Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180067Likes

post #33451 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 272
A reminder from Vincent Teoh why you should only use the dedicated Netflix app on your TV itself, and not from an external device like a game console.

pg22, Terminader, gamermwm and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33452 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Our forum posts in Germany have meant that my international petition gets more attention. Please sign the petition so you can put Samsung under pressure to release an HDR10 + update for the SUHD Tvs.

Many magazines have already shared the link to the petition for example: http://www.4kfilme.de/samsung-kein-h...eher-aus-2016/

Link to the petition: https://www.openpetition.de/petition...msung-suhd-tvs

Come on boys and girls! let's make a change
Rudy1, pg22, Chuck Ebby and 4 others like this.
post #33453 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninguno View Post
Thanks Terminader. Is there any "changelog" of changes included in the different firmwares? I'm not finding that in Samsung website.
No, unfortunately. A really bad policy from Samsung to not share that information.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
ninguno likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33454 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey everyone,

so I just had a Samsung technician here to look at my set because of the screen issues. While checking, he updated my firmware to 1210.9 via USB drive. I asked him about it, he said they received it recently from Samsung, though he doesn't know about the changes.

If there's a fix (HDR/Game Mode) in there somewhere, or HDR10+, how do I check for it for everyone? Would love to give you some heads up as to what can be expected when this maybe rolls out sometime in the future.

On another note: Idiot reset all my picture settings. Now I have to re-do everything again!

EDIT: Took pictures, as proof:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-04 um 18.28.34.png
Views:	205
Size:	770.7 KB
ID:	2384780  

Last edited by schwecker; 04-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.
post #33455 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 AM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwecker View Post
Hey everyone,

so I just had a Samsung technician here to look at my set because of the screen issues. While checking, he updated my firmware to 1210.9 via USB drive. I asked him about it, he said they received it recently from Samsung, though he doesn't know about the changes.

If there's a fix (HDR/Game Mode) in there somewhere, or HDR10+, how do I check for it for everyone? Would love to give you some heads up as to what can be expected when this maybe rolls out sometime in the future.

On another note: Idiot reset all my picture settings. Now I have to re-do everything again!

Thanks! If you haven't got a console just load up the youtube app and change your picture settings to Game mode, then when no HDR content is played set the settings to what you normally would have then when HDR content is playing change the settings to max Backlight etc. Then switch between content and see if the settings have change automatically.

*fingers crossed!*
post #33456 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmgrolsch View Post
Thanks! If you haven't got a console just load up the youtube app and change your picture settings to Game mode, then when no HDR content is played set the settings to what you normally would have then when HDR content is playing change the settings to max Backlight etc. Then switch between content and see if the settings have change automatically.

*fingers crossed!*
I actually have a PS4 Pro. I have just put in my normal settings again. So the steps I would take are:

1) Switch to PS4 Pro HDMI Input
2) Turn on game mode in the Main OS
3) Put in my HDR/Normal Settings
4) Launch HDR Content (e.g. a Netflix show via PS4 Pro App)
5) Go back to the Main OS
6) Check if by switching the settings change

Right?
post #33457 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I actually have a PS4 Pro. I have just put in my normal settings again. So the steps I would take are:

Right?

I might be wrong but when a HDR game or content is active on the PS4 pro when you go to OS the console still outputs HDR as its the content that triggers it. A more reliable test would be to boot a HDR game up with a manual setting like Horizon, or just boot a none HDR game up and then load a HDR game up to see if the settings automatically change.

Appreciate this btw, it will be amazing if this is the fix.
post #33458 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I might be wrong but when a HDR game or content is active on the PS4 pro when you go to OS the console still outputs HDR as its the content that triggers it. A more reliable test would be to boot a HDR game up with a manual setting like Horizon, or just boot a none HDR game up and then load a HDR game up to see if the settings automatically change.

Appreciate this btw, it will be amazing if this is the fix.
Alright, so I did that, it seems to work fine.
Here's the test I ran:

1) I put in my picture settings
2) Fired up the PS4 Pro and put that HDMI Input into game mode
3) Put my settings in again for that input with game mode enabled
4) Fired up Horizon: Zero Dawn since it has an on/off switch for HDR
5) Checked with the TV OSD, HDR was on
6) Turned HDR off in the games settings
7) Checked with the TV OSD again, HDR was now off
8) looked at the TV settings, no change
9) Turned HDR back on, checked OSD, checked Settings, no change

I ran this a couple of times, I also changed my settings here and there and they stay the same wether I turn HDR on or off in the games settings.

Might this be the fix?

