Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 407 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288557Likes

post #12181 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Yea it was on Cal Dark, but I dont think it changed automatically to Cal Dark, and I looked up the title and it is a DV title from VUDU. I just feel HDR though adds ore highlights and black, it tends to be very dark, just like when I make the selection for my phone. Theres one scene where they are all partying on a boat and the boat is surrounded by water obviously, but all you see is the boat. The water looks like the black plague. I'm guessing this is the intention of UHD HDR, and if so idk if I'm liking it. I like the detail of a regular bluray a little better at the moment. IMO nothing right now is beating a nice clean 1080p feed until they get some more standards for HDR and DV. But that's just me, I love playing my blu rays. When I upgraded from the Panny S64 to the ZT60 my blu rays were like another world of viewing. Anyway, thanks and glad its nothing out of the ordinary.

BTW, I am not that happy with the brightness of the P50, I was happy with the brightness of the P55 but then blacks looked "greyish" at night, so I'm actually debating going to the P65 lol, after having the P50 for a few days, I can only imagine how great it will look at 65".

Side note about VUDU....I love the basis of the app but man does it need some tinkering from the developers. I thought it was just a Vizio issue, but as I play titles on my Computer from VUDU..it still has terrible stutter and jerkiness to the PQ. So for now I will be sticking to Blu Rays until that gets sorted out, certainly not spending 30$/title for that.
Not happy with the brightness how? My P50 is absolutely blinding in a dark room...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Yea it was on Cal Dark, but I dont think it changed automatically to Cal Dark, and I looked up the title and it is a DV title from VUDU. I just feel HDR though adds ore highlights and black, it tends to be very dark, just like when I make the selection for my phone. Theres one scene where they are all partying on a boat and the boat is surrounded by water obviously, but all you see is the boat. The water looks like the black plague. I'm guessing this is the intention of UHD HDR, and if so idk if I'm liking it. I like the detail of a regular bluray a little better at the moment. IMO nothing right now is beating a nice clean 1080p feed until they get some more standards for HDR and DV. But that's just me, I love playing my blu rays. When I upgraded from the Panny S64 to the ZT60 my blu rays were like another world of viewing. Anyway, thanks and glad its nothing out of the ordinary.

BTW, I am not that happy with the brightness of the P50, I was happy with the brightness of the P55 but then blacks looked "greyish" at night, so I'm actually debating going to the P65 lol, after having the P50 for a few days, I can only imagine how great it will look at 65".

Side note about VUDU....I love the basis of the app but man does it need some tinkering from the developers. I thought it was just a Vizio issue, but as I play titles on my Computer from VUDU..it still has terrible stutter and jerkiness to the PQ. So for now I will be sticking to Blu Rays until that gets sorted out, certainly not spending 30$/title for that.
Turts, sometimes you need to cast the netflix/vudu app and double check that the calibrated dark setting is active. You may even want to reset the picture mode before you start the movie to make sure nothing was accidentally changed.

I haven't had much experience with DV/HDR outisde of a couple episodes of marco polo on netflix (haven't tried vudu yet). I felt that the display on CD with DV active was too dark for me as well (decreasing gamma did help). It could be due to the cinematography of the series, or the fact that vizio and netflix need to tweak some settings with DV, or even that nexflix may be having issues with hdr content right now...I'm not sure.I'm sure it will be adjusted as hdr content evolves. It is very new after all.

On the other hand, I watched Moving Art: Flowers on netflix last night in 4k (non-hdr) and it looked phenomenal. I'm hoping that DV content will only improve in the future.

As for the P55/65/75, I went with the 65. It has the top-tier features (VA, 120hz, extra zones) at half the price of the 75. If you have the extra cash, I'd go P65. With backlight at 80-85 it is incredibly bright to me on most things I watch.
post #12183 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
I was FINALLY able to view a P-65 in a Best Buy Magnolia store in Minneapolis. Even though I had been forewarned that they would be running the "LEGO movie Loop" and that it looked terrible, I was still shocked at how bad it looked. It was so washed out and the black levels were horrendous. Add to that the fact that it was being demoed between a Sony XBR75-940D and a LG OLED 65E6...those two were both running beautiful 4K loops with dazzling colors and phenomenal blacks/shadow details. The OLED was especially impressive with lots of "space scenes" which featured off-the-charts black levels and what seemed like infinite depth.

