Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 525 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288527Likes

post #15721 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
So, I started noticing this band in content on my P50-C1 last night on solid colors (the Plex loading screen, for example) then noticed it during a panning shot. I brought up a grey screen in the color calibration mode to check uniformity and this is what I saw - two giant dark bands at the top and bottom, similar to letterbox bars but double the size. This isn't normal, right?

No. That is not normal. My guess is something is malfunctioning on the letterbox detection. I would do a hard reset and if that doesn't work I would get an exchange.
mpgxsvcd and thomasfxlt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15722 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Just as an fyi.... If you buy something at a Magnolia Design Center (located in BB), you cannot return the item to another BB with just a Magnolia branded department. I found that quite irritating but now I know.
They really should explain that to customers when they buy something from MDC. I had the same experience but with returning a subwoofer.
post #15723 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
I watched the UHD Blu ray for “So you can see me” and “Gods of Egypt” last night with my K8500 UHD blu ray player and my P75.

I was disappointed to see that the Green Chroma issue still exists even with the P75. It was especially bad in the Gods of Egypt disc but it is there with most other content as well. The issue is not apparent to everyone unless you are specifically looking for it. However, if you do look for it especially in Gods of Egypt it will drive you mad.

It isn’t as bad as it was with my M80-C3 because that TV also showed bit depth issues as well as the Chroma issue. It makes white surfaces like paper and Caucasian faces have a green hue with banding between gradations.

In addition it was very clear that the colors in Gods of Egypt were dull and lifeless when they obviously could have been brilliant and vibrant. Watching the WCG Dolby Vision content on VUDU has shown me how important WCG capabilities and 10 bit processing really are.

I expect the HDR10 update will resolve the chroma issue for the 2016 P-series because it should pass the HDR data to the TV untouched. Right now the player is doing the conversion of the HDR data and that is what is causing the chroma issue. However, that will probably mean that the 2016 M-series will permanently have the chroma issue as well since it will never receive the HDR10 stream unprocessed.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to have all of the capabilities of HDR including WCG, 10+ bit processing, good FALD, and strong backlight. Just reading the headers is not enough.

That being said it is entirely possible that someone else will come out with a UHD Blu ray player that doesn’t have the chroma issue. It could be that Samsung doesn’t do the conversion properly for Vizio TVs. Maybe Panasonic, Oppo, or Sony will come out with a player that does the conversion properly in all cases.

However, the important thing to remember is that if you have full and true HDR support then the data will be passed on from the disc or streaming service untouched. You won’t have to worry about whether you are seeing chroma, or banding issues, or how much of a difference WCG makes. You will be able to rest assured that the player doesn’t have to do any processing at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15724 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble but chances are you aren't going to see any improvement with a replacement. The vertical split is a known issue that will be remedied through firmware. The banding is inherent with FALD and doesn't deviate a whole lot between set to set. The blooming is is software related. Did your first set have all of these issues as well?
It did not actually and my 2014 Samsung 4K with HDR looked better than these!! Kind of ticked that for almost $4k they have these issues.
post #15725 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozart View Post
Hello forum. Noob poster here. I have had my P-50 for about a week now and I don't know if what I am experiencing is normal for Active LED zones on this P-SERIES or not, but the only way to solve the problem is turning the Active LED zones off which I don't want to do during night viewing because those blacks are too sexy. Anyway, the problem is I notice too often the screen is getting brighter or dimmer during some camera angle changes to the point where its make me want to turn the LED zones off. It happens like 3-4 times in a 20 second time frame, sometimes more, sometimes less. I don't know if its worse on my particular set or not. Will you guys please tell me if you notice what I'm talking about on your sets. Maybe its not that distracting to you or maybe my set is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic. I want me zones though, its nothing like seeing logos (Naughty Dog, Vizio) pop out the screen in a dark room.
That effect is normal with FALD. Hard to tell if yours is acting abnormally but everyone with a FALD Vizio will se the backlight go up/down depending on what is going on in the image.
For most people, the dimming is usually unoticeable but it is worst in some cases. For example, I found that How I Met Your Mother is in some sort of sweet (or unsweet!) spot where the backlight switches up and down a whole lot even without changes in camera angles. Subtiles and whatever text that shows up often dims the whole screen too.
Just a bad side effect of the general awesomeness of FALD...
post #15726 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I had a question for you P series owners. I'm really thinking of purchasing a P65. How does the P series look on really challenging material such as the 2nd chapter of Gravity or the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2. Do the letter bars stay completely black on content like this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
post #15727 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
I had a question for you P series owners. I'm really thinking of purchasing a P65. How does the P series look on really challenging material such as the 2nd chapter of Gravity or the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2. Do the letter bars stay completely black on content like this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
I have never had any issues with the letterbox bars being anything but true black as long as the local dimming is activated.
post #15728 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntcake72 View Post
It did not actually and my 2014 Samsung 4K with HDR looked better than these!! Kind of ticked that for almost $4k they have these issues.
Which model did you have? I was talking about your first P series set before you exchanged.
post #15729 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
The letterboxes are always black. It's actually a special feature of this TV.
mpgxsvcd, thomasfxlt and toonj64 like this.
post #15730 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I have never had any issues with the letterbox bars being anything but true black as long as the local dimming is activated.
Thanks for the reply. That's great to know.
post #15731 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Which model did you have? I was talking about your first P series set before you exchanged.
I had this one:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN65HU8550FXZA

