Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 469 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288488Likes

post #14041 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
This is an important post for anyone trying to span a long distance with an HDMI cable retaining the 600Mhz signal necessary for 4k/60 4:4:4 (HDMI subsampling enable on the P series). I've tried for months to get my Pioneer SC-95 to pass the signal from the 4k Samsung Bluray player, with no luck. This cable does the job. I have a 35 footer supplied for test purposes from Blue Jean Cables. I'd tried a number of others, both passive and active, and none of them worked. I'm a happy guy.

ARC is working as well.
So glad you got this working... as we discussed and you pointed out, ARC and 4k 4:4:4 really push the HDMI spec and cables to their limit. Quality of cable is starting to matter again. Enjoy!
htwaits, Ph8te, shoman94 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Not sure if you are aware that Vivid mode is not normally used. For sure it makes things have that "wow" look. But it is because it over does colors. It is basically a torch mode that turns everything up and exaggerate things. I am not saying that other people shouldn't try it. Or that you shouldn't leave it like that. But Just letting you know being in Vivid mode means you are not getting an accurate picture. Calibrated or Calibrated dark are how the picture is suppose to look. I do understand some people just want that wow factor so they use Vivid, so to each their own. But was just trying to give you some more information.
That's why I adjusted the settings per mp4 file for brightness, color hue and tint

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #14043 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
It seems like the P55-C1, will the last of the displays to get the update.
I got it on my P55 right after it came out. I didn't expect it but it popped up as I was pairing a new device, so you might try that if you haven't already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14044 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopat View Post
That's why I adjusted the settings per mp4 file for brightness, color hue and tint

Those settings are tweakable to your particular liking. Its a good starting point I feel. My thinking behind this is that the color is already blown out from the factory in the calibration area ,ie 11 point
Cyan whatever ect. Since I don't have calibration equipment I started playing with these settings I've been up all night messing with it. So yeah I'm happy with them. I'm just waiting for someone to actually try them out and then tell me how bad it is. Keep in mind that I like the skin tone in calibrated dark and calibrated but I don't like how the rest of it has a yellowish tint to it.

post #14045 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
So glad you got this working... as we discussed and you pointed out, ARC and 4k 4:4:4 really push the HDMI spec and cables to their limit. Quality of cable is starting to matter again. Enjoy!
Hey, Matt thanks for joing the thread today. I was wondering if there were any plans to make UI for usb connections. Files on my external hard drive plays automatically and would like to be able to choose what I play.
tampabayrays likes this.
post #14046 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Hey, Matt thanks for joing the thread today. I was wondering if there was any plans to make UI for usb connections. Files on my external hard drive plays automatically and would like to be able to choose what I play.
Yes I'm also interested in this. I've already called cs about it. They said there's no plans for it. Hope they are wrong...

post #14047 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2086
Quote:
Exactly. I thought my AVR was a "dud" b.c I tried various cables. I took the AVR to my local bestbuy and we hooked it up to the P-series with Audioquest cables and it worked without issue. It is the first time I have ever experienced cables not working and spent big money on cables. Worth every penny though.
post #14048 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 205
As I spend another day without 1.1.14.4, a thought on The Vizio Tablet and Smartcast:
I've experienced multiple issues when viewing Netflix via the Dish Hopper 3 on my P75.
I always cast Netflix from the Tablet, but my wife (who, if not for me, would be fine with a small TV, no AVR, et.), finds it much easier to just start up Netflix from Dish using our Harmony remote (she's also the reason I bought a Harmony remote in the first place).
Yesterday, my 6-year old granddaughter was here and wanted to watch Monster High on Netflix. My wife tried to turn everything on, via the Harmony remote, but could not get a signal (I think she refers to our Home entertainment system as "Christine"). I stepped in, and suggested she let me cast Netflix instead of going through the Hopper, so we wouldn't have a failure/reboot in the middle of viewing.
I grabbed the Tablet, but my granddaughter said "Let me do it", so without any assistance from me, she opened the Netflix app, searched Monster High, found the one she wanted to watch, and started playing it on the P75. (Granted, she is a tablet/smartphone savvy kid, as most are these days).
I looked at my wife and said "did you see that?", she just replied "Shut up..."

