Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 851 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288551Likes

post #25501 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I spent a lot of time over the past few days playing with the Xbox One S, a new Denon AVR-X7200WA and my 65" P-Series.

With the HDR update for the P-Series and my preordered Xbox One S arriving, I figured it was time to update my Marantz SR-7009. I likely would have gone with the new SR-7011 but it's not out yet so I got the Denon X7200WA instead.

Having read the thread I was aware of some of the early issues. I was proactive and ordered some new cables from Monoprice, but they didn't arrive until after I already had the Xbox One S and the Denon, so my initial set up was with my existing cables. I quickly discovered that some of my older cables were a problem and not allowing HDR connectivity. The Monoprice cables ended up coming a few days later and I got them switched in. It led to a little head scratching when things were not working right. Turned out on of the new Monoprice cables was bad.

There are a few things to set up, but I thought I'd recap here to help others.

On the Denon X7200WA I turned on HDMI Control but turned off TV Audio Switching, since that was causing some issues with inputs changing.

On the P-Series, make sure you turn on "HDMI Color Subsampling" on the input you plan to use. It can me found in the SmartCast app by going to "Settings-->Inputs-->HDMI Color Subsampling"

On the Xbox One S, you need to go into the Settings and the set the Video options. Select 4k Ultra and then it should show you if 4k and HDR are working. If they are grayed out, then something in your chain is not working.

As noted, there do seem to be some issues with the hand-shaking between all the devices. If you are having issues, take the AVR out of the chain and connect the Xbox One S directly to the P-series and get that working. Once configured, then you can bring the AVR into the chain.

I've also found there are some issues with hand-shaking and changing resolutions. Turning all the devices off and starting over tends to fix things.

I watching Kingsman on UHD in HDR last night and it worked great. I used the default "Calibrated Dark" setting. I wouldn't say this is a showcase for HDR but everything looked very good and some of the scenes had some real pop. I especially liked the aerial views over the snow covered mountains. I have a 5.2 audio setup and the Bitstream DTS audio sounded very good. I plan on adding two ATMOS speakers but the Xbox One S does not currently support these so hoping Microsoft releases an update; otherwise I may go for the Oppo UHD once released.

I popped in Star Trek and the beginning scene looked stunning. Probably some of the best content I've seen on the P-series. I look forward to watching this and Into Darkness shortly. Finally I popped in Now You See Me and interestingly the disk would not load. I did a quick Google search and didn't see others reporting this as an issue with the Xbox One S, so perhaps I just have a bad disk. I will exchange at Best Buy and see if the replacement if better.

Ultimately I'm please with things and happy to get all the new components working together. The HDMI cable issue is going to generate a lot of support calls, especially for those who don't frequent the forums. Some future firmware updates will likely smooth out some of the hand shaking issues and I'm hopeful Microsoft hears the cries from the audiophile community and adds ATMOS support to the Xbox One S.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25502 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a 65" P-Series Vizio (2016 model.) I've done lots of research about the tablet remote and the included "simplified" XRT132 remote. I do note however that the XRT132 remote doesn't have transport buttons (fast forward, rewind) on it:

And I'm wondering now, since I plan to use a Harmony Elite Universal remote control, will I be able to map transport buttons and use them on streaming content? Or will I have to use the tablet remote for that? (I understand I'll need to initiate the stream via the tablet, or some other Google casting method. I'm just talking about fast forwarding and rewinding, once the stream starts playing.)

Thanks for any replies and information!
pause/play only
post #25503 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well, wow, that's a supreme bummer. Might even be a deal-breaker for me. I really don't like relying on a touchscreen remote for such basic control. I find it very distracting.

Last edited by Fofer; 08-07-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25504 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Well, wow, that's a supreme bummer. Might even be a deal-breaker for me. I really don't like relying on a touchscreen remote for such basic control and find it very distracting.
Then plug in your favorite streaming device and use that - Roku and nVidia do 4k so that would work. Or just use something like AppleTV, or your BluRay player.

