Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 563 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288682Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16861 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone been successful in setting up a live tv provider with their set? I have DTV here in San Antonio and the Vizio CS just informed me that its not working right now.
Vizyo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16862 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Member
 
johnnytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizyo View Post
Has anyone been successful in setting up a live tv provider with their set? I have DTV here in San Antonio and the Vizio CS just informed me that its not working right now.
I have a HR54 and a CK61 with DirecTV and they work great!
johnnytex is offline  
post #16863 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Member
 
MichiganTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Netflix DD+/Atmos/Arc/Cast issue. Pioneer SC-95. Vizio supplied cable interconnected to equipment through HDMI 1. Been over a week since I reported issue. Vizio has no update or timeline for fix. Said they would contact me with solution or incompatibility issue. Also I have PM Matt McRae. No response. Thought problem would be resolved with last firmware. Wounder how long this issue will take to get resolved or if it will be resolved??
MichiganTim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16864 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GardenVariety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Just an Update. I purchased a really expensive HDMI cable (Monster 27Gbps) just to test it out and it does the same thing. Every few times where the resolution or refresh rate changes I get a permanent black screen until I power cycle the TV and then it works. It did the same thing on my M80. I'm now convinced that Vizio has an inherent problem with locking onto resolution/refresh changes.
GardenVariety is offline  
post #16865 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GardenVariety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Have you tried AmazonBasics HDMI cables?
Also BJC cables are really good, albeit not very cheap.
I ended up buying an ultra expensive HDMI locally and it does the same thing. Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion.
GardenVariety is offline  
post #16866 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Tbrooks330's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
I can cast a high bitrate MKV like Elysium fine with my pc no problem using Plex to cast. File has a total bitrate of 67,350 kbps and is 51.5gb.

The reason I invested in the 6700K.
Thanks for quick response......I think my PC can handle the compression fine, i think it was just finding an app that could as well. Most of the apps i downloaded wouldn't cast the .mkv, but i couldn't get plex set up so i've been trying some alternatives. I'll give setting up Plex another run since its working for you! Thanks for the info!!!
Tbrooks330 is offline  
post #16867 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
pos1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Coast of Michigan
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyeah View Post
I guess I am glad to hear someone else is having the same thing going on as me, but I wish we both didn't have it! lol. Anyone else experiencing the local dimming flickering?
I have only seen it on that test. Otherwise in real world I have not
thomasfxlt likes this.
pos1121 is offline  
post #16868 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTim View Post
Netflix DD+/Atmos/Arc/Cast issue. Pioneer SC-95. Vizio supplied cable interconnected to equipment through HDMI 1. Been over a week since I reported issue. Vizio has no update or timeline for fix. Said they would contact me with solution or incompatibility issue. Also I have PM Matt McRae. No response. Thought problem would be resolved with last firmware. Wounder how long this issue will take to get resolved or if it will be resolved??
I have a similar setup. ARC works without dropouts to the SC-95 using Bitstream or PCM. I do not get DD+ or ATMOS to my SC-95 (yes, I have an ATMOS speaker setup 5.1.4).

I have CEC "ARC only" set on the display and in HDMI setup on the AVR I have Control "On", Control Mode "off" and ARC "On".

Supposedly to be able to decode DD+ or ATMOS on the AVR you need Control Mode "ON" on the AVR and CEC set to "enabled" on the display. This doesn't work for me. I still only get DDSurround on the AVR (5.1)

I've pretty much given up on this as I'm not sure it's Vizio's fault or Pioneer or just crappy implementation of a really bad CEC spec/technology to begin with.

