Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288453Likes

post #63751 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Right, none. It surprised me after all the complaints. I'm assuming that's Sony's processing is really paying dividends here.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
It is interesting that you saw no banding or compression artifacts on GoT the Battle of Winterfell on your Sony. What Video processing settings do you have active? I normally don't activate video processing on my P65 or Sony 900F but if it helps HBO, I might. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #63752 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
lossy atmos from Apple TV 4K over ARC to Atmos sounder?

I am trying to get lossy DD+ Atmos from my Apple TV 4K to my SB36512-F6 soundbar over ARC through my P50-C1. Previous posts indicate this should work.

Did this break in the stable firmware release branch? Should I attempt to upgrade to the beta firmware to see if it works there?

Thanks,
post #63753 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeisapear View Post
I am trying to get lossy DD+ Atmos from my Apple TV 4K to my SB36512-F6 soundbar over ARC through my P50-C1. Previous posts indicate this should work.

Did this break in the stable firmware release branch? Should I attempt to upgrade to the beta firmware to see if it works there?

Thanks,
Apple tv does not support Atmos over arc.

It has to be connected directly to an Atmos compatible soundbar or receiver. So if your soundbar doesn't support DV passthrough then you gotta choose one

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204069

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #63754 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
Apple tv does not support Atmos over arc.

It has to be connected directly to an Atmos compatible soundbar or receiver. So if your soundbar doesn't support DV passthrough then you gotta choose one
Thank you for the quick and informative response. Since I have a UBP-X800 with TrueHD Atmos that needs a direct connection and so does the Apple TV 4K, I'm guessing my only option is to get an HDMI switcher the share the HDMI-IN port of the Vizio SB36512?
post #63755 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the quick and informative response. Since I have a UBP-X800 with TrueHD Atmos that needs a direct connection and so does the Apple TV 4K, I'm guessing my only option is to get an HDMI switcher the share the HDMI-IN port of the Vizio SB36512?
It's worth a try. Also apple tv doesn't have true Atmos playback, it just doesn't output unless it's directly connected to a device that supports Atmos natively, or maybe to one that has built in processing like some LG tvs.

Also I've found that introducing switchers doesn't always play well with DV. For instance my Sony NT5 soundbar has an 3 port HDMI hub built in but it only passes through HDR10 not DV.

post #63756 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks,
Similarly, I am trying to pass Atmos from Fire TV stick 4k "Jack Ryan" over Atmos to my receiver. It doesn't seem to work. When watching "Jack Ryan" directly on the tv, the top line states Dolby Atmos, but the output is only Dolby Digital.
post #63757 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr View Post
Similarly, I am trying to pass Atmos from Fire TV stick 4k "Jack Ryan" over Atmos to my receiver. It doesn't seem to work. When watching "Jack Ryan" directly on the tv, the top line states Dolby Atmos, but the output is only Dolby Digital.
That's interesting. Does Atmos work from the built-in Smartcast apps? That may narrow down if it is external device vs. TV related.
post #63758 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I turned-on Subtitles with NetFlix last night. Maybe on a few scenes I saw some Backlight pulsing, but mostly it looked fine. I use Yellow Text over a Black Box background. Could this be more of a problem with the larger sized P-Series (65/75)?

If it's severe enough for some, they could turn-off ALZ (Xtreme Black Engine Pro) and back-down the Brightness. (I know some people freak-out when I say that, but let someone else who is reading decide for themselves if they can live with ALZ Off until the problem is fixed.)

- Pj (P50-See One)
For me I watch Star Trek Enterprise on Netflix with subtitles.. What happens is when the subtitles Disappear the whole screen flickers (as if all the dimming zones went full brightness) and then goes back to normal. It's really bad... like unwatchable bad...

based on some conversations here maybe I should try different colors? Is that event an option? I'll need to investigate.
post #63759 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4985 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
It is interesting that you saw no banding or compression artifacts on GoT the Battle of Winterfell on your Sony. What Video processing settings do you have active? I normally don't activate video processing on my P65 or Sony 900F but if it helps HBO, I might. Thanks for any input.
What I saying is just the video processing power of the processor. I do have the gradation setting set to low but that's it..... everything else is off.

