Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1045 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179696Likes

post #31321 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hey buddy, like myself and others have mentioned - Samsung support is HORRRIBLE especially when it comes to this tv. If you read my story above you'll see that Samsug came out 3 times and each time my tv got progressively worse, and now It barely turns on anymore lol.

All I can do is laugh about it now though.

If I was you, I would call support and have them come look at it. Demand it to be fixed. They won't fix it though. Call them again. Once they come out twice you're eligible for a repair or a replacement. Have them buy you a new tv. Good luck
I did read your story and man... I've had similar experiences in the past with other products/companies and it really is more draining/stressful than people think. This is the main thing that worries me about getting someone to look at/fix my TV... what if they screw it up even more :/

I'm gonna sit with the light bleed for a bit more and see if I just get used to it unless they offer to send someone over. At least I have a 5 year warranty with the place I purchased it from if it gets worse in the future. Still annoying considering how much I paid for this, and there's a £250 Samsung TV in the house with no light bleed issues after 4 years lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31322 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaye View Post
I did read your story and man... I've had similar experiences in the past with other products/companies and it really is more draining/stressful than people think. This is the main thing that worries me about getting someone to look at/fix my TV... what if they screw it up even more :/

I'm gonna sit with the light bleed for a bit more and see if I just get used to it unless they offer to send someone over. At least I have a 5 year warranty with the place I purchased it from if it gets worse in the future. Still annoying considering how much I paid for this, and there's a £250 Samsung TV in the house with no light bleed issues after 4 years lol.
Hey I'm with you 100% man. I have a 9 year old Plasma with zero defects whatsoever, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

That's awesome that you have the extra warranty - if you didn't have that - I'd say call them immediately in hopes of them coming out a few times before your warranty is up.

And yes like you mentioned - it's draining and stressful as hell. From taking off work and losing money, to arguing for literal hours on the phone, to getting lied to by various agents on the phone, to having a broken/malfunctioning television - to my girlfriend thinking I"m absolutely nutty because I talk to Samsung everyday on the phone - it's quite maddening!

But I have hope...everythings going to be okay...

Samsung actually sent me an update on my refund today...I'm still not happy until I hear exact days and times though..

Good morning,

Your transaction is in processing with our refunds department. They will be reaching out to you to confirm the transaction and they will send the pickup request to the trucking company for pick up of the unit. The trucking company will contact you directly to schedule a date and time for pick up. I hope this is helpful.

Respectfully,

Aimee

So I wrote back demanding exact times and dates so we will see..
Abex81 likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #31323 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsar123 View Post
I have same problem with PC mode HDR. Sad, samsung doesn't care about their pc mode hdr implementation. Just look at rtings Q or MU reviews. PC mode HDR was broken for a long time. I guess -they won't fix it for KS series.
So it affects the KS8000 series as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31324 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Bye guys. I've had it up to HERE with this TV and Samsung is going to give me $1200 ($400 less than I paid for it) and I'm going to get the 900e.

Between the light bleed, the discoulation that I experienced, the burnt out pixels and now the intermittent shut off issue that Samsung created - I'm done.

Still am/was pretty upset that Samsung is only giving me $1200 to account for depreciation because my TV is out of warranty, even though they've extended it, and even though when I first called about my issues - it was under warranty. But long story - by the time they came out 4 times - it's now out of warranty.

Anyways - I hear the 900e is a great TV and I'm looking forward to the Full Array backlight. I might miss the brightness and punchiness of the colours of the Samsung but I've got to go.

Live on all, and perhaps I'll see you in another Samsung life in the future..
I have owned both the KS8500 and X900E and can say without a doubt that both sets are fantastic.

The Samsung offered better contrast and higher peak brightness, but the X900E for me has better picture processing and performance in gaming with less color banding in HDR.

