Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1068 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179873Likes

post #32011 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
Almost 2 MO since promised HDR update. Geez
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
omg i just want the game mode hdr mode!

i wish the c7 would go on offer so i can get that with good conscience and get rid of samsungs bull****
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelJockey View Post
Hi Everyone, from searching this thread it looks like this issue was supposed to be fixed in November. Is there a new target date for the fix? Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
HDR update for Game Mode? I think Unicorns might be real....
I so agree with all of you... Really growing tired/frustrated with this wait and complete lack of any communication from Samsung. Any good news for us @Rudy1 ?
Abex81 and ExcelJockey like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32012 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
HDR GAME MODE FIRMWARE PATCH:

The projected target date in November was not "missed"...it was officially postponed by the South Korean corporate offices, at the request of the executives who sign off on global OTN software distribution. Their stated concern was that the multitude of "patches" being distributed were causing unintended problems for "regular" users of the KS/KU series TVs. They instructed R&D to resolve ongoing issues before allocating any further resources to providing features that a "very small percentage" of users were requesting. Incidentally, the Q7s and Q9s received the firmware patch as scheduled, along with other fixes intended to resolve bugs in the OS. Per an email I received on December 19th from Yoon Sun Choi, a tentative date for the distribution of the HDR GAME MODE patch has not been finalized; R&D is currently working on prepping the 2018 lineup for launch, so I anticipate they'll get back to the KS/KU series and its many issues once they're done. Again, all of you who've been complaining about the "delay" need to realize this was not even on their "TO DO" list until I brought it to their attention. Gamers are not their intended global demographic for these sets, and South Korea only agreed to look into this because I was able to prove that their arch-rivals (LG) had updated their OLEDs specifically for this purpose. I've tested the patch on my Q9, and it does work...you do get to define discrete picture settings for SDR as well as HDR while in Game Mode...and once you do, the TV switches automatically depending on the input signal.

HDR10+ SUPPORT:

One of the executives from the NJ office called me last night to discuss several issues, including The Wall and the specifications of the 2018 lineup which will be made public at the pre-launch event in March. I asked him about South Korea's response to the uproar over the HDR10+ update promised for the 2016 TVs, and he agrees that it was/is being handled poorly by the corporate headquarters. The promises and statements in PR pieces are routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams; this invariably results in overstatements and unrealistic timelines being published. He does not foresee much change to this scenario as this is a global problem for the company, and changes to policy are difficult to achieve on such a large scale. So far, all I have heard from the R&D team is that the system architecture on the 2016 sets is so different from that on the 2017 sets that the promised firmware update may just not work. No one so far, however, has actually said it will NOT happen.
Chuck Ebby, NTC, Glenee and 12 others like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #32013 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As of now our sets are EOL and will not get anymore QOL updates. Anyone who believe that we will get the hdr game patch and HDR10+ will only be disapointed. Samsung is amongst the worst when it comes to consumer orientation, we can see this by their line of smartphones and now their TV business.

For me, i learned my lesson about high end tvs from Samsung, its to stay away from them as far as i can and its what im going to do when i upgrade my set later this year.
dejanh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32014 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4897 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyenz View Post
As of now our sets are EOL and will not get anymore QOL updates. Anyone who believe that we will get the hdr game patch and HDR10+ will only be disapointed.
Thank-you for your opinion. However I am happy with @Rudy1 's response and for his efforts and willingness to tell us what is currently happening.
Chuck Ebby, NTC, DM2006RI and 7 others like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #32015 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Please keep comments focused on the product and not the member
post #32016 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
HDR GAME MODE FIRMWARE PATCH:

The projected target date in November was not "missed"...it was officially postponed by the South Korean corporate offices, at the request of the executives who sign off on global OTN software distribution. Their stated concern was that the multitude of "patches" being distributed were causing unintended problems for "regular" users of the KS/KU series TVs. They instructed R&D to resolve ongoing issues before allocating any further resources to providing features that a "very small percentage" of users were requesting. Incidentally, the Q7s and Q9s received the firmware patch as scheduled, along with other fixes intended to resolve bugs in the OS. Per an email I received on December 19th from Yoon Sun Choi, a tentative date for the distribution of the HDR GAME MODE patch has not been finalized; R&D is currently working on prepping the 2018 lineup for launch, so I anticipate they'll get back to the KS/KU series and its many issues once they're done. Again, all of you who've been complaining about the "delay" need to realize this was not even on their "TO DO" list until I brought it to their attention. Gamers are not their intended global demographic for these sets, and South Korea only agreed to look into this because I was able to prove that their arch-rivals (LG) had updated their OLEDs specifically for this purpose. I've tested the patch on my Q9, and it does work...you do get to define discrete picture settings for SDR as well as HDR while in Game Mode...and once you do, the TV switches automatically depending on the input signal.
Thanks for the update on this, much appreciated! As nice as it would be to get the HDR patch for Game Mode, I'm happy to wait while the developers get a lot of bugs ironed out and then release it all at the same time.
Rudy1, jeep05, The_Donster and 1 others like this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #32017 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
Thanks for the update on this, much appreciated! As nice as it would be to get the HDR patch for Game Mode, I'm happy to wait while the developers get a lot of bugs ironed out and then release it all at the same time.
Yeah, I've been without it this long it isn't going to hurt me to wait until they work out the kinks. If it doesn't happen, that's ok too. I honestly have no idea if HDR will even kick in on my One and I'm not ready to upgrade to an X or Pro just yet.
Rudy1, mrtickleuk and Lonewolf7002 like this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #32018 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Yeah, I've been without it this long it isn't going to hurt me to wait until they work out the kinks. If it doesn't happen, that's ok too. I honestly have no idea if HDR will even kick in on my One and I'm not ready to upgrade to an X or Pro just yet.
I'm fine waiting too, at this point I'm taking a believe it when I see it stance. Samsung, as well as other manufacturers, have made too many false promises in the past. If I get the HDR patch great, if not oh well.

As far as HDR on your Xbox One, if it's the original One no but if it's the One S then yes it supports HDR. All the PS4s support HDR as well.
Rudy1, Terminader and The_Donster like this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #32019 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Right now my main concern is getting HDR or HLG to properly kick in on my C61 with Directv . I deactivated my box and using the RVU built in my TV but there are so many bugs it’s a shame. It’s the only way I can get HDR through Directv though. Any ideas on that Rudy1?

Last edited by chrisk114; 01-17-2018 at 03:28 PM.
post #32020 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Again, all of you who've been complaining about the "delay" need to realize this was not even on their "TO DO" list until I brought it to their attention. Gamers are not their intended global demographic for these sets, and South Korea only agreed to look into this because I was able to prove....
Not correct.
Back in autumn 2016 this set was the top pick from rtings.com and Digital Foundry for HDR Gaming in the mid/high end range.
The respected Digital Foundry, in particular, made an in depth review of the set and i can quote one important part:

"Annoyingly, some of the changes made to game mode when viewing HDR will have to be reversed when displaying a SDR source, as settings for game mode are currently not saved independently for HDR and SDR, unlike with movie mode. We understand that Samsung are looking into resolving this in a future firmware update"

This was back in december 2016, so Samsung was well aware of their gamer demographic needs well before you brought it to their attention.
wotudo and zakaweb like this.

Sony 65X900E (XE9005) - Yamaha YAS-107
Xbox One X - PS4 Pro

Last edited by Abex81; 01-17-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #32021 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
I'm fine waiting too, at this point I'm taking a believe it when I see it stance. Samsung, as well as other manufacturers, have made too many false promises in the past. If I get the HDR patch great, if not oh well.

As far as HDR on your Xbox One, if it's the original One no but if it's the One S then yes it supports HDR. All the PS4s support HDR as well.
Totally, and sadly, I just have a One, which I love. I've really not had many issues outside of the occasional hiccup with a DVD/BD. I'll eventually pass it down to our son once I make the upgrade, but for now it gets the job done.

post #32022 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Totally, and sadly, I just have a One, which I love. I've really not had many issues outside of the occasional hiccup with a DVD/BD. I'll eventually pass it down to our son once I make the upgrade, but for now it gets the job done.
You know you want the X....

On a side note, we sure have a lot of hostile newbs in this thread!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #32023 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk114 View Post
Right now my main concern is getting HDR or HLG to properly kick in on my C61 with Directv . I deactivated my box and using the RVU built in my TV but there are so many bugs it’s a shame. It’s the only way I can get HDR through Directv though. Any ideas on that Rudy1?
Thanks for letting me know so I didn't have to endure the RVU.

