Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 2147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288722Likes

post #64381 of 64739 Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is driving me insane. I bought an Amazon Fire Cube and everything was working great except there appeared to be some handshake issues where if I didn't turn on my receiver (Denon S540bt) shortly after my TV (2016 Vizio P series) the fire cube refused to work. I thought the fire stick 4k might not have these issues since it's plugged directly I to the receiver.
Well the fire stick 4k won't even work when plugged I to one of the 3 4K HDCP 2.2 inputs on my Denon. When I plugged I to I to "media player", a non 4k input, I received video from the fire stick 4k. I then changed the video resolution setting on the fire stick from auto to 1080p. When set to that I plugged it into a 4k input and I got a picture. Why can I not get it to output in 4k when with all the same settings on my TV and receiver when the fire cube would cooperate with it. Also the one thing that consistently gets the fire cube to work if I didn't get a connection with the first startup is to de select full UHD color on the vizio then reselect it. Really not sure which device is causing all these issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64382 of 64739 Old 12-31-2019, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
@minx88 are you using Certified premium cables from your AVR to the Vizio and on the FireTV cube? It sounds like the FireTV stick is "negotiating down" to something your current HDMI cable can handle. Monoprice makes inexpensive 18 Gbps cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	2662186  
post #64383 of 64739 Old 01-01-2020, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post
This is driving me insane. I bought an Amazon Fire Cube and everything was working great except there appeared to be some handshake issues where if I didn't turn on my receiver (Denon S540bt) shortly after my TV (2016 Vizio P series) the fire cube refused to work. I thought the fire stick 4k might not have these issues since it's plugged directly I to the receiver.
Well the fire stick 4k won't even work when plugged I to one of the 3 4K HDCP 2.2 inputs on my Denon. When I plugged I to I to "media player", a non 4k input, I received video from the fire stick 4k. I then changed the video resolution setting on the fire stick from auto to 1080p. When set to that I plugged it into a 4k input and I got a picture. Why can I not get it to output in 4k when with all the same settings on my TV and receiver when the fire cube would cooperate with it. Also the one thing that consistently gets the fire cube to work if I didn't get a connection with the first startup is to de select full UHD color on the vizio then reselect it. Really not sure which device is causing all these issues.
1) ensure you're using HDMI premium certified cables in every link. Monoprice ones from Amazon will do
2) ensure your avr has the latest firmware installed. Check avr manufacturers website for that.
3) ensure tv is updated and UHD color on
4) ensure full bandwidth is enabled on the HDMI ports ( sometimes it's not idk),
5) factory reset devices. Start with TV, then Denon, then devices

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64384 of 64739 Old 01-01-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
Quote:
1) ensure you're using HDMI premium certified cables in every link. Monoprice ones from Amazon will do
2) ensure your avr has the latest firmware installed. Check avr manufacturers website for that.
3) ensure tv is updated and UHD color on
4) ensure full bandwidth is enabled on the HDMI ports ( sometimes it's not idk),
5) factory reset devices. Start with TV, then Denon, then devices

I am using Amazon Basic high speed cables that I just bought. I checked Denon's website and it stated there were no firmware updates available. Vizio is updates with UHD color turned on for all inputs. How do I ensure full bandwidth in enabled on the ports? I have not done factory resets so I will try that.
post #64385 of 64739 Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Seems to be something with turning on/off UHD color. When this is disabled, the TV shows HDR10 at 1080p but if I try to output 4k HDR with UHD color enabled the screen goes to static. Still not sure if this is a Vizio or Denon issue.
post #64386 of 64739 Old 01-01-2020, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seems to be something with turning on/off UHD color. When this is disabled, the TV shows HDR10 at 1080p but if I try to output 4k HDR with UHD color enabled the screen goes to static. Still not sure if this is a Vizio or Denon issue.
Having UHD Color enabled on the ARC port causes problems for my with Samsung 7.1.4 soundbar, but I have UHD working on all other ports. Have you tried directly connecting the Cube or Stick directly to an UHD enabled port on the Vizio? If that works you have narrowed the problem to the ARC port and/or AVR.
post #64387 of 64739 Old 01-01-2020, 10:47 AM