I have an Old Samsung plasma from 2011 going out at the moment and will be grabbing another X900E to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Rudy1, Terminader, ray0414 and 2 others like this.
post #31325 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by georaldc View Post
So it affects the KS8000 series as well?
I have to say, having read all of this thread (not sure if that's something to be proud of or not, but I have!) I can't remember much about that before your post about it. But clearly it's an issue for you and carsar123, so that's two. I don't use my TV connected to a HDR-capable PC for gaming. The times I've managed to get it into HDR mode when in PC-input-type settings was mainly for testing the 4:4:4 chroma, and it was a right faff.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #31326 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
WOW, lots to catch up on. I've been preoccupied with personal stuff and haven't been keeping up with the forum lately. Glad to hear you are finally getting squared away @javan robinson . I've heard good things about the Sony you are considering. New owners, The Owners PDF (and previous FAQ) and Search this thread were created for a reason. To help fellow owners and reduce the amount of repetitive questions being ask and answered in the thread. For those chomping at the bit about the firmware (or lack of) updates? Be a little more patient and show some restraint. You've waited this long, you can wait a little bit longer. Hell, I waited 2-3 months before I finally received my first update after becoming a new owner a year and a half ago. Most of all, stop attacking fellow members who are actively trying to assist other owners with their knowledge. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Otherwise the moderators have to get involved and nobody wants that.
Rudy1, Terminader, ez1dog and 4 others like this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #31327 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
On a brighter side, I watched 4 movies over the weekend and stand by this being such an awesome television despite its minor flaws. Still, it can't put lipstick on a pig. If the source is weak, it will show on this set and is very unforgiving. Most of us knew this going in and still stand by it being the best bang for your buck at the time. We're not being cheerleaders, just realists
jeep05, Terminader, blenky and 2 others like this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #31328 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
You can press the "info" button on the remote and you will see "HDR" in the top right hand corner next to the resolution.
Thank you very much Javan! I put a UHD disc in and it did say HDR next to the resolution. So I guess I'm good? I just remember when I got the TV last year a small popup would appear on the screen when the TV detected HDR content. I guess it doesn't do that anymore?

Thanks again!
javan robinson likes this.
post #31329 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So I recently noticed that the Amazon HDR content seem more punchy and vibrant in colour (this is viewed via the built-in Amazon app on the TV). When selecting HDR content on Amazon, the app automatically turns on the special viewing mode "HDR+". Can anyone else confirm or replicate this on their KS8000? Could this possible be the HDR10+ that Amazon & Samsung have been developing? FYI, I am on FW 1207.2.
Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #31330 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
That's also wrong, though. There isn't a distinction between live and recorded programming. You would need an HR54 or HS17 to watch it either way, and both of those record.

My point is that the client (which again is needed for live or recorded) and whatever associated with it (AVR, etc) is the weak link here. RVU is direct and eliminates a few possible issues. It also works on this model TV, as I've used it already.
Ok so I just tested it and it does playback in HDR from the DVR, happy to be wrong on this. What doesn't make sense is, why can't the main TV in the living room watch 4k? I can only watch the 4k channels on the TV in bedroom with the mini box.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500
post #31331 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitikiro View Post
So I recently noticed that the Amazon HDR content seem more punchy and vibrant in colour (this is viewed via the built-in Amazon app on the TV). When selecting HDR content on Amazon, the app automatically turns on the special viewing mode "HDR+". Can anyone else confirm or replicate this on their KS8000? Could this possible be the HDR10+ that Amazon & Samsung have been developing? FYI, I am on FW 1207.2.
I am on 1209. I tried to watch Season 2 Episode 6 of The Tick on the built in app to see if for some reason it would trigger HDR+ and it did not. It obviously does trigger HDR10, which it has always done. I do not know why HDR10+ should trigger the the pseudo HDR imitation HDR+ on your TV to begin with. Regardless, I think what I am seeing today is better than what I was seeing prior to 12/13 on my KS8000.

There should be a simple way to prove or disprove this if someone has or can find a 2016 KSxxx and a 2017 Q7,8,9 (in the US) that can do a side by side comparison. There has got to be someone out there who can do this. If they could see a difference GREAT (we have something to look forward to). If they couldn't see a difference we have one of two considerations. Either we are seeing HDR10+ or it doesn't make a blasted difference because the differences are so marginal.

Personally, I notice a difference since 12/13. What does it mean? No way to say because unsubstantiated opinions are worth less than dew on a blade of grass.

