Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1015 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179613Likes

post #30421 of 36219 Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Remember that HDMI-CEC and Arc is the thing that's horrifying, it's fundamentally broken and implemented differently by every single manufacturer and devices simply don't talk to each other as was intended. It might be addressed in the HDMI2.1 updates, but HDMI.org loves having specs where lots of features are "optional" so the consumer can never have any confidence that any particular feature will be implemented either partially or fully by the manufacturer of any device they have even though every device might be the same version number of HDMI ! I personally think this is a completely ridiculous approach to take.

Anyway if you have a flaky set-up that works, I can understand your hesitation but equally you could change your AVR, or any other device you own, and HDMI-CEC and Arc could just as easily fall over again. Assume it'll break when the wind changes, and just update when firmware comes out . The fw I've just installed today (1208.2) was put in their website today, spotted from an OTA download yesterday but its build date was over 3 weeks ago (23rd Oct). Samsung have several levels of testing to go through before they will actually release a firmware to the public.
Well the last time I was hesitant to update I took your advice and went ahead, I may do the same in this situation. I guess I have just been living by the motto of " If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30422 of 36219 Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeaka View Post
Confuses me why people are quick to install updates when they do not know what the update contains, it may make thing worse. Why does Samsung not have release notes for updates, crazy.
With that approach you will never update as Samsung NEVER say what is in each release!

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Roku Streaming Stick + | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #30423 of 36219 Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked: 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post
Well the last time I was hesitant to update I took your advice and went ahead, I may do the same in this situation. I guess I have just been living by the motto of " If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I feel a terrible weight of responsibility now! Don't listen to just me! There's no harm in waiting for a little bit
Sometime soon we're due the firmware which gives two sets of settings stored in Game mode. I bet you anything there will be a crazy rush to get that one installed

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30424 of 36219 Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCaptainCanadax View Post
Well contrary to what I thought Samsung tech is now here doing the panel replacement for my Tv with the dead pixel. Took them one visit to come out, 1 day to get a panel and now they are swapping the internals. So far I'm impressed with this whole process.

EDIT UPDATE: Panel has been replaced, pretty painless really. The only negative is this panel seems to have a tiny bit of light bleed in the bottom left corner where my previous one didnt. Service tech said he would mention to Samsung but generally the corners are acceptable. Otherwise the panel is fine so far. *knock on wood*
Wow. Lucky you. I have never heard of any TV company replacing, refunding, or repairing a TV with anything less than 6-10 dead pixels(varies by manufacturer). So if all that was wrong was one dead pixel, consider yourself very lucky.
jeep05, Terminader and azz7686 like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #30425 of 36219 Old 11-15-2017, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well none of my uhd purchases on vudu are triggering hdr. Guess I’ll wait and see if there will be an update to the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #30426 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Yay. You beat me to it! I'll install it tonight
YASSSSS!

Also, the Black levels fix for Xbox One users is out to Insiders and works (I've not tried it yet), I believe it'll roll out to everyone later today.
post #30427 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I feel a terrible weight of responsibility now! Don't listen to just me! There's no harm in waiting for a little bit
Sometime soon we're due the firmware which gives two sets of settings stored in Game mode. I bet you anything there will be a crazy rush to get that one installed
Well I didn't get it done last night, but I did use netflix and noticed a bit of a difference when I booted the app, I'll get it done soon and if it doesnt work it will be all your fault!
mrtickleuk likes this.

Amateur HT enthusiast.
post #30428 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Updated to 1208 last night (UK) and ever since I can't open apps. YouTube will eventually open after holding down the 'back' button on the remote and re-open the app, however no matter what I try the Google Movies nor Ratuken will open and the screen just goes black.

I've tried holding the power button to do a 'hard reset(?)' and also reset the Smart Hub in settings. Those apps still won't open.

