Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180251Likes

post #34051 of 37060 Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
I believe Samsung considers it a "mandatory" update, so your TV will get it eventually if it's connected to the Internet. And you can't revert to older firmware on these. The TV won't let you.
Yes the TV is hardwired to the Internet but I have my settings to only update manually, it is been asking me if I want to for a while now just haven’t clicked the button to do it , So I’m still running on the old firmware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34052 of 37060 Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of sound mind View Post
Yes the TV is hardwired to the Internet but I have my settings to only update manually, it is been asking me if I want to for a while now just haven’t clicked the button to do it , So I’m still running on the old firmware
It has been considered by some people, myself included, that it improves the HDR brightness. It may be a placebo effect, but I think that it's much better now in a well lit environment. I also reduced the SDR backlight from 12 to 9.
Terminader, srkmish and mrtickleuk like this.
post #34053 of 37060 Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The consensus here is that this is a pretty good update. Everyone seems to agree that HDR material seems brighter, and someone even did some readings that backed that up. Also, the Game Mode HDR profile was a huge addition to us gamers.

I say go for it!
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34054 of 37060 Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6057 Post(s)
Liked: 8749
Quote:
Yes, but what @Rolls-Royce is saying, and what Samsung have done, is that this update is "mandatory". Eventually the TV will ignore your preference to only update manually, and it will update whether you like it or not. That is what is meant by a "mandatory" update. Only a few select and very significant firmwares carry this status, and this is one of them. Samsung have built this "secret" functionality into the TV for use at its discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysak View Post
Everyone seems to agree that HDR material seems brighter, and someone even did some readings that backed that up.
I wonder who that was
Rolls-Royce and Terminader like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-23-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #34055 of 37060 Old 05-23-2018, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Love my ks 8000. Beautiful tv. Hoping to find another one this summer for vacation home. Just entered the world of streaming and have a question......the main streamers like Netflix and Amazon play beautiful but for some reason the other services like Vader streams the picture play for a few seconds then freezes. Shame because the picture quality is AMAZING! Actually better than Netflix and Amazon. Manual says tv is MKV compatible,which some of these 4k movie files are. Any ideas or help?
I'm just now hearing about Vader; never been into the whole Kodi/IPTV thing, to be honest. I would say you might need more speed for flawless streaming, but I was getting by with 50/50 on FiOS until a very recent, free upgrade to 150/150. Guess what? I still get network drops despite the boost. Firmware updates on either the router, the KS, and/or any device attached to it could optimize the Wi-Fi signal for better streaming.

There's also the 25-/50-foot Ethernet cable option if you want to bypass wireless altogether.
post #34056 of 37060 Old 05-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So this is third time the KS8000 has failed me. Yet to last an entire year without an issue. The first time it was defective out the box (the remote wouldn't connect), the second time it was turning on and off constantly, and finally, the third time, it has lines on the screen.

My warranty ran out but a while ago Samsung mailed me about Samsung Protection Plus. If I purchase this will Samsung fix the TVs issue without charging me extra?
post #34057 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
You probably shouldn't do that even if it can be done. Note that other sources feeding a receiver don't have adjustable volume. This is to prevent overdriving and damaging the receiver's preamp section. HDMI has voltage and current limits, and you don't want to exceed those. Use your receiver's volume control instead.
Some AV receivers like my Denon allow the levels of individual inputs to be set independently. Check your owners manual.
Terminader likes this.
post #34058 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVercetti View Post
So this is third time the KS8000 has failed me. Yet to last an entire year without an issue. The first time it was defective out the box (the remote wouldn't connect), the second time it was turning on and off constantly, and finally, the third time, it has lines on the screen.

My warranty ran out but a while ago Samsung mailed me about Samsung Protection Plus. If I purchase this will Samsung fix the TVs issue without charging me extra?
I could be wrong but once your factory warranty runs out it is too late to purchase the extended warranty. You could always give it a shot. If you have Directv you can get the protection Plan Plus that will fix your TV for $50 but there may be a waiting period once you sign up.
MrVercetti likes this.
post #34059 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'm having the weirdest (and frustrating) apps issue - they simply won't load the vast majority of the time.