Those who pshaw it really don't have a leg to stand on either. No one can say anything from a position of authority because we are ALL talking in a vacuum and all the articles written on the subject are not substantiated.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #31332 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey guys not sure if this has anything to do with the latest update on our ks8500, But we have recently switched from Comcast cable to direct TV and while watching Monday night football tonight the motion is horrible. Didn't watch much Monday night football while having Comcast but it's really bad. None of the motion settings have helped at all, normally we have it off on all sources. This is not a issue when watching the Sunday ticket or football on our locals on Sunday.....Is this a source issue?
post #31333 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Thank you very much Javan! I put a UHD disc in and it did say HDR next to the resolution. So I guess I'm good? I just remember when I got the TV last year a small popup would appear on the screen when the TV detected HDR content. I guess it doesn't do that anymore?

Thanks again!
You're very welcome! Glad you got it displaying and I know how frustrating it can be to not "know" or not if it's really in the mode or not!

And yes, the popup was disabled a few firmware updates back by the higher ups at Samsung. Something about normal everyday consumers getting confused when seeing that banner.
WizeGuyDezignz likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #31334 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It was already said that amazon has both HDR10 and HDR10+ under the same label which is HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sshuttari likes this.
post #31335 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOverSt View Post
It was already said that amazon has both HDR10 and HDR10+ under the same label which is HDR.

So it sounds more then likely were seeing a hdr10+ picture? My ks9000 looks so much better, but I can’t say for the 8500 since I don’t have it.

I really didnr like hdr picture in Amazon in the first place, my Netflix and Xbox hdr looks better.

But now amazon looks better on my tv, if it’s not hdr10+ then what it is it exactly???

post #31336 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
Ok so I just tested it and it does playback in HDR from the DVR, happy to be wrong on this. What doesn't make sense is, why can't the main TV in the living room watch 4k? I can only watch the 4k channels on the TV in bedroom with the mini box.
Does your backlight go from something less than 20 directly to 20 when you go from 4k on channel 104 to the HDR content on channel 106? Mine doesn't which is why I don't think I'm seeing the HDR version because the TV is not in HDR mode.

Bryan Seltzer Christmas special is awesome in 4K, just don't think the TV is in HDR mode. And yes, I'm very experienced with this subject so I don't think it's "user error."

I've tried it both on my 55 and 65 inch screens with two different 4K mini clients.

I wish all sources announced "HDR Mode" like the Amazon app does!!!

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

Last edited by Terminader; 12-18-2017 at 08:38 PM.
post #31337 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
So it sounds more then likely were seeing a hdr10+ picture? My ks9000 looks so much better, but I can’t say for the 8500 since I don’t have it.

I really didnr like hdr picture in Amazon in the first place, my Netflix and Xbox hdr looks better.

But now amazon looks better on my tv, if it’s not hdr10+ then what it is it exactly???

Perhaps you're seeing HDR10+ via the app downsampled to HDR on your tv and that's why it looks better. Just like 4k ultra HD content downsampled to 1080p on a non 4k tv will look better than normal 1080p content.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #31338 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Perhaps you're seeing HDR10+ via the app downsampled to HDR on your tv and that's why it looks better. Just like 4k ultra HD content downsampled to 1080p on a non 4k tv will look better than normal 1080p content.

If thats the case, I just want to know why the hdr is better, and I’ve checked on multiple movies and tv shows in hdr and they all looked much better

post #31339 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If thats the case, I just want to know why the hdr is better, and I’ve checked on multiple movies and tv shows in hdr and they all looked much better

Simply because of the magic of downsampling.

Just like 4k downsampled to 1080p provides a better looking picture. So it stands to reason that a billion plus colors would downsample to a billion colors and look even better in downsampling than regular HDR does since it starts at a better looking source.

Just as 1080p bluray will look better than 1080p cable movies. You're starting with a higher resolution that is not as compressed.

Just as actual DVD's look a lot better than full 1080p cable content. When the image you start with is less compressed or a higher resolution/more colors represented to begin with = you will end up with a better picture.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #31340 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight4K View Post
Doesn't work like that. HDR10+ is fully backwards compatible with HDR10 because it has both the static HDR10 and the dynamic metadata layer embedded into the same stream. If the TV doesn't support HDR10+, it will completely ignore the dynamic metadata and just display HDR10 as usual.

The picture quality of content on Amazon can vary greatly even within the same season of the same show. They grade stuff differently or randomly improve the picture quality of some of the content in various ways. That's why he's seeing a difference.
Does it actually completely ignore the other layer of data though? Or could they have changed that too...

