Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179696Likes

post #3331 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civiszero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civiszero View Post
Try going to a input where there is no source connected to the tv
And turn smartled offf and backlight to 20
Or 15
And see what you get im curious to see if its still jetblack or more or less the same
Well, there is a warning that I have no source connected but aside from that it looks like a black screen. What were you doing when you took your pic?

I took the picture before the warning sign popped up.
So weird , so its totally black on yours no clouding no light bleed from the bottom ?
Makes me wonder if i have a faulty set again sigh..
Mine will look like yours for a bit and then go completely black. I have seen the local dimming occasionally not work depending on content. But if yours always looks like that on a black screen something may be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quick question, wanted to know if anyone here experiences this. When viewing a completely back screen with something in the center - like when you change cable channels and the channel logo appears centered on black screen, does that center area of black where the logo appears slightly lighter in a vertical band compared to the sides of the black screen? I'm sure that's just due to the tv being edge lit but wanted to make sure. More of a feathered glow than a true band. I have the tendency to make something out of nothing....
post #3333 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxFuturexX View Post
Quick question, wanted to know if anyone here experiences this. When viewing a completely back screen with something in the center - like when you change cable channels and the channel logo appears centered on black screen, does that center area of black where the logo appears slightly lighter in a vertical band compared to the sides of the black screen? I'm sure that's just due to the tv being edge lit but wanted to make sure. More of a feathered glow than a true band. I have the tendency to make something out of nothing....
Yes that's normal. The LEDs will cause blooming above and below the icon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Just a reminder to new owners and newcomers that frisbfreek and bluewhale1 have compiled some FAQ's on the first post on the first page and that you can use the search function (top of the upper right hand corner of the thread). So might be worth checking out before you ask a question that someone ask 5 pages back. Asking the same question over and over again can make the most patient person loose their mind

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3335 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the 65ks8000 for almost a month now, and am very happy with it. It was purchased to replace a Sharp Aquos that stuttered on literally every input/content type/etc. It probably made me more attuned to stutter. Using Directv, there are a few stations I see obvious stutter, and find it annoying. Its not as strong or consistent as the Sharp, but I do wish it would go away. Does anyone know if the RVU client is any better for stuttering on channels like Cooking Channel, or other known offenders?
We have a Genie already setup, and I could swap to RVU, but its somewhat complicated as I only have one coax connection in the room the TV is in. I would need to grab a DECA, or move the DVR to the other room, where a Genie client and SWM are, then hook the coax in the room the KS8000 is to the TV. Id rather not go through the extra trouble if it doesn't change anything. From what I understand the DVR being hooked via HDMI to the Television is a bit more responsive to the remote than the RVU in the tv would be.

"Intelectual Property laws will stifle competition and starve the US economy in upcoming years." April 11th, 1997
post #3336 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcover View Post
I have had the 65ks8000 for almost a month now, and am very happy with it. It was purchased to replace a Sharp Aquos that stuttered on literally every input/content type/etc. It probably made me more attuned to stutter. Using Directv, there are a few stations I see obvious stutter, and find it annoying. Its not as strong or consistent as the Sharp, but I do wish it would go away. Does anyone know if the RVU client is any better for stuttering on channels like Cooking Channel, or other known offenders?
We have a Genie already setup, and I could swap to RVU, but its somewhat complicated as I only have one coax connection in the room the TV is in. I would need to grab a DECA, or move the DVR to the other room, where a Genie client and SWM are, then hook the coax in the room the KS8000 is to the TV. Id rather not go through the extra trouble if it doesn't change anything. From what I understand the DVR being hooked via HDMI to the Television is a bit more responsive to the remote than the RVU in the tv would be.
Try connecting the Genie/DVR directly to the TV to determine if the DirecTV client is the issue. Using remote connection with RVU or with Genie client likely introduces lag time....

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
post #3337 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcover View Post
If it's anything like fios then the media server is no better than the client. I think it's the broadcast. A stuttering live broadcast or recording is fine when viewing via on demand. I've read on other forums that it is the local affiliate either broadcasting incorrectly or messing with the frame rate to squeeze in an extra commercial.
post #3338 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sorry if this topic has come up already in the thread.. No Dolby Vision for these, even with a new One Connect box? I talked to a Samsung customer support rep online yesterday who told me that Dolby would be enabled by a firmware upgrade, but I assumed he was misinformed or lying. Or maybe he means it can "display" Dolby mastered content. Everything I've read says the Dolby decoding is hardware based.

