Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288474Likes

post #2371 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
I totally get what you're saying, and it makes 100% sense.

But to my eyes, the image isn't messed up in mad max if i crank the backlight, I've watched the whole movie and thought it looked absolutely fantastic with the backlight maxed, and San Andreas didn't look bad either.

There's a difference between not looking like reference and looking EXTREMELY SCREWED UP like pacific rim... I think you're really underestimating how differently it affects that title here, because it's NOTHING like it is for mad max and san andreas.

Check it out and you'll see exactly what i'm talking about.... Changing backlight in Pacific Rim affects the picture absolutely nothing like it does the other titles. I guess that's why I'm making a big deal about it. You may be having trouble visualizing what I mean... It's absolutely totally different. Like I said, it's not just making it look different from reference, it completely destroys the picture entirely... It makes the effect of changing the backlight in mad max look immaterial.
I don't doubt that. It very well may have something messed up with how it was mastered or graded.
el_carro likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardk View Post
I understand that there is no Amazon app for this TV, and there is no way to get HDR from Amazon. But if I use a Roku 4 or a Fire TV can I at least get Amazon video in 4K? Anyone try it? Any other solutions (TiVo Bolt? HTPC?).

Does the Vizio M series have an Amazon app that gets Amazon video in 4K?
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-DV83YW-.../dp/B00U3FPN4U

They say it'll receive an update for HDR soon, if doesn't already have it.
cloudsblade likes this.

LG 65E6 | Denon x3200 | Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RS-62II - R-115SW
post #2373 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Getting my C6 refurb in the mail today. Should be a fun weekend.
dnoonie likes this.

LG 65C7
Denon AVR-X3300W
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts, 3090 center, 3010 surrounds
SVS PB-1000
Samsung K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninhalem View Post
Then what meter are you using with CalMAN 5 Enthusiast? It appears that entry cost into calibrating this set with DV is steep.
I have the retail version of the iDisplayPro.... Yes... you're looking at $600 with a decent meter and iDisplayPro appears to be the minimum for DV.

There will probably be opportunity to have a pro do it for less. If you're like me and you like this stuff, it might be worth it for the geek factor.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #2375 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardk View Post
I understand that there is no Amazon app for this TV, and there is no way to get HDR from Amazon. But if I use a Roku 4 or a Fire TV can I at least get Amazon video in 4K? Anyone try it? Any other solutions (TiVo Bolt? HTPC?).

Does the Vizio M series have an Amazon app that gets Amazon video in 4K?
You could use the Roku 4 to get amazon in 4K, but the roku does not support HDR. Also, Amazon is using HDR10 which is not yet available on the vizio (should be within 90 days via a software update). The only way to watch Amazon in HDR right now is through built in apps on those TVs that have them.
post #2376 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Quote:
I totally get what you're saying, and it makes 100% sense.

But to my eyes, the image isn't messed up in mad max if i crank the backlight, I've watched the whole movie and thought it looked absolutely fantastic with the backlight maxed, and San Andreas didn't look bad either.

There's a difference between not looking like reference and looking EXTREMELY SCREWED UP like pacific rim... I think you're really underestimating how differently it affects that title here, because it's NOTHING like it is for mad max and san andreas.

Check it out and you'll see exactly what i'm talking about.... Changing backlight in Pacific Rim affects the picture absolutely nothing like it does the other titles. I guess that's why I'm making a big deal about it. You may be having trouble visualizing what I mean... It's absolutely totally different. Like I said, it's not just making it look different from reference, it completely destroys the picture entirely... It makes the effect of changing the backlight in mad max look immaterial.
I don't doubt that. It very well may have something messed up with how it was mastered or graded.
Yup. I'm eager to hear your thoughts on pacific rim so please be sure to post back after you watch it this weekend! Your comments are highly valued here!
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #2377 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang66 View Post
I hooked up my P75 tonight and was also having issues. Kept saying an update was needed to use Netflix but it would not update following the directions on the screen (reconnecting tablet, turning off for 10 min, etc). I ended up downloading the latest firmware off Vizio's website and updated via USB drive, which worked. Hopefully future updates go smoother.
wait wait!. So an actual honest to god firmware update, on a Vizio TV, OVER USB!!!!!!?!?!?!
VBB, Ph8te, GorillaBot and 1 others like this.
post #2378 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Without using google cast and limiting yourself to the K8500, you won't be able to use DolbyVision. DV was one of the big reasons I went for this set instead of the 930C I had on order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
If I get this TV (not yet available at my local Best Buys, only the distribution center in Dallas, Tx), I will probably never use that limited android remote / google cast - Samsung K8500 for the win.