The sales rep was very friendly AND completely "literate" when it comes to the various tech displays. I asked him if he could run a different source and he replied, "Vizio has completely tied our hands; they won't let us run anything besides the LEGO movie loop." I told him they are "shooting themselves in the foot" and he wholeheartedly agreed.
tampabayrays likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12184 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
Is there any drawback to using HDMI 5 for all sources? Due the age of my receiver, I have both my game consoles and video devices hooked through the receiver, which then goes to HDMI 5. The. I switch to the appropriate video mode for each respective source.
I'm not a gamer, but unless you can tell the difference between HDMI 1 through 4 lag time, and the quicker response you can get with HDMI 5, I would go with 1-4. The best solution would be to do extended tests it both ways - one week with HDMI 5 and one week with HDMI 1. If you are interested in casting, then HDMI 1 might be important for ARC.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #12185 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by creibold View Post
Not happy with the brightness how? My P50 is absolutely blinding in a dark room...
Seriously.

I'm still tweaking my own settings, but right now for a pitch black room (and even with the light on), my backlight is at 0, with contrast at 30 (contrast works in reducing brightness even more than the backlight setting), to reduce how bright this thing gets.

(To put things in perspective, the Vizio tablet remote is like at 3-5% brightness and I could happily go lower)

Makes me wonder how HDR will even work out for me. I know it only raises brightness in things that need brightness, but my eyes are just too sensitive to LCD torches.

I dunno how anyone can handle even the default Cali Dark light levels.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 05-15-2016 at 01:45 PM.
post #12186 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
You grow accustomed to the size change after a few days. I sit about 7-10 feet from the 65" (on a bed). No issues. Hell, I had a 130" projector screen I sat 12 feet from. I played CoD on it without a problem.
Putting a 65" screen on a bed is impressive. I've got a great story about the guy who hung a 60" Samsung DLP RPTV from the ceiling over his bed with lag bolts. Unfortunately for him, the lag bolts did some internal damage and the set never worked in that location.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #12187 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lol, I meant that I'm on a bed 7-10 feet from the TV.

12 feet when I sit all the way back, really.

Mad Lust Envy
post #12188 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The sales rep was very friendly AND completely "literate" when it comes to the various tech displays. I asked him if he could run a different source and he replied, "Vizio has completely tied our hands; they won't let us run anything besides the LEGO movie loop." I told him they are "shooting themselves in the foot" and he wholeheartedly agreed.
I've heard about a bridge for sale. If you're interested, my finders fee is modest.

That's a blatant and completely stupid salesman lie. I've seen the P65 running a Vizio 4k demo out in the BB TV area, let alone in the Magnolia department. The set was showing "no signal" until I ask if they could play something on it. The demo was in the USB port. the LEGO movie loop seems to be on a lot of different sets in different BB stores. From what I understand, it's a BB loop.

I've also seen a P75 in a Magnolia department (not a design center) and it was playing the same loop that was on all the other sets in the room except for the LG OLED next to it. The manager of that department didn't seem to be playing the setup game because the Vizio actually had more "pop" than the Sony and Samsung near it. They all needed calibration badly. It wasn't the Lego loop.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 05-15-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #12189 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabayrays View Post
Shoman, thanks for the update. Would you advise against using your calibration settings for a 65, or will they work ok?
I tried them on my P65 and they look amazing. I saw more pop in color on 1080P and 4K content.
tampabayrays likes this.

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-X1100w
LG BD570
post #12190 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I was FINALLY able to view a P-65 in a Best Buy Magnolia store in Minneapolis. Even though I had been forewarned that they would be running the "LEGO movie Loop" and that it looked terrible, I was still shocked at how bad it looked. It was so washed out and the black levels were horrendous. Add to that the fact that it was being demoed between a Sony XBR75-940D and a LG OLED 65E6...those two were both running beautiful 4K loops with dazzling colors and phenomenal blacks/shadow details. The OLED was especially impressive with lots of "space scenes" which featured off-the-charts black levels and what seemed like infinite depth.

