Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288593Likes

post #1381 of 64423 Old 03-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
As I said above, makes perfect sense. He was used to higher input lag on his Sharp, and now that things are more responsive, he is overshooting. Not sure what you are laughing at.

You're right. It does make sense. Sorry. I've just seen some crazy logic on this thread and when I first read it, I lumped it in with that. I hope the lag is as minimal as it sounds. I could use some help with my FPS performance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 64423 Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
disc quality always rules.

Do you have mad max on UHD bd? im curious how the DV vudu versions compare to the 4k SDR BD versions that you can play through the K8500.
DolbyVision has a pretty impressive impact on MM. I'm sure the MM UHD BR played with HDR10 looks good as well. The streaming version is a bit noisier but darn good. Right now, I'd take take the DV version, it's that good. If they were all as good as MM on Vudu, I'd question the future of Bluray. The setup with the K8500 in the meantime is pretty good.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #1383 of 64423 Old 03-28-2016, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngordonmd View Post
Just got back from Best Buy for the second time to look at the p75. Allow me to preface this by saying that I will likely be buying this tv as a bridge to oled when the larger size becomes more affordable.

I spent almost an hour there messing with settings on the Vizio. While the blacks are great and the colors can be dialed in, I was very disappointed by the detail and image processing. The tv was directly next to an LG 65 EF9500 and below a Sony 850c. There was also a Sony 940c on the same wall. No matter what settings I changed, I could not get the detail to get close to the other sets. They were playing TMNT again and I paused a few scenes to compare. The details on th Vizio looked muddy as if the camera was out of focus. There was nothing I could do to get it to the level of the other sets. If I turned up the sharpness, there was an unbearable amount of noise.

Like I said, I'm still buying the set because of the price but was definitely a little disappointed. Maybe I was missing something in the settings?

That is the kind of unbiased real world info we need more of around here. Will you be going back to that BB to compare the different sets again and see if the other sets still look better after further adjustments?
slowcarboost likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 64423 Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That's my second time there. Unfortunately the employees have no idea what they are doing so I wouldn't expect anything better from them. They still operate under the belief that Vizio is inferior just because of the name. I have to explain to them that the Vizio has some of the best stats and features in the room. I'll probably go again to play with the settings more but I but I really messed with almost everything and couldn't get the Vizio to look as good. Not to say it was bad cause I'm still getting one, but when doing a side by side comparison it just doesn't seem like it can keep up. I might add a video processing unit like a dvdo when I get mine to see the difference.

I think this is an area that has always been Vizio's weak point and while they have improved, they still just aren't up to speed with the other big brands. Or so it seems. I could just be doing something wrong.
Heinz68 likes this.
post #1385 of 64423 Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post
That is the kind of unbiased real world info we need more of around here. Will you be going back to that BB to compare the different sets again and see if the other sets still look better after further adjustments?
Well, yes. I'm looking forward to reviews coming in. If reviews for this and/or the M series are up to snuff, I'm looking to upgrade mid t to late summer. Otherwise, I'll look to Sharp. Failing that, wait until next year. I understand enthusiasm for your set but the less biased an opinion here the better. I'm looking forward to a calibrated set competing with other calibrated sets.

I might be wrong, maybe Thomas or somebody else can answer. Isn't calibrating a 4K HDR set a very unstandardized thing right now. As in, D-Nice, Chad, etc don't really have a set way to go about doing it? If I got my set I'd definitely want it calibrated if it meant an accurate picture.

-Vader
post #1386 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
Most likely nothing considerable unless there's limited time deals you can take advantage of. That's how last year's M series worked.

-Vader
The 75 would be a great addition to the living room but it's almost a 2k difference for ten inches.
post #1387 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
So interesting update, some of you may have seen the first two pictures below in an earlier post, where I and others decided my unit was defective because of the yellow cloud (FALD on and off).

With the help of Matt, Brett, and Zack from Vizio, my panel now looks like the last three images (FALD on/off black screen, FALD on Netflix splash).

