Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288589Likes

post #64291 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
No, we really don't know what is causing the problem yet.

Personally, I'd try the new cable with the ATV plugged directly into the TV and see what happens before replacing the ATV or assuming it's the TV. The AVR could also be a suspect in your situation, so have you verified that it also has current firmware?
Good call man, I'll do a direct connect and use the unopened cable just to see. I have not verified AVR firmware, only TV and ATV 4K, I'll absolutely do that...at work now, but will report back in a few hours most definitely. Thanks so much man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64292 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
No, we really don't know what is causing the problem yet.

Personally, I'd try the new cable with the ATV plugged directly into the TV and see what happens before replacing the ATV or assuming it's the TV. The AVR could also be a suspect in your situation, so have you verified that it also has current firmware?

Ok, so not sure if all I had to do was turn on Frame & Range matching on, but now it’s not flickering. I do notice that watching “servant” now with Frame & Range matching on, its playing it at HDR10 and not Dolby Vision, while The Mandalorian played in Dolby Vision. So I’m thinking the tearing was because I was using Dolby Vision for HDR10 Content. Just writing this all out so it can help someone else that may need to turn these settings on to fix the flickering/tearing. Working great now! I also verified Denon had updated firmware and ran Apple TV HDMI test. Thanks again for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naustin likes this.
post #64293 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walddo View Post
OSo I’m thinking the tearing was because I was using Dolby Vision for HDR10 Content. Just writing this all out so it can help someone else that may need to turn these settings on to fix the flickering/tearing. Working great now! I also verified Denon had updated firmware and ran Apple TV HDMI test. Thanks again for the help!
FWIW, the ATV **can** output **any** source (SDR, HDR10, DV) as 4K 60fps DolbyVision. It does all the tone mapping and scaling internally. So if the tearing is because you are using DV for HDR10 content you have a bad ATV unit. But we still don't know which component is causing the tearing.

I'm guessing that something in your chain does not like 60fps 4K FV but is happy with a lower frame rate, and thus, lower bandwidth.

Glad the work-around is working for you now, and purists would want everything output "native" anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64294 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
FWIW, the ATV **can** output **any** source (SDR, HDR10, DV) as 4K 60fps DolbyVision. It does all the tone mapping and scaling internally. So if the tearing is because you are using DV for HDR10 content you have a bad ATV unit. But we still don't know which component is causing the tearing.

I'm guessing that something in your chain does not like 60fps 4K FV but is happy with a lower frame rate, and thus, lower bandwidth.

Glad the work-around is working for you now, and purists would want everything output "native" anyway.

Well The Mandalorian seems to play Dolby Vision no problem. Wouldn’t that indicate DV works correctly or am I misunderstanding? Are you saying that the ATV should not tear, set on 4K DV 60hz and with matching frame and range off? And if it tears with the frame and range matching off, but doesn’t tear with it on, its a faulty ATV?

post #64295 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Meant to add this...it is outputting HDR 10 and DV correctly on 4k DV 60hz with the frame and matching range on. If it’s off, it just tries to do everything in DV and I think that’s the tearing. Sorry my original response didn’t really state I understand that I needed to have dynamic range and frame on, obviously. Makes sense issues would happen with using DV for everything....

post #64296 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Makes sense issues would happen with using DV for everything....
Actually, no.

What I'm saying is everything should play fine, in theory, on the Vizio via the ATV set to a fixed 60hz 4K DV output. SDR, HDR10, or DV sources do not matter. It should all play just fine with zero tearing as the ATV internally converts everything to DV. And the Vizio should display a 60fps 4K DV signal with no issues. It just receives the signal and displays the result.

With dynamic range and frame rate matching on, the ATV switches to the native source material fps and color space and that's typically 24fps (or sometime 30) combined with wither SDR, HDR10, or DV color space. This reduction in transmitted frame rate reduces the bandwidth and processing required immensely.

If you are happy with everything, stop now and enjoy your setup.

But if you want to leave the ATV in 4K 60fps DV, you still don't know what is causing the tearing.
blatz8 likes this.

post #64297 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, no.