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there is a lot we don't know.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #31341 of 36321 Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 12472 Post(s)
Liked: 11662
Quote:

Placebo effect. nothing more, nothing less. Placebo effect runs rampant on these forums every year.

Also, keep in mind that the HDR modes are "remembered" from when you last used it. So if at some point you turned on HDR+ for HDR and never changed it, your tv will switch to that mode and the settings you had it set at every time you turn on HDR content.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #31342 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Apologies if this has been raised before but has anyone experienced the following with this TV....

When the screen goes to complete black, for example when a film finishes before the end credits begin to appear, there is a slight flicker/flash across the full screen.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the local dimming as the unit decides to actively turn off the LEDs. It's not major, but it irritates me a little, especially when the film displays a black screen between multiple shots.
post #31343 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by maphisto2000 View Post
Apologies if this has been raised before but has anyone experienced the following with this TV....

When the screen goes to complete black, for example when a film finishes before the end credits begin to appear, there is a slight flicker/flash across the full screen.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the local dimming as the unit decides to actively turn off the LEDs. It's not major, but it irritates me a little, especially when the film displays a black screen between multiple shots.

This only occurs when Smart LED is off. But there is a simple solution for not getting these backlight flashes without having to go in the servicemenu. Just put your brightness at a value of 46. When you choose 45 or lower the display actually shuts itself completely off when there is a full black screen and no Smart LED enabled. When the display has to show color again it has to startup again (off --> on) which is showing as these short backlight flashes.When brightness is set at 46 or higher, the screen will never shut itself completly off and will still show a nice good black image. There will be no more backlight flashes. To compensate for the increased brightness you should adjust your 2-point white balance as follow:

R-Offset: -1
G-Offset: -1
B-Offset: -1

Leave the rest at default.

If you have your tv professionally calibrated then just subtract 1 from your R-G-B-Offset values.

This tip is not from myself but comes from King Richard, and works perfectly.
pg22, Diodato and blenky like this.
post #31344 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Placebo effect. nothing more, nothing less. Placebo effect runs rampant on these forums every year.

Also, keep in mind that the HDR modes are "remembered" from when you last used it. So if at some point you turned on HDR+ for HDR and never changed it, your tv will switch to that mode and the settings you had it set at every time you turn on HDR content.
I take it you've seen the Amazon Prime Video app on the S8 also supports UltraHD and HDR content now.
gamermwm likes this.
post #31345 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Simply because of the magic of downsampling.

Just like 4k downsampled to 1080p provides a better looking picture. So it stands to reason that a billion plus colors would downsample to a billion colors and look even better in downsampling than regular HDR does since it starts at a better looking source.

Just as 1080p bluray will look better than 1080p cable movies. You're starting with a higher resolution that is not as compressed.

Just as actual DVD's look a lot better than full 1080p cable content. When the image you start with is less compressed or a higher resolution/more colors represented to begin with = you will end up with a better picture.

I see where you are going with your train of thought but that last one simply isn't true. I've never seen a DVD that looks better than a 1080p broadcast, the resolution of DVD is far too limited.
post #31346 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Does it actually completely ignore the other layer of data though? Or could they have changed that too...
There are not multiple layers of video data. There is just one. And again, there is no "downsampling", that term is completely wrong for this case. HDR10Plus is backwards-compatible with HDR10 This means there is only "throwing away stuff you don't understand" and not using it, and using what you do understand (the HDR10 data), completely unaltered.

There's the HDR10 static metadata, supplied along with the video (it is not part of it) which is still used just like it always was. There are only a few values (see here) which describe things like the brightest pixel overall, and the brightest frame-average light level. Once it is calculated by analysing the whole stream, these numbers are not going to change.

Then, as a new addition, a HDR10Plus stream has dynamic metadata which is embedded into the video stream just like packet of video and audio data (technical term is "SEI messages"). That is how HDR10Plus works. It is definitely not another "layer". It's the same single layer of data.
  • HDR10 TVs just throw away the SEI message packets containing HDR10Plus dynamic metadata when they arrive and do not change their tone-mapping strategy during the stream; they stick to the single whole-stream static metadata values.
  • HDR10Plus TVs obey the SEI message packets containing HDR10Plus dynamic metadata when they arrive and change their tone-mapping strategy during the stream. This allows them to do less/no tone-mapping during dark scenes bringing out extra detail which under HDR10 might have been squeezed down (loss of detail or brightness or both, see PDF below and Vincent's video below) because of a very bright scene elsewhere and the single static of values having to be used.