Regardless, I'm getting 5.1 no problem without dropouts and the AVR has DSP's that up-mix to 5.1.4 and it sounds really great.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16869 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Just an Update. I purchased a really expensive HDMI cable (Monster 27Gbps) just to test it out and it does the same thing. Every few times where the resolution or refresh rate changes I get a permanent black screen until I power cycle the TV and then it works. It did the same thing on my M80. I'm now convinced that Vizio has an inherent problem with locking onto resolution/refresh changes.
I had that Monster 27GB cable (actually 2 of them). Neither of them would pass 4k/60 4:4:4 10 bit from my Samsung 4k player. I purchased a BJC Series 1 (35ft) and it works. FYI...
shoman94 likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16870 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,540
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
Worth mentioning, rtings.com in their review of the E6 remarked "The Vizio P Series 2016 has a slightly worse picture quality when viewed directly from front but lot worse when watched from the side. Its screen uniformity is notably worse. It has a very low input lag, which makes it a better choice for video games."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6

For such a significant price difference this is quite the compliment. If after all the craziness around getting my P Series delivered and I find it has serious panel defects going forward I'll likely get the OLED (as I've said). Not that it's Vizio's fault, but all this business has left the most sour taste in my mouth. I hope the panel is fault free and meets or surpasses my expectations. The size upgrade was certainly wonderful.

For those interested in my case, after being on the phone with Best Buy for no less than 8 hours today (conservative estimate) I finally talked to someone who could get me a replacement on Monday. I've also been promised some form of "compensation" for my trouble, whatever that means.

-Vader
I have both the P75 as well as the LG EF9500 and it's nice to see the P75 with dark scenes because you don't get all the banding or vignetting as they call it like you do with the LG. I've really been enjoying the picture quality on 1080p sources. To me it's almost like watching a 4k source. I'll use the LG OLED for 3D sources as it does an outstanding job with 3D.
thomasfxlt and buju22 like this.

lujan
640 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #16871 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,540
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Just an Update. I purchased a really expensive HDMI cable (Monster 27Gbps) just to test it out and it does the same thing. Every few times where the resolution or refresh rate changes I get a permanent black screen until I power cycle the TV and then it works. It did the same thing on my M80. I'm now convinced that Vizio has an inherent problem with locking onto resolution/refresh changes.
I've seen the black screen when going from CBL/SAT input on AVR to BD source but all I did was go back to CBL/SAT and then back to BD and it worked. I'm not sure that you always have to power off the TV? I think it has something to do with the HDMI handshake.
shoman94 likes this.

lujan
640 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #16872 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos1121 View Post
I have only seen it on that test. Otherwise in real world I have not
I think it's very important for everyone to remember that test patterns like the one mentioned on the Rtings site are designed to isolate a specific thing and make it really obvious. In this particular case, it almost illustrates the FALD design as much as it demonstrates that it's visible in a very limited, specific few cases.

And as you mentioned... we don't watch patterns. We watch real content and I've never notice this other than with reverse white credits scrolling on a black background. I believe much of what we perceive as vertical banding on the display is actually the FALD grid which can be visible on light, smooth backgrounds.
pos1121 likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16873 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,993
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5606 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Just an Update. I purchased a really expensive HDMI cable (Monster 27Gbps) just to test it out and it does the same thing. Every few times where the resolution or refresh rate changes I get a permanent black screen until I power cycle the TV and then it works. It did the same thing on my M80. I'm now convinced that Vizio has an inherent problem with locking onto resolution/refresh changes.
It happens to me sometimes with my TiVo when it changes resolutions.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #16874 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GardenVariety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I had that Monster 27GB cable (actually 2 of them). Neither of them would pass 4k/60 4:4:4 10 bit from my Samsung 4k player. I purchased a BJC Series 1 (35ft) and it works. FYI...
Thanks Thomas. Yes, all of these cables are able to pass 4k once it's synced. It's definitely an HDMI handshake issue but it's the TV's fault. It does this on all resolutions including 1080P/24. It can really happen any time the TV deviates from 1080P/60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I've seen the black screen when going from CBL/SAT input on AVR to BD source but all I did was go back to CBL/SAT and then back to BD and it worked. I'm not sure that you always have to power off the TV? I think it has something to do with the HDMI handshake.
Thanks. I've been in the habit of power cycling since I still have the screen tearing issue but you're right. Changing back and forth inputs works as well. The trouble is I can get the black screen when simply exiting a game on steam so it's not just when I change inputs. It's really a pain.
GardenVariety is offline  
post #16875 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Thanks Thomas. Yes, all of these cables are able to pass 4k once it's synced. It's definitely an HDMI handshake issue but it's the TV's fault. It does this on all resolutions including 1080P/24. It can really happen any time the TV deviates from 1080P/60