The fix? Knocking on the panel. Apparently the panel can become misaligned during shipping and a few raps with my knuckle completely erased the cloud. Can't believe how responsive customer service was, kudos to those guys! And I still can't believe that worked...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1345874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1345882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG
Views:	658
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1345890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1345898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1345906  

Googer, VBB, s44 and 5 others like this.
post #1388 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 01:14 AM

On a separate note, have any owners noticed any banding like the yellow vertical band visible in the bottom-center of the white image below?

Doesn't show up in other colors except blue, where if you look in the same spot you can see a greenish hue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.JPG
Views:	925
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1345914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1345922  
post #1389 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Ya the pic quality is excellent. Honestly gaming is great on all hdmi inputs. I've been messing with settings and fixed the dv. For whatever reason it turned my fald off by default. The judder is still there though but you get used to it. It's just annoying when people ask why the TV "skips". One bug I did encounter was that when I raised the brightness to fix the black levels on a vudu moving streaming dv, the next time I turned on the Tv to continue where I left off, the brightness was too high and all the blacks were gray. Dialed the setting back down to correct it. Haven't had the issue anymore but honestly I don't have much dv content. I just wish vizio would let me calibrate the cast setting without having to be be casting to access the settings. If you can live with the judder you should be fine. I only wish I would've gotten the 65 inch model because it's kinda hard to see the 4k benefits on a 55 inch.
Heinz68 and Golf Nut like this.
post #1390 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 01:22 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
I couldn't improve the detail/processing any better than this.
Could that be a function of your experience as a calibrator or the equipment you were using?

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #1391 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Eagle View Post
So interesting update, some of you may have seen the first two pictures below in an earlier post, where I and others decided my unit was defective because of the yellow cloud (FALD on and off).

With the help of Matt, Brett, and Zack from Vizio, my panel now looks like the last three images (FALD on/off black screen, FALD on Netflix splash).

The fix? Knocking on the panel. Apparently the panel can become misaligned during shipping and a few raps with my knuckle completely erased the cloud. Can't believe how responsive customer service was, kudos to those guys! And I still can't believe that worked...
Very interesting and shockin that they would recommend hitting the panel. What if the panel crack?

Quote:
On a separate note, have any owners noticed any banding like the yellow vertical band visible in the bottom-center of the white image below?

Doesn't show up in other colors except blue, where if you look in the same spot you can see a greenish hue.
That was an issue I had on all my M65-c1, except it was a yellow band in the middle of a white screen. What size P do you have?

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #1392 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
Very interesting and shockin that they would recommend hitting the panel. What if the panel crack?

That was an issue I had on all my M65-c1, except it was a yellow band in the middle of a white screen. What size P do you have?
As Vizio tech support put it, "knock as if you are knocking on the window to get someone's attention". It was firm enough to see a small explosion of light but nothing crazy, I'm a small guy.

This is a P65, interesting to hear this has been seen before. I don't care all that much but I'm worried about it getting worse over time.
post #1393 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post
Haha...so because you were missing, you think it's because the Vizio is doing something amazing? That makes no sense! This thread is way too positive. I hope I love the set but come on!
It's really a breath of fresh air compared to some of the other threads for new TVs. I will say this set quickly got put on a pedestal. Maybe it deserves it, maybe not. Either way, I can't wait to read the reviews and test my P65 this weekend.
mikestr likes this.

Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #1394 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As Vizio tech support put it, "knock as if you are knocking on the window to get someone's attention". It was firm enough to see a small explosion of light but nothing crazy, I'm a small guy.

This is a P65, interesting to hear this has been seen before. I don't care all that much but I'm worried about it getting worse over time.

We should pass this onto Vizio, definitely a defect from last year that rolled into the new model. The P65-C1 and M65-C1 both use an AUO panel. All three of my M65s had at least small cluster of dead pixels and the yellow banding. I got tired of the panel lottery and moved on to a different brand.

As great as the specs and value are, if the P65-C1 has the same issues I'll let Vizio attempt to rectify issue, if it happens twice I'm done.

post #1395 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
We should pass this onto Vizio, definitely a defect from last year that rolled into the new model. The P65-C1 and M65-C1 both use an AUO panel. All three of my M65s had at least small cluster of dead pixels and the yellow banding. I got tired of the panel lottery and moved on to a different brand.

