Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 713 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288682Likes

post #21361 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Just a quick Canadian non-news:

Spoke to a geek squad guy who seemed to know what he was talking about and basically, Best BUY Canada has no info whatsoever regarding the 2016 Vizio lineup.
They are being kept in the dark same as all of us.

He did say that they have a trade show in Toronto coming up in August and he is confident they will know what's what at that point.

I know many still want to buy from Costco only but having more places to buy from is a good thing considering the abysmal stock Canada has
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21362 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
-deep sigh-

I woke up this morning to yet another problem with this TV. After having this TV for about a month the casting remote suddenly stopped detecting my router. I power cycled the router and remote but still "No internet connection." The TV, however, does detect my router when I "test connection." But the casting remote won't pick up the wifi signal (that I know is working via laptop/smart phone) no matter what I do. Every week it seems like there's a new issue to fix.

I still haven't totally solved outputting 1080p from my laptop—half the time it works perfectly and half the time 1080p video has a weird "stutter" effect and weird visual artifacts. It's seemingly at random when it works and when it doesn't.

I love this set, but I have to say it has had exponentially more problems than any mid to high end TV I have ever purchased.

-Vader
post #21363 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Thanks for all the opinions on 4:4:4 versus 4:2:2 now go take it up with Vizio. I repeat if somebody wants to synthesize a post making a specific point please do so and I will link to it on page 1.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21364 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Thanks for all the opinions on 4:4:4 versus 4:2:2 now go take it up with Vizio. I repeat if somebody wants to synthesize a post making a specific point please do so and I will link to it on page 1.
So we're not allowed to discuss it anymore? Alrighty then. Thought this thread was for owners to discuss issues with the TV but apparently you have a secret limit to the number of posts pertaining to specific issues. Next time let us know in advance what the cut off is so we don't annoy you.
pcp7 likes this.
post #21365 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Day 2 with my new P65.

I haven't had the chance to watch any 4k or Dolby Vision content yet, only HD cable.

Any suggestions on what 4k or DV content I should watch tonight to blow my mind?

I don't have a Blu-ray or any 3rd party hardware yet. From what I gathered it looks like buying a show or movie from VUDU would be my best bet?
post #21366 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
A random internet user synthesizing a 4:4:4 chroma test and posting it up is a terrible idea. The fact is most people ahve no idea what 4:4:4 is, let alone how to properly test for it. I could take a bottom of the barrel 720p TV and have it display a test image correctly by scaling the image incorrectly.

Rtings has been testing for 4:4:4 for a lot of displays for a while now and it's pretty clear they know what they are doing when displaying test images. Taking a random internet users poorly conducted test as evidence over a trusted review site shows significant confirmation bias on your part.
Stuntman_Mike and lordj like this.
post #21367 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraperio View Post
There is nothing hypothetical about a set being able to display 4:4:4 chroma and the use people get from it. There is a notable difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 for some uses and some people want their TV to be able to display full uncompressed color.

I require 4:4:4 for my setup and despite what is advertised this set does not display it. I would love for it to, but it does not.

Just because you do not require a particular feature for your setup uses does not mean that that particular feature is of no worth to anyone or is "hypothetical".

I agree that 4:2:2 is sufficient in most cases to produce acceptable image quality. However there are people that need 4:4:4 subsampling. HTPC's being a prime example.

The issue is not whether 4:2:2 is "good enough". The issue is that this set is claimed to be capable of 4:4:4 at 1080p and 4k @60Hz and it is not. And because it lacks this feature that many contemporary sets are capable of (Samsung, Sony, et al) and have been capable of for years, this set does not meet the requirements of many people looking for a 4:4:4 capable set.

