Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 502 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288527Likes

post #15031 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
... The only thing I want is HDR10. I read somewhere on AVS forum that Vizio may be waiting for Dynamic HDR to be released before giving us the update...
Which Dynamic HDR? HDR10 ST 2094-10 or HDR10 ST 2094-20 or HDR10 ST 2094-30 or HDR10 ST 2094-40?

"SMPTE ST 2094: Content-Dependent Metadata for Color Volume Transformation of High Luminance and Wide Color Gamut Images

ST 2094-10 Application #1
ST 2094-20 Application #2
ST 2094-30 Application #3
ST 2094-40 Application #4

This reflects the four detailed method disclosures received from Dolby, Philips, Technicolor, Samsung that are considered sufficiently different to make it impossible to rationalize into a single method."
https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/...2015-FINAL.pdf
http://phenix.it-sudparis.eu/jct/doc...ch_sub_group=1
Brandon B likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Isn't it amazing that you just did start a rumor that disregards the latest confirmation from Matt McRae.

The May 24th re re re confirmation.
Yeah I know, just wondering if anyone else heard the outlandish jibberish. Sure am getting impatient on this update. I want to be able to hook up my 4K Bluray player to do some comparisons between HDR10 and DV...

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar
post #15033 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
Which Dynamic HDR? HDR10 ST 2094-10 or HDR10 ST 2094-20 or HDR10 ST 2094-30 or HDR10 ST 2094-40?

"SMPTE ST 2094: Content-Dependent Metadata for Color Volume Transformation of High Luminance and Wide Color Gamut Images

ST 2094-10 Application #1
ST 2094-20 Application #2
ST 2094-30 Application #3
ST 2094-40 Application #4

This reflects the four detailed method disclosures received from Dolby, Philips, Technicolor, Samsung that are considered sufficiently different to make it impossible to rationalize into a single method."
https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/...2015-FINAL.pdf
http://phenix.it-sudparis.eu/jct/doc...ch_sub_group=1
You're blowing my mind...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15034 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Oh great. Now I have to decide if I want the extra 5" from the new 2016 80"M series lol...http://www.vizio.com/m-series

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #15035 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnah View Post
Couple of questions, yes I searched the thread and just need some advice/confirmation. I am getting audio dropouts via VUDU and Netflix over ARC to a Marantz 7010 and have replaced the HDMI cable to high-end audioquest. I have read that some have the issue and others do not, any other suggestions or should I just move on to optical and wait for Vizio to address?

Lastly, anyone had any success pairing a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet via BT? According to the specs, the Shield K1 has BT LE and should work, but have been unsuccessful. WIFI is a hit and miss...

P65-C1 and latest firmware (1.1.14).

Thanks
So just to confirm, you are still getting ARC dropouts over the Audiquest cable with your Marantz receiver?
post #15036 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabayrays View Post
ScaryLarry, I sort of feel the same way but I think that it is just marco polo...
Back when Blu-ray was new and in a format war similar things happened frequently. "The Fifth Element" on DVD had been extremely popular in high end home theater demo rooms. It was great for checking DLP sets too.

When it was released on Blu-ray is was defectively bad not just a bit bad. Magnolia's stand alone store in Palo Alto used it to demo one of their high end plasma sets for a while. A little later there was a second Blu-ray release of "The Fifth Element" that actually showed how much better Blu-ray in 1080p was than DVD. It then became clear that Blu-ray on it's own couldn't overcome a poor transfer. There is going to be a lot of that for a while -- crap with an HDR label of some kind on the package.
scarylarry and tampabayrays like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #15037 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Yeah I know, just wondering if anyone else heard the outlandish jibberish. Sure am getting impatient on this update. I want to be able to hook up my 4K Bluray player to do some comparisons between HDR10 and DV...
June isn't in the estimate so somehow you have to survive into the middle of July and then there will possibly be another week or two to wait given the original and unchanged estimate. A good dog can be a great help with internal stress.

Enjoy.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #15038 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
ScaryLarry, I sort of feel the same way but I think that it is just marco polo. On my 65, it seemed a little dark and not too vibrant. I have not tried a Vudu DV movie yet, which many have said are awesome. MP seems like it was filmed with a certain "darkness". It does seem incredibly realistic and crisp, though. I have seen DV flip on and off and definitely did notice a difference between non-hdr and hdr modes.

I was going to tell you to follow the procedure to assure DV kicks on, but I re read your post and see that you did. You could try playing with the gamma settings to see which looks best to you (but not any others). 2.4 gamma will have more color but will be darker, 1.8 or 2.0 will be much brighter, but you will loose a little color vividness. 2.2 should be what it is set on by default (i think) and will be a nice balance.
I don't agree with the posts that Marco Polo doesn't look that great in DV.