Thanks. I've been in the habit of power cycling since I still have the screen tearing issue but you're right. Changing back and forth inputs works as well. The trouble is I can get the black screen when simply exiting a game on steam so it's not just when I change inputs. It's really a pain.
The only remaining situation when this happens to me is while "using" the K8500 4k Bluray player to play 4k blurays. It does not happen with the splashcreen on the player, while using YouTube, Amazon or Netflix apps on the K8500. It only happens with some discs when you initiate "play" of the disc. The various intros leading to the movie menu cycle through various resolution changes and the screen will occasionally go black during these changes. Sometimes bouncing inputs on the AVR fixes it. Sometimes changing inputs on the display. Sometimes changing outputs on the AVR. This leads me to believe that the fault is distributed and may in fact be the result of lousy HDMI specs. I do not get any screen blackouts with any of my other equipment or internal casting.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16876 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Member
 
MichiganTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I have a similar setup. ARC works without dropouts to the SC-95 using Bitstream or PCM. I do not get DD+ or ATMOS to my SC-95 (yes, I have an ATMOS speaker setup 5.1.4).

I have CEC "ARC only" set on the display and in HDMI setup on the AVR I have Control "On", Control Mode "off" and ARC "On".

Supposedly to be able to decode DD+ or ATMOS on the AVR you need Control Mode "ON" on the AVR and CEC set to "enabled" on the display. This doesn't work for me. I still only get DDSurround on the AVR (5.1)

I've pretty much given up on this as I'm not sure it's Vizio's fault or Pioneer or just crappy implementation of a really bad CEC spec/technology to begin with.

Regardless, I'm getting 5.1 no problem without dropouts and the AVR has DSP's that up-mix to 5.1.4 and it sounds really great.
I had a less then a year old VSX-90, Upgraded to SC-95 after picking up the P65. The main reason I upgraded the SC-95 was an additional channel of Atmos and more amps. If they can't resolve DD+ and atmos through ARC and control mode. This is a deal breaker for me. PCM is only 2 channel stereo.

I have played DD+/Atmos content through Amazon Fire TV. I hear a noticeable difference. Problem is Amazon device is only HDMI 1.4 from what I have read. No 4k Dolby vision.

All this talk from Matt McRae on Dolby atmos working, and the latest firmware release that does not support it. With me now outside of my return windows for the devices. Has me a bit miffed and frustrated.

Also Why does vizio advertise that there smart cast app will search apps on tablet and direct you to content with those companies. This does not work with netflix! Search Marco Polo or Dare Devil. Then routes your to vudo. Which you can watch for a cost. Which makes no sense if you have it free with netflix.

I want 4k & full immersion sound technology that will last for years into the future. Some what future proof. On paper these devices should play nice together properly. If they don't or won't, I need to find a way to get my money back and go back the to the drawing board. I did my research on HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2. Manufacturers get with the program!
MichiganTim is offline  
post #16877 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTim View Post
I had a less then a year old VSX-90, Upgraded to SC-95 after picking up the P65. The main reason I upgraded the SC-95 was an additional channel of Atmos and more amps. If they can't resolve DD+ and atmos through ARC and control mode. This is a deal breaker for me. PCM is only 2 channel stereo.

I have played DD+/Atmos content through Amazon Fire TV. I hear a noticeable difference. Problem is Amazon device is only HDMI 1.4 from what I have read. No 4k Dolby vision.

All this talk from Matt McRae on Dolby atmos working, and the latest firmware release that does not support it. With me now outside of my return windows for the devices. Has me a bit miffed and frustrated.

Also Why does vizio advertise that there smart cast app will search apps on tablet and direct you to content with those companies. This does not work with netflix! Search Marco Polo or Dare Devil. Then routes your to vudo. Which you can watch for a cost. Which makes no sense if you have it free with netflix.

