Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288509Likes

post #2401 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse View Post
So for those that opted not to use the screws that came with their P65, what size screws are you using to mount your TV?
The correct sizes are in the Quick Start Guide for your specific size P.
Ph8te likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggybong View Post
What's wrong with the screws that came with the TV? I used the included ones to mount my 65". Should I have not?
Wall mount? If so, I'll say I did the same for a few days but changed them out with the longer recommended size. The ones that came with the set are really too short IMO.
shoman94 and Anago like this.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #2403 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Yup, OK we're on the same page.

This is what I'm saying.

But, to go a step further, I don't think DolbyVision is dynamically adjusting anything, because it doesn't change on a per content basis, it just changes to the same settings for all dolby vision content. All I think the Dolby Vision flag does is just make it go into Dolby Vision picture mode like you said... Which is static for all dolby vision content.

And to muddy the waters further, Pacific Rim seems to show that not all content is graded for the same settings, because the backlight seems to have MASSIVELY different effects on that title vs Mad Max.

Mad Max doesn't get brighter as the backlight goes down, Pacific Rim does. Mad Max on the other get gets brighter as the backlight goes up.

So basically what it comes down to is me saying i need some help from people to help validate some of this stuff

When the TV is playing back Dolby Vision content, the backlight control doesn't behave like it does with normal SDR content. Because DV/HDR uses a process called Dual Modulation, the Dolby Vision chip has complete control over the backlight. It can make it do the full 600nits, even when the backlight is set to the default of 50.

In Dolby Vision mode the backlight controls the mid range of the luminance curve, not the overall luminance like in SDR.
VBB, SiGGy, rockaway1836 and 10 others like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had a question and/or opinion. Currently where I have my TV I really can't do much larger than the 55 In, which is the size of my current TV. I was just wondering if anyone had seen or tried the 55 In Vizio P series yet, since it's the only one with an IPS panel as opposed to a VA. Even if you haven't seen it I was just wondering what the consensus was on VA over IPS. Would I notice a huge difference in black levels having the IPS panel over the VA? Any thoughts would be great.
post #2405 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i'm thinking about upgrading my old LG 3D tv to this the 50 inch P series, but not having a TV tuner built-in is kinda turning me off .....
post #2406 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I just noticed there is firmware on the Vizio website now?

We're no longer at the mercy of the random OTA updates?

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...-HDTV-Firmware

Sorry if it's already been posted, hard to keep up with this thread!
VBB, shoman94, toonj64 and 1 others like this.
post #2407 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm a noob so this might be a dumb question. I've seen several comments about some poor image quality coming from Verizon Fios (HD channels), perhaps due to inferior image processing in <1080p source material in the Vizio as compared to some other brands. If my AVR (old Pioneer VSX-1018) has 1080p upscaling and I hook my Fios box up through that then to the monitor, will the Vizio still attempt to upscale/alter the image coming from my AVR which has already upscaled the image? I'm happy with the PQ from my Fios currently, so if I keep the set up the same with the Vizio montior than I should expect to receive the same/better PQ? Hopefully that makes sense.
post #2408 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninhalem View Post
Have you thought about putting your content on a computer running the Plex Media Server and just casting the content from the tablet to the HT (Home Theater) Display?
Ya I can do that, I just like the ability to simply plugin the content and access it without having to worry about running a separate component to accomplish the same thing. Or if I take some pictures on my camera I can just plugin the sd to usb adapter and look at them without have to download them to something else first. I know there are other ways to do what I'm asking but its just stupid to me to include a usb port and cripple it's functionality.
post #2409 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
It is hit or miss. You may actually get someone who is an enthusiast. I have a best buy right by me and it is a design studio location. Those guys know their $h!t
Agreed, the Magnolia Design Studio employees are not Best Buy employees (not directly)- they also make commission.

There is a difference between a Magnolia Design Studio (magnoliaav.com) and a Magnolia in a normal Best Buy..

First thing, the salesmen make commission at a Design Studio, One guy told me he made mid-80k the previous year and knew somebody who made upwards of 120k (as retail salesmen, that's awesome).

So while they're extremely knowledgeable, they're also motivated to selling higher end systems with more profit margin and in turn better commission... Just like cars, there is more profit to be had in the higher and more respected brands.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you hinted at being on a budget, that they would agree the '16 P series were worthy.

Better for them to make a sale of any tv than let the customer walk into the regular store and let BB keep all the profits.
Mattopotamus likes this.

