Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1037 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179943Likes

post #31081 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Ecs View Post
And here some color shades.
It becomes annoying when there are clear images and panning from left to right.
Yesteday I saw GrandTour S2 in HDR on Prime, and also there I noticed it a couple of times when there was a sky or grass green images
PS: I swithched 1y ago from the Kuro KRP-500M to the european 65KS8000
Out of curiosity.... can you set Smart Led on OFF and take the same pictures?
I have a similar problem in some bright HDR scenes and i thought it was banding.. until i turned off Smart Led and it disappeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31082 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abex81 View Post
Out of curiosity.... can you set Smart Led on OFF and take the same pictures?
I have a similar problem in some bright HDR scenes and i thought it was banding.. until i turned off Smart Led and it disappeared.
All image processing is turned off, so also Smart Led is OFF on these pictures.
The plane pictures have a 1080I input signal
And the colors are 2160P60 4K (
)

Off course the reference image Samsung is using (added) has barely notice of this banding, and it isn't panning.
So they said to me, barely noticeable and in spec, but they can not (or do not) want to provide the spec.

Very disappointing situation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6265.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	972.7 KB
ID:	2327966   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6387.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	2327968  
post #31083 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniffer View Post
I have one set of settings for HDMI1 sources and a distinct set for HDMI2 sources. But when I am using a Smart Hub app (like YouTube or Netflix) what set of settings are being used? How can I quickly modify the current settings (such as brightness) when I am watching a video using the Smart Hub apps? Sounds like a dumb question, but I don't see a set of settings except for each of the HDMI inputs, which I am not using when using an "app".
While you’re streaming content you can access the PICTURE SETTINGS menu and set the picture mode and its various values to whatever you find most pleasing to your eye. These settings are retained in memory and recalled whenever you launch the Smart Hub apps. They are independent of the settings for the particular input you happen to be on when you launch an app.
jeep05 likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31084 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 7395
Quote:
I have one set of settings for HDMI1 sources and a distinct set for HDMI2 sources. But when I am using a Smart Hub app (like YouTube or Netflix) what set of settings are being used?
As @Rudy1 has said - another different set, for the Apps/USB playback. Think of it as "HDMI5" if it helps. It doesn't have a name in the menus.

Just like the Live TV tuner settings though, it is included if you select "Apply Picture Settings" to "All Sources".

Quote:
How can I quickly modify the current settings (such as brightness) when I am watching a video using the Smart Hub apps? Sounds like a dumb question, but I don't see a set of settings except for each of the HDMI inputs, which I am not using when using an "app".
Home -> Settings -> Picture -> Expert settings, from inside an app, will be adjusting the Apps/USB playback set of settings. As always you can apply those changes either to only the "current source" (the Apps/USB playback), or "All Sources".
jeep05 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #31085 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Off course the reference image Samsung is using (added) has barely notice of this banding, and it isn't panning.
So they said to me, barely noticeable and in spec, but they can not (or do not) want to provide the spec.

I know you are disappointed, but please understand that this is inherent in LED/LCD TVs, as LordAlfred explained (very well) in his first reply to you. At this price-point, you can't be certain there will be none of it. I think I have some too. If you want zero banding, the only option is OLED. Then with that, you'll pay double, and be at risk of screen burn-in etc.

We do not have any flatscreen TV technology on sale today which is free of defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfred View Post
Banding is usually used to describe a uniformity defect in which horizontal or vertical regions of the screen are ever-so-slightly brighter or darker than other areas. These "bands" are often visible during slow panning shots over uniform terrain or sky, but are usually unnoticeable during close-ups, still scenes, or quick action. AFAIK, this is not a common issue with the KS8000, and in fact the low incidence of banding and DSE is what attracted me to this model. No set is perfect, and even my set has some slight uniformity issues along the bottom edge, but I've tried enough sets to know it's very, very common among LED/LCD sets and getting a "perfect" panel is near-impossible. If it bothers you, then it's not acceptable, but just be aware that most LCD TVs have some uniformity issues.
maximuslcd, Terminader and Ti Ecs like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #31086 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephCast View Post
I am having an issue with my AppleTV 4K, HDR Movies, and Subtitles.

I've noticed on my Apple TV 4k that the black levels keep shifting when a subtitle appears and disappears. This is when watching 4k HDR content. I am using a Samsung KS800D and I've turned off all dynamic contrast and smart LED featires, so it's not the TV. I tested using a 4k Blu ray with subtitles on my Xbox One X, and it didn't have an issue at all. Check out these two videos I took.