I tried on both Apple TV Amazon app and the built in Amazon app.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #63760 of 63867 Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
What I saying is just the video processing power of the processor. I do have the gradation setting set to low but that's it..... everything else is off.

The X1U chip is super impressive then, my soundbar has a smooth gradation feature but that just cleaned up the artifacting, banding was still there.

An incredible tv you have sir.

shoman94 likes this.
post #63761 of 63867 Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info Shoman, based on your info I set my Sony 900F (X1-Extreme processor) to low gradation and fixed HBO.

Now I just have to find a filter setting for my P65. Fortunately its only an issue with extreme compression of dark material like some parts of GoT like episode 3 the battle of Winterfell.
shoman94 likes this.
post #63762 of 63867 Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 AM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post

Streaming still suffers from color banding in dimly lit areas, especially HBO stuff.

I very rarely see that on NetFlix. Must be how content is processed and streamed. I guess HBO is over-doing the compression if you are 'regularly' are seeing it? Make sure Black Detail is Off and both Signal and especially Block Noise are Off. To help hide any banding, you'll have to give up some detail in the dark/black areas and crush black: Gamma at 2.2 or 2.4 and Brightness level down to as much as 45.

- Pj
post #63763 of 63867 Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 AM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post

For me, I watch Star Trek: Enterprise on NetFlix, with subtitles. What happens is, when the subtitles disappear, the whole screen flickers (as if all the dimming zones went full brightness) and then goes back to normal. It's really bad. Like unwatchable bad.

Based on some conversations here maybe I should try different colors? Is that even an option?

Ha! I'm also currently watching Star Trek: Enterprise. Before you cringe and throw stones my way, try to watch one show with the Dimming Off, Brightness down to 45. Adjust Backlight how bright you prefer. There will be no screen/Backlight flickers with Dimming Off. The pinpoint stars will be brighter. It'll look like you're watching a quasi-HDR with bright-peaks booming through, right down the stars. When Dimming is on, one has to have the Backlight cranked higher to compensate for Auto-Dimming's overall darkening of the image. The Backlight setting will be need to set higher or lower, depending upon content to get the best dynamic punch. Otherwise, a once-set, leave-it-alone setting will end up with some content rather 'dull' at times.

You can set SubTitle Options with the NetFlix App or on the www.NetFlix.com site. Experiment with sizes and colors. I have Yellow Text over a Black-solid Block. I think having the SubTitles over a solid block background helps with the Backlight flickering with Dimming On. Once a NetFlix Option change is made, it doesn't happen right away. There is a delay for the setting change to take place. (Minutes? Hours?)

- Pj
JamHandMan likes this.
post #63764 of 63867 Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Ha! I'm also currently watching Star Trek: Enterprise. Before you cringe and throw stones my way, try to watch one show with the Dimming Off, Brightness down to 45. Adjust Backlight how bright you prefer. There will be no screen/Backlight flickers with Dimming Off. The pinpoint stars will be brighter. It'll look like you're watching a quasi-HDR with bright-peaks booming through, right down the stars. When Dimming is on, one has to have the Backlight cranked higher to compensate for Auto-Dimming's overall darkening of the image. The Backlight setting will be need to set higher or lower, depending upon content to get the best dynamic punch. Otherwise, a once-set, leave-it-alone setting will end up with some content rather 'dull' at times.

You can set SubTitle Options with the NetFlix App or on the www.NetFlix.com site. Experiment with sizes and colors. I have Yellow Text over a Black-solid Block. I think having the SubTitles over a solid block background helps with the Backlight flickering with Dimming On. Once a NetFlix Option change is made, it doesn't happen right away. There is a delay for the setting change to take place. (Minutes? Hours?)

