Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 951 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288702Likes

post #28501 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
I am in a dark room so I can't have it too high. I have it at 25 I believe. I'll give it a try tonight at higher setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
OT.. But how long did the bias light take to ship and did you get hit with duties or brokerage fees?

It was over Labour Day weekend so it was 7 days total. Delivered USPS/Canada Post no brokerage or duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28502 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post
Same thing happened to me when Best Buy delivered my P. The delivery guys, who sounded like they were of Russian descent and spoke broken English, opened the box for me and the foam covering around the screen was torn. He said, "we open every box - see - we check TV - no break." They were exceedingly polite, but I was concerned that the panel may have been a return. Lucky for me, I have had no issues or problems with the panel worth reporting.

Jeff.
Stopped by the local store and asked, indeed they do check before delivering (which is good). Vizio's boxes make it super easy to do so. Must've been the same Russian/Georgian delivery guys who delivered mine — they might have said they checked but I easily could've missed it with the kids running around/yelling (new tv! new tv!).

So far, the P55 is simply outstanding. Upscaling 1080 from FiOS is extremely good; SD is tolerable, but who cares; 480 from DVD's is very good (composite input, at that). Rtings might complain about it, but I just don't see their criticism in real use.

So glad they offered an IPS, works great for our room seating. There is only a small amount of bloom in the letterbox area when a bright object is near the edge in a basically dark scene, but it's not terribly noticeable unless you're looking at/for it. Doesn't bother me a bit, and I'm coming from a 10-year old trinitron tube HD set with perfect blacks, no bloom, high contrast/color, and zero motion sickness/soap opera issues (but hobbled with old-school NTSC overscan cropping).

Vizio's new SB3830-D0 soundbar on the other hand, needs a lot more work when it comes to the ARC connection, even with the latest firmware update. Screws up far too many times; picture starts gribbling/degrading until it just freezes. When changing between SD and HD channels (FiOS box) or cable to another input, it will lose the input entirely (no signal). Had to unplug it and use the optical port. Never-the-less, my Harmony One controls the SB, no idea how — I only have the P55 in the activity chain, there's no profile from Logitech for the new SB's yet. [UPDATE — Searched for "SB38" in their device list and found the SB3831-D0, this may do the trick.] Really love that Harmony, I (and my wife especially) would go nuts having to use that stupid Android tablet for everything (or iPhone app, which works better than the tablet anyway).

Ok, a lot more than I planned on saying! Great forum, appreciate all the help found here.
DaverJ and Alembicjeff like this.

Last edited by bluebox; 09-08-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: update harmony SB info
post #28503 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
This "yellow blob" issue is disappointing. I have a Panasonic VT60 and am deciding between the P65 and Samsung KS8000, have been leaning towards the Vizio because it will offer both Dolby Vision and HDR10, but this issue is making me seriously rethink that. It reminds me of an issue Panasonic had with the VT30.

So is the consensus that all P65 panels will have this issue?
no. i have a "perfect" p65. just a little bit of banding. but i did a couple exchanges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28504 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
FINALLY a P50 arrived unbroken!!! Delivered by NOT UPS. Coincidence? Who knows.

After it went through about an 1.5 hours of updates it's looking promising in early usage. It's grey uniformity though not flawless (FALD sets rarely will be) is pretty decent. Nothing very noticible on actual content and I even tried casting some hockey for a true torture test. White ice side scrolling will show this pretty fast.

Going to try it out over the weekend before deciding if it's a keeper. But initial impression is good. Epically better than they last 3 DOAs
DaverJ and shoman94 like this.
post #28505 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
That's partially true.
But not fully.
Oh FFS enough already. I'm sure you know more than the CTO.
shoman94 likes this.
post #28506 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
They are noticeable in a lot of content. Madden the sides of the field are lighter, the Revenant it shows up in all the snow scenes, baseball very noticeable on the dirt infield.
Yeah, I didn't notice your issue on Madden or The Rev.
post #28507 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This might be a stupid question but if you have a hard drive or USB flash drive connected to the Vizio P how do you pull it up on screen? I plugged one in and it autoplayed but I couldn't figure out how to see the rest of the content I have stored on it. I tried google but all I got were instructions on how to change 4k files into files that the Vizio will read.
post #28508 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo8899 View Post
Hey,
so I am wired in now. I'll have to wait and see if any issues pop up with Netflix and Vudu but the same problem does occur with Youtube. That same video I used as an example, "Into the Cave of Wonders 4k HDR" glitches around the 4:10 - 5:10 mark.

