Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179870Likes

post #3001 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Raz View Post
I don't even bother with David Katz most of the time anymore, his reviews have gone downhill immensely in recent years and are always seeminngly biased /
uneducated
Also realize that most articles or reviews are sponsored one way or another someone is paying to get these articles written.
Especially with electronics. these guys get a spanking new tv model delivered to their doorstep to keep or use for a period of time.
How independent and unbiased can these reviews be.

I don't put much faith in "any" reviews anymore. I'd rather hear from consumers actual experiences much like consumer reports does.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
it's Funny when I bought this Set I never even saw the Samsung HDR demo for 2016. I just happened to go Into Frys Electronics to scope out the k8500 player and they had an 8000 playing the loop and man that HDR1000 demo looked great. nothing i have watched streaming has come close to that.
with that said the UFC fight in 4k was pretty cool looking, super clean and almost 3d looking.
post #3003 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. However, I do get inconsistent reads based upon the test so it could be the nature of how the test is conducted. The one that was most favorable and didn't show any throttling was speedof.me - try it and let us know what you experience.

With normal usage, I only very occasionally notice that the TV is waiting to catch up on data.
Well that's interesting.
speedof.me showed 32mbps down and 16mbps up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
It's a fake HDR mode you can apply to any picture mode. It is not real HDR and if you are playing a real HDR source and you want to see it in real HDR, don't set HDR+ as that will not engage real HDR. (For real HDR on this set you must start in Movie mode.)
I'll just leave this permalink here to add some confusion to the thread
Combining HDR+ with real HDR
post #3005 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12679 Post(s)
Liked: 11914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Also realize that most articles or reviews are sponsored one way or another someone is paying to get these articles written.
Especially with electronics. these guys get a spanking new tv model delivered to their doorstep to keep or use for a period of time.
How independent and unbiased can these reviews be.

I don't put much faith in "any" reviews anymore. I'd rather hear from consumers actual experiences much like consumer reports does.

He's very biased towards oled, but gave praise to some lcds last year when side by side with the oleds.

Katz also keeps all his tvs he reviews. He has a room that he has them all set up side by side.
Expidia likes this.
post #3006 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
I am using the inner holes for the legs and I believe I have it on a stand that is 46" wide. The legs are right at the edge. I can measure when I get home if you need exact measurements.
Thank you for the reply. So there are two choices (4 holes/two pairs of holes) of placement for the stand into the TV? So you can have the legs spread out almost to the corners or closer together in the inner holes?
I just measured. My stand narrows to 40" in the rear. The TV legs are 39" apart if using the inner holes. This brings them right to the edge of my 40" stand in the rear.
post #3007 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
If you are planning on mounting your TV, then I'd recommend getting these screws a head of time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00917MSJE..._3T-GxbMZMJRP6

Or make sure your mount comes with screws this long. Mine didn't. M8, 45mm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Interesting, I have the SANUS Simplicity SLT2-B1 that Costco sells and it looks like it comes with M8 35MM Bolts? The last one I bought and mounted was the Kanto, also from Costco. So I might have some extra bolts in my tool box from that set. I'll see if I can find them, but is there a reason why you recommend the 45mm over the included 35? Did you install it before or once you had the television? I kind of want to enlist my brother in law's help, but the mrs. is insistent we can do this on our own. I'm a little concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm in a really tough spot. I own a Vizio p65 which I love, had it for 3 months issue free but over the past week 2 popped up. I had a screen tearing issue yesterday where half the tv was a weird colored snow like picture, and the other half was fine. The second issue is a yellow band down the middle that I hadn't noticed until I watched a black and white movie. I am out of my return window with Best Buy but Vizio is offering me a refund since they have a backlog I guess. I don't know if I want to just hang on and wait for Vizio to replace mine or take the refund and buy a 65ks8000. Anyone else been in this position?
I was bouncing back and forth between the P65 and KS8000. I ended up ordering the KS8000 because of some of the issues you and the owners thread brought up. When I would go out and torture myself on what was important, size or quality (I was originally thinking of a 75") I kept coming back to the KS8000. It seemed to have the versatility I wanted in a television. Especially after I caught myself watching Fort Apache the other night on my 6 or 7 year old 55" LG. Speaking of which. Anyone had any issues watching black and white on this tv?
ma1746 likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3008 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I reset my TV to factory settings. Still having issues with the SmartHub taking forever to load. I also removed the cable box pairing so the thumbnails don't load. Same issue. I really hope they fix this with the next firmware update.
post #3009 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
If you are planning on mounting your TV, then I'd recommend getting these screws a head of time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00917MSJE..._3T-GxbMZMJRP6

