Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 537 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288526Likes

post #16081 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Ordered the SB4551-D5 again last evening and this am cancelled again!

Bunch of clowns running that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Just tried this morning and I was able to get 3 of mine to play fine, but I still have issues fast forwarding or rewinding - it buffers or exits out. Also, I noticed when I initially hit play it takes about 10 seconds for it to start on the display and it used to be immediate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You tried closing the app and reopening and closing and clearing cache, force stop, etc.?

Streamed and scrubbed no problems for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaff2001 View Post
I agree with you about the struggle between streaming or physical. Once we get the HDR update, I may invest in a UHD blu ray player. I just can't see the need for it right now. Anyone else have any thoughts on physical or streaming? I have a rock solid internet connection and have no issues streaming 4K. Is there any difference picture wise between streaming and discs? I am really hoping Netflix starts offering more Dolby Vision content soon. Marco Polo was just not my thing.
Some have said HDR doesn't look as good as DV. Granted HDR isn't dynamic metadata, but for now the clowns in the UHD alliance must have some differing opinions and motives. Studios can't get aligned to offer a streaming solution to all manufacturers. Stupid exclusivity agreements are still in play and until then, everyone is going to have a disjointed experience.
I caved in for the Samsung uhd player because there would be no way to watch Deadpool and other titles not on Vudu.

2016 Vizio P65-C1
2014 Vizio P50-B1E
2011 Vizio E3D420VX
2016 Vizio Smartcast Soundbar 5.1 SB4551-D5, Xbox One S, Roku 3, Mini-itx HTPC w/i7-6700k Plex Server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16082 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I agree with you about the struggle between streaming or physical. Once we get the HDR update, I may invest in a UHD blu ray player. I just can't see the need for it right now. Anyone else have any thoughts on physical or streaming? I have a rock solid internet connection and have no issues streaming 4K. Is there any difference picture wise between streaming and discs? I am really hoping Netflix starts offering more Dolby Vision content soon. Marco Polo was just not my thing.
I like that with streaming, I now have everything I need to do it well; no need for any added equipment. However, Marco Polo is boring, and the Vudu library is rather lacking; there's only four titles there that I'm interested in owning, and I already own two of them. Physical media is attractive because it can be more permanent, stable and reliable than streaming; but, without HDR10 compatibility, our Vizio's can't take full advantage of them just yet. Plus, there's the added cost and risk inherent with first-gen equipment purchases.

I wonder how many Vizio owners on this thread are grappling with this conundrum?

Last edited by bferr1; 06-10-2016 at 08:56 AM.
post #16083 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post
I wonder how many Vizio owners on this thread are grappling with this conundrum?
The struggle is real.

I have a large collection of movies available on my apple tv purchased from apple. They are mostly kids movies (lots of Pixar ones, the little ones love those) but I also have the entire star wars collection and a few others for the adults. I cringe at buying those again if they are ever available in 4K. Don't get me wrong, all of these movies look amazing on this TV but I am halting my apple TV purchases until I get this all figured out. Pacific Rim on VUDU is stunning and I show it to everyone when they come over. I was really hoping Bloodline would have been in Dolby Vision on Netflix. Good show and the scenery is pretty amazing.
bferr1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16084 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Just powered up to this - first time. Power cycle fixed it and I hope to never see again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This happened to us while casting Hulu the other day. No single thing seemed to work, so I just did a combo -- I stopped Hulu, turned off the TV, turned it back on, went from CAST to HDMI1, and then back to CAST, and we were able to stream again. Funny thing was, the TV-14 and FOX watermarks stayed on the screen, but the actual video looked like your picture.
post #16085 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
I'm on the physical media side. Standard Blu Rays still look sharper than Vudu 4K content. DV is the main benefit to Vudu but that will change once we get our HDR update. My preference is to rent Blu Rays that are good, buy 4K Blu Rays that are great and rent digital titles that I could take or leave. I still don't trust streaming titles as my main viewing source. Just take a look at the troubles people are having with Vudu still and that service has been out for almost a decade.
post #16086 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Once we get the HDR10 update I will be buying a player only because not all UHD titles are available for streaming. Vudu's library is only 35 out of the 46 currently listed on Amazon, and the Amazon number will grow faster/larger than the Vudu offerings. Personally, being an earlier adopter I feel that my best bet would be to get a player when the HDR10 update is available.
quaff2001 likes this.