I checked with a friend who has the 55" model and he had the same issue. However, when watching on our PC monitors there are no issues. I also watched the same video through Vimeo and I never had any problems, which I find interesting. What could be causing this?
It is a glitch in the video @ 4:12 that lasts about a second on my P65 and I'm running 25 Mbps over WiFi so about 16 Mbps at the P65. I didn't think YouTube did HDR just 4K. My tablet Vizio info says its 4K but not HDR. Were your PCs doing the video in 4K? I'd say a bad video not a bad set.
post #28509 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6993 Post(s)
Liked: 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTVS View Post
This might be a stupid question but if you have a hard drive or USB flash drive connected to the Vizio P how do you pull it up on screen? I plugged one in and it autoplayed but I couldn't figure out how to see the rest of the content I have stored on it. I tried google but all I got were instructions on how to change 4k files into files that the Vizio will read.

You can't, its auto play only. If you want a media player interface then you will need to get a media player or other device that will send the correct info to the TV.

Sent from nowhere
shoman94 and reallynotnick like this.
post #28510 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Unless there is a setting issue we are all having,
I tend to agree it's likely in most of the P series sets, the P65 anyhow.

Just play the video on your set linked above.
Compare it to another set or your PC monitor or
phone for that matter, and you'll notice the difference.

Curious if other P series owners see it in the link.

Whoa!
I see it on my P50-C1!

Good grief!

It's a highly directional hot-spot. It shows best in that crackly ground scene! Severe washout outside a 2-degree viewing cone! Line-of-sight must be dead-center of the panel at about 25 yards back.

Even so, there's still a 'wash-out' look on the sides.

I moved my head to the left, then to the right, up then down. The 'hot-spot' follows along.

Just slightly viewing at a down angle is really bad.
I hope none of you are looking at you displays upward, downward, leftward, or rightward!

Thankfully, it's not noticed much during regular viewing - but it's 'always' there to haunt you.

My seating has my eyes lined-up centered to the screen. Hmm. Maybe a P55 next time?
Lemme see... Hot-Spot VA vs Bleed/Bloom IPS?

Oh, that video looked fine on my PC's monitor (ASUS).

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #28511 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigxboss View Post

When you edit the TV settings, it doesn't effect the gray letterbox bars
in YouTube, it only Adjusts the image rendered in the video.

Perhaps you missed my other request (See Message Post 28,376 Here): Post a working YouTube link that you see these 'Gray' bars.

(Not the 'Super Bowl 50...' link in the other post... that one does not work for me.)

Also, post your Picture settings, please.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 09-08-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added Link.
post #28512 of 64686 Old 09-08-2016, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

The Proper Setting For Sharpness is Always 0.

Such a beautiful quote deserves to be framed:

DRACONIANDRAGON likes this.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 09-08-2016 at 11:03 PM.
post #28513 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Geeshhh we have one, count it one report of HDR input lag. Continuing to use it as a definitive thing is really a disservice to others and yourself. There are no HDR games yet and there haven't been an repeatable definitive tests done. IMO people just need to calm down a little bit and wait a bit.

Sent from nowhere
Sony is giving a firmware update that allows all PS4s to do HDR despite it not being HDMI 2.0. I wonder how this is being achieved? Kind of gives me hope that HDR on HDMI 5 might be possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400,Optoma 27HDR, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 77C9, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
LG 55CX, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 3, Apple Studio Monitor 21", Panasonic 50VT25
post #28514 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Saw a tweet that Samsung updated their tvs for low input lag HDR gaming. Hope we see the same on our Ps ASAP. HDR gaming comes next week.

@mattmc
shoman94 likes this.
post #28515 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Whoa!
I see it on my P50-C1!

Good grief!

It's a highly directional hot-spot. It shows best in that crackly ground scene! Severe washout outside a 2-degree viewing cone! Line-of-sight must be dead-center of the panel at about 25 yards back.

Even so, there's still a 'wash-out' look on the sides.

I moved my head to the left, then to the right, up then down. The 'hot-spot' follows along.

Just slightly viewing at a down angle is really bad.
I hope none of you are looking at you displays upward, downward, leftward, or rightward!

