Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1098 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179955Likes

post #32911 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
Speaking just for myself, I got tired of waiting for Samsung's broken promises for HDR10+ and HLG and decided to make do with the tools that are actually available to us. I'm pleased enough with the results that I feel comfortable keeping this set for all the things it really does well.

Samsung has lost me as a customer for any future products.
I switched to HDR+ a few months ago based on what I was seeing in this forum. My cable picture is typically so poor that I figured, why not. I feel like I am getting better and clearer overall PQ now with HDR+. But I only use it for crappy cable SDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32912 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkloza View Post
It is pure travesty and hypocrisy that we have capable TVs that Samsung refuses to update to their best capability. Consumers buy what they buy to have TVs to stand the test of time...why buy Samsung's best TVs any more if they are not going to support them or their customers. I have always bought Samsung TVs...but no longer.
Yep. This isn't my first run in with Samsung over promising and under delivering. I'm moving on to an LG OLED. Some great deals on the 2017 line especially the B7A from day to day just check Slickdeals.

I'll miss the brightness of this set, but I think that will be about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #32913 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Yep. This isn't my first run in with Samsung over promising and under delivering. I'm moving on to an LG OLED. Some great deals on the 2017 line especially the B7A from day to day just check Slickdeals.

I'll miss the brightness of this set, but I think that will be about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agree there are great deals on OLEDs right now...but I don't think that Samsung's update behaviors are enough for me to jump ship and go buy a new TV. I've had the KS8000 for just over a year and I still think it's a solid TV. The difference between HDR10 and HDR10+ don't seem like a huge difference to me. At least, not enough to warrant the need to go buy a new TV. Still think Samsung sucks, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32914 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkloza View Post
Agree there are great deals on OLEDs right now...but I don't think that Samsung's update behaviors are enough for me to jump ship and go buy a new TV. I've had the KS8000 for just over a year and I still think it's a solid TV. The difference between HDR10 and HDR10+ don't seem like a huge difference to me. At least, not enough to warrant the need to go buy a new TV. Still think Samsung sucks, though.
KS8000 is still one of the best and brightest 4K HDR sets ever released for sure. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice tv. And though I will be very glad to be done with Samsung, my main reason for upgrading is size + finally jumping in on an OLED (which I've wanted to forever.....). With 4K dictating how close/far away from your tv you need to sit, and my living room seating being further back, I needed to go a little bit bigger than my 55".

My main choices came down to a 75" Sony 900E which was on sale recently at AAFES.com for a cool couple grand, or an LG OLED 65" with various online sales coming and going for the same sale price. I googled and found people who debated the exact same choice, and most said to go for the OLED. My only concerns there are panel lottery/banding and a few burn in worries. But I had the rare wife approval to do it so I'm taking the leap. I am interested to see how Dolby Vision on the OLED compares to what I've been used to with HDR 10 on the KS8000. And the fact that it can send Atmos out from it's apps via ARC is pretty cool too so I don't have to worry about my receiver not being DV compatible.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #32915 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Pretty satisfied with KS8000 but some minor things make me angry. Hdmi auto switching everytime I turn off my console annoys me. I had maybe 12 tv in my whole life but none of them had such annoying bugs. Even Sony tv with Android was super stable to me.

I have my ks8000 for almost a year and it shouldn't have been released the way it was. Smart Control is like 60% time not responding. Exchanging batteries didn't do a thing.

Ks8000 is only a good panel, everything else is more than average.

I'm trying to sell the tv right now for 900 euros. Will buy either xe9305 or lg b7 oled.
post #32916 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolyt View Post
Im aware that the KS is the better TV but Im getting a free one from Square Trade so Im curious what a good option would be, comparable to the KS. They offered a brand new MU8000 but was curious how it compared to the Q7 and the MU series.
The Q7 would be the closest you would get in that range for a direct replacement to the KS from Samsung.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
post #32917 of 36667 Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Was wondering if anybody has had this issue with motion, I know I've asked this before but I guess nobody has had the same problem. I've noticed that every so often that the motion will become choppy, motion set to off.....The biggest give away is scrolling material.. local news, sports etc....The scrolling material will become extremely choppy and eventually it will show up on screen movement.....A simple switch to a different source and back normally fixes it..... But it comes back after time...Is this a source thing? It's only happening with cable and our HD antenna
post #32918 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I recently bought a new Onkyo NR676 receiver and when I turn on UHD color to on I get no sound when watching cable. Is arc the only way to get TV audio through your receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #32919 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
I recently bought a new Onkyo NR676 receiver and when I turn on UHD color to on I get no sound when watching cable. Is arc the only way to get TV audio through your receiver?

A quick google search of your model shows all the Onkyo receivers, 646 through your 676, having issues passing HDR properly and even for those who get it working having quality issues. I would bypass the receiver either with ARC or an optical cable.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #32920 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
A quick google search of your model shows all the Onkyo receivers, 646 through your 676, having issues passing HDR properly and even for those who get it working having quality issues. I would bypass the receiver either with ARC or an optical cable.