I'm actually watching it for a second time and I think it looks amazing.

I've watched The Lego Movie and Mad Max in DV on VUDU.

Here in my light controlled viewing environment Marco Polo looks better than both The Lego Movie and Mad Max.

Marco Polo really looks to my eyes like A LOT of thought was put into shooting this series to take advantage of Dolby Vision. The way the scenes are lit is (imho) a fantastic use of DV and really shows off what it can do.

Just my 2 cents.
Kruppa and tampabayrays like this.
post #15039 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Oh great. Now I have to decide if I want the extra 5" from the new 2016 80"M series lol...http://www.vizio.com/m-series

Unless you don't care about HDR10, more zones, WCG not sure there is even a "choice". 5" are great if it's apples to apples, in this case they are not.

Sent from nowhere
tampabayrays likes this.
post #15040 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofDoubleD View Post

Here in my light controlled viewing environment Marco Polo looks better than both The Lego Movie and Mad Max.

Marco Polo really looks to my eyes like A LOT of thought was put into shooting this series to take advantage of Dolby Vision. The way the scenes are lit is (imho) a fantastic use of DV and really shows off what it can do.

Just my 2 cents.
@LordofDoubleD , this is interesting. Off the top of your head, can you think of any particular scenes/moments that might show it off?

I see a few possibilities here, and I'm trying to figure out which is true.

1) I don't know what to look for/I'm expecting too much. Without a doubt, MP looks *good* to me, but so does all the well-shot 4K content I've seen on my P50. I was expecting astonishingly vibrant colors or highlights, but I didn't see anything that wowed me any more than SDR 4K content.

2) The P50 doesn't have a very wide color gamut. Someone upthread suggested this, after seconding my response about MP. I hope this isn't the case! I can't go bigger than 55 inches, and I'd rather have the VA panel than the IPS.

3) MP isn't a particularly good showcase for DV. This is what a few people have suggested, and I'm hoping it's true, but you seem to feel the opposite. I guess I can verify this by taking my credit card out and renting a Vudu movie.

Anyway, in the case of #1 , perhaps there is something I'm not seeing or not looking for in Marco Polo. Any tips for what to look out for?

This takes me back to the 90s, when everyone was going nuts over those Magic Eye posters, and I could never make it work for me.
tampabayrays likes this.
post #15041 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
I want to be able to hook up my 4K Bluray player to do some comparisons between HDR10 and DV...

here is a comparison :

Scene by Scene contrast HDR10 (Static) and Dolby Vision (Dynamic).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvandhdr10.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1474377  
post #15042 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarylarry View Post
@LordofDoubleD

2) The P50 doesn't have a very wide color gamut. Someone upthread suggested this, after seconding my response about MP. I hope this isn't the case!
"Someone suggested..." isn't a good basis for a lens through which you might be seeing every source that you select to view on your new display. Have you been able to find anything in the specifications for the P-Series that would indicate a designed difference in WCG across the four models?

Suggestion is a powerful force that we are all susceptible to. That force might be effecting your expectation.

Should your first sentence in item two have been something like this?

The P50 doesn't have a very wide WCG.

What I expect from WCG is better transitions between different shades of the same basic color in a sunset for instance. That may be a lower expectation than it should be.
scarylarry likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #15043 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
"Someone suggested..." isn't a good basis for a lens through which you might be seeing every source that you select to view on your new display. Have you been able to find anything in the specifications for the P-Series that would indicate a designed difference in WCG across the four models?

Suggestion is a powerful force that we are all susceptible to. That force might be effecting your expectation.

Should your first sentence in item two have been something like this?

The P50 doesn't have a very wide WCG.

What I expect from WCG is better transitions between different shades of the same basic color in a sunset for instance. That may be a lower expectation than it should be.
I'm sure you're right, htwaits. I'm a noob on this forum, and a noob to these technologies, but I'm interested and trying to learn!

When I said someone suggested this, I was just referring to the fact that someone who was similarly unimpressed with DV Marco Polo on the P50 had wondered whether these panels might have a less wide WCG. But of course everything from Vizio/Matt suggests that the panels in the p-series are effectively the same, the only differences being the IPS panel on the 55" and the and the 60hz on the 50". No one from Vizio has suggested anything about a difference in color gamut.
metawall likes this.
post #15044 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Back when Blu-ray was new and in a format war similar things happened frequently. "The Fifth Element" on DVD had been extremely popular in high end home theater demo rooms. It was great for checking DLP sets too.