Vizio P65-C1
post #2379 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post
Good question. My KURO is like a space heater that shows movies so I'm hoping the new FALD and OLED sets have cut down on the oven factor.
I am a new P75-C1 owner, mostly because of this forum, but I am having space heater issues. The display is heating up my room by at least 3 degrees within an hour or so. I have included a pic of the layout of my room, plus the ceilings are 9 feet high (note I have included where the display is hung and where the thermostat is located). I am enjoying the PQ, but I did not expect it to heat up a room this large. Is this expected?

I have placed an email to Vizio support and I am just anxious to know if I will be returning this unit or not.

Thank you in advance of all of your comments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio TV.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1352394  
post #2380 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
Hi All,

Have the P75 and am seeing some strangeness with CEC with my Marantz AV7005.

So on the TV, if I set CEC to enable, I see "No Devices Found" When I put my ATV4 to sleep, the TV is supposed to turn off, but it doesn't. Same with starting the ATV4 - TV doesn't react at all.

The weird thing is that when I turn off CEC on my Vizio, my AVR turns off. Turn it back to enabled, and it turns back on! So there IS communication happening, but not when it's supposed to.

This seems like a firmware issue, as this worked fine with my last TV, a Sony KDL-60NX810.

Anyone see similar issues and find a fix?

- Thanx
- Jon
I'm having the same issue with my Pioneer VSX-90 and spoke to VIZIO, they said a firmware update is coming today/tomorrow to address the CEC issues. One thing about VIZIO I will say is they are on point with support!
post #2381 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbroome View Post
Any word when the SmartCast sound bars are supposed to be released? I'm coming to the conclusion that for me the speakers are essentially useless.
Soundbars? step up, get a receiver with Atmos, and get 24.2.10 speakers installed for a full theater at home experience! 24 surround, 2 subs and 10 overhead (in ceiling) speakers

J/K

But IMHO, soundbars and 4k don't really go together - why be an early adopter in 4k if you're only going to listen to simulated surround on a stereo speaker system.

I'm getting ready to pull up carpet and install 7.1 (I'll actually run the wires in wall for a 2nd subwoofer) in my viewing room. I can't run wires in the ceiling so I bought flat speaker wire to run under carpet. But I'm tempted to tear some stuff up and install 2-4 in-ceiling speakers and upgrade my receiver to get an Atmos capable system.

Got my UBD-K8500 last week, I just received my speakers yesterday, received all the wires last week.. over the next few weeks I'll be even hiding all of my equipment in another room too.. just the TV, in wall 7.1 speakers and a small IR receiver for my IR blaster in the other room.

Vizio P65-C1
Samsung UBD-K8500 (primary HDMI to TV, secondary audio HDMI to AVR)
XBox One
Pioneer VSX-1123 (7.1)
Def Tech RLS III LCR, DT6.5LCR, IWSub 10/10
AT&T Uverse
post #2382 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5049 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb7 View Post
Should work for me as long as it passes DD 5.1, my sources are ATV4 and XBox1, was just looking to confirm. Figured DTS was long shot but doesn't hurt to ask.

Appreciate the response.

It passes DTS from my XBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannychico View Post
Well, we might have found the first serious problem with this TV. You can't stream 4k content effectively and reliably at a connection speed of less than 20 Mbps.

Any other testers?

I have a 20mbps connection and it does just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbroome View Post
What output do you have your FIOS box set to? Mine looks better at 1080i compared to 1080p.

The picture quality via FIOS seems very variable. Even on the same network, some shows seem to look much better than others. Most of our viewing seems to be CBS. For what was watched off the DVR last night, Criminal Minds Beyond Borders looked great..to the point I thought the setting tweaks I had made worked. Then my wife put on NCIS New Orleans and it was back to looking awful. I guess it could be the production quality of the shows.

Maybe FIOS owners need to petition Matt for a FIOS specific processing setting.

Edit: Per Thomas's post below, I started with Calibrated mode and all processing set to zero. I currently have the 2 noise setting set to low, brightness down a bit, contrast up a bit. I keep playing with sharpness a bit above and below 20.

I'm excited to see how these shows look OTA via Tivo.