- Pj
interesting. I'll try out this settings. Something else I noticed... I'm also watching Deep Space Nine with subtitles and this issue does not happen. Maybe because DS9 is under 720p resolution? I wouldn't think that matters... Thanks for the tips.
post #63765 of 63867 Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I very rarely see that on NetFlix. Must be how content is processed and streamed. I guess HBO is over-doing the compression if you are 'regularly' are seeing it? Make sure Black Detail is Off and both Signal and especially Block Noise are Off. To help hide any banding, you'll have to give up some detail in the dark/black areas and crush black: Gamma at 2.2 or 2.4 and Brightness level down to as much as 45.

- Pj
Yea netflix is fine, HBO is terrible for their compression. And yea my isp does that for their cable boxes and it just crushes all the blacks n makes things unwatchable. Thanks for the input tho.

post #63766 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, first post here in the forums. Been reading through this thread and skimming pages. Lots of valuable information.
My current setup is a P65-C1 with SB36512-F6 (5.1.2). Bought the P65 about a year ago on closeout and the sound bar last weekend was a Best Buy open box that I couldn't pass up on during my sound bar hunt.

Didn't see anything definitive as Netflix with Dolby Vision and Atmos on a P65-C1. Amazon (Jack Ryan) and a plethora on Vudu have worked. Bringing both.

Via my laptop, plugged into sound bar (HDMI) I can get HDR10 pass through and Atmos sound, once I discover drivers or an update for that I'm sure it's capable of Dolby Vision pass through up the ARC. It be sure nice if the Native Application worked.

My other work around would probably be waiting for the PS5 (November?) or one of the Sony Blu-Ray players with native Netflix app, hooking that to the HDMI in and bypassing the native smartcast apps altogether. Currently my PS4 will send Atmos to the sound bar (bitstream) with blue-rays. Aquaman and Overlord good flicks for it. Next step would be Blu-Ray player with apps and Dolby's suite.

All said 5.1 has been nice either way and the visual of Dolby Vision outweighs the .2 that Atmos brings thus far using the app built into SmarCast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_161954_1558097919364.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	2567894  
blatz8 likes this.
post #63767 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Vizio and Apple Airplay

@VizioService

Well the latest Vizio 6.0.18 firmware lists Airplay as an input option and Apple 12.3 OS includes the new AppleTV app that works with TVs.... but I'm not seeing it work yet. I get a code from Apple to link to my P65-C1 which the TV accepts but doesn't connect according to my iPhone. Maybe the beta folks are having better luck.
post #63768 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
@VizioService

Well the latest Vizio 6.0.18 firmware lists Airplay as an input option and Apple 12.3 OS includes the new AppleTV app that works with TVs.... but I'm not seeing it work yet. I get a code from Apple to link to my P65-C1 which the TV accepts but doesn't connect according to my iPhone. Maybe the beta folks are having better luck.
Have you previously been on the Apple Airplay Beta firmware? From the television I have tested on this firmware there should not be an Airplay input available.
post #63769 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
Have you previously been on the Apple Airplay Beta firmware? From the television I have tested on this firmware there should not be an Airplay input available.
Thanks, that probably explains it. I signed up for the Apple & Vizio beta programs but chickened out and never installed any beta software on my Apple devices.
post #63770 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1751
@VizioService I will say that I am on the beta with firmware 7.0.0.1.SEM, and ever since iOS 12.3 came out, AirPlay no longer connects for me. Do I have to wait for the next iOS beta firmware?
post #63771 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
@VizioService I will say that I am on the beta with firmware 7.0.0.1.SEM, and ever since iOS 12.3 came out, AirPlay no longer connects for me. Do I have to wait for the next iOS beta firmware?
With the release of 12.3 to the public, the public version removes the beta profile from the iOS build. Since we are still in a beta on our TV's this build is required. In order to use AirPlay 2 and HomeKit functionality you would need to downgrade to iOS 12.3 (build 6) or wait until Apple releases the next beta version which should be soon.
puddy77 likes this.
post #63772 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Green View Post
My other work around would probably be waiting for the PS5 (November?)
The likelyhood of a PS5 this year is 0%.