It passes HDR with no issues with the Xbox, PS4 and my 4k Apple TV. I leave HDMI UHD Color on but have to turn it off in order for the cable box to get sound. It’s annoying because every time I watch cable I have to turn it off and then turn it back on to use any other sources. I’ll look at the optical route to see if it works.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #32921 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
My main choices came down to a 75" Sony 900E which was on sale recently at AAFES.com for a cool couple grand, or an LG OLED 65" with various online sales coming and going for the same sale price. I googled and found people who debated the exact same choice, and most said to go for the OLED. My only concerns there are panel lottery/banding and a few burn in worries. But I had the rare wife approval to do it so I'm taking the leap. I am interested to see how Dolby Vision on the OLED compares to what I've been used to with HDR 10 on the KS8000. And the fact that it can send Atmos out from it's apps via ARC is pretty cool too so I don't have to worry about my receiver not being DV compatible.
What did you end up going with? I know about 4 people that insist on me getting the LG OLED65B. Im worried about the burn in images and replacing the Samsung One Connect with either an HDMI switcher or a new receiver to replace the soundbar. Running all the HDMI cables through my wall to the TV would be a pain. Now I just have the One Connect cable going to the TV in the wall.
post #32922 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still really like my KS8000. If I were to look to upgrade, my girlfriend would kill me! How do you guys do it? lol I would love to go OLED. A more serious question, what do you guys do with your old set? Do you sell it like on Craigslist or FB or something?
post #32923 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
I have a TX-NR646 and have no issues at all passing HDR from sources, and I also run my cable box through the receiver and have no sound issues. Everything works perfectly. I'm not saying others aren't having issues, but it certainly isn't "all the Onkyo receivers". I'm guessing there are several factors involved.
post #32924 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin81 View Post
Was wondering if anybody has had this issue with motion, I know I've asked this before but I guess nobody has had the same problem. I've noticed that every so often that the motion will become choppy, motion set to off.....The biggest give away is scrolling material.. local news, sports etc....The scrolling material will become extremely choppy and eventually it will show up on screen movement.....A simple switch to a different source and back normally fixes it..... But it comes back after time...Is this a source thing? It's only happening with cable and our HD antenna
With your TV on, hold the power button down until you see the SUHD logo on the screen. Give it a couple minutes after it turns on then see if you still have motion issues.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #32925 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmachine View Post
I still really like my KS8000. If I were to look to upgrade, my girlfriend would kill me! How do you guys do it? lol I would love to go OLED. A more serious question, what do you guys do with your old set? Do you sell it like on Craigslist or FB or something?
Shes your GF.... if she were your wife that would be different.

Happy wife = Happy life.

I just move TVs around from room to room.
Rudy1, Terminader and SkyYYZ like this.
post #32926 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I enjoy my 65 in KS 8500. Great picture, plenty big. E-ARC, HDR 10+, Dolby Vision, FALD, maybe HDMI 2.1. These are all specs I'd like to have in my next TV.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #32927 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What did you end up going with? I know about 4 people that insist on me getting the LG OLED65B. Im worried about the burn in images and replacing the Samsung One Connect with either an HDMI switcher or a new receiver to replace the soundbar. Running all the HDMI cables through my wall to the TV would be a pain. Now I just have the One Connect cable going to the TV in the wall.
I ended up going with the 65" B7P. It's the Sam's Club/Costco version of the B7A with the only difference being that it has onboard "Atmos speakers" like the C7. I don't plan on using the speakers on the tv anyway lol. But that was the sale I found when I pulled the trigger. If I hadn't missed the one day sale on the 75" 900E I would have gone with that for sheer size (and although not an OLED it does have a FALD backlight).

I am a little concerned about burn in on the OLED as well, but they say most image retention is temporary and goes away. I looked into a few cases of permanent burn in and it's usually people watching the same channel like news or whatever for almost every hour of every day with a static logo.

And yes I'm going to miss the convenience of the One Connect box too. But I only run one cable out from my receiver to the tv anyway, so not too big of a difference for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmachine View Post
As you said, you can always sell it on Craigslist or FB. Or to a relative if you aren't trying to recoup too much from it. I think I'm going to ask a couple family members if they are interested, once I feel like the OLED is a keeper and not going back for any defect/reason. But I'm also tempted to keep the KS8000 as a backup just because it's one of the brightest HDR sets ever made. I'd like to demo it's brightness and HDR10 vs. the LG B7 and its Dolby Vision before I do anything else with it.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #32928 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Shes your GF.... if she were your wife that would be different.

Happy wife = Happy life.

I just move TVs around from room to room.
Haha Yeah, she's pretty much my wife though so I need to wait a bit before it's OLED time.

Quote:
I ended up going with the 65" B7P. It's the Sam's Club/Costco version of the B7A with the only difference being that it has onboard "Atmos speakers" like the C7. I don't plan on using the speakers on the tv anyway lol. But that was the sale I found when I pulled the trigger. If I hadn't missed the one day sale on the 75" 900E I would have gone with that for sheer size (and although not an OLED it does have a FALD backlight).

