Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 473 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #14161 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
If you are a Vizio engineer then I can't argue with your analysis and you should get a fix done ASP. Otherwise I don't see enough simplification. I don't use ARC so I can't discuss it other than it's poor reputation. If you've concluded that the P-series sets are messing up the sync for audio going back to the AVR only when 24Hz is involved then I would recommend getting owners who don't see the problem to contribute. I would especially be interested in OPPO owners going through an AVR to the "Media Display." Of course, those trouble free owners may not be using ARC.

I'm totally out of the picture because all my streaming goes through our AVR and we don't have a P-Series display. Therefore we don't need ARC.

I'll keep quiet now.
Man you post a lot in the owners thread for someone who does not have the tv lol.
The problem has nothing to do with ARC . Since ARC isn't used when a device is run through the AVR to the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14162 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
FYI....not sure if anyone has checked out prices lately. The P65 and P75 remain at the same price BUT for those debating on the P50 or P55 they have both dropped in price.
P55
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-55...&skuId=4352209

P50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-50...&skuId=4352100

Getting BB price match my P50 as I type this. Now I am very very tempted to grab the P55 again but I also still feel I've been spoiled by the VA and I do love the P50. I think the only jump I would make at this point is to the P65. Gonna sell like hot cakes when those prices drop on the 65". Glad I got the P50 and now got one HECK of a deal.
I purchase my p50 last week. Will bestbuy pricematch my unit?
post #14163 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just updated to to firmware 1.1.14.4 and it seems to have solved my HDMI-5 instability problems (P55-C1). I can now switch freely between resolutions with hotkeys and watch [email protected](4:2:0) movies without it crashing the TV.

So glad it's fixed, love this panel....Keep up the good work Vizio!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14164 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulf1 View Post
The link for Vizio's site is not working for me.
It just worked for me.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #14165 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have been using my P50 for the last 6 days. I am mostly happy with it, but I am still in my return window. Over the last day I have noticed the video dropping out on 3 occurrences while viewing my Roku 3. It is a quick dropout that returns in a couple seconds. I have not noticed any dropouts using my Directv HD box. Both are running through my Denon receiver at into HDMI 1 to the Vizio. I did a search and found a few people mentioning this.

With the P55 dropping in price by $200 it is tempting to move to that model. Obviously there is the VA vs IPS and a different refresh rate. It is hard to find any direct comparisons between the 2 panels. Rtings.com and cnet.com mentions the differences, but they have not actually tested the P55. Are there any professional reviews of the P55 or does anyone have experience with the IPS P55 vs VA P50, P65, P75 panel?

Thanks.

Last edited by ngs428; 05-26-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #14166 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Man you post a lot in the owners thread for someone who does not have the tv lol.
The problem has nothing to do with ARC . Since ARC isn't used when a device is run through the AVR to the tv.
You are quoting my reply to RDHolmes and his analysis of the problem sounds like he is using ARC.

"P Series Media Display is not sending appropriate delay parameter to AVR with 24 Hz signal. The parameter is appropriate for 60Hz signal.

When the Media Display is connected directly to the source the Media Display is handling the audio and bis applying the correct amount of delay.

When the Media Display is connected to the source through an AVR, the AVR is handling the Audio and needs to have the Media Display send the amount of delay to be applied to the AVR. This is not being handked correctly on 24Hz."

I'm here because it's one of the few threads I'm interest me.

In the 24Hz case before the thread, the only point I'm trying to make is to remove as many variables as possible in order to simplify. Simplify is all I can contribute as a none owner of these particular displays. I also do a lot of pointing people to post number one.
promike, Ph8te and NeronetFi like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #14167 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It may have more to do with the grading of the encodes more than the mode itself. When calibrating DV to the GR it should be getting as close to possible to creator intent. Now if said result is too dark is that the fault of the TV or the creator

Sent from nowhere
Correct... this is all dependent on the content and grader. The thing with DolbyVision is the original cinematographer/director/colorist really dials in what they want it to look like... and tastes or intent varies. but you know you are seeing what they want you to see
htwaits, Ph8te, thomasfxlt and 1 others like this.
post #14168 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
You are quoting my reply to RDHolmes and his analysis of the problem sounds like he is using ARC.

