainly looking for failed capacitors on mine.
ajc9988 likes this.
post #63488 of 63936 Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
My next one will likely be in the $1500-$2000 range, just right now didn't want to go that high again. The main reason I say that is size. I'm at about a 12' distance and believe I'd benefit more from a 75" P75 than a PQ65 or whatever the equivalents are in a few years. Even if prices drop will likely go with the bigger size or a projector if 4K and nice HDR are in that price range. Lets hope for a longer life on this one and a successful repair on the old one.
Well, if that is the case, consider trying to track down a 75" TCL 8K 8-series, which is rumored to have pre-sales for about $1800 according to HDTV Test.
https://hdtvtest.co.uk/n/TCL-Unleash...21-at-CES-2019
https://www.avsforum.com/tcl-8-serie...s-at-ces-2019/

The mini-LED (not microLED) combined with Q-dots should provide an excellent color gamut, great blacks (300% more local area dimming zones compared to their last 8-series or 6-series, so like 360 or so zones), and a decent price point. Vincent had a good video talking about TCL during CES. Granted, 8-series are very hard to find, but something to keep an eye out for, especially if you can find it around the $2K price point.

Quote:
I haven't cracked my open yet but from what I've seen the basic make up is two main powers. Replace them both and you've got the majority of the system. Nothing is 100% of course. But that is my plan. If it doesn't work and don't toast the parts I resell them and at most lose $50, worth the risk to me. For you, I definitely would be looking for the burnt parts. I'm mainly looking for failed capacitors on mine.
Yeah, I plan on doing that once I finish this project in the next day or two. I'm considering buying both the power supply and mainboard to be on the safe side since the black screen needing to do a prolonged discharge has been associated with faulty caps not wanting to discharge on sets back around 2013 (the black screen but having the backlight still working, IIRC what I read on that, which doing the longer discharge solves, but suggests that could crop up again).
post #63489 of 63936 Old 02-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Watched Superbowl among other shows today via Chromecast, whatever they (Vizio) did to the Chromecast software layer really jacked up the quality. I tried Yahoo, CBS, and YouTubeTV they were all equally terrible.

This is in addition to PLEX being a mess as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
blatz8 likes this.
post #63490 of 63936 Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Need to make a correction to my statement on price. In TCL's own press information, they mentioned their previous 6-series 75" 4K for $1800, and I think this caused some confusion surrounding the upcoming display pricing. Prices are still not known. The rest stands except for price. Also, the prior 6-series had 160 zones on the 75", meaning potentially 480 zones, rather than the 360 I mentioned.
From the first post in this thread:

OWNERS ONLY!!

This thread is now exclusively for current owners of the Vizio P-series sets. If you do not own the set, do not post here. This is NOT the thread for comparisons or help-me-choose questions. For those, start a new post or find an existing post. The same members will see it, trust me. *****
post #63491 of 63936 Old 02-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 4083
Off topic posts removed. This is a thread ONLY for current owners at their request. PLEASE respect their wishes.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #63492 of 63936 Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Cracked my set open today. Be careful of the cable running along the bottom to the buttons on the TV (only cable connected to the back shell).
stikle, blatz8 and a61688 like this.

Last edited by ajc9988; 02-06-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Add photo of it opened
post #63493 of 63936 Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Thanks for the photos!

For those who are not familiar, the board on the right (green) is the Vizio main board and the board on the left (orange/tan) is the power supply.

The blue board at the bottom is the controller for the LCD panel itself and the 4 green ones in the middle are the power distribution for the backlights.

post #63494 of 63936 Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Thanks for the photos!

For those who are not familiar, the board on the right (green) is the Vizio main board and the board on the left (orange/tan) is the power supply.

The blue board at the bottom is the controller for the LCD panel itself and the 4 green ones in the middle are the power distribution for the backlights.
Thank you for that addition. I had that all typed out in a post I tried to do earlier (don't know if it was a mod or my browser on my desktop glitching with this forum), but since it didn't post, I didn't feel like retyping it (nearly didn't post the pictures due to attitudes of some in the thread).

Also, there are three screws on each side, 6 screws in the top, and 6 screws in the bottom (4 are easy to see, two screws are recessed). Then you have 4 screws by where the adapter connections are (HDMI ports, etc.) and one screw under where the power plugs in that will need unscrewed.

Because I didn't want to struggle too hard with the connection mid-cable to disconnect it heading to the power/volume/input buttons (I've pulled cables out of connectors before = no fun!), I used the push tab to release the connector to the mainboard. This connector is the empty one in that picture underneath the one for the sound cables, but above the thin ribbon cable at the bottom left of the mainboard.

That will get you in. The other pictures are the white stickers needed to find the parts numbers for the different components.

I found it interesting my T-Con board has a different number than what is listed on some sites for the T-Con board. But, I also have the LTMWTNAS variant, which is separate and the mainboard and other components need verified for that reason (which everyone should verify the parts they need so as not to waste time, money, or restocking fees anyways).

In any case, should be able to purchase the parts tomorrow and will continue the description on how to switch out the parts and test the system as I am able to get to that.