What picture preset are you using? If you're using Movie, try Standard with the same settings and see if it has the same problem.
Movie preset with HDR content has some kind of undefeatable "motion lightning" eco setting.

It can also be the tv's global dimming working. This can be defeated, but only through the service menu.

Last edited by notadrummer; 12-09-2017 at 05:00 AM.
post #31087 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
It sounds there is some HDMI-CEC handshake problems. I would suggest to bypass the ARC altogether. Disable HDMI-CEC on your Soundbar and TV, move the Soundbar to HDMI 1-3, and use SPDIF (Optical cable) to connect the TV to the Soundbar for sound.
Thanks for your reply. It did as you suggested but still video doesn't work.
At the moment i connected my ps4 on hdmi1 and the soundbar on hdmi 4. It's better than nothing i guess.
I am thinking of returning the LG and buy a Samsung one.
post #31088 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Did anyone notice if this message has always been there regarding Samsung TVs requiring a firmware update to support Blue Planet 2 in 4K on BBC iPlayer?

Still only lists the 2017 models however
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A19F60F2-9491-40E0-88D8-F110B793CF90_1512825216197.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	2327996  
post #31089 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
All image processing is turned off, so also Smart Led is OFF on these pictures.
The plane pictures have a 1080I input signal
And the colors are 2160P60 4K (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsCprsVJaQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I know you are disappointed, but please understand that this is inherent in LED/LCD TVs, as LordAlfred explained (very well) in his first reply to you. At this price-point, you can't be certain there will be none of it. I think I have some too. If you want zero banding, the only option is OLED. Then with that, you'll pay double, and be at risk of screen burn-in etc.

We do not have any flatscreen TV technology on sale today which is free of defects.
OLEDs can have banding issues too I've seen them, I don't think they are caused by the same thing but they can happen. Possibly it was more of a black/grey uniformity issue which I know OLEDs can be prone to.

Basically to reiterate what they're saying, there's no such thing as a perfect TV. Even the $30,000+ mastering monitors have their flaws, so just roll the panel lottery dice and keep the one with the fewest flaws you can live with.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #31090 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnSpaulding View Post
Did anyone notice if this message has always been there regarding Samsung TVs requiring a firmware update to support Blue Planet 2 in 4K on BBC iPlayer?

See post

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55280892
Terminader and CaptnSpaulding like this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #31091 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnSpaulding View Post

Right. That's definitely a new message and I can confirm it didn't used to be there - well spotted!

So that means they've accidentally-on-purpose misunderstood @blenky 's tweet, and they didn't answer his question, and we aren't any further forward on getting them to add the 2016 models to the "supports HLG" list on their streaming servers (not just that help page) which they can do without Samsung's involvement anyway!

ps The BBC and Samsung are still ignoring all of my tweets.

pps. There are lots of duplicates in the BBC's table! There are only 53 different Philips models, not 89 - many listed twice. And the Sony KD-65XE7005 is listed twice too.
CaptnSpaulding likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.
post #31092 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right. That's definitely a new message and I can confirm it didn't used to be there - well spotted!

So that means they've accidentally-on-purpose misunderstood @blenky 's tweet, and they didn't answer his question, and we aren't any further forward on getting them to add the 2016 models to the "supports HLG" list on their streaming servers (not just that help page) which they can do without Samsung's involvement anyway!

ps The BBC and Samsung are still ignoring all of my tweets.
Not sure what you mean by not answering my question. I asked:

"Can you confirm that the 2016 KS line of TV's will be able to play the BBC iPlayer Planet Earth 2 4K HDR presentation from 10/12?"

They answered:

"Thanks for enquiring, Stephen. We're working with the app provider and hope to have it set up in time. If you need anything else, let us know."

They answered it as I was specific about the model and year. However saying that if they are referring to already announced 2017 models who knows!

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #31093 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Not sure what you mean by not answering my question. I asked:

"Can you confirm that the 2016 KS line of TV's will be able to play the BBC iPlayer Planet Earth 2 4K HDR presentation from 10/12?"

They answered:

"Thanks for enquiring, Stephen. We're working with the app provider and hope to have it set up in time. If you need anything else, let us know."

They answered it as I was specific about the model and year. However saying that if they are referring to already announced 2017 models who knows!
Yes. I'm saying that I think that they just saw it was something about "Samsung", knew about this alleged new firmware for 2017 models, and gave you the boilerplate answer without giving the clarity we wanted. Notice how the words "yes" "KS" and "2016" are all missing from their answer?

I thought it was odd before that they said "app provider" when they themselves, the BBC, are the ones who have written the iPlayer app. "We're working with ourselves"! Also, we already knew we can play HLG. Clips from USB sticks that is, so it is possible that a firmware change is needed for HLG to work inside apps.