I'm here because it's one of the few threads I'm interest me.

In the 24Hz case before the thread, the only point I'm trying to make is to remove as many variables as possible in order to simplify. Simplify is all I can contribute as a none owner of these particular displays. I also do a lot of pointing people to post number one.
Oh you def have helped. I just thought it was a little weird how often you are in this thread lol. Do you plan on switching to a P series?

I have worked on the 24hz issue for awhile earlier today, it is quite weird and I am not sure why it happens. I am gonna test it a few other ways tomorrow and see if I can narrow down what actually causes it.
htwaits likes this.
post #14169 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
If you are a Vizio engineer then I can't argue with your analysis and you should get a fix done ASP. Otherwise I don't see enough simplification. I don't use ARC so I can't discuss it other than it's poor reputation.

If you've concluded that the P-series sets are messing up the sync for audio going back to the AVR only when 24Hz is involved then I would recommend getting owners who don't see the problem to contribute. I would especially be interested in OPPO owners going through an AVR to the "Media Display." Of course, those trouble free owners may not be using ARC.

I'm totally out of the picture because all my streaming goes through our AVR and we don't have a P-Series display. Therefore we don't need ARC.

I don't understand the 24Hz contribution. I'll keep quiet now.
The Lipsynch problem I was addressing has been reported with source to AVR to Media Display with a 24 Hz signal. Not ARC.
post #14170 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Matt may have meant that more work was needed for the P75 sets.
Correct... P75 needs a little more work. stay tuned. We are also tracking the lip synch on 24p as well
htwaits, fljoe, mpgxsvcd and 12 others like this.
post #14171 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Yea no kidding it sucks! @Matt McRae Please update the APP to include +/- buttons.
I have definitely heard all those who have suggested this... couple of ideas in design now. Honestly working on PQ stuff first but I hear you and will have a solution on this when time permits. Something we always intended to do but priority jumped based on your (and others) feedback.
VBB, fljoe, mpgxsvcd and 14 others like this.
post #14172 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Is there a source for the options to copy Movies, Music, and Videos to HD in a format that Plex can trans-code. What does Plex do with .ISO files?
DVDFab or AnyDVD, been been my choice for movie ripping. DVDFab is so easy, a caveman can do it.
post #14173 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Correct... this is all dependent on the content and grader. The thing with DolbyVision is the original cinematographer/director/colorist really dials in what they want it to look like... and tastes or intent varies. but you know you are seeing what they want you to see
I agree, but that doesn't mean that the end user display is calibrated to match in grayscale/gamma to what the director and other parties authored. There wouldn't be any point for Dolby to get Calman involved in creating calibration software specifically for HDR content.

What I'm looking at is not accurate in grayscale and gamma. I put in Shomans HDR grayscale and gamma, now more detail is visible,(skin, materials, rocks, and etc.)
post #14174 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm having a hard time finding concrete information about the streaming app SmartCast supports. I've seen one review site say Netflix is not supported, and this one and most others say Amazon is not supported. For those that are streaming Netflix/Amazon in HDR/DV are you using an external box (roku, fire, etc)? I'm not a search engine wizard, but know enough to get by however I had enough with searching and coming up with garbage results.
post #14175 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So does the 55 inch really have lower contrast and black level quality due to the IPS panel?
post #14176 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycidelicos View Post
So does the 55 inch really have lower contrast and black level quality due to the IPS panel?
Yes, but it's not a typical IPS because the FALD works so well.
htwaits, mpgxsvcd, Ph8te and 2 others like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #14177 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I agree, but that doesn't mean that the end user display is calibrated to match in grayscale/gamma to what the director and other parties authored. There wouldn't be any point for Dolby to get Calman involved in creating calibration software specifically for HDR content.

