Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 847 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288554Likes

post #25381 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I was able to get it to work by going through every HDMI cable I had. The one I was using before worked for 3 months and then suddenly nothing. I tried a really old one I had and it suddenly started working. Thanks for your help.
So you have to get some new cables then. I feel your pain

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25382 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Just a cautionary tale regarding HDMI cables and 4K content for you guys. I've been using Vanco 9ft HDMI cables that my installer ran through the walls with the P75. I've been having "no signal" issues when changing resolutions so I decided to buy new cables. I ended up purchasing Mediabridge 4K flex cables that were 10ft. I had my installer out yesterday, we ran all the new cables and he left. Today I fired up my gaming PC (1080P/120) and it was snow city all over the screen. I restarted the PC and the same thing. I then tried a 4K blu ray and same thing. I ended up convincing my wife to help me take down the TV off the wall and I bought all new AudioQuest cables. They work perfectly.

1. HDMI cables DO matter with 4K
2. Always check your cables BEFORE you run them through the wall
3. MediaBridge Flex cables don't work with 4K even though they are advertised as such
Great advice. I can't tell you the number of times we have chased issues in testing and then swapped a cable making it disappear. The HDMI cable's capabilities are being stretched to the absolute limits with the amount of data being transmitted now... UHD, HDR, ARC, higher refresh, higher bit depths, higher chroma, etc.

And checking before you run them through a way or wall mount a display will save a lot of time. Also look for cables that have very robust connector heads and stress relief. Often these cable are making tight turns or right angles right out of the port in a wall mount situation - some have problems with this...
Brandon B, htwaits, Ph8te and 5 others like this.
post #25383 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quick note to the group:

1. I continue to grab serial numbers from the posts and PM... loading them into the system for priority but by middle of this coming week it won't be necessary since the update will be wide open.

2. We are aware of the Nvidia shield issue... working with them. Short term and longer term solutions are being worked on by both parties.

3. Fix is in test for malformed HDR titles such as Ghostbusters and Life of Pi. Stay tuned.

4. Aware of issue with Netflix on Xbox One S which is forcing a very specific HDR format that we don't support. Working on this now. Also testing Xbox One S more and seeing odd behavior on when it is sending HDR and when it doesn't across menus vs content.

5. Aware of ARC issues... some of what is being described is actually corrected behavior from previous builds but we are also finding a couple of bugs which we are working on now.

6. Found some PQ issues in certain HDR scenarios (too dark etc) and a new PQ tuning is being done for next build.

7. Looking to add HDR10 capability to HDMI 1.4 data rates so you would not have to turn on HDMI subsampling to get HDR10 at lower refresh rates. We auto detect the metadata.

8. We are improving HDR10 lock when RWD/FWD.

9. A new improved out of box experience (OOBE) is being finalized for a simpler setup.

Will keep you up to date as we work on finishing the next build. Have a great weekend.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25384 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Quick note to the group:
Thanks for this update Matt!

The P50 is my first Vizio (usually a Sony or Samsung guy), but the picture quality for the price and your input in this forum confirms I made the right move trying out a Vizio. Nice work!
Ronman79 likes this.
post #25385 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Quick note to the group:

1. I continue to grab serial numbers from the posts and PM... loading them into the system for priority but by middle of this coming week it won't be necessary since the update will be wide open.

2. We are aware of the Nvidia shield issue... working with them. Short term and longer term solutions are being worked on by both parties.

3. Fix is in test for malformed HDR titles such as Ghostbusters and Life of Pi. Stay tuned.

4. Aware of issue with Netflix on Xbox One S which is forcing a very specific HDR format that we don't support. Working on this now. Also testing Xbox One S more and seeing odd behavior on when it is sending HDR and when it doesn't across menus vs content.

5. Aware of ARC issues... some of what is being described is actually corrected behavior from previous builds but we are also finding a couple of bugs which we are working on now.

