Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1059 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180303Likes

post #31741 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 9043
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser7787 View Post
You made me ALMOST spit my coffee out this morning haha.
Be more careful :-)

Quote:
Do you guy really think there is a chance we will get a refund down the road?
We being the main readership in America? Dunno, I'm not in that system and I have never hidden my location on my profile :-).
In America it's probably unlikely, but I posted to give you guys my moral support.
Over here in the UK it is different and yes, it is a slam-dunk for refunds now that the 2016 deadline has been missed because our consumer protection laws are so strong (at the moment - they were imposed on the UK by Europe so after Brexit I bet they'll weaken them and suck up to big business).

I did make it very clear that the laws are different. :-)

Quote:
Is there any instance of this happening in the past with another consumer electronic?
Absolutely loads. Most people don't get their story reported in the media though.

But if you'd like one example, have Michael Collins from Boston in America.
Customer gets full refund for TV after Samsung broke Evolution Kit promise - but again, he had to threaten legal action first.
Quote:
It was not until he filed a claim in the small claims court that Samsung acknowledged the broken promise. 10 days later, Samsung refunded the full amount, calling it a “buy back”. The company also covered the court filing fee expenses to close the case.
HTH.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31742 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze View Post
The You Tube app on my KS8000 has been down for about a week now (black screen when launched). Anyone else have this issue? Best way to resolve?

Thanks
Glad @Terminader was able to help and you got it sorted. I ran into a similar issue last night and had to use the hold power button down until the SUHD logo pops up method myself with Amazon. I was extra cranky because I had been having a little bit of whiskey and trying to wind down my night with a little Match Game 75 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post
So, my 2 year old broke my 65 KS800D TV by throwing a lego and cracking the panel beneath the glass. Can you publicly buy panels for this TV? or does anyone know of any repair shops close to 95336
You could call or set up a chat with Samsung directly, but I think I just Google'd it when I needed someone to come out and take a look at our washer that turned out to be irreparable. Just make sure they are a authorized dealer for Samsung. Which is why I suggested contacting Samsung first. Good luck and sorry for your loss
Terminader likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #31743 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
How do i get rid of the samsung account banner when powering TV on?
mefistos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31744 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
How do i get rid of the samsung account banner when powering TV on?

Remove the account. That’s how I did it.
post #31745 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Banding Off-Axis

I'm wondering if it is expected to see some vertical banding or dirty screen effect when viewing these TVs far off axis? I've almost always sat in front of my KS8000, but today I sat in a seat off to the side and noticed some darker areas on solid colors. This is not visible except when you sit far off-axis. I searched the forums and online, and it seems like this is a quite common uniformity issue for VA panel TVs, but I just wanted to double check that this seems relatively normal.

I've included pictures that show the issue. Note they are actually taken at a pretty steep angle, although it doesn't look like it.

No issues from normal seating positions, the colors look solid with no dark patches until you move fairly far off-axis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White Background TV.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2341822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Background TV.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2341824  

Last edited by WarpSpeed2013; 01-06-2018 at 09:32 PM.
post #31746 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Duarte View Post
Good article!
post #31747 of 37149 Old 01-06-2018, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Duarte View Post
This is also very promising, as it confirms info that was shared with me several months ago regarding the BDA’s actions:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1515296844

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #31748 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpSpeed2013 View Post
I'm wondering if it is expected to see some vertical banding or dirty screen effect when viewing these TVs far off axis? I've almost always sat in front of my KS8000, but today I sat in a seat off to the side and noticed some darker areas on solid colors. This is not visible except when you sit far off-axis. I searched the forums and online, and it seems like this is a quite common uniformity issue for VA panel TVs, but I just wanted to double check that this seems relatively normal.

I've included pictures that show the issue. Note they are actually taken at a pretty steep angle, although it doesn't look like it.