Or make sure your mount comes with screws this long. Mine didn't. M8, 45mm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Interesting, I have the SANUS Simplicity SLT2-B1 that Costco sells and it looks like it comes with M8 35MM Bolts? The last one I bought and mounted was the Kanto, also from Costco. So I might have some extra bolts in my tool box from that set. I'll see if I can find them, but is there a reason why you recommend the 45mm over the included 35? Did you install it before or once you had the television? I kind of want to enlist my brother in law's help, but the mrs. is insistent we can do this on our own. I'm a little concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm in a really tough spot. I own a Vizio p65 which I love, had it for 3 months issue free but over the past week 2 popped up. I had a screen tearing issue yesterday where half the tv was a weird colored snow like picture, and the other half was fine. The second issue is a yellow band down the middle that I hadn't noticed until I watched a black and white movie. I am out of my return window with Best Buy but Vizio is offering me a refund since they have a backlog I guess. I don't know if I want to just hang on and wait for Vizio to replace mine or take the refund and buy a 65ks8000. Anyone else been in this position?
I was bouncing back and forth between the P65 and KS8000. I ended up ordering the KS8000 because of some of the issues you and the owners thread brought up. When I would go out and torture myself on what was important, size or quality (I was originally thinking of a 75") I kept coming back to the KS8000. It seemed to have the versatility I wanted in a television. Especially after I caught myself watching Fort Apache the other night on my 6 or 7 year old 55" LG. Speaking of which. Anyone had any issues watching black and white on this tv?

You need the 45mm bolts. The manual specifically calls for these and to be used with the spacers that come with the TV. I tried using 35mm bolts with my mount so that the TV would sit closer to the wall but the spacers the mounts come with don't fit into the holes on the back of the TV where the bolts go in. So either the bolts won't fit or you don't use the spacers. If you don't use the spacers then the brackets for the mount are loose.
The_Donster likes this.
post #3010 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
So I reset my TV to factory settings. Still having issues with the SmartHub taking forever to load. I also removed the cable box pairing so the thumbnails don't load. Same issue. I really hope they fix this with the next firmware update.

I had the issue where Smarthub would not load at all sometimes. On a lark I went into expert settings in the system area and set smarthub to load when the set turns on. Worked flawlessly. After a few start ups I set the option back so that smarthub does not load on startup but now I get smarthub to load instantly on demand. Give that a shot.
post #3011 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Funny thing is mine started acting up so I factory reset my tv this morning. Smart hub was working great and then this evening smart hub wouldn't launch. Weird!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro

Last edited by jvcjbl; 07-12-2016 at 06:11 AM.
post #3012 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl View Post
Quote:

Funny thing is mine started acting up so I factory reset my tv this morning. Smart hub was working great and the. This evening smart hub wouldn't launch. Weird!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the factory reset worked for the day for me too.
post #3013 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmur View Post
This comment (and the thread that Samsung claims HDR+ with HDR is better) intrigued me, so I wanted to see what the difference between HDR and HDR with HDR+ was.

To make an apples to apples comparison, I first put on Marco Polo and changed my HDR+ settings to be the same as my HDR settings. Next, I switched back and forth between HDR+ and no HDR+ (which falls back to HDR). I could not tell the difference--there was literally NO change in image as I toggled HDR+ on and off on a paused image. Could it be that HDR+ automatically falls back to HDR color mapping when viewing HDR content? If so, this is good news for me, as I can just keep HDR+ on all the time! What do you guys see?
King Richard likes this.
post #3014 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
This comment (and the thread that Samsung claims HDR+ with HDR is better) intrigued me, so I wanted to see what the difference between HDR and HDR with HDR+ was.

To make an apples to apples comparison, I first put on Marco Polo and changed my HDR+ settings to be the same as my HDR settings. Next, I switched back and forth between HDR+ and no HDR+ (which falls back to HDR). I could not tell the difference--there was literally NO change in image as I toggled HDR+ on and off on a paused image. Could it be that HDR+ automatically falls back to HDR color mapping when viewing HDR content? If so, this is good news for me, as I can just keep HDR+ on all the time! What do you guys see?