EDIT:
Might I add, clicking the "ok" button on the remote sadly does not bring up the OSD with all picture and input info. What I did was bring up the Smart Hub and click on the active input (Playstation), then it will display all info like resulotion, UHD/HD/SD and HDR or not.
post #33459 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Right?

this is correct... go into game mode and while at the desktop of the ps4 pro before you launch a game set them to standard non hdr settings.. for example your backlight to 7 or whatever you like.... now boot the game with HDR and your backlight should jump to 100 if it senses HDR and you haven't messed with those settings before..... (fingers crossed)
post #33460 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
this is correct... go into game mode and while at the desktop of the ps4 pro before you launch a game set them to standard non hdr settings.. for example your backlight to 7 or whatever you like.... now boot the game with HDR and your backlight should jump to 100 if it senses HDR and you haven't messed with those settings before..... (fingers crossed)
Alright will try this again, will be back with results in a few minutes.
post #33461 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Liked: 7753
Quote:
Alright will try this again, will be back with results in a few minutes.
Thankyou. It is the auto-switching between two sets of settings (Backlight, Contrast, etc) that we want to check. Movie and Standard save a "HDR" set and a "SDR" set. It is this new enhancement that should be being added to Game mode.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #33462 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Alright, now I get it - this did not work.

Last time during HDR I had my backlight to 20 (maximum). In the OS, during Non-HDR, I set it to 8. Opened Horizon again, turned HDR on and it did not go back to 20.

Sorry for getting anyones hopes up, but this doesn't seem to be it
Edirol, Terminader, limitz and 1 others like this.
post #33463 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninguno View Post
Thanks Terminader. Is there any "changelog" of changes included in the different firmwares? I'm not finding that in Samsung website.
There is only our own list which we've gleaned from each other on the thread. I compiled a summary in > post #31669 < and > post #31677 < . HTH
Terminader and ninguno like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 04-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.
post #33464 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Last time during HDR I had my backlight to 20 (maximum). In the OS, during Non-HDR, I set it to 8. Opened Horizon again, turned HDR on and it did not go back to 20.

Don't apologise, nice of you to test it for us. Hopefully we will see a upgrade soon but after what Rudy said the other day it sounds like we're not getting it at all now
post #33465 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

well this is disappointing

thanks for checking it for us
post #33466 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't apologise, nice of you to test it for us. Hopefully we will see a upgrade soon but after what Rudy said the other day it sounds like we're not getting it at all now
Welcome, what did @Rudy1 say the other day, I must have missed that. Last I heard, the April firmware is still on, and will contain a backlog of bugfixes and also the Game mode enhancement so that it stores two sets of picture settings, which was ready to go but rollout was paused just before Xmas.
Edirol and Terminader like this.

post #33467 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Welcome, what did @Rudy1 say the other day, I must have missed that. Last I heard, the April firmware is still on, and will contain a backlog of bugfixes and also the Game mode enhancement so that it stores two sets of picture settings, which was ready to go but rollout was paused just before Xmas.
I just sit here thinking, what is that update the technician put on my TV, then? He said they got it a few days ago from Samsung. I was surprised and said that 1209 is not even released, to which he replied that this is very fresh but he does not know the changelog, only that they should install it on every customers TV when they get the chance.

Is there a way for me to test if there is HDR10+ in this update? I know, unlikely.
Terminader likes this.
post #33468 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just sit here thinking, what is that update the technician put on my TV, then? He said they got it a few days ago from Samsung. I was surprised and said that 1209 is not even released, to which he replied that this is very fresh but he does not know the changelog, only that they should install it on every customers TV when they get the chance.
It's very useful information though, and thankyou. It could be the version that appears on the websites soon for all we know!

Quote:
Is there a way for me to test if there is HDR10+ in this update? I know, unlikely.
Very difficult because both Samsung and Amazon refuse to flag HDR10+ in their UIs. It's getting to the point that I'm starting to suspect HDR10+ content existing is a sick joke: Amazon's press release claims that they will stream HDR10+, but is vague about which countries (originally it was just America, then someone said UK as well but I can't find a source).

Amazon has a help page (HERE) saying that they will tag HDR10+ content with a HDR10+ logo in the Amazon Prime Video app, but even the supposedly "supported" 2017 Samsung TVs do not show this logo.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 04-04-2018 at 02:05 PM.
post #33469 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
A reminder from Vincent Teoh why you should only use the dedicated Netflix app on your TV itself, and not from an external device like a game console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbDvYvvit3k
I think Vincent Teoh is a sham....but also, to note....the YouTube TV (streaming service) is one of the streaming services app that is downloadable on the TV, itself. Better picture quality and frame rate when you can run apps directly off the TV as opposed to another device.
post #33470 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
It's very useful information though, and thankyou. It could be the version that appears on the websites soon for all we know!

Very difficult because both Samsung and Amazon refuse to flag HDR10+ in their UIs. It's getting to the point that I'm starting to suspect HDR10+ content existing is a sick joke: Amazon's press release claims that they will stream HDR10+, but is vague about which countries (originally it was just America, then someone said UK as well but I can't find a source).