Bottom line: seems to me Vizio is on the right track with Smartcast!
Brandon B, htwaits, Ph8te and 10 others like this.
post #14049 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Pretty sure I am just going to get the 55 inch P Series and put my chair close to the tv when gaming and move it back. Ill start putting money away this year and buy a nice 70 inch 4K next year and gift this to a family member. I had a $3000 dollar 40 inch Samsung I gave them that I bought in 2009 and lines are starting to develop. They would never buy a new tv so I'll just give them this when I'm done.

Or just wait a couple of months and get the 65 inches in July

I am hearing to many good things to pass on a P Series
post #14050 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:56 AM

If it were me I'd wait and get the 65in. Though it would probably break my will to wait. Lol. But I'm tight on funds so I'd wait, saves money in the long run for me anyway.

The_Donster and tampabayrays like this.
post #14051 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
It seems like the P55-C1, will the last of the displays to get the update.
I don't know about that. I have a 65 with a case in to Vizio and have yet to receive the update...
post #14052 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Hey, Matt thanks for joing the thread today. I was wondering if there were any plans to make UI for usb connections. Files on my external hard drive plays automatically and would like to be able to choose what I play.
There is no plan right now since it goes against the CAST usage model. We hope people will stream those files from local sources/drives like Plex, your tablet, your computer, NAS, etc... or use a cloud service and a CAST app to stream to the display. This makes the content available on all your SmartCast devices and gets away from the SneakerNet... but we left playback working on USB for those that want to plug in a specific file or movie.
post #14053 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post
As I spend another day without 1.1.14.4, a thought on The Vizio Tablet and Smartcast:
I've experienced multiple issues when viewing Netflix via the Dish Hopper 3 on my P75.
I always cast Netflix from the Tablet, but my wife (who, if not for me, would be fine with a small TV, no AVR, et.), finds it much easier to just start up Netflix from Dish using our Harmony remote (she's also the reason I bought a Harmony remote in the first place).
Yesterday, my 6-year old granddaughter was here and wanted to watch Monster High on Netflix. My wife tried to turn everything on, via the Harmony remote, but could not get a signal (I think she refers to our Home entertainment system as "Christine"). I stepped in, and suggested she let me cast Netflix instead of going through the Hopper, so we wouldn't have a failure/reboot in the middle of viewing.
I grabbed the Tablet, but my granddaughter said "Let me do it", so without any assistance from me, she opened the Netflix app, searched Monster High, found the one she wanted to watch, and started playing it on the P75. (Granted, she is a tablet/smartphone savvy kid, as most are these days).

Awesome story... :-)
post #14054 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
So I'm getting a replacement P65 from vizio next saturday, here's hoping the stain is gone or at least less severe on that one.

I really would like to impress on @Matt McRae that I think there may have been a problem with the first batch of P65's...

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #14055 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If it were me I'd wait and get the 65in. Though it would probably break my will to wait. Lol. But I'm tight on funds so I'd wait, saves money in the long run for me anyway.

I see your point but I figure they will enjoy this tv next year and I can make a plan of saving for new technology instead of this impulse buy.

It's not a waste when it can be gifted next year. Lol

Or at least that's how I justify it. Plus it's 200 off right now online.
post #14056 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycidelicos View Post
I see your point but I figure they will enjoy this tv next year and I can make a plan of saving for new technology instead of this impulse buy.

It's not a waste when it can be gifted next year. Lol

Or at least that's how I justify it. Plus it's 200 off right now online.
That's a good deal for this tech.

post #14057 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Apologize for being offline... been very busy here launching the rest of our CAST products. Wanted to get you more information on the firmware update being rolled out to P Series customers.

