Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 338 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288471Likes

post #10111 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Toboggan View Post
I was just made aware of the Vizio spyware that's enabled on the Vizio smart TV's by default. I find it immensely creepy.

Is there a way to turn it off on the P series?
Turn off Smart Interactivity under Reset & Admin
Ph8te, pjamesh and toonj64 like this.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 6.0.18.1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Best buy Magnolia Novi, MI,
Spoke extensively to sales rep named Kyle. He was well informed and knows his stuff. Has not had training yet on P-series. They have a 75". Which I thought looked good with DV content.

He said they are out of stock in the area for 65". He said these things are selling like hot cakes and is having to turn customers away. He is not sure when they will have stock in the area. Sounds like it may even be regional. Pretty crazy, when there is not a lot of advertising for this thing.

He is bummed the tablet is locked in a display case next to the TV. He wanted to know more about the tablet and be able to play with it. But I guess he does not have access to the tablet. Maybe after training. I explained to him most of the ins and outs. Which he seemed to already know. When we started the conversation, he was like the p-series is a good value tv. By the time we were done talking he seemed excited about it, said he wants to save up for one. Not sure if that was his opinion before hand.
post #10113 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzer4113 View Post
Yeah, I rarely watch anything in SD anymore. DTV has done a good job of converting most channels to HD. So, yeah, I only have 720 and 1080 checked.

Checking the resolution boxes only applies if you want the Directv box to upscale (Native Off).

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10114 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
Turn off Smart Interactivity under Reset & Admin
I have thought about adding a dedicated network, just to divorce P from possibly monitoring and or collecting any data passing on network for privacy and creepy reasons.

The thought is run cat 6 out of cable modem into a gigabit switch. Then supply 2 routers from switch.
Router A: Computers and tablets.
Router B: Home theater
------------------------------Modem
-----------------------------/-------\
------------------------RouterA----RouterB
----------------------------/----------\
---------------------Computers------P_Series & AVR

The thought is the data going back to the the Modem is encrypted or is in a form that makes it more difficult for the P-series to collect data off of the network.

What are your thoughts on this thesis?

Last edited by MichiganTim; 05-03-2016 at 09:00 PM.
post #10115 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTim View Post
I have thought about adding a dedicated network, just to divorce P from possibly monitoring and or collecting any data passing on network for privacy and creepy reasons.

The thought is run cat 6 out of cable modem into a gigabit switch. Then supply 2 routers from switch.
Modem
/ \
RouterA RouterB
/ \
Computers P_Series & AVR

The thought is the data going back to the the Modem is encrypted or is in a form that makes it more difficult for the P-series to collect data off of the network.

Yeah, I'm sure that wouldn't cause any problems at all.
Ph8te and toonj64 like this.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 6.0.18.1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #10116 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
I see you're still having problems .

If I understand this right , you have all gadgets direct into the tv and are just using the Denon for audio ?

Have you tried to see if you still have problems putting HDMI from Denon into input 2 on the vizio (to mechanically disable arc/Cec) and using optical for audio out ?

Read more of his posts. The only way he has been able to resolve the issues is by removing the Denon. If he has everything to the TV there are no issues.

Quote:

Modem

/ \

RouterA RouterB

/ \

Computers P_Series & AVR

I think if you are super worried, disconnect the TV from the internet. Otherwise, Vizio isn't gathering anything crazy, they just CAN, doesn't mean they are. It seems like a lot of work when 87668585958 other devices and companies have much more information on you and the devices you use.

You can segment your network so that xyz devices can't talk/see abc devices. This of course may cause other issues. Using two routers won't be possible as there would be a conflict when trying to set the router up for Internet access. You would need a second IP (some offer this) in order to make it work. If the cost, time and trouble are worth it to you then have at it.
toonj64 and GorillaBot like this.
post #10117 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
I did tons of testing with my M60 and you are right, inconsistent is the word.
The UFO test would sometimes be very clear, sometimes give quite bad image duplication and other times switch back and forth between the two. All this without even changing anything to the settings. One thing I liked to check but no one really got back to me to say what it did on their set, is scroll right full speed in the Netflix app. Quite an interesting test since sometimes the "posters" would be an unreadable blurry mess and other times it would be unbelievably clear. I found that switching picture modes when it was blurry and then switch back to my initial picture mode would "reboot" reduce judder/reduce blur and scrolling the movies would become clear again.
But since Vizio motion handling is dynamic, it decides on the fly if/how it needs to interpolate and it sometimes doesnt know what to do and it doesnt kick in untill something changes on screen or you switch inputs, modes, etc.