IMHO Googlecast is junk and a blur on an awesome lineup of TVs.
post #25505 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a 65" P-Series Vizio (2016 model.) I've done lots of research about the tablet remote and the included "simplified" XRT132 remote. I do note however that the XRT132 remote doesn't have transport buttons (fast forward, rewind) on it:

And I'm wondering now, since I plan to use a Harmony Elite Universal remote control, will I be able to map transport buttons and use them on streaming content? Or will I have to use the tablet remote for that? (I understand I'll need to initiate the stream via the tablet, or some other Google casting method. I'm just talking about fast forwarding and rewinding, once the stream starts playing.)

Thanks for any replies and information!
There are people using Harmoney remotes. Search the thread. Use search this thread at top of first post on the page.

LG 65 B6P
Vizio 2014 P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500, Apple 4K TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV THX
Atlantic technology speakers 5.1 THX
post #25506 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeholloway View Post
Hi HT,

Thanks for the response. I just lose Home theatre Audio on casting now after HDR10 update. I had Home theatre audio from screen casting before the update. I also have full home theatre audio on Roku 4, Apple TV, Dish 4k, and Blu-ray movies. So the only thing that is weird is how I only have TV speaker audio when screen casting from tablet.

I have all the latest, newest and proper cables etc. Not a single thing has changed in my fully working system except the update from Vizio to get HDR10 compliance.

Jay
Thanks for the reply. I'm not an owner, but an owner should be able to help you with why the option to use Home Theater Option is missing.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #25507 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by iki4life View Post
Does anyone know how to get USB to work?

On my previous vizio, when I plugged in USB, the menu would show up which had options for which movie to play via USB, and I was ablate pause, play, forward, and rewind. On my new set, I can't do this.
USB in the 2016 M or P Series models has been reduced to use for manual updating of firmware. It can play a very restricted list of file types but there are no controls to select which file to play. It's first come, first played.

Casting is the new USB connected memory or hard drive. It's intentional like getting rid of floppy drives on a PC or Apple.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #25508 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
USB in the 2016 M or P Series models has been reduced to use for manual updating of firmware. It can play a very restricted list of file types but there are no controls to select which file to play. It's first come, first played.

Casting is the new USB connected memory or hard drive. It's intentional like getting rid of floppy drives on a PC or Apple.

Getting rid of disk drives*

Oh the outrage when the first MacBook Air came out.
htwaits likes this.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #25509 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Input lag is reduced by reducing video processing as much as possible.
Ahhh I see, thanks man. I was worried ports could potentially have technical impacts.
htwaits likes this.
post #25510 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

After the 2.0.13.13 update my Denon AVR-s910w receiver switches to the ARC audio channel (TV Audio) each time the TV is powered on.

I have a watch directv command on my Harmony 650. It will initially select the directv input but then when the TV powers on it will switch to the ARC audio channel (TV Audio).

It worked great before the latest update.

I have CEC set to audio only.

How can I correct this issue? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trifest and MichiganTim like this.

Last edited by ngs428; 08-07-2016 at 02:56 PM.
post #25511 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngs428 View Post
After the 2.13.13 update my Denon AVR-s910w receiver switches to the ARC audio channel (TV Audio) each time the TV is powered on.

I have a watch directv command on my Harmony 650. It will initially select the directv input but then when the TV powers on it will switch to the ARC audio channel (TV Audio).

Change this on your Denon:

setup--video---HDMI--TV audio switching: OFF
ngs428 likes this.

LG 65E6 | Denon x3200 | Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RS-62II - R-115SW
post #25512 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6618 Post(s)
Liked: 6425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngs428 View Post
After the 2.13.13 update my Denon AVR-s910w receiver switches to the ARC audio channel (TV Audio) each time the TV is powered on.