Check out my first post when I got my P65. I saw the same thing. It's funny how Vizio went through all the trouble to exclusively launch at BB, yet their setup there is terrible. Salesmen are uninformed and go out of their way to push Sony, and the demo is awful and makes the tv look much worse than the inferior tvs next to it. (not to mention that they put the better demos on the Sony and LG on either side of the vizio) I feel like someone walking into BB would pay no attention to this awesome TV based on how it looks in-store.

I have mentioned before that I was able to connect my phone with the smartcast app to the demo tv. I did not try to change the input, but I'm sure you could throw on some 4k youtube videos if you really wanted to see the capabilities of the vizio before you buy one.
post #12191 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
You grow accustomed to the size change after a few days. I sit about 7-10 feet from the 65" (on a bed). No issues. Hell, I had a 130" projector screen I sat 12 feet from. I played CoD on it without a problem.

Always go bigger if you can afford it and have the space. It's common AVS advice.

Thanks for the confirmation, htwaits.
I'm coming from a 27" ASUS PC monitor for gaming so I'm hesitant to have another 65" in the house just for gaming.

What about the 50" since it is the better panel, but has only 60hz for motion. Will 60hz @1080p matter for console gaming (PS4 specifically)? I don't do any PC gaming so will the PS4 even be able to do 1080p @120 hz like a PC? I am not that familiar with motion. I really don't think I need another 65" that will only be used for gaming though. I really liked the idea of the 55" but with the IPS panel and worse contrast ratio and blacks, I would rather get something else.

So now I need to decide between the 50" or just getting another gaming monitor.

Thoughts? PS4 games like COD, Destiny, Fallout 4, etc.
post #12192 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5143 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
Is there any drawback to using HDMI 5 for all sources? Due the age of my receiver, I have both my game consoles and video devices hooked through the receiver, which then goes to HDMI 5. The. I switch to the appropriate video mode for each respective source.
The only thing I've noticed being lost is the "Reduce Signal Noise" settings. I'm using HDMI-5 from my Elite VSX-01TXH with native pass through from all my 720p/1080i/p content from my TiVo.

Quote:
Shoman, thanks for the update. Would you advise against using your calibration settings for a 65, or will they work ok?
You can try it but every set can be a little different. There is no harm because you can just reset the setting. I think you may have to adjust the backlight accordingly because the 65" default is a little different than the 75". But you should adjust to your environment anyway.
tampabayrays likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #12193 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I'm not sure how easy/hard it will be for the in wall replacement. You can start with just the cable from the receiver to the tv, but personally I would replace everything just to rule out all problems; however, everything was working with the old cables sans the main cable from out on the receiver to HDMI 1 on the tv.

I'm just relieved to know it wasn't the tv itself. I know a few people returned sets b.c they "thought" they had faulty HMDI ports. I'm almost certain if they bought expensive HDMI cables it would have fixed their problem. I seriously didn't think cables was my problem, but very happy that was it.
Yes it's very sad that people return a very good display that has no issues and are perfectly fine. The only upside there will be very nice pristine displays discounted that are now open box.
This is the first place I look when shopping for elecronics.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player

Last edited by bargervais; 05-15-2016 at 01:59 PM.
post #12194 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I'm coming from a 27" ASUS PC monitor for gaming so I'm hesitant to have another 65" in the house just for gaming.

What about the 50" since it is the better panel, but has only 60hz for motion. Will 60hz @1080p matter for console gaming (PS4 specifically)? I don't do any PC gaming so will the PS4 even be able to do 1080p @120 hz like a PC? I am not that familiar with motion. I really don't think I need another 65" that will only be used for gaming though. I really liked the idea of the 55" but with the IPS panel and worse contrast ratio and blacks, I would rather get something else.

So now I need to decide between the 50" or just getting another gaming monitor.

Thoughts? PS4 games like COD, Destiny, Fallout 4, etc.
If you're a console gamer, you don't need or won't benefit from anything over 1080p/60hz. That being said, if you ever get into backlight strobing tech, the 120hz sets do a better job at that, since it will flicker less.