What I'm looking at is not accurate in grayscale and gamma. I put in Shomans HDR grayscale and gamma, now more detail is visible,(skin, materials, rocks, and etc.)
That's the whole point of the Golden Reference..... it allows the color volume to map in absolute terms on different display hardware.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #14178 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Oh you def have helped. I just thought it was a little weird how often you are in this thread lol. Do you plan on switching to a P series?

I have worked on the 24hz issue for awhile earlier today, it is quite weird and I am not sure why it happens. I am gonna test it a few other ways tomorrow and see if I can narrow down what actually causes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
The Lipsynch problem I was addressing has been reported with source to AVR to Media Display with a 24 Hz signal. Not ARC.

The lip sync delay is most likely from the time it takes for the display to interpolate the made up frames between two known frames. The display first must sample two known frames and then interpolate a number of artificial frames, that is dependent on the users settings, and then display that on screen. The bigger the number of interpolated frames will then add to the amount of delay with the audio.
When the TV is processing the sound it will produce the audio when it displays the video.
What a lot of users don't know is a lot of displays will be able to accept 24 frame feeds but will add the 2:3 pulldown to the feed. The actual number of displays that can truly display 24 frame video is quite low. There is a thread on this forum that used to keep track of the displays that can do film mode with out doing a 2:3 pulldown process. I haven't looked for the thread in a real long time but I know there is one some whre on this forum.

I also found a mention to the screen tearing on LCD type displays as this is also contributed to motion interpolation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

Quote:
Motion interpolation on certain brands of TVs is sometimes accompanied by visual anomalies in the picture, described by CNET's David Carnoy as a 'little tear or glitch' in the picture, appearing for a fraction of a second. He adds the effect is most noticeable when the technology suddenly kicks in during a fast camera pan.[1] Television and display manufacturers refer to this phenomenon as a type of digital artifact.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #14179 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavie View Post
I purchase my p50 last week. Will bestbuy pricematch my unit?
Yes. You can get a refund if something drops in price within your return period.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
ataneruo and JoinTheBattle like this.
post #14180 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
I'm having a hard time finding concrete information about the streaming app SmartCast supports. I've seen one review site say Netflix is not supported, and this one and most others say Amazon is not supported. For those that are streaming Netflix/Amazon in HDR/DV are you using an external box (roku, fire, etc)? I'm not a search engine wizard, but know enough to get by however I had enough with searching and coming up with garbage results.
Netflix absolutely is castable. Amazon is not though because of Amazon and Google's pissing contest that's currently happening.

gregcss likes this.
post #14181 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I've been using mine since Tuesday and the contrast levels are very very good. I haven't been able to compare to a P65 but the blacks are extremely black. I have no complaints so far except for a few quirks I'm trying to work through.

post #14182 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
That was basically the same question I had. My post #14168 was a little longer above.

Tom, I enjoyed your Home Theater Geeks episode. Nice job. I see from that episode that SpectraCal was using the P55 in their tests. Tyler Pruitt from SpecrtaCal mentioned that in the episode around the 11:20 mark. He did not see an issue with blacks not being deep enough. The FALD is what achieves this.
post #14183 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Still it's a bummer when I found out. I wonder if it will still knock the socks off a M Series 2016
post #14184 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6518 Post(s)
Liked: 6231
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...e_Cast_support

As far as HDR 4K capable since he P series was the 1st device to have the casting capability the outside details are sparse. Netflix and Vudu will cast in both 4K and DV HDR. Amazon is not available to cast at all until the squabble between them and Google comes to an end.

If you want Amazon HDR you'll have to wait until the HDR10 update hits the P series and then get a device that has access to it such as the K8500 UHDBR player.

Sent from nowhere
htwaits, mpgxsvcd, gregcss and 1 others like this.
post #14185 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngs428 View Post
I have been using my P50 for the last 6 days. I am mostly happy with it, but I am still in my return window. Over the last day I have noticed the video dropping out on 3 occurrences while viewing my Roku 3. It is a quick dropout that returns in a couple seconds. I have not noticed any dropouts using my Directv HD box. Both are running through my Denon receiver at into HDMI 1 to the Vizio. I did a search and found a few people mentioning this.