Check out the OTA pictures I posted last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Guy View Post
Yellow banding drives me crazy, and with DV settings jumping all over for movies or at least changing movies appearance that dramatically, I'm not excited anymore about my P75 purchase.

I understand having to calibrate and get things set but if I have to tweet for each source let alone movie, forget about it. My goal is Lord of the rings style- one input to rule them all HDMI 1 ARC via AVR. I'll lose it if I'm tweeking every movie I cast.

Debating on cancelling now...so bummed.

So you haven't even seen the Display and you're just going by some things people are seeing? You need to see for yourself. I have two settings for all my view.. one for a day/ambient and one for night when I turn out all the lights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2383 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
Hockey is a game. F1 is a sport.
pppffff F1?
How about MotoGP!!! Now THAT is a sport! And they don't stop for no rain!
post #2384 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM

I've noted how particularly cool my new P65 runs compared to my old 40" XBR2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick434 View Post
I am a new P75-C1 owner, mostly because of this forum, but I am having space heater issues. The display is heating up my room by at least 3 degrees within an hour or so. I have included a pic of the layout of my room, plus the ceilings are 9 feet high (note I have included where the display is hung and where the thermostat is located). I am enjoying the PQ, but I did not expect it to heat up a room this large. Is this expected?

I have placed an email to Vizio support and I am just anxious to know if I will be returning this unit or not.

Thank you in advance of all of your comments!

Vizio P65-C1
post #2385 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntcake72 View Post
I'm having the same issue with my Pioneer VSX-90 and spoke to VIZIO, they said a firmware update is coming today/tomorrow to address the CEC issues. One thing about VIZIO I will say is they are on point with support!
WOW! Fantastic! Thanks for the note!

- Jon
post #2386 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
You can't calibrate at all without a meter and some calibration software. DV requires CalMAN 5 Enthusiast. The TV looks good out of the box but my set needed a pretty significant change in the blue channel. The DV workflow available from SpectraCal is not out of beta yet. I believe the shipping version only does 2pt grayscale. It worked well for me.

Is there a link to the HT Geeks cast???????????

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 2 Atrium 5 Front Tops | 2 Klipsch R-14SA Rear heights | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000
post #2387 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup, clear action on off, gamma on default. I've just left everything at default except the backlight during this testing.

The result is so strange. I start at 100, the image looks blown out, except dimmer - white on the screen appears muted gray.

As I reduce the backlight, the image becomes less blown out with highlights become brighter and white turns from gray to WHITE. The overall image does not seem to get more dim, however. I've never seen this type of effect before.
We will never really find out the exact explanation of what is going on there but one thing is quite clear: You cant mess with the backlight when watching HDR content...
post #2388 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntcake72 View Post
That is great news! When this comes down the pipe I'll be testing ARC again as it will simplify using the tablet.

post #2389 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
When a DV title is "playing" you can go to Settings, Picture Modes, (Calibrated Dark) Picture Mode Edit, Reset Picture Mode. This should put it back to defaults. Everytime you start a DV title, it should play at defaults.
This doesn't work. Example, say in DV I crank the Backlight to 100, blows everything out as expected, hit picture reset and Backlight remains at 100 and it still looks blown out, remaining in a true 100 value - everything else snaps back to default, however (Sharpness goes back to 20 from me setting it at 0). I thought maybe rebooting a DV cast after a picture mode reset might set the appropriate DV default Backlight value and actual look, nope, still at 100 and blown out - and if I go to reset the picture mode it's not an option, stuck at 100 as 'default' until I change a value anywhere and then the option to reset the picture mode becomes available again. This is what I'm worried about when I say I feel I may be at a 'tinkered 50' and not a 'true DV 50' when DV content kicks in now..

Do you dumb your Sharpness down in DV content? Or would that be skewing the Gold Reference mapping too?
post #2390 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've updated the 1st page, 1st post of the thread to reflect my understanding of the interplay between DV and settings.
Ph8te and el_carro like this.

post #2391 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
Is there a link to the HT Geeks cast???????????
Here you go @Chuck666 .

https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-g...utostart=false
DreamWarrior and cloudsblade like this.
post #2392 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM

Its a process for me. I've yet to have anything besides 2 channel stereo and the 4k UHD TV is what is going to make me move up to a likely Atmos setup.