No issues from normal seating positions, the colors look solid with no dark patches until you move fairly far off-axis.
Hmmm, yours actually doesn't look like typical DSE. It looks more like a warping effect, which is typically a symptom of a faulty panel. I obviously hope I'm wrong, but the shape in the pic definitely looks like a ripple VS DSE.
BUT, to answer your question more directly, yes you can usually notice some slight DSE on this set when viewing at an angle. I have it too from an angle (not the warping, but DSE), even though it looks nearly perfect from the front.
post #31749 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 122
So I just wanted to post a few things I've noticed since updating. Some of them might just be me and a placebo affect and aren't too big of a deal anyways. I told I would share though.

1- The picture looks much more clear and as if it's been focused on all material.

2- Pulling up the smarthub options with my home button sticks almost every single time.

3- As I've said, could just be me or the content I'm watching is more action paced. However, I'm not noticing nearly as much, if any HDR dimming.

4- It's resetting my sources much more now, basically every time.

5- I haven't even messed with AMP settings since it was supposedly improved but I am noticing everything just looks a ton... smoother and not as staggering/slow/jumpy with all content. I would notice it sometimes before and don't anymore.

If I notice more I will post again, if you want?

Definitely surprised about how glad I am I've updated.. the pros definitely outweigh the cons for me and my shocked by that as that usually isn't the case for me with updates. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, knock on wood! I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
post #31750 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameScouts View Post
Hmmm, yours actually doesn't look like typical DSE. It looks more like a warping effect, which is typically a symptom of a faulty panel. I obviously hope I'm wrong, but the shape in the pic definitely looks like a ripple VS DSE.
BUT, to answer your question more directly, yes you can usually notice some slight DSE on this set when viewing at an angle. I have it too from an angle (not the warping, but DSE), even though it looks nearly perfect from the front.
I haven’t heard of a ripple or wrapping effect before. Would it just be visible off axis? In person it looks a little more like vertical banding, the kind of thing that bothers people watching sports and other events with solid colored fields or arenas.

If it truly is a fault I can request a repair through Best Buy, I have the extended warranty, but I’m hesitant to repair a panel that looks great viewing from the front.
post #31751 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I haven’t heard of a ripple or wrapping effect before. Would it just be visible off axis? In person it looks a little more like vertical banding, the kind of thing that bothers people watching sports and other events with solid colored fields or arenas.

If it truly is a fault I can request a repair through Best Buy, I have the extended warranty, but I’m hesitant to repair a panel that looks great viewing from the front.
Could be just lens distortion from your phone. If it's perfectly straight and vertical, then it's just typical DSE that is most definitely visible when viewed off angle. My set is nearly perfect from the front, but I can see the vertical strips on solid color when viewed from the side.

However, if it is a ripple by some strange reason, it's usually caused by extra pressure applied on the panel during the manufacturing process. Frankly, even if this is the case, I wouldn't worry about it if the screen is fine from the front.

This is a VA panel anyway, so looking at it from the side will expose all kinds of crap when you look for it. haha!
post #31752 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Panasonic Unveils New 4K Blu-ray Players - Including World First Dolby Vision And HDR10+ Support

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...hdr10-support/

Will our TV be compatible with HDR 10+

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #31753 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Could be just lens distortion from your phone. If it's perfectly straight and vertical, then it's just typical DSE that is most definitely visible when viewed off angle. My set is nearly perfect from the front, but I can see the vertical strips on solid color when viewed from the side.

However, if it is a ripple by some strange reason, it's usually caused by extra pressure applied on the panel during the manufacturing process. Frankly, even if this is the case, I wouldn't worry about it if the screen is fine from the front.

This is a VA panel anyway, so looking at it from the side will expose all kinds of crap when you look for it. haha!
Hmmm. It’s really hard to tell. The banding doesn’t look totally uniform. It gives the illusion of a slight curvature but up close it looks pretty vertical. I’m wondering if the curvature is just because it isn’t uniform banding. Is DSE always perfectly vertical? I’ve seen many images where it looks kind of patchy.

I found a video of a Vizio P series that has a more serious version of the same problem when off axis. That’s what mine looks like just much less prevalent.

https://youtu.be/Cqt-o8UtpNw

Does anyone else notice banding when far off axis? I’m trying to decide if this is a fault or just what many big panels experience off-axis, some being better than others.

