Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 545 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288466Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16321 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 2,890
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
I don't believe that the Fire TV supports HDR as it is hdmi 1.4.
Duh... You are correct 1.4 HDMI so probably only 30 fps on 4K material. HDMI 2.0 needed for 60 fps. I have one on order so I'm not sure with their latest firmware.

If you need HDMI 2.0, Roku 4 or nVidia Shield for now.
callworth likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 06-12-2016 at 11:22 AM.
naustin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16322 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
I don't believe that the Fire TV supports HDR as it is hdmi 1.4.
Duh... You are correct 1.4 HDMI so probably only 30 fps on 4K material. HDMI 2.0 needed for 60 fps. I have one on order so I'm not sure with their latest firmware.
I almost purchased a Roku 4 thinking it supported HDR, but as it turns out none of the streaming boxes do yet. Roku might release an update, and since HDR content is being pushed by Amazon I'm left scratching my head as to why they don't have a compatible streaming option.
LordofDoubleD and Ian c2 like this.
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #16323 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman1000 View Post
hi folks, i'm in the market for a 65" 4k HDR TV and the P Series has reall caught my attention. but i keep reading about panel issues and connectivity problems with the tablet... maybe i should just go with a tried and true Sammy... my 50" 10 year old 720P plasma has never let me down and still looks great... what to do...
I'm keeping our 60" plasma until it dies.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16324 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
It will do 4K . Make sure you have a steady internet connection though ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Yeah but isn't that 1.4 spec? As far as I know this is the model we are discussing:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/s...ideos-with-hdr
Hdcp 2.2
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16325 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoflick View Post
Ok so my P65 has done this three times now and it's worrying me. The screen will go black for a few seconds and then come back on with the source displayed at the top. It's like unplugged the HDMI and then plugged it back in.

It did this twice on HDMI 2 and I thought it could be cable is device but this morning it did the same thing on HDMI 1.

I need to know if I should return this set soon as I only have 15 days with BBY.
What you describe sounds like a HDMI handshake similar to what happens when you change from a source with one resolution to a different source with a different resolution like going from Fox to NBC. I would look at your HDMI cables and HDMI connections as a source of your short blackouts.

So far there doesn't seem to be any problem with Vizio exchanging defective sets. If you've just changed your mind then the BB return period is your best choice.
Ian c2 and Oldways7 like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #16326 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiehlvr2 View Post
So, if I have the uhd player and the tv gets the hdr update via firmware, am I able to watch netflix and amazon with vision and hdr support from the uhd players built in apps?
When the vizio gains hdr10 you will be able to watch Amazon hdr10 from the Samsung Amazon app

Allthough I'm sure the software experts are allready looking for a way to break it
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16327 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Member
 
diceman1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I'm keeping our 60" plasma until it dies.
oh, we are keeping ours... it's going in the upstairs living roomwith a Yamaha sound bar that i got for my 15 year award from work. the new TV is going in the basement family room with the home theater
diceman1000 is offline  
post #16328 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoflick View Post
This is same source and it's not changing resolutions. Two different types of cables to sources same issue. I'm going to box up display and EXCHANGE tomorrow. I love this set but don't want a lemon.
You are probably boxing up a handshake problem which may have nothing to do with your set, but that could be best for you right now.
Ian c2 likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #16329 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 2,890
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
I almost purchased a Roku 4 thinking it supported HDR, but as it turns out none of the streaming boxes do yet. Roku might release an update, and since HDR content is being pushed by Amazon I'm left scratching my head as to why they don't have a compatible streaming option.
The only advantage of a streaming box right now is easy access to 4K material if you don't want to smartcast. At 85 USD for a Fire I opted to upgrade from my old Roku 3. I'm sure a HDR streamer is in my future in a year or so.
naustin is offline  
post #16330 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdrock View Post
Does anyone have any information on whether we will be able to cast Amazon video at any time, or, is it a dead issue? I seem to recall reading that Amazon does not like casting.
The problem that you seem to remember is that Google and Amazon are having a territorial fight. It's not casting as a technology, it's just Google's casting that Amazon won't allow. Nothing is ever settled in corporate fights.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #16331 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Member
 
katiehlvr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiehlvr2 View Post
So, if I have the uhd player and the tv gets the hdr update via firmware, am I able to watch netflix and amazon with vision and hdr support from the uhd players built in apps?
When the vizio gains hdr10 you will be able to watch Amazon hdr10 from the Samsung Amazon app

Allthough I'm sure the software experts are allready looking for a way to break it

What about netflix? Does the uhd player offer hdr or vision through the player that will be watchable with tv update?
katiehlvr2 is offline  
post #16332 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
I had it once , I think when Netflix did an upgrade a few weeks ago .
Are you referencing my freezing and tv issue, Ian? I have had Netflix freeze before, but never so I couldn't turn the tv back on.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #16333 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
First it was 60 - 90 days from launch. Now it's 90 - 120 days...

