Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179763Likes

post #3061 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendarySushi View Post
I think you got the right idea. Don't do the electrical tape thing. Sometimes you get nasty sticky residue that'll transfer from your hands onto the screen, then you rub it with something, it gets worked in and stain your screen, blah blah you're stuck with the darn thing for life and are left heartbroken for all of eternity. No need to ghetto rig something you paid good money for. XD

Check the thing for picture quality. Remember that the replacement TV you get may good legs, but a worse panel. Always default to a better panel. Sorry I was being a dork earlier, but I wanted to illustrate my point. hahaha.

You could always just contact Samsung if the panel is good and ask them to send a repair man for the legs only. That kinda thing IS INDEED a manufacturing defect.

Hope it all works out nicely for you.

Thanks. The panel codes are all the same.

Most importantly I'd enjoy comparing the PQ to my HU8550, since the HU8550 has a pleasing natural picture. Have members here noted a substantial improvement in PQ in the KS8000/800D, or must one go to OLED to see good improvement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Question Just set up a new KS8000. Best settings ?

So far, not impressed. The sound and PQ is not as good as the HU8550. On the scanning startup Samsung also misspelled Sacramento, as "Sacremento". Not a big deal.

Where are the best settings for PQ and sound ?
silekonn likes this.
post #3063 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
Amazon annoyingly has 2 versions of MitJ. You are likely watching the regular HD version. You need to scroll down down down to the Ultra HD section. Once you play it though it should stay at the top, of shows to continue.
Ahhh no way! I kept forgetting to post about this but it has been bugging me since I got Prime a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the info.

Samsung UN65KS8500
Denon AVR-S710W
Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3064 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
There are a ton of repeat questions in this thread. I don't blame the posters since this thread is over 100 pages long already, but I'm sure we could make things a lot easier by adding a Q&A section at the top of this thread. If bluewhale1 doesn't want to do it, I'm happy to create a new thread and manage the first post, although I'm sure others would volunteer as well.

Thoughts?
post #3065 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
It takes time to load all of those Ads I thought my remote wasn't working last night when it wouldn't respond for 20 seconds.
No ads for me. Turn them off.
Where is that in the settings layzzzee8? I definitely want that turned off once I set it up. PeninsulaMark, contact Samsung and see if they'll send you some replacement legs or mount it on the wall if possible. I wouldn't mess around with tape on a tv for the reasons others pointed out

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3066 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It takes time to load all of those Ads I thought my remote wasn't working last night when it wouldn't respond for 20 seconds.
No ads for me. Turn them off.
Where is that in the settings layzzzee8? I definitely want that turned off once I set it up. PeninsulaMark, contact Samsung and see if they'll send you some replacement legs or mount it on the wall if possible. I wouldn't mess around with tape on a tv for the reasons others pointed out
When you first set up the TV it asks you to approve three different options. One of them is smartsense marketing. After that it's buried in one of the settings. I can't tell you without being in front of the TV. Try googling it or searching my previous posts. It's in this thread somewhere.
The_Donster likes this.
post #3067 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
If you do a smart hub reset, it will ask you again to accept the terms to the ads. It doesn't reset any tv settings except for sign ins for the apps which are in the smart hub.
post #3068 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12565 Post(s)
Liked: 11742
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
So far, not impressed. The sound and PQ is not as good as the HU8550. On the scanning startup Samsung also misspelled Sacramento, as "Sacremento". Not a big deal.

I owned the hu8550, it was the least impressive tv of all the 4k tv's I've owned, which I believe is up to 6 now. So I find something "off" with your evaluations of tvs after you claiming the js8500 was inferior last year and now the ks8000.
post #3069 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I owned the hu8550, it was the least impressive tv of all the 4k tv's I've owned, which I believe is up to 6 now. So I find something "off" with your evaluations of tvs after you claiming the js8500 was inferior last year and now the ks8000.

I'm referring to out of the box... the default picture and sound. On the KS8000 the sound is totally muffled and lacks realism. The PQ of the KS8000 is maybe 50% of the adjusted HU8550.

Now seeking and will apply recommended settings, then I'll take pictures of the HU8550 next to the KS8000 fed from the same antenna source.

Should I use these? http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
post #3070 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Good point. Problem is my ignorance on whether or not this is simply a structural issue or is it related to some nearby electronics and/or does it represent a hidden problem with the set. It is a nuisance to have to remember that the leg will fall out. Thought about wrapping electrical tape around the insertion blade to provide friction, but that could void the warranty and make the leg difficult to remove in the future.

Will turn on the set within 48 hours to see if the set works. Would like to compare the PQ to the HU8550.