Vizio actually corrected things and they are working as they should now (switching to "TV input on AVR). You want to make sure that ARC on your receiver is set to "audio only" (control/power is off). It's different naming for each brand so you may want to get into the menu of it or manual. There have been a "few" Denon owners posting tips so you may also want to do a quick search.

Sent from nowhere
ngs428 likes this.
post #25513 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Well, wow, that's a supreme bummer. Might even be a deal-breaker for me. I really don't like relying on a touchscreen remote for such basic control. I find it very distracting.
I don't either but that's why I have a nvidia shield. Good luck finding a TV that looks this good for that cheap that has a built it app os that will never be updated a 2 years from now. If you think about it why pay the extra money for a tv tuner you will never use, the self made app o/s that don't get updated to often. With this tv you get HDR10 + Dolby Vision, built in googlecast that wont be going obsolete for quite some time and instead of working on fixing bugs of the UI and releasing app updates they can focus on the actual firmware of the TV and adding more feature that way. I had the Sony X930D that I took back to get this + a nvidia shield and saved over $700 plus that tv's android doesn't have marshmallow yet and nugget is about to come out. Not to mention the picture on the vizio blew it away. Bestbuy guy told me i would regret the exchange HAHA never looked back and am quite happy with my decision.

The Vizio is future proof at this point in time. 4K, Dolby Vision, HDR10 it will play whatever you throw at it for a very reasonable price.
Bootnylee likes this.
post #25514 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Ok I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I just noticed that when I turn my Xbox One S off, it turns the TV off, regardless if it's on that input or not. The TV will come back on when I turn it on manually, or when I turn the Xbox back on. Is this normal? And if so, how do I change it?
EDIT: I think I found it. Weird that that would be the default setting...

Last edited by lordj; 08-07-2016 at 02:51 PM.
post #25515 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
Change this on your Denon:

setup--video---HDMI--TV audio switching: OFF

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick reply. Worked!

post #25516 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Vizio actually corrected things and they are working as they should now (switching to "TV input on AVR). You want to make sure that ARC on your receiver is set to "audio only" (control/power is off). It's different naming for each brand so you may want to get into the menu of it or manual. There have been a "few" Denon owners posting tips so you may also want to do a quick search.

Sent from nowhere

Thanks! It was a receiver setting!

post #25517 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofbugs View Post
It's not the restocking fee but the fact that I have a 65" and it doesn't fit in my hatchback. I have to borrow a truck/van from a friend to move it. I can't believe there is no one on here that has the P series and a PC that can output the color/res/hz to test. I love my KS8000 so far but if the Vizio is better and does 4:4:4 I'd rather have that.
I have a P75, but my PC is hooked up to 3 x 4K monitors, and my PC isn't the easiest thing to move around. It has wheels and 2 custom waterloops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post
I will do that when I get off work. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+
post #25518 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
Will do. I'm all for working solutions at the lowest prices.

I have a few high end cables and have met and like a few of those manufacturers on a personal level, but not enough to pay 3-4x the price or more for them
Confirmed: The Zeskit HDMI 2.0 certified cables have eliminated my stuttering issues. Still reasonably priced compared to the Amazon "High speed" ones I have counted on for a while.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Brandon B, DaverJ, naustin and 1 others like this.

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
post #25519 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I said the quality was better not that it wasn't buggy

Mine has been going to 1080p <1min and only having brief (20-30sec) once in a while where it drops down to 480p. The bigger problem is that it has frozen a number of times. Still better than watching broadcast. Watching ARG vs ALG in M soccer right now in Spanish via the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
have you been able to get hd to hold using the app? when i cast iwth it it takes about 2 min to go from sd to hd and then goes back to sd after 10 seconds or so. cant get it to stabalize in hd.

Vizio P65-C1
post #25520 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:26 PM

Deadpool in HDR10 via the Samsung player with bear's settings was fantastic last night. This display continues to amaze me.
Bootnylee likes this.

Vizio P65-C1
post #25521 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:28 PM

I'm in the NoVA 'burbs and the Best Buy contracted delivery guys were very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boanerges03 View Post
DC burbs, I won't order a TV online as I have had numerous bad results in the past. I wanted to get locally such as Costco or BestBuy.