What I'm saying is everything should play fine, in theory, on the Vizio via the ATV set to a fixed 60hz 4K DV output. SDR, HDR10, or DV sources do not matter. It should all play just fine with zero tearing as the ATV internally converts everything to DV. And the Vizio should display a 60fps 4K DV signal with no issues. It just receives the signal and displays the result.

With dynamic range and frame rate matching on, the ATV switches to the native source material fps and color space and that's typically 24fps (or sometime 30) combined with wither SDR, HDR10, or DV color space. This reduction in transmitted frame rate reduces the bandwidth and processing required immensely.

If you are happy with everything, stop now and enjoy your setup.

But if you want to leave the ATV in 4K 60fps DV, you still don't know what is causing the tearing.

Ahhh ok. Thank you so much for that detailed response. I understand now. I’m fine with the setup now, but I think I’ll troubleshoot before my return/exchange window is up to verify if the ATV is faulty.

Is it worthwhile to have the ATV convert all content to DV with Frame and Range matching off?

post #64298 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Ahhh ok. Thank you so much for that detailed response. I understand now. I’m fine with the setup now, but I think I’ll troubleshoot before my return/exchange window is up to verify if the ATV is faulty.

Is it worthwhile to have the ATV convert all content to DV with Frame and Range matching off?

For the best picture quality have the ATV set to 4K 60hz SDR and have match content and frame rate on.

It does take 1-2 seconds when swapping so there will be a black screen then. But overall it's worth it because I find with SDR content highlights are blown out and anything that isn't 60hz native suffers from the soap opera effect thanks to the apple tvs interpolation.

Anime looks great tho

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
naustin likes this.
post #64299 of 64411 Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
For the best picture quality have the ATV set to 4K 60hz SDR and have match content and frame rate on.

It does take 1-2 seconds when swapping so there will be a black screen then. But overall it's worth it because I find with SDR content highlights are blown out and anything that isn't 60hz native suffers from the soap opera effect thanks to the apple tvs interpolation.

Anime looks great tho

Gotcha, I changed to this and no tearing or flickering.

Did lots of testing with just 4K DV 60hz and match content and frame rate off and pretty much all variations of different cables, different inputs on tv, direct connection to tv without AVR and connection through AVR all eventually had a flicker within a few minutes.

It’s been stated that it could be a faulty ATV (if I cannot run 4K DV 60hz with match content and frame rate off without screen flicker/tear) but my TV already has so many quirks with random restarts and screen freezes on boot up that require a hard reboot on the TV, I find it really hard to believe the brand new ATV 4K is at fault and not the 3 year old TV that already displays errors/bugs.

post #64300 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s been stated that it could be a faulty ATV (if I cannot run 4K DV 60hz with match content and frame rate off without screen flicker/tear) but my TV already has so many quirks with random restarts and screen freezes on boot up that require a hard reboot on the TV, I find it really hard to believe the brand new ATV 4K is at fault and not the 3 year old TV that already displays errors/bugs.
All your other problems with the Vizio would have been helpful information in your first post about the ATV and tearing.

I’d suspect that the main board is going bad on the TV.

If you can find a replacement board it’s a pretty easy DIY swap or a trivial repair for a service guy. The worst part is removing the 28 (or so) screws on the back of the TV.

post #64301 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
All your other problems with the Vizio would have been helpful information in your first post about the ATV and tearing.

I’d suspect that the main board is going bad on the TV.

If you can find a replacement board it’s a pretty easy DIY swap or a trivial repair for a service guy. The worst part is removing the 28 (or so) screws on the back of the TV.

Haha my bad.

Honestly figured it was just common/accepted behavior for P65 owners. I’ve already had the main board replaced once for the white line. It was within warranty and so a tech came out and did it. The bugs came back with the 2nd board - just no more white line. Still have the freeze up and random restarts (which is the tv trying to fix itself as I understand it).

So I thought it was so common, not even worth mentioning lol.

If I can find a board for cheap I’ll try a self replace job, I’m in IT and I’m sure I can handle it, just kinda over this TV. Pretty image but the bugginess I’ve never experienced with any other TV brand. I have a LG OLED 2015 model and TCL 4K HDR to compare. Not trying to bash the brand or anything, just over it personally.