In can't believe this discussion. I had the exact same issue, left leg loose and may fall out if I lift the set. Right leg is snug, but neither has any locking mechanism. I thought nothing of the issue. The weather, humidity, pressure all may influence if the leg is snug or a bit loose. It could change over time. If you don't want to take any chance on the leg falling out I have no issue with electrical tape. One or two neat wraps. I see no reason why the tape would get messy, why it would void your warranty or why you would be messing with your screen with a sticky finger. Enjoy the set and don't worry about nonissues.
post #3071 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
In can't believe this discussion. I had the exact same issue, left leg loose and may fall out if I lift the set. Right leg is snug, but neither has any locking mechanism. I thought nothing of the issue. The weather, humidity, pressure all may influence if the leg is snug or a bit loose. It could change over time. If you don't want to take any chance on the leg falling out I have no issue with electrical tape. One or two neat wraps. I see no reason why the tape would get messy, why it would void your warranty or why you would be messing with your screen with a sticky finger. Enjoy the set and don't worry about nonissues.

In part you are correct. It depends upon the reason the leg is loose, and whether or not other internal components might be defective. You and I had the same leg loose... very loose. Poor QC.

A bigger question is will inserting foreign material inside the space of electrical components be an excuse for Samsung to void the warranty.

Defects in design and/or manufacture are perfectly fine to discuss here, so why cannot you believe in this topic?
post #3072 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
There are a ton of repeat questions in this thread. I don't blame the posters since this thread is over 100 pages long already, but I'm sure we could make things a lot easier by adding a Q&A section at the top of this thread. If bluewhale1 doesn't want to do it, I'm happy to create a new thread and manage the first post, although I'm sure others would volunteer as well.

Thoughts?
Please put one together. I love that this forum has so much activity and useful information!

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
post #3073 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I'm referring to out of the box... the default picture and sound. On the KS8000 the sound is totally muffled and lacks realism. The PQ of the KS8000 is maybe 50% of the adjusted HU8550.

Now seeking and will apply recommended settings, then I'll take pictures of the HU8550 next to the KS8000 fed from the same antenna source.

Thing about PQ is it is quite subjective. I don't have a HU8550 so I can't make any comparisons. While I personally could afford an OLED TV (you mentioned OLED in a previous post replying to me) I just won't buy something that burns in like that as I do a lot of gaming on my TVs. (those static energy bars, stat meters, maps, etc.) For people who watch varied content I'm sure OLED is great, but I'm a good example of someone who'd probably get some burn in quickly. There's the issue of the darn things turning color after a while too. I know they've improved lots, but after seeing a PS Vita with a brown screen at a best buy here in NYC I'm scared. (hahah the thing has been on 24/7 for a couple years at least.)

Considering that I've looked around and in my case of trying to get a 55" TV I narrowed it down to three choices. The X850D, the P55C1 and the KS8500 I got. I actually went through a X850D and returned it because the blacks were poor. I then got a KS8500 and I'm happy with it. While I didn't get a chance to experience the P55C1, I think I'll be fine with the Samsung. The 7000:1 contrast ratio that was reported on Rtings.com is very believable. Colors and contrast really do feel several times greater than an IPS screen like the X850D. Of course, it won't compare to an OLED, but I think it's the closest we'll get for now using a traditional LCD/LED panel screen.

If you just got the set I'd tinker around with the settings a bit. If still not satisfied then yeah... go for the OLED.
Terminader likes this.
post #3074 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
As I said, keep scrolling down. A lot. It's there. Might want to have a beer while you scroll
Or just type 4k in the search box. takes you right to them.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
post #3075 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, my much loved Panasonic VT50 went on an extended vacation this week. Looking at a repair but prepared for a new purchase. I had a few questions regarding the UN65KS8000 and would appreciate user guidance:

1) Besides the slightly darker bezel (gun metal vs. chrome) and price, are there any other differences between the Costco and Best Buy/other retailer versions? I lean towards Costco as its marginally cheaper, but also bumps up the warranty and easy for returns

2) Any preferences on versions? In Costco, they had both AA02 and FA01 versions. I understand this indicates panel manufacturer - I've tried to research but wondered if users know of any performance improvements of one vs. the other

3) Is motion blur/judder an issue? I'm coming from a plasma, and watch a lot of soccer on DirecTV - basically i'm looking for a smooth picture without having to use too much post processing tech.

For what its worth, the Best Buy salesman was pushing LG heavily (8500), followed by Sony. He did not rate Samsung. Personally, it looks like a kid built the frame of the LG, and Sony is a little more expensive for what looks like comparable performance. OLED is out of my price range - any buyers remorse here or a model that is worth considering (I don't see the benefit of KS9000 over KS8000, prefer flat).
post #3076 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
In part you are correct. It depends upon the reason the leg is loose, and whether or not other internal components might be defective. You and I had the same leg loose... very loose. Poor QC.