I want 4k & full immersion sound technology that will last for years into the future. Some what future proof. On paper these devices should play nice together properly. If they don't or won't, I need to find a way to get my money back and go back the to the drawing board. I did my research on HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2. Manufacturers get with the program!
I agree with you. Unfortunately I think Vizio is only part of the equation. The underlying spec for DD+ over ARC plus multiple manufacturer device integrations makes this very challenging to debug. I've tried everything to get it to work. I cannot decode DD+ over ARC. My cable is 35' long. Unfortunately there's no way for me to test this with a shorter cable so I don't know if that would fix it. Sounds like you use a shorter cable and it doesn't work.

Are you saying you cannot get 5.1 surround? DD?

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16878 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
I must be one of the few lucky ones, because I haven't had one issue with my P55. I was even able to watch SDR programming using Vivid and some scenes looked good, especially bright scenes. I guess a issue I do have, is not being able to turn off reduce jutter and motion blur in Vivid mode.
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #16879 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I think it's very important for everyone to remember that test patterns like the one mentioned on the Rtings site are designed to isolate a specific thing and make it really obvious. In this particular case, it almost illustrates the FALD design as much as it demonstrates that it's visible in a very limited, specific few cases.



And as you mentioned... we don't watch patterns. We watch real content and I've never notice this other than with reverse white credits scrolling on a black background. I believe much of what we perceive as vertical banding on the display is actually the FALD grid which can be visible on light, smooth backgrounds.


Not the yellow band.

If you have a yellow band get Vizio to give you the corrected model.


Nobody has to live with the yellow band.
Madmax67 likes this.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #16880 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Member
 
MichiganTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I agree with you. Unfortunately I think Vizio is only part of the equation. The underlying spec for DD+ over ARC plus multiple manufacturer device integrations makes this very challenging to debug. I've tried everything to get it to work. I cannot decode DD+ over ARC. My cable is 35' long. Unfortunately there's no way for me to test this with a shorter cable so I don't know if that would fix it. Sounds like you use a shorter cable and it doesn't work.

Are you saying you cannot get 5.1 surround? DD?
First Thomas, Thank you for trying to test and debug this with me. Much appreciated!

I have vizio supplied short cable connected between AVR and TV. Vizio rep Kris asked me to email my connection information, setting information, and firmware vs on all equipment. That was a week ago from last Thursday. I have called Vizio multiple times. They tell me it's on the list and they will call me with update. A week later, still no update and to just sit patiently and wait by the phone. Well my patience is about up. Fueled by being outside of return window for this equipment.

Vudo:
Seems to work no problem with DD+ & Atmos over smart cast with ARC control mode on. I have only tested with free Dolby experience content.

Netflix:
AVR Control mode on: No sound unless I turn PCM on Vizio.
AVR Control mode off: DD 5.1 only. With Vizio set to ARC only. No DD+ which from my understanding means no Atmos raw codec. So AVR will be up converting and sending out a hybrid of ATMOS.I have tried all different combinations of settings on both TV and AVR. With multiple power on/off of equipment.

So why does Vudo work but netflix does not work?

Amazon Fire Tv 2nd gen:
DD sounds pretty good. A bit lack luster compared to when I play content through amazon fire tv 2nd gen. It sounds amazing. Noticeable improvement! So since the Amazon fire TV Can't do 4k DV, this device was a waste of money as well. Purchased just before TV arrived.

So much miss information out there! So difficult as a consumer to dot your I's and cross your T's to have a nice system that plays nice together. That is future proof for the future. I get that the technology is young and new. But when your hanging on that firmware upgrades will resolve the issues. And comments from Matt McRae about Atmos specifically. I had a level of comfort that the problems would be sorted out. My level of confidence is now low, since Vizio won't give me a time line of when problems will be resolved, and the longer I wait for a answer, the further out I am pushed away from my return window of these devices.

Last edited by MichiganTim; 06-18-2016 at 10:15 AM.
MichiganTim is offline  
post #16881 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTim View Post
First Thomas, Thank you for trying to test and debug this with me. Much appreciated!

I have vizio supplied short cable connected between AVR and TV. Vizio rep Kris asked me to email my connection information, setting information, and firmware vs on all equipment. That was a week ago from last Thursday. I have called Vizio multiple times. They tell me it's on the list and they will call me with update. A week later, still no update and to just sit patiently and wait by the phone. Well my patience is about up. Fueled by being outside of return window for this equipment.