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-X1100w
LG BD570
post #16087 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I'm on the physical media side. Standard Blu Rays still look sharper than Vudu 4K content. DV is the main benefit to Vudu but that will change once we get our HDR update. My preference is to rent Blu Rays that are good, buy 4K Blu Rays that are great and rent digital titles that I could take or leave. I still don't trust streaming titles as my main viewing source. Just take a look at the troubles people are having with Vudu still and that service has been out for almost a decade.
Do you have the Samsung 4k player? On this TV, would you say a regular blu-ray disc looks better than it's streaming option? I watched Zootopia on blu-ray the other night via my xbox one and then again on VUDU last night (the little guy is hooked on it already). Maybe the best option is physical media with digital codes that I can add to my VUDU and apple TV library.
post #16088 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Garden and Thomas, ty. I'll keep on the lookout for the next update as it progresses. Hopefully, I can get Vizio live to discuss over the weekend.

Vizio P75-C1
Yamaha RX-A1040
5.1- Def-Tech STS towers, mythos 10 center, mythos gem rears, super cube sub
PS3
Roku 4k
Xfinity X1
post #16089 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm on the physical media side. Standard Blu Rays still look sharper than Vudu 4K content.
I'm not sure I can go along with that; I think the UHD of Fury Road blows the doors off the Blu-ray version. And though the improvement I see in the UHD of Man of Steel is subtle, it's still an improvement.
post #16090 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have the Samsung 4k player? On this TV, would you say a regular blu-ray disc looks better than it's streaming option? I watched Zootopia on blu-ray the other night via my xbox one and then again on VUDU last night (the little guy is hooked on it already). Maybe the best option is physical media with digital codes that I can add to my VUDU and apple TV library.
I do have the Samsung player. I absolutely believe the blu ray looks better than any streaming option. There's just no way to properly resolve shadow detail with a lower bitrate. Things always get lost.

Quote:
I'm not sure I can go along with that; I think the UHD of Fury Road blows the doors off the Blu-ray version. And though the improvement I see in the UHD of Man of Steel is subtle, it's still an improvement.
The only reason Mad Max looks better is because of the DV. The exponential increase in contrast and pop is what does it. The sharpness and fine details are better on blu ray.
post #16091 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
Now that Vudu UHD casting issues seem to be resolved, I can resume the eternal struggle of deciding between streaming or physical media.

Vudu would have a more persuasive argument if they added more Warner titles, and titles from other studios. Has anyone heard about plans along those lines?
I'm almost sure that we'll have to wait until any studio/streaming provider contract agreements have elapsed. Let's say they agreed to let Vudu or FandangoNow be the exclusive provider of specific studio titles for a year. Let's hope the year is up soon!
bferr1 likes this.

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
post #16092 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Is anyone else having issues with the basic remote not pausing Hulu?
imobilizer likes this.

"This HDMI cable gives you better reds; that's why the box is red." - Things you hear at Best Buy
Twitter: @timmyduerler
Xbox Live: JoinTheBattle

Vizio P50-C1

Last edited by JoinTheBattle; 06-11-2016 at 01:34 PM.
post #16093 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
Quote:
likewise. Mostly b.c the audio quality. I think I have watched revenant 2 or 3 times b.c the audio track is so good and immersive. The DV movies do look fantastic streamed though. I cannot wait until we have the HDR update. I have 6 4K movies that look great now, but will be amazing with HDR.
post #16094 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The sharpness and fine details are better on blu ray.
To my eyes, these are better on the UHD as well. One shot in particular stands out to me:
Spoiler!
That shot looks razor sharp in UHD, but looks soft on not nearly as well defined on the BD through my Oppo 103.
post #16095 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wadian View Post
I had my 65" (which did not have a noticeable yellow problem) replaced because of the issue you can see in the photo. After waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive my replacement model has a yellow band at the center/bottom of the screen. I don't notice while watching programs in color but I do in black and white. Im trying to not pay attention to it. But after spending $2000 I don't feel like I should have to "put up with it".

How are the rest of you dealing with the yellow band problem?

Is the yellow band problem covered under warranty?
Not sure if you saw this. I was also told by a VIZIO tech this week that VIZIO was aware that some of the first batch of display's had the yellow banding issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Been following the thread and comments around what is being called "yellow banding" specifically on 2016 VIZIO P65/P75 and VIZIO is looking into it. As you know all panels have minor variations in uniformity and color which is normal (even across different display technologies). But based on your feedback, there may be some units that exhibit a wider variance and if this is detracting from your viewing experience/enjoyment with certain content I want to take care of it. We want all of our customers to have a great experience with our products and I would ask that owners who feel the variance is large enough to affect your enjoyment... please email VIZIO tech support at [email protected] or call 1-877-698-4946 and we will address this for you under warranty.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htwaits, shoman94 and a61688 like this.

Samsung 55JS9000
Vizio P65-C1

Last edited by mikestr; 06-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #16096 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
4K Bluray has more detail but DolbyVision is outstanding. I'll take the streaming DV version if I have to pick between the 2.