My friend has it now and it's way better than the p75 I'm exchanging. No banding. None.
post #15732 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Are you 100% sure that the cool temp is not masking the yellow bands? but I agree ,It could be an uneven color temp on the led strips.

Sure as sure can be- I eve turned the backlight to zero and looked at gray screens.

The banding is just a result of the color temp being lowest dead center.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #15733 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntcake72 View Post
I had this one:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN65HU8550FXZA

My friend has it now and it's way better than the p75 I'm exchanging. No banding. None.

Can you take a picture of this "tic tac toe" that you see? Your issues could have numerous causes including settings that are "off".

Sent from nowhere
post #15734 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Can you take a picture of this "tic tac toe" that you see? Your issues could have numerous causes including settings that are "off".

Sent from nowhere
My replacement will be here on the 16th so if I see it then on that new unit, I'll post the pictures here. Promise.
post #15735 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The new sound bar is 3"H. When I measure that against my P55, it actually just barely covers the very bottom of the screen (just beyond the bezel). Perhaps Matt McRae can comment on this as well as general placement issues that may arise between the new soundbars and the P series?

EDIT: Oops, I was looking at the wrong specs. It looks like it will fit.

Last edited by mfucci; 06-07-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #15736 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove1 View Post
I apologize if I missed this answer somewhere, but all the sudden my vizio p65 won't send an audio signal to the receiver when I turn it on with my pc. PC plugged into HDMI 3. Was all working fine. ARC from HDMI 1 to my receiver. Previously it would work immediately and I could use volume on tv remote or tablet to change volume to receiver. Now that doesn't work. I have to actually go into settings and turn speakers off then on to get any audio whatsoever. Thoughts?

With TV And AVR powered on, power off the AVR. Wait for the TV to update on the screen. (will probably show NO Signal but still have audio) Remove powercord from your AVR, wait about 15 secs then reconnect power and power it back on. TV should display a banner about "new audio device" or something like that. See if things are working ok after this, you might have to power cycle everything again but powering off the TV should power off your AVR as well now.
e03179 likes this.

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-X1100w
LG BD570
post #15737 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfucci View Post
The new sound bar is 3"H. When I measure that against my P55, it actually just barely covers the very bottom of the screen (just beyond the bezel). Perhaps Matt McRae can comment on this as well as general placement issues that may arise between the new soundbars and the P series?

I think many people have their TVs wall mounted now. The soundbar height matters a little less then. If you have the TV on a stand your options are always going to be limited.

Sent from nowhere
toonj64 likes this.
post #15738 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
The new ones are actually just over 2" they will fit under the TV if they arent too long.
post #15739 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
The new ones are actually just over 2" they will fit under the TV if they arent too long.
Oops, you are absolutely correct. I was looking at the wrong specs!
post #15740 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Oops, you are absolutely correct. I was looking at the wrong specs!

I love the look of the soundbar right in front of the tv on a stand - I don't have a Vizio soundbar but mine fits exactly flush to the bottom of the Vizio bezel. It has small rubber legs I could remove and push it under the display, but I like this look better. The soundbar also serves a dual purpose of hiding the wires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpgxsvcd and shoman94 like this.
post #15741 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsbro View Post
I have had the P65 since it came out. Minor little motion issues. but now that i'm on firmware .14, it seems i'm noticing a lot more issues. Just about every time a tv show scene changes, its like its in slow motion for about 3 seconds.. Live tv is fine. i'd say almost all the shows we watch are this way. I'm at reduce judder 1 and reduce motion blur at 10. i've messed with all sorts of different combos. I'm stumped. Not even sure what to call this? Any help would be great. Thx.

EDIT: saw a post about GLL and turned it on. Things are a lot better in brief time I have had it on.

I'm seeing this odd behavior with slow mo too. Game of Thrones was really weird to watch with this. Still having ARC issues too. Switching to optical and then back to ARC seems to make it find it again.
post #15742 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
So I'm still getting the stuttering when watching DTV. I first noticed it during the Six Feet Under marathon on HBO, and since we hadn't noticed it elsewhere (though we've been mostly watching Netflix), I figured maybe it, for some reason, had something to do with the early 6FU episodes being formatted with the black bars on the side. Then it started stuttering during Game of Thrones last night. Not sure if there is a settings tweak that can fix this. I'm going to watch more TV to see if it is only HBO, or if it's a bigger problem. I still have another 7 days in my BB return window, so hopefully it's just HBO, I really don't want to return it. It's not something that happens all the time, but with enough frequency that I consider it a pretty sizable glitch.