When it was released on Blu-ray is was defectively bad not just a bit bad. Magnolia's stand alone store in Palo Alto used it to demo one of their high end plasma sets for a while. A little later there was a second Blu-ray release of "The Fifth Element" that actually showed how much better Blu-ray in 1080p was than DVD. It then became clear that Blu-ray on it's own couldn't overcome a poor transfer. There is going to be a lot of that for a while -- crap with an HDR label of some kind on the package.
Absolutely. I agree that we will be seeing this type of trend again in the coming months and years...and not only conversion issues, but the implementation of HDR tech by different streaming companies. I'm happy we will have both HDR options on this display.

In this particular case, aside from potential conversion issues, I think that the director/cinematographer chose not to enhance or highlight vibrant colors. MP looked very realistic and crisp, but did not have intensely-bright backgrounds (e.g. the bright green field on the baseball game I'm currently watching or something like the movie Hero). I think DV will 'pop' more with other shows or movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofDoubleD View Post

Just my 2 cents.
That is an interesting observation. Completely contradictory to what I just wrote above lol. I'd be interested if you could provide a particular scene or episode that you may have noted looked good (as someone else asked). I can't believe that it looked better than Lego or MM, which people have said look really good. The calibrated dark settings is just too dim for me, and I'm thinking that MP would look amazing if I could turn the backlight up. Not to say I'm unhappy with the display, it's fantastic.

Anyway, I may be exchanging my tv for a new 65 through Vizio due to a yellow spot visible during regular content. At least Id have another to compare to.
post #15045 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Anyway, I may be exchanging my tv for a new 65 through Vizio due to a yellow spot visible during regular content. At least Id have another to compare to.
What display do you have now?

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #15046 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
What display do you have now?
P65 purchased from BB a month ago
post #15047 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrarnold4385 View Post
That's working as intended since HDX is a 1080p format.

Do you have the higher level Netflix package that lets you stream 4k content? Have you also checked your internet to make sure you have the bandwidth needed to stream? Are you wired or wireless connection to your display?
Do you have the higher level Netflix package that lets you stream 4k content? YES
Have you also checked your internet to make sure you have the bandwidth needed to stream? 150mps down
Are you wired or wireless connection to your display? Wired ethernet
post #15048 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
I'm sure you're right, htwaits. I'm a noob on this forum, and a noob to these technologies, but I'm interested and trying to learn!
Keep in mind that I don't know anymore about this new technology than you do.

Quote:
When I said someone suggested this, I was just referring to the fact that someone who was similarly unimpressed with DV Marco Polo on the P50 had wondered whether these panels might have a less wide WCG.
Today seems to be my day for rumor propagation. Two people wondering about the same thing, and in print, could be defined as a rumor. If it's not, it will be very soon. The fact that triggers my "set the record straight" disability shouldn't inhibit you.

I once played a rumor game with nine other American college students and ten Japanese college students. The Japanese students had all studied English from primary school. We alternated by nation of origin using English. Any twenty people playing the rumor game will get very funny results. Throw in half of them speaking a second language to native speakers and you've got pandemonium.

Quote:
But of course everything from Vizio/Matt suggests that the panels in the p-series are effectively the same, the only differences being the IPS panel on the 55" and the and the 60hz on the 50". No one from Vizio has suggested anything about a difference in color gamut.
I assume that they are right too, but I will buy the P65 if it ever comes to that.
tampabayrays likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #15049 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlysmith View Post
Do you have the higher level Netflix package that lets you stream 4k content? YES
Have you also checked your internet to make sure you have the bandwidth needed to stream? 150mps down
Are you wired or wireless connection to your display? Wired ethernet
All good!

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #15050 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I went to BB tonight to check out the P65. It was not on so I asked them to turn it on but it had no source. There was a Vizio rep there and he told me they were making a USB demo copy and would be ready shortly. I waited it out and was talking to the Best Buy guy. Really nice, tried to get me to go for a Samsung. Lol. Anyway the demo showed up and I was really impressed. Loved the picture, quality and was awesome.

The LG OLED was next to it and honestly, it was a tad better however, bang for what you get is clearly the Vizio. Just can't see myself paying 4.5k for a tv.
htwaits and The_Donster like this.
post #15051 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Unless you don't care about HDR10, more zones, WCG not sure there is even a "choice". 5" are great if it's apples to apples, in this case they are not.

Sent from nowhere
70" for $2K... enticing. 64 zones should be good enough. How do you know it's not getting HDR10?

post #15052 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
here is a comparison :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfyO-WiT4c

Nah, gotta do my own comparison... in house. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder plus I can't compare them from a video when the Vizio can't even display HDR10 yet.

post #15053 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
70" for $2K... enticing. 64 zones should be good enough. How do you know it's not getting HDR10?

Unlike the P series there has been no mention of 2.0a update which is needed. Form the specs it appears to be basically the same as previous with more zones and DV. Not to mention it is kissing WCG. "Good enough" for what that is the question. It's a good transition TV, but not something that would allow you to watch UHDBRs at the moment with HDR. It's not a bad TV per se, but not something I would decide upon if keeping the TV for more than 1-2 years at max.