Version 1.1.14.4 has the following updates (high level descriptions):

- Local dimming algorithm improvements (better contrast and black levels)
- Stuttering and frame drops fixed
- Volume control improved over CEC/ARC
- Discreet IR codes fixed
- Calibration at 30% Blue fixed
- Spotify audio output to soundbars improved
- Cast more reliably supports 24fps content
- Bluetooth pairing improved
- Significant improvements for ATMOS over ARC
- Cleaned up some streaming issues with Vudu, Vadio, Netflix
- Youtube queue issue fixed
- Game mode improved (backlight timing)
- Numerous other small fixes and improvements

The update is rolling out slowly this week and will accelerate as time goes on. Looking forward to comments on the update and further suggestions for improvements.

I will attempt to answer questions as schedule permits but will be able to spend more time with you next week.

Matt
Thanks Matt for all your commitment to the new P series. I received the new firmware and noticed that the dimming is much improved which also made PQ better as well. My only issue I am having is when I open an app to CAST onto the P series (I have the P50), it doesn't show the icon for CAST in the top right corner most of the time. I have to close the app, then close out the CAST app, and then re-open the Vizio CAST app then reopen whatever app I want to cast and then it will appear. Obviously not a huge issue, but something others might find inconsistent and inconvenient. Hope you guys get your screen tear fix...seems like they tackled one aspect but not another as it is still happening. Overall this was a well awaited FW release with more Pros than Cons. Thanks Matt and Vizio. Never thought I would be this happy with a tv, especially I being a Vizio. The big boys better watch out.

EDIT: also wanted to add that motion is much improved IMO for my P50, motion blur setting is gone though but the Reduce Judder setting is no longer locked out and can be changed on any input you choose which is great. Now I don't have to watch a Blu Ray to adjust it. But I am curious why you guys took away Reduce Motion Blur but let us control Reduce Judder. Would be nice to be able to control both, even though Motion blur isn't bad on this set by any means. It does appear to have less motion blur after the FW update, but would be nice to have it back and be able to control both at the same time.
sbrentn and tampabayrays like this.
post #14058 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post

I had the same reaction when my GF used casting without an explanation. She was more offended that I thought she wouldn't understand it haha. Granted, I had to explain the harmony to her.
zer0cool2007 likes this.
post #14059 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 AM

I don't know if this app uploads full rez or not but I did take it with HDR enabled. Enjoy.

post #14060 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
This is an important post for anyone trying to span a long distance with an HDMI cable retaining the 600Mhz signal necessary for 4k/60 4:4:4 (HDMI subsampling enable on the P series). I've tried for months to get my Pioneer SC-95 to pass the signal from the 4k Samsung Bluray player, with no luck. This cable does the job. I have a 35 footer supplied for test purposes from Blue Jean Cables. I'd tried a number of others, both passive and active, and none of them worked. I'm a happy guy.

ARC is working as well.

This is awesome (yet horrible) news. Looks like I will be replacing the two 45' Redmere cables ran thru my wall (no conduit).....
post #14061 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
55" owner as well, i watch sports on calibrated, reduce judder 1, reduce motion blur 8. works great for hockey, baseball, soccer and hoops. havent watched football yet.

use another android device if the tablet breaks, honestly, my galaxy s5 is much more responsive and has less glitches than the vizio tablet and i use that most of the time...plus i can do everything one handed.

I had the same settings and hockey and baseball looked very good. Football still had bad motion blur.
post #14062 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Per vizio web site HDMI does not support [email protected] Its lower input lag port don't do it. [email protected] looks great and gives the option of 12bit in nvidia control panel.

my bad should of specified 4:2:0, Watching a movie even @ 1080p...blackscreen...playing csgo or doom...blackscreen...extremely irritating. Been on HDMI 2 for the last two days without a single problem.
post #14063 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
There is no plan right now since it goes against the CAST usage model. We hope people will stream those files from local sources/drives like Plex, your tablet, your computer, NAS, etc... or use a cloud service and a CAST app to stream to the display. This makes the content available on all your SmartCast devices and gets away from the SneakerNet... but we left playback working on USB for those that want to plug in a specific file or movie.
Thanks for the info. I asked this a couple times and maybe you missed it, but can you share any news on availability of the new Smartcast soundbars?