Amazon has a help page (HERE) saying that they will tag HDR10+ content with a HDR10+ logo in the Amazon Prime Video app, but even the supposedly "supported" 2017 Samsung TVs do not show this logo.
Thanks for the info. There's nothing I can do then, I suppose.
Well, at least the TV feels a bit snappier in the menus, but that might be my imagination. When the screen issues have been fixed by Samsung, I'll probably sell this one and move on to a B7 or C7 by LG and, hopefully, won't have to deal with this update-mess ever again
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
post #33471 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well that settles it! I’m selling this TV and getting one that does HDR10 and DolbyVision. Enough of Samsung’s lies!!
post #33472 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk114 View Post
Well that settles it! I’m selling this TV and getting one that does HDR10 and DolbyVision. Enough of Samsung’s lies!!
What are you going to get?

I think my next TV will be the Q9f Or Q8. I know they don't have DV, but they look like pretty sweet displays. I need a new TV for the family room.
post #33473 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I'll give it till the end of this month. I will never buy another Samsung TV after the bull**** they put their customers through, never had such terrible service before or had a TV so full of bugs for the majority of time I've had it.

Quote:
He said when he asked they just gave him a unusually vague answer of "bug fixes" which to me means they don't give a **** and have no intention of a game fix.

My fault for having hope, end of the day they never made a public statement or have we had any proof that Samsung were even working on the patch.
post #33474 of 36874 Old 04-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukronos View Post
What are you going to get?

I think my next TV will be the Q9f Or Q8. I know they don't have DV, but they look like pretty sweet displays. I need a new TV for the family room.
I would love to get an OLED. Burn in has me a little scared though. Maybe the LG Nano Cell LED or maybe even a Vizio M series.
post #33475 of 36874 Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
I would love to get an OLED. Burn in has me a little scared though. Maybe the LG Nano Cell LED or maybe even a Vizio M series.
No Vizio. I bought one a while back and they have done a exchange and it still has problems. They don't have the people on staff to handle the software/firmware. They use you as a beta test center and quality control. They will exchange TV's till the cow's come home. I ask how many times do you want strangers tracking thru your house.
Rolls-Royce and mrtickleuk like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #33476 of 36874 Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
@Rudy1 any news that 1210.9 doesnt have HDR game mode fix?

Rudy did say it will be in the widespread firmware release.

Maybe 1210.9 isnt the one thats going over network??

This saddens me if there will never be a game mode change. Im devoted to this TV til hdmi 2.1. No sense im buying non 2.1 now
ANEWMadrid and wotudo like this.
post #33477 of 36874 Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
The Vizio M series is a 60Hz panel, I wouldn't touch that with a stick. The problem with LG's Nano Cell is they are IPS panels, which do give better side angles than VA but it also severely limits their contrast ratio; Where a VA panel will usually get a native contrast ratio of 1:5000 an IPS panel will get 1:1000. If you're dead set against Samsung I would do Sony as the second choice, their 900F is looking good this year but if I were buying a TV it would hands down be a Samsung 2018 Q9FN.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #33478 of 36874 Old 04-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
The Vizio M series is a 60Hz panel, I wouldn't touch that with a stick. The problem with LG's Nano Cell is they are IPS panels, which do give better side angles than VA but it also severely limits their contrast ratio; Where a VA panel will usually get a native contrast ratio of 1:5000 an IPS panel will get 1:1000. If you're dead set against Samsung I would do Sony as the second choice, their 900F is looking good this year but if I were buying a TV it would hands down be a Samsung 2018 Q9FN.

I have always been a Samsung guy. I have 4 of them in my home, but this has left a sour taste in my mouth. It seems Samsung wants us to shell out another $2500 to get something that was promised to us. If you were going to do that, why bother putting out a press release and then try to wipe it out of existence. Just shoddy customer service. I may try to get a Sony 900e if they are still available.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #33479 of 36874 Old 04-05-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
No Vizio. I bought one a while back and they have done a exchange and it still has problems. They don't have the people on staff to handle the software/firmware. They use you as a beta test center and quality control. They will exchange TV's till the cow's come home. I ask how many times do you want strangers tracking thru your house.
Different brands of TVs can have different issues at times. My wife will never own a Sony again. After years of drooling at their Trinitron CRTs, she talked me into buying a 4100W LCD for our bedroom. It was fine for a few years until it fell victim to the TCON board issue Sonys of that era had. It was so prevalent that when our set's problems started there were no new replacement TCON boards to be had anywhere. No brand is perfect.
NTC and Glenee like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #33480 of 36874 Old 04-05-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 2217
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
This is not a Vizio thread nor is it a comparison thread. If you wish to compare models or talk Vizio, there are threads for that. If you have issues with this, read the first post and then take it up with a mod. Thanks.
jeep05, The_Donster and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page