So it was the HDMI cables causing the issues even though amazon states their cables can handle 4k HDR.
naustin and blatz8 like this.
post #64388 of 64739 Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
So it was the HDMI cables causing the issues even though amazon states their cables can handle 4k HDR.
Monoprice does cables right. That's why you will see Monoprice cables recommended time and again. They are super cheap and if they have the hologram then they are Premium certified. That's all I run for my A/V needs, and also why my whole house is wired with Monoprice CAT 6.
taz291819 and blatz8 like this.

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
post #64389 of 64739 Old 01-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
3.5 refers to the smartcast version. It's just a UI refresh. It is not a full firmware update so it will get pushed automatically.

If you want to try manually pushing it (results will vary)
Change from smartcast to any HDMI input.
Go to settings>system>reset &admin>soft power cycle.
Switch back to smartcast input and it may give a grey screen with some sort of update message appear in the bottom corner.

Tried soft reset nothing happened. I still seem to be on cast 1.34.xxxx what do you all have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quest for the PSFH is never-ending...
post #64390 of 64739 Old 01-03-2020, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
I'm beginning to wonder if Input HDMI Full UHD color is necessary for Dolby Vision compared to HDR10. It appears to over saturate DV content. Watching UHD Bluray disc, there is a level of sharpness detail retained with it off then on.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #64391 of 64739 Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if Input HDMI Full UHD color is necessary for Dolby Vision compared to HDR10. It appears to over saturate DV content. Watching UHD Bluray disc, there is a level of sharpness detail retained with it off then on.

Well Vizio says you need it on. https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US but that hasn't been my experience if you are not running HDR either flavor at less than 60 fps. I had to turn it off on my ARC port and HDR10 & DV discs (24 fps) and my AppleTV4K (Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc at 24 fps) work fine. Luckily I don't need 60 fps on my ARC port. Roku which does Netflix at 60fps is on an UHD Color enabled TV port.
post #64392 of 64739 Old 01-03-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Well Vizio says you need it on. https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US but that hasn't been my experience if you are not running HDR either flavor at less than 60 fps. I had to turn it off on my ARC port and HDR10 & DV discs (24 fps) and my AppleTV4K (Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc at 24 fps) work fine. Luckily I don't need 60 fps on my ARC port. Roku which does Netflix at 60fps is on an UHD Color enabled TV port.
Dolby documentation makes no mention of any form of WCG or Full UHD HDMI based requirement. COD MW on my PS4 with Full UHD Color off, its dark, and bright areas get blown out. Contrast is weak, and detail lost.

DV is the opposite for all UHD Bluray disc. FUHDC on and content is dark, color is over saturated, brights are blown out. DV doesn't require HDMI 2.0a HDR10 disc based content does require it and FUHDC turned on.

post #64393 of 64739 Old 01-03-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5751 Post(s)
Liked: 3845
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Dolby documentation makes no mention of any form of WCG or Full UHD HDMI based requirement. COD MW on my PS4 with Full UHD Color off, its dark, and bright areas get blown out. Contrast is weak, and detail lost.

DV is the opposite for all UHD Bluray disc. FUHDC on and content is dark, color is over saturated, brights are blown out. DV doesn't require HDMI 2.0a HDR10 disc based content does require it and FUHDC turned on.