I fear that is simply how motion processing works although it can always be made better with firmware updates...
Yeah, this is a hell of an issue for me that I need Vizio to let us know if they're fixing it or not, because if not, I'm likely to just return the TV. I can't handle this TV without Clear Action (way too much LCD blur), and I can't handle it with Clear Action when it's behaving erratically (double image, etc). The only thing I can't believe people complain about is the flickering, which I find incredibly hard to notice. Clear Action motion when it works is so much better than without, I don't know how people recommend this TV for gaming WITHOUT it.

When it works, I'm super happy. When it doesn't, it's a mess.

It's a shame that this is essentially my only option for great motion blur handling (when it works) and deep blacks.

My other options are much too expensive.

I miss my plasma. Only wish it was 4K.

Also, the tablet remote is stupid, and Vizio should feel bad by not allowing picture tweaks with a physical remote. It is an incredible hassle adjusting the settings on the stupid tablet. Ugh.

Can OP confirm if Vizio is working to fix stuff like Blur reduction being tied to Dejudder (as in Dejudder has to be set to at least 1 for Blur reduction to work), and ESPECIALLY if they'll fix the double image and inconsistent performance of Clear Action? Also to at least grey out Clear Action if GLL is off, as it doesn't really do anything when GLL is off. I would blow up Vizio tech service, but I feel people here can help Vizio know to fix this...

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 05-03-2016 at 09:28 PM.
post #10118 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus77 View Post
I am a two week owner of the Vizio P65. I was lucky to have walked into a Best Buy that had one in stock and bought it on the spot. None available in the Conn. Area now. I had planned on waiting for an LG B series oled but am throughly pleased with this tv. The black levels are fantastic and colors really pop. My comcast cable picture on most channels is very good. I can see slight banding on an all white screen but it is absolutely not visible during regular viewing. With hockey I really have to look for it to see a slight hint of yellow in the lower middle of the screen. I have found the calibration numbers used by showman94 to work fantastically, even though they are for the P75. The only changes I made were to bump up backlight to about 80, sharpness to 20 and gamma to 2.1. I prefer a brighter picture. Casting occasionally can be glitchy but is easily resolved by rebooting the tablet. My advice is ignore the neasayers and just buy this tv. You will be amazed at what u get for the price! I am planning on purchasing a Denon 910 reciever to use with this tv. Have 910 owners had any issues between the two?
910 owner - ARC is working - DD+ and Atmos - having some lip sync issues, I did not have these with my Vizio M70
post #10119 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

Can OP confirm if Vizio is working to fix stuff like Blur reduction being tied to Dejudder (as in Dejudder has to be set to at least 1 for Blur reduction to work), and ESPECIALLY if they'll fix the double image and inconsistent performance of Clear Action? Also to at least grey out Clear Action if GLL is off, as it doesn't really do anything when GLL is off. I would blow up Vizio tech service, but I feel people here can help Vizio know to fix this...

This is why things won't get fixed. Call, get your problem logged. The more data points they have the better. The more people that call, the more likely a fix will be done (if possible). The more detailed you can be the better. Posting to the forum is not "good enough".
post #10120 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Having two routers will cause a whole bunch of problems on a network. If you want to separate the vizio from the network a vlan directly from the router would do that. If your worried about vizio capturing data about you I would say keep away from the internet because its bad out here...

Not saying what vizio is doing is right I just want to point out the severity compared to other things out here...
toonj64 likes this.
post #10121 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using a TX-SR605 and can't get audio from the TV to the receiver. I've set the audio output to PCM but am not getting anything from the ARC HDMI input. Any ideas?
post #10122 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Read more of his posts. The only way he has been able to resolve the issues is by removing the Denon. If he has everything to the TV there are no issues.

