Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179714Likes

post #34231 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
OK the Roku+ option may not be giving accurate HDR but by God it looks stunning to me!
i couldnt put down £60 for something i will use for 3 weeks if every game was on BBC then maybe but just cant justify it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34232 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
i couldnt put down £60 for something i will use for 3 weeks if every game was on BBC then maybe but just cant justify it
This is only a trial. Expect more from the BBC in the future. Wimbledon? I don't plan to replace this TV for awhile so £60 to enjoy upcoming HDR from the BBC is a bargain to me
post #34233 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post

Some other things maybe to consider before buying a roku stick. I have had mine for just a couple of days and already a number of issues have shown up.
First of all I will say the world cup on iplayer uhd/hdr works fine. Maybe it isn't quite true hdr but looks pretty good to me.

The issues I have found.
1. My amp will not pass 4k so have had to plug the roku stick direct into the OCB. This has caused a Dolby Digital issue on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. Seems the Roku Stick does not transcode the DD+ to DD. The KS8000 doesn't transcode either so you end up with Stereo sound. If someone knows different on this I would be pleased to here from you.
2. The Amazon Prime App does not pass HDR, supposedly being worked on but don't hold your breath. The App itself is pretty basic compared to the one on the Fire TV or the KS8000 app but unfortnately for me the KS8000 app appears to stutter and seems to drop frames. I was hoping that the Roku Stick would get around this which I believe it does apart from HDR. No Xray on the Roku app either.
3. Spotify does not work at all. It seems it was withdrawn some months ago so it could be rewritten to 'improve our experience' so that probably will never reappear either.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34234 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Some other things maybe to consider before buying a roku stick. I have had mine for just a couple of days and already a number of issues have shown up.
First of all I will say the world cup on iplayer uhd/hdr works fine. Maybe it isn't quite true hdr but looks pretty good to me.

The issues I have found.
1. My amp will not pass 4k so have had to plug the roku stick direct into the OCB. This has caused a Dolby Digital issue on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. Seems the Roku Stick does not transcode the DD+ to DD. The KS8000 doesn't transcode either so you end up with Stereo sound. If someone knows different on this I would be pleased to here from you.
2. The Amazon Prime App does not pass HDR, supposedly being worked on but don't hold your breath. The App itself is pretty basic compared to the one on the Fire TV or the KS8000 app but unfortnately for me the KS8000 app appears to stutter and seems to drop frames. I was hoping that the Roku Stick would get around this which I believe it does apart from HDR. No Xray on the Roku app either.
3. Spotify does not work at all. It seems it was withdrawn some months ago so it could be rewritten to 'improve our experience' so that probably will never reappear either.

I just bought the Roku 4K/HDR stick to replace my Roku Ultra which had been recently having issues with audio drops. The stick I purchased is working flawlessly. I have it plugged directly into the back of my receiver which does pass 4k/HDR so I can't say my set up is identical to yours, but I think the problems you are having with DD+ pass through should be resolved in settings. I can also say for certain the Amazon Prime app does pass HDR10. Roku does make several sticks. I hope you got the right model. I'm in the US if that makes any difference.

post #34235 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
I just bought the Roku 4K/HDR stick to replace my Roku Ultra which had been recently having issues with audio drops. The stick I purchased is working flawlessly. I have it plugged directly into the back of my receiver which does pass 4k/HDR so I can't say my set up is identical to yours, but I think the problems you are having with DD+ pass through should be resolved in settings. I can also say for certain the Amazon Prime app does pass HDR10. Roku does make several sticks. I hope you got the right model. I'm in the US if that makes any difference.

I did read that the Amazon Prime HDR issue had been fixed in the US but has not reached the UK yet, hopefully it will sometime in the near future. Getting towards the time I should think about replacing my receiver now that 4k and HDR content is increasing.
Chuck Ebby and Terminader like this.
post #34236 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
agd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Crosspost for my thread in display calibration, used an android app called Color Grab to set the 10 point (or two point) and it looks great. Can answer panel specific questions here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html
Terminader likes this.
post #34237 of 36337 Old 06-19-2018, 02:34 PM
agd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For those discussing HDR and the World Cup, Layer3 TV is expanding their normal 4k feeds to include the Fox/FS1 4k HDR World Cup feed. Broadcasts that are normally on the Fox HDR broadcast (ie Rus v Egypt) it's coming across in glorious 60fps 4k HDR.

Layer 3 is available in certain markets, and you don't need to subscribe to their internet package for the cable television. If you can try them out for the tournament I highly recommend it... I'm getting amazing HEVC cable tv (massive step up from comcast), 4k HDR select broadcasts, and I don't have a dish strapped to my house.