If anyone has images of their TV with a solid color off axis I’d really appreciate it.

Last edited by WarpSpeed2013; 01-07-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #31754 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 9043
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Panasonic Unveils New 4K Blu-ray Players - Including World First Dolby Vision And HDR10+ Support
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...hdr10-support/

Will our TV be compatible with HDR 10+
That's a very big question we all want to know the answer to. Nothing is clear yet unfortunately.

press release:
Quote:
All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.
NB: there is no room for doubt or speculation here. This wasn't a forbes news article or some other rumour. It was a press release, cleared through all the internal legal departments, and published on Samsung's website. As far as I'm concerned it is a firm commitment.

However, Samsung have so far failed to deliver, just like they have failed to delivery HLG over streaming (BBC iplayer 4k scandal from December). Samsung are fighting against both promises, and many of us are fighting back.

Other good news today is we now have even more clarification that HDR10+ over HDMI2.0 is possible, in this interview:
Chuck Ebby, Terminader and dejanh like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #31755 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. It’s really hard to tell. The banding doesn’t look totally uniform. It gives the illusion of a slight curvature but up close it looks pretty vertical. I’m wondering if the curvature is just because it isn’t uniform banding. Is DSE always perfectly vertical? I’ve seen many images where it looks kind of patchy.

I found a video of a Vizio P series that has a more serious version of the same problem when off axis. That’s what mine looks like just much less prevalent.

https://youtu.be/Cqt-o8UtpNw

Does anyone else notice banding when far off axis? I’m trying to decide if this is a fault or just what many big panels experience off-axis, some being better than others.

If anyone has images of their TV with a solid color off axis I’d really appreciate it.
DSE is normally always straight and vertical because it is the LED strip you're seeing when the image is panning (or in this case a solid color). A curvature and/or spots implies a faulty application of one of the layers, but again, I'm speculating based on only 2 images. A general rule of thumb is to analyze front viewing only because VA panels will always have visible issues when viewed from the side, whether it's uniformity or something else. For better angle viewing, IPS or OLED are pretty much a must.

Could you post an image with your set from the front and the angle side by side. This way we can see how much it differs, and whether it's worth the trouble of going through a replacement/repair. But either way, it only matters how much it personally bothers you when watching films and gaming. The KS8000 has to be watched pretty much dead center to get the best contrast, colors and uniformity. Even the slightest off angle tilt degrades the entire PQ.
Johnny_cass likes this.
post #31756 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
DSE is normally always straight and vertical because it is the LED strip you're seeing when the image is panning (or in this case a solid color). A curvature and/or spots implies a faulty application of one of the layers, but again, I'm speculating based on only 2 images. A general rule of thumb is to analyze front viewing only because VA panels will always have visible issues when viewed from the side, whether it's uniformity or something else. For better angle viewing, IPS or OLED are pretty much a must.

Could you post an image with your set from the front and the angle side by side. This way we can see how much it differs, and whether it's worth the trouble of going through a replacement/repair. But either way, it only matters how much it personally bothers you when watching films and gaming. The KS8000 has to be watched pretty much dead center to get the best contrast, colors and uniformity. Even the slightest off angle tilt degrades the entire PQ.
Well, the plot thickens. I turned on my TV to take the pictures for you and suddenly the banding is gone. I can see some very minor vertical bands, but the ones I took a picture of last night have disappeared. Nobody has touched the TV, we've been out all day. I'm using exactly the same source for the image test as I did last night.

If it was pressure damage, it shouldn't go away, at least that's what I was reading.

So what in the world could that have been? It wasn't a one time thing, I've noticed it at least once before on multiple sources, but it is clearly not there now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV White Screen Test Front.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	754.8 KB
ID:	2342204   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV White Screen Test Side.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	772.3 KB
ID:	2342206   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Green Screen Test Front.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	830.6 KB
ID:	2342208   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Green Screen Test Side.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	848.0 KB
ID:	2342210   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Green Screen Test Side II.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	820.4 KB
ID:	2342212  

post #31757 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Well, the plot thickens. I turned on my TV to take the pictures for you and suddenly the banding is gone. I can see some very minor vertical bands, but the ones I took a picture of last night have disappeared. Nobody has touched the TV, we've been out all day. I'm using exactly the same source for the image test as I did last night.