A bigger question is will inserting foreign material inside the space of electrical components be an excuse for Samsung to void the warranty.

Defects in design and/or manufacture are perfectly fine to discuss here, so why cannot you believe in this topic?

No offense intended. I'm a real picky SOB but never thought twice about the leg. I was surprised there was no way to secure them (every other set has screws), but once I realized that Samsung was trying to keep things simple, I had no problem. This is not a portable TV. The idea is to get the leg in place and set the TV in it's spot...probably until the time you're ready to replace the set. The leg is obviously supposed to be held in place by friction, but not so much that you can't pull the leg out. It's a tiny tolerance. As I said, things like humidity can affect such things as can temp (metal expands with heat). I wouldn't be surprised if your loose leg isn't so loose in a year or two. Plainly there are no serious electronic components in the leg hole, so no worries about a meaningful defect nor any reason not to give a wrap of electrical tape for a snug fit if you wish. My best guess is the leg is a fraction to thin or the hole a fraction too wide. Definitely nothing to worry about.
post #3077 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Thoughts?
If someone can post the things that should be in the first post i will copy and paste it.
post #3078 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
Press right on your control and it will select the ads on top. Press right again and it will select the first movie in your Amazon Prime listing. After that, keep pressing down to see more categories. It is like 15-16 down.... you get to the Ultra HD section. There's Ultra HD Movies and TV with Prime and Ultra HD Movies and TV to buy. Pick Mozart in the Jungle from that category. The movie will say Mozart in the Jungle [Ultra HD] Episode 1. If you don't have [Ultra HD] in the title itself, you are not playing the 4K HDR version.
Thanks! Precisely what I was looking for. You would never guess that section is there. I was actually looking on the website with no success. Between knowing you need to be in movie mode and finding content, it seems only AVS member will get to see HDR in the near term. Thanks again.
post #3079 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Take a picture them side by side, let's see.
post #3080 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I had the 8550 as well and from the jump KS8000 had a better picture in my opinion. it's more vivid and colors are richer. and judder is handled so much cleaner. Sold my 8550 to my buddy and he digs it but also was like wow..when he saw the KS playing some bluray stuff.
post #3081 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxFuturexX View Post
Quote:
If you are planning on mounting your TV, then I'd recommend getting these screws a head of time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00917MSJE..._3T-GxbMZMJRP6

Or make sure your mount comes with screws this long. Mine didn't. M8, 45mm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I agree, I bought mine at Home Depot, they had the allen key versions here in-stock cheap $1.84 for 2pack. I liked tightening with the allen key vs a screw driver.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...3438/204281936
You need the 45mm bolts. The manual specifically calls for these and to be used with the spacers that come with the TV. I tried using 35mm bolts with my mount so that the TV would sit closer to the wall but the spacers the mounts come with don't fit into the holes on the back of the TV where the bolts go in. So either the bolts won't fit or you don't use the spacers. If you don't use the spacers then the brackets for the mount are loose.
Hey guys. It has been quite some time since I've mounted a television so I want to make sure the one I have will work? Picked 4 up like the one pictured below from a local store but didn't realize the thread didn't go all the way up. I'm kind of feeling I won't have any issues being that I don't want it going too far into the television, but thought I'd double check with you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M8 45MM.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1542401  

post #3082 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
If someone can post the things that should be in the first post i will copy and paste it.
1. The measurements / width of the legs

2. The top edge light bleed issue due to technology

3. AA02 vs F

4. Input lag for gamers / pcs

5 most recent firmware update number
post #3083 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
I had the 8550 as well and from the jump KS8000 had a better picture in my opinion. it's more vivid and colors are richer. and judder is handled so much cleaner. Sold my 8550 to my buddy and he digs it but also was like wow..when he saw the KS playing some bluray stuff.

Then mine needs serious adjusting or is defective. Picture is milky and blurry, but have not changed anything from default. The sound is as if it's buried in blankets. Looking for a splitter now.
post #3084 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Hey guys. It has been quite some time since I've mounted a television so I want to make sure the one I have will work? Picked 4 up like the one pictured below from a local store but didn't realize the thread didn't go all the way up. I'm kind of feeling I won't have any issues being that I don't want it going too far into the television, but thought I'd double check with you guys.
FYI, the suggested length was too short for me when i mounted with the provided spacers. I ended up using my old adapters. I have a Monoprice Titan Swivel Mount.
post #3085 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Then mine needs serious adjusting or is defective. Picture is milky and blurry, but have not changed anything from default. The sound is as if it's buried in blankets. Looking for a splitter now.
I never did the Evolution Kit for my 8550 however. But it was the TV i replaced this with back in March.
post #3086 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3089 View Post
Hey guys new member here and I had a question for all you KS8000 owners.