I posted pictures in the ks9800 thread, there is definitely a difference for me when toggling on and off. For me it makes the colors a little bit richer and more colorful.
post #3015 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
You need the 45mm bolts. The manual specifically calls for these and to be used with the spacers that come with the TV. I tried using 35mm bolts with my mount so that the TV would sit closer to the wall but the spacers the mounts come with don't fit into the holes on the back of the TV where the bolts go in. So either the bolts won't fit or you don't use the spacers. If you don't use the spacers then the brackets for the mount are loose.
Cool man, thanks for suggestion. I'll grab them tomorrow.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3016 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Quote:

I posted pictures in the ks9800 thread, there is definitely a difference for me when toggling on and off. For me it makes the colors a little bit richer and more colorful.
What color space do you have set with HDR+? I've found native to be too oversaturated. Auto appears the same with HDR and HDR+ for me.
post #3017 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

The way I see this working is HDR+ and HDR retain their own settings. If you set them up exactly the same in every regard and you see no difference then the TV is falling back to HDR. Either that or this whole HDR thing is a gimmick and it can easily be recreated using software.
post #3018 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
What color space do you have set with HDR+? I've found native to be too oversaturated. Auto appears the same with HDR and HDR+ for me.

Regarding hdr+, if the native source is hdr, you use auto, if the native source is sdr, I use native. If colors are too rich, lower color saturation. If you use auto, it may not track rec2020 colors properly.

With sdr+hdr+, the settings are crazy and I've been experimenting with dynamic contrast and gamma. I'm watching a taped NFL game right now and I found turning gamma to -1, dynamic contrast off/low, backlight at 20 really makes a very 3d looking picture with very rich colors without looking fake at all. Helmets on football players really shine like it's real HDR.

Last edited by ray0414; 07-11-2016 at 08:01 PM.
post #3019 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Regarding hdr+, if the native source is hdr, you use auto, if the native source is sdr, I use native. If colors are too rich, lower color saturation.

With sdr+hdr+, the settings are crazy and I've been experimenting with dynamic contrast and gamma. I'm watching a taped NFL game right now and I found turning gamma to -1, dynamic contrast off/low, backlight at 20 really makes a very 3d looking picture with very rich colors without looking fake at all. Helmets on football players really shine like it's real HDR.
That explains the color difference you are seeing with HDR vs HDR/HDR+
post #3020 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
SmartHub

Quote:
Wow, I noticed the exact same thing two hours ago
I get about 120mbps wired, but the TV maxes out at about 35mbps through speedtest.net.
Quote:
Just for more information....

...ever since I've been on 1114, SmartHub is working flawlessly, day after day. Haven't even had to force stop an app. I've added more apps as well. As soon as I turn on the TV, I can press the home button remore and get access to anything on SmartHub immediately.

Besides the firmware update to 1114, the other settings that may contribute are the AutoRun SmartHub and Load LastApp - I have both OFF. If yours area also OFF, I don't know what else it could be? Wireless? I am on wired connection. Prior to 1114, I did a lot of SmartHub resets to get it working without resetting the entire TV. Just trying to figure out why your experience is so different.....
post #3021 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Quote:
Wow, I noticed the exact same thing two hours ago
I get about 120mbps wired, but the TV maxes out at about 35mbps through speedtest.net.
Quote:
Just for more information....

...ever since I've been on 1114, SmartHub is working flawlessly, day after day. Haven't even had to force stop an app. I've added more apps as well. As soon as I turn on the TV, I can press the home button remore and get access to anything on SmartHub immediately.

Besides the firmware update to 1114, the other settings that may contribute are the AutoRun SmartHub and Load LastApp - I have both OFF. If yours area also OFF, I don't know what else it could be? Wireless? I am on wired connection. Prior to 1114, I did a lot of SmartHub resets to get it working without resetting the entire TV. Just trying to figure out why your experience is so different.....
I have both SmartHub settings off and I am using a wired connection as well. I don't get it.
post #3022 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

So I've been having alot of trouble get my Ks8500 to display Netflix HDR content. Everytime I play a HDR show like Marco Polo. It plays up to 4k but the HDR never turns on. My picture settings doesn't change to HDR. And I can change things like backlight and contrast while Marco Polo is playing. So I know HDR is not on. It stays on Movie mode. I've restarted the smart hub. Reset the picture settings. I'm on 1114. I don't know what to do anymore. Any help is appreciated. Or if you had this problem how did you fix it.

Thanks
post #3023 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys new member here and I had a question for all you KS8000 owners.

I currently own a 55" 930D, however I have been seriously considering getting a 65"KS8000 as I feel the 55" is too small for me. The reason I'm considering an 8000 over getting the 930D in a 65" is because I have a samsung accommodation and I can get the KS8000 for $1395 brand new at BB. If I go for the 65"930D that will cost me about $2800 plus tax.

Do you guys think it would be a smart move to go from a 930d to an 8000? The reason I'm not considering the 9000 is because from what I've read it doesn't really offer much more then the 8000 to warrant spending the extra $$.