That's all it is. For fun reading material, with pretty pictures showing how dynamic tone-mapping can help, try >> this :-) <<. HDR10Plus is "ST 2094-40 App 4 (Samsung)" in that document.

Also, for a more general video explaining what tone-mapping does, and which it is necessary in the first place, watch this:
Spoiler!

Quote:
The picture quality of content on Amazon can vary greatly even within the same season of the same show. They grade stuff differently or randomly improve the picture quality of some of the content in various ways. That's why he's seeing a difference.
This.

Quote:
Yes, it has been the subject of MUCH speculation by many people over the last few weeks. Try asking Samsung or Amazon this question and you will get a variety of different answers!

It started with the previous August soft-launch date of HDR10Plus which came and went, but it didn't stop people saying "The Tick looks great. So, I think The Tick is HDR10Plus. So I think our TVs support HDR10Plus now."

We've been rehearsing the same discussion for 5 months now. Forgive us if we sound bored of the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Indeed. The root cause of all this is Amazon's stupid refusal to be clear in their User Interface. But, at least they are supporting HDR10Plus.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-19-2017 at 05:20 AM.
post #31347 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
This only occurs when Smart LED is off. But there is a simple solution for not getting these backlight flashes without having to go in the servicemenu. Just put your brightness at a value of 46. When you choose 45 or lower the display actually shuts itself completely off when there is a full black screen and no Smart LED enabled. When the display has to show color again it has to startup again (off --> on) which is showing as these short backlight flashes.When brightness is set at 46 or higher, the screen will never shut itself completly off and will still show a nice good black image. There will be no more backlight flashes. To compensate for the increased brightness you should adjust your 2-point white balance as follow:

R-Offset: -1
G-Offset: -1
B-Offset: -1

Leave the rest at default.

If you have your tv professionally calibrated then just subtract 1 from your R-G-B-Offset values.

This tip is not from myself but comes from King Richard, and works perfectly.
Thanks I'll give that a go. My settings were previously brightness of 40 and smart LED off for 4K Bluray content.
Terminader likes this.
post #31348 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abex81 View Post
The picture quality is really good, if you win the panel lottery and get a good one. There is no doubt that this is a great tv for gaming. However saying “it works exactly as it is supposed too” sounds a bit naive.
Either you don’t play many different games or you don’t mind manually switching back and forth settings everytime you start up an HDR game.
In any case , a tv with a launch price of 2000$ HAS TO save the settings in ANY picture mode. No other premium tv from the competing brands have this stupid issue. It is a basic feature.
We are not talking about a chinese discount brand tv there, they really have no excuses for this delay.
Saying the TV "works exactly as it is supposed to" is not naive, and it is an intentional and informed statement. I did my research before I bought the TV and was aware that Game Mode didn't have two separate profiles for SDR and HDR and that I would have to manually switch. I knew this was by design. Yes it's annoying but I knew what I was getting when I bought the TV. I do play a lot of games, both SDR and HDR, and I go in every time and adjust the backlight. I don't mind since I was willing to do that to get such a great gaming TV. (It'll be fantastic when auto switching finally gets added tho!) Whether I agree with the choice to not auto switch or not, I knew Samsung designed it this way, hence my statement that my TV "works exactly as it is supposed to". I didn't say it works "as I would like it to". I also haven't had any of the game separation issues or vertical lines, or really ANY issues at all with the TV. Did I luck out? Who knows. But just because my experience differs from yours doesn't mean I am naive or somehow not using the TV properly. My TV does everything the way it was designed to do (whether I agree with some of those choices or not) so I stand by my statement: it works exactly as it is supposed to. (except for the HDR pop-up banner missing, dammit! Bring that back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Yes, I agree and so do many other owner's on this forum. Those owners here that are dissatisfied are having real issues, but they are in the minority. Overall, this TV is a great product and could be better. It's not perfect and neither is Samsung. This is also true for other companies and their TVs.