Dolby Vision requires HDMI 1.4b or higher. You only need Full Bandwidth enabled for greater than 24fps. As far as I know some streamers require Full Bandwidth to be one for any 4k such as the Nvidia Shield.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
naustin likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #64394 of 64739 Old 01-04-2020, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
P series picture issue

Hi all, just found the site, first post,

I own the P series P702ui-B3
Love it, I have had it for 5 years or so.
Lately it is acting strange, when I first get up and turn the tv on, I get no Vizio logo, sound and back light but no picture.

nce I turn it off and then start it again, it starts normally, every time.
I contacted Vizio support they had me unplug it and press the power button, plug it back in and then re start it, which did work, but I wont know if it worked for sure until tomorrow morning after it has sat for several hours and I go to power it on for the first time of the day.
I do not work on tvs or know much about electronic repair, however it seems to me that once it warms up a little it is fine, which is why if I shut it of now and then re start it it seems to be fine, but in the morning after sitting for 5 to 8 hours it seems to need a second try to start.

I am wondering if this is a known issue or if others have had this same problem with their P series sets or not.
I would need a repair tech out of warranty to work on it but if that is what it takes then that is what I will look into.
I just was hoping to find out others have run across this and there is a simple fix or inexpensive repair that people are aware of.
Thanks very much for reading my post and for any information that you might be able to offer me.

Lump
post #64395 of 64739 Old 01-04-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumper View Post
Hi all, just found the site, first post,

I own the P series P702ui-B3
Love it, I have had it for 5 years or so.
Lately it is acting strange, when I first get up and turn the tv on, I get no Vizio logo, sound and back light but no picture....
Sorry you have an earlier model. You should try this thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-s-thread.html
post #64396 of 64739 Old 01-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Oh ok, sorry about that I didnt realize.
Thanks
Ill check in the thread you linked, should I re post there or will this post be moved?
Ill re post it I just dont want to double post of that is against the rules and mods prefer to move posts, I havent been around here very long at all so I just dont want to upset anything.
Thanks again,
Lump
post #64397 of 64739 Old 01-05-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumper View Post
Oh ok, sorry about that I didnt realize.
Thanks
Ill check in the thread you linked, should I re post there or will this post be moved?
Ill re post it I just dont want to double post of that is against the rules and mods prefer to move posts, I havent been around here very long at all so I just dont want to upset anything.
Thanks again,
Lump
I would suggest you repost.
post #64398 of 64739 Old 01-08-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Per CES and Vizio's press release SmartCast 4.0 and a new voice remote should be coming this year items that should work on "TVs going back to 2016".
https://www.vizio.com/en/news/2020/j...o-voice-remote
blatz8 likes this.
post #64399 of 64739 Old 01-08-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since edit still doesn't work...
A picture of the new Remote is embedded in this article. https://www.techhive.com/article/351...-good-now.html
blatz8 likes this.
post #64400 of 64739 Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Per CES and Vizio's press release SmartCast 4.0 and a new voice remote should be coming this year items that should work on "TVs going back to 2016".
https://www.vizio.com/en/news/2020/j...o-voice-remote
That's nice and all, but it would be nice if all the hardware features worked before they focus on the software. But this is Vizio we're talking about and it seems they have completely lost focus.

I will be home recovering from surgery over the next few months, if Clear Action doesn't work in a few months I will be submitting a warranty claim. I think well over a year for a feature to not to work is just cause, and now I have an acknowledgement in writing from someone who works at Vizio that there's a problem.
blatz8 likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #64401 of 64739 Old 01-09-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
That's nice and all, but it would be nice if all the hardware features worked before they focus on the software. But this is Vizio we're talking about and it seems they have completely lost focus.

I will be home recovering from surgery over the next few months, if Clear Action doesn't work in a few months I will be submitting a warranty claim. I think well over a year for a feature to not to work is just cause, and now I have an acknowledgement in writing from someone who works at Vizio that there's a problem.
Here's hoping for a quick recovery.
naustin likes this.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #64402 of 64739 Old 01-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Here's hoping for a quick recovery.
Thanks.

I have my Sony 65XBR900E mounted on the wall in front of my bed so I won't have to think about Clear Action not working.
naustin likes this.

post #64403 of 64739 Old 01-13-2020, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I've read a lot of this thread. In summary a 2016 P65-C1....
TLR how can I get both Dolby Vision and Atmos at the same time for Netflix?