I am a little concerned about burn in on the OLED as well, but they say most image retention is temporary and goes away. I looked into a few cases of permanent burn in and it's usually people watching the same channel like news or whatever for almost every hour of every day with a static logo.

And yes I'm going to miss the convenience of the One Connect box too. But I only run one cable out from my receiver to the tv anyway, so not too big of a difference for me.

As you said, you can always sell it on Craigslist or FB. Or to a relative if you aren't trying to recoup too much from it. I think I'm going to ask a couple family members if they are interested, once I feel like the OLED is a keeper and not going back for any defect/reason. But I'm also tempted to keep the KS8000 as a backup just because it's one of the brightest HDR sets ever made. I'd like to demo it's brightness and HDR10 vs. the LG B7 and its Dolby Vision before I do anything else with it.
Yeah. It's definitely a great set. The only draw to upgrade right now is OLED but considering my circumstances, it's not in the cards right now.
post #32929 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Im holding off to see if the 2018 Samsungs are FALD. OLED still scares me....
Terminader likes this.
post #32930 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
As I posted previously, according to Samsung only the Q9 and Q8 have FALD backlights. The 2018 models are starting to appear on the Samsung website. Below is a link to the NU8000 (also available as a curved model, the NU8500):

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n55nu8000fxza/
Chuck Ebby likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.

Last edited by Rudy1; 02-27-2018 at 11:40 AM.
post #32931 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It scares me too. But Samsung is not making FALD sets or OLEDs any time soon. They make higher yield plain old edge lit sets because they play it safe and want to keep manufacturing costs down. Maybe they'd make a FALD at the very very top of the line that's not worth the premium price, but not mid-range FALD like Sony or Vizio.

And "QLED" is just a marketing gimmick to take potential sales away from manufacturers making OLED's. The naming is similar for a reason. I've even heard some people in stores talk about how they are so excited to try QLED over OLED's like it was already the next big thing. A lot of less informed people have already bought in to the marketing speak. Yeah, of course they say one day QLED may surpass OLED tech yada yada yada. Well that day is not today, and they are just trying to steal some sales away. And I guess if it works it works...those people still go home with a really beautiful high performance LED LCD tv, but it's a little disingenuous which is a common thread with Samsung just like the broken promises.

Sorry, long time Samsung customer here. End/Rant.
mrtickleuk likes this.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #32932 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
As I posted previously, according to Samsung only the Q9 and Q8 have FALD backlights. The 2018 models are starting to appear on the Samsung website. Below is a link to the NU8000 (also available as a curved model, the NU8500):

Infuriating

Quote:
True 4K HDR gaming with Auto Game Mode

Get a leg up on the competition - your gaming console automatically optimizes TV settings for an enhanced gaming experience with minimal input lag and ultra fast refresh rates.
By the way, Do they come with HDMI 2.1 ?

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro

Last edited by DMZ_P; 02-27-2018 at 11:53 AM.
post #32933 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I havent seen anything from Samsung that states the Q9 is FALD though?
post #32934 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterX View Post
Pretty satisfied with KS8000 but some minor things make me angry. Hdmi auto switching everytime I turn off my console annoys me.
@Rudy1 posted how to disable HDMI auto switching some months ago.

Here you go:

The following procedure disables HDMI auto detection without having to turn off anynet

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version
2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote
3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit
4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.
LonestarROB and gbenrus25 like this.
post #32935 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked: 7412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
By the way, Do they come with HDMI 2.1 ?
HDMI2.1 does not exist yet in any product sold in the world anywhere. And won't until at close to the end of 2018 at the earliest. For Samsung TVs, you're looking at the 2019 models.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #32936 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
HDMI2.1 does not exist yet in any product sold in the world anywhere. And won't until at close to the end of 2018 at the earliest. For Samsung TVs, you're looking at the 2019 models.
I see... I'm really due to change my AVR and been waiting for HDMI 2.1 AVR to come out.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #32937 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked: 7412
Quote:
I see... I'm really due to change my AVR and been waiting for HDMI 2.1 AVR to come out.
The Denon 8500H will be "firmware upgradeable" to HDMI2.1, that's the only concrete one I know of. HDMI.org haven't yet released their test kit for HDMI2.1 to manufacturers.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #32938 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If all goes according to plan, HDMI 2.1 will bring compatibility with 8K and eARC for all TV and AVR manufacturers who implement it exactly per the spec. As mrtickleuk pointed out, this should happen by 2019.

The feature set for the 2018 Samsung Q line includes Ambient Mode, in addition to VRR and Auto Game Mode.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #32939 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I havent seen anything from Samsung that states the Q9 is FALD though?
The specs will be formally announced in a couple of weeks or so, but I was assured by Samsung that the 2018 version of the Q9 would be FALD (I happen to have the 2017 model).
frank xbe likes this.

post #32940 of 36667 Old 02-27-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The specs will be formally announced in a couple of weeks or so, but I was assured by Samsung that the 2018 version of the Q9 would be FALD (I happen to have the 2017 model).
I thought you were referring to the 2017 model... makes sense now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page