Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179765Likes

post #3121 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Okay. Simultaneous pictures KS800D (default) vs. HU8550 (per my prior calibration settings)
Honestly dude no offense but the fact that you didn't even know to take Eco mode and whatnot off one tv when doing a side by side pretty much makes your opinion irrelevant
patrickpiteo and Terminader like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
That's what I thought and thanks for reassuring me. On the bright side it should hopefully prevent me from over-tightening. I'm going to be treating everything with kid gloves. Suppose to be taking delivery on my birthday on Thursday. I'm not sure if I can get it sooner. Might try and call tomorrow, but need it to be when my son is at summer camp. Can you do me a favor and post or pm me how yours looks on the wall. Here's some pictures below of my wall and how the tv should look. I'm not sure where I should positioning it? I think it was easier with the Kanto full motion one in our bedroom. Hoping that this one is just as easy.
Mine is above my fireplace, so I don't think pictures would help you much since our setups are so different. If you are worried about kids damaging the TV then where you have it drawn out seems like a good spot to me. If kids aren't a factor, then ideally you want it more in line with your vision so you aren't looking up but instead straight out if that makes sense.
post #3123 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Raz View Post
Honestly dude no offense but the fact that you didn't even know to take Eco mode and whatnot off one tv when doing a side by side pretty much makes your opinion irrelevant
Yeah, he also mentioned a few pages back that he returned the KS8000 and bought himself a top of the line Hisense TV which is apparently better than the Samsung..
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Red face

Quote:

Honestly dude, if you read the post it clearly states that the KS800D set was photographed out of the box with all the factory default settings, so this makes your comment completely irrelevant. You'll further read that settings are being applied in an attempt to make the KS800D at least as great as the HU8550. You'll further read that the sound settings have been requested as the KS800D sound is poo-poo doo-doo as it is now, compared to the HU8550 sound.
post #3125 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
Yeah, he also mentioned a few pages back that he returned the KS8000 and bought himself a top of the line Hisense TV which is apparently better than the Samsung..

You need to sharpen your reading skills. I never purchased a KS8000, and never purchased a KS800D until a few days ago. Only after buying the KS800D was the Hisense returned. The Hisense had stunning 4K, but the DCA failure and motion blurring and poor sharpness forced the return.

If this KS800D audio and video cannot be made as good as the HU8550, it will also be returned.

Is that okay with you?
post #3126 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
I'm not out to rag on anyone but come on, if you're going to try and give an educated opinion on something at least make sure it's educated. Even my grandma knows that the first thing you do is turn off any energy / Eco bull****...especially if you're re comparing to another.
post #3127 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
I'm not out to rag on anyone but come on, if you're going to try and give an educated opinion on something at least make sure it's educated. Even my grandma knows that the first thing you do is turn off any energy / Eco bull****...especially if you're re comparing to another.
Any comparison whatsoever is fair, providing the states were defined. And indeed they were.
post #3128 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiXilverZA View Post
My tv finally arrived last week. I haven't messed around with the settings too much. So far, some content look beyond amazing while others look a bit meh. I'll try the config @kazmur posted here but I do have a few questions

1 - HDR+ - Should you switch this on for HDR sources or is it purely for adding HDR to non-HDR content? What happens if it's on and there's HDR content playing?