And the kicker is I really wish it did. This is an awesome display otherwise and Vizio really screwed the pooch on this one by omitting this very simple capability on their premium set.
I'm not being a smart ass, really, but please do provide and example of use as well as the viewing distance were the "broken" 4:4:4 is truly visible and distracting.
My guess is maybe it can be noticeable in windows desktop on icons if you are closer than 8 feet away?
htwaits and mpgxsvcd like this.
post #21368 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Thanks. Probably going to pull the trigger on BvS today. I cannot wait to compare DV and HDR10 on the same set. I really hope HDR10 looks as good as these DV streams. Watched the last half of Gastby last night and it is probably one of the best things I have ever seen on a TV screen.
My understanding is that although the UHD discs are very high quality bitrate, it seems static HDR doesnt come even close to the dynamic nature of DV
post #21369 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Thanks. Probably going to pull the trigger on BvS today. I cannot wait to compare DV and HDR10 on the same set. I really hope HDR10 looks as good as these DV streams. Watched the last half of Gastby last night and it is probably one of the best things I have ever seen on a TV screen.
I watched BvS on my Samsung TV with the Samsung 4K Bluray player. It looked really good in HDR10. Especially the fight scenes at the end. Certain parts were blindingly bright. However, BvS is not one of the best HDR movies though. Revenant is probably the best HDR10 movie. Gatsby is probably the best DV movie.

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar, Nvidia Shield, PS4
toonj64 likes this.
post #21370 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown24 View Post
Day 2 with my new P65.

I haven't had the chance to watch any 4k or Dolby Vision content yet, only HD cable.

Any suggestions on what 4k or DV content I should watch tonight to blow my mind?

I don't have a Blu-ray or any 3rd party hardware yet. From what I gathered it looks like buying a show or movie from VUDU would be my best bet?
Seems all agree that Gatsby and Pacific Rim is the way to go. Nice combo too considering the very different visual style and color palette
post #21371 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
I watched BvS on my Samsung TV with the Samsung 4K Bluray player. It looked really good in HDR10. Especially the fight scenes at the end. Certain parts were blindingly bright. However, BvS is not one of the best HDR movies though. Revenant is probably the best HDR10 movie. Gatsby is probably the best DV movie.

Thanks for that. I own revenant and it already looks great without HDR10. This really is the most annoying time period with TVs. First we had 4K TVs, then we had 4K with HEVC onboard, then we had 4K with HDR10 only, then 4K with HDR10 and DV, next we will have 4K with HDR10 dynamic and DV. That is all in the last 2 years! WTF.

I couldn't imagine explaining this to a person looking to buy a new TV. "Just buy this one. It has everything....at least for the next 3 months"
post #21372 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Seems all agree that Gatsby and Pacific Rim is the way to go. Nice combo too considering the very different visual style and color palette
Pacific Rim looks ridiculously good in DV. Definite "show off" material.
mpgxsvcd, mikestr and Seatown24 like this.
post #21373 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A random internet user synthesizing a 4:4:4 chroma test and posting it up is a terrible idea. The fact is most people ahve no idea what 4:4:4 is, let alone how to properly test for it. I could take a bottom of the barrel 720p TV and have it display a test image correctly by scaling the image incorrectly.

Rtings has been testing for 4:4:4 for a lot of displays for a while now and it's pretty clear they know what they are doing when displaying test images. Taking a random internet users poorly conducted test as evidence over a trusted review site shows significant confirmation bias on your part.
They've made their share of mistakes and I challenge you to find "experts" on any subject that agree on everything..... Yet they may all be "experts".
htwaits, toonj64 and Bootnylee like this.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #21374 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown24 View Post
Day 2 with my new P65.

Mad Max: Fury Road is DV on VUDU, and looks really good. As others have said, Pacific Rim is impressive. Marco Polo on Netflix is DV.....lots of dark scenes, and really showcases the black levels.
post #21375 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
So we're not allowed to discuss it anymore? Alrighty then. Thought this thread was for owners to discuss issues with the TV but apparently you have a secret limit to the number of posts pertaining to specific issues. Next time let us know in advance what the cut off is so we don't annoy you.
Discussing it is one thing. Flogging a dead horse is something else. At this point I think most of us are in agreement that the P-series can accept a 4:4:4 input but perhaps not display it properly. So what's next? If we expect feedback from Vizio on this issue (either confirmation that this is the display's intended behavior or whether this can be corrected via firmware) we'll need to contact them directly. I suggest either tweeting or PM'ing @Matt McRae -- I did this a while ago about the "yellow band" and got an answer very quickly.

Bitching about the 4:4:4 issue here ad nauseum isn't likely to get it resolved. If it's something that bugs you, contact Vizio, and post back here once you get an answer. Simply repeating gripes and complaints over and over won't get them fixed and just clogs up the thread.