Vudo:
Seems to work no problem with DD+ & Atmos over smart cast with ARC control mode on. I have only tested with free Dolby experience content.

Netflix:
AVR Control mode on: No sound unless I turn PCM on Vizio.
AVR Control mode off: DD 5.1 only. With Vizio set to ARC only. No DD+ which from my understanding means no Atmos raw codec. So AVR will be up converting and sending out a hybrid of ATMOS.I have tried all different combinations of settings on both TV and AVR. With multiple power on/off of equipment.

So why does Vudo work but netflix does not work?

Amazon Fire Tv 2nd gen:
DD sounds pretty good. A bit lack luster compared to when I play content through amazon fire tv 2nd gen. It sounds amazing. Noticeable improvement! So since the Amazon fire TV Can't do 4k DV, this device was a waste of money as well. Purchased just before TV arrived.

So much miss information out there! So difficult as a consumer to dot your I's and cross your T's to have a nice system that plays nice together. That is future proof for the future. I get that the technology is young and new. But when your hanging on that firmware upgrades will resolve the issues. And comments from Matt McRae about Atmos specifically. I had a level of comfort that the problems would be sorted out. My level of confidence is now low, since Vizio won't give me a time line of when problems will be resolved, and the longer I wait for a answer, the further out I am pushed away from my return window of these devices.
So, you're working better than me. You are getting DD+ and Atmos over ARC with VUDU, the only streaming source that includes the lossy ATMOS track via DD+. I'm setup permanently the way you need to setup for Netflix and I get DD which decodes as 5.1. The AVR upscales that automatically to 5.1.4.

I personally don't believe any CEC control functions should need to be on for DD+ to work. Only ARC should need to be enabled. That could be a shared standards issue. You shouldn't have to change anything to get VUDU and Netflix to both pass 5.1 that's for sure.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16882 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
Not the yellow band.

If you have a yellow band get Vizio to give you the corrected model.


Nobody has to live with the yellow band.
Nothing in my post had anything to do with "yellow" banding. You've solved your problem I believe.
rockaway1836 and The_Donster like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #16883 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turts85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whicker View Post
It helps a lot thank you!

The set is going in a bedroom with 1 window that has a shade. Its pretty dark but a bit of light does come in on either side. My old set is a plasma as well so if what you are saying about viewing angles is true I might be safer going with the p55. Seems like the only real positive of the p50 is the darker blacks and while I do love dark blacks it might not be worth sacrificing everything else the p55 offers .

Has anyone tested the WCG difference between the VA and IPS? From what I saw of the rtings and cnet reviews they only tested VAs. Same goes for the latency, ~15 from the IPS as well would be perfect but from what I've hears IPS panels tend to be slower than VAs.
Input lag and pixel response I believe are two different things. Both sets share the same input lag...but from my experience going from the P55 to the P50 is that the IPS panel is a bit slower, which is subjective because I did no real tests, just my eyes and hands with gaming. I fully agree with ScaryLarry, the P50 Viewing angle is extremely tight but blacks are noticeably better than the P55, which was no slouch. I think I had a defective panel because my LB bars are night appeared grayish not black like they do on the P50. I have a few days left to swap back to the P55, which I might do because of its better colors, viewing angle, and motion options. The little bit you sacrifice not going with the P50 or VA panel, is made up with the pros of the IPS. It is no where near a edge lit IPS panel, the FALD works great. I personally believe the P55 is brighter than the P50 too. I enjoy my P50 but what good is great contrast and blacks when they degrade significantly when you move a few inches left or right. If I shift my body even the slightest bit, the colors go from great to immediately unsaturated. The P65 viewing angle is much better, but the P50 is cringing at times. I say go with the P55...I love love love my P50 for gaming but as far as motion (which isn't bad or anything), color and viewing angle..it leaves a little to be desired.
Heinz68 likes this.
turts85 is offline  
post #16884 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Member
 
MichiganTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I have a similar setup. ARC works without dropouts to the SC-95 using Bitstream or PCM. I do not get DD+ or ATMOS to my SC-95 (yes, I have an ATMOS speaker setup 5.1.4).