Reveals are usually done during big conferences like E3 (next month, btw), in which they aren't even participating in this year.

If they unveil a PS5, it will likely be during Fall at the earliest, and reveals are usually done many, many months before actual release. So don't expect a PS5 until next year at the earliest. Personally, I believe they will reveal it at the end of this year to release late next year, if not the beginning of 2021.

Mad Lust Envy
post #63773 of 63867 Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
The likelyhood of a PS5 this year is 0%.

Reveals are usually done during big conferences like E3 (next month, btw), in which they aren't even participating in this year.

If they unveil a PS5, it will likely be during Fall at the earliest, and reveals are usually done many, many months before actual release. So don't expect a PS5 until next year at the earliest. Personally, I believe they will reveal it at the end of this year to release late next year, if not the beginning of 2021.
This is going off topic but consoles generally follow a 7 year release cycle. We would be technically due for an announcement either this fall before holiday season or next fall. Coupled with the announcement that Sony and Microsoft are working together on Sony's online/cloud gaming segment, along with Sony not being at E3, it is plausible that it could be announced soon.

Now back to P-series stuff

post #63774 of 63867 Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
This video compares the Quantum with the 2017 OLED but they say the Quantum will not have a 75" model but only up to 65". It may be worth waiting another year or two to see if they make a 75" Quantum model.

https://youtu.be/HibyRF6I5rs
They are releasing the P Series Quantum X in a 75" model so it will be tempting for me but it's only been 3 years since my last P series Vizio purchase. I think it would be great if they did a comparison between the 2019 Quantum X and the 2019 LG or Sony OLED.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #63775 of 63867 Old 05-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love this tv

Im have this tv for a week now and im loving it, coming from 2 plasma. Yes the viewing angles are bad and the os is not the best but with my setting im pretty much in aw, still playing with color for more punch and backlight, this is new for me.

Not having hdmi problems right now but im only switching between 2, gonna plug my ps4 soon, even if its not the pro
post #63776 of 63867 Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
With the release of 12.3 to the public, the public version removes the beta profile from the iOS build. Since we are still in a beta on our TV's this build is required. In order to use AirPlay 2 and HomeKit functionality you would need to downgrade to iOS 12.3 (build 6) or wait until Apple releases the next beta version which should be soon.
Apple pushed out a new iOS 12.4 beta last night (after Vizio sent out a mass email about rolling back to the previous beta) and AirPlay is working again.
naustin likes this.
post #63777 of 63867 Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:

- Pj
I wanted to reply with my findings and determines that setting the backlight to 0 and brightness to 50 works great for me (with FALD off) while watching shows with subtitles... I need to try this setting watching some dark movies to see how it goes... The dark night comes to mind... Thanks again.
post #63778 of 63867 Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apple pushed out a new iOS 12.4 beta last night (after Vizio sent out a mass email about rolling back to the previous beta) and AirPlay is working again.
This is getting frustrating because I think I have everything I need to test but the iOS device still doesn't see the Vizio when trying to connect via Airplay 2. What is Apple Homekit and what do I need to install this? Is it another app to install on the iOS device or is it an app that comes with the Vizio?

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #63779 of 63867 Old 05-21-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
This is getting frustrating because I think I have everything I need to test but the iOS device still doesn't see the Vizio when trying to connect via Airplay 2. What is Apple Homekit and what do I need to install this? Is it another app to install on the iOS device or is it an app that comes with the Vizio?
Did you follow all the directions? https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

Homekit is the thing to control the Vizio with Siri voice control, similar to Alexa and Google Assistant. I don't use any voice control, so I can't comment. I only use AirPlay.
post #63780 of 63867 Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you follow all the directions? https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

Homekit is the thing to control the Vizio with Siri voice control, similar to Alexa and Google Assistant. I don't use any voice control, so I can't comment. I only use AirPlay.
I did everything except for signing up for the Vizio beta program. I've had a lot of back luck using Vizio betas in the past so I'll pass for now. I was thinking is was in the final firmware for Vizio and not still in beta. Thanks for the response.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page