Some BenQ monitors have backlight strobing, called Blur Reduction. And/or if you have used a Gsync Monitor, Clear Action on this TV is the rough equivalent to Nvidia's Ultra Low Motion Blur tech.

But yeah, a big TV just for gaming may not make too much sense.

Why not just get one of those 34" Ultrawide monitors instead? Though thinking about it, consoles wouldn't take advantage of the extra real estate...
iStorm and tampabayrays like this.

Mad Lust Envy
post #12195 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:

I came from Plasma like you ,I had the 65"VT60 ,I see that you own a Kuro ,You should already know that the store is not a critical viewing environment.

My 65"VT60 totally looked like garbage in the store but it was the opposite at home.

I don't get why people judge blacks in a store.

Black levels can only be percieved in a totally dark enviroment and what you see is the dark screen coating not the actual black levels.

I've been watching the Value Electronic shootout for years and they never judge the blacks in a bright or dim lit room ,is always in a completly dark room.

A lot of damage to Plasma sales was do to judging the display at store.

You should know all this if you own a kuro.

Last edited by losservatore; 05-15-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #12196 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Seriously.

I'm still tweaking my own settings, but right now for a pitch black room (and even with the light on), my backlight is at 0, with contrast at 30 (contrast works in reducing brightness even more than the backlight setting), to reduce how bright this thing gets.

(To put things in perspective, the Vizio tablet remote is like at 3-5% brightness and I could happily go lower)

Makes me wonder how HDR will even work out for me. I know it only raises brightness in things that need brightness, but my eyes are just too sensitive to LCD torches.

I dunno how anyone can handle even the default Cali Dark light levels.
This is the biggest curiosity I've had in this thread. How is the back light for some people way too bright to the point they they have to set it between 0-10, while others (myself included) find everything dark unless the back light is almost maxed out?

Are the displays that different out of the factory? Or is everyones personal preference that much different? Granted there are a ton of contributing factors like ambient light, hdmi chain, source material, etc., but it seems strange that some can't tolerate the p series with full back light and some can't tolerate it with any back light.
post #12197 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
So do you think I should just pay the difference and get the 65"? I don't want the 50" because of the 60hz. Is 65" too big for serious FPS gaming? I'm about 10 feet away. I just want to be able to see the full screen.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I sit 7 feet from a 75" 10' from a 65 you will be fine.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #12198 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you're a console gamer, you don't need or won't benefit from anything over 1080p/60hz. That being said, if you ever get into backlight strobing tech, the 120hz sets do a better job at that, since it will flicker less.

Some BenQ monitors have backlight strobing, called Blur Reduction. And/or if you have used a Gsync Monitor, Clear Action on this TV is the rough equivalent to Nvidia's Ultra Low Motion Blur tech.

But yeah, a big TV just for gaming may not make too much sense.

Why not just get one of those 34" Ultrawide monitors instead? Though thinking about it, consoles wouldn't take advantage of the extra real estate...
That's good to know that I don't need any more than 1080p @60hz. I'm not sure what the backlight strobing tech is so I probably don't need to worry about that, lol.

So just for gaming, you think that the 50" Vizio P series will act like my 27" gaming monitor but just have a better picture and more real estate?

The 34" monitors are around ~$1,000 for a good one so don't you think it would be a better investment for me to get a 50" Vizio P that is the same price and has 16 more inches of real estate? I wouldn't ever use the resolution of the 34" either.
post #12199 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post
I tried them on my P65 and they look amazing. I saw more pop in color on 1080P and 4K content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post

You can try it but every set can be a little different. There is no harm because you can just reset the setting. I think you may have to adjust the backlight accordingly because the 65" default is a little different than the 75". But you should adjust to your environment anyway.
Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot. I know some adjustments will be subjective. I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be totally wrong to do.
shoman94 and NeronetFi like this.
post #12200 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
I sit 7 feet from a 75" 10' from a 65 you will be fine.
Hey, I know I would be fine with the 65" since I sit 8 to 9 feet from my 65" EF9500 OLED in my theater room, but what I was saying is that I don't think I need the 65" JUST for gaming only.