What about dynamic HDR-10? That's definitely confirmed to be coming with a firmware update?

From what I can tell, dynamic HDR-10 puts the two modes on a pretty level playing field.. And my guess is that the market will play out something like Android/Apple, with the best and most popular titles mastered for both standards?

I've narrowed it down to the KS 8000, the Vizio M and the Vizio P, if anyone's been in that boat.
post #3339 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12470 Post(s)
Liked: 11661
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy582 View Post
Sorry if this topic has come up already in the thread.. No Dolby Vision for these, even with a new One Connect box? I talked to a Samsung customer support rep online yesterday who told me that Dolby would be enabled by a firmware upgrade, but I assumed he was misinformed or lying. Or maybe he means it can "display" Dolby mastered content. Everything I've read says the Dolby decoding is hardware based.

What about dynamic HDR-10? That's definitely confirmed to be coming with a firmware update?

From what I can tell, dynamic HDR-10 puts the two modes on a pretty level playing field.. And my guess is that the market will play out something like Android/Apple, with the best and most popular titles mastered for both standards?

I've narrowed it down to the KS 8000, the Vizio M and the Vizio P, if anyone's been in that boat.

Don't put any weight into what online reps say. They usually just read from a script and if you ask them a question not on their sheet, anything is possible that could come out of their mouths.

But no, there will be no dolby vision now or anytime soon. Samsung is pushing for hdr10 to adopt dynamic metadata in order to compete with dolby vision. Zero plans.
King Richard likes this.
post #3340 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

The KS8000 already supports HDR 10. From what I have read, Dolby Vision is a hardware implementation and as such cannot be added with a firmware update. It also requires licensing fees to Dolby, so Samsung won't be supporting it anytime soon.

To alleviate some concern, all initial UHD blu-rays [will] support HDR 10, and Netflix and Amazon already do, so you won't be missing out on HDR by not having Dolby Vision.
post #3341 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I posted this a few pages ago but didn't get any responses so I just want to try one more time to see if anyone knows an answer...

Question for anyone who might know. Is there a way to have different audio settings per source like you can for picture settings? I just recently purchased the samsung soundbar HW-K550 and have it hooked up via ARC HDMI (which has worked flawlessly so far).

What is great about it is all the soundbar settings can be found in the TV audio menu since it's samsung to samsung connection so no need to ever touch the soundbar remote and the thing sounds great with the DTS Neo 2.5 setting for audio format.

However, there lies the problem. While watching TV or apps from the TV the DTS Neo 2.5 audio format works great and produces the best sound, to my ears at least. When I fire up my PS4 to play some games the audio with DTS Neo 2.5 enabled causes a noticeable audio delay, when switched back to PCM the delay is gone, so obviously there is some sort of processing going on with the DTS Neo 2.5, however, only noticeable on my PS4 setting (which is in HDMI 2/DVI port).

Maybe it's that port that is causing the audio delay because when I turn on my Xbox One (HDMI 3) with DTS Neo 2.5 on there is no audio delay. I thought I could use the built in audio delay slider to fix this but then realized my audio is what is already delayed so that slider would just make things worse and there is no way to go into the negative on that slider. My main question is, does anyone know if I can have a separate audio settings profile for each source so I can automatically have it set to PCM for my PS4 source but DTS Neo 2.5 for the rest of the sources. As of right now I can't find a way to have different audio settings for different sources like you can with picture settings. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
post #3342 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 3253
Any memory for audio settings would need to reside in the connected sound bar...and could only be enabled if each video source was connected to the sound bar instead of the TV. My Sony sound bars have 3 HDMI inputs, and I have separate sound fields for each device. No audio sync problems whatsoever.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #3343 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmiller View Post
Can anyone confirm that the MGO app here has and supports Vidity. Got the passport cinema and it's not seeing the movies that are preloaded.
FandangoNow is now available under the apps. Unfortunately it doesn't recognize my WD Passport Cinema (with vidity) so I can't purchase and download any of the UHD HDR movies. Since it doesn't recognize the drive, the free HDR movies also aren't available.