Thankfully, it's not noticed much during regular viewing - but it's 'always' there to haunt you.

My seating has my eyes lined-up centered to the screen. Hmm. Maybe a P55 next time?
Lemme see... Hot-Spot VA vs Bleed/Bloom IPS?

Oh, that video looked fine on my PC's monitor (ASUS).

It's not hot spot issue cause it's ok on the m70 I had which is VA also

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #28516 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
It's not hot spot issue cause it's ok on the m70 I had which is VA also
swap it man, dont hesitate, dont settle. these are kickass tvs but you dont want anything nagging at you for the life of the tv.
post #28517 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
P65 just arrived! It's my understanding that HDMI 5 has the lowest latency as I play a lot of video games. Should I use another HDMI port for movies, Netflix etc in HDR? This will be hooked to to a Denon 3200x so I was going to run two hdmi cables from the TV and switch the inputs based on what I'm using the TV for. Or is none of that necessary?
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #28518 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Saw a tweet that Samsung updated their tvs for low input lag HDR gaming. Hope we see the same on our Ps ASAP. HDR gaming comes next week.

@mattmc

Those Samsung TVs had input lag of over 110ms according to Eurogamer, so without knowing the new number it's hard for me to be impressed. The Vizio is supposedly in the 60ms range, but measurements are all over the board on these sets as no one really knows how to measure input lag of HDR accurately it seems.

Edit: Well I guess it is 24.2ms according to HDTVTest's Twitter, which is crazy impressive. I wonder if it hurts image quality at all.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
post #28519 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Those Samsung TVs had input lag of over 110ms according to Eurogamer, so without knowing the new number it's hard for me to be impressed. The Vizio is supposedly in the 60ms range, but measurements are all over the board on these sets as no one really knows how to measure input lag of HDR accurately it seems.
This is the tweet from @HDTV Test.

"BREAKING: Samsung firmware updates 2016 SUHD @uhd4K TVs to add low-lag Game Mode for #XboxOneS & #PS4Pro HDR gaming. https://twitter.com/HDTVTest/status/773859278050516992/photo/1"
post #28520 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 06:25 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
swap it man, dont hesitate, dont settle. these are kickass tvs but you dont want anything nagging at you for the life of the tv.
He's already swapped it out once. I have the same issue, two others that have played the Youtube video show the same issue. Fortunately at least on my set 90% of the time it is not noticeable with regular content. I presume this is because regular content rarely has the same colour right across the screen and is mixed. Was watching football and world cup of hockey last night and it looked fantastic for the most part save for DSE. I could see some of the issue with the grass in football, but at the same time, not sure it was the best feed as the sides seemed a bit soft in general. Browns seem to be the biggest culprit.

I tried adjusting colour space, and every setting in the book, decreasing/increasing brightness/blacklight, etc. Nothing helped it.

@b_rad4 ... curious, see if Rtings would play that same youtube link on their set which I assume they still have. I'm 99% sure it will show up on their set as well, and likely most here.

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Last edited by pbc; 09-09-2016 at 06:36 AM.
post #28521 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post
P65 just arrived! It's my understanding that HDMI 5 has the lowest latency as I play a lot of video games. Should I use another HDMI port for movies, Netflix etc in HDR? This will be hooked to to a Denon 3200x so I was going to run two hdmi cables from the TV and switch the inputs based on what I'm using the TV for. Or is none of that necessary?
HDMI 5 won't do HDR. Use HDMI1 for everything else. Unless you are a hardcore gamer (and would actually notice the diff in lag) you may be fine with HDMI1 for everything.
toonj64 likes this.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #28522 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He's already swapped it out once. I have the same issue, two others that have played the Youtube video show the same issue. Fortunately at least on my set 90% of the time it is not noticeable with regular content. I presume this is because regular content rarely has the same colour right across the screen and is mixed. Was watching football and world cup of hockey last night and it looked fantastic for the most part save for DSE. I could see some of the issue with the grass in football, but at the same time, not sure it was the best feed as the sides seemed a bit soft in general. Browns seem to be the biggest culprit.

I tried adjusting colour space, and every setting in the book, decreasing/increasing brightness/blacklight, etc. Nothing helped it.

@b_rad4 ... curious, see if Rtings would play that same youtube link on their set which I assume they still have. I'm 99% sure it will show up on their set as well, and likely most here.

