Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 523 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288526Likes

post #15661 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
The complaints this morning make me curious about the network setup in the homes of those having trouble. Nothing involving any LAN I've ever had has been plug and play or trouble free.

What seems to be common about today's complaints is how few questions have been ask, how little information has been provided to set the stage for the tablet problems, and that no one mentions information from post number one. Also, no one has reported asking Vizio for setup help.

I don't have direct experience with the P-Series displays, but in reading this thread, I know that most people who post here have had trouble free installations. Others have had problems. From reading contributions from people with extensive network experience, I know that many times the trouble is related to LAN issues and/or P-Series setup. Once in a while it's a defective tablet and Vizio is in the best position to determine that.

If someone thinks they bought a piece of trash there are two choices. Return it for a refund, or take a deep breath, and use the resources available to determine what's wrong.

Enjoy.
'

I wonder if there is any commonality between it not working and using a wi-fi network connection to the TV instead of an Ethernet cable hard wired in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15662 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsco View Post
Its is not an issue with the Netflix app. The "app" is nothing more than a library of videos you can direct the TV to fetch and play. I also have a P65 and a SC-95 and have been casting netflix and getting DD 5.1 over ARC with no audio problems what so ever with the P65 set to bitstream. Set CEC to ARC only on both the P65 and SC-95 and see if that fixes it. Do any other casted apps and give you DD 5.1? Also are you sure the netflix title you are watching is in surround and not stereo? You dont have both the optical and HDMI connection hooked up to the SC-95 do you?
+1
Hurrah it works!!!!
Thank you so much! I had played around with this at one time. But it did not work. Maybe I needed to power off the system to get it to re-sync flags. Which I did not do before. You must also select the input TV. For it to work. What a pain the butt. Well I am happy now sort of. A bit bum I lost the control. But I will give that up for surround sound!

Thanks Again!
post #15663 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
I haven't used vudu yet , but Netflix casting is still working fine for me after the update .

Did you try casting from a different provider ?

With so many variables it's hard to pin the blame on one until you have tried them all , then used a process of elimination .
There are no alternative 4K HDR streaming providers that I know of.

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15664 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
. [..] too bad the tablet cant be a universal remote as well.
See: Harmony Hub

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=harmony+hub

Haven't tried one, but it sounds tempting. My old harmony remote is still holding up for now. A few people here have them.The hub itself for 90 is a decent price, but I feel that having the regular remote capabilities as well would be nice for some activities.
post #15665 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
At least on VUDU it's easy to fix. Just select UHD and watch now from the app.
I just tried this again 3 days later. It goes to constant beachball as soon as I tell it UHD.

I have no idea how you are getting it to play without starting on the tablet, can you be more specific?

Sam Posten
post #15666 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
Sounds like Vizio needs to use your settings as the default.
It definitely helps the speed and battery life of the tablet. Unfortunately for us (in those regards) Vizio uses the default google setup.This is much easier for them to not have to design a whole UI/OS, and focus on the displays instead.

But it's easy enough to setup/remove whatever you need to streamline the tablet. In the long run it definitely helps to have a standard android tablet with the individual apps that can all be maintained by their individual creators.
post #15667 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
What I do now is play them through our OPPO Blu-ray player. Full USB function doesn't have to be in a display. I've got all our Blu-ray disks backed up on hard drives that I connect to the OPPO. Thumb drives work fine too.
Thank you, I am using my PS4 and have no problems. I didn't even think to use my blu-ray player>
htwaits and pos1121 like this.

Please Support My Blu-Ray/4K Collection Part-Out here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-p...-out-work.html
post #15668 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I apologize if I missed this answer somewhere, but all the sudden my vizio p65 won't send an audio signal to the receiver when I turn it on with my pc. PC plugged into HDMI 3. Was all working fine. ARC from HDMI 1 to my receiver. Previously it would work immediately and I could use volume on tv remote or tablet to change volume to receiver. Now that doesn't work. I have to actually go into settings and turn speakers off then on to get any audio whatsoever. Thoughts?
post #15669 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but VIZIO has the new Smartcast sound bars up on their site. It says coming soon and is listed for $499.99 for the 5.1 model and $449.99 for the 3.1 model.
http://www.vizio.com/audio.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
e03179, EMINENT1 and Anago like this.

Samsung 55JS9000
Vizio P65-C1
post #15670 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This piece of junk is getting worse instead of better. I redid the setup and now when the ****ty app crashes my TV needs to have power removed and back again. I bet I'm past my return period but I want to throw this thing out the window.

