Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288589Likes

post #1411 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Eagle View Post
On a separate note, have any owners noticed any banding like the yellow vertical band visible in the bottom-center of the white image below?
finally some solid slides. would you mind posting some grey ones too (3, 5 and 10%)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If there's anyone who's upgraded from the old P series to the new P, how do the internal speakers sound? Do they sound similar? I only use my surround system when watching movies and some shows otherwise I use the internal speakers. Hope they're similar.

LG 65 B6P
Vizio 2014 P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500, Apple 4K TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV THX
Atlantic technology speakers 5.1 THX
post #1413 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
Ya the pic quality is excellent. Honestly gaming is great on all hdmi inputs. I've been messing with settings and fixed the dv. For whatever reason it turned my fald off by default. The judder is still there though but you get used to it. It's just annoying when people ask why the TV "skips". One bug I did encounter was that when I raised the brightness to fix the black levels on a vudu moving streaming dv, the next time I turned on the Tv to continue where I left off, the brightness was too high and all the blacks were gray. Dialed the setting back down to correct it. Haven't had the issue anymore but honestly I don't have much dv content. I just wish vizio would let me calibrate the cast setting without having to be be casting to access the settings. If you can live with the judder you should be fine. I only wish I would've gotten the 65 inch model because it's kinda hard to see the 4k benefits on a 55 inch.

The judder issue sounds like the same thing I've returned several Samsung's before. When it skips, is that with some smoothing on or without?

Has anyone else noticed this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
So bizarre. After showing none available for 250 miles around me for the last 2 days BB website says once again that all MD/DE/NJ stores will have 50" stock on Thursday. Musta been an inventory glitch and not the mafia stealing a truckload of em =) Maybe I will be able to pick mine up tomorrow after all.
Bamaboi89 likes this.

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
post #1415 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
My tutorial is super out of date but might be helpful as a general overview. Link in my sig. Your first calibration probably isn't that great, it takes a lot of practice and tweaking!

It is much easier to use the new calman app to autochange the patterns rather than the disc.

For the 2014 P, we generally calibrated to BT1886 gamma, typically starting from 2.4 base gamma.

Mostly ignore the CMS section as it was done when I didn't really understand it well
Mike__P, Googer and thomasfxlt like this.
post #1416 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Ya the pic quality is excellent. Honestly gaming is great on all hdmi inputs. I've been messing with settings and fixed the dv. For whatever reason it turned my fald off by default. The judder is still there though but you get used to it. It's just annoying when people ask why the TV "skips". One bug I did encounter was that when I raised the brightness to fix the black levels on a vudu moving streaming dv, the next time I turned on the Tv to continue where I left off, the brightness was too high and all the blacks were gray. Dialed the setting back down to correct it. Haven't had the issue anymore but honestly I don't have much dv content. I just wish vizio would let me calibrate the cast setting without having to be be casting to access the settings. If you can live with the judder you should be fine. I only wish I would've gotten the 65 inch model because it's kinda hard to see the 4k benefits on a 55 inch.
Is judder there permanently for gaming and blu-ray material?

-Vader
post #1417 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrarnold4385 View Post
Just got my TV unboxed and trying to set it up. Did anyone have these blotches on the setup screen:
Set mine up yesterday and it had the color swatches as well.
post #1418 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like this TV was great price wise and what you get for the price. Vizio P series has a challenger. Hisense curved with 200 zones coming in at 2 grand!!
post #1419 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cloudy, bleeding edges on 55" IPS

I am SUPER excited for this TV. I bought the 55" version, and it was delivered yesterday. I am very concerned though because I am having issues with the edges and corners having light bleeding through, VERY noticeably. Can Matt or anyone help? I don't know if its the same issue as listed below. I have set all of my backlight settings per the first post in this forum thread, to no avail. I would really love some help. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Eagle View Post
So interesting update, some of you may have seen the first two pictures below in an earlier post, where I and others decided my unit was defective because of the yellow cloud (FALD on and off).

With the help of Matt, Brett, and Zack from Vizio, my panel now looks like the last three images (FALD on/off black screen, FALD on Netflix splash).

The fix? Knocking on the panel. Apparently the panel can become misaligned during shipping and a few raps with my knuckle completely erased the cloud. Can't believe how responsive customer service was, kudos to those guys! And I still can't believe that worked...
post #1420 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Tappert View Post
I am SUPER excited for this TV. I bought the 55" version, and it was delivered yesterday. I am very concerned though because I am having issues with the edges and corners having light bleeding through, VERY noticeably. Can Matt or anyone help? I don't know if its the same issue as listed below. I have set all of my backlight settings per the first post in this forum thread, to no avail. I would really love some help. Thanks!!