6. Found some PQ issues in certain HDR scenarios (too dark etc) and a new PQ tuning is being done for next build.

7. Looking to add HDR10 capability to HDMI 1.4 data rates so you would not have to turn on HDMI subsampling to get HDR10 at lower refresh rates. We auto detect the metadata.

8. We are improving HDR10 lock when RWD/FWD.

9. A new improved out of box experience (OOBE) is being finalized for a simpler setup.

Will keep you up to date as we work on finishing the next build. Have a great weekend.

Matt
#7 Does this mean HDMI 5 would be computable with hdr10?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #25386 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don't know if anyone has tested the Xbox One S much with this - but now after testing, even though MS said the Netflix app has been updated to support 4K/HDR, it will not display on the P-series through the Xbox One. The Vizio tech I chatted with online gave the excuse that it won't work with streaming on the Xbox One S, only with disks. Anyone know why this is? I know, I know, I can just stream from the tablet, but I'm just wondering why it won't work right. I haven't tested the Amazon app yet but I haven't seen any news of an update for that one.
post #25387 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am considering buying the P65-c1 but I am just curious where to buy the P65-c1?

I can't find it anywhere.

Bestbuy says sold out on their website and it is not even available to order.

I called and the local store said they can't determine when they will get more.
post #25388 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Figuring out how to get "HDR: Yes" on my iOS Smartcast app is driving me crazy. How much should I be trusting what the app says? Here is what the iOS Smartcast app shows for the following:
  1. Casted to TV: Vudu 4K movies Lego Movie and Edge of Tomorrow (TV UI specifically confirms UHD): 1080p with "HDR: Yes"
  2. Casted to TV: Netflix Daredevil Season 2: 4K with "HDR: No"
  3. Samsung 4K Blu-Ray player -> Denon AVR-X4200W -> TV: 4K with "HDR: No" (tested Amazon app with Man in the High Castle, Netflix app with Daredevil Season 2, and 4K Blu Ray Total Recall)

The Samsung player has been a bit inconsistent in getting 4K in the first place (e.g. Amazon app says "Man in the High Castle" was 1080p instead of 4K) but the player always upscales to it's hard to tell the real resolution it's giving.

HDMI Subsampling is set on the TV to on for all inputs (although the app wouldn't let me turn it off anyway). Not sure if there are any other things I need to set though...
post #25389 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobinson1216 View Post
Don't know if anyone has tested the Xbox One S much with this - but now after testing, even though MS said the Netflix app has been updated to support 4K/HDR, it will not display on the P-series through the Xbox One. The Vizio tech I chatted with online gave the excuse that it won't work with streaming on the Xbox One S, only with disks. Anyone know why this is? I know, I know, I can just stream from the tablet, but I'm just wondering why it won't work right. I haven't tested the Amazon app yet but I haven't seen any news of an update for that one.
Maybe #4 below? Also there are certain settings you need to enable for it to work, color subsampling i believe. also make sure you HDMI cable supports 4k HDR/18gbps. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Matt
post #25390 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanerges03 View Post
I am considering buying the P65-c1 but I am just curious where to buy the P65-c1?

I noticed that too. I have not gone to the store to order, but I suspect they fullfill orders from the warehouse as they are placed instead of stocking the store. Not sure though. The availability online seems to be a rolling 10-11 days, currently at 8/17 as of today.
post #25391 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:

The supply to demand ratio just isn't there.