Sam Posten
post #15671 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabayrays View Post

Haven't tried one, but it sounds tempting. My old harmony remote is still holding up for now. A few people here have them.The hub itself for 90 is a decent price, but I feel that having the regular remote capabilities as well would be nice for some activities.
I have the hub and use the app on the tablet,it's works fine.annoying to have to switch between the smartcast app and the harmony app tho>
tampabayrays likes this.
post #15672 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post
'

I wonder if there is any commonality between it not working and using a wi-fi network connection to the TV instead of an Ethernet cable hard wired in.
The answer is probably in the details that get left out of each report like Ethernet/WiFi vs WiFi alone. There are a lot of other small details that are not reported or that have changed but the member doesn't remember the change.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #15673 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
What I do now is play them through our OPPO Blu-ray player. Full USB function doesn't have to be in a display. I've got all our Blu-ray disks backed up on hard drives that I connect to the OPPO. Thumb drives work fine too.
Quote:
I was just pointing out one way to watch USB stored videos.

While I was using a HTPC to play DVD sources on a DLP display back in 2004, I lost interest in HTPC inputs when we got the Kuro. I'm probably going to upgrade a four year old router before we get into casting, and I'll make sure the new one has a USB port. The old one does, so maybe they are standard now.

Thanks for the information.
HT-
Actually that was meant to be a multi quote and was directed more towards Istorm- he posted "Dang, so how do people play content from external hard drives on this set? "
post #15674 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alright so I've got the 50 inch model and here's the issue I've got. When using chromecast the stream, youtube/netflix will flicker in and out for any where from 30 seconds to a minute. After that it returns to normal and everything is fine.

As seen here. The display itself is not completely blanking out as you can see the time progress bar is still visible the entire time. It's also not a buffering issue because the video is paused. Anyone run into this issue or have any idea what could be causing it? It already factory reset the TV thinking I messed with a setting somewhere but that didnt resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated!

If anyone is curious I've got a youtube video of it acting up but cant link it because I dont have enough posts, but I could PM it.
post #15675 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestr View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but VIZIO has the new Smartcast sound bars up on their site. It says coming soon and is listed for $499.99 for the 5.1 model and $449.99 for the 3.1 model.
http://www.vizio.com/audio.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those surround speakers must be the cat's meow.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #15676 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The answer is probably in the details that get left out of each report like Ethernet/WiFi vs WiFi alone. There are a lot of other small details that are not reported or that have changed but the member doesn't remember the change.
I was wondering if my issue was the opposite. I'm wired to the TV and obviously wireless to the tablet. VERY frustrating that this is not working. It's not my settings, it's the TV.

Sam Posten
post #15677 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
This piece of junk is getting worse instead of better. I redid the setup and now when the ****ty app crashes my TV needs to have power removed and back again. I bet I'm past my return period but I want to throw this thing out the window.
How much help have you ask for from Vizio support?
mpgxsvcd likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #15678 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
I was wondering if my issue was the opposite. I'm wired to the TV and obviously wireless to the tablet. VERY frustrating that this is not working. It's not my settings, it's the TV.
It's hard to tell from your posts.
Ph8te and thomasfxlt like this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #15679 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guganslof View Post
Alright so I've got the 50 inch model and here's the issue I've got. When using chromecast the stream, youtube/netflix will flicker in and out for any where from 30 seconds to a minute. After that it returns to normal and everything is fine.

As seen here. The display itself is not completely blanking out as you can see the time progress bar is still visible the entire time. It's also not a buffering issue because the video is paused. Anyone run into this issue or have any idea what could be causing it? It already factory reset the TV thinking I messed with a setting somewhere but that didnt resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated!

If anyone is curious I've got a youtube video of it acting up but cant link it because I dont have enough posts, but I could PM it.
Sounds very similar to my issue. Unfortunately I was never able to fix it without doing a power cycle (holding power button). Contacted Vizio and they replaced with anew set which is working great.

See if the issue is similar to this (note the picture drops completely but subtitles are still present)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vizio P65-C1, PS4, XBOX One
Onkyo TX-NR646, Goldenear 5.1.2, Velodyne DD-15
post #15680 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And now it's working again with minimal hitches.

I changed nothing except power cycles on the tv and tablet.

/smh

Sam Posten
post #15681 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post
'

I use a wifi connection and have never had any issues with using the tablet or casting. In fact this is my second P55 and both setups went flawlessly. I do have a dual band and reserve the 5ghz band for the Vizio. I have not used Vudu but do stream 4K from YouTube and Netflix. I alternate between my iPhone and V-tablet for Smart Cast. There is hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #15682 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Looking for a suggestion from fellow owners that know more about all of this than me...

About to get my new P65 set up, but I was wondering about how best to set up the audio. I've got an older Denon AVR that does 7.1, but not 4k, so I was thinking about using the TV's HDMI ports for my devices and then sending the audio back down to the AVR through ARC. Do I have the right idea here, or is there a better way to do this to get my surround sound along with the 4K picture?