I sure we all wish that 4:4:4 would work properly and that we could get our HDR10 fix NOW. But pissing and moaning about it repeatedly here isn't doing anyone any good.
htwaits, mpgxsvcd, Ph8te and 7 others like this.
post #21376 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
What's to discuss? How many times do you need to make your point? What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

1. There's NOBODY here that can fix it for you
2. It can't be fixed with a setting change or a cable
3. It most likely can't be fixed in firmware and you know it.

So, what's your objective? Do you think you need to say it more than once? Why is that?
Schwa, htwaits, pwishart and 1 others like this.

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 07-20-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #21377 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
-deep sigh-

I woke up this morning to yet another problem with this TV. After having this TV for about a month the casting remote suddenly stopped detecting my router. I power cycled the router and remote but still "No internet connection." The TV, however, does detect my router when I "test connection." But the casting remote won't pick up the wifi signal (that I know is working via laptop/smart phone) no matter what I do. Every week it seems like there's a new issue to fix.

I still haven't totally solved outputting 1080p from my laptop—half the time it works perfectly and half the time 1080p video has a weird "stutter" effect and weird visual artifacts. It's seemingly at random when it works and when it doesn't.

I love this set, but I have to say it has had exponentially more problems than any mid to high end TV I have ever purchased.

-Vader

Go into wifi setting on tablet and forget your wifi network. And then re add it. Just a heads up though. This might not be the tablets fault per say. A lot of android devices have a bug where wifi says you are connected but there is no internet. It happens on my wife's galaxy s6 as well. It normally resolves it self after a few minutes but redoing the network on the tablet should help.
htwaits likes this.
post #21378 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

They've made their share of mistakes and I challenge you to find "experts" on any subject that agree on everything..... Yet they may all be "experts".
Nobody has been able to achieve 4:4:4 on this set. One guy says he did, nobody else is able to replicate it, owners or professionals.
post #21379 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Thanks for that. I own revenant and it already looks great without HDR10. This really is the most annoying time period with TVs. First we had 4K TVs, then we had 4K with HEVC onboard, then we had 4K with HDR10 only, then 4K with HDR10 and DV, next we will have 4K with HDR10 dynamic and DV. That is all in the last 2 years! WTF.

I couldn't imagine explaining this to a person looking to buy a new TV. "Just buy this one. It has everything....at least for the next 3 months"

Well yeah. They want to revive the tv industry into yearly refresh. The market stagnated with 720/1080p since you needed to buy it only once.

We will have dynamic hdr, 12 bit panels, 99% dci p3, 99% % rec 2020, rec 2100,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21380 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's to discuss? How many times do you need to make your point? What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

1. There NOBODY here that can fix it for you
2. It can't be fixed with a setting change or a cable
3. It most likely can't be fixed in firmware and you know it.

So, what's your objective? Do you think you need to say it more than once? Why is that?
Honestly it should be able to be fixed in a firmware release. But that doesn't mean it will. The tvs hardware should be perfectly capable of displaying 4:4:4. The problem seems to be with the way the tv is reacting to and what it decides to display with the signal it is provided.
post #21381 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Go into wifi setting on tablet and forget your wifi network. And then re add it. Just a heads up though. This might not be the tablets fault per say. A lot of android devices have a bug where wifi says you are connected but there is no internet. It happens on my wife's galaxy s6 as well. It normally resolves it self after a few minutes but redoing the network on the tablet should help.

Hmm... that I did not try. I will do so when I come home, thank you! I'm new to Android devices as I've always had Apple products as far as that goes. The problem didn't correct itself over the 90 or so minutes I tried getting it to work before I left for work. I like turning something on in the background during that period but unfortunately it was spent fooling with this.

Hoping this works, thanks again.

-Vader
post #21382 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post

Question for you because I can't tell if the movie is displaying correctly on my screen. In the chase scene with the bat mobile in the middle of the movie, do the headlights literally light up where its causes like actual blue tint as if you were standing in front of the car. It is hard for me to describe, but the lights seem too streak across the screen.
post #21383 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Honestly it should be able to be fixed in a firmware release. But that doesn't mean it will. The tvs hardware should be perfectly capable of displaying 4:4:4. The problem seems to be with the way the tv is reacting to and what it decides to display with the signal it is provided.
That would be great. I have no opinion of what the current state is but it appears it's something less than absolute 4:4:4.