Same thing with Costco.ca. It went up June 28 and sold out in a couple hours. Then went up again last Wednesday and sold out in a couple hours again.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #25392 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I was able to get it to work by going through every HDMI cable I had. The one I was using before worked for 3 months and then suddenly nothing. I tried a really old one I had and it suddenly started working. Thanks for your help.
You may have a flaky port/cable connection.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #25393 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Yea but if you stream from tablet you won't get hdr 10.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #25394 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
I noticed that too. I have not gone to the store to order, but I suspect they fullfill orders from the warehouse as they are placed instead of stocking the store. Not sure though. The availability online seems to be a rolling 10-11 days, currently at 8/17 as of today.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. I tried to order on web. It does say 8/17, but try to put in your cart. It will not accept it.
Bestbuy online is not accepting orders.
post #25395 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Look at item four in the post from Matt just above your post.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #25396 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Guys,

I have a Vizio P75-C1 and wanted to know the TV software version I should be running if I have received the HDR10 update ?

I just powered up my tablet and its immediately downloading an update on the tablet (for what I do not know)

I just got back home from a trip and wanted to see if I received the famous HDR10 update. I just now turned on color subsampling for every HDMI input I have. I did a thread search and read page 1 of the thread and there does not appear to list a version number that I assume will display on my tablet when I am in Vizio Smartcast mode to confirm I am HDR10 ready.

Is there a checklist of tasks I can perform to verify HDR10 is onboard and operating? (Other than going to store and buying new Samsung 8500 4k player and a movie).

Thanks and I am sorry if I am asking a question thats already been asked. I did search for the answers to no avail and read page 1 of the thread.

Sincerely,

Jay Holloway

P75 C1 Panel
Pioneer SC95 4k Receiver
Sherbourn 7 channel Amp
NHT towers
Monoprice ceiling surrounds back and sides
Epik Legend Subwoofer 1
Velodyne Subwoofer 2
No Dolby Atmos speakers yet (soon)
Dish 4k
Roku 4k
No 4k bluray player yet
Logitech Harmony soon to be elite
Monoprice 4k HDMI high speed cables
post #25397 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:

Direct from Vizio is the only alternative in the US for a P65 at the moment. In Canada there is Costco too. Where are you?
Ph8te likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #25398 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeholloway View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a Vizio P75-C1 and wanted to know the TV software version I should be running if I have received the HDR10 update ?

I just powered up my tablet and its immediately downloading an update on the tablet (for what I do not know)

I just got back home from a trip and wanted to see if I received the famous HDR10 update. I just now turned on color subsampling for every HDMI input I have. I did a thread search and read page 1 of the thread and there does not appear to list a version number that I assume will display on my tablet when I am in Vizio Smartcast mode to confirm I am HDR10 ready.

Is there a checklist of tasks I can perform to verify HDR10 is onboard and operating? (Other than going to store and buying new Samsung 8500 4k player and a movie).

Thanks and I am sorry if I am asking a question thats already been asked. I did search for the answers to no avail and read page 1 of the thread.

Sincerely,

Jay Holloway

Click here for Vizio's firmware support page where there are also instructions for downloading and installing new firmware. The current version is prominent.

I missed it when I checked post one too.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 08-06-2016 at 07:54 PM.
post #25399 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys I have two questions. First one is that my first vizio kept freezing up even when trying to switch inputs and so I got sent a new one which seems to be working fine now but they had me keep the old tablet, that shouldn't mess up getting the new firmware right? Second question is that I was about to get the Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice UHD but when I was about to purchase it, it said my device only supports HDX so does the tablet not support UHD streaming until I get the firmware update? Thanks!
post #25400 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6430
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Sincerely,

Jay Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Click here for Vizio's firmware support page where there are also instructions for downloading and installing new firmware. The current version is prominent.

Maybe @thomasfxlt can add this link to the top area of post number one.

Page one post one has the link to download the firmware AND the firmware version. It's flair to the top after the review links.
Also, without an external device that sends HDR10, there is no way to test it at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggets View Post
Hey guys I have two questions. First one is that my first vizio kept freezing up even when trying to switch inputs and so I got sent a new one which seems to be working fine now but they had me keep the old tablet, that shouldn't mess up getting the new firmware right? Second question is that I was about to get the Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice UHD but when I was about to purchase it, it said my device only supports HDX so does the tablet not support UHD streaming until I get the firmware update? Thanks!
1) no the TVs firmware is updated separately.
2) UHD for Vudu is based on internet speed. You may want to run the internet speed test in the Vudu app to see what it says the max sustainable connection between you and Vudu is.