With the P55 dropping in price by $200 it is tempting to move to that model. Obviously there is the VA vs IPS and a different refresh rate. It is hard to find any direct comparisons between the 2 panels. Rtings.com and cnet.com mentions the differences, but they have not actually tested the P55. Are there any professional reviews of the P55 or does anyone have experience with the IPS P55 vs VA P50, P65, P75 panel?

Thanks.
Turts85 went from p55 to p50. Check out his posts but have in mind his p55 was a bad panel. Also, that not even him knows what he wants lol
I know there was another user who bought a p55, liked it and decided to go a bigger size.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
post #14186 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickcheneyx View Post
Open MPC - Options - Internal Filters - Video Decoder (Bottom / Middle) - Choose from the drop down under Hardware Acceleration.

Definitely mess with it and find what works best for you.
I tried Nvidia Quvid or DXVA2 and got same results. It's crazy with 4k video. VLC play in full screen, but strobes in hdmi2 and black screen in hdmi5. MPC was strobeing until MadVR install. But now frame freezes in full screen and crashes on hdm2, as if I was connected to hdmi5. Potplayer 64 bit works well without issue in hdmi2. I never in my life, had to make so many changes to my pc to get 6 to 10 4k demo video to play stable with a tv. If I wasn't so damn lazy, I would re-connect this 4k LG 49in I have, just to verified it's not my video cards. At the sametime I'm afraid, I might pack the p50 back in the box and trade it for the samsund 50KS8000. I really want to wait for the firmware and the new cables I ordered arrives. I really love the picture, blacks and the whole streaming concept of the p50. I just don't want to get stuck with a problem display and in a few months by something else. I just gave away a 40 and 50in vizio, because I don't have storage space for old tvs. I have to figure out what to do with this LG now. My friends are buzzing around my home, like flies on s^^t. LOL
post #14187 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
If you want to keep using MPC-HC and madVR, check out this thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...tup-guide.html, as well as this one created by @Onkyoman : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...light=onkyoman
Thanks for you help, checking it out now.
post #14188 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Consumer Reports has reviewed the P Series and it is not that favourable. They have 32 TVs ahead of it in the 60" and larger category. There were only 12 TVs with worse ratings and 6 were Vizios.
Makes me really question their reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.56.37 PM.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1462585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.56.47 PM.png
Views:	273
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	1462593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.56.57 PM.png
Views:	244
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	1462601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.57.08 PM.png
Views:	233
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	1462609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.57.17 PM.png
Views:	238
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	1462617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.57.29 PM.png
Views:	225
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	1462625  
post #14189 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Can anyone here compare the 2015 M Series with the 2016 P Series? I am watching the NBA Playoffs and NHL Playoffs from a 60 inch 2015 M Series almost every night so I've gotten a good idea of the quality. Is it a huge difference?
I had the M80-C3 before and I still have an M55 and a 2014 P50. However, the P75 is my main Tv now. With the proper settings cable/Satellite looks great now. The colors on the P75 are much better than the M80. I didn't calibrate the P75 at all. There are too many issues with trying to calibrate it. Making a few simple changes to the "Calibrated" profile is all you need. The colors are slightly more vibrant than Accurate but still realistic and yet still better than the M80 could achieve.

I am so glad I sold my M80. It was a nice Tv but the P75 is sooooo much better.
post #14190 of 64106 Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperatorBellus View Post
Has anyone used the 55 or 65 inch version Chrome 4:4:4 a PC monitor? Have any problems with it? Maybe a firmware update made it better.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

"The P's 4:4:4 implementation is a bit blurrier than we would like, and we don't expect that will be the case for the KS8500. For that reason, the KS8500 will probably be better for prolonged PC use."
I'm using the P65-C1 as my PC monitor, [email protected] 4:4:4 on HMDI 5 from a GTX 960. Looks great to me! Came from a Panasonic Plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page