Granted that it was never promised that the KS8000/8500 series would support this drive, one would think that it would still work with newer Samsung TVs so that people can take their collection of digital media with them when they upgrade. At present, you can only watch your purchased movies on 2014/2015 Samsung TVs.

Fandango's FAQ also states that the Passport Cinema needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 port to work but the KS8000 series do not have USB 3.0.

https://help.fandangonow.com/hc/en-u...ra-HD-Download-
post #3344 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
FandangoNow is now available under the apps. Unfortunately it doesn't recognize my WD Passport Cinema (with vidity) so I can't purchase and download any of the UHD HDR movies. Since it doesn't recognize the drive, the free HDR movies also aren't available.

Granted that it was never promised that the KS8000/8500 series would support this drive, one would think that it would still work with newer Samsung TVs so that people can take their collection of digital media with them when they upgrade. At present, you can only watch your purchased movies on 2014/2015 Samsung TVs.

Fandango's FAQ also states that the Passport Cinema needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 port to work but the KS8000 series do not have USB 3.0.

https://help.fandangonow.com/hc/en-u...ra-HD-Download-

Im pretty sure none of the 2016 samsungs have usb 3.0, how stupid is that? It'll still work on 2.0 though.
post #3345 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Im pretty sure none of the 2016 samsungs have usb 3.0, how stupid is that? It'll still work on 2.0 though.
Depends on whether you believe that the mini-hub is part of the TV; the mini-hub for the KS9000 has a usb3 port. If you dont' include the mini-hub as part of the TV then one can also say the TV don't have any hdmi ports.
post #3346 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
Depends on whether you believe that the mini-hub is part of the TV; the mini-hub for the KS9000 has a usb3 port. If you dont' include the mini-hub as part of the TV then one can also say the TV don't have any hdmi ports.

Are you positive?

I have a ks9800 and I'm pretty sure my ocb mini doesn't have usb 3.0
post #3347 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I take back what I said about my replacement panel. It exhibits significant vertical banding during black and grey backgrounds.

Sorry for the quality of the pic but easiest to see on a grey background. The middle stripe is noticeable on all content where the screen is dark gray/black and any time letter box is on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770_1468725443293.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1550113  
post #3348 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I've had the 8000 (65 inch) for a few weeks and have to say it's really good. Colors are spot on and vibrant.

I replaced a Vizio P series 65 in with dolby vision - replaced twice (once for a bad color panel and the second/last time for an irritating freeze and reboot every few days). On top of that, the Vizio had a yellow hue, especially noticeable during hockey games.

I'm just very happy right now with the Samsung even if it doesn't have dolby vision support.
post #3349 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Are you positive?

I have a ks9800 and I'm pretty sure my ocb mini doesn't have usb 3.0
My mistake; took the labeled HDD usb port to mean for usb 3 & had applied the js8500 usb 3 also to be in the KS series. Rtings said that the usb3 was in the js8500.

Guess the KS9000 & KS series are downgrades.
post #3350 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
Every KS8000 series has them. In fact I just had my panel replaced and have the exact same markings (the lines and a couple dots) as the old panel. Now the sets at my local Best Buy only have the lines from your picture.

I worried about it at first but can't see the border unless I'm less than 5ft from the screen and I am never that close.

I'm happy with the panel replacement. Very little banding but a 100% grey screen only looks ok. Luckily that's a rare occasion.

The back plastic of the tv literally clips to the panel. It is now slightly cracked because we had to pull it from the panel. Samsung should include a new panel for the repair guy. Guy said this was the first set he saw with the clip on back panel and agreed that a new back should have been provided.

Ok grat, thanks then I'm not alone wtih the "symbols" and banding issue :-)
post #3351 of 36317 Old 07-16-2016, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Can anyone post a couple pics of the exact same scene in game mode versus say standard mode with the exact same settings? Just a good PS4 or xbox one game. I want to see how much the picture degrades in game mode.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
post #3352 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 01:07 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
KS8000/KS8500 FAQ
Updated: July 14, 2016
Hey @frisbfreek

I commend you on your excellent FAQ post.