2 - Sport mode looks horrendous. I tried watching football and the colours look overly saturdated. My source content is a 720p satellite feed. Are there any settings specific to sport that anyone uses?
Yeah, I've never been a fan of sports mode on any television I've had so far. Outside of movie and game I'm not planning on using too many of the other settings (hopefully). Are you planning on upgrading your satellite plan to 1080P/4K? If you have that already, you might want to bump up your signal to 1080P(i) in the satellite box's menu? If not, it could be a source issue in the lower resolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
frisbfreek asked if it was possible to add a FAQ to the first page. I won't have time to look at all the questions then find the answers myself. If maybe 1 person can gather all the info that should be in my first post they could post the info and I would just copy and paste in in the first post so it is easier to find.
Once I get my room cleaned out I plan on going back and re-reading the thread. So I might be able to help if someone doesn't beat me to it. Anyone know how many multi quotes you can use before the forum cuts you off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
Mine is above my fireplace, so I don't think pictures would help you much since our setups are so different. If you are worried about kids damaging the TV then where you have it drawn out seems like a good spot to me. If kids aren't a factor, then ideally you want it more in line with your vision so you aren't looking up but instead straight out if that makes sense.
Yep, totally understand. It is suppose to be my man cave. So no man cub or wife, but the wife is already trying to "help" me with where I should put things and what should go in there
King Richard likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3129 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
frisbfreek asked if it was possible to add a FAQ to the first page. I won't have time to look at all the questions then find the answers myself. If maybe 1 person can gather all the info that should be in my first post they could post the info and I would just copy and paste in in the first post so it is easier to find.
I plan to do some compiling of answers tonight after work. Stay tuned. @bluewhale1 , are you ok with weekly updates? I suspect the community will want to add things to the FAQ as more questions are asked/tricks discovered.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.
post #3130 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You need to sharpen your reading skills. I never purchased a KS8000, and never purchased a KS800D until a few days ago. Only after buying the KS800D was the Hisense returned. The Hisense had stunning 4K, but the DCA failure and motion blurring and poor sharpness forced the return.

If this KS800D audio and video cannot be made as good as the HU8550, it will also be returned.

Is that okay with you?
BTW, the KS800D and KS8000 are basically the same TV except for the bezel. KS800D is Costco's model with a grey bezel, KS8000 is with a chrome bezel. Everything else (panel, circuitry, firmware compatibility) should all be the same. If they were materially different, there would be a separate KS800D owner's thread.

I would suggest that if you are picky enough about sound, you should get a soundbar or external speakers. You can always augment the audio of a TV, but you can't augment the video... hence most people here (myself included) value a TV's visual quality first and foremost.
post #3131 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl View Post

Just tried it. No dice. Wired MacBook gives me 173mbps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think many of these sites are optimized for a SmartTV browser. Many of them plain don't run since they require Flash. I tried Speedof.me and got around 30mbps down/23mbps up.

Try http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ since it is designed for HTML5 and is optimized for mobile browsers. I got very close to my Verizon FIOS 75mbps down/75mbps up with this site on my 65KS8500.
post #3132 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post

I would suggest that if you are picky enough about sound, you should get a soundbar or external speakers. You can always augment the audio of a TV, but you can't augment the video... hence most people here (myself included) value a TV's visual quality first and foremost.
Not picky about sound. Both my HU8550s have good sound natively (with no sound bar, no external amp, no external speakers), so one would think that the KS800D is capable for producing sound as least as good as the HU8550. If I can make this KS sound and video at least as good as the HUs, I'll keep it.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-13-2016 at 09:40 AM.
post #3133 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
I don't think many of these sites are optimized for a SmartTV browser. Many of them plain don't run since they require Flash. I tried Speedof.me and got around 30mbps down/23mbps up.

Try http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ since it is designed for HTML5 and is optimized for mobile browsers. I got very close to my Verizon FIOS 75mbps down/75mbps up with this site on my 65KS8500.

No dice. Still being throttled.

Tested PC and got 176mbps down

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro
post #3134 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
No dice. Still being throttled.

Tested PC and got 176mbps down

Jvcjvl, which State are you in? Your original image showed NJ as the test server and the image above shows TX. The test should have picked the closest server, if not pick the closest one manually.
post #3135 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Not picky about sound. Both my HU8550s have good sound (with no sound bar), so one would think that the KS800D is capable for producing sound as least as good as the HU8550. If I can make this KS sound and video at least as good as the HUs, I'll keep it.
One other note about sound: sound quality is largely a function of driver/woofer size. Audio is all about the ability to push air. That's why even a decent pair of budget bookshelf speakers will still produce better sound than expensive soundbars with a thin profile. If you don't believe me, swing over to the audio side of avsforums and read some of those threads. That means the sleeker your TV is, the smaller the woofers will be, and the likely result is that audio will not be great.