As great as the specs and value are, if the P65-C1 has the same issues I'll let Vizio attempt to rectify issue, if it happens twice I'm done.
I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow and will bring it up, maybe they will have another magic fix for this one as well .
post #1396 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:

Honestly I went through 5 MacBook Pro retinas with similar yellow tint in parts of the screen that was much worse than that. I think it is just an issue with the tech. I eventually just decided to live with it and stopped noticing it.
martbob likes this.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #1397 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 1126
Did setting changes on HDMI 5, for SDR Blu-ray using AVS 709 disc.

Really benefited from it to, contrast was clipping below 235, brightness 17 wasn't flashing. Color needed a slight increase, but definitely needs a real gray scale and color calibration.

https://i.imgsafe.org/1688ade.jpg

Last edited by DisplayCalNoob; 03-29-2016 at 03:50 AM.
post #1398 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaf85 View Post
Are you a gamer at all? Can you post screen shots of the Division if you have it? Or maybe Witcher 3. I am curious like with the division how some of the snow scenes look and/or the loading screen for black level.
It does pretty great on the load screens...this was one of the screens that used to drive me crazy on the 8550.
That looks fantastic. Is this with game mode on hdmi 5?
post #1399 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Quote:

Did you knock on the front or the back of the tv?
post #1400 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
So I put a meter to the TV today using SpectraCal... first time I'd used SpectraCal and I wormed my way through it without any tutorial. ...

All I did was the 11 point gray balance and after doing so, I may not touch another thing. All the silly talk about black crush and red push by people who heard it from a friend or make the conclusion based on pictures posted. Nonsense.

I'm watching the Kingsman UHD Bluray: without any HDR

Perfect skin tones
DR is outstanding
No noise.. amazingly clean signal. (I have a 35' cable run from the AVR to the TV as well)
Detail is outstanding
This blows streaming away... bring on the DV Bluray's

No question it's worth gray balancing the set. Beyond that, I've got a lot to learn before I start messing with the CMS. The WCG of the film is coming through to the display. While I've really enjoyed the streaming DV stuff the last few days (especially for the HDR/DV) combining all of it with Bluray is going to be the defining moment.

Think i'll pop in The Martian and see how that one looks.
Can you share screenshots of Calman showing before and after measurements?
post #1401 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Can you share screenshots of Calman showing before and after measurements?
Please Thomas!!!

Mike

post #1402 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Could that be a function of your experience as a calibrator or the equipment you were using?

Haha there in lies the ultimate question. I truly hope that it was a factor of my lack of calibrating skills. I will be the first to admit that I am a serious amateur.

In the unfortunate case that I am right and the set is incapable of producing the level of detail compared to the likes of Sony and LG, is this something that can be improved upon by Vizio with firmware/software updates? Like I said, I'm still getting the set. Just waiting for some Best Buy gift cards to come in the mail and my movers coupon.
post #1403 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just got back from Best Buy for the second time to look at the p75. Allow me to preface this by saying that I will likely be buying this tv as a bridge to oled when the larger size becomes more affordable.

I spent almost an hour there messing with settings on the Vizio. While the blacks are great and the colors can be dialed in, I was very disappointed by the detail and image processing. The tv was directly next to an LG 65 EF9500 and below a Sony 850c. There was also a Sony 940c on the same wall. No matter what settings I changed, I could not get the detail to get close to the other sets. They were playing TMNT again and I paused a few scenes to compare. The details on th Vizio looked muddy as if the camera was out of focus. There was nothing I could do to get it to the level of the other sets. If I turned up the sharpness, there was an unbearable amount of noise.

Like I said, I'm still buying the set because of the price but was definitely a little disappointed. Maybe I was missing something in the settings?
My observations of the set are similar. I think the processing is a step below Sony. I have no experience with Samsung so I won't comment on them.

I will still buy this or the Sony 940C but I am disappointed in the processing.

Mike

post #1404 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I would like to have more time with the set and I probably will but his experience is the same as mine. I'm coming from a plasma so it will take some time to acclimate to an LCD,
I do think the processing is not the best.