Do you know a board source or somewhere to point me in the direction of? Or even just the nomenclature, just “p65 main board”?

Thanks again man.

post #64302 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you know a board source or somewhere to point me in the direction of? Or even just the nomenclature, just “p65 main board”?
FWIW, I also replaced my main board. Search the thread and somewhere I posted some photos and part numbers. I paid $110 on eBay for a replacement board from a claimed damaged TV, and I believe the claim because the board only had the original Vizio firmware on it.

I don't know if you watched the replacement last time, but it's really a simple swap. The hardest part, no kidding, is removing a zillion screws on the back. Be careful to unplug the power switch before totally removing the back cover, but once the back is off everything is exposed. The board itself is totally exposed and easy to swap.

post #64303 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
FWIW, I also replaced my main board. Search the thread and somewhere I posted some photos and part numbers. I paid $110 on eBay for a replacement board from a claimed damaged TV, and I believe the claim because the board only had the original Vizio firmware on it.

I don't know if you watched the replacement last time, but it's really a simple swap. The hardest part, no kidding, is removing a zillion screws on the back. Be careful to unplug the power switch before totally removing the back cover, but once the back is off everything is exposed. The board itself is totally exposed and easy to swap.

Cool man. Yeah I watched him replace it, just a lot of screws. Thanks for the insight.

post #64304 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Was curious, I was just told SDR is the best way to view, is that because it’ll change to the native format for the media?

Have you found everything output as DV beneficial and do you not have frame and content match on?

Just curious to your feedback/thoughts.

post #64305 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Was curious, I was just told SDR is the best way to view, is that because it’ll change to the native format for the media?

Have you found everything output as DV beneficial and do you not have frame and content match on?

Just curious to your feedback/thoughts.
In a perfect would you would not want to unnecessarily change colorspace as it can introduce artifacts or suffer form poor conversion.

Native SDR content looks best displayed as SDR. Same for native HDR10 or DV. Ditto for frame rate conversions.

So a purist (>95% of AVS Forum) would want everything native all the time.

However, I leave the ATV in DV simply for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) as we have one main TV and it's also used by our young children. In fixed DV format the interface is fluid, and there are not blank pauses or audio gaps when the HDMI signal changes formats, and the I find the ATV does a decent job of the SDR-DV conversion compared to forcing HDR to be displayed as SDR.

When I want a "pure" streaming experience I'll set everything to native.

post #64306 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
In a perfect would you would not want to unnecessarily change colorspace as it can introduce artifacts or suffer form poor conversion.

Native SDR content looks best displayed as SDR. Same for native HDR10 or DV. Ditto for frame rate conversions.

So a purist (>95% of AVS Forum) would want everything native all the time.

However, I leave the ATV in DV simply for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) as we have one main TV and it's also used by our young children. In fixed DV format the interface is fluid, and there are not blank pauses or audio gaps when the HDMI signal changes formats, and the I find the ATV does a decent job of the SDR-DV conversion compared to forcing HDR to be displayed as SDR.

When I want a "pure" streaming experience I'll set everything to native.

Gotcha, so you leave the match frame and content off to remove the 2-4 black screen pauses for your wife and kid....makes sense.

Appreciate the feedback. I basically figured people recommend 4K SDR just so each media is switched to its native format and shown natively, just wanted to hear your thoughts and not assume. Thanks again for your time and responses man. Much appreciated.

post #64307 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Red alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat008 View Post

My P50-C1 is now unwatchable when HDR-Dolby kicks in. It is so dark on calibrated default setting, that raising the Backlight to 100 does not help at all. It is still dull, dim, and washed-out. I've never had this problem before.

Well, guess what? I now have (did?) the same problem as you on my P50-C1! I don't know why it only now shows-up. I did a Soft Reset and now The picture is gone. The onscreen NetFlix graphics are there, just no picture when HDR-Dolby kicks-in. This is with any HDR-Dolby content on NetFlix be it the mobile App or the onscreen 'App'.

@VizioService - What you say?