My local drivers just literally throw packages off the truck so I order nothing online for delivery home.

Vizio P65-C1
post #25522 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Confirmed: The Zeskit HDMI 2.0 certified cables have eliminated my stuttering issues. Still reasonably priced compared to the Amazon "High speed" ones I have counted on for a while.
Your only symptom of bad cables was some stutter/judder that got better changing cables? Can you be more specific?

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #25523 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Are you watching NBC on a 1080i HD station? I think NBC is doing something with the signal compression that is not working well with the Vizio motion processing logic. I was watching tennis (the V. Williams match) yesterday and I was seeing what you describe via FIOS. In these cases, you can turn on Game Low Latency (GLL) which disables the motion processing. The motion won't be smoothed, but these weird picture elements will be eliminated.

I've moved to casting via the NBC Sports app in 1080p which looks better and has no weird motion artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse82 View Post
So is no one else getting weird framerate/slowdowns from time to time?

It was really evident watching Olympics tennis last night; when the server was bouncing the ball before making the serve I could really see the ball moving in almost slow motion (like I could see a trail), it would then snap back to regular framerate after a second.

Seems to happen randomly and most often when camera shifts from another angle.

I'm using a 4K Cable STB from my provider. Outputs at 2160p/60Hz
Paulf1 likes this.

Vizio P65-C1
post #25524 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I am also using the Zeskit cables and am very satisfied; no handshaking or stuttering issues whatsoever. Excellent build quality at an extremely reasonable price.
DaverJ likes this.
post #25525 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbroome View Post
Are you watching NBC on a 1080i HD station? I think NBC is doing something with the signal compression that is not working well with the Vizio motion processing logic. I was watching tennis (the V. Williams match) yesterday and I was seeing what you describe via FIOS. In these cases, you can turn on Game Low Latency (GLL) which disables the motion processing. The motion won't be smoothed, but these weird picture elements will be eliminated.

I've moved to casting via the NBC Sports app in 1080p which looks better and has no weird motion artifacts.
Seems NBC is streaming in 4 mb/s. Anyone know what that translates to resolution wise

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Flickr
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #25526 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I have a P75, but my PC is hooked up to 3 x 4K monitors, and my PC isn't the easiest thing to move around. It has wheels and 2 custom waterloops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

@60Hz I can only get 4:2:0, at 30Hz can set 4:2:2: and 4:4:4 and RGB on all HDMI ports

I have a GTX 1080

I am able to set resolution to [email protected]:2:2 -sorry typo

BTW i have the P55-c1
post #25527 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, don't get too excited. Extended viewing on the X1S showed stuttering where the 8500 didnt. Will open up the replacement X1S Amazon sent with crossed fingers.

Sam Posten
post #25528 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
Your only symptom of bad cables was some stutter/judder that got better changing cables? Can you be more specific?
Click on my name to see the whole history. Not bad cables, brand new high speed (but not 2.0 certified) Amazon cables. Replaced with Zeskit 2.0 cables. UHD HDR playback goes sub 10fps playback. I can actually see single frames of the films I am watching. Improved but not eliminated with the new 2.0 certified cables. Very frustrating.

Sam Posten
post #25529 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
At this point, I REALLY regret buying this TV. HDR10 is pretty much broken for my on my Xbox One S. The only time I've been able to watch an HDR Blue Ray (Batman vs. Superman, specifically), is by random luck. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and keep alternating inputs until I find one that catches the signal. Non-HDR 4k Blu Ray signals are fine, it's just that HDR kills the thing, seemingly. Is anyone else getting a black screen with audio only when playing HDR blu ray, or is it just me?
post #25530 of 64273 Old 08-07-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well ****, this is what Pride and Prejudice and Zombies looks like with the new cables from X1S to Denon 2200 to Vizio P50:

Sam Posten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page