I actually did search through a few past posts to see what was up .
I thought HDMI audio to the receiver was the only problem in this case ?

As a last resort to solving any HDMI issues , I recommend not only reversing polarity on all speakers , but also curing any lip-sync issues by turning the sofa around so you're facing the rear surround speakers .
Oldways7 likes this.
post #10123 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
Have you tried casting a DD+/Atmos title to see if the RX-A2050 can handle it via ARC? I have a 1050 so I'm curious...

No go via ARC. Forgot that ARC only passed dolby digital 5.1. No lossless format. I can cast same video with atmos via nvidia shield that is connected to avr and got atmos. Works great via nvidia shield.

Edit. Im using the p tablet to cast my atmos source.

P65-C1 (2016)
Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR
Bose Double Cube x4 (Presence Speakers)
Klipsch RP-250C(C) - R-14S(SR) - RP-250F(F)
Nvidia Shield--FIOS 100/100
-obsolete (Pioneer AVR SC81)
post #10124 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

FINALLY someone who is more paranoid about Vizio's data collection than I am!

Jokes aside, Smart Interactivity does NOT collect information from the network communications of your other devices. It records sample pixels of what you are watching ON THE TV and sends it to Vizio which allows them in some cases to identify the program/show/movie.

I personally don't like the idea of Smart Interactivity at all and just keep it disabled on my set, but I really think you are going overboard here.
Once you disable that feature, you really don't have much to worry about unless you believe the TV has some evil built-in spyware that sniffs and processes random network packets (which would also waste precious streaming bandwidth and CPU cycles that could otherwise be used for video processing).

However if you really insist on doing this for some reason (which I again suggest you reconsider), the setup you are proposing would not work (also the data going back to the Modem is not necessarily encrypted - not that it matters in this case).
I think what @gotaudi mentioned with VLANs would work and needs only one router if the router supports VLANs.
Or if you want total physical isolation you can achieve that with 3 routers (like described here).
toonj64 likes this.
post #10125 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrent2 View Post
I'm using a TX-SR605 and can't get audio from the TV to the receiver. I've set the audio output to PCM but am not getting anything from the ARC HDMI input. Any ideas?
Connect HDMI 1 on the vizio to HDMI out on your marantz .
post #10126 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
Connect HDMI 1 on the vizio to HDMI out on your marantz .
You mean the HDMI in on my Onkyo receiver? That's what I have set up but I'm not getting anything.
post #10127 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

The receiver inputs are to plug in DVDs players etc in .
You need the output of the receiver to HDMI 1 of the Vizio .

Then HDMI audio , or some such term may need turning on on the receiver and tv .
post #10128 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrent2 View Post
You mean the HDMI in on my Onkyo receiver? That's what I have set up but I'm not getting anything.

Your receiver does not have ARC. So you will not be getting audio out of it.
post #10129 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaurio View Post
No go via ARC. Forgot that ARC only passed dolby digital 5.1. No lossless format. I can cast same video with atmos via nvidia shield that is connected to avr and got atmos. Works great via nvidia shield.

Edit. Im using the p tablet to cast my atmos source.
Thanks for trying, but I was specifically asking about DD+ (not lossless/TrueHD) possibly with Atmos as that is the only way to get Surround/Atmos when casting online streaming services like VUDU or Netflix (though I believe Netflix does not have anything with Atmos but it does use DD+).
post #10130 of 63936 Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
Thanks for trying, but I was specifically asking about DD+ (not lossless/TrueHD) possibly with Atmos as that is the only way to get Surround/Atmos when casting online streaming services like VUDU or Netflix (though I believe Netflix does not have anything with Atmos but it does use DD+).

Yes. Netflix pass dd+ via arc but it will not pass atmos metadata.
GorillaBot likes this.

P65-C1 (2016)
Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR
Bose Double Cube x4 (Presence Speakers)
Klipsch RP-250C(C) - R-14S(SR) - RP-250F(F)
Nvidia Shield--FIOS 100/100
-obsolete (Pioneer AVR SC81)
post #10131 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
Best buy Magnolia Novi, MI,
Spoke extensively to sales rep named Kyle. He was well informed and knows his stuff. Has not had training yet on P-series. They have a 75". Which I thought looked good with DV content.