Maybe it's my DTV box, but I never saw that happening with my old TV.

I'm seeing this too my my P75 with DTV C61K client connected to HR-54 DVR. It was driving me crazy during Game of Thrones.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #15743 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
No. That is not normal. My guess is something is malfunctioning on the letterbox detection. I would do a hard reset and if that doesn't work I would get an exchange.
I reset the television 2 days ago, actually (for an issue getting my phone to pair). Sunday was my 30 day return window at Best Buy, so I'm going to call Vizio customer service tonight. I called earlier but didn't have my serial number handy - figured they could pull it up since I registered the TV with the tablet during setup. They told me that they need to do some troubleshooting and will determine if the set needs to be repaired or replaced - since the set is so new, I'll be rather unhappy if they choose the repair option.
post #15744 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 11:39 AM

From reading sounds like I might have to turn off the reduce motion blur that other posters had said I needed on all the time on everything. Other posts seem to say to turn on GLL. What does GLL turn off specifically? The Reduce Judder setting made a huge difference for me in watching Sicario UHD Blu ray from Samsung 8500 player. When they do the border crossing scene on the way back out from Mexico near the beginning, the camera shows an overhead shot panning vertically up the stopped cars in the crossing. This scene makes it very easy to see how the reduce judder setting affects the PQ. For me a setting of 5 seemed good. What do you think?
jrstinkfish likes this.
post #15745 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaay View Post
I'm seeing this too my my P75 with DTV C61K client connected to HR-54 DVR. It was driving me crazy during Game of Thrones.
I didn't have a chance to watch TV other than hockey last night, but I turned GLL like a previous poster recommended yesterday and I didn't see any stutter. I'd say it's just HBO, but then again, my wife and I basically watch either HBO or Netflix most of the time, so I can't say that for sure. I may cue up GoT tonight and see if it stutters with GLL on.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #15746 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone heard from Matt lately regarding the hdr10 updates? I'm still debating on keeping my replacement set and would like to have the update before my 30 day return period runs out. The new set seems better to be doing better regarding video dropouts and only has a slight yellow issue at the tip top middle of the screen. I think this might be due to the tv not being exactly flat though and I hope to get it straight tonight. I have noticed on pure white images a hint of blue on the left side of the screen and a slightly dark white stripe on the right hand side. After the recent update I have been having horrible judder issues with my directv especially on certain channels or shows mainly hbo, cmt, MTV, BBC, AMC, and occasionally CBS and nbc. I have someone coming out tomorrow to check things over and possibly replace the box and coax. One weird thing I have noticed is if I use a certain heavy duty sony hdmi cord things smooth out but it's 8ft and extremely old so I don't really want to stick with it. I might try a blue jean hdmi or audioquest before it's all said and done but I don't know what series would be the best. I have also been thinking about buying a ferrite bead for the tv power cord but I'm not sure what size to buy. If anyone knows the circumference of the cord please let me know and I would also like to know the circumference of the Dtv power and coax cords too.

Last edited by Stonedgimp; 06-07-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #15747 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
Quote:
From reading sounds like I might have to turn off the reduce motion blur that other posters had said I needed on all the time on everything. Other posts seem to say to turn on GLL. What does GLL turn off specifically? The Reduce Judder setting made a huge difference for me in watching Sicario UHD Blu ray from Samsung 8500 player. When they do the border crossing scene on the way back out from Mexico near the beginning, the camera shows an overhead shot panning vertically up the stopped cars in the crossing. This scene makes it very easy to see how the reduce judder setting affects the PQ. For me a setting of 5 seemed good. What do you think?
The main reason I have GLL On is b.c it completely eliminated my lip sync issues with 24hz content using an AVR.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #15748 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedgimp View Post
Has anyone heard from Matt lately regarding the hdr10 updates?
Yeah, we need an update. I'm getting worried.
post #15749 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
GoT is notoriously bad with the P series' motion enhancements. Turn GLL on for everything if you want natural motion. GLL will simply disable most of the TV's motion processing. Having said all of this, if you enjoy Reduce Judder at 5 then I believe the natural look with GLL on will not work with your tastes. I personally get nauseous with RJ at anything above 1.
post #15750 of 64227 Old 06-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
GoT is notoriously bad with the P series' motion enhancements.
Watching it over cable or satellite? I watched it on the HBO Now app on the tablet last night and it looked amazing. The picture was really quite something. I have also watched it on my apple TV 4 routed through my AVR with upscaling on. No motion issues for me. P65 owner here.

In case this helps, I watch everything on Calibrated Dark with zero changes to any settings. Besides ARC craziness that may be resolved now, I have no issues with this TV from any sources (directv, apple tv, casting and xbox one).
htwaits and Bevmo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page