The KS8000 is down-firing because they chose to make most of the TV thinner (arguably too thin for back-firing speakers). Unfortunately I can't tell from pictures what type of speakers the HU8550 has. In any case, you won't be able to get BOTH thin/sleek and great audio. That's the other driver behind the "get a soundbar/external speaker" comment.
cydeweyz and PeninsulaMark like this.

Last edited by frisbfreek; 07-13-2016 at 09:51 AM.
post #3136 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
Jvcjvl, which State are you in? Your original image showed NJ as the test server and the image above shows TX. The test should have picked the closest server, if not pick the closest one manually.
Houston, the other image was from a UK based test site someone tried so I tried and I guess NJ was the closest location

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro
post #3137 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
One other note about sound: sound quality is largely a function of driver/woofer size. Audio is all about the ability to pushing air. That's why even a decent pair of budget bookshelf speakers will still produce better sound than expensive soundbars with a thin profile. If you don't believe me, swing over to the audio side of avsforums and read some of those threads. That means the sleeker your TV is, the smaller the woofers will be, and the likely result is that audio will not be great.

The KS8000 is down-firing because they chose to make most of the TV thinner (arguably too thin for back-firing speakers). Unfortunately I can't tell from pictures what type of speakers the HU8550 has. In any case, you won't be able to get BOTH thin/sleek and great audio. That's the other driver behind the "get a soundbar/external speaker" comment.

Excellent point. Thank you. I've seen both the HU and KS open and they both seemed down firing. But again, need the video to look as good as the HU, then will deal with the sound.
post #3138 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Okay. Simultaneous pictures KS800D (default) vs. HU8550 (per my prior calibration settings)
Ok. I'm assuming that the HU8550 is the one above? can't really tell from the photos alone. Something is definitely off with the KS800D if it is the bottom one. Looks like your backlight is turned all the way down. hahaha.

I'll be honest when I first got the TV and cycled through different viewing modes (some had the eco mode on) I noticed the screen would go from very very bright, then slowly fade to darker and darker, until it looked like the backlight was off.

About the Eco mode. I actually have it on, because I spend 75% of my time with the TV as a computer monitor on my desk in a dark room. With the minimum backlight of 3 and my brightness at 30-35, white color still looks white and I can still see everything without any problems of the picture being too dark.

Yeah in these photos something looks totally off... LMAO. I wouldn't compare the two TVs out of the box virgin. Turn the eco mode off, put the backlight at least on 10-15 in a lit room (just to get a feel of things), then turn it lower based on your own preferences later. To look at that dark screen and believe that there's nothing you can do with it... yeah I'd take it back in heartbeat. I dunno... if that is the way your KS800D looks with the backlight at max, then it's defective for sure.

Good luck to you man.
King Richard likes this.
post #3139 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my KS8000 set, really looks amazing overall with all content. Although I had one concern that I noticed. When booting up the Xbox One I noticed on the green startup screen it looked slightly pixelated in the corners, as well as on some stationary load screens in game. Looks great when actually playing. I use the Xbox One in game mode and calibrated to the best of my ability. So is the slightly pixelated look just because of the TV being 4K and upscaling or something? Very new to all this. Please share some insight.
post #3140 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Excellent point. Thank you. I've seen both the HU and KS open and they both seemed down firing. But again, need the video to look as good as the HU, then will deal with the sound.
My old 65" Hu8550 did have better sound but it was definitely a thicker set. these KS8000 sets are so thin it's crazy. Looking at your pics I would say something is up with the PQ on the KS. looks like their is film over the screen. Before I sold the HU8550 I had them side by side and even back then with the old firmware the KS was more vivid (both in movie mode)
King Richard likes this.
post #3141 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Guess I'm not the only one with a Vudu launch issue. I really love the speed at which you can switch between OTA and apps on this television, but they really need to get these bugs fixed. It's embarrassing. I updated my TV to 1114, but Samsung doesn't seem to tell you what their updates fix or add.
cydeweyz and Terminader like this.
post #3142 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Guess I'm not the only one with a Vudu launch issue. I really love the speed at which you can switch between OTA and apps on this television, but they really need to get these bugs fixed. It's embarrassing. I updated my TV to 1114, but Samsung doesn't seem to tell you what their updates fix or add.
Vudu is aware of the issue with the Vudu app and is working with Samsung on a fix. Here is the link to the Vudu forum discussing the problem..