I currently own a 55" 930D, however I have been seriously considering getting a 65"KS8000 as I feel the 55" is too small for me. The reason I'm considering an 8000 over getting the 930D in a 65" is because I have a samsung accommodation and I can get the KS8000 for $1395 brand new at BB. If I go for the 65"930D that will cost me about $2800 plus tax.

Do you guys think it would be a smart move to go from a 930d to an 8000? The reason I'm not considering the 9000 is because from what I've read it doesn't really offer much more then the 8000 to warrant spending the extra $$.

I'll be using my TV to watch Directv(eventually I'll be subscribing to their 4K channel package), watch my Blu-rays, and play my Xbone and PS4.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...any advise is appreciated.
Given that you can get a price break wouldn't it make sense to pick up the 8000 instead of the 930D? That alone would make me pick it up. With the exception of DirectTV, I plan on doing about the same thing, streaming, gaming and movie watching. Which is why I picked it up. If I could have picked it up at the price you are saying I'd have made the decision a long time ago. I've been torturing myself for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Or just type 4k in the search box. takes you right to them.
Cool, nice to know. I'm not sure if it will pop up on my free trial, but I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Cool, thanks, that would be great. The P Series gang seemed to have something great for all us newcomers in their thread. Here's some of my suggestions, but I need to go back and re-read the thread to get caught up. I'll update or pm you if I have anymore suggestions.

Mounting suggestions
Picture settings
How to access HDR programing
How to turn off the Samsung light

post #3087 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
FYI, the suggested length was too short for me when i mounted with the provided spacers. I ended up using my old adapters. I have a Monoprice Titan Swivel Mount.
Well now I'm wondering if I can use the spacers that come with the actual mount? I guess I'll find out once I get it on the wall. I need to schedule my window for delivery soon. Looking like another week or so.

post #3088 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Having no thread up top won't make any difference. I think you mentioned you have a Sanus mount from Costco. That is what I used and the spacers that came with the TV worked fine with the 45mm bolts and that mount.
The_Donster likes this.
post #3089 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Unhappy Simultaneous pictures KS800D (default) vs. HU8550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Raz View Post
Take a picture them side by side, let's see.
Okay. Simultaneous pictures KS800D (default) vs. HU8550 (per my prior calibration settings)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6187test.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1542705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6188test.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1542713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6189test.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1542721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6199test.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1542729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6200test.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1542737  

Name:	IMG_6201test.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1542745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6202test.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1542753  
post #3090 of 36412 Old 07-12-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
Well, my much loved Panasonic VT50 went on an extended vacation this week. Looking at a repair but prepared for a new purchase. I had a few questions regarding the UN65KS8000 and would appreciate user guidance:

1) Besides the slightly darker bezel (gun metal vs. chrome) and price, are there any other differences between the Costco and Best Buy/other retailer versions? I lean towards Costco as its marginally cheaper, but also bumps up the warranty and easy for returns

2) Any preferences on versions? In Costco, they had both AA02 and FA01 versions. I understand this indicates panel manufacturer - I've tried to research but wondered if users know of any performance improvements of one vs. the other

3) Is motion blur/judder an issue? I'm coming from a plasma, and watch a lot of soccer on DirecTV - basically i'm looking for a smooth picture without having to use too much post processing tech.

For what its worth, the Best Buy salesman was pushing LG heavily (8500), followed by Sony. He did not rate Samsung. Personally, it looks like a kid built the frame of the LG, and Sony is a little more expensive for what looks like comparable performance. OLED is out of my price range - any buyers remorse here or a model that is worth considering (I don't see the benefit of KS9000 over KS8000, prefer flat).
I purchased an 8000 last week, I still have my VT50 upstairs in the gameroom. The 8000 does some things better but it will take some getting used to. We had a U50 up in the living before the 8000, which was a "lower" end plasma. Yet form a performance standpoint, it was still better in many ways to the 8000. Motion was especially better, more natural, far smoother on the plasma without soap opera effect. The 8000 is a lot brighter and after dropping in the settings from rtings it made a massive difference in picture quality and brought in more inline with my self calibrated plasmas. The 8000 on 4k content is pretty impressive. Black levels will not be as good as the VT50 but they are better than anticipated and it's only in dim lighting that you can begin to see the glow (at least on my panel).

If you do a lot of sports the sony motion handling is probably going to make a big difference to you. However, the lower contrast ratios would be a concern if your room is bright...pick your poison I guess :\

Overall the 8000 is a good set and it looks good no matter how bright my room is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page