I am periodically contacting Samsung via chat, e-mail and phone to get HLG HDR over HDMI for DirecTV. Keep flooding them with requests insisting that an HDR signal from a major broadcaster is not being recognized as HDR even though the TV supports HLG already.

I am also working through DirecTV engineering who are in contact with Samsung engineering to update the Samsung firmware.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
post #32024 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post

I am periodically contacting Samsung via chat, e-mail and phone to get HLG HDR over HDMI for DirecTV. Keep flooding them with requests insisting that an HDR signal from a major broadcaster is not being recognized as HDR even though the TV supports HLG already.

I am also working through DirecTV engineering who are in contact with Samsung engineering to update the Samsung firmware.

Yeah RVU sucks. Can’t get Dolby +, audio dropouts, and programming my Harmony Remote to get it to work takes a college degree apparently. On the plus side, HDR through Directv looks great! Just want my C61 back!
azz7686 likes this.
post #32025 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4897 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:

Thanks for this. It's disappointing but (of late) less surprising to see Samsung Korea playing countries off against each other like this.
Here in the UK we have the BBC 4K iPlayer app scandal where us 2016 KS owners didn't get HLG streaming playback of their recent trial. Samsung UK insist that they've "kept their promise" because they claim to fully support broadcast HLG, and the BBC's catchup app isn't "broadcasting". Whereas it sounds from what you are saying that Samsung USA would reject Samsung UK's claim, and say they don't yet support broadcast HLG, because they are still working on it!

The Winter Olympics starts on Friday 9th Feb. We can probably expect another round of pain then, when there are gorgeous 4K HDR broadcasts that none of us can watch . Remember how amazing the snow looks in "The Revenant"...
Chuck Ebby and Terminader like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #32026 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello Everyone!

I have a 65" KS8000 for a little over a year now and been very happy with the picture quality. The smart function is a little hit or miss but overall I've been happy.

That is until couple of days ago.

I was hooking up my new PS4 Pro and noticed the top middle part of my TV's back panel was separated (about an inch wide and 1/4 inch deep). Now I was really confused as why and did some google search and found out it's a fairly well known issue.

I wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't move my TV down from the TV stand to the floor.

But the major issue is I noticed a bug (gnat) in my screen!
I can only see this if the screen is all white (saw it while I was setting up the PS4). At first I thought I had dead pixels but upon closer look it is definitely a gnat.

Also, I'm pretty sure the bug got in thru the back panel separation opening.

Luckily, I do have Squaretrade warranty but not sure if this is something they can or will fix? I mean I'm sure they can fix the back panel but the bug in the display?!

Anyone who has experience with Squaretrade warranty give me an advice as to how I should approach them?

Thanks and you guys are awesome.
post #32027 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post

On a side note, we sure have a lot of hostile newbs in this thread!

Get thee behind me Satan
Terminader and gamermwm like this.

post #32028 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
Hello Everyone!

I have a 65" KS8000 for a little over a year now and been very happy with the picture quality. The smart function is a little hit or miss but overall I've been happy.

That is until couple of days ago.

I was hooking up my new PS4 Pro and noticed the top middle part of my TV's back panel was separated (about an inch wide and 1/4 inch deep). Now I was really confused as why and did some google search and found out it's a fairly well known issue.

I wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't move my TV down from the TV stand to the floor.

But the major issue is I noticed a bug (gnat) in my screen!
I can only see this if the screen is all white (saw it while I was setting up the PS4). At first I thought I had dead pixels but upon closer look it is definitely a gnat.

Also, I'm pretty sure the bug got in thru the back panel separation opening.

Luckily, I do have Squaretrade warranty but not sure if this is something they can or will fix? I mean I'm sure they can fix the back panel but the bug in the display?!

Anyone who has experience with Squaretrade warranty give me an advice as to how I should approach them?

Thanks and you guys are awesome.
Well, don't complain to Samsung! They'll just tell you a gnat is not really a 'bug.'

post #32029 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Well, don't complain to Samsung! They'll just tell you a gnat is not really a 'bug.'