We have until the end of January before the series will be removed from iPlayer so tomorrow is not a deadline. Their idea that they "hope to have a new firmware" (if it is firmware) in 3 days flat is laughable, we here know it's several weeks testing between build date and release date for a start :-)
Rudy1 and Chuck Ebby like this.

post #31094 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. I'm saying that I think that they just saw it was something about "Samsung", knew about this alleged new firmware for 2017 models, and gave you the boilerplate answer without giving the clarity we wanted. Notice how the words "yes" "KS" and "2016" are all missing from their answer?

I thought it was odd before that they said "app provider" when they themselves, the BBC, are the ones who have written the iPlayer app. "We're working with ourselves"! Also, we already knew we can play HLG. Clips from USB sticks that is, so it is possible that a firmware change is needed for HLG to work inside apps.

We have until the end of January before the series will be removed from iPlayer so tomorrow is not a deadline. Their idea that they "hope to have a new firmware" (if it is firmware) in 3 days flat is laughable, we here know it's several weeks testing between build date and release date for a start :-)
True enough. We can dream
Chuck Ebby and mrtickleuk like this.

post #31095 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Liked: 1
I recently got a Ks9000 in Mexico. The latest firmware available here is 1207.2. Is it possible to download the US or European firmware update from the website and install it on my set?
post #31096 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just posting here to inform that the backlight issues I had with subtitles + HDR are gone after fw 1208. When subs came up they would get insanely bright and the rest of the image would dim by a noticeable amount.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #31097 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maur?cio T Puga View Post
Just posting here to inform that the backlight issues I had with subtitles + HDR are gone after fw 1208. When subs came up they would get insanely bright and the rest of the image would dim by a noticeable amount.
This is exactly what I want to fix.

Did you install the update from another region?
post #31098 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Has anyone seen any movement on updating the 2016 KS series to the 2017 Tizen OS that was reported Q1-2?
post #31099 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Unhappy

Hello my TV 49KS8500 have this stains what are those and what should i do ?

Spoiler!

Last edited by ReflexAction; 12-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #31100 of 36648 Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weymaster View Post
I recently got a Ks9000 in Mexico. The latest firmware available here is 1207.2. Is it possible to download the US or European firmware update from the website and install it on my set?
Hiya and welcome. There is lots of helpful information in the first page of the thread and the FAQ there.

I think you have the same chassis as the US models, T-JZMAKUC? You can check this on the TV's menus pages in Support/Contact Samsung.

All the 2016 models (9000, 8000, 7000, 6000 etc) all share the same basic firmware and there are actually only 3 different chassis.
  1. T-JZMDEUC, sold across Europe, CIS and parts of Middle East and North Africa.
  2. T-JZMUABC, sold in Australia, Asia Pacific, other parts of Middle East and North Africa, and Latin America
  3. T-JZMAKUC, sold in Canada and South Korea. Oh, and America.

So if you do have T-JZMAKUC then yes you can install USA firmware because it will be the same exact T-JZMAKUC file that is downloaded.

You can download the firmware for a different model (9000, 8000, 7000, 6000 etc) and install for your chassis if you can find it on any of the international Samsung web support pages. If the chassis is wrong this will not cause any harm - it will just refuse to install it when you try.

post #31101 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by weymaster View Post
This is exactly what I want to fix.

Did you install the update from another region?
It's availlable on the Europe Samsung site since a few weeks.

http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/model/UE55KS7000SXXN#
Rudy1 likes this.
post #31102 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's here! We finally - after a year of YouTube refusing - have our HDR search filter on YouTube!

Now it's possible to find "HDR" content which is actually in HDR, no more finding the haystack when we wanted a needle.

To celebrate here's the first new HLG upload I found

Rudy1, dogday, cydeweyz and 7 others like this.

post #31103 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's here! We finally - after a year of YouTube refusing - have our HDR search filter on YouTube!

Now it's possible to find "HDR" content which is actually in HDR, no more finding the haystack when we wanted a needle.
Nice. Wasn't there a way in setting to overlay with debug info to see frame rate, type of HDR etc. Can't seem to find it.

post #31104 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Nice. Wasn't there a way in setting to overlay with debug info to see frame rate, type of HDR etc. Can't seem to find it.
Yes. Whilst playing press pause, then move left to enable "more options", then move to the far right "bug" option called "stats for nerds" and enable it. HTH

I just wish it was displayed in one corner instead of slap bang in the middle!

post #31105 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all,

Im newish to this forum (have used it to find tips on TV settings, and been following for the HDR game mode updates) and I was hoping I could seek some help as to whether or not an issue Ive experienced with my KS8000 since I got it is a fault or normal.