He said they are out of stock in the area for 65". He said these things are selling like hot cakes and is having to turn customers away. He is not sure when they will have stock in the area. Sounds like it may even be regional. Pretty crazy, when there is not a lot of advertising for this thing.

He is bummed the tablet is locked in a display case next to the TV. He wanted to know more about the tablet and be able to play with it. But I guess he does not have access to the tablet. Maybe after training. I explained to him most of the ins and outs. Which he seemed to already know. When we started the conversation, he was like the p-series is a good value tv. By the time we were done talking he seemed excited about it, said he wants to save up for one. Not sure if that was his opinion before hand.
Just tell him to install the app on his phone...no need for the locked away tablet.
thomasfxlt, toonj64 and mikestr like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #10132 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaurio View Post

Yes. Netflix pass dd+ via arc but it will not pass atmos metadata.
As was pointed out above, don't think Netflix has any Atmos titles yet in their library. Try VUDU.

-Jeff-
post #10133 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
Checking the resolution boxes only applies if you want the Directv box to upscale (Native Off).
Not really accurate. The resolution check boxes are there to tell the STB what resolutions the TV can support. Some cheaper HD TVs can't support 480i for instance and therefore even with Native on the box "knows" not to send a 480i signal and would upscale/deinterlace accordingly.

-Jeff-
post #10134 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Your receiver does not have ARC. So you will not be getting audio out of it.
It's obviously vizio's fault !!

When I looked up the model number , it came back as a marantz .
It was late .
I was tired .

post #10135 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I'm not so sure that's your receivers fault. I came from the Vizio M80 with a Pioneer SC-77 receiver, now have the P75 and I have the same problem. 1080P24 content has around 120ms lip sync issue. I'm not sure if this is some weird coincidence considering the set itself is 120HZ but it is what it is. For reference, my M80 had 0ms lip sync with the exact same hardware. I think it's the TV.
Please when you have the time, Contact Vizio Tech Support to report the issue. I have opened a case with them and they say it is my AVR since I do not have the issue when the 24hz signal is sent directly to TV. I hope this is something they can recreate in the Labs. I loaded up the Disney WOW Audio Sync test and it is over 200ms (max adjustment I can make on the Denon) from what I could see in the meter that rotates around and help determine when the Beep occurs.
imobilizer likes this.
post #10136 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 AM

Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Not really accurate. The resolution check boxes are there to tell the STB what resolutions the TV can support. Some cheaper HD TVs can't support 480i for instance and therefore even with Native on the box "knows" not to send a 480i signal and would upscale/deinterlace accordingly.
That makes sense.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #10137 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
Being a Pioneer AVR user, I found this on the SC Elite thread this am..... it's very interesting and relevant to much of the discussion here for weeks..... (don't look for specifics here but rather the general theme and especially the comment about AVR's and HDMI).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post43773754
NeronetFi likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #10138 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxes84 View Post
I'm sorry

Here's a pic of my p55 to celebrate and to show people who are interested in the p55 to not worry about the ips panel

Attachment 1421074

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
That picture really doesn’t show the issues with an IPS display. The issues are that darks never really get dark. That picture is almost all highlights. However, that picture does show that it retains great color and brightness off angle which is definitely a strength of the IPS TVs.
post #10139 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

My thought is that you should be more worried about the data collected by your browser and companies like Google when searching.
Just saying.
promike likes this.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0

Set an example:
Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you...
Not because they are nice, but because YOU are. :)
post #10140 of 63936 Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So i have a Sony CT780 that i have my apple TV (soon to be replaced with fire stick), and my PS4 plugged into and then i have a single HDMI from the sound bar to the TV. My question is this: Is there any way to separate the hdmi inputs used on the TV for the apple TV and PS4. Right now they both play out of HDMI INPUT 1 on the TV and i switch the input on the soundbar to switch the source. I'd rather have the ps4 go to one input on the TV and the Apple TV go to another... but still have them go directly into the bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page