I read on another forum that (on a similar TV) you can hover over an app and press the 'tools' button on the bigger remote to bring a menu where it allows you to 'reinstall' an app!? Not sure if it works on this TV but I'll have a go after work unless someone here knows different that can tell me. Unsure what else to try!
post #30429 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnSpaulding View Post
Updated to 1208 last night (UK) and ever since I can't open apps. YouTube will eventually open after holding down the 'back' button on the remote and re-open the app, however no matter what I try the Google Movies nor Ratuken will open and the screen just goes black.

I've tried holding the power button to do a 'hard reset(?)' and also reset the Smart Hub in settings. Those apps still won't open.

I read on another forum that (on a similar TV) you can hover over an app and press the 'tools' button on the bigger remote to bring a menu where it allows you to 'reinstall' an app!? Not sure if it works on this TV but I'll have a go after work unless someone here knows different that can tell me. Unsure what else to try!
There is another reset method, and that is to unplug power from the set while it is on. Wait a couple of minutes, and plug it back in. I think that doing the reset by holding down the power button is similar to what the firmware does on updates, and sometimes it seems not to do a complete job clearing out memory. Unplugging appears to be much more reliable, and I've been doing it after most updates recently.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #30430 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnSpaulding View Post

Troubleshooting app issues is in the attached PDF which is also on the first post of this forum. It includes app reinstall.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a0df140...2003-19-17.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVS Forum Official Samsung KS8000 KS8500 Owners' Information 03-19-17.pdf (909.0 KB, 43 views)
The_Donster and mrtickleuk like this.
post #30431 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Had my first odd bug with what I believe coincides with 1208.

While watching my cable box input, the TV just randomly switched over to my PS4. The PS4 was off, and nothing was pressed to make the TV does as such. The PS4 wasn't activated, awoken, or anything either; I have that set to happen around 1AM on mornings for it to do what it needs to, and that has never turned on the TV either.

I've had the firmware for a few days, and this is the 1st time this has ever happened. It could be some totally unrelated issue, but for now, I'm contributing it to the new firmware, as this has never happened on any previous firmwares or just time.
maximuslcd and Terminader like this.
post #30432 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Is Nov 27th still good for game mode change? @Rudy1
post #30433 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
First time poster but have been using the Tv for almost a year. I have been extremely happy with this set, but have noticed an anomaly when watching HDR content. No matter what settings I change, the set seems to auto raise and lower the backlight, and is especially noticeable when scenes switch from light to dark and back again. Here are my current settings for HDR:

Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Motion control to custom of 3 on blur and judder (have same issue stated above even if this is OFF)

Smart LED normally LOW. I have used high quite a bit too, and recently turned it off. It doesn’t matter, the HDR dimming and blooming continues. I feel like this should be the culprit but it does not appear that way.

Dynamic contrast MEDIUM. Also tried all the other settings but problem still occurs. Plus with it off everything is just too dim.

ECO sensor control is all turned off too.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this just something that happens to others in HDR? To reiterate, it only does this in HDR. It’s so distracting in some movies and shows in NETFLIX that I almost rather watch it in SDR.

And once last thing to add, it does it for all of my HDR sources (Apple TV 4K and built in Samsung apps)

I think I just really want to know if others have this issue, so I can cross my fingers that it will one day be fixed via firmware. I currently have firmware 1207.2, but this behavior has occurred the entire time I have owned the set.

Thank you.
post #30434 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

YouTube TV

Now available on our TVs: https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/...ung-smart-tvs/

Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #30435 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
Is Nov 27th still good for game mode change? @Rudy1
Yes...over the network distribution for both 2016 & 2017 models is scheduled to be well underway by that date.
pg22 likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #30436 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ugh, I have been having problems with my ks8000. I spent two weeks with samsung support. They finally sent a guy down here.. he was here two minutes took a few pictures. When I showed him issues and started explaining it. He says "you don't need to explain anything to me. I show samsung and they decide if you need a return." I said can you at least record a video since the issue won't show on a picture. He rolls his eyes and says fine.

I contact Samsung the next day, they say repair man says its fine but I have bad reception.... I don't even own a television service....no cable/satellite. I say did you see the video showing the issue? They reply saying they just got photos. So after badgering them and they threatening to charge me I got them to agree to send another guy down here.... its been a week. No call. Called him yesterday myself after asking samsung for number directly. He said I am busy right now I will contact you tommorrow. No call.