From the press briefs, sounds like it will be getting the SmartCast 4.0 update at some point?

It's really hard to get a combo for this TV to have both Dolby Vision/Atmos via Netflix.
I can do HDR10/Atmos via PC App.
I can get Vision/5.1 via onboard App.

Also I know the built-in Netflix doesn't have Atmos capability (despite Vudu, Amazon).

So it's sounds like ATV (Apple TV) is the only option for Streaming Netflix in Vision/Atmos at this time.

For the all inclusive Dolby Vision/Atmos experience to include UHD Blue-Ray, and Streaming Xbox One X (maybe OneS too?)
However I came across a Forbes article that claimed otherwise: forbes<DOT>com/sites/johnarcher/2019/04/01/xbox-one-dolby-vision-problems-vizio-gives-its-final-response/

I guess since I'm in the market I'll try the Xbox One S and see if it works and report back, as it's an older article prior to many updates.
blatz8 likes this.
post #64404 of 64739 Old 01-13-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Green View Post

From the press briefs, sounds like it will be getting the SmartCast 4.0 update at some point?

It's really hard to get a combo for this TV to have both Dolby Vision/Atmos via Netflix.

Also I know the built-in Netflix doesn't have Atmos capability (despite Vudu, Amazon).

So it's sounds like ATV (Apple TV) is the only option for Streaming Netflix in Vision/Atmos at this time.

For the all inclusive Dolby Vision/Atmos experience to include UHD Blue-Ray, and Streaming Xbox One X (maybe OneS too?)
However I came across a Forbes article that claimed otherwise: forbes<DOT>com/sites/johnarcher/2019/04/01/xbox-one-dolby-vision-problems-vizio-gives-its-final-response/

I guess since I'm in the market I'll try the Xbox One S and see if it works and report back, as it's an older article prior to many updates.
The Xbox One outputs a newer version of Dolby Vision than this TV supports. It says so when you set it up.
post #64405 of 64739 Old 01-13-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Green View Post

Buy a 2019 Nvidia Shield. I'm not even sure about that because I know the last Shield update caused DV problems with Vizio TVs.

I'd buy a new Nvidia Shield but I have the 2017/2015 models and I don't really think DV+Atmos on Netflix is worth the upgrade.

post #64406 of 64739 Old 01-13-2020, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Buy a 2019 Nvidia Shield. I'm not even sure about that because I know the last Shield update caused DV problems with Vizio TVs.

I'd buy a new Nvidia Shield but I have the 2017/2015 models and I don't really think DV+Atmos on Netflix is worth the upgrade.
The DV problem with Vizio's is with the 2018/2019 models (ones that took the HDR10+ support update). The earlier models are fine.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #64407 of 64739 Old 01-13-2020, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Looks like some YUGE gaming improvements in the new models.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #64408 of 64739 Old 01-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Looks like some YUGE gaming improvements in the new models.
They took ours away over a year ago when they broke Clear Action so anything is an improvement.

post #64409 of 64739 Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please

So does anyone know how to get a gnat out of a screen? Somehow one of them go into my screen and it's near the center of my P65... I'm not even sure what layer it would be between, but I'm pretty sure it's dead.

Not sure if I can take this thing apart and try to get it out or what. I tried using a pretty powerful datavac duster to blow it out through the top holes but no dice there.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield

Last edited by reallynotnick; 01-14-2020 at 05:29 PM.
post #64410 of 64739 Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
So does anyone know how to get a gnat out of a screen? Somehow one of them go into my screen and it's near the center of my P65... I'm not even sure what layer it would be between, but I'm pretty sure it's dead.

Not sure if I can take this thing apart and try to get it out or what. I tried using a pretty powerful datavac duster to blow it out through the top holes but no dice there.

If you do a search on my username you will find a ton of posts where this happened to my P75. I even called a professional TV repair shop and there was nothing they could do. Vizio makes these displays so that you can't remove the front screen if an insect or anything gets stuck in there.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page