Except for Netflix and Amazon, which never fail to load. And it gets even odder: Youtube is a big offender; the app simply gets stuck at a blank screen unless I choose one of those handful of videos it shows thumbnails for. Then it (usually) loads. Other apps that fail are Vudu, Showtime, Facebook Video, etc. I've re-installed the apps, soft-rebooted via remote, and removed power for a few minutes. All to no avail.

And again: this never happens with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Any ideas, folks?

x1000.
post #34060 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6057 Post(s)
Liked: 8749
I have noticed YouTube has been unreliable lately too. The normal method of holding down the "return" button on the remote has been problematic. I've had to resort to going into the "Apps" section an "reinstalling" it. (Long-press select to get the menu).
The_Donster likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #34061 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Windows 10 SDR Slider

The 1803 Edition of Windows 10 has an SDR brightness slider that only affects SDR content. The idea is that you can toggle on HDR in Windows but still enjoy a pretty good picture even if you aren't watching a 4K movie or playing a 4K game. You don't constantly have to toggle HDR off. You can leave it on. It kind of works like HDR+, except when a 4K movie plays, the artificial HDR is deactivated. The default setting for the slider is 40 out of 100. It seems strange that the default isn't 50. Anyway, I have an Nvidia 1050ti graphics card in my HTPC. I think the sweet spot for setting the slider is about 80 for my 65" KS8000. Here is an article about it. It suggests maxing out the brightness slider to 100 for SDR content.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3269...-settings.html

One other thing, since the fall creator's update of Windows 10, Microsoft no longer includes the HEVC codec. You have to download it for .99 cents from the Windows Store. Without it, your HTPC won't play 4K videos unless you use a third party media player. The article below is dated. It says the download is free. It's not free anymore.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/play-h...-on-windows-10
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by volumnus1; 06-05-2018 at 07:44 AM.
post #34062 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
I'm having the weirdest (and frustrating) apps issue - they simply won't load the vast majority of the time.

Except for Netflix and Amazon, which never fail to load. And it gets even odder: Youtube is a big offender; the app simply gets stuck at a blank screen unless I choose one of those handful of videos it shows thumbnails for. Then it (usually) loads. Other apps that fail are Vudu, Showtime, Facebook Video, etc. I've re-installed the apps, soft-rebooted via remote, and removed power for a few minutes. All to no avail.

And again: this never happens with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Any ideas, folks?

x1000.
Same here with Facebook video and a couple of my streaming apps....
post #34063 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodeus View Post
I'm just now hearing about Vader; never been into the whole Kodi/IPTV thing, to be honest. I would say you might need more speed for flawless streaming, but I was getting by with 50/50 on FiOS until a very recent, free upgrade to 150/150. Guess what? I still get network drops despite the boost. Firmware updates on either the router, the KS, and/or any device attached to it could optimize the Wi-Fi signal for better streaming.