The floodgates are going to open soon on content. 4K has arrived.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #16097 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizayoh View Post
I've had that happen while casting. super not cool
Call Vizio and get it replaced. I bought my P65 in April and this happened rarely; however it may continue to happen more and more over the next couple months. At the end my p65 was doing this every hour or so no matter what source was connected. I just got my replacement yesterday afternoon and it looks good so far.
post #16098 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I too am on the struggle bus. I have bought two UHD blu rays (Deadpool and The Revenant), even though I do not own a physical player yet. Lol. Once we get the HDR update I'll probably cave in and buy it. Hoping we find more info on the PS4.5 prior to then anyway.... But as another poster mentioned, the other benefit would be lossless audio that I am very much interested in.

Once the Vizio has the HDR update, hopefully someone will do a comparison for titles that are both (if they aren't bored out of their mind watching Fury road prior to then) and provide some feedback in regards to both DV vs HDR10 as well as lossy Atmos vs lossless Atmos.
post #16099 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hello,

I've been following this thread for awhile and I just received my P65 last night and after I got everything updated and calibrated (thanks beardontwalk123 for the settings). I started VUDU and I only have one UHD/HDR movie Mad Max. All I could do was just look at all the colors! 4K paired with HDR makes a huge difference. I had to load up the other PS3 using the blu-ray HD version of Mad Max next to the old samsung 60". Well worth the price for this model, I can't believe Vizio is able to offer all of this for under 2000 dollars. My Elac Dolby Atmos speakers should be here tomorrow for a 5.2.4 setup and I'll have to wait another month for the Yamaha RX2060 to release. But I'm just so happy with my choice of going with Vizio.
mpgxsvcd, Mattopotamus and mikestr like this.
post #16100 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
4K Bluray has more detail but DolbyVision is outstanding. I'll take the streaming DV version if I have to pick between the 2.

I cannot wait to compare 4K HDR to streaming DV on the same set. IIRC, no one can do this at the moment since vizio is the only manufacture able to stream DV through Vudu.
post #16101 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just got my Harmony remote/hub from that crazy Best Buy deal. Setting it up now. Does anybody know if it's possible to create an activity that enables Game Low Latency?

I use my Xbox One as both a media device and obviously gaming system. So being able to quickly toggle that on and off would be amazing
post #16102 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

That's more of a comment on the lack of HDR support with the P series and less on the format IMO. There's no doubt in my mind that the 4K Bluray will look much better once we get HDR activated. As a side note, these studios really need to sign deals with Vudu and stop peddling their own distribution avenues so that everyone can have access to 4K streaming.
post #16103 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just got my Harmony remote/hub from that crazy Best Buy deal. Setting it up now. Does anybody know if it's possible to create an activity that enables Game Low Latency?

I use my Xbox One as both a media device and obviously gaming system. So being able to quickly toggle that on and off would be amazing
Just overwrite one of the picture settings, duplicate your favorite settings and just change GLL to on. After this, set up a macro to have the picture settings changed when you start that particular activity. For example, the macro may be picture settings 3 times with a 1s delay in between. Don't forget to have a macro for both the beginning and ending of that particular activity so it changes back to normal afterwards.
vizayoh likes this.
post #16104 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

I've still got the OLED, if you guys want any comparisons/tests
Sure why not... just for S & G.

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar
post #16105 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

what bestbuy deal?
post #16106 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
That's more of a comment on the lack of HDR support with the P series and less on the format IMO. There's no doubt in my mind that the 4K Bluray will look much better once we get HDR activated. As a side note, these studios really need to sign deals with Vudu and stop peddling their own distribution avenues so that everyone can have access to 4K streaming.

I think DV is a better format than HDR10 but the combo of 4K Bluray & HDR10 should be very nice (why I own the K8500). I'll enjoy them both.

Totally agree about all the nonsensical proprietary deals.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #16107 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
what bestbuy deal?
The Harmony Ultimate Home is on clearance in the stores for $104. It sells online for $350. Just call in and be like do you have this in stock? No? Do you think you could ship it to me? Confirm the price and you're all good.

I got two.

Edit, I misspoke. It's Ultimate, not Elite.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...=1219317044078

There's the link with the sku, which they'll ask for
thomasfxlt likes this.

Last edited by vizayoh; 06-10-2016 at 11:44 AM.
post #16108 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Harmony Ultimate Home is on clearance in the stores for $104. It sells online for $350. Just call in and be like do you have this in stock? No? Do you think you could ship it to me? Confirm the price and you're all good.

I got two.

Edit, I misspoke. It's Ultimate, not Elite.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...=1219317044078

There's the link with the sku, which they'll ask for
Thanks. Was hoping it was the harmony elite
post #16109 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Thanks. Was hoping it was the harmony elite
yeahhh my badd. I really only wanted the hub so I can control stuff with Alexa
hockeythug likes this.
post #16110 of 64227 Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Isn't there a big difference in audio between streaming and physical? That will always make me go physical or streaming device through an AVR if I ever go at all.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page