Oh judging by rtings 10% it would for sure show up on the right side. Theirs has a weird red tint to the whole left side of the screen and yellow at the right side. It's very different from my 2. Looking at my collection of all the 10% pics all of them have some yellowing. Some are just worse than others. I also don't know which are the P65. Maybe all the poor ones are P65.

post #28523 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Viewing angles

Hi,

I bought the 50" version since my room is fairly small and the next available size seemed to be 65" in Canada, but this means my couch has to be fairly close to it for optimal viewing (about 7') which means if you aren't almost exactly center the picture is noticeably different. For this size range of television is it worth returning this for an IPS display or even a 55" M Series (which supposedly has better viewing angle and the larger size makes it ideal to move it slightly further from the couch?

Thanks.
post #28524 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone experienced any issues with the HDMI 1-4? I had an issue last night where HDMI Ports 1-4 would flash on the screen and off, while Hdmi port 5 would stay steady. A power cycle fixed, but didnt know if this was something other had seen?
post #28525 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrRome View Post
Hi,

I bought the 50" version since my room is fairly small and the next available size seemed to be 65" in Canada, but this means my couch has to be fairly close to it for optimal viewing (about 7') which means if you aren't almost exactly center the picture is noticeably different. For this size range of television is it worth returning this for an IPS display or even a 55" M Series (which supposedly has better viewing angle and the larger size makes it ideal to move it slightly further from the couch?

Thanks.

M series 55" is still VA. You would have to go to the 60" which is IPS or the P55.

post #28526 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post
My Denon AVR has two HDMI out also. I use monitor 1 on HDMI 1 for arc and HDMI 5 for everything else. I can't speak for everyone on this board but the lag difference is very noticeable.

HDMI 5 doesn't do HDR as we know of yet. Then again I didn't think HDR over HDMI
1.4 was possible either. Samsung got an update to fix their lag for HDR, I'm hoping Vizio had something in the works even if it's HDR-lite with low lag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400,Optoma 27HDR, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 77C9, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
LG 55CX, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 3, Apple Studio Monitor 21", Panasonic 50VT25
post #28527 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyHunt View Post
Has anyone experienced any issues with the HDMI 1-4? I had an issue last night where HDMI Ports 1-4 would flash on the screen and off, while Hdmi port 5 would stay steady. A power cycle fixed, but didnt know if this was something other had seen?

I seen that one my current P65. It happened on HDMI 4 where my PS4 was plugged into.

Also last night while watching football I noticed that weird dithering thing @Patrick Randall mentioned. Powering on and off fixed both.

Seems to be a lot of small bugs like that that are fixed with a power cycle. On the M70 I had, casting would sometimes have half the screen a lighter tint than the other half, like the brightness was cranked up and a power cycle fixed that as well.

post #28528 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrRome View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
The P55-C1 is the one you want as its IPS. I have it, and use to have the M55-D0. The viewing angles of the P55 are extremely good and exactly what you are looking for. You also gain some decent looking colours, but loose a small bit of the black level, which is not a big deal as its only a small difference.
post #28529 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:

my 4th p65 is a keeper. 3rd one had this issue - the first two didnt. fight the good fight. the trouble is worth it in the end. only other option i see is getting a oled65b6 from one of the forum sponsors...but then youre at lg's mercy and cant do the BB in-home delivery thing.

some people will chastise you for doing multiple swaps but i dont think you should feel quilty one bit. bb has a liberal return policy, so does vizio. theyre both smart companies. my assumption is that they costed it out and figured it was a business case than a rigorous toyot style manufacturing/qa system.

Last edited by Patrick Randall; 09-09-2016 at 07:54 AM.
post #28530 of 64686 Old 09-09-2016, 07:54 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
my 4th p65 is a keeper. 3rd one had this issue - the first two didnt. fight the good fight. the trouble is worth it in the end. only other option i see is getting a oled65b6 from one of the forum sponsors...but then youre at lg's mercy and cant do the BB in-home delivery thing.
Yeah...unfortunately here in Canada at least we are at the mercy of Costco.ca and their "2-4 week backorder" timelines, when and if the P65 actually pops up on the Costco site.

Curious, can you play that Youtube video and take some pictures with your cell phone of the brown grass in particular?

8 seconds in .. 25 seconds in as well works.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page