There's also the 25-/50-foot Ethernet cable option if you want to bypass wireless altogether.
Thanx but I am hard wired with 200mb speed. It’s gotta be something with the mkv files. When the movie is an mpg it’s BEAUTIFUL. Watched the Disney film African Cats and it was amazing!
post #34064 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Been having issues with YouTube too. Other apps seem to be fine, but haven't had a lot of time to watch much outside of Match Game right before I fall asleep.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #34065 of 37060 Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Weird but Youtube app has been acting weird for me as well. I just use the back button and restart it. The other apps do once in a while when I first power the tv on and hit an app right away. I've had the tv since January of 2017 and have not had any screen issues and have been very happy with it. I cringe everytime I turn it on to use since so many on the board here have had so many problems and I'm just waiting for something to go wrong but it hasn't and fingers crossed, it doesn't. I actually started using the steamlink app on the tv, streaming from my pc in my studio running an I5 and GTX 970 and I've been playing games all day. The 360 controller works directly hooked up to the tv OCB and so does a wireless keyboard and mouse, which I never thought of trying till recently. If Direct TV app became available on the TV, I could get rid of the Apple TV and use the app natively. As long as the tv keeps chugging along as well as it has, I don't see myself getting another tv for a while.
Lonewolf7002 likes this.
post #34066 of 37060 Old 05-25-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
Weird but Youtube app has been acting weird for me as well. I just use the back button and restart it. The other apps do once in a while when I first power the tv on and hit an app right away. I've had the tv since January of 2017 and have not had any screen issues and have been very happy with it. I cringe everytime I turn it on to use since so many on the board here have had so many problems and I'm just waiting for something to go wrong but it hasn't and fingers crossed, it doesn't. I actually started using the steamlink app on the tv, streaming from my pc in my studio running an I5 and GTX 970 and I've been playing games all day. The 360 controller works directly hooked up to the tv OCB and so does a wireless keyboard and mouse, which I never thought of trying till recently. If Direct TV app became available on the TV, I could get rid of the Apple TV and use the app natively. As long as the tv keeps chugging along as well as it has, I don't see myself getting another tv for a while.
It could be that Samsung broke something on the TV as I don't use the internal TV apps but a Roku and operation with that device has remained solid. Since I posted this it will probably go South today.
post #34067 of 37060 Old 05-25-2018, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well, the tech came by yesterday and said my panel is shot and that he's not sure BB will have him fix it, due to the high cost of a replacement. If that's the case, I'm sure curious to know what my options will now be? I debated waiting until next year, to put in my claim when HDMI 2.1 comes out but decided not to, just in case something were to change or happen in a year, like my kids breaking it. You just never know?
post #34068 of 37060 Old 05-27-2018, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I just cannot get Netflix to play anything. Getting the "We're having trouble playing this title.." error with a tvq-pb-101 error code. I googled the code and learned that it was an internet connection issue which it can't be because the internet is fine -- Youtube and Amazon Prime both work on the TV. So I'm assuming that this is a problem with the firmware? Anyone?
post #34069 of 37060 Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey guys, do fw 1220 have hdr pc mode, or hdr10+?And is there any news?
post #34070 of 37060 Old 05-27-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne117 View Post
Hey guys, do fw 1220 have hdr pc mode, or hdr10+?And is there any news?
Yes, no and no.
ez1dog likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #34071 of 37060 Old 05-27-2018, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajid View Post
I just cannot get Netflix to play anything. Getting the "We're having trouble playing this title.." error with a tvq-pb-101 error code. I googled the code and learned that it was an internet connection issue which it can't be because the internet is fine -- Youtube and Amazon Prime both work on the TV. So I'm assuming that this is a problem with the firmware? Anyone?
You might need to reload the Netflix App.

Go to the options in app and select Quit Netflix.

Alternatively you can pull the plug for about 5 minutes to clear the in TV cache/memory/whatever it is.

I notice Netflix sort of "used" up memory more often than Youtube hence needed to clear it off every now and then.
post #34072 of 37060 Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Looking for a little help on what I believe everybody is calling " micro stuttering". When I first got this set I was one of the lucky ones when it came to motion problems, the set literally had none with all motion settings off. Over my last 2 updates, the latest being the 1220 I can't seem to trouble shoot it. It's only really happening with cable, certain channels and mostly sports. We are fairly new to direct TV and I want to say this all started when we switched from Comcast to Direct. I have tried everything I've seen on this site, nothing is working. I've read on here that scaling back to 720 on my direct TV genie should help this, but if I un click my 4k box on the resolution I lose my 4k channel capability....Granted it's only 2 channels, but it's incredible!! I've tried all motion settings, I've tried turning off uhd color and just about everything else I've read on here. We were watching the celtics game tonight on ESPN and it was literally like a buffer on every panning shot. Any ideas? Something I've missed?
post #34073 of 37060 Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi All,