Vizio P65-C1
Samsung UBD-K8500 (primary HDMI to TV, secondary audio HDMI to AVR)
XBox One
Pioneer VSX-1123 (7.1)
Def Tech RLS III LCR, DT6.5LCR, IWSub 10/10
AT&T Uverse
post #2410 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGriswold View Post
I'm a noob so this might be a dumb question. I've seen several comments about some poor image quality coming from Verizon Fios (HD channels), perhaps due to inferior image processing in <1080p source material in the Vizio as compared to some other brands. If my AVR (old Pioneer VSX-1018) has 1080p upscaling and I hook my Fios box up through that then to the monitor, will the Vizio still attempt to upscale/alter the image coming from my AVR which has already upscaled the image? I'm happy with the PQ from my Fios currently, so if I keep the set up the same with the Vizio montior than I should expect to receive the same/better PQ? Hopefully that makes sense.
The Vizio will always scale to 4k as that's it's only (and native) resolution. The least processing the better. If you can output 1080i from FIOS, that would be better and set the AVR to passthrough or pure and let the TV step on the video 1 time.

post #2411 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wow.... the times they REALLY ARE a' changin'
shoman94, player002 and toonj64 like this.

post #2412 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGriswold View Post
The pioneer would take over the processing.
post #2413 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Yup, OK we're on the same page.

This is what I'm saying.

But, to go a step further, I don't think DolbyVision is dynamically adjusting anything, because it doesn't change on a per content basis, it just changes to the same settings for all dolby vision content. All I think the Dolby Vision flag does is just make it go into Dolby Vision picture mode like you said... Which is static for all dolby vision content.

And to muddy the waters further, Pacific Rim seems to show that not all content is graded for the same settings, because the backlight seems to have MASSIVELY different effects on that title vs Mad Max.

Mad Max doesn't get brighter as the backlight goes down, Pacific Rim does. Mad Max on the other get gets brighter as the backlight goes up.

So basically what it comes down to is me saying i need some help from people to help validate some of this stuff

When the TV is playing back Dolby Vision content, the backlight control doesn't behave like it does with normal SDR content. Because DV/HDR uses a process called Dual Modulation, the Dolby Vision chip has complete control over the backlight. It can make it do the full 600nits, even when the backlight is set to the default of 50.

In Dolby Vision mode the backlight controls the mid range of the luminance curve, not the overall luminance like in SDR.
Yup. Check out my other message about the subject. I said the same thing about the mid range of luminance. However this does not work the same on pacific rim.

Quote:
I get what you're saying but the titles aren't interacting the same way.

For Mad Max and San Andreas, if you change the backlight setting, peak brightness does not change, but you affect the value of the mid tone luminance. If you raise the backlight, the mid tones increase in luminance. In other words, changing the backlight is affecting the image in the anticipated way.

With Pacific Rim on the other hand, if you increase the backlight, it does not function the same way. It seems to affect the peak brightness, but doesn't touch the mid tone luminance - This stays the same regardless of whether the backlight is at 0 or 100. It also seems to work inversely, with lower backlight actually increasing peak luminance. If you play around with it you'll see exactly what I'm talking about - It's not the anticipated way you'd expect the settings to change the image. It's entirely inconsistent with the way it affects the other two titles (and even marco polo on Netflix). This is why I'm encouraging others to try this out, because something is going screwy here.
Something is screwy with that title. Backlight setting does not change mid range luminance like with other titles - furthermore, peak luminance actually appears to INCREASE as backlight is DECREASED. I want someone to independently verify this.

Last edited by alexanderg823; 04-01-2016 at 11:22 AM.
post #2414 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3allistic View Post
i'm thinking about upgrading my old LG 3D tv to this the 50 inch P series, but not having a TV tuner built-in is kinda turning me off .....
Just get a tuner off of Amazon like the one below. Chances are, considering the state of spectrum sales in the US, that there will be no OTA channels being broadcast in the next 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Hom...ords=ota+tuner

Last edited by Ninhalem; 04-01-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #2415 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
This is the stand I have. Very stable for the P75. It came with mounting screws lock washers, flat washers and spacers to mount it. And it swivels.
Nice pics, thanks.. In all honestly, the P65 looks thinner than my 55EF9500.

Certainly the screen is super thin, as it's OLED, but all the hardware to drive the screen makes it much thicker towards the base..