- Pj
post #64308 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5307 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Well, guess what? I now have (did?) the same problem as you on my P50-C1! I don't know why it only now shows-up. I did a Soft Reset and now The picture is gone. The onscreen NetFlix graphics are there, just no picture when HDR-Dolby kicks-in. This is with any HDR-Dolby content on NetFlix be it the mobile App or the onscreen 'App'.

@VizioService - What you say?

- Pj
Try preforming a full reset. Sometimes things get messed up with firmware updates. The p50 may be more sensitive.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #64309 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post

Try preforming a full reset. Sometimes things get messed up with firmware updates. The P50-C1 may be more sensitive.

Doesn't look promising:

Factory Reset.

- Pj
post #64310 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Doesn't look promising:

Factory Reset.

- Pj
Makes me happy I never reset my set after this update (just didn't have time to recalibrate, so left it alone).
post #64311 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
I forget, can we handle HLG content now? Fox Sports is transmitting HDR using that format for Thursday Night Football.
post #64312 of 64411 Old 12-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I forget, can we handle HLG content now? Fox Sports is transmitting HDR using that format for Thursday Night Football.
I know the HLG patterns and test images from R. Masciola worked for calibrating. I haven't tried other sources yet.
naustin likes this.
post #64313 of 64411 Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Question Vizio P65-e1: HLG or no HLG?

I've tried to scour this thread for an answer but I cannot find the straight yes or no answer. So:

Can my Vizio P65-e1 handle HLG...... or not?

Thanks all!!

Have a great day and be kind to each other,
-B
Denon AVR-X4400H AND VIZIO P65-E1
Polk PSW505 and FOCAL Cube subs, Polk RTA 11TL towers anchoring a 7.2.4 Setup, Philips BDP7502 4K/UHD Player, FiOS One Gbps Internet
post #64314 of 64411 Old 12-07-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Quoted: 5307 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
I've tried to scour this thread for an answer but I cannot find the straight yes or no answer. So:

Can my Vizio P65-e1 handle HLG...... or not?

Thanks all!!
When I had my P75-C1 it did after a specific firmware. So unless something has changed I would say yes. I think it can only do it via HDMI though?

naustin likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #64315 of 64411 Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
Quote:
When I had my P75-C1 it did after a specific firmware. So unless something has changed I would say yes. I think it can only do it via HDMI though?

It works via USB as well. Using R.Mascior test patterns. I'm sure HLG will work via streaming, but I'm unaware of any material to test it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
naustin likes this.
post #64316 of 64411 Old 12-07-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
It works via USB as well. Using R.Mascior test patterns. I'm sure HLG will work via streaming, but I'm unaware of any material to test it.

FoxSports Thursday Night Football.
post #64317 of 64411 Old 12-07-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Supposedly FoxSports got their HLG HDR transmission issues fix for Thursday's game. Because of previous FS issues I didn't try the App and just watched their 4K feed on my satellite receiver.
post #64318 of 64411 Old 12-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Help, my P65 has started crashing regularly. It freezes on power up with V logo, and can take up to 5 minutes to become responsive. It usually just turns itself back off . (Power and input buttons in panel or remote do nothing). I have turning CEC on and off, pulling all the hdmi cables out...keeps happening. It’s always crashes occasionally, but seems more since November firmware update. Anyone else having this? Any suggestions? My wife now wants me to return it to Costco (still under warranty I believe) , and I’m starting to agree.

The quest for the PSFH is never-ending...
post #64319 of 64411 Old 12-09-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisad View Post
Help, my P65 has started crashing regularly. It freezes on power up with V logo, and can take up to 5 minutes to become responsive. It usually just turns itself back off . (Power and input buttons in panel or remote do nothing). I have turning CEC on and off, pulling all the hdmi cables out...keeps happening. It’s always crashes occasionally, but seems more since November firmware update. Anyone else having this? Any suggestions? My wife now wants me to return it to Costco (still under warranty I believe) , and I’m starting to agree.

Perform a factory reset.

post #64320 of 64411 Old 12-09-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Can confirm it works through HDMI still.

shoman94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page