Sent from nowhere
post #15054 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
here is a comparison :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfyO-WiT4c

I can't even get past the fact that the guy ain't speaking english in the video, lol.

post #15055 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
@LordofDoubleD , this is interesting. Off the top of your head, can you think of any particular scenes/moments that might show it off?

I see a few possibilities here, and I'm trying to figure out which is true.

1) I don't know what to look for/I'm expecting too much. Without a doubt, MP looks *good* to me, but so does all the well-shot 4K content I've seen on my P50. I was expecting astonishingly vibrant colors or highlights, but I didn't see anything that wowed me any more than SDR 4K content.

2) The P50 doesn't have a very wide color gamut. Someone upthread suggested this, after seconding my response about MP. I hope this isn't the case! I can't go bigger than 55 inches, and I'd rather have the VA panel than the IPS.

3) MP isn't a particularly good showcase for DV. This is what a few people have suggested, and I'm hoping it's true, but you seem to feel the opposite. I guess I can verify this by taking my credit card out and renting a Vudu movie.

Anyway, in the case of #1 , perhaps there is something I'm not seeing or not looking for in Marco Polo. Any tips for what to look out for?

This takes me back to the 90s, when everyone was going nuts over those Magic Eye posters, and I could never make it work for me.
First a disclaimer: a small display, lighted room, long seating distance from the display - these are all things that are going to lessen the effect of DV and WCG - it's just the way life is.

So at my place, with a close seating distance, bias light only, large screen - I'm really impressed with Marco Polo and DV in general.

What you are looking for in Marco Polo (and YMMV) are the scenes where there is a big contrast between light and dark

They do this all of the time in Marco Polo and I think it looks amazing: they'll shoot a dark interior and have bright sunlight streaming through a window, candles/flames, one scene in particular that I remember is in the first episode when they are entering the Khan's chamber/throne room - when the (priest?) mongols come through the door only their faces are brightly illuminated - their clothing and the interior of the chamber are really dark.

I also love (and I think this is the WCG at work) no banding, smooth, step-free, areas of color like blue skies - and the colors in general seem deeper and richer.

Just some ideas
shoman94 and scarylarry like this.
post #15056 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On another note, I think that FALD has spoiled me. I just seen someone post pics of another TV and I was like yuck... edge lit (light bleed), LOL!

Bamaboi89 likes this.
post #15057 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Thanks for showing that. So I'm still in my warranty repair waiting period to get confirmation. It seems the 80" is the same price as the 75" P series. I'm certain that means some downgrades. But I'm in your boat, The bigger the better for me (I'm mainly watching just 1080p blu rays and playing PS4 games on it).

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
post #15058 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Thanks for showing that. So I'm still in my warranty repair waiting period to get confirmation. It seems the 80" is the same price as the 75" P series. I'm certain that means some downgrades. But I'm in your boat, The bigger the better for me (I'm mainly watching just 1080p blu rays and playing PS4 games on it).
I always wanted an 80"... compensating... don't judge me

Brandon B and Ian c2 like this.
post #15059 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by e03179 View Post
I occasionally have this problem too.

And on occasion, I'm able to "fix" the problem by switching from a 1080i signal to a 720p signal and back. So, if I turn on the DirecTV STB, AVR, and TV and the TV displays the "no signal" message, I'll switch the DirecTV STB to, say, Channel 206 to get the ESPN 720p signal and then switch to a 1080i signal. A lot of the time, the picture will come on after a couple of channel changes.

If it doesn't, I'll use a remote (I've got my DirecTV remote able to change TV inputs) to change the input to the "CAST" input and then back to the "DirecTV HDMI" port. It's annoying, but it works. (I wonder if the resolution of the signal when the TV is powered off somehow affects the "no signal" issue when the TV is next powered up). Half the time, maybe more than half the time, the TV finds the DirecTV signal and displays the picture.

I'm waiting for the new VIZIO Soundbars to come out. I'm hoping to replace my AVR (which I don't pass any video through---it's only gets audio from the DirecTV STB) and hoping that somehow the Soundbar will magically help all the handshaking that takes place when powering up the home theater.
After getting a replacement p65 all of my problems stopped so I know now it wasn't a handshake issue with the Dtv or a hdmi cord problem. I'm guessing it was defect in the tv such as a dirty connection or bug.
shoman94 and NeronetFi like this.
post #15060 of 64230 Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Is be careful with the new PS4K rumored to be coming out . We have a couple owners who went from the 80" 2015 M to 75" 2016 P. Take a look at some of their posts while not an exact one for one, it will give you an idea, especially from one of the former M series "champions"

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page