Sent from nowhere
htwaits likes this.
post #25401 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
It's saying your device (tablet) doesn't support UHD, which it doesn't. At that point the VUDU app has no idea that you intend to cast to a 4k Display.
Furyus likes this.
post #25402 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Sincerely,

Jay Holloway

P75 C1 Panel

Pioneer SC95 4k Receiver

Sherbourn 7 channel Amp

NHT towers

Monoprice ceiling surrounds back and sides

Epik Legend Subwoofer 1

Velodyne Subwoofer 2

No Dolby Atmos speakers yet (soon)

Dish 4k

Roku 4k

No 4k bluray player yet

Logitech Harmony soon to be elite

Monoprice 4k HDMI high speed cables

It's listed on page 1 with the instructions for downloading the update.

htwaits and Ph8te like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #25403 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
It's listed on page 1 with the instructions for downloading the update.

You sir, have the patience of a saint. Wish there was a way to have a pop-up that says "Have you read post 1?" before submitting a comment.
htwaits, THX1720 and adpayne like this.
post #25404 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
It's saying your device (tablet) doesn't support UHD, which it doesn't. At that point the VUDU app has no idea that you intend to cast to a 4k Display.
Okay so when casting it though, it will allow me to cast in 4k?
post #25405 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Great advice. I can't tell you the number of times we have chased issues in testing and then swapped a cable making it disappear. The HDMI cable's capabilities are being stretched to the absolute limits with the amount of data being transmitted now... UHD, HDR, ARC, higher refresh, higher bit depths, higher chroma, etc.

And checking before you run them through a way or wall mount a display will save a lot of time. Also look for cables that have very robust connector heads and stress relief. Often these cable are making tight turns or right angles right out of the port in a wall mount situation - some have problems with this...
Can you comment on the 4:4:4 confusion? I sent a PM, but your inbox is probably cluttered with serial numbers.
hannibl likes this.
post #25406 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
Yes, as long as you have the required speed, mine's on wifi from a crappy router from across the house so it usually starts in 1080p for about thirty seconds until it ramps up to 4k. You can check the resolution and HDR status in real time by checking "display information" on the Vizio app.
post #25407 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Direct from Vizio is the only alternative in the US for a P65 at the moment. In Canada there is Costco too. Where are you?
DC burbs, I won't order a TV online as I have had numerous bad results in the past. I wanted to get locally such as Costco or BestBuy.

My local drivers just literally throw packages off the truck so I order nothing online for delivery home.
post #25408 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
I find that once you open the app, immediately connect to the Vizio with the cast button, and then select your programming, things work out on their own. VUDU is different in that you have to choose UHD before you start playback. Amazon, you need to browse to the UHD section. Netflix will auto detect & if you're casting, default to DV.
post #25409 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
I bought all new Amazon cables too, and reran through my wall before I got my P75. No issues so far.
I did run 2 cables from the Samsung UHD player, because I knew my receiver was too old to pass HDR. (I ran a spare cable just in case as well.) At least by testing directly from the device to the display, you can rule out things.
Which cables from Amazon have you found to work? I'm in the market for new 10 foot HDMI cables but I want to be certain they work with UHD, HDR and ARC. I'd prefer not to have to spend more that $25 per cable if possible. Anyone have any recommendations?

I currently have a Pioneer SC-95. For any member with the SC-95, have the Vizio firmware updates fixed the issues with the SC-95 and ARC? I would like to be able to utilize my atoms setup as much as possible.
post #25410 of 64299 Old 08-06-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
What is the distance between the outside edges of the two stand feet of the P65? Will need a console table that is wide enough to hold the TV.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page