If it was pressure damage, it shouldn't go away, at least that's what I was reading.

So what in the world could that have been? It wasn't a one time thing, I've noticed it at least once before on multiple sources, but it is clearly not there now.
Firmware update?

I would think it was physical though.

Well, your TV looks awesome!

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
post #31758 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Firmware update?

Probably just needed to warm up or break in. Or his eyes got used to it

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.
post #31759 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3282
YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO JUST LOVE THIS:

http://www.samsung.com/us/tv-upgrade/
Chuck Ebby and Terminader like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #31760 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Firmware update?

Yeah, I’m at a loss. I saw the banding for the first time a few months ago. Then again yesterday. I’ve had the TV since November of 2016.

But now the panel looks perfectly fine from all angles. No updates, no changes, the TV wasn’t physically touched or moved in anyway. I even ran it for a few hours and checked again, still no banding.

Well, at least the panel doesn’t seem to be physically damaged because that wouldn’t disappear... so I guess I’ll take that as a good sign? Even when the banding was happening it looked great when viewed on-axis.
post #31761 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I just tossed my dinner across the room into my KS8000! 🤤🤤🤤

Rudy1 and Chuck Ebby like this.
post #31762 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Great, another “technology as a service” kind of model. Now Samsung will have no incentive to update old models!

I know some people love to upgrade often, but I’d rather buy something good quality once and keep it for a while. I personally don’t want to be upgrading everything every few years... I’d rather have something that will last.
post #31763 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

This is simply awful
Chuck Ebby and Abex81 like this.

55" Samsung KS8500/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/Apple TV 4K
post #31764 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCraryNJ View Post
This is simply awful
Yeah, 33% credit? That's weak!!!

post #31765 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Great, another “technology as a service” kind of model. Now Samsung will have no incentive to update old models!

I know some people love to upgrade often, but I’d rather buy something good quality once and keep it for a while. I personally don’t want to be upgrading everything every few years... I’d rather have something that will last.
Everything on a subscription model, amiright

Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #31766 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I am so sick of every company trying to shove subscriptions or subscription-like services down out throats. Samsung will lose my business because of this. The KS8000 will be my last Samsung set. Also, up to 33% discount? What a joke. A regular end of year sale before they refresh the models would net better savings than this.
Chuck Ebby, Terminader and Abex81 like this.
post #31767 of 37149 Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

My stable genius senses are tingling.

On that note... why do I get the feeling that a combination of the Samsung interest rate and a likely added charge for the upgrade program will see an actual net discount of .

- Jason
Chuck Ebby and dejanh like this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #31768 of 37149 Old 01-08-2018, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
My stable genius senses are tingling.

On that note... why do I get the feeling that a combination of the Samsung interest rate and a likely added charge for the upgrade program will see an actual net discount of .

- Jason
Also it says of up to 33% I can see the person coming in and saying there a scratch under the tv makes it on 15% credit.
Chuck Ebby and dejanh like this.
post #31769 of 37149 Old 01-08-2018, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWelcome View Post
When playing 4K content on the onboard Netflix, it shows 4K resolutions but not if it is HDR. Also, is there a way to check the resolution incoming from outside devices ie. Apple TV and 4K players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would depend on the content you're watching - is it actually advertised as being in HDR (sorry if that's patronising, but there is 4k content on Netflix that isn't HDR) - fire up something you know is HDR, Bright or GLOW, for instance and work from there.
post #31770 of 37149 Old 01-08-2018, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I was reading all the hdr10+ news out of CES and thought I’d open a samsung chat and complain about it not being added to the KS8000 since that press release was when i purchased it.

Now I know these people don’t typically have answers but they said verbatim that hdr10+ was coming in a firmware update in February.

grain of salt and what not but it at gave me a little hope that i thought i’d pass along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page