The first guy I got barely spoke English and the second guy seemed to be same from short phone call.

I have a brown spot on my screen and horrible rippling across my screen when I enable SMART LED. Which I need for movies/HDR. The rippling is not apparent unless I have a solid color or a variation of same color. It is more apparent with HDR for some reason. Like If I am looking at light blue sky, or a foggy scenery. In a game where I was in smoke it looked terrible.
I did have two brownspots but one 1 went away. If I had to guess its one of the diode from the backlight died. Honestly the rippling is worse because the spot is really only noticeable sometimes and vaguely.

I have seriously 0 idea what to do. I had tv for 10 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095 (1).JPG
Views:	220
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2316610  

Last edited by eqzitara; 11-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #30437 of 36219 Old 11-16-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Ugh, I have been having problems with my ks8000. I spent two weeks with samsung support. They finally sent a guy down here.. he was here two minutes took a few pictures. When I showed him issues and started explaining it. He says "you don't need to explain anything to me. I show samsung and they decide if you need a return." I said can you at least record a video since the issue won't show on a picture. He rolls his eyes and says fine.

I contact Samsung the next day, they say repair man says its fine but I have bad reception.... I don't even own a television service....no cable/satellite. I say did you see the video showing the issue? They reply saying they just got photos. So after badgering them and they threatening to charge me I got them to agree to send another guy down here.... its been a week. No call. Called him yesterday myself after asking samsung for number directly. He said I am busy right now I will contact you tommorrow. No call.

The first guy I got barely spoke English and the second guy seemed to be same from short phone call.

I have a brown spot on my screen and horrible rippling across my screen when I enable SMART LED. Which I need for movies/HDR. The rippling is not apparent unless I have a solid color or a variation of same color. It is more apparent with HDR for some reason. Like If I am looking at light blue sky, or a foggy scenery. In a game where I was in smoke it looked terrible.
I did have two brownspots but one 1 went away. If I had to guess its one of the diode from the backlight died. Honestly the rippling is worse because the spot is really only noticeable sometimes and vaguely.

I have seriously 0 idea what to do. I had tv for 10 months.
If you purchased with a credit card, contact your credit card provider. Explain it to them, and let them handle it. I assume your card has some sort of purchase protection as a benefit.
pg22 likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #30438 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
YouTube TV

Now available on our TVs: https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/...ung-smart-tvs/

Only available in the US as far as I can tell.
post #30439 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTastyBurger666 View Post
Only available in the US as far as I can tell.
I hate those words with a passion. It's the biggest kick in the teeth every time, especially for Canadians. "Only available in the US"
Terminader and DMZ_P like this.
post #30440 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
I hate those words with a passion. It's the biggest kick in the teeth every time, especially for Canadians. "Only available in the US"
Biggest gripe for me is that we don't get the Steam Link app. It's available in like 95 countries but not Canada
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #30441 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbixby11 View Post
First time poster but have been using the Tv for almost a year. I have been extremely happy with this set, but have noticed an anomaly when watching HDR content. No matter what settings I change, the set seems to auto raise and lower the backlight, and is especially noticeable when scenes switch from light to dark and back again. Here are my current settings for HDR:

I think I just really want to know if others have this issue, so I can cross my fingers that it will one day be fixed via firmware. I currently have firmware 1207.2, but this behavior has occurred the entire time I have owned the set.
I spend a lot of time with HDR material. I've never had anything like you describe with ECO settings off. The ECO settings can do stuff like that, but you say you have them off. Hmm. Have you tried unplugging the TV while it's on and letting it sit for 10 minutes? Then powering it back on? This forces the TV to do a full boot. This sometimes helps with weird issues.