I think everyone would agree that Vizio is central to anything that happens moving forward. People should just contact them and express their concern or dissatisfaction or whatever. When companies are growing, they tend to react to fires rather than smoke. I think people should point the feedback where it belongs, that's all. With Vizio.
shortyg83, toonj64 and Bootnylee like this.

post #21384 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Daniel from Rtings.com here. After a lot more playing around, we are able to reproduce @mpgxsvcd results, resulting in a bit clearer picture than the one we posted in the review. Unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable a few times did it. However, even with this, it is not as clear as a real 4:4:4. It looks like half way in between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. Almost a pass, but not quite. You can see it also in his pictures, the last 2 lines should be slightly better. Increasing 'Sharpness' makes it look a bit better, but even with that it is not perfect.

With that said, as others have mentioned, it is really not that big of a deal for 95% of people. It doesn't matter for movies. You shouldn't let that prevent you from buying the Vizio P. It is a great TV. It only matters if you will be using it as a PC monitor, 2-3 feet away.

Let me know if you guys think we should consider this a pass. If the consensus here is to consider this very close result a pass, we will update all our reviews to account for this.
post #21385 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Had a P50-C1 being delivered for B-Day gift, UPS showed upand even the driver said not to take delivery. When I saw the box it looked like a couple of rhinos played soccer with it. Never had this happen with electronics. Anyone had this experience and how long did it take to get resolved if it did. Quick question I have a Hopper 3 with OTA will this work with the P series or do I need a digital converter.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
post #21386 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOKeeffe View Post
Daniel from Rtings.com here. After a lot more playing around, we are able to reproduce @mpgxsvcd results, resulting in a bit clearer picture than the one we posted in the review. Unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable a few times did it. However, even with this, it is not as clear as a real 4:4:4. It looks like half way in between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. Almost a pass, but not quite. You can see it also in his pictures, the last 2 lines should be slightly better. Increasing 'Sharpness' makes it look a bit better, but even with that it is not perfect.

With that said, as others have mentioned, it is really not that big of a deal for 95% of people. It doesn't matter for movies. You shouldn't let that prevent you from buying the Vizio P. It is a great TV. It only matters if you will be using it as a PC monitor, 2-3 feet away.

Let me know if you guys think we should consider this a pass. If the consensus here is to consider this very close result a pass, we will update all our reviews to account for this.

Daniel. I can't thank you enough for that. We appreciate the work you do. I also appreciate the contributions of MPG who's made a great effort to help clarify what the display is doing, and I clumsily came to the conclusion you just stated.

Yes, I vote "PASS"... 2-3 feet is hardly a typical use-case for these sizes.

I will link your response to Page 1.
Soycrema, htwaits, Ph8te and 4 others like this.

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 07-20-2016 at 08:59 AM.
post #21387 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've been following this thread for awhile now. It seems as if 90 percent of the posts are about problems or airing grievances about the delay of the HDR update. Does anybody have good news to report about their display? I understand more people complain than praise but it would be nice to hear from other owners who actually like the new P series and have no or very minor problems!
post #21388 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5606 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOKeeffe View Post

First I want to thank you for the work you guys have done on your site. Definitely a stop for me in my daily surf. Thanks for taking the time to look at what we do here.
Do you have updated photos in the review now? Some side by sides with others that clearly pass?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
thomasfxlt, toonj64 and kepowers1 like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #21389 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
It's nice to see you received your display! Gatsby and PR for sure.... After that, there's another 4-6 in the same league.
Seatown24 likes this.

post #21390 of 64614 Old 07-20-2016, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman1 View Post
Had a P50-C1 being delivered for B-Day gift, UPS showed upand even the driver said not to take delivery. When I saw the box it looked like a couple of rhinos played soccer with it. Never had this happen with electronics. Anyone had this experience and how long did it take to get resolved if it did. Quick question I have a Hopper 3 with OTA will this work with the P series or do I need a digital converter.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Ups ground or freight? Tvs should never be sent via ground. I would request whoever you bought it from to send out another display asap. Since they are the shippers they deal with the damage claim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page