Remember the survey results from earlier this year?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54922690
If someone is having real issues they have a right to be dissatisfied. If they don't like a design choice on the way something works on the TV they have every right to not like that as well. They are welcome to voice their unhappiness. I am also welcome to voice my satisfaction, not only with the TV but with Samsung in general. No, they are not perfect but as you say, no company/product is and there is always room for improvement. Overall, like most people, I am extremely satisfied with the KS8000 and it has been nothing but a very positive experience. I look forward to having the TV for a very long time. I hope the ones that have had faulty TVs or are unhappy with certain features get them addressed, or can find a way to get a different set that better fits their expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitikiro View Post
I'm not sure why the app is going into HDR+ on your set, unless you switched it on while watching an HDR stream one time and it remembered? I don't believe HDR+ would be a requirement for HDR10Plus. It is meant as an enhancement to expand the colour space of SDR material to an HDR colour space. The "punch" and extra vibrancy is likely from being in HDR+ mode and the enhancements it does to HDR material. Try setting it back to your normal mode. I suspect that Amazon will look the same as it always has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
There should be a simple way to prove or disprove this if someone has or can find a 2016 KSxxx and a 2017 Q7,8,9 (in the US) that can do a side by side comparison. There has got to be someone out there who can do this. If they could see a difference GREAT (we have something to look forward to). If they couldn't see a difference we have one of two considerations. Either we are seeing HDR10+ or it doesn't make a blasted difference because the differences are so marginal.
My money is on "it doesn't make a blasted difference because the differences are so marginal"! That's my guess ahead of time I'm interested in HDR10Plus rolling out just so we can finally know for sure lol.
Rudy1, Rolls-Royce, jeep05 and 5 others like this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #31349 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
As previously stated, this TV does support HLG, and two other owners in this thread have said they are getting HDR on their TV from DirecTV.

@UnfoldingSquid confirmed that backlight went to 20.

There must be something wrong somewhere in your setup.
No HDR here tried last night, checked the settings. Menu says HDR ready. HDMI UHD Color ON. What else?

mark
Terminader likes this.
post #31350 of 36321 Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaye View Post
Hi guys, been following this thread for a while and because of it have had many of my TV issues answered without even having to ask, so thanks in advance to everyone who's been answering the same questions over and over in here lol.

The reason for me finally actually posting here is I need some advice. I've had my TV for just under a year now and in the last month, I've begun to notice light bleed all around the border of my TV. It's basically literally as if there is a 1-2cm thick border around the image (top, bottom, left and right sides) that is lighter than everything else. Once I noticed this, I can't un-notice it. It's MUCH more apparent on greyish/lighter colours and less apparent on bright colours.

Sufficed to say this issue was not there a couple of months ago, and now it is, and I worry that it's actually worsened/become more apparent as time has gone on.

I still have a month or so on my Samsung warranty, but also because I purchased it from John Lewis, I actually have an additional 4 years warranty ontop of that. I contacted Samsung and they asked me to email them pictures of the problem and they will get back to me. The thing is, it's VERY hard to see the issue in pictures because of the way the camera focuses on the image...

What I'm trying to get at, is does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this? I've absolutely loved my TV up until this point, has spent hours getting the perfect calibration for SDR and HDR thanks to advice in this thread/forum, and have been really happy with everything up until now. I'm still waiting to hear back from Samsung after emailing them the pictures, it's only been a few days, but am I likely to get someone to come out and attempt to repair my issue?

Thanks in advance.

So I decided to bypass Samsung and just call the place I actually purchased the TV from (John Lewis) as they are usually very easy to deal with for this kind of thing. Anyway they are sending someone out to look at my TV next week, and if they can see the fault, they will either repair it, offer me a refund, replacement or exchange for another TV.

Now, the issue I have, I can imagine that some people (non-4K HDR gaming enthusiasts for example) might see the issue with my TV as trivial... Sufficed to say it was not there when I bought the TV, and it's presence has made me unsatisfied. My question is does anyone have any advice on how to make sure that the person they send over doesn't try and say it's not 'repair worthy'? I'm feeling anxiety already over having to try and convince them that there is even a problem to begin with. :/
javan robinson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page