When viewing mainly grey screens I get this bleed through effect of like a pink/purple colour through the middle of the display. I have performed a TV reset but still occurs. Running firmware 1208.2 currently.

Im also experiencing an issue where the display will flash black on and off when viewing/recently viewing HDR content which I have a support ticket open with samsung with incase theres a fault with my OneConnect box or display logic board, but if Im going to need a repair Id like to get this addressed too.

ive attached photos of this - sources are an xbox one x and a ps4 pro. Also had issues with a normal PS4 and xbox one S.

Ive tried searching for the issue but had no luck - might just be using the wroth search terms.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6393.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	2328746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6391.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	516.7 KB
ID:	2328748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6390.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	724.9 KB
ID:	2328750  
post #31106 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinawig View Post
Hi all,

Im newish to this forum (have used it to find tips on TV settings, and been following for the HDR game mode updates) and I was hoping I could seek some help as to whether or not an issue Ive experienced with my KS8000 since I got it is a fault or normal.

When viewing mainly grey screens I get this bleed through effect of like a pink/purple colour through the middle of the display. I have performed a TV reset but still occurs. Running firmware 1208.2 currently.

Im also experiencing an issue where the display will flash black on and off when viewing/recently viewing HDR content which I have a support ticket open with samsung with incase theres a fault with my OneConnect box or display logic board, but if Im going to need a repair Id like to get this addressed too.

ive attached photos of this - sources are an xbox one x and a ps4 pro. Also had issues with a normal PS4 and xbox one S.

Ive tried searching for the issue but had no luck - might just be using the wroth search terms.

Cheers
I know this isn't the best of news but I had this same issue (green/pink) on a Panny Plasma and the tech that came to look at it said the panel was dying and condemned the TV. This combined with the other issue you are having, the panel might be done.
post #31107 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

. . . Im also experiencing an issue where the display will flash black on and off when viewing/recently viewing HDR content which I have a support ticket open with samsung with incase theres a fault with my OneConnect box or display logic board, but if Im going to need a repair Id like to get this addressed too. . . .
I just updated to 1209 (off the Korean site) and it started the On/Off Black and back thing and I pulled the plug for a minute, as I always do and one should do after a firmware update, and that stopped the On/Off thing. Color and sharpness seem to be a bit off now though.

Anyone heard what this update is suppose to do?
post #31108 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
I know this isn't the best of news but I had this same issue (green/pink) on a Panny Plasma and the tech that came to look at it said the panel was dying and condemned the TV. This combined with the other issue you are having, the panel might be done.
Alright thank you. Ill continue to wait to see what Samsung have to say after reviewing photos I sent them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
I just updated to 1209 (off the Korean site) and it started the On/Off Black and back thing and I pulled the plug for a minute, as I always do and one should do after a firmware update, and that stopped the On/Off thing. Color and sharpness seem to be a bit off now though.

Anyone heard what this update is suppose to do?
Youre saying I should entirely shut down the unit by disconnecting power each time a firmware update is performed? I havent done that in quite some time - always turn off the unit with the remote, never at the wall.
post #31109 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
. . . Youre saying I should entirely shut down the unit by disconnecting power each time a firmware update is performed? I havent done that in quite some time - always turn off the unit with the remote, never at the wall.
Yup. For a count of at least a minute. That fixed the black outs on mine. For once I didn't pull the power because I wasn't in the mood to climb behind my set. So I had to do it when I started having problems as a first step of diagnosis.

Some electronics say to do it for up to 10 minutes or more. But that all depends on what type of device it is and if the manufacturer has any special instructions. My AVR is a full power disconnect for 5 minutes. Some of my routers require to be reset to factory settings and a 30-30-30 (seconds) power on/power off/power on while holding the reset button. So there are many variations that circulate in the electronics world.
post #31110 of 36648 Old 12-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
Yup. For a count of at least a minute. That fixed the black outs on mine. For once I didn't pull the power because I wasn't in the mood to climb behind my set. So I had to do it when I started having problems as a first step of diagnosis.

Some electronics say to do it for up to 10 minutes or more. But that all depends on what type of device it is and if the manufacturer has any special instructions. My AVR is a full power disconnect for 5 minutes. Some of my routers require to be reset to factory settings and a 30-30-30 (seconds) power on/power off/power on while holding the reset button. So there are many variations that circulate in the electronics world.
Is this basically to ensure that all power is discharged from every component allowing for a proper cold boot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s