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar
Can you document that? It's alway been 90-120 days from the P-series introduction date which is about the same as the date on the first post in this thread. Maybe you read 60-90 days in a post dated around the end of April.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #16334 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The only advantage of a streaming box right now is easy access to 4K material if you don't want to smartcast. At 85 USD for a Fire I opted to upgrade from my old Roku 3. I'm sure a HDR streamer is in my future in a year or so.
Honestly if I had a good streaming box that supported 4k and HDR and had all of the big players (Amazon) integrated I probably wouldn't even use the smart cast table for anything other than TV functions and surfing the web. I'd use my PS4 for everything if it supported 4k and it is my only option for streaming Amazon Prime without jumping through hoops on this TV.

Luckily it's only a small compromise.
naustin and Bootnylee like this.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #16335 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiehlvr2 View Post
What about netflix? Does the uhd player offer hdr or vision through the player that will be watchable with tv update?
You can watch Netflix dolbyvision right now using smart cast that came with the tv .
All you have to do is download the Netflix app and buy their 4K package .

You can also watch/buy dolbyvision movies on vudu .

There is very limited content of both dolbyvision and hdr10 content at the moment .

Amazon have some hdr10 content , so people are wanting to watch that to add to the little content they can allready get .

Until the vizio gets the hdr10 update though , it cannot be viewed .

Add to that the fact that Google , Amazon , and Apple have a little disagreement going , and the fact Apple tv4 can't even do 4K and the Amazon Fire tv can do 4K but no HDR it makes it a bit of a mess !!!

The upcoming Oppo player should sort out a lot of problems , and I'm waiting for that as hopefully there'll be a little more HDR content that I actually WANT TO WATCH by then

There are a lot of Oppo players coming onto the used market right now for some reason and people who aren't that bothered about the latest thing due to the limited content available could find themselves getting an awesome deal on a first class bluray player ....
Schwa likes this.

Last edited by Ian c2; 06-12-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16336 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Honestly if I had a good streaming box that supported 4k and HDR and had all of the big players (Amazon) integrated I probably wouldn't even use the smart cast table for anything other than TV functions and surfing the web. I'd use my PS4 for everything if it supported 4k and it is my only option for streaming Amazon Prime without jumping through hoops on this TV.

Luckily it's only a small compromise.
As I understand it, the whole idea of the tablet, casting, and apps is that the apps can be easily updated where streaming devices and smart whatever devices become obsolete and are not updated. As long as I stay in the 1080p world, casting apps aren't an advantage for me either.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #16337 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Are you referencing my freezing and tv issue, Ian? I have had Netflix freeze before, but never so I couldn't turn the tv back on.
7es , there was a bit of confusion as you added another post whilst I was finger-prodding my reply

WHen it failed we just turned the tv off and came back outside , so I don't know exactly what problems it caused for others .

Next day it worked , and I read on the internet that others had problems due to a Netflix upgrade .
DamageMcRamage likes this.
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16338 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2062 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Its always been 90 to 120.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
This. It has been 90-120 days since the launch week.
Mattopotamus is online now  
post #16339 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
DamageMcRamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
As I understand it, the whole idea of the tablet, casting, and apps is that the apps can be easily updated where streaming devices and smart whatever devices become obsolete and are not updated. As long as I stay in the 1080p world, casting apps aren't an advantage for me either.
Don't get me wrong, the casting table could become a slick feature once some of the growing pains are sorted out. The lack of Amazon on Google Cast is a bummer. Some little nervous ticks of the table include: no easy slider for reversing or advancing movies or shows, having to use a couple of taps to pause a movie (when table shuts itself off), the volume control on the tablet causing strange incremental jumps in my AVR, the power button on the tablet not turning on my TV 100% of the time....so on and so forth.

Those issues I'm sure can be fixed, and once they are it will be a pleasure to use. Right now, as it stands, a Roku box or similar still has the nod in convenience and flexibility.

I was not aware that apps on a streaming device such as Roku could not be updated? Interesting.