Quote:
I know I'll be rushing! I usually don't bother updating firmware if I'm not having any issues, unless a useful feature gets added. And this is one of the most useful features! The new firmware can't get here soon enough
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #30442 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I spend a lot of time with HDR material. I've never had anything like you describe with ECO settings off. The ECO settings can do stuff like that, but you say you have them off.
There was a lot of talks on this thread about this a few months back. Never noticed it until recently while watching Mindhunter on Netflix or Patriots on Prime Videos.
I can see the brigthness or backlight decreasing a bit for a few seconds if there are (I think) light camera moves. I don't think I've had the issue with Stranger Things though.

post #30443 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
There was a lot of talks on this thread about this a few months back. Never noticed it until recently while watching Mindhunter on Netflix or Patriots on Prime Videos.

I can see the brigthness or backlight decreasing a bit for a few seconds if there are (I think) light camera moves. I don't think I've had the issue with Stranger Things though.

Mindhunters is bad for it. Have yet to notice it on other Netflix HDR shows. It's almost a breathing effect.

blenky and DMZ_P like this.
post #30444 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Mindhunters is bad for it. Have yet to notice it on other Netflix HDR shows. It's almost a breathing effect.

Exactly, like a breathing effect.
I had the issue on both Standard and Movie mode.

post #30445 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you that like HDR, this one is almost as good as "sweaty DJ", one of the @mrtickleuk favorites! The video is both hot and sharp looking!

Chuck Ebby and The_Donster like this.

Last edited by Terminader; 11-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #30446 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For those of you that like HDR, this one is almost as good as "sweaty DJ", one of the @mrtickleuk favorites! The video is both hot and sharp looking!

https://youtu.be/KwleMSuezjY

I will be checking that video out tonight when I get home!

Amateur HT enthusiast.
post #30447 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked: 6594
Quote:
I think it surpases Sweaty and consigns him to the bin of history!

We're spoiled now with the riches of HDR posted on his Youtube channel so I don't tend to flag them up like I used to in the days when each one was a blue moon. But there are nice ones like his newly mastered version of Meridian
Spoiler!
and Cosmos Laundromat
Spoiler!

We're now also seeing proper genuine HDR videos showing clips of HDR gaming, so if you're into that:
Digital Foundry's YouTube channel with lots of HDR game footage
pg22 and The_Donster like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #30448 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good evening AVS, long time lurker here, decided to come out of hiding for a few things. First I wanted to say thanks to all the AVS forum members for all the great info, I use this site a lot and frequently recommend it to people.

So I'll get straight to the point, been enjoying my 55 Inch KS8000 all summer now, been gaming on it with the Xbox One S. Now I recently got the Xbox One X, and I wanted to post my settings. The main point I want to address is the Dynamic Contrast setting, I've done a ton of testing with HDR games and movies(just with my eyes I mean I don't have calibration equipment) and while I agree that Dynamic Contrast seems to make things look more vibrant overall, I've decided to leave it off because I noticed it definitely crushes whites.

One way to test this for yourself, if you have Gears of War 4(or any game that has a lot of white clouds), in Act 1 - The Raid, for example, go to an area where there is the sun shining through the white clouds and look up.....Now Swtich the Dynamic Contrast to Off and back to low and medium and you will see how turning it on hides some details of the smaller clouds, they vanish, as the Whites are crushed.

Game Mode On
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 97
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Digital clean/auto motion OFF
Smart LED : High
Color TOne WArm 2
White balance : Default setting
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto
Dynamic Contrast OFF

So yeah there is it, I am still kind of playing around with the Contrast I may put it back at 100 or go with 94, I notice it can make a difference, but I think I Will keep the Dynamic Contrast off for now. I also posted this because I did not see that many posts about the XOneX, figured some people might be wondering about settings, feel free to give feedback or post what you find is best for the XOneX. Cheers and keep up the great work people
LonestarROB, rjamali and Mohamad G like this.
post #30449 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
Biggest gripe for me is that we don't get the Steam Link app. It's available in like 95 countries but not Canada
Can you access Vimeo in Canada?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/...deo-support-8k

post #30450 of 36219 Old 11-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 106
FCC Approves ATSC 3.0 Standard

This is curious . . .

https://www.twice.com/product/fcc-approves-atsc-3-0-standard-next-gen-tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page