Good Job my friend!

I just wanted to make a small comment on this section of your post:

Quote:
Q: What is HDR+ mode?
A: HDR+ mode is a special viewing mode... When watching non-HDR content (SDR), it scales the color depth to track Rec. 2020 spec (i.e. HDR color).
"Color Depth"/"Bit-Depth" (e.g. 8-bit; 10-bit), "Color Gamut/Space" (e.g. Rec.709; Rec.2020; DCI-P3), and "Dynamic Range" (SDR; HDR), although very closely related, are actually three separate things.

See my post >> HERE <<

Keep up the great work!

Richard
frisbfreek likes this.
post #3353 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 01:20 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:

Quote:
The KS8000 already supports HDR 10.
^^ His comment/question was actually about Dynamic HDR10 (as opposed to "Static" HDR10).

As for my personal thoughts on the "future" of the 2 competing HDR formats...

... see my post >> HERE <<

Richard
post #3354 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 01:31 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
How do I know if the TV is upscaling, or is it always doing this? For example, DirecTV for the most part outputs 1080i, Xbox One or PS3 1080p. The TV info (button 123, scroll left to i) shows the corresponding output from source?

The TV always upscales lower resolution content to its native resolution (2160p).

Yes, the displayed "Info" on the TV shows the resolution of the input/source signal.

Richard
post #3355 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 01:39 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
can someone clarify local dimming on this set for me?... My question is, I want to enjoy the highest contrast possible from near black all the way to really bright colors in the same scene. Do I want local dimming on or off? How does it effect the black levels and peak brightness when it is on compared to being off?

You definitely want "Local Dimming" (Smart LED) ON for the best contrast ratio.

"Smart LED" adjusts the brightness of individual areas on the screen in order to maximize contrast automatically. It also deepens black levels considerably and helps to attenuate backlight inconsistencies and reduce clouding.

Besides, what's the point in purchasing, and paying more for, a TV with "local dimming" if you're not going to use it?

Note: The "High" setting is usually the preferred setting for most HDR content.

Richard
post #3356 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 01:47 AM
Lionheart of AVS

[quote=agripnt;45340569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschme View Post
Hey guys - I just purchased a 65" Samsung KS8000. Great TV.

I am looking to hook up my new Vizio Soundbar (model # SB4551-D5) via an optical cable to Samsung's "connect all" attachment.

My question is - will the use of an optical cable be less desirable then an HDMI Arc setup in terms of sound quality? I do not own a blu-ray player and the only media device hooked to my soundbar would be the TV.

Congratulations on the new TV.

There is absolutely NO difference in audio quality between an ARC and an Optical connection.

So go ahead and connect with your optical cable... and enjoy!

Richard
The_Donster likes this.
post #3357 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
You definitely want "Local Dimming" (Smart LED) ON for the best contrast ratio.

"Smart LED" adjusts the brightness of individual areas on the screen in order to maximize contrast automatically. It also deepens black levels considerably and helps to attenuate backlight inconsistencies and reduce clouding.

Besides, what's the point in purchasing, and paying more for, a TV with "local dimming" if you're not going to use it?

Note: The "High" setting is usually the preferred setting for most HDR content.

Richard
Thanks for clarifying. It's just the rtings rating for local dimming was 5 and it was unclear what he was saying. So I appreciate the clarification.
King Richard likes this.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
post #3358 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 837
[quote=King Richard;45405497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agripnt View Post

Congratulations on the new TV.

There is absolutely NO difference in audio quality between an ARC and an Optical connection.

So go ahead and connect with your optical cable... and enjoy!

Richard
Correct for standard DD51.1 and DTS. However for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD you need to use HDMI.
post #3359 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I would like to buy the KS8000 49" as a HTPC monitor, trough an Onkyo 4K receiver, will the TV work as a HTPC monitor without major problems?
LegendarySushi likes this.
post #3360 of 36317 Old 07-17-2016, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray View Post
I've seen the same thing. So I just leave it as Receiver now.
I know that I adopt this solution renames every time, unbearable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page