I like Ice Cream!
DamageMcRamage is offline  
post #16340 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
As I understand it, the whole idea of the tablet, casting, and apps is that the apps can be easily updated where streaming devices and smart whatever devices become obsolete and are not updated. As long as I stay in the 1080p world, casting apps aren't an advantage for me either.
Are you streaming to the plasma at the moment ?

There are some great deals on Apple and Amazon boxes right now that will lessen the blow when they do become obsolete .
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16341 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Member
 
katiehlvr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiehlvr2 View Post
What about netflix? Does the uhd player offer hdr or vision through the player that will be watchable with tv update?
You can watch Netflix dolbyvision right now using smart cast that came with the tv .
All you have to do is download the Netflix app and buy their 4K package .

You can also watch/buy dolbyvision movies on vudu .

There is very limited content of both dolbyvision and hdr10 content at the moment .

Amazon have some hdr10 content , so people are wanting to watch that to add to the little content they can allready get .

Until the vizio gets the hdr10 update though , it cannot be viewed .

Add to that the fact that Google , Amazon , and Apple have a little disagreement going , and the fact Apple tv4 can't even do 4K and the Amazon Fire tv can do 4K but no HDR it makes it a bit of a mess !!!

The upcoming Oppo player should sort out a lot of problems , and I'm waiting for that as hopefully there'll be a little more HDR content that I actually WANT TO WATCH by then

There are a lot of Oppo players coming onto the used market right now for some reason and people who aren't that bothered about the latest thing due to the limited content available could find themselves getting an awesome deal on a first class bluray player ....
Yes, i have several uhd titles through vudu now. I really want this tv more for the uhd blu ray player. I am not really sold on the casting and was just curious what tech i can get through the uhd players apps and possibly skipping the casting all together. Unfortunately vudu will not play uhd titles on the player. Was curious if i can get the same features from the netflix and amazon from the uhd player as i would with the vizio casting.
katiehlvr2 is offline  
post #16342 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Don't get me wrong, the casting table could become a slick feature once some of the growing pains are sorted out. The lack of Amazon on Google Cast is a bummer. Some little nervous ticks of the table include: no easy slider for reversing or advancing movies or shows, having to use a couple of taps to pause a movie (when table shuts itself off), the volume control on the tablet causing strange incremental jumps in my AVR, the power button on the tablet not turning on my TV 100% of the time....so on and so forth.

Those issues I'm sure can be fixed, and once they are it will be a pleasure to use. Right now, as it stands, a Roku box or similar still has the nod in convenience and flexibility.

I was not aware that apps on a streaming device such as Roku could not be updated? Interesting.
It's also the hardware has a limited lifespan , the 1080 Apple TV 4 being a prime example .
There will be not much point spending time for this product if Apple release a 4K version . Then an HDR version .
It will get left behind and will eventually become a paperweight with an apple logo .

Our new Apple tv4 has allready been relegated to the spare room ....
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16343 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeyer View Post
Quick question about the Google Cast implementation on the P-Series; when casting a source with 2-channel audio, will that audio be interpreted as true 2-channel audio or 5-channel audio with 3 muted channels? I have the Vizio S5451w-C2 5.1 Channel Sound Bar, which will take any 2-channel sources passed to it and create a "virtual" 5.1 sound. My plan is to hook this up to my P65 through ARC, and ideally get 5.1 sound regardless of if it is "true" or "virtual" 5.1.

Unfortunately, I have had different luck with different audio sources, I can't seem to get a consistent experience with 2-channel audio across devices. When using the Chromecast I get the "virtual" 5.1 for all casted content, but the Chromecast only outputs 2-channel sound. I've had mixed results with sources that are able to output 5.1.

Any others have similar experiences, or would be willing to run some tests for me while I wait for my P65 to arrive?
Just wanted to post this again as I never saw a response. Anybody have experience casting 2-channel audio to the P-Series Google Cast implementation? Is this issue purely sound bar / AVR dependent?
wbeyer is offline  
post #16344 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I watched "meet the family" casted from Netflix in stereo last weekend .

My processor is set so that it only puts out what it gets in .
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16345 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c2 View Post
You can watch Netflix dolbyvision right now using smart cast that came with the tv .

All you have to do is download the Netflix app and buy their 4K package .



You can also watch/buy dolbyvision movies on vudu .



There is very limited content of both dolbyvision and hdr10 content at the moment .



Amazon have some hdr10 content , so people are wanting to watch that to add to the little content they can allready get .