The Vizio P peaked my interest since it was very affordable for a big size. Instead of getting another 27" or 34" pc monitor for console gaming, I figured if the Vizio had similar input lag to a PC monitor, then I could just use a 55" for gaming strictly. I found out that the 55" is IPS and might not have the same input lag and definitely doesn't have the same contrast ratio or black level so it doesn't seem to fit the bill. Now I'm looking into getting the 50" and wanted to make sure that the 60hz motion handling wouldn't hurt me for console gaming.

My only worry with the 50" is what if the new PS4 or upcoming consoles have it to where you will be able to do 1080p @ 120hz? Then I will have made a bad investment and have to get another gaming TV in the near future.
jhorton1343 likes this.
post #12201 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I came from Plasma like you ,I had the 65"VT60 ,I see that you own a Kuro ,You should already know that the store is not a critical viewing environment.

My 65"VT60 totally looked like garbage in the store but it was the opposite at home.

I don't get why people judge blacks in a store.

Black levels can only be percieved in a totally dark enviroment and what you see is the dark screen coating not the actual black levels.

I've been watching the Value Electronic shootout for years and they never judge the blacks in a bright or dim lit room ,is always in a completly dark room.

A lot of damage to Plasma sales was do to judging the display at store.

You should know all this if you own a kuro.
Ah, I'm a bit surprised at your post, for you make it sound like I was actually going to "judge" the tv based solely on what I saw in the store (did you not read that I was forewarned going into the store about the LEGO movie look and how terrible it would look?). My point was simply this: it looked even worse than what I expected!

And for your 411, I bought my Kuro Elite "sight unseen" from an online dealer, so I NEVER judge a display by what I see in the store. Having said that, the OLED looked amazing and if it looked that good in a well-lit store, imagine how good it would look in my completely dark Home Theater room!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #12202 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Ah, I'm a bit surprised at your post, for you make it sound like I was actually going to "judge" the tv based solely on what I saw in the store (did you not read that I was forewarned going into the store about the LEGO movie look and how terrible it would look?). My point was simply this: it looked even worse than what I expected!

And for your 411, I bought my Kuro Elite "sight unseen" from an online dealer, so I NEVER judge a display by what I see in the store. Having said that, the OLED looked amazing and if it looked that good in a well-lit store, imagine how good it would look in my completely dark Home Theater room!
I thought that you was interested on the Vizio. Don't understand your posts if the post is about praising other displays and putting down the Vizio then good luck with that on a dedicated Vizio P thread.

Enjoy the Oled.

Last edited by losservatore; 05-15-2016 at 02:52 PM.
post #12203 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I've heard about a bridge for sale. If you're interested, my finders fee is modest.

That's a blatant and completely stupid salesman lie.
yep, i buddied up to a bb sales guy and he let me pair the tablet from the 50" (65" tablet was in the famous plastic case) and cast youtube videos to it in the store. but even then the fluorescent lights in the store made it impossible to compare 55" and 65" viewing angles. theyll let you do it, just gotta act like you know what youre doing. and if its busy in the tv section people will gather around while you start casting stuff
mchallis likes this.
post #12204 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

dude you shouldnt have given up on the 55" after one bad set. you knew the 50" was 60 hz and going to have poor viewing angles. im on my 4th one...first two stuttered like hell (im convinced a couple early lots of tvs had bad networking hardware), third one looked like yours with the blooming and bad edge bleed, got the 4th one yesterday - no stuttering - made it all the way through crouching tiger last night with class, very little edge bleed at night on the black movies bars, and so far dse looks minimal (but ill find out during the hockey game tonight). i do have a couple pieces of dust trapped behind the screen but theyre not noticeable over 2' away. the 55" is an awesome tv - just cant give up until you get one that passes your tests.

this is not an attack or criticism - just some encouragement to not give up - you know the 55" is the best set for you. playing panel lottery with different screen sizes, types, and refresh rates doesnt minimize variables very well

Last edited by Patrick Randall; 05-15-2016 at 03:16 PM.
post #12205 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Check out my first post when I got my P65. I saw the same thing. It's funny how Vizio went through all the trouble to exclusively launch at BB, yet their setup there is terrible. Salesmen are uninformed and go out of their way to push Sony, and the demo is awful and makes the tv look much worse than the inferior tvs next to it. (not to mention that they put the better demos on the Sony and LG on either side of the vizio) I feel like someone walking into BB would pay no attention to this awesome TV based on how it looks in-store.