Best regards, good sir.
bluechunks and stikle like this.
post #63495 of 63936 Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I believe it did once or twice. Haven't tried the USB as I've never used them for anything. I've tried about everything and at this point about given up. Going to pick up a cheap $500ish 65" to get me by for a while and pick up something nice in 2020.
Fixed mine. It was the main board. Got a refurbished one off Newegg.com.
You'll probably want to take the back off of your TV just to make sure the board revision matches before you order.
ajc9988 likes this.
post #63496 of 63936 Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
I switched to Smartcast this evening and got a full screen message pointing here: https://viziotvsettlement.com
post #63497 of 63936 Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
I switched to Smartcast this evening and got a full screen message pointing here: https://viziotvsettlement.com
I got the same yesterday afternoon.

Bobby 

post #63498 of 63936 Old 02-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
US customers only
post #63499 of 63936 Old 02-08-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post
US customers only
I guess folks in the Great White North were not as litigious
post #63500 of 63936 Old 02-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
Firmware version?

I ask because I link my Vizio account but I don't see that number of devices like you do when I explore services again after linking.
Update: In order to link your TV with Google Assistant, you have to go to Extras under the SmartCast input, select Google Assistant and proceed to follow instructions. See attached image. Once this was done, I successfully added it and can control it. Will need to try a variety of command to see what works and what doesn't but I can now say "Start Plex on Living Room TV" Woohoo!
naustin likes this.
post #63501 of 63936 Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Update: In order to link your TV with Google Assistant, you have to go to Extras under the SmartCast input, select Google Assistant and proceed to follow instructions. See attached image. Once this was done, I successfully added it and can control it. Will need to try a variety of command to see what works and what doesn't but I can now say "Start Plex on Living Room TV" Woohoo!
If only launching an app automatically turned on the tv as well, or they had continued conversation worked since app launching is only effect once the sets are on

post #63502 of 63936 Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
Watched Superbowl among other shows today via Chromecast, whatever they (Vizio) did to the Chromecast software layer really jacked up the quality. I tried Yahoo, CBS, and YouTubeTV they were all equally terrible.

This is in addition to PLEX being a mess as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Casting is generally limited by the source quality. Our sets don't have great upscaling.

As for Plex it's been a mess for a long time and I don't have any hopes of it being fixed.

post #63503 of 63936 Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
If only launching an app automatically turned on the tv as well, or they had continued conversation worked since app launching is only effect once the sets are on

As long as it is in quick start, it should wake it up. I can say "watch Daredevil" and it'll wake right up and play from Netflix.
post #63504 of 63936 Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Casting is generally limited by the source quality. Our sets don't have great upscaling.

As for Plex it's been a mess for a long time and I don't have any hopes of it being fixed.

What part of Plex is a mess for you? Only issue I've been noticing is a little bit of artifacting every now and then in my streams.
post #63505 of 63936 Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
As long as it is in quick start, it should wake it up. I can say "watch Daredevil" and it'll wake right up and play from Netflix.
That's always been a feature since I got the panel. That's using casting.

I mean like saying "launch Plex" or "open YouTube" while looking for the remote will launch the app but won't turn on the panel. Ya gotta say "turn on tv", wait a couple secs, then launch the apps

post #63506 of 63936 Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
What part of Plex is a mess for you? Only issue I've been noticing is a little bit of artifacting every now and then in my streams.
Yea there's major artifacting at certain points during streams. Also anime is hit or miss on the Vizio unless it's optimized by Plex.

a61688 likes this.
post #63507 of 63936 Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
That's always been a feature since I got the panel. That's using casting.

I mean like saying "launch Plex" or "open YouTube" while looking for the remote will launch the app but won't turn on the panel. Ya gotta say "turn on tv", wait a couple secs, then launch the apps

I've been able to wake it by saying "launch Plex" and not having to say "turn on" first.
post #63508 of 63936 Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM

So the new main board will be here on Thursday. I'll update the status of the TV then.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
johnjn, blatz8 and a61688 like this.
post #63509 of 63936 Old 02-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

My P65-C1 has been doing some random re-boots for a year or so. It seems to be occurring a little more often now than it was. Usually it is proceeded by a yellow/green line at the very top or far left followed by some vertical lines or banding that look like a closed window blind.

Short of replacing boards is there any fix for this? Will Vizio stand behind the problem even for sets that are out of warranty? I bought mine directly from Vizio on Black Friday 2017.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I did a few searches which didn't bring up anything. However, I did find a couple of You Tube videos that showed the same problem.
post #63510 of 63936 Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo9 View Post
Hi,

My P65-C1 has been doing some random re-boots for a year or so. It seems to be occurring a little more often now than it was. Usually it is proceeded by a yellow/green line at the very top or far left followed by some vertical lines or banding that look like a closed window blind.

Short of replacing boards is there any fix for this? Will Vizio stand behind the problem even for sets that are out of warranty? I bought mine directly from Vizio on Black Friday 2017.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I did a few searches which didn't bring up anything. However, I did find a couple of You Tube videos that showed the same problem.
Have you tried a Reset To Factory Settings. I find that doing that each time they download new firmware, it fixes those issues.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page