Also, it's a pain to mount if you don't use their special overpriced mount - the electronics enclosure is thicker at the bottom than where the top mounting holes are, so the TV would angle UP if you were to rig it with a traditional mount.

Vizio P65-C1
Samsung UBD-K8500 (primary HDMI to TV, secondary audio HDMI to AVR)
XBox One
Pioneer VSX-1123 (7.1)
Def Tech RLS III LCR, DT6.5LCR, IWSub 10/10
AT&T Uverse
post #2416 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey all, the AC adaptor that connects my tablet stand to the outlet makes a TON of noise (high pitched squealing kindsa sounds)! MUST be defective!

I'll call Vizio and see about a replacement.

Anyone else have this issue?!

- Jon

Last edited by jbauer; 04-01-2016 at 11:08 AM.
post #2417 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgate View Post
I really hope this is something they either explain how to use or outright add the functionality for soon. I have a lot of content I want to view from USB sources. I can't understand why on earth you would include a usb port on the TV and not give any way to navigate the content from it.
The M series had an interface, a ****y one but there was one.
Seems like they totally forgot or they assumed some app on the tablet would take care of that.
post #2418 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
The M series had an interface, a ****y one but there was one.
Seems like they totally forgot or they assumed some app on the tablet would take care of that.
It would be nice to get some feedback in this.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
toonj64 likes this.

post #2419 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I guess people missed my "wait wait!. So an actual honest to god firmware update, on a Vizio TV, OVER USB!!!!!!?!?!?! " post !
shoman94 likes this.
post #2420 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

That link shows firmware 1.1.6.9. I received that the other day after a reset. On phone now with 2nd level support now working on my soundbar issue and firmware 1.1.6.12 is rolling out now. We used the tablet to request the update. He could see my tv on his end and my tv's request, but it failed. On hold for sec, and its in process of being sent to my P65.
post #2421 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
Hey all, the AC adaptor that connects my tablet stand to the outlet makes a TON of noise (high pitched squealing kindsa sounds)! MUST be defective!

- Jon
Same here. I had to unplug it. I got the display last Friday and it started to buzz a couple days ago.

LG 65C7
Denon AVR-X3300W
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts, 3090 center, 3010 surrounds
SVS PB-1000
Samsung K8500

Last edited by hockeythug; 04-01-2016 at 11:41 AM.
post #2422 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:23 AM

a quick FYI update: I'm on firmware 1.1.6.12. didn't correct my CEC handshake issues with Samsung soundbar. but, vizio rep said update corrected lots of bugs and compatibility issues.
post #2423 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsbro View Post
(snip) We used the tablet to request the update. (snip)
How did you initiate that?

- Jon
post #2424 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I think it's still going to automatically download the firmware as it states in that link. The instructions were only if it doesn't update.
post #2425 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy3501 View Post
Which one, original F&F? I can check when I get home this morning.

Nevermind, finally got the video to play on my Android phone. Oddly, I'm not spotting it in your video.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I hate to ask but would you mind checking on your TV? It's the first FF at around 8:00 and also the first race scene where Paul Walker loses. It would really help to know if it's just an anomaly with all P's or just mine. Thanks again.
post #2426 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggybong View Post
What's wrong with the screws that came with the TV? I used the included ones to mount my 65". Should I have not?
The ones that came with my display were too short. According to Vizio they need to be 16mm long.
post #2427 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
How did you initiate that?

- Jon
On tablet in smartcast get to system (in settings, under display settings). After you hit system, hit system information. hit service check, then hit yes. Turn off tv and wait about 5 minutes. That service check sent a download request. Turn tv back on and you should see it installing update.

Edit: like to add rep said all firmware updates are downloaded only while tv is off. Then, installed when turned back on.
accord 4 me likes this.
post #2428 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So for those that opted not to use the screws that came with their P65, what size screws are you using to mount your TV?
I chatted with Vizio online they recommended M6x16. Check the length of what came with yours mine were to short.
post #2429 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:

- Jon
No noise with mine.
post #2430 of 64171 Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
So I went and got a usb thumb drive to install the latest firmware since it didn't download over night. When I got home OF COURSE it showed that the patch had installed.

So now Netflix works fine. Not sure I'm getting HDR in Daredevil or not, will have to look into it, is Marco Polo the only one so far?

But I am not getting any return audio over Optical, not sure if the problem is on my set or my receiver. I am pretty sure my receiver is set right but no way to check. Anyone else having issues? My office Denon 1513 does not support ARC that I can find... I'd rather not have to replace this receiver...

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page