LOL. Sad but true.

post #32030 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:

Get thee behind me Satan
Thank God I wasn't drinking anything at the time when I saw this, or else it would have been flying, lol.
post #32031 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is the upscaling from 1080i cable movies to 4k on the two KS tvs fine for the users here? I mean for 1080i cable shows should I just keep using my Samsung 1080 native big screen (UN40F5000) or do the KS tvs equal it for IQ after upscaling? And if there's any IQ difference is the difference so small that it's not really an issue at all?

Even if there is a noticeable difference I can always get a KS model and dedicate it to 4k only movies/videos/shows/ from cable, br, and the net.
post #32032 of 36555 Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Liked: 12013
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
I bought a One S bare console specifically to try to get 4K HDR and Atmos working through Netflix, and I can confirm that it works perfectly with this TV. Combine that with UHD Bluray support, and all that from a device that cost <$200 is a good deal IMO.
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #32033 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCatalystonic View Post
Is the upscaling from 1080i cable movies to 4k on the two KS tvs fine for the users here? I mean for 1080i cable shows should I just keep using my Samsung 1080 native big screen (UN40F5000) or do the KS tvs equal it for IQ after upscaling? And if there's any IQ difference is the difference so small that it's not really an issue at all?

Even if there is a noticeable difference I can always get a KS model and dedicate it to 4k only movies/videos/shows/ from cable, br, and the net.
If the source is 1080i and not p, then the upscalling will reveal the interlacing artifacts when viewing content stretched to 4K. I mean, it's going to be fine for the most part and I think this set does a great job of upscaling in general, but interlaced signal will never look as good as progressive signal, regardless of how good the upscaler is. It ultimately comes down to personal preference. Me, I'm picky, so the interlacing artifacts would drive me nuts. Some people aren't bothered at all, so it's a matter of personal preference.
post #32034 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
The Winter Olympics starts on Friday 9th Feb. We can probably expect another round of pain then, when there are gorgeous 4K HDR broadcasts that none of us can watch . Remember how amazing the snow looks in "The Revenant"...
Odd, that nowhere in the official BBC release is any mention of 4k redistribution of the OBS feed, however, NBC in the US seems to be taking the HDR feed, but notably, on delay.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #32035 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
The reason there's nowhere to update is the same reason you don't manually update the YouTube website on your PC. It just changes look/behaviour/functionality whenever they change their website. You will also see that it reports your TV platform (JazzM) as well as firmware version and full chassis code in the User Agent string. So all that information goes to YouTube each time you use it

HTH
Oooh, mr tickle, you bad man. Stop feeding my paranoia!

(Wonder if that info can be blocked at router level?)
post #32036 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to say I tweeted John Archer (Writer for What Hi-Fi, Forbes etc.) following up on an earlier tweet asking him to raise the HLG issue with Samsung as follows:

Me:

"Hi John presume it was all head in the sand over at @Samsung UK re: hlg for ks7000 & ks8000? Fair to say people on samsung & avforums feel miss-sold!"

Response:

"Certainly not had an answer yet, despite multiple requests before CES, at CES, and since. Will keep on them."

I'll let you know if I hear anything more.
Terminader and Abex81 like this.

-Matt
post #32037 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Just had a friend ask me to give them advice over a new Samsung and LG set they're getting replaced via Insurance Policy.

I don't think it's too hard to guess what my advice was...
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #32038 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Unhappy UE49KS8000 owner

Guys, I'm having a big problem with mounting screws. I'm creating my own custom mounting method for the TV. You know how if you use the stock stand, there will be 4 other screw holes that are 400mm apart vertically and horizontally? I used that to assume it was VESA 400x400 and later confirmed this after some research.

According to this page from Samsung: support-us.samsung dot com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?modelname=S27D590P&home id=371940&from_osc=&idx=641281
... the VESA 400x400 uses M8 & the depth is 15mm.

I tried screwing in threading that was M8 and 15mm long, but the hole was much too narrow to fit and it didn't look that deep; this is to much frustration because I bought 4 threaded parts to connect to it, since assuming the research had concluded it would fit. The shipping cost more than the parts all together!

I just want to know what thread will perfectly fill these holes:

M = Screw size
L = Depth

Spoiler!

<null>
post #32039 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk114 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an RVU, and how would I set it up? I'd love to start getting HDR broadcasts, particularly if the Olympics are broadcast in HDR next month.
post #32040 of 36555 Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Is the issue only with the C61 unit? They have a new receiver available - wasn't sure if I should upgrade or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page