Happy to answer any questions, I'm not affiliated but I suffered through comcast long enough that I want to help people step up to something better, especially with how much this panel highlights the flaws in poor video feeds.

EDIT: I forgot to mention you can actually see the difference between when the TV grabs the HDR feed and when it doesn't. During the first couple matches the picture would be intermittently washed out, like others have mentioned needing huge gamma shifts to look right. When it grabbed the HDR feed it would change to my HDR settings in TV menu, and the gamma/colors/brightness would snap into being correct/vibrant. Not sure if it's on the broadcast end or what, but it was interesting to see a feed sans HDR wrapper and how it looked.... sharp but washed out and off.

Looks like Fox isn't using HLG, and I bet layer 3 is pulling the same feed as direct tv, interesting that the dtv set top box wasn't sending the right signal for the tv to enable HDR.

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/from-ru...p/2882.article

Last edited by agd; 06-20-2018 at 05:48 AM.
post #34238 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfallat111 View Post
I picked a broken 55" KS8000 (UN55KS8000FXZA) on Craigslist. I'm 99% sure it's the panel and I just need to part everything out, but I wanted to get confirmation here before I did that. Here's what it looks like when powered on:

Is there any chance it's NOT a bad panel?
Did you drop the tv or did it get hit?
If not it could be a bad board (t-con maybe)?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
post #34239 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

TCON was my thought as well...
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #34240 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by agd View Post

Looks like Fox isn't using HLG, and I bet layer 3 is pulling the same feed as direct tv, interesting that the dtv set top box wasn't sending the right signal for the tv to enable HDR.

DirecTV engineering told me that they check the display device through it's EDID to see if it can handle HLG content. Since the KS8000 EDID says 'no', DirecTV chooses not to send HLG. DirecTV engineering discussed with Samsung engineering, but it was not clear if Samsung would change the EDID.

I inserted an HD Fury Integral between the DirecTV STB and my TV and instructed the Integral with one simple checkbox to tell the DirecTV STB that it can accept HLG and now enjoy the great quality of this TV with the type of content it was designed for.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Rolls-Royce and Chuck Ebby like this.

Last edited by Terminader; 06-20-2018 at 09:56 AM.
post #34241 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
DirecTV engineering told me that they check the display device through it's EDID to see if it can handle HLG content. Since the KS8000 EDID says 'no', DirecTV chooses not to send HLG. DirecTV engineering discussed with Samsung engineering, but it was not clear if Samsung would change the EDID.

I inserted an HD Fury Integral between the DirecTV STB and my TV and instructed the Integral with one simple checkbox to tell the DirecTV STB that it can accept HLG and now enjoy the great quality of this TV with the type of content it was designed for.

Which EDID box did you check?

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34242 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Which EDID box did you check?
Under EDID Automix....HDR/HLG.

Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #34243 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Under EDID Automix....HDR/HLG.

Thank you sir. I was under the EDID Custom submenu. Appreciate the help!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34244 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you sir. I was under the EDID Custom submenu. Appreciate the help!
Yep, and I read somewhere that it was also good to check the BT2020 box but I don't see any difference. Someone on this forum may have a perspective on that.

Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #34245 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, and I read somewhere that it was also good to check the BT2020 box but I don't see any difference. Someone on this forum may have a perspective on that.

Yeah, I also checked Full Sound. Not sure if it matters or not.

I have to say, the HDR channels look pretty stunning now. I recorded the Cubs game from a few nights ago, and it's stunning.

Thanks for testing one and sharing your thoughts. That's what led me to getting one.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34246 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

My KS had the same thing happen to it. I called Geek Squad and they said T-Con over the phone so they ordered me a Main Board. They are coming out on Saturday to replace it. My TV was not knocked or hit. Kids were playing Xbox One and it just happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_104316.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	2418692  
post #34247 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have to say, the HDR channels look pretty stunning now. I recorded the Cubs game from a few nights ago, and it's stunning.

Thanks for testing one and sharing your thoughts. That's what led me to getting one.
Amazing picture. No motion blur issues when content quality is high and panel is being fed what it was designed for!!

There's occasional good content depending on your preferences on DirecTV channel 104. Not all content is HDR so when you get used to stunning HDR and then a show is just 4k with no HDR, what used to be great 4k content can be a letdown. Kind of like stereo until you had 5.1 audio...

Oh, and don't forget to change your expert picture settings to Gamma -3 and select Current Source only instead of All Sources!