I'll be using my TV to watch Directv(eventually I'll be subscribing to their 4K channel package), watch my Blu-rays, and play my Xbone and PS4.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...any advise is appreciated.
post #3024 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
If the native source is hdr, auto should be used at all times whether your using hdr+ or not. I think you thought I was doing something different with real hdr.
post #3025 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
If the native source is hdr, auto should be used at all times whether your using hdr+ or not. I think you thought I was doing something different with real hdr.
I use auto for all settings when it comes to color space. For SDR if I boost my backlight to 20 and set dynamic contrast to medium it looks exactly the same as if I turn HDR+ on and have dynamic contrast set to off. In fact I get a little haze in the blacks with HDR+ which makes it look worse. I really think all HDR+ does is boost the backlight and mess with dynamic contrast. I see no color benefit and I'm surprised that you do. From your comments I thought you were using native color for HDR+. Then combined with true HDR content it would look different than just normal HDR. I'll have to test with some true HDR content tomorrow.
post #3026 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
for those of you guys interested in the new HDR+ feature, in a recent KS9800 review, they had some nice coverage of it including some very impressive before/after pictures.

i myself prefer to use HDR+ with native HDR content cause it magnifies the HDR just a tad with richer colors and a little bit more pop. samsung actually has a graph indicating that HDR+added to HDR is better than HDR by itself. of course they are touting their new feature, but i think they may be right.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ampaign=buffer

i also just added a few pictures i took from my cell phone over in the KS9800 thread showing the HDR+ on and off, and in my testings the SDR&HDR+ looks closer to the HDR picture than it does to the SDR picture.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...thread-12.html
Way cool! I like HDR+ a lot. I'm pretty settled into Standard for TV watching, HDR+ for SDR movies and shows other than TV, and Movie/HDR mode for actual HDR. (Of course there are sometimes exceptions to these selections depending on the lighting of any given program). But if there is no sin in using HDR+ for real HDR encoded sources, that will make life that much simpler. It does look alive!

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #3027 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I use auto for all settings when it comes to color space. For SDR if I boost my backlight to 20 and set dynamic contrast to medium it looks exactly the same as if I turn HDR+ on and have dynamic contrast set to off. In fact I get a little haze in the blacks with HDR+ which makes it look worse. I really think all HDR+ does is boost the backlight and mess with dynamic contrast. I see no color benefit and I'm surprised that you do. From your comments I thought you were using native color for HDR+. Then combined with true HDR content it would look different than just normal HDR. I'll have to test with some true HDR content tomorrow.
Its definitely confusing.

Hdr = auto

Hdr&hdr+ = auto

Sdr = native

Sdr&hdr+ native

So basically my color spaces never change with the native source i have whether I use hdr+ or not. So with regular hdr, the colors get boosted, just like Samsung claims they do. The gamma setting tho is super sensitive to being changed. 0 or -1 is the only setting u can use, otherwise the picture just turns into mayhem.

(I like a punchy picture, that's why I use native for SDR).

Last edited by ray0414; 07-11-2016 at 08:38 PM.
post #3028 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Regarding hdr+, if the native source is hdr, you use auto, if the native source is sdr, I use native. If colors are too rich, lower color saturation. If you use auto, it may not track rec2020 colors properly.

Ah, I see. So there IS a difference between HDR and HDR+ if both are set to Native color space. There is a small difference between Auto and Native in HDR, with Auto looking slightly better IMO. In HDR+, Native looked very dull. I've kept both HDR and HDR+ in Auto.

Anyone know what Auto color space technically does?
post #3029 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Its definitely confusing.

Hdr = auto

Hdr&hdr+ = auto

Sdr = native

Sdr&hdr+ native

So basically my color spaces never change with the native source i have whether I use hdr+ or not. So with regular hdr, the colors get boosted, just like Samsung claims they do. The gamma setting tho is super sensitive to being changed. 0 or -1 is the only setting u can use, otherwise the picture just turns into mayhem.

(I like a punchy picture, that's why I use native for SDR).
What a pain in the ass to have to change things for each type of content. I just want to set it and forget it. I'll stick to my movie mode and let HDR content switch on its own.
post #3030 of 36543 Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. So there IS a difference between HDR and HDR+ if both are set to Native color space. There is a small difference between Auto and Native in HDR, with Auto looking slightly better IMO. In HDR+, Native looked very dull. I've kept both HDR and HDR+ in Auto.

Anyone know what Auto color space technically does?

When viewing real hdr, u want to use the auto color space no matter what. This will track the color space to rec2020, multiple professional calibrators/reviewers have pointed that out for 2016 samsungs. Using native will go towards rec709 and greatly desaturate the picture.

When it comes to native sdr, its probably preference what you use.

Either way, I love the setting. Works great with sports too but gotta play with the settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page