Until the vizio gets the hdr10 update though , it cannot be viewed .



Add to that the fact that Google , Amazon , and Apple have a little disagreement going , and the fact Apple tv4 can't even do 4K and the Amazon Fire tv can do 4K but no HDR it makes it a bit of a mess !!!



The upcoming Oppo player should sort out a lot of problems , and I'm waiting for that as hopefully there'll be a little more HDR content that I actually WANT TO WATCH by then



There are a lot of Oppo players coming onto the used market right now for some reason and people who aren't that bothered about the latest thing due to the limited content available could find themselves getting an awesome deal on a first class bluray player ....


I sold my 105 a couple months ago anticipating a drop in value once the UHD unit is unveiled. Oppo does have excellent resale value nonetheless.
Ian c2 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #16346 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiehlvr2 View Post
Yes, i have several uhd titles through vudu now. I really want this tv more for the uhd blu ray player. I am not really sold on the casting and was just curious what tech i can get through the uhd players apps and possibly skipping the casting all together. Unfortunately vudu will not play uhd titles on the player. Was curious if i can get the same features from the netflix and amazon from the uhd player as i would with the vizio casting.
If you add the "Dolby vision Vs hdr10 war" to the "Google Vs Amazon war" you'll end up with an opocalypse that isn't worth $400 of my money right now ....

What is needed is a 4K bluray player than can do dolbyvision and hdr10 that can take ANY streaming app ...

Last edited by Ian c2; 06-12-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16347 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nantucket ....
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I sold my 105 a couple months ago anticipating a drop in value once the UHD unit is unveiled. Oppo does have excellent resale value nonetheless.
The resale value at the moment is higher than the factory price in some cases !!!

I think they'll drop quite a lot in the next 12xmonths though .

I thought about buying a 105d to experiment with my active 5.1 set-up , but I'm going to wait for the new one now as its that close ...
Ian c2 is offline  
post #16348 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
reallynotnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Yours looks worse than mine. I'd ask for an exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
After getting two P65's with the yellow banding I reached out Vizio, and they'll be replacing my set with on that's been pre-checked to not have the band.

Below are pictures of my first and second P65s.
Attachment 1492489
Attachment 1492497
Thanks guys, finally got around to calling them today. As far as calling customer service (one of my most hated things to do), I have to say the experience was quite pleasant!
The first two times a I called I actually got a human straight away, and everyone is US based which is also great. The first person had me do a power cycle (which I did just for the heck of it) and then sent me an email to upload some photos of the issue. Sent the photos in and then called back, pro tip, give it about 3 hours to get through their system, I called right after and they hadn't got them on my case yet.
Only other tip I have is Matt mentioned emailing [email protected], just skip that, I did that first and they just told me to call support. Though the support team is quite friendly so why wouldn't you want to call them?

Should be getting a replacement in a little over a week. Heck I'd be happy with that second P65 you had Fanboyz, so if I get something even better I'll be ecstatic!
reallynotnick is offline  
post #16349 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Thanks guys, finally got around to calling them today. As far as calling customer service (one of my most hated things to do), I have to say the experience was quite pleasant!

The first two times a I called I actually got a human straight away, and everyone is US based which is also great. The first person had me do a power cycle (which I did just for the heck of it) and then sent me an email to upload some photos of the issue. Sent the photos in and then called back, pro tip, give it about 3 hours to get through their system, I called right after and they hadn't got them on my case yet.

Only other tip I have is Matt mentioned emailing [email protected], just skip that, I did that first and they just told me to call support. Though the support team is quite friendly so why wouldn't you want to call them?



Should be getting a replacement in a little over a week. Heck I'd be happy with that second P65 you had Fanboyz, so if I get something even better I'll be ecstatic!


You'll want them to ship you a pre-approved one.

Otherwise you play the panel lottery.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #16350 of 63934 Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 2,890
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Honestly if I had a good streaming box that supported 4k and HDR and had all of the big players (Amazon) integrated I probably wouldn't even use the smart cast table for anything other than TV functions and surfing the web. I'd use my PS4 for everything if it supported 4k and it is my only option for streaming Amazon Prime without jumping through hoops on this TV.

Luckily it's only a small compromise.
Until the HDR standards become more widely used on new content, I personally will settle for good 4K. My P65 will be HDR future proof with the next firmware. The Vizio tablet is a pain. I use the Vizio App on my Phone (all the features in a smaller form factor) or the bare remote 90 percent of the time.
naustin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off