Mike

post #1405 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
Those reds look a bit pushed... Almost bleeding into other colors, how does it look to your eyes in person? Hopefully it's just the picture, but looks way over saturated to me in this picture. Looks a lot like a video game.
Sorry folks, but this always makes me chuckle...

We're taking pictures of WCG, HDR televisions with sRGB phones with pinhead sized sensors and no white balance calibration, compressing into 8bpp JPEGs, and most are viewing on uncalibrated computer displays of unknown quality. Why are we getting so critical?
markrubin, THX1720, maser and 5 others like this.
post #1406 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warunek View Post
Anyone with a 55" comment on black levels of IPS panel?
I currently have an M60 in return period. *If* I jump to the P Series (assuming I can even get it in Canada in time) I will likely end up with the P55 due to price and size concerns (P65 too expensive and too big).

I'm very interested in any comments on P55 IPS performance compared to 2015/2016 Vizio VA panels. It might be a benefit in my viewing situation, but I'm somewhat nervous about being the odd one out.
post #1407 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

We're taking pictures of WCG, HDR televisions with sRGB phones with pinhead sized sensors and no white balance calibration, compressing into 8bpp JPEGs, and most are viewing on uncalibrated computer displays of unknown quality. Why are we getting so critical?
good point: if members want to post photos from thier cell phones, there should be some effort to do it right: this would include giving basic info on what kind of camera/phone was used, it's settings, settings of the display (like is local dimming on or off?) and such: selecting a display based only on these photos should be done at your own risk

also see this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post42776114
maser, Ph8te, thomasfxlt and 1 others like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #1408 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcflynn89 View Post
I also noticed this when I tested my gaming pc hooked up to it today. Switching resolutions sometimes caused the display to hang on a black screen. Switching inputs fixed it though.

I have to say: getting a display that can do [email protected] AND [email protected] is insane. The low lag setting definitely works and 1080p upscaling for games seemed to work very well. Given the choice and with my current graphics card, [email protected] is definitely my preferred config.
I agree. The only other TVs with that capability are the Sonys and Vizios. I'm trying to mess with things to get it to stop hanging on a black screen. Having to constantly switch inputs constantly sucks. Never did it on the 2014 Vizio so it's definitely an issue with the tv. If I can't get it work I'll have to call Vizio and see if they know a solution. At least I could bring it to their attention.
post #1409 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post
It's also odd that the Vizio never fully turns off the zones, even on an all black screen where the Samsung just turns off all the LEDs, the Vizio dims them but never turns them off...that was what I meant when I said the edge of the screen doesn't blend into the bezel. The silver bezel actually doesn't help this, it reflects light from the TV in the room.
The only time I ever saw this on my M was when I accidentally had a color space issue. Setting color space works differently on the Vizio than my old Samsung, and it got thrown for a loop by my PS4 which I also use for BD playback.

I set it to RGB (meaning RGB full) because games on the PS4 can take advantage of it. When I popped in a BD, the PS4 reverted to YCC but the M60 stayed on RGB, meaning it was displaying IRE16 as black and the LEDs never extinguished. Flipped color space back to auto, hit resume and the LEDs went out for black scenes.

Worth a double check of all of your settings on both sources and display.
post #1410 of 64423 Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

Exactly. If I post a picture, it's for fun, never for comparative analysis. It's the P series "Owners" thread and we're suppose to be able to enjoy being here and sharing out experience with others. Happy to share with interested parties as well as long as they respect our thread.

We should be able to be open about our experience both good and bad. The goal is to own a great display. I can tell you it's far from perfect and all of the flaws will be laid bare but it's equally incredible. Let's help Matt and his team get it right and not get distracted by the noise.

Everyone can do what they want but I'm not commenting on anything relative to a comparison nor will I respond to anything that doesn't appear objective.

I put a meter on the TV last night and I'm already getting asked to post data. I'm not ready to do that. First, I'm not a professional calibrator. I'm an experienced enthusiast with a very strong background in color management, prepress and professional photography. When I feel I fully understand where I'm at I'll share things with sincere parties.
Jehan, njfoses, WiFi-Spy and 14 others like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page