Been lurking for the past 30 pages or so. Overall I like my KS8000 and haven't had any issues. With my extended warranty coming to an end next month, are there any common problems that I should be looking for that aren't blatantly obvious?
post #34074 of 37060 Old 05-28-2018, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanderna View Post
Hi All,

Been lurking for the past 30 pages or so. Overall I like my KS8000 and haven't had any issues. With my extended warranty coming to an end next month, are there any common problems that I should be looking for that aren't blatantly obvious?
If you don't know by now...…..
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #34075 of 37060 Old 05-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanderna View Post
Hi All,

When I watch hockey, I have 2 yellow lines on the bottom of my screen. You could always put on an all white screen and look for any uniformity defects? In my case, it's looking like BB is going to replace my panel, so I sure hope it's not a refurbished one, like some other people recieved and weren't too happy with. Anyone know how you can tell, if a replacement panel is new or refurbished?
post #34076 of 37060 Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I was messing with settings on my KS800D today. I noticed on Picture Size, where I had it on "Auto", it was shrinking the image. I changed it to "on" and the image expanded revealing more content up/down and each side.

I am not sure if the latest update did this, but I thought "auto" and "on" did the same thing but evidently not.
post #34077 of 37060 Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnSpaulding View Post
Mine won't let me use 'Amazon Fire TV', it says there are too many characters. I can fit 'Amazon Fire' and that's about it. Using this didn't give me any icon either. I also tried 'Amazon TV' and 'Fire TV'. Ah well..
Were you ever able to get your TV to recognize the Fire TV?
post #34078 of 37060 Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

Somebody may have asked this question. Already but is there a specific calibration for upscaling video to 4k? I have a Nvidia shield and I would like the ks8000 to upscale content instead of the shield.
post #34079 of 37060 Old 05-29-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
When I watch hockey, I have 2 yellow lines on the bottom of my screen. You could always put on an all white screen and look for any uniformity defects? In my case, it's looking like BB is going to replace my panel, so I sure hope it's not a refurbished one, like some other people recieved and weren't too happy with. Anyone know how you can tell, if a replacement panel is new or refurbished?
That's the same problem I had, yellow discoloration on white backdrops, visible most obviously during hockey or the winter olympics (for me it was a small column close to the lower right hand corner). Absolute pain to get Samsung to certify it for replacement but it ended up working out.

My replacement panel was brand new and the repair tech I dealt with had never heard of installing a "refurb panel" when I asked him, FWIW. The order receipt he gave me from Samsung had the panel part number, which I looked up online and cost $1200 or thereabouts (depending on where I looked) which is actually the same as what I paid for the set altogether originally. I took it out of the box with him, took a picture of the inside, certainly looked factory new and showed no sign of being a refurb to me.

But that's Samsung so I can't vouch for how BB goes. Either way good luck!

Last edited by DM2006RI; 05-29-2018 at 04:52 AM.
post #34080 of 37060 Old 05-29-2018, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I was messing with settings on my KS800D today. I noticed on Picture Size, where I had it on "Auto", it was shrinking the image. I changed it to "on" and the image expanded revealing more content up/down and each side.

I am not sure if the latest update did this, but I thought "auto" and "on" did the same thing but evidently not.
When auto is selected, I estimate zoom at approximately 4%. This eliminates scan lines on certain sources such as cable TV where you would otherwise see what appears to be a line of static or an image wobble along one edge. I set mine to custom (2%x2%) for the cable TV HDMI input and Fit to Screen (1:1) for all other inputs/sources. 4K content is automatically set to Fit to Screen ON and the option is unavailable when those inputs are receiving the 3840X2160 signal.

Here are a couple of articles that expand on the subject:

https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-y...re-on-your-tv/

https://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...me=UN55B7100WF
ThaBEN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page