Also wanted to see if you could clarify this..I read this from another thread and was wondering if calibration with rec 709 limits the colors of the P series for sdr and if it's true that WCG is only available with Dolbyvision content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB
I did mean that a gamut greater than Rec. 709 is not accessible outside of DV content (at this time). Vizio simply neglected to include a WCG toggle in the settings. The HDMI subsampling option has nothing to do with that, and neither does the bit depth. And by the way, the P-series should be able to do 4K/30Hz and below at 4:4:4 10-bit, as that is well within the current HDMI bandwidth limit. It just can't be done at 60Hz currently.
post #14064 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just downloaded the new firmware and still have chirping/squirrely audio when audio output is set to Dolby or DTS out over ARC. My receive is a denon avr-1912. I may have to upgrade my receiver soon... Any ideas anyone?
post #14065 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
I've never used Plex, never heard of it until the 2016 P Series released and purchased the P55-C1 and started participating in this thread as a happy owner the Vizio display.

So I'm gonna need some help understanding how Plex works. Also I would suggest it becomes part of the list of apps that come installed on the tablet, like hulu, netflix, and Vudu.
post #14066 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickcheneyx View Post
my bad should of specified 4:2:0, Watching a movie even @ 1080p...blackscreen...playing csgo or doom...blackscreen...extremely irritating. Been on HDMI 2 for the last two days without a single problem.
Do you have subsampling enabled?

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
post #14067 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Is this a temporary drop, or just a Memorial Day deal?
Memorial Day I am picking up the P55 from BB. I did my research it's a site wide Memorial Day sale.
Dirk504 likes this.
post #14068 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
I searched but wanted a clarification: My Blu-ray player is a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 and my AVR is a Denon AVR-2112CI. I have a 9.8ft Amazon Basics HDMI cable that runs from my AVR to a MacBook Pro W/ Retina that I use to play MKV, MP4, as well as games from Steam. An amazon Basics cable runs from my AVR to my current display (VT30). Between the BD player and the AVR is a Key Digital HDMI. No handshake issues whatsoever, everything runs smoothly. The 9.8ft Amazon Cable says it "Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return." The other two cables I'm unsure of as they were purchased from a closed account in 2011.

What, if anything, will I need to replace? I want to order any required products I need to today so they'll arrive right along with my P Series.
I would wait for HDMI problems to show themselves instead of buying in advance. If you're not pushing the bloody edge, your cables will probably be fine. On the other hand, buying the Amazon high speed cables in six or ten foot lengths is not a big risk. Maybe one of each length would give you something to test with if there turn out to be some HDMI problems.

From a communication point of view it helps to refer to HDMI cables as running from the source to the next component rather than the other way around.
Vader182 likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #14069 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I've never used Plex, never heard of it until the 2016 P Series released and purchased the P55-C1 and started participating in this thread as a happy owner the Vizio display.

So I'm gonna need some help understanding how Plex works. Also I would suggest it becomes part of the list of apps that come installed on the tablet, like hulu, netflix, and Vudu.
I've been using Plex since way back and it's an excellent media streamer. Basically you store any file type (audio, video, image) on a computer. Install the Plex software on the machine and select the folder that has your Movies, Music, Videos and the like. Once setup, you install the client on the viewing end. For instance, Plex now has an Apple TV app. Fire up the app and you can now watch anything in your library on your TV. The beauty of Plex is it does transcoding on the fly. You don't have to worry what format the file is in. It's pretty damn good and covering them all. Great product if you want to rip your entire library and store it on a machine so you never have to touch a disk again.
post #14070 of 64030 Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Do you have subsampling enabled?

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Yup, I dont know what it is about switching resolutions allot that effects the TV on 5(Between [email protected]@120). Hopefully over the next couple days i can download firmware and get it working because if not i will have to return it , which i dont want to do...the panel itself has zero other problems no backlight bleed, ghosting, juddering or anything else whatsoever and i love it...just that stable 120hz when i want it is a dealbreaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page