Thanks!
post #15683 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabayrays View Post

We've had various Harmony remotes over the years and always liked them. I decided to get a Harmony Hub to go with my P65's tablet and I love it. Don't have to worry about pointing the tablet at anything, the app panels are customizable, the whole thing works great. It takes having one remote for everything to the next level.
shoman94 and tampabayrays like this.
post #15684 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBlue View Post
Looking for a suggestion from fellow owners that know more about all of this than me...

About to get my new P65 set up, but I was wondering about how best to set up the audio. I've got an older Denon AVR that does 7.1, but not 4k, so I was thinking about using the TV's HDMI ports for my devices and then sending the audio back down to the AVR through ARC. Do I have the right idea here, or is there a better way to do this to get my surround sound along with the 4K picture?

Thanks!
It all depends on your devices really .
If you have a device that is 4K , it should be better straight into the 4K display .
post #15685 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I've been skimming thru the Youtube posts, and if you sign into a Youtube account, you can have it default to the highest rez possible while watching(account settings). I don't know if that's possible thru the set, as I don't have it yet. I doubt it's the set telling Youtube the wrong speed. My net speed is very fast(router close to my Macbook) and the auto-detect rez from Youtube when I'm *NOT* signed into my account NEVER gives me the highest rez available.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #15686 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I have a replacement on the way. It's the TV. If support can't make it work then exchange it! All the other devices in my house can cast just fine.
post #15687 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmzz2 View Post
It's in the YouTube app. Go into the YouTube settings and enable stats for nerds then when you hit the 3 little dots in the top right hand corner you can select the stats.
Wait, I must've missed this post. Are you only checking the YouTube app for resolution or the Smartcast app or both?

2016 Vizio P65-C1
2014 Vizio P50-B1E
2011 Vizio E3D420VX
2016 Vizio Smartcast Soundbar 5.1 SB4551-D5, Xbox One S, Roku 3, Mini-itx HTPC w/i7-6700k Plex Server
post #15688 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1119
Quote:
Did you uninstall the app and try reinstalling the app, for the Play store to tell you the app isn't compatible with this device? Or was that someone else?
post #15689 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Greetings everyone, I have been browsing these forums for a long time but first time poster. I purchased the P65 about a month and a half ago, managing to snag the only one that the local best buy had in inventory that was pegged for store demo but they gave it to me brand new and un-opened. I was inititally very impressed with the picture of the unit, having come from a Panasonic VT-60 plasma. the picture was great and watching Pacific Rim on Vudu in HDR was a great experience, especially after some brief initial calibration using this site as a guideline. Unfortunately my joy was short lived as I began to have issues. Used it for a few weeks and began to have a terrible banding that covered the right 50% of the screen. the issue wasn't tied to any particular HDMI port, whether it was directly to the TV or through the AVR. I tried unplugging all and the result was the same. It would pop up and randomly disappear and work fine till the next time.

I spoke with Vizio and did the usual troubleshooting steps and after that plus pictures I provided, they decided to send me a replacement. A week later the new TV arrived and before they left, we powered it up to make sure it was good. TV looked fine, but the new tablet wouldn't boot at all, so I just kept my original. The following day I went to turn it on and there was nothing but a black picture on any input. I could load up the on-screen display, casting apps etc and could see vudu/netflix just fine as far as the base program, but the moment you tried to play an actual movie you would only see black screen. If you paused it, the pause menu item would display but nothing of the video would show. After about 10-15 minutes of this you would start seeing flashes of the video and it would stay on the screen longer and flash more frequent until it would finally stay. Almost seemed like whatever it was, was doing a warm-up of sorts and would finally stay on once the TV had warmed up. Weird that it would only affect actual video and not the on-screen portions of the program.

Another phone call and trouble shooting to vizio and they once again could not resolve the issue and decided to send another replacement which will be arriving on the 15th. So this will be my 3rd TV in the span of less than 2 months. I've been told that if this one has an issue, they will put in for a refund. I'm not hear to slam the TV or vizio by any means. I can't say I'm not disappointed in the issues I've had in such a short period of time, but they have at least been good about getting it replaced. hopefully the third times a charm as they say. If not then I will move on and try something else.

Just wanted to share my experiences thus far in case anyone else was having similar issues. For reference firmware was updated to newest version anytime there was an update and the usual troubleshooting steps were tried, but the issues were never tied to anything connected to the tv and hard reset had no affect on either issue.
post #15690 of 64217 Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
They should offer the HDR 10 beta build firmware to us here, so we can watch ID4 & Ghostbusters and give them feedback on it in the next few days.
Wow you still have your vizio?! Weren't you that would get them out of business?
Anyway, I'm not liking my p55 after the update. Sucks that I only have 1 day off. By the time that I got to do some testing I couldn't get in contact with vizio support. Didn't want to do it by email but it's probably what I'm gonna have to do.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page