I have mentioned before that I was able to connect my phone with the smartcast app to the demo tv. I did not try to change the input, but I'm sure you could throw on some 4k youtube videos if you really wanted to see the capabilities of the vizio before you buy one.
Who knows how many sales best buy has cost vizio, in regards to the P series. Vizio marketing made a terrible mistake when they inked that deal. The best buy near me won't even turn the TV on. Said they don't have anything to hook it up to at the moment. But, they really wanted me to check out the new $8K LG OLED.
tampabayrays likes this.
post #12206 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
This is the biggest curiosity I've had in this thread. How is the back light for some people way too bright to the point they they have to set it between 0-10, while others (myself included) find everything dark unless the back light is almost maxed out?

Are the displays that different out of the factory? Or is everyones personal preference that much different? Granted there are a ton of contributing factors like ambient light, hdmi chain, source material, etc., but it seems strange that some can't tolerate the p series with full back light and some can't tolerate it with any back light.

Everyone's personal preference is that much different. There are basically an infinite number of ways one can set up the different devices and set up their rooms. This doesn't even take into factor ones eyesight. You find what works for you and go with it.
shoman94 and tampabayrays like this.
post #12207 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I thought that you was interested on the Vizio. Don't understand your posts if the post is about praising other displays and putting down the Vizio then good luck with that on a dedicated Vizio P thread.

Enjoy the Oled.
Once again you misunderstood my post. I have been wanting to see the Vizio P-Series "up close and personal" ever since they came out, for I am seriously considering getting the 75" (you can check my post history to confirm this). I was NOT expecting to see an ideal set up at BB, and I was NOT going to judge my purchase based on what I saw in the store, but I WAS surprised to see just how bad their demo was. Why didn't Vizio give BB a decent 4K loop to run like Sony and LG did? Beats me, but for the "average Joe" out there they would never pick the Vizio based on their comparing demos.

As far as making a remark about how good the Sony and LG demos looked; I stand by that statement. They did look good; in fact, they looked amazing. Blacks levels on both were stellar! What made the difference between them and the Vizio? The demos that were used. So again, Vizio is shooting themselves in the foot by giving BB one of the worst demos I've ever seen in a B&M store.

post #12208 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
[URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2378658-official-vizio-2016-p-series-owners-thread-uhd-hdr-dv-no-price-talk-please-368.html#post43877426"]

I would recommend any of the LG 4K demos or any of the Sony 4K demos in YouTube for demonstration purposes; properly set up, this TV murders all those demos stone-cold dead.
tampabayrays likes this.
post #12209 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Lots of discussion here about poorly setup P series sets and incompetent sales people at BB. While I'm sure that there are plenty of incompetent sales people, I would guess that there are also some of the usual annoying and manipulative sales tactics being employed.

It's to their advantage to use a simple "good," "better," and "best" comparison, along with with escalating prices, to promote the higher priced and higher margin units. This tactic falls apart if the "best" performing set is the least expensive. Using a combination of different source materials, along with some creative setting tweaks, it is easy to confuse customers and push them toward the most expensive or highest margin set.

I just avoid the annoying tactics in the same way that I buy new cars. Buy online, have it delivered, and send it back if it sucks. The day after the set was announced I placed a BB order at the nearest warehouse and received it the next day. After six weeks ownership I'm still really impressed by how much better it looks compared to my perfectly calibrated old Kuro plasma.
Brandon B, htwaits, Furyus and 4 others like this.
post #12210 of 64317 Old 05-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My apologies if this has been asked before I looked a bit and didn't find an answer:

I run my playstation 4 through an onkyo tx-nr 737, should I still use input 5 on the Vizio for the best response time? Or should I plug the playstation directly into input 5 and use SPDIF for audio to the receiver?

I have been gaming on a M65-C1 with the PS 4 hooked up to the receiver and have noticed no real lag or other issues.

Thanks!

I like Ice Cream!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page