But that won't be happening quite yet; we plan to move the viewing room into a dedicated space in the yet to be finished basement sometime in the next 6-12 months and its not worth it tearing into the current room to do surround . I have my 2 channel mains on either side of the TV but they are just too far apart with a 65" screen and a center channel is needed.

So for the time being, a soundbar would be a great solution. Especially one that seems to have been designed to work perfectly with the P-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
Soundbars? step up, get a receiver with Atmos, and get 24.2.10 speakers installed for a full theater at home experience! 24 surround, 2 subs and 10 overhead (in ceiling) speakers

J/K

But IMHO, soundbars and 4k don't really go together - why be an early adopter in 4k if you're only going to listen to simulated surround on a stereo speaker system.
NavyMSU likes this.

Vizio P65-C1
post #2393 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
This doesn't work. Example, say in DV I crank the Backlight to 100, blows everything out as expected, hit picture reset and Backlight remains at 100 and it still looks blown out, remaining in a true 100 value - everything else snaps back to default, however (Sharpness goes back to 20 from me setting it at 0). I thought maybe rebooting a DV cast after a picture mode reset might set the appropriate DV default Backlight value and actual look, nope, still at 100 and blown out - and if I go to reset the picture mode it's not an option, stuck at 100 as 'default' until I change a value anywhere and then the option to reset the picture mode becomes available again. This is what I'm worried about when I say I feel I may be at a 'tinkered 50' and not a 'true DV 50' when DV content kicks in now..

Do you dumb your Sharpness down in DV content? Or would that be skewing the Gold Reference mapping too?
You can change your sharpness... 0-20 is typical for super high quality sources. I prefer less.

If you do an entire reset of the TV, you may feel more comfortable that you are back at factory defaults. I feel strongly after the last week that DV settings for backlight, brightness, contrast and color should be left unaltered.

Good info that the reset doesn't work. More indication that it should be left alone IMO.
toonj64 and Johnnyice426 like this.

post #2394 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Quote:
Yup, clear action on off, gamma on default. I've just left everything at default except the backlight during this testing.

The result is so strange. I start at 100, the image looks blown out, except dimmer - white on the screen appears muted gray.

As I reduce the backlight, the image becomes less blown out with highlights become brighter and white turns from gray to WHITE. The overall image does not seem to get more dim, however. I've never seen this type of effect before.
We will never really find out the exact explanation of what is going on there but one thing is quite clear: You cant mess with the backlight when watching HDR content...
This is not true. I put backlight on max for everything else and it looks better to my eyes in a light room than default
post #2395 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
Hi All,

Have the P75 and am seeing some strangeness with CEC with my Marantz AV7005.

So on the TV, if I set CEC to enable, I see "No Devices Found" When I put my ATV4 to sleep, the TV is supposed to turn off, but it doesn't. Same with starting the ATV4 - TV doesn't react at all.

The weird thing is that when I turn off CEC on my Vizio, my AVR turns off. Turn it back to enabled, and it turns back on! So there IS communication happening, but not when it's supposed to.

This seems like a firmware issue, as this worked fine with my last TV, a Sony KDL-60NX810.

Anyone see similar issues and find a fix?

- Thanx
- Jon

Ive never seen CEC work properly on ANYTHING, not even lying...
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #2396 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
1. This is a mystery. I think this may be an ongoing development issue. It doesn't appear the interface for USB playback is really available.
I really hope this is something they either explain how to use or outright add the functionality for soon. I have a lot of content I want to view from USB sources. I can't understand why on earth you would include a usb port on the TV and not give any way to navigate the content from it.
post #2397 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So for those that opted not to use the screws that came with their P65, what size screws are you using to mount your TV?
post #2398 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgate View Post
I really hope this is something they either explain how to use or outright add the functionality for soon. I have a lot of content I want to view from USB sources. I can't understand why on earth you would include a usb port on the TV and not give any way to navigate the content from it.
I think a lot of us are puzzled by how we're suppose to use the USB port. I'm willing to be patient. I'm hoping for a tablet interface but have heard nothing.

post #2399 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie View Post
My feelings exactly. Why would the manufacturer put screws in the holes that weren't suitable to mount the display. Come on Vizio the little things matter. I bought mine at Ace Hardware M6x16.
What's wrong with the screws that came with the TV? I used the included ones to mount my 65". Should I have not?
post #2400 of 63944 Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgate View Post
Have you thought about putting your content on a computer running the Plex Media Server and just casting the content from the tablet to the HT (Home Theater) Display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page