I have CEC "ARC only" set on the display and in HDMI setup on the AVR I have Control "On", Control Mode "off" and ARC "On".

Supposedly to be able to decode DD+ or ATMOS on the AVR you need Control Mode "ON" on the AVR and CEC set to "enabled" on the display. This doesn't work for me. I still only get DDSurround on the AVR (5.1)

I've pretty much given up on this as I'm not sure it's Vizio's fault or Pioneer or just crappy implementation of a really bad CEC spec/technology to begin with.

Regardless, I'm getting 5.1 no problem without dropouts and the AVR has DSP's that up-mix to 5.1.4 and it sounds really great.
Vudo: required a series of power on/off after changing settings. I can't remember which device order got the hdmi flags working.

Here are the settings I used for Vudoo:
SC-95:
Firmware Vs. 1-289-011-722-193 (p6.6007.1193)
ARC Control: On
Control Mode: On
PQLS: Auto
Stanby Through: Last

P65
Firmware: 1.1.14.4
CEC: Arc only ( I have tried enable, This has had 0 impact on Arc with netflix or Vudo)
Audio:
Speakers: Off
Surround Sound: Off, Switch is in left position
Volume Leveling: Off, Switch is in left position
Balance: 0
Lip Sync: 0
Digital Audio Out: 0
Analog Audio Out: Fixed
Mute: Off, Switch is in the left position

My system is settings are configured so that I get netflix in DD and 5.1.

Vizio/Matt McRae this is not satisfactory!
MichiganTim is offline  
post #16885 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganTim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I agree with you. Unfortunately I think Vizio is only part of the equation. The underlying spec for DD+ over ARC plus multiple manufacturer device integrations makes this very challenging to debug. I've tried everything to get it to work. I cannot decode DD+ over ARC. My cable is 35' long. Unfortunately there's no way for me to test this with a shorter cable so I don't know if that would fix it. Sounds like you use a shorter cable and it doesn't work.

Are you saying you cannot get 5.1 surround? DD?
First Thomas, Thank you for trying to test and debug this with me. Much appreciated!

I have vizio supplied short cable connected between AVR and TV. Vizio rep Kris asked me to email my connection information, setting information, and firmware vs on all equipment. That was a week ago from last Thursday. I have called Vizio multiple times. They tell me it's on the list and they will call me with update. A week later, still no update and to just sit patiently and wait by the phone. Well my patience is about up. Fueled by being outside of return window for this equipment.

Vudo:
Seems to work no problem with DD+ & Atmos over smart cast with ARC control mode on. I have only tested with free Dolby experience content.

Netflix:
AVR Control mode on: No sound unless I turn PCM on Vizio.
AVR Control mode off: DD 5.1 only. With Vizio set to ARC only. No DD+ which from my understanding means no Atmos raw codec. So AVR will be up converting and sending out a hybrid of ATMOS.I have tried all different combinations of settings on both TV and AVR. With multiple power on/off of equipment.

So why does Vudo work but netflix does not work?

Amazon Fire Tv 2nd gen:
DD sounds pretty good. A bit lack luster compared to when I play content through amazon fire tv 2nd gen. It sounds amazing. Noticeable improvement! So since the Amazon fire TV Can't do 4k DV, this device was a waste of money as well. Purchased just before TV arrived.

So much miss information out there! So difficult as a consumer to dot your I's and cross your T's to have a nice system that plays nice together. That is future proof for the future. I get that the technology is young and new. But when your hanging on that firmware upgrades will resolve the issues. And comments from Matt McRae about Atmos specifically. I had a level of comfort that the problems would be sorted out. My level of confidence is now low, since Vizio won't give me a time line of when problems will be resolved, and the longer I wait for a answer, the further out I am pushed away from my return window of these devices.
Sounds like the sound issue goes further than Vizio, but to the content provider as well. What I have noticed, is the differences between device app integration. The NetFlix app launches differently on my wifes Roku 4 than the P55 in the living room. It launches differently on my daughter's WiiU.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is a app issue, that Vizio has to work with NetFlix to resolve.
thomasfxlt likes this.
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #16886 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Member
 
cwills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
Worth mentioning, rtings.com in their review of the E6 remarked "The Vizio P Series 2016 has a slightly worse picture quality when viewed directly from front but lot worse when watched from the side. Its screen uniformity is notably worse. It has a very low input lag, which makes it a better choice for video games."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6