Keep in mind the 55 is the only version with IPS. That may account for differences that aren't necessarily "problems". Your comments will be particularly valuable to some (myself included).
CWGriswold likes this.
post #1421 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
You need it to support HDR10 or Dolby Vision via HDMI, but not for streaming. Right now it has Dolby Vision for streaming, but if someone released a Dolby Vision capable UHD Blu-Ray player and Dolby Vision UHD Blu-Ray discs (we really need a less clunky name) tomorrow, it wouldn't be able to display them in Dolby Vision without the HDMI 2.0a update.

Dolby Vision does not require HDMI 2.0a , you can currently use CalMAN to send Dolby Vision patterns to the P-series and it will go into DV mode.
I'm assuming said patterns can be cast from the tablet using the mobile forge app. Has this been confirmed?
post #1422 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Sorry folks, but this always makes me chuckle...

We're taking pictures of WCG, HDR televisions with sRGB phones with pinhead sized sensors and no white balance calibration, compressing into 8bpp JPEGs, and most are viewing on uncalibrated computer displays of unknown quality. Why are we getting so critical?
This cracks me up too. Other than defects and blooming etc, what are people expecting to see? "oh wow! an awful quality cell phone picture on my uncalibrated monitor looks amazing!"
shoman94, thomasfxlt and toonj64 like this.
post #1423 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post
The judder issue sounds like the same thing I've returned several Samsung's before. When it skips, is that with some smoothing on or without?

If you have clear action off and reduce judder and motion blur set to 0 you will not have judder. The judder can occur if you play around with the motion smoothing settings.
post #1424 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
I am definitely enjoying all of the drama regarding cell phones pictures comparing this Vizio to a Samsung that costs twice as much. The fact that they are this close to begin with is a testament to what Vizio has accomplished. I, for one, am thrilled with this television. I am coming from the 2015 M80 and notice a huge improvement in every aspect of the PQ. The biggest improvement is obviously to the dimming system. I don't see any of the drawbacks of last years M series like dimming the whole picture with there's subtitles or a single light source in an indoor scene. The motion processing seems greatly improved as well. I am noticing a lot less issues with judder and blur. I truly believe the overall PQ is better than my ZT65 that still sits in the living room. While I understand that people will defend much more expensive sets that offer that last 5% refinement in processing, I can honestly say that this is the TV for anyone that just wants excellent PQ and has no brand loyality or bias.
VBB, SiGGy, Elvis Is Alive and 6 others like this.
post #1425 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
If you have clear action off and reduce judder and motion blur set to 0 you will not have judder. The judder can occur if you play around with the motion smoothing settings.

What if you have low smoothing? I like some minor smoothing and judder reduction.
post #1426 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
What if you have low smoothing? I like some minor smoothing and judder reduction.
I will have to do some more testing tonight. It seems like "2" is the highest you can go without judder.
post #1427 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello. Following this thread very closely; thanks to everyone for the input. I haven't seen anyone mention using the 4k Fire TV or Roku 4 to get Amazon streaming content. Is there any reason to think this wouldn't work well with these sets?
post #1428 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Keep in mind the 55 is the only version with IPS. That may account for differences that aren't necessarily "problems". Your comments will be particularly valuable to some (myself included).
Yeah, I'm very interested to hear more about this too. My 55 will be arriving on Thursday. Hoping for the best as far as the IPS panel goes. The 65 is out of my price range and the the 50 wouldn't suit my needs.

Have there been any official comments made by Vizio on what we should expect as far as the IPS display goes?
CWGriswold likes this.
post #1429 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedkatz View Post
Hello. Following this thread very closely; thanks to everyone for the input. I haven't seen anyone mention using the 4k Fire TV or Roku 4 to get Amazon streaming content. Is there any reason to think this wouldn't work well with these sets?
It works fine with regular Amazon streams but NOT HDR.

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
post #1430 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedkatz View Post
No Dolby Vision or HDR

Mike

post #1431 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will have to do some more testing tonight. It seems like "2" is the highest you can go without judder.

It's so weird and disappointing to me that Sony seems to be the only company that has a good handle on motion. You can do whatever you want with the settings on a Sony and you will never see skipping. It's also ridiculous that those settings are there to reduce judder but they cause skipping which is way more distracting.

Thanks in advance for testing it more. I'm looking forward to your input!
post #1432 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So how are the screen reflections on this display? For those of you that have it in a room with windows or other light sources opposite the screen, how noticeable are they?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #1433 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I am coming from the 2015 M80 and notice a huge improvement in every aspect of the PQ. The biggest improvement is obviously to the dimming system. I don't see any of the drawbacks of last years M series like dimming the whole picture with there's subtitles or a single light source in an indoor scene. The motion processing seems greatly improved as well. I am noticing a lot less issues with judder and blur. I truly believe the overall PQ is better than my ZT65 that still sits in the living room. While I understand that people will defend much more expensive sets that offer that last 5% refinement in processing, I can honestly say that this is the TV for anyone that just wants excellent PQ and has no brand loyality or bias.
I have a 2013 80" M. How far back do you sit? I sit about 12' or so. I'm really concerned I'm going to notice and dislike the 5" size reduction. Any thoughts on going smaller?