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...02#post1290502

Glad I had someone point that out to me because I was getting ready to exchange it this weekend. My buddies tv has the vudu app working fine but he hasn't done any updates on the tv for the last 3 weeks since his new house didn't have internet connected.
cydeweyz likes this.
post #3143 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Houston, the other image was from a UK based test site someone tried so I tried and I guess NJ was the closest location

Interesting. I will have to test more tonight when I get home. My test server was Washington DC.
post #3144 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it just me or does HDR+ seem to create the 'soap opera' effect? I've got those settings turned off, but when I enable HDR+ it seems to come back as a part of that setting.
post #3145 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray View Post
Is it just me or does HDR+ seem to create the 'soap opera' effect? I've got those settings turned off, but when I enable HDR+ it seems to come back as a part of that setting.

Can you check that AutoMotion Plus is turned off specifically for HDR+? The TV treats HDR+ as a totally separate mode, so turning off AutoMotion Plus in Movie mode will not carry over to HDR+. You'll need to explicitly turn it off again in HDR+.
post #3146 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunai013 View Post
Just got my KS8000 set, really looks amazing overall with all content. Although I had one concern that I noticed. When booting up the Xbox One I noticed on the green startup screen it looked slightly pixelated in the corners, as well as on some stationary load screens in game. Looks great when actually playing. I use the Xbox One in game mode and calibrated to the best of my ability. So is the slightly pixelated look just because of the TV being 4K and upscaling or something? Very new to all this. Please share some insight.
IMO game mode just isn't worth it from a picture quality standpoint. All (or most) of the processing is stripped to deliver the fastest response, and since you're dealing with a native 1080p or worse image from the console, you're seeing the TV upscale without any enhancements to compensate for the non-native resolution. My experience with game mode is that it's just a glorified torch mode - I much prefer gaming in movie mode with appropriate PQ settings applied. You're likely just seeing the result of upscaling. I'd love for someone else to post the settings they find best in game mode.
The_Donster likes this.
post #3147 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing a TV from Amazon. Mainly in terms of "panel lottery" - if you've gotten any thing from amazon, has the quality control been OK? Is there a definite lottery for the KS8000 series? Searching this thread the opinions on that seem pretty mixed.
post #3148 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Agreed, it is an excellent user experience when it works! I've been good since 1114, but not sure why others continue to have the issues that I also had prior to 1114. Other potential differences could be the DNS entry which I changed many, many times to try to solve the problem prior to 1114 plus I put my TV in my router's DMZ. I was desperately trying to solve the SmartHub issues. Now that everything is working very smoothly, I'm afraid to change anything including whatever Samsung does in their next firmware change!

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
post #3149 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm1000 View Post
answers here
Need info on

1) calibration and where links are
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
2) How to engage HDR
will activate itself when HDR material is played
3) How to engage and uses of HDR+
settings-picture-special viewing mode
4) Sources of 4K and HDR
http://demo-uhd3d.com/
5) How to turn off lit Samsung logo
settings somewhere.. cant remember but its there
6) How to check for firmware updates
settings somewhere.. cant remember but its there
7) How to reboot stuck apps
2 - From what I've read on here, you have to enter the app while in movie mode and when you start playing an HDR video, check the picture --> expert settings and make sure back light is maxed out (20 I believe)
3 - As others have pointed out, it is believed that HDR+ is a setting to "upscale" non HDR content to look like HDR content. Also, many people think it actually makes HDR content look better.

Samsung UN65KS8500
Denon AVR-S710W
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #3150 of 36414 Old 07-13-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaly View Post
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing a TV from Amazon. Mainly in terms of "panel lottery" - if you've gotten any thing from amazon, has the quality control been OK? Is there a definite lottery for the KS8000 series? Searching this thread the opinions on that seem pretty mixed.
Too lazy to re-type my experience, so shamelessly providing some links to my previous posts:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post44709569
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post44774009
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45001538

I could not be happier with my experience with Amazon. It is important to make sure you are buying from Amazon itself and not a 3rd party vendor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page