For such a significant price difference this is quite the compliment. If after all the craziness around getting my P Series delivered and I find it has serious panel defects going forward I'll likely get the OLED (as I've said). Not that it's Vizio's fault, but all this business has left the most sour taste in my mouth. I hope the panel is fault free and meets or surpasses my expectations. The size upgrade was certainly wonderful.

For those interested in my case, after being on the phone with Best Buy for no less than 8 hours today (conservative estimate) I finally talked to someone who could get me a replacement on Monday. I've also been promised some form of "compensation" for my trouble, whatever that means.


-Vader
If you bought through the store then talk to a manager there as well about your problems. You should be able to get some compensation from the store and through customer support that may make some of your time wasted on the phone worth while. Don't expect much from just customer support.
cwills is offline  
post #16887 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Jeremy Wadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Yellow Band

I've included a photo of the yellow band that goes through the center of my screen. Ive already had my P65 replaced once under warranty because of a different and much worse issue. Ive been trying my best to not notice the yellow band. But because I know it's there and because I like watching hockey and classic movies it's hard to ignore. Plus by the fact that it's in the center of the screen.


If you were in my shoes would you call Vizio again and try to have it replaced under warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1504225  
Jeremy Wadian is offline  
post #16888 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Member
 
MichiganTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Sounds like the sound issue goes further than Vizio, but to the content provider as well. What I have noticed, is the differences between device app integration. The NetFlix app launches differently on my wifes Roku 4 than the P55 in the living room. It launches differently on my daughter's WiiU.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is a app issue, that Vizio has to work with NetFlix to resolve.
The weird thing is that Setting changes in the AVR for control mode (Allows me to control avr with vizio remote) impacts the sound format with netflix.

Netflix Amazon fire tv app works perfect for DD+.Which I believe Amazon Fire TV runs a special vs. of android os.

Well I have done a 3 way conference call between Vizio and netflix. At one time netflix agent said problem was on there side probably. Vizio said it was not on there side. The next day netflix engineering said that it is on Vizio side. That netflix just supplies the SDK shell program and google spits out a android app. Netflix says the app just links to there web site database, it's just a interface to there website. The web site is all that they program. I also spent hours on the phone with pioneer. They said it is not on there side. Stuck in the finger pointing scenario. At this point Vizio has no feedback on the situation. Probably waiting for there engineering team to find time in there schedule to test and figure out where they think the issue lies. IT has been over 2 weeks since I first reported problem to Vizio, Pioneer, Netflix. You don't want to know how many hours I have spent on the phone with all parties. LOL not fun.
MichiganTim is offline  
post #16889 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Member
 
MichiganTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
So, you're working better than me. You are getting DD+ and Atmos over ARC with VUDU, the only streaming source that includes the lossy ATMOS track via DD+. I'm setup permanently the way you need to setup for Netflix and I get DD which decodes as 5.1. The AVR upscales that automatically to 5.1.4.

I personally don't believe any CEC control functions should need to be on for DD+ to work. Only ARC should need to be enabled. That could be a shared standards issue. You shouldn't have to change anything to get VUDU and Netflix to both pass 5.1 that's for sure.
What has your contacts at Vizio said about ARC/Atmos/DD+/Netflix with Pioneer SC-95?
MichiganTim is offline  
post #16890 of 64599 Old 06-18-2016, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wadian View Post
I've included a photo of the yellow band that goes through the center of my screen. Ive already had my P65 replaced once under warranty because of a different and much worse issue. Ive been trying my best to not notice the yellow band. But because I know it's there and because I like watching hockey and classic movies it's hard to ignore. Plus by the fact that it's in the center of the screen.


If you were in my shoes would you call Vizio again and try to have it replaced under warranty?
You should work directly with Vizio to replace that. IMO it's outside the acceptable level. Others have had success with getting displays without the localized discoloration.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off