My P75 is ordered. I'm meeting my installer today to redo some wiring and get prepped for Atmos. Set my delivery for ~3 weeks from now to get the other work done and make sure I'm confident on the buy.
post #1434 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Can anyone put the TV through it's paces for casting from Plex? I'm curious about video codec support (AVC, VC1, MPEG2, etc without transcoding) and audio ARC passthrough (native DD/DTS passthrough and so on).
C0pp3r likes this.
post #1435 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Exactly. If I post a picture, it's for fun, never for comparative analysis. It's the P series "Owners" thread and we're suppose to be able to enjoy being here and sharing out experience with others. Happy to share with interested parties as well as long as they respect our thread.

We should be able to be open about our experience both good and bad. The goal is to own a great display. I can tell you it's far from perfect and all of the flaws will be laid bare but it's equally incredible. Let's help Matt and his team get it right and not get distracted by the noise.

Everyone can do what they want but I'm not commenting on anything relative to a comparison nor will I respond to anything that doesn't appear objective.

I put a meter on the TV last night and I'm already getting asked to post data. I'm not ready to do that. First, I'm not a professional calibrator. I'm an experienced enthusiast with a very strong background in color management, prepress and professional photography. When I feel I fully understand where I'm at I'll share things with sincere parties.
Hey Thomas, this may have been answered here and there but since you da man (well, ONE, of the man!) I figured you could answer real quick and most importantly CORRECTLY

So when comparing to our M series, what seems to be fixed? I'm thinking motion handling, FALD "delayed" diming, VP9 support for Youtube, odd "design choices" such as supporting x265 but not x264, having one color temp setting apply across the whole TV, you know the stuff I'm talking about
post #1436 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfucci View Post
Yeah, I'm very interested to hear more about this too. My 55 will be arriving on Thursday. Hoping for the best as far as the IPS panel goes. The 65 is out of my price range and the the 50 wouldn't suit my needs.

Have there been any official comments made by Vizio on what we should expect as far as the IPS display goes?
I'm also interested in the feedback on the 55". Looking forward to hearing your thoughts (and hopefully seeing some pics!) after you get yours set up.
post #1437 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
This cracks me up too. Other than defects and blooming etc, what are people expecting to see? "oh wow! an awful quality cell phone picture on my uncalibrated monitor looks amazing!"
Which is not to say that excited owners shouldn't post pictures, or that cell phone pics don't have some value (blooming etc...). Being hyper-critical or super excited based on cell phone pics and browser displays which lack calibration, proper color space, dynamic range and end-to-end quality is probably futile
post #1438 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
Quote:
Is judder there permanently for gaming and blu-ray material?

-Vader
Only skipping from my htpc. Doesn't skip from ps3 or casting. But it's really annoying as a htpc. The only thing that's helped is using a 120 Hertz. Smoothing doesn't help. My last 2 TVs ( panny plasma and sharp q) never ever had this issue so this was unbearable to me but I got used to it already. Still a good TV.
tigerfan33 likes this.
post #1439 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quote:

I have it set that way already. The problem is the 3:2 pulldown. Watching movies over 60 Hertz from my htpc is unbearable. My other TVs never had judder.
post #1440 of 64411 Old 03-29-2016, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Exactly. If I post a picture, it's for fun, never for comparative analysis. It's the P series "Owners" thread and we're suppose to be able to enjoy being here and sharing out experience with others. Happy to share with interested parties as well as long as they respect our thread.

We should be able to be open about our experience both good and bad. The goal is to own a great display. I can tell you it's far from perfect and all of the flaws will be laid bare but it's equally incredible. Let's help Matt and his team get it right and not get distracted by the noise.

Everyone can do what they want but I'm not commenting on anything relative to a comparison nor will I respond to anything that doesn't appear objective.

I put a meter on the TV last night and I'm already getting asked to post data. I'm not ready to do that. First, I'm not a professional calibrator. I'm an experienced enthusiast with a very strong background in color management, prepress and professional photography. When I feel I fully understand where I'm at I'll share things with sincere parties.
Well said! Thank you Thomas for all that you have done and will continue to do on this thread. I for one have found your input and other owners input invaluable in making my decision to purchase this display. Can't wait to take delivery on Thursday and add my input to the discussion.
Oldways7 likes this.

Samsung 55JS9000
Vizio P65-C1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page