Last edited by Terminader; 06-20-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #34248 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I had an older Sony HX929 and NX720 that had the same issue, but usually they'll ask if has been dropped or hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
My KS had the same thing happen to it. I called Geek Squad and they said T-Con over the phone so they ordered me a Main Board. They are coming out on Saturday to replace it. My TV was not knocked or hit. Kids were playing Xbox One and it just happened.
post #34249 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amazing picture. No motion blur issues when content quality is high and panel is being fed what it was designed for!!

There's occasional good content depending on your preferences on DirecTV channel 104. Not all content is HDR so when you get used to stunning HDR and then a show is just 4k with no HDR, what used to be great 4k content can be a letdown. Kind of like stereo until you had 5.1 audio...

Oh, and don't forget to change your expert picture settings to Gamma -3 and select Current Source only instead of All Sources!

I've been watching 104 pretty frequently, even if the program isn't what id normally watch. Watched a show called Drone Wars just because the PQ was great. But I imagine now, I'll be watching even more!

I hope they keep adding more HDR sports events. That's more up my alley.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34250 of 36337 Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very glad that the HD Fury Integral is performing for you as you were hoping.

I am actually a WC and soccer fan. Not watching this year because of the venue.
Rudy1 likes this.

post #34251 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very glad that the HD Fury Integral is performing for you as you were hoping.

I am actually a WC and soccer fan. Not watching this year because of the venue.
I'm with you on the location. In fact the US decided not to go at all because of the location(actually we didn't qualify, but my version sounds better....)

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34252 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Scummy Samsung still not supporting 4K iplayer on my £1500 KS7500, yeah you just lost a customer.
post #34253 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agd View Post
For those discussing HDR and the World Cup, Layer3 TV is expanding their normal 4k feeds to include the Fox/FS1 4k HDR World Cup feed. Broadcasts that are normally on the Fox HDR broadcast (ie Rus v Egypt) it's coming across in glorious 60fps 4k HDR.

Layer 3 is available in certain markets, and you don't need to subscribe to their internet package for the cable television. If you can try them out for the tournament I highly recommend it... I'm getting amazing HEVC cable tv (massive step up from comcast), 4k HDR select broadcasts, and I don't have a dish strapped to my house.

Happy to answer any questions, I'm not affiliated but I suffered through comcast long enough that I want to help people step up to something better, especially with how much this panel highlights the flaws in poor video feeds.

EDIT: I forgot to mention you can actually see the difference between when the TV grabs the HDR feed and when it doesn't. During the first couple matches the picture would be intermittently washed out, like others have mentioned needing huge gamma shifts to look right. When it grabbed the HDR feed it would change to my HDR settings in TV menu, and the gamma/colors/brightness would snap into being correct/vibrant. Not sure if it's on the broadcast end or what, but it was interesting to see a feed sans HDR wrapper and how it looked.... sharp but washed out and off.

Thanks for the post. Not to stray too far off subject but the potential for this service is intriguing. Not in their area now but if they can get around the geo-restrictions this could become a really big player.

post #34254 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

I had not heard of these boxes .. Is this the guy?
https://www.amazon.com/HD-Fury-4k-In...dfury+integral

would the monoprice version work? It says it supports HDR (the price difference is substantial)
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115...dfury+integral

Cheers for the tip!
post #34255 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

would the monoprice version work? It says it supports HDR (the price difference is substantial)

Cheers for the tip!
I purchased the HD Fury Integral directly from monoprice

Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #34256 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
I purchased directly from monoprice

But that is the correct thing and it will allow the correct message to be sent to the DTV box? I'd get it from monoprice too, but I was already on amazon trying to figure out what to get.
Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #34257 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But that is the correct thing and it will allow the correct message to be sent to the DTV box? I'd get it from monoprice too, but I was already on amazon trying to figure out what to get.
You need the HD Fury Integral https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCMl0QAvD_BwE

Someone posted they were able to get the less expensive HD 4k AVRKEY to work also from monoprice.

Chuck Ebby and JMCecil like this.
post #34258 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cheers for the tip!
Yes, I bought mine from Monoprice last week when they had a 20% off $150 code. Saved me a lot.

ADDED*** as Terminader said...make sure to get the actual HDFury Integral.
Chuck Ebby, JMCecil and Terminader like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34259 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You need the HD Fury Integral https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCMl0QAvD_BwE

Someone posted they were able to get the less expensive HD 4k AVRKEY to work also from monoprice.

Darn it. You are making me rethink biting the bullet on Directv.

post #34260 of 36337 Old 06-21-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, tough call.

For me, DirecTV HDR content looks amazing on this TV but you have to invest in a third party product to get HDR due to TV HDMI EDID limitations.

Hoping DirecTV continues to expand content but they rely on content providers to produce 4K HDR.
Quote:
Darn it. You are